Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'LOVE VICTOR' STAR MICHAEL CIMINO I'M GETTING DEATH THREATS For Playing Gay CharacteR

Michael Cimino says he's catching tons of heat for playing a gay character in "Love, Victor" ... and he claims some haters are even threatening his life.

Michael, who plays the title character in the Hulu romance series, says he's getting ripped by some people in the LGBTQ community for taking a gay role when he's straight in real life.

MC told Attitude -- a gay magazine in the U.K. -- he was expecting to catch flak going into the project, but now says some of the reaction is crossing the line. The 21-year-old star is fully aware many people have a problem with straight actors getting gay roles while gay actors are often forced to stay in the closet. Michael's promising to be an ally by continuing to fight for LGBT rights ... even after he's done playing the role of Victor.

Sounds like Michael's getting heat from all angles, including from his own family. He says some of his own relatives are spouting off homophobic comments about the show and his character ... something he didn't expect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 30, 2021 3:52 PM

He should die for directing a piece of shit movie Heaven's Gate.

I did like The Deer Hunter though

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2021 11:47 PM

[quote] 'LOVE VICTOR' STAR MICHAEL CIMINO I'M GETTING DEATH THREATS

Fans should know the price I pay!

Mayer should know the price I pay!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2021 11:48 PM

I love you, Michael! Now take your clothes off.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2021 11:49 PM

If you can't find an openly gay/bi young male actor to play the lead in a show about a gay teenager, well, that's an indictment against the pool of talentless/uncharismatic openly gay/bi young male aspiring actors.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2021 1:01 AM

[quote] If you can't find an openly gay/bi young male actor to play the lead in a show about a gay teenager, well, that's an indictment against the pool of talentless/uncharismatic openly gay/bi young male aspiring actors.

Not necessarily, and not at that age.

Most guys don't come out until their mid to late 20's, if even that. Actors come out even later, if at all.

If someone is out in their late teens to early twenties, chances are that they're the Chris Colfer type, and are pretty flaming.

Flaming isn't a bad thing, but it does limit the roles they can play.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2021 1:03 AM

Playing?

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2021 1:08 AM

He's a 21-year-old pretty young actor in Hollywood. The haters should just wait, odds are his heterosexuality won't have a long shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2021 1:54 AM

R5, that's why I said "openly gay/bi."

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2021 7:25 AM

In general, I don't think it's ok to harass someone. However, I do hope that more openly gay actors do get cast in straight roles like hottie Jonathan Bailey in Bridgerton.

I think at the end of the day, I believe that's the desired goal for actors, especially the gay ones (but the straight ones as well), to have a legit chance to play "against type" and get cast.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2021 7:47 AM

It's called fucking acting.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2021 7:48 AM

What is this bullshit that only gay actors can play gay characters? If that’s the case then the logical extension is that gay actors should never play straight characters...in which case their careers would be over because 98% of roles are straight.

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2021 8:00 AM

This bullshit again? Also, (most) openly gay/bi actors are insufferable, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2021 8:54 AM

It's 2021, all these threats are traceable. He should post each and every threat online and out these people. Don't give them the power.

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2021 9:11 AM

R5 I would hate for a straight person to read your comment and think it's normal for a 21st century gay guy to come out at 27. It totally fine if you did it this way but let's not pretend it's normal. Pretty much all the gay guys I know came out in their teens and did so because they were comfortable. They weren't forced out because they were flaming Chris Colfer types who could never hide it. Timely pop-culture reference btw. Are you even gay?

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2021 9:32 AM

R13 You're assuming they actually exist.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2021 9:35 AM

He should just say he is AMAB non bianary but uses he him pronouns. He doesn’t have to change anything and can still be called a hero.

by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2021 10:20 AM

He is an actor so he probably isn't straight so those people need to relax since there will be gay rumors about him as he becomes more famous and he comes out twenty years from now.

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2021 10:24 AM

Shut up r17

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2021 12:21 PM

R14, your experience is NOT every other gay person's experience.

I don't know ANYONE who came out in their teens.

My friends all came out after college and moving away from their parents.

You're so fucking judgmental. "Are you even gay?"

Yes, I'm fucking gay. And so are my friends. And NONE of us came out in our teens. So who the hell are you, to tell us that WE are the ones who aren't "normal??"

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2021 4:11 PM

R19 If you wanted to talk about your life you should done that without saying "most guys". I don't know anyone who came out in their late 20s but I didn't write a post saying "most guys come out in their teens". You spoke for too many people. I don't want you as my spokesperson.

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2021 7:46 PM

"some people in the LGBTQ community" = "Queer" girls who think a fucked up hair color is a personality.

by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2021 7:51 PM

I can tell this QUEEN 👸 is gay from OUTER SPACE

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2021 7:54 PM

also r19 did you see the part where I made it clear that my experiences are not everyone's experiences? Unlike you who appointed yourself King of the Gays and used the wrong and idiotic MOST GUYS.

