Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who suffered more career wise Diana Scarwid or Faye Dunaway due to Mommie Dearest?

I guess it is hard to compare. Faye's fall has been well documented but Scarwid was a really interesting actress.

I watched that Guyanna Tragedy a while ago and she is really quite good in that. And Inside Moves is a lovely performance.

I guess she bounced back a bit with Extremeties and Silkwood (but I think Silkwood shows how far she had fallen. She was an Oscar nominee and had done a major role in Mommie Dearest but in Silkwood it is almost like a cameo.)

by Anonymousreply 67July 8, 2021 7:00 AM

Scarwid was lucky she had a career. Could an actor be more flat and blasé' than her? I felt compelled to finish her sentences even though I didn't know what she was going to say.

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2021 11:56 PM

Watch Guyana (it was on youtube at least least year or so when I watched it.)

She's quite compelling in it.

(plus Brenda Vaccaro! Irene Cara!)

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2021 11:59 PM

Scarwid suffered more, because Dunaway had a hell of a career before Mommie Dearest. She was around 40 by then, so was bound to see her star fade, anyway, and she'd had a hell of a run.

Scarwid was still quite young at the time, and her career never did recover. So I'd say she was more harmed than Faye.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2021 12:05 AM

I have to watch Honeysuckle Rose. She was in that. I just taped it off TCM a few months ago.

Her Oscar nomination is kind of shocking. She beat out heavy publicized contenders like Beverly D'Angelo in Coal Miner's Daughter and Debra Winger in what was hailed as a star making performance in Urban Cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2021 12:09 AM

I UNDERSTAND....

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2021 12:10 AM

Scarwid's next job was a year later on TV in the famous Tv movie where Helen Hunt freaks out on drugs and jumps out the high school window.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2021 12:11 AM

I’m not sure Scarwid’s career suffered because she hadn’t really had one at the time. Dunaway suffered, certainly, but I don’t think it’s the sole reason her career took a downturn in the ‘80s. She also made a bigger deal out of the movie’s initial reception than she needed to, refusing to discuss it in interviews and then blaming the director and attributing all her misfortune to it. If she had embraced her role, and certainly many people now recognize it as a brilliant performance in an otherwise so-so movie, people might have been more sympathetic towards her. Dunaway’s own neuroses and lack of sense of humor, which plagued her before Mommie Dearest, are what stymied her career.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2021 12:19 AM

Scarwid's Oscar nom was a bit of a one-off.

She's carved out an interesting career as a character actress. She was great in the sort of "younger Holland Taylor" or "younger Susan Sullivan" role in "Wonderfalls."

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2021 12:27 AM

Scarwid is so…mannered, I guess. I like her and find her interesting to watch but I don’t expect she ever would have had much of a leading lady career. Even if Mommie Dearest had been a smash hit I don’t think Hollywood would have known what to do with her.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2021 12:32 AM

Young Christina who got fat and ended up on Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2021 12:32 AM

Faye was already on the downslide. It was really Eyes of Laura Mars that was the beginning of the end, not Mommie Dearest. Then that thankless supporting role in The Champ. "Eyes" is fun but she looked so matronly in it.

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2021 12:40 AM

She played Jake Weary's fat boozehound mother in an episode of L&O:SVU.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2021 12:44 AM

"Matronly"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2021 12:50 AM

My career suffered too!

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2021 1:06 AM

Scarwid has a sense of humor, unlike Faye, about the film. Diana has worked for years and managed to get an Emmy nomination for Truman years later. I think her career trajectory probably would’ve been the same. Faye career was hurt more because of the film. She says people thought she was too much like the Crawford in MD, but if you listen to that insane voicemail in the 90s and the horror stories about her, she IS like the Crawford in the film. Her reputation really caught up with her after MD.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2021 1:11 AM

What's MD?

by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2021 1:15 AM

Moby Dick, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2021 1:18 AM

I wonder why Scarwid retired. Did Miss Dunaway run her out of Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2021 1:19 AM

r13 She didn't look like that in the film.

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2021 1:20 AM

[quote] She played Jake Weary's fat boozehound mother in an episode of L&O:SVU.

That was her???

Rofl. I loved that lady. She played the character so well.

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2021 2:04 AM

Diana Scarwid looks like Medusa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2021 2:16 AM

Nobody needed to see Diana's GRANNY PANTIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2021 2:17 AM

I’m sorry, but I LOVED Mommie Dearest. I thought it was a terrific film and I thought Fay Dumaway was great in it. Never understood all the hate on that film.

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2021 2:21 AM

It took Supergirl, for Faye to hit rock-bottom. A super villainess driving Buick Riviera, no less.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2021 2:28 AM

[quote] Never understood all the hate on that film.

