Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Millennials are about to get screwed yet again if Biden doesn't cancel student-loan debt

Federal student-loan debt payments are set to resume this fall, coupled with higher interest rates.

Biden has yet to fulfill his campaign promise to cancel $10,000 in student debt per person.

If he doesn't, it would be just another way millennials get economically screwed.

See more stories on Insider's business page.

Millions of Americans have enjoyed a reprieve from the squeeze of student debt during the pandemic. But, come fall, the student-debt crisis could pick up where it left off - or snowball into an even bigger problem.

The pause on student-loan payments and zero interest accrual that have been in place since March 2020 will lift at the end of September. When it does, borrowers will be paying 1% more in interest than they did in 2019. Although rates are still relatively low compared to previous years, Forbes reported that the new interest rates will cost borrowers as much as an additional $590 per $10,000 borrowed on a 10-year repayment term.

The impending lift on the payment pause, coupled with rising interest rates, doesn't bode well for millions of borrowers, who have been able to stay financially afloat during the pandemic without the burden of paying off their student-loan debt. That's especially true for millennials, for which student-loan debt has been one of many balls in a long-time juggling act of financial challenges.

Many have been hoping they wouldn't have any student-loan debt at all come fall - or at least, a much lighter load.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230June 22, 2021 6:25 PM

Vote for Republicans, they're so good at helping the little people!

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2021 3:25 PM

I'm all for lowering the interest rates to reasonable rates. I'm not for forgiveness.

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2021 3:25 PM

Just wait for The Absolutely Perfect Boomers and Gen X to offer their little snotty 2 cents on this subject

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2021 3:27 PM

Go to state universities.

PS - did you know the state university system in CA used to be free? City University of NY used to be free, too. Just a negligible fee for both systems.

Guess who cut higher education funding in California & instituted tuition. Go on, guess which CA Governor did that.

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2021 3:32 PM

Getting screwed for having to pay their own bills?

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2021 3:35 PM

Just like Boomers and GenX got bailed out for their stupid ass home loans that they couldn't pay off. UGH I FUCKING HATE THEM. I'm so glad I'm going to see them get OLD.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2021 3:37 PM

On the one hand, the article says "Many have been hoping they wouldn't have any student-loan debt at all come fall - or at least, a much lighter load."

But the actual amount Biden promised to cancel was $10,000, which is a drop in the bucket for many, many people.

Given that, why would anyone think they wouldn't have any debt in the fall?

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2021 3:38 PM

R3 I'm Gen X and I fully support this. Thr federal government is fleecing borrowers with these contracts and interest rates. Borrowers have paid off their principal balances and now just paying interest. When banks do stuff like this, they get reamed for it. When thr government does it, everybody sticks their nose up and ignores it. My friend has paid off her full principal balance (amount borrowed) five years ago and is STILL making monthly payments to her federal student loan. So she's essentially giving $305 a month to the government. That's $3,660 a year. It's a shady form of taxation.

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2021 3:39 PM

R7 because there have been other proposals from government officials (mainly senators and reps) this year. At one point Schumer, Warren and others were pushing for 30 to 50 thousand in forgiveness.

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2021 3:41 PM

When Baby Boomer and GenX get old, I will vote for whatever makes them suffer the most. I want to seee them suffer. I DESPISE both of them.

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2021 3:44 PM

Two problems:

First, "cancelling" student debt is not like cancelling someone for making a joke or not abiding by ridiculous notions of social justice. It costs money. Who exactly do you think is going to pay for it? It's not magic or simply "paper" - real money was spent and paid based on the idea of an ongoing cashflow from debt payments.

Second, nice try in "blaming" Biden, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2021 3:44 PM

R6, when did mortgages get forgiven? I missed that one.

R8, that’s the way interest works. No bank has ever gotten in trouble for collecting interest.

by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2021 3:46 PM

[quote] [R6], when did mortgages get forgiven? I missed that one.

You can declare bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 13June 16, 2021 3:48 PM

Yeah, I may actually vote Republican next cycle….

Hopefully they repeal SS like they’ve been saying. Or are they lying like Democrats?

Either way Millennials get screwed. Good luck drawing on your SS when my paycheck is getting garnished from the never decreasing student loan burden…

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2021 3:54 PM

I live so that I can see the Perfect Baby Boomers and Gen X get old and suffer.

by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2021 4:01 PM

You’d think college-educated people would be able to recognize an empty promise when they heard it.

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2021 4:02 PM

How about we stop giving money to Israel and spend it on debt forgiveness?

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2021 4:03 PM

R13, when you file bankruptcy you don’t get your mortgage forgiven, you still have to pay it and all accrued interest if you want to keep the house. If you can’t pay that you lose the house. The reason student loans aren’t covered in bankruptcy is that you can’t lose your education. You still have it, it can’t be repossessed, like a house or car or other material goods. If it were allowed, everyone would run up hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans and declare bankruptcy the day after they graduated.

