Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Velma of 'Scooby-Doo' has a history of pushing identity boundaries. Not everyone is happy about it.

[quote] Mindy Kaling’s new HBO Max “Scooby-Doo” remake casts Velma as Asian, a move that’s been met with racism and concerns that the portrayal plays into the model minority myth.

I was a kid and I knew that Velma was a big ol dyke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2021 6:12 AM

There are adults who care about Scooby-Doo characters?

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2021 9:43 PM

[quote]big ol dyke.

DFBTQ - remove “lesbian” and replace it with “d-ke”. And of course, remove “gay” and replace it “f-gs”.

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2021 9:46 PM

Velma pushed “identity boundaries”? Because she didn’t have a boyfriend and didn’t act helpless? She even wore a shirt skirt, for fucks sake. Not all women are Barbies.

And what is a cartoon East Asian going to be like? Smart with an accent, and super obedient? I’d be cool with it if she were just NORMAL like Kumar in the Harold and Kumar movies. Just a normal person who happens to have brown skin.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2021 9:48 PM

I had no idea about Velma. I thought she was in love with Fred who was always paired with Daphne. I did think it was unfair that Velma was often paired with hapless Shaggy and Scooby. It was clearly atractiveness bias by Fred and Daphne!

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2021 9:49 PM

Nonsense, everybody knows ole Scooby was licking that thing on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2021 9:50 PM

OP = worse than Hitler and those lousy meddling kids

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2021 9:52 PM

Rumor has it that Scooby was fucking Velma. She refused to have an abortion and Scrappy Doo was born.

How how else could you explain that he was still a dog but spoke English?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2021 10:15 PM

^Ruh Row^

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2021 10:16 PM

The most disturbing part is that there are adults that are paid actual to think up things like this.

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2021 10:17 PM

Mystery Incorporated is probably the closest we ever get from the franchise allowing Velma to have a girlfriend with Marcie Fleach, better known as Hot Dog Water, voiced by Linda Cardellini. And even that show started with Velma dating Shaggy and then breaking up with him, because of Scooby Doo being constantly around.

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2021 10:21 PM

Scooby was definitely non-binary.

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2021 10:26 PM

Her name is Velma so I'm assuming she's Filipino.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2021 4:24 AM

Western journalists are silly.

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2021 6:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!