The critics were NOT one of their faaaaaaannnnzzzzzz!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2021 2:29 AM

It's not like MOMMIE DEAREST is the most embarrassing work in Faye's mixed career, that includes the aforementioned SUPERGIRL and THE EYES OF LAURA MARS, two movies much harder to sit through than MD, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2021 3:39 AM

Then, of course, there's THIS....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2021 3:42 AM

This thread is idiotic.

Of course the person who suffered the most was Viola Davis.

End of thread.

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2021 4:18 AM

Dunaway suffered more from her personal demons and lack of humor than a movie role.

Scarwid was always going to be a character actress. She's turned in some really great performances over the years and I think she's done fine. To me, her worst performance is in MD. She's flat and lifeless in just about every scene like she's phoning it in. Maybe she thought she needed to tone her performance down when she saw how over the top Faye was in the scenes. Maybe she tried to add a little levity to the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2021 4:50 AM

She was quite intimidated by Faye. Rutanya Alda's book details finding a crying Scarwid in the parking lot after a days work. I think she says Scarwid didn't understand why Dunaway hated her.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2021 4:56 AM

Mara Hobel turns 50 on Friday. I feel so ancient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2021 5:09 AM

Why exactly did this film hurt them? It's 40 years later and we're still discussing this film.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2021 5:26 AM

Pretty sure Scarwid made the choice or was directed to underplay Christina to Crawford's cranked to 11 Joan, I think that is actually the biggest problem with the film, when they're in scenes together their performances look ridiculous, with Faye's hystrionics making Scarwid look like she is lacking in affect and vice versa. Their performance energies needed to be much more in synch. If Scarwid wasn't directed to do that and made the choice to underplay Christina it's a pretty devious move as she makes Faye look like a jackass.

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2021 6:28 AM

Scarwid is actively annoying to watch.

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2021 6:29 AM

R33, Freudian slip, which shows how great Dunanaway's performance was as Crawford. The character of Christina had to be defeated by the character of Crawford, whomever played either actress.

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2021 10:02 AM

R31, I can't remember it that well, but I'm pretty sure Hobel didn't deserve two Razzie nominations. She was a kid for heaven's sake!

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2021 2:41 PM

I've seen a few mentions of Inside Moves on here recently and really need to look it up.

Scarwid has been a perfectly good character actress as an adult but I did think she was terrible in Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2021 2:58 PM

R13 I remember another thread we had on here where a couple of people were arguing over whether Dunaway was fat in The Eyes of Laura Mars or not, and I hadn't considered her to be even remotely fat, but back in the day apparently people were somewhat obsessed with the weight she'd gained for The Champ and they thought she hadn't lost enough of it by the time she was in Laura Mars.

If you look at photos promoting the film you'll see her in capes and weird poses that were apparently meant to disguise the weight gain. There's even that weird hat that I guess is meant to make her face look thinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2021 3:10 PM

r38 She filmed Laura Mars before The Champ.

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2021 3:15 PM

Sorry r39, I didn't bother to figure out which thread it was (there are a lot of threads on Faye Dunaway) so I didn't re-read the post and went by memory.

Turns out it was a thread on Lee Grant! Whatever film it was, it was two pictures after Network, but since there is a made-for-TV movie in there no one was sure which film it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2021 3:25 PM

Beverly Hills Madam.

by Anonymousreply 41June 17, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote] Jake Weary's fat boozehound mother

Excuse me!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 42June 17, 2021 6:27 PM

[quote]R36 Hobel didn't deserve two Razzie nominations. She was a kid for heaven's sake!

So was I,[italic] just a kid!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 17, 2021 7:09 PM

Dunaway claims she gained weight for THE CHAMP because she thought it would make the character appear more maternal.

Of course, the actress was also faking a pregnancy for the press at the time, while secretly adopting a son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 17, 2021 7:17 PM

R11- She was only 26 years old in The Thomas Crown Affair but she looked at LEAST ten years older.

by Anonymousreply 45June 17, 2021 7:25 PM

That was the styling of that era.

by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2021 7:28 PM

R23- and I LOVE my sewing 🧵 machine.

by Anonymousreply 47June 17, 2021 7:30 PM

I get LESBIAN vibes from Diana Scarwid.

by Anonymousreply 48June 17, 2021 7:32 PM

Scarwid gives a very campy performance (along with Helen Hunt) in the 1982 TV movie "Desperate Lives." Worth checking out.