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2021 4:04 PM

R16 Oh You'll see, you fucking bitch. You will get yours and you will see.

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2021 4:06 PM

Did parents not love their children enough to help pay it off? My dad helped me out cause he doesn’t hate me.

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2021 4:09 PM

OP is a shit stirring asshat.

You know what they say about shit stirrers?

The have to lick the spoon.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2021 4:14 PM

Well, for the person saying he hates gen Xers and Boomers, I'm gen X and still have my student loans too. I'm right there with you. Too the guy who said didn't your parents love you enough to help pay them off? No, I guess they don't love me that much. Is that something to mock? I don't think I will ever be able to pay off my loans. I made plenty of bad choices, plenty. But now what?

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2021 4:14 PM

Gee,I borrowed $300,000 dollars to get a Liberal Arts degree and now I have to pay it back ! The horror ! Fuck them,they shouldnt have been so fucking stupid to go into that kind of debt . My dumber than dumb nephew spent 5 years (yes 5 years) getting a degree in physical education .He had a full scholarship due to playing football,but it only covered 4 years so he had to borrow heavily to finish his last year to get it. There are millions just like him.

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2021 4:46 PM

I guess I'm wondering: Where do we go from here? Let's say the student loans are forgiven in 2021. By January 2022 they are making the same loans with the same terms. By 2026, we're right back to graduates under that burden, and who knows what the job market will be like then.

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2021 4:48 PM

[Quote] Millennials are about to get screwed yet again if Biden doesn't cancel student-loan debt Just wait for The Absolutely Perfect Boomers and Gen X to offer their little snotty 2 cents on this subject

[Quote] Millennials are about to get screwed yet again if Biden doesn't cancel student-loan debt Just like Boomers and GenX got bailed out for their stupid ass home loans that they couldn't pay off. UGH I FUCKING HATE THEM. I'm so glad I'm going to see them get OLD.

[Quote] Millennials are about to get screwed yet again if Biden doesn't cancel student-loan debt When Baby Boomer and GenX get old, I will vote for whatever makes them suffer the most. I want to seee them suffer. I DESPISE both of them.

[Quote] Millennials are about to get screwed yet again if Biden doesn't cancel student-loan debt [quote] [R6], when did mortgages get forgiven? I missed that one.

[Quote] You can declare bankruptcy.

[Quote] Millennials are about to get screwed yet again if Biden doesn't cancel student-loan debt I live so that I can see the Perfect Baby Boomers and Gen X get old and suffer.

[Quote] Millennials are about to get screwed yet again if Biden doesn't cancel student-loan debt R16 Oh You'll see, you fucking bitch. You will get yours and you will see.

^^^^^ All of r10 replies. Hilarious! This is why you'll ALWAYS rent, hon. LAPAY!

by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2021 5:25 PM

R35 just you wait, you little GenX cunt. We will see your smug generation die.

by Anonymousreply 26June 16, 2021 5:29 PM

I don’t get it. Why sign for loans and agree to pay them back if you want to be exempt? Contracts are binding…if Biden is able to do something, fine, but it takes some real balls to try and completely shirk a responsibility you weren’t forced to take on.

by Anonymousreply 27June 16, 2021 5:38 PM

I've been pretty fortunate for the past 10 years, but in my early 20s, it was a constant struggle to keep ahead of my loans. You have a 6 month grace period between graduation and when they start calling for your money. How many people have a good job six months out of school? I didn't. And you're only allowed to write off $2500 in INTEREST on your taxes. There were years I paid over 10 grand IN INTEREST. How is this not predatory. At my current voluntary rate, if my business holds up, I'll have my loans paid off in 2 years, when I'm 35. I COULD pay them off today, but I'm very nervous to take such a massive chunk out of my savings with the world the way it is. I know I'm a lot luckier than a lot of people.

In one way, Gen Z is luckier because the scam is fully exposed and kids are told more about trade schools, gap years, and other alternatives. When I was growing up, every other word out of a teacher's mouth was COLLEGE.

Fuck these people.

As 1 in 5 American adults wonder how to pay off their combined $1.6 trillion in student debt, Sallie Mae executives and sales team members wrestled with a different question: Between meetings, how should they spend their time on their five-day paid trip to the luxury Fairmont resort on Wailea beach in Maui?

Sallie Mae brought more than 100 of its employees to Hawaii in August to celebrate a record year — $5 billion in student loans to 374,000 borrowers. The company said it didn’t pay for employees’ families to attend, but some did tag along.

“We said, ‘Hey, look, Maui is a pretty nice spot.’ And so if you wanted to stay a few days or want to bring family, that's up to you,” Ray Quinlan, CEO of Sallie Mae, told NBC News on the grounds of the Fairmont Hotel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 16, 2021 5:48 PM

[Quote] just you wait, you little GenX cunt. We will see your smug generation die.