"It totally fine if you did it this way but let's not pretend it's normal. Pretty much all the gay guys I know........"

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2021 7:57 PM

R18. Take your own advice.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2021 8:11 PM

Being actually gay in real life shouldn't be a prerequisite for being cast to portray a gay character. Also being heterosexual shouldn't be a prerequisite to playing straight character. Also casting Latinos does not have to include all varieties and hues of skin color either. This ridiculous and extremist interpretation of being woke is being absurd and is already having significant blow-back in business in communities and even politics. I can almost guarantee that the 2022 and 2024 will show Republicans taking back the house and the senate while Democrats split hairs on culture wars while Republicans roll back all the progress we have made in the last 50 plus years.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2021 8:42 PM

R25 is oh-so-concerned

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2021 8:46 PM

Rolling my eyes at r14. Obnoxious

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2021 9:19 PM

Always knew Mikey was a power bottom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2021 2:18 AM

Well, it beats having your career die when you come out as gay.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2021 2:22 AM

Why are all Michael Ciminos closeted?

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2021 2:30 AM

"If you can't find an openly gay/bi young male actor to play the lead in a show about a gay teenager, well, that's an indictment against the pool of talentless/uncharismatic openly gay/bi young male aspiring actors."

Then can find charismatic actors who are openly gay.....they just choose to cast straight actors instead. I guess some people would rather trash gay actors, though

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2021 2:33 AM

This was from months ago, why is TMZ acting like this is new news?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2021 2:35 AM

"This ridiculous and extremist interpretation of being woke is being absurd and is already having significant blow-back in business in communities and even politics."

Nope, more people are actually leaving the GOP than ever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2021 2:35 AM

"This bullshit again? Also, (most) openly gay/bi actors are insufferable, anyway."

You're the one who is full of bullshit. I prefer openly gay actors to lying closet cases or straight guys who expect to be patted on the back for playing a gay character

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2021 2:36 AM

As soon as an openly gay actor gets an award nomination for playing a gay character, then it'll be true equality.

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2021 3:11 AM

Straight guys complaining about playing gay wah wah wah. So sick of this shit. You get to go back to your breeder life, and we're stuck living with this type of hate 24/7 from your people.

Just another example of why gays need to be played by gays. Straights do not have the capacity to handle this. Also - if black characters are forced to be played by blacks, etc., where is the same respect for us? It feels like we - gay men - always get the short end of the stick, especially when it comes to Hollywood representation (partly because we're undermined by our own, Murphy and Berlanti in particular).

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2021 6:20 AM

[quote]Then can find charismatic actors who are openly gay.....they just choose to cast straight actors instead. I guess some people would rather trash gay actors, though

There aren't any at that age. They basically don't exist.

The Kurt Hummels of the gay community are not charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2021 7:11 AM

And it’s even harder to find masculine hot young gay guys

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2021 1:32 PM

R38, Cimino isn't very masculine, so....

R37, Camino isn't "charismatic" so....

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2021 7:09 PM

Oldest trick in the PR book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2021 7:39 PM

Cimino is more masculine than most of the gay guys his age though. He’s straight and no one’s gaydar would be activated by him.

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2021 7:51 PM

^ That makes no sense "Let's cast a gay character with someone who doesn't seem gay!"

In order to bash out actors this guy's defenders have to pretend he's a cross between Tom Cruise and John Wayne. Once the show ends, we'll never hear from him again

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2021 9:37 PM

Well for better or worse the Simonverse is about ‘straight acting’ guys who come out as gay. Look at Nick Robinson as Simon.

And as someone pointed out upthread, worldwide, how many 21 year old youngish looking actors are out as gay AND are vaguely masculine? Probably a handful. None of them Latino and in Hollywood most likely.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2021 10:11 PM

R43, Connor Jessup is the only young openly gay actor who is vaguely masculine.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2021 10:13 PM

Joey Pollari is also vaguely masculine, at least on screen.

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2021 10:20 PM

Though admittedly neither is 21 now.

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2021 10:20 PM

R46 not a problem!

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2021 11:15 PM

He'll be dating that other 'straight-acting' nelly Joshua Bassett by the end of the year.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2021 11:44 PM

At least Joshua Bassett is out... as something... R48

by Anonymousreply 49June 22, 2021 12:29 AM

His first role?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 22, 2021 12:33 AM

R44 R45 The "vaguely masculine " posters always nice to hear from 1965.

by Anonymousreply 51June 22, 2021 12:36 AM

Please, at the end of the day, who are most gays fantasizing about? Michael Cimino or Chris Colfer?