by Anonymousreply 49June 17, 2021 7:36 PM

Pauline Kael on Silkwood: "There's no vulgar life in Silkwood except for Diana Scarwid's Angela, a cosmetician in a mortuary who has an affair with Dolly [Cher] and lives with the three for a while. Scarwid does a vaudeville turn that rouses the audience from its motion-picture-appreciation blues. Standing ramrod straight, and with her bottom packed into pastel pants, she gets laughs out of her tight walk; she gets laughs out of lines that have no laughs. She prolongs syllables and twists meanings--she sounds like Jean Harlow as a Valley Girl. Scarwid seems to be the only person connected with the movie who isn't worried about not being artistic enough. (When she and Kurt Russell are bitching at each other, they're a terrific team.) And it's a lucky thing that Angela the cosmetician is around to ply her professional skills on this movie, because Silkwood is a stiff."

by Anonymousreply 50June 17, 2021 7:48 PM

Poor angry Pauline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 17, 2021 9:12 PM

Scarwid (which was just autocorrected to “scared”) was in the Brooke Shields vehicle BRENDA STARR… which did nothing for anyone’s career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 17, 2021 10:48 PM

What is this from? She looks fab.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 17, 2021 10:50 PM

Did she have work done? She looks like a young Eleanor Parker.

by Anonymousreply 54June 17, 2021 10:58 PM

R53 That is from Wonderfalls, which is utterly fabulous and I always recommend it to everyone.

She played Karen Tyler. As I said at R8 she sort of plays a Susan Sullivan/Holland Taylor type sophisticate. Caroline Dhavernas, Katie Finneran and yes, Lee Pace are her children on the show. It's clever, if more wry and thoughtful than haha funny, but she's great.

by Anonymousreply 55June 18, 2021 1:30 AM

I finally saw "Inside Moves" last year. It starts off well, then pretty quickly flattens into TV movie blandness. The cast do what they can, but the writing doesn't offer them much to work with.

by Anonymousreply 56June 18, 2021 4:33 AM

I wonder why she retired. She hasn't worked since 2011.

by Anonymousreply 57June 18, 2021 7:11 AM

I would say that Laura Linney is the poor man's Diana Scarwid, but comparing the two it would have to be the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 58June 18, 2021 2:51 PM

Diana is 65. She's probably not living in LA any longer.

by Anonymousreply 59June 18, 2021 4:22 PM

I believe she is residing in her home state of Georgia now.

by Anonymousreply 60June 18, 2021 4:45 PM

It is deeply mystifying to read people writing that Faye Dunaway's career died after MD. She won an Emmy in 1994, was nominated for 5 Golden Globes after MD and won TWO, and was nominated for a SAG in 1998 for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television!!! That's not shabby at all. Of course, the quality of the films declined, but she continued to exist as a working actress. She has made over a hundred films since MD (it's almost the same number of films on Isabelle Huppert's filmography). She turned down the role of Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream and Jane Fonda's part in The Great Beauty (it was stupid to do that, since she said yes to so many shit movies). She lost her standing as a great lead star, sure, but she kept on working.

by Anonymousreply 61July 7, 2021 3:57 PM

R27

What the hell was that??

So awkward and cheesy and cringe. And who is that brunette tomboy gypsy weirdo girl?

by Anonymousreply 62July 7, 2021 4:12 PM

Unless you are Jeane Dixon, it's difficult to convincingly argue that Scarwid was harmed by MOMMIE DEAREST. IMDB makes it clear that playing Christina Crawford was her big break.

Before that, five years of television. After it, SILKWOOD and after that she has at least one film in almost every year that followed until 2011 when it stops. IMDB says she retired and returned to her native Savannah, GA.

Without MOMMIE DEAREST, it could easily have been five more years of parts on television and then an exit from the business that no one noticed. She was not exactly on a roll when the Crawfords came a'calling.

by Anonymousreply 63July 7, 2021 4:21 PM

Umm, Have you seen my filmography after 1981?

1981 Mommie Dearest Barbara Bennett

1981 Dark Night of the Scarecrow Mrs. Ritter TV movie

1983 Starflight: The Plane That Couldn't Land Mrs. Harvey TV movie, (final film role)

by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2021 4:41 PM

Diane had a great, thankless cameo as the snobby mother of DL fave Selma Blair in the the underrated 2003 movie, "A Guy Thing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 7, 2021 5:06 PM

yes she was r63.

She had just been nominated for an Oscar for Inside Moves. That's what got her the part in Mommie Dearest. She probably had other offers too.

by Anonymousreply 66July 8, 2021 5:45 AM

She had that scintillating brio the role requires.

If only she’d played tiny tot Christina, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 8, 2021 7:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!