LOL! Honey with all your hate you'll be died of a heart attack or cancer in 10 years.

How's living at your parents house working for you?

by Anonymousreply 29June 16, 2021 5:49 PM

R9 - but that's not what the OP's article is saying.

The article specifically states Biden wanted to forgive $10K in student loans, and that is also what he said when he was running for president.

Again, given that, I don't understand (once again, based on the OP's article) why anyone would think Biden would make it so their loans would be forgiven when he never made such a promise in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 30June 16, 2021 5:53 PM

It's the horrible interest rates that are the #1 factor - second is the large amounts of debt.

You have to correct both. $10K won't go far with the interest rates - that just kicks the can down the road a bit.

It won't make a dent when the interest rates are so ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 31June 16, 2021 5:57 PM

R29 You talk a lot of shit, cunt. Except when it comes to Baby Boomers who owned your ass. I guess its easy for you to punch down at younger people cuz you're scared of Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 32June 16, 2021 6:04 PM

I imagine most people's student debt is infinitely larger than 10k, so cancelling that amount out isn't going to do them much good. IMO they should lower the interest rates drastically and people would see much more benefit. People took out those loans of their own free will. They were not coerced into it. They have to accept some of the responsibility for their predicament and not expect the government to fix a problem they got themselves into.

We can't keep giving away the farm. At some point all the freebies and payments have to stop or we're going to spend ourselves into oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 33June 16, 2021 6:09 PM

Why do young people hate Gen X? We are the under achiever slacker people. I thought we were forgotten (I liked that) but I see we are despised.

by Anonymousreply 34June 16, 2021 6:10 PM

PS I am still paying off student loans at 48 years old.

by Anonymousreply 35June 16, 2021 6:11 PM

r34, it's just one loser loon aka r10. He's hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2021 6:12 PM

The OP has replied to himself six times in this thread. R3, R6, R10, R13, R15 and R19 are the same person (Jeez - am I a fekkin' genius or what?) with the original thread posted under one sockpuppet account and the six replies on another, WW-ing himself each time he replies and with threats when others disagree. He trolls like this every couple of weeks and always gets clocked. It gets old so fast and so instantly. Then he tries to troll and trash anyone here who calls him on it. Everyone here for more than a month knows who he is and what he does and doesn't give a shit because he doesn't understand that less is more.

Pro-tip: sockpuppets are only useful if you change up the voice and the topics so you're not instantly recognizable from one to another. Also: take your meds. The rage will kill you if the GenXers don't get you first.

Threats here are almost as stupid as you are, OP and R3 and R6 and R10 and all your other fake personas. Muriel knows you're back for now - using multiple one thread accounts. She hates it when you do that.

by Anonymousreply 37June 16, 2021 6:12 PM

Thanks R36

LOL

by Anonymousreply 38June 16, 2021 6:12 PM

R34 Oh yeah you Gen Xers are just so sweet and innocent. You fuckers love stirring the pot.

by Anonymousreply 39June 16, 2021 6:14 PM

It's been know for the last 30 years at least that many BA degrees are virtually useless unless they are supplemented with further education and/or training. I'm an Xer and was warned of this in the 90s when I was a student.

I don't blame the students, I blame greedy universities that pump out 1000s and 1000s of bachelor degrees a year.

It was at least in the mid 90s when I began hearing about the value of getting into the skilled trades and seeking out more practical diplomas/degrees. What ever happened to encouraging youth to take up a trade? Not everyone is going to get their dream job with a simple BA.

by Anonymousreply 40June 16, 2021 6:18 PM

Time to take your meds OP.

by Anonymousreply 41June 16, 2021 6:19 PM

What has happened in the last 4 years with interest rates? Did they go up unexpectedly? Did the cunt Devo or whatever her name is fuck things up?

by Anonymousreply 42June 16, 2021 6:21 PM

R37 R38 It says a lot that you're on here fighting with Millennials instead of Boomers, bitch. I guess you're scared of Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 43June 16, 2021 6:21 PM

r10, cunt off, bitch

by Anonymousreply 44June 16, 2021 6:22 PM

R44, fuck you. I'm glad I'm gonna see you get old and die.

by Anonymousreply 45June 16, 2021 6:23 PM

[quote] Just wait for The Absolutely Perfect Boomers and Gen X to offer their little snotty 2 cents on this subject

You mean, the people who also had student loan debt, but — got jobs, actually did their work instead of texting on their phones and complaining all day, and then GASP paid off them off? Without assuming they were entitled to their debts being forgiven … just because?

by Anonymousreply 46June 16, 2021 6:24 PM

R46 you mean the people who could pay for college with a summer job?

by Anonymousreply 47June 16, 2021 6:25 PM

Hey, Joe, what about people like me who got their Bachelor's in 2005 and are still paying off the loans. Millennials don't deserve special attention because they've grown-up being sold "you're special."

by Anonymousreply 48June 16, 2021 6:26 PM

R45, not necessarily. Millennials are so fat and unhealthy that they are expected to be the first generation with a lower life expectancy. You well could die before the Xer you're fighting with.

by Anonymousreply 49June 16, 2021 6:26 PM

Stupid fuck Gen X think they're some expert on Millennials when they know as much as Boomers knew about them.

by Anonymousreply 50June 16, 2021 6:28 PM

Go vote for Trump a third time, you assholes.

by Anonymousreply 51June 16, 2021 6:29 PM

Take your meds, Matt.

by Anonymousreply 52June 16, 2021 6:29 PM

R48 you're talking about people who are 3 years younger than you

by Anonymousreply 53June 16, 2021 6:30 PM

Everyone knows millennials are fat, R50. They were fat as kids and now they're fat as adults and have all the health issues that go along with being overweight for decades.

by Anonymousreply 54June 16, 2021 6:31 PM

If you're straight but truly desperate and have that 'California Surfer dude look', your problems are solved babydoll.

by Anonymousreply 55June 16, 2021 6:33 PM

R54 Everyone knows you're a bunch of Karen Trump voting turds. You complain and hate Baby Boomers so much except you kiss Baby Boomer ass. That's why you stupid fucks spend so much time fighting with Millennials and Gen Z. Cuz you're scared of Baby Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 56June 16, 2021 6:33 PM

R37 Exactly. I am one person instead of you stupid Gen X fucks who have to gang up on someone to feel tough

by Anonymousreply 57June 16, 2021 6:35 PM

There's some really whacked out people on this thread. Millennials are always so hostile and full of strife. Honestly, half of them would be dead gays if the Boomers and Gen-Xers hadn't fought for their rights to "be queer" or whatever letter they've selected from the alphabet soup. But yeah, they want to see the Gen-Xers grow old and die. Bitch, please.

If you went to college, knowingly taking out tens and tens of thousands of dollars in debt that you can't pay back, you don't get a trophy. You get a bill. Pay it.

by Anonymousreply 58June 16, 2021 6:39 PM

R58 Please. Millennials don't owe anything to you nasty fucks who've been hostile to us for 20 years. Don't try to take credit for stuff that previous generations accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 59June 16, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote]. I'm glad I'm gonna see you get old and die.

I'm already old, and it ain't that bad, it's something you might want to consider too. but it's not guaranteed that my demise will precede yours. . . .

by Anonymousreply 60June 16, 2021 6:42 PM

GenX thinks they're so perfect and above reproach.

by Anonymousreply 61June 16, 2021 6:44 PM

Who really gets screwed are all the people who didn’t have money to go to college, that now have to pay higher taxes for other college loans to be forgiven..

by Anonymousreply 62June 16, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote] Gen-Xers hadn't fought

You're almost 60 years old bitch. Why are you fighting Millennials instead of Boomers? Is it because you're a bunch of cowardly bullies?

by Anonymousreply 63June 16, 2021 6:47 PM

I'm fucked. The interest compounding for my loans come out to $22 a DAY.

Maybe I can find a nice vicar to married in Europe forget an Asian bride and live in a bamboo Hut in Indonesia. Can't find me there!

by Anonymousreply 64June 16, 2021 6:48 PM

R62 or...we just tax the fucking obscenely wealthy

by Anonymousreply 65June 16, 2021 6:49 PM

*Vicar to marry/ or get an Asian bride

by Anonymousreply 66June 16, 2021 6:50 PM

R58 is also R3, R6, R10, R13, R15, R19 and a host of others.

And posting from one more of his sockpuppet accounts.

Give it up bitch. You're old, slow, and can't move without being seen.

by Anonymousreply 67June 16, 2021 6:50 PM

I really enjoy the unbridled angry generated by this topic. Its makes my day seem so tranquil.

by Anonymousreply 68June 16, 2021 6:51 PM

R67 Yeah that's me and so what? Are you mad because I'm calling you Xers out on your shit?

by Anonymousreply 69June 16, 2021 6:52 PM

It's not anger. It's hilarity.

He thinks he's a shit-stirrer until he gets thrown in the pot and gets himself covered with shit when he tries. People here are so on to him - he's like a broken record. Very broken.

He may even be breaking a record for the greatest number of transparent attempts to pretend he's something else.

by Anonymousreply 70June 16, 2021 6:55 PM

Why is gen x a part of this conversation again?

by Anonymousreply 71June 16, 2021 6:55 PM

R70 How dare someone respond to the righteous vaunted Gen Xers.

by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2021 6:58 PM

Just got to NYU Med.

by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2021 6:58 PM

Exactly who's who again? I know I'm a rich Boomer but I get the Xs and Menials confused..

by Anonymousreply 74June 16, 2021 6:59 PM

R73 How about you Gen Xers mind your damn business. Always trying to start and talk shit and then act so offended when someone actually responds

by Anonymousreply 75June 16, 2021 7:00 PM

How much do you owe, OP/numerous Rs? What's your degree(s) in?

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2021 7:08 PM

I'm a Boomer and I am in favor of canceling student loan debt.

Those of you talking shit about Boomers need to realize that the Boomers that destroyed everything are the oldest in the generation. I'm 60 years old, at the end of that generation and this end of the Boomers has far different sensibilities than those Boomers who are in their 70's.

How about instead of whining about every fucking thing you take your great numbers and start fucking things up? You are the computer generation, you are the social media generation. How about you come up with some way to fuck with the ancient Boomers who have locked all of us out of having a basic social safety net. Take a page from your peers over at reddit, started wall street bets that made a worthless stock go through the roof tanking the investments of hedge funders.

And no I'm not saying invest with WSB I'm saying use your youth and energy and come up with a brilliant way to fuck with the politicians and CEO's who are standing in the way of you having the kind of life you want. We are waiting on you, my generation shook up society and opened minds then took everybody to the cleaners. Now let's see what you guys can do, other than whine.

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2021 7:12 PM

GenX is going to be worse than Baby Boomers. Look at this thread for proof.

by Anonymousreply 78June 16, 2021 7:15 PM

Is it safe to actually talk about this now?

by Anonymousreply 79June 16, 2021 7:32 PM

R18 that’s just not true. Until 1976 student loans could be discharged in bankruptcy. A 1973 government investigation found that fewer than 1% of students loans were actually being discharged in bankruptcy. The idea that if you let people get rid of their student loans in bankruptcy, you’ll effectively be making college free was, according to the government itself, a discredited conservative talking point. And the 1976 bill simply forced you to wait five years after graduating until you could get rid of your loans in bankruptcy. It wasn’t until 1990-2005 that the government decided to basically place an outright ban on discharging student loan debt in bankruptcy.

The person who made reference to Ronald Reagan is right. This is mostly about controlling the population. Governor Reagan was furious at the anti war protesters at California universities, and basically said, “if they want to protest our government’s policy in Vietnam, we’ll start charging them to go to school.” Read the Powell Memo written by future SCOTUS Justice Powell who was offering Wall Street lobbyists advice on what to do about all of those damn hippie anti war, civil rights pushing, environmentalists who were pissing off big business in the 60s and 70s. If you saddle college kids with a shitload of debt, they’ll have to go work for some big New York law firm defending Wall Street interests instead of being able to do antiestablishment pro bono work for the likes of Ralph Nader.

by Anonymousreply 80June 16, 2021 7:38 PM

You can wish death and harm upon Gen X all you want, we don’t care. Or maybe you haven’t figured out that has been Gen X’s point all along - we don’t give a shit. Go whine to someone who does.

by Anonymousreply 81June 16, 2021 7:38 PM

The issue is multi-faceted, and I don't blame anyone, boomer or otherwise, for opposing the issue. For me personally, I have a lot of student debt, but I am in a position to meet my monthly obligations. At this point it's unlikely that I will ever pay it off in full, but I just think of it as a tax or fee to pursuing my career. However, the one big issue with the nascent student loan crisis is that it does have the potential to really derail our economy years down the road. Older generations wont be affected by these issues, but anyone 50 and under will feel the affects of consumers having less disposable income. So addressing it sooner than later is wise.

With that said, like someone mentioned above, there are multiple recipients of blame. Students are certainly to blame for taking on debt they likely didn't understand the potential negative ramifications of (I'm definitely in that camp). But schools, the government, the banking industry and also the educational industry as a whole is at fault.

by Anonymousreply 82June 16, 2021 7:41 PM

If Biden cancels any student debt, the main people who will get screwed are the ones who saved, worked hard and paid off their student debt. No one should ever go into any debt expecting they won't have to pay it off.

by Anonymousreply 83June 16, 2021 7:41 PM

R81 Someone who doesn't care doesn't bother responding at all. You all make up a majority of the responses on this thread. Obviously you care. Go worry about your nasty retard children instead. Millennials don't owe you shit.

by Anonymousreply 84June 16, 2021 7:42 PM

R83, can you expand on that, as I really don't see that correlation? I understand it isn't fair in the context of some paid and others didn't. But in terms of affecting those people's financial well-being, I don't really see a strong connection.

by Anonymousreply 85June 16, 2021 7:45 PM

Let's all attack one another for our outstanding student loans while the richest 1% is paying NOTHING in taxes. That's exactly what they want us to focus on.

by Anonymousreply 86June 16, 2021 7:51 PM

What about all those trash people who took out student loans and spent it on partying and designer clothing? There are always these people on the morning judge shows who say things like “I was going to pay him my share of the rent when I got my student loan check” and “I took him to Disney with the money from my student loan check”. Like it’s welfare or something.

Some people don’t give a shit about owing money. They don’t care about their credit rating because they know they can just get government freebies.

Maybe that’s why there are so many ass-hurt people on this thread. Go and get on the dole and live life on Easy Street like the lowlifes do. You can get all kinds of “benefits”.

by Anonymousreply 87June 16, 2021 7:56 PM

And you Gen X fuckers have the nerve to complain about Baby Boomers ripping the Pension Carpet out from beneath you.

by Anonymousreply 88June 16, 2021 7:58 PM

"It isn't fair to everyone who DIED of cancer that we have treatments for it now!"

by Anonymousreply 89June 16, 2021 8:02 PM

R87 translated = "We can't help a huge portion of the population because some people don't deserve it!"

by Anonymousreply 90June 16, 2021 8:09 PM

I literally begged my daughter to go to Clayton State College. Begged. But noooo! She just HAD to go to Georgia State. Expensive is a massive understatement. Food, parking, books, on and on. It was a fucking shakedown is what it was. Well, now she is screwed. She graduated with honors, I was very proud of her, but still pissed off inside. She took Psychology as her major. The problem with that-which I begged her not to take- is that unless you have a four year program you can not get work in that field. She can't afford four years, she really couldn't afford the two she took. She didn't listen to me, she never has. She is doing phone work, angry at the world and drowning in student loan debt. I feel sorry for her but I am unable to understand her choices. She was warned, had it explained multiple times beforehand. I am just exasperated and exhausted by her decisions. I do not understand. Why would someone do that to themselves?

by Anonymousreply 91June 16, 2021 8:14 PM

[quote]Governor Reagan was furious at the anti war protesters at California universities, and basically said, “if they want to protest our government’s policy in Vietnam, we’ll start charging them to go to school.” Read the Powell Memo written by future SCOTUS Justice Powell who was offering Wall Street lobbyists advice on what to do about all of those damn hippie anti war, civil rights pushing, environmentalists who were pissing off big business in the 60s and 70s. If you saddle college kids with a shitload of debt, they’ll have to go work for some big New York law firm defending Wall Street interests instead of being able to do antiestablishment pro bono work for the likes of Ralph Nader.

This kind of thing needs to be discussed more out in the main stream. It's clear there are too many Americans that don't understand how we got to where we are now.

by Anonymousreply 92June 16, 2021 8:19 PM

What about offering free or low cost education for those who choose fields where there is actual work available or a shortage/projected need of workers? I'm thinking nursing, physio/occupational therapy, Xray/CATscan/MRI/ultrasound techs, teaching, elder and child care fields, various skilled trades, and so on? Make it an incentive for more people to get into those types of fields instead of degrees in the humanities.

I think the humanities and social sciences are great areas and invaluable for personal development and expanding one's horizons, but they're not practical for most people.

by Anonymousreply 93June 16, 2021 8:21 PM

Put r63 on "ignore" and half the thread disappears.

by Anonymousreply 94June 16, 2021 8:25 PM

R93- Because every necessity of life has become a financial shakedown of the middle and low class people. I grew up in an upper middle class home. Now I am living in abject poverty because of a disability. I see people working two jobs just to be able to eat. Forgot clothes. Can't afford them. I am ashamed to go out in public. Yet still the price of everything keeps climbing.

by Anonymousreply 95June 16, 2021 8:27 PM

[quote] "It isn't fair to everyone who DIED of cancer that we have treatments for it now!"

What a stupid fucking analogy.

by Anonymousreply 96June 16, 2021 8:37 PM

[quote] I'm a rich Boomer

I'm glad you assraped GenX. They deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 97June 16, 2021 8:41 PM

I remember talking to a dad when I was a recent grad in the early nineties. He was bitching about his daughter racking up all this debt for her useless degree. I had gotten my EE and did the one semester in, one semester working as a co-op student. I also worked when I was at school. My Gen-Z daughter works her ass off in retail and food service and after a year of that, changed her major to education from art so she would have a skill.

The reason GenY is coming after GenX is because they now have to deal with not being the cool kids anymore. And the cool kids are making better decisions while ridiculing those poor Mils.

I get why they are pissed. I don't care, but I get it.

by Anonymousreply 98June 16, 2021 8:45 PM

R98 The fact that you even have a daughter proves what an idiot you are.

by Anonymousreply 99June 16, 2021 8:47 PM

R98 because teachers are so well paid in this fucking country

by Anonymousreply 100June 16, 2021 8:47 PM

Millennials and boomers have much more in common than either group likes to think. Both are spoiled and selfish. I have high hopes for Gen Z though.

by Anonymousreply 101June 16, 2021 8:49 PM

At least Gen X and Z have the sense to love Mary Poppins!!

by Anonymousreply 102June 16, 2021 8:50 PM

R101 And what is your great contribution to life? Almost 60 years old and blaming everything on Boomers still.

by Anonymousreply 103June 16, 2021 8:51 PM

Huh, R103? I'm not close to 60. I'm in my 40s. WTF are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 104June 16, 2021 8:51 PM

Joe has already said he's not going to excuse student loan debt. He never claimed he would, either. It's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 105June 16, 2021 8:53 PM

Oh you motherfucker Gen Xers. You just fucking wait. You think you have the upper hand right now but just you wait. Just you fucking wait.

by Anonymousreply 106June 16, 2021 8:55 PM

Millennials I'd like to screw:

Ben (someone I know IRL)

Julian Morris

Mark Goodman (Adam, Y&R)

by Anonymousreply 107June 16, 2021 8:58 PM

For what, R106? lol, you're insane.

Xers are tough, we're not a spoiled bunch of wusses like you are, which is why we got along with the greatests generation and now Gen Z. Millennials don't scare us.

by Anonymousreply 108June 16, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote] Xers are tough,

Is that why you got assraped by Baby Boomers for the last 40 years?

by Anonymousreply 109June 16, 2021 9:01 PM

Seems to me that you're the one who's been assraped, R109. You seem unhinged. Very unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 110June 16, 2021 9:03 PM

R110 Dodging the question. I thought you all were about sticking it to the Baby Boomers. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 111June 16, 2021 9:04 PM

I've never been assraped by a boomer, R111. Does that answer your question? Holy fuck, seek help.

by Anonymousreply 112June 16, 2021 9:06 PM

R112 Why are you even on this thread bitch? This topic isn't even about you but you cunts make it all about you, always trying to start shit with Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 113June 16, 2021 9:08 PM

Awww, R113, will you at least give me a participation trophy before I go? Oh, wait....that's your generation that needs those.

by Anonymousreply 114June 16, 2021 9:09 PM

Aren't you cunts always complaining about Baby Boomers pulling up the pensions before you even had a chance?

by Anonymousreply 115June 16, 2021 9:11 PM

Ha, I have a great workplace pension, R115, so no.

by Anonymousreply 116June 16, 2021 9:12 PM

I had a student loan back in 1980. I was told that it could not be written off in a bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 117June 16, 2021 9:13 PM

It sounds like you're privileged. You should read thee Old People with no retirement thread. It's filled with your generation complaining about Baby Boomers and pensions.

by Anonymousreply 118June 16, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote] The article specifically states Biden wanted to forgive $10K in student loans, and that is also what he said when he was running for president.

If Joe wouldn't even honor his promise of $2000 checks why would anybody expect he would keep the $10,000 promise?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 16, 2021 9:15 PM

R114 What about you fucking assholes being the number one Trump voting demographic?

by Anonymousreply 120June 16, 2021 9:20 PM

Hunter Biden got everything handed to him on a silver platter, and still fucked it up. He gets to be a crackhead who fucks whores left and right and doesn't have to worry about a damn thing financially because his family pays for everything.

So for Joe Biden to lecture anyone on responsibility is a joke. He was also the moron who made it so loans couldn't be discharged during bankruptcy. For his banker friends.

Either he fixes it or he should get primaried next election cycle. Maybe next time try running a real progressive for a change.

by Anonymousreply 121June 16, 2021 9:21 PM

I think you need a nap, R120.

by Anonymousreply 122June 16, 2021 9:22 PM

R122 No comment about you fucking braindead idiots being the #1 demographic for Trump?

by Anonymousreply 123June 16, 2021 9:23 PM

If America wanted a Progressive president, then Bernie or Liz wouldn't have bombed. But they did, Blanche. THEY DID!

by Anonymousreply 124June 16, 2021 9:23 PM

[quote]It's the horrible interest rates that are the #1 factor - second is the large amounts of debt.

Are the rates higher than the 18% rate people paid on home mortgages in 1981?

At that rate, 82% of payments made over 30 years went to interest, not principal.

by Anonymousreply 125June 16, 2021 9:24 PM

The solution is not to wipe the slate clean because that’d endanger the confidence of every other future student loan and make it much more difficult to qualify.

It’s getting the banks to take a haircut a bit and transfer the rest of the balance into a bulletproof, federally protected instrument- sort of like a reverse prearrangement funeral trust that cannot be undone.

by Anonymousreply 126June 16, 2021 9:26 PM

[quote]If America wanted a Progressive president, then Bernie or Liz wouldn't have bombed.

Bernie wasn't the one who had to have two people drop out on Super Tuesday so he could win a state.

But hey, Biden got his first win in three election attempts, as Michael Moore put it.

by Anonymousreply 127June 16, 2021 9:28 PM

Um, what, R123?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 16, 2021 9:29 PM

Millennials are all on PrEP, so it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 129June 16, 2021 9:30 PM

Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130June 16, 2021 9:31 PM

Good.

Fuck the little commie antifa bitches that want to whine about their expensive garbage degrees. Target the real criminals: the universities who bloat their worthless departments with shit degrees because the feds give everyone free and unlimited credit.

by Anonymousreply 131June 16, 2021 9:31 PM

R122 I think your generation needs some critical inner analysis. You're great at criticizing everyone else but you think you're so fucking perfect that you can't even handle even a little criticism without melting down.

by Anonymousreply 132June 16, 2021 9:34 PM

R117 well then you were either lied to, didn’t wait the mandatory 5 years after your first loan payment was due, went to a for profit school, or had some special situation, because the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978 allowed people to discharge their student loan debt on bankruptcy if they waited five years after payments were first scheduled to begin. You’re free to look it up. It was 11 USC 523 (a)(8)(A) -Public Law 95-598 which moved the provision from the 1976 Higher Education Act to the Bankruptcy Code.

by Anonymousreply 133June 16, 2021 9:35 PM

Melting down, R132? It's a millennial who's on here having a little temper tantrum. That's why I suggested they take a nap.

by Anonymousreply 134June 16, 2021 9:36 PM

Why are you even on a thread about millennials, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 135June 16, 2021 9:38 PM

Why are you attacking Xers, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 136June 16, 2021 9:40 PM

A bunch of 40 50 60 year olds ganging up on someone in their 20s. What does that say about you, you cunt?

by Anonymousreply 137June 16, 2021 9:41 PM

R99- Fuck off, useless pustule on humanity.

by Anonymousreply 138June 16, 2021 9:43 PM

Go speak to pustule humanity manager, Cunt Karen with your children.

by Anonymousreply 139June 16, 2021 9:45 PM

Hey, R137, why fire the first shot if you can't handle it? Your post is exactly what other generations have with yours. You're literally telling Xers that you want to watch them die/can't wait for them to die, talk shit about their children and their careers choice, and now that people have fired back at you, you're going to play the young, innocent, victim? Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 140June 16, 2021 9:47 PM

R140 I'm handling it quite well by myself unlike you and your gang of ten other GenX fuckwads. You fucking cunts are always the first ones to give your unwanted commentary about Millennials no matter the subject.

by Anonymousreply 141June 16, 2021 9:49 PM

R140 go get your AARP card and get a fucking colonoscopy while you're at it!

by Anonymousreply 142June 16, 2021 9:50 PM

If you're handling it so well, then why are you whining about being ganged up on, R141? You're like one of those annoying douches in a bar with a huge mouth but then runs away crying when someone finally comes for you.

by Anonymousreply 143June 16, 2021 9:53 PM

Bitch I am not crying or running away. I am here, grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 144June 16, 2021 9:54 PM

I think they should just be zero interest loans.

by Anonymousreply 145June 16, 2021 9:55 PM

Yes, and playing the victim, R144.

by Anonymousreply 146June 16, 2021 9:56 PM

For those of you who for some reason Generation X had anything to do with this situation ...

Many boomers defaulted on their student loans. In the 1960s-1980s, collection efforts were few and poor. A lot of them got away with it.

When the loans got bigger and the surveillance state more efficient, you got the aggressive collection tactics we see today, where people's lives are ruined by student loan debt.

Generation X went to college at a time when college costs were increasing, but student aid remained stagnant for years, until President Clinton decided to do something about it. Until that help arrived, the problem was that many people simply could not afford to go to college because the money couldn't be obtained.

Most Generation Xers are pretty open to social programs and assistance, much more so than the generation before them. If it turns out they're not, Millennials shouldn't have any problem outvoting them, since GenX is the smallest age cohort. My concern is that Ms and Zs won't take the socialism thing far enough. Everything has to be worked on, including local governance, education, taxation, welfare, social and economic development, access to medical care. If Millennials are so freaking socialist, why aren't they denouncing greed and waste of human potential all day long, every day?

Would you all please stop posting to the NYT, which requires both registration/login and a subscription to see most articles?

The opinion piece conveniently forgets that many GenX entered college and the workforce during the 80s, during a recession. They were continually brushed aside by Boomers for jobs as economy improved. Then there was another recession in the early 1990s. The opinion that X grew up in stable affluence is utterly false.

My opinion is that Generation X is small enough to be safely ignored, as it always has been.

by Anonymousreply 147June 16, 2021 9:57 PM

[quote] [R46] you mean the people who could pay for college with a summer job?

I’m gen x and couldn’t do that. It took me several years. But I didn’t have millennial entitlement so I retired my loans early rather than paying the minimum so I could go on yet another vacay I’