At the end of the day, this is about selling a fantasy, not reality.

I could not watch a "Love, Kurt Hummell" series.

by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2021 7:33 PM

[quote] Please, at the end of the day, who are most gays fantasizing about? Michael Cimino or Chris Colfer?

And who can they relate to more? Remember, this is Datalounge after all. Know your audience.

by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2021 7:37 PM

Because Chris Colfer is the only out gay actor in the world *rolls eyes*

Michael Cimino isn't Rambo either and, for a "straight" guy, he has cookie face big time

by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2021 7:38 PM

R41- He looks gay from OUTER SPACE.

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2021 7:43 PM

R54, have you ever heard of the Goldilocks point? Not too machismo, not too queeny, but JUST RIGHT? That's someone like Nick Robinson, Michael Cimino, Joshua Bassett, etc.

by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2021 7:44 PM

Sorry, but when you masc worshippers call Michael C. masculine I'm so not seeing. He's a cute twink, but so not masc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 24, 2021 7:47 PM

R57, you are correct. These people are just looking to put down gays to prop up a "straight" man

by Anonymousreply 58June 24, 2021 7:53 PM

R56 I'm curious as to who you're putting at the masculine end of that spectrum if the likes of Cimino and Bassett are in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 59June 24, 2021 8:36 PM

Why does the actor need to be handsome? There are a HUUUUUGE numbers of average to ugly gay guys in the world who would like to be represented on screen as well.

by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2021 9:32 PM

R59- That BIG MOOSE of a football player that just came out.

by Anonymousreply 61June 24, 2021 11:49 PM

Twinkapolloza!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 25, 2021 1:31 AM

^ 3 bottoms do not a top make.

by Anonymousreply 63June 25, 2021 1:31 AM

who is this twink bottom Joshua Colley in Michael’s story? They look fresh from taking a shower. Did they fucked cuz that fey boy has freshly fucked face.

by Anonymousreply 64June 30, 2021 1:07 AM

[quote] Michael Cimino isn't Rambo either and, for a "straight" guy, he has cookie face big time

Rofl!

WTF is "cookie face?" That's a new one for me.

by Anonymousreply 65June 30, 2021 1:10 AM

Love that photo at R62!

Who are the other two guys with Cimino?

by Anonymousreply 66June 30, 2021 1:13 AM

Actually, Michael (middle) and the twink on the left are both really cute.

The guy on the right is a butterface.

by Anonymousreply 67June 30, 2021 1:15 AM

[quote]What is this bullshit that only gay actors can play gay characters? If that’s the case then the logical extension is that gay actors should never play straight characters...in which case their careers would be over because 98% of roles are straight.

OH,

DEAR.

It's not about who can play what role, it's just that gay actors want the same opportunities as straight ones.

If the usual line of thought was, "I didn't get this straight role because I'm gay" then when a straight actor gets cast in a gay role then that line of thinking becomes, "Okay, maybe they don't want me at all."

Did they see openly gay actors? Were they open to casting openly gay actors? Was there a bias towards openly gay actors? The answer to this is usually: they didn't, they probably weren't, and yes it's likely there was.

Some of us are getting a little tired of seeing the same 8 openly gay actors (who likely spent years closeted to establish themselves) in everything for the past decade and even those guys never reached the same level of popularity as their straight counterparts.

[quote]Being actually gay in real life shouldn't be a prerequisite for being cast to portray a gay character. Also being heterosexual shouldn't be a prerequisite to playing a straight character.

Correct. Correct.

[quote]Also casting Latinos does not have to include all varieties and hues of skin color either.

WHO IS EVEN TALKING ABOUT THIS WITH THIS PROJECT!?!?

by Anonymousreply 68June 30, 2021 1:29 AM

He ain’t straight.

by Anonymousreply 69June 30, 2021 1:33 AM

Most Talented Bussy.

by Anonymousreply 70June 30, 2021 1:35 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 30, 2021 1:36 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 30, 2021 1:38 AM

R71 tells the boring dispiriting truth. Most twinks including this one are straight.

by Anonymousreply 73June 30, 2021 8:45 AM

Neither one of them are pretty, r71, r72.

by Anonymousreply 74June 30, 2021 10:40 AM

Gaydar has to be updated and fine-tuned for today's generations.

In a more repressed society it's far more easier to find the baked cookies sniffers.

When guys can wear (black or colorful) nail polish, mascara, and dye their hair in fabulous ways, dress up in elaborate costumes (cosplay), be fabulous chefs and bakers of delicious goods, twerk their perfect asses for likes on social media, french kiss their buddies on TikTok... it's not that easy.

by Anonymousreply 75June 30, 2021 3:25 PM

^ Half the DL boomers posting here from their moldy closets won't even wear a pink t-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 76June 30, 2021 3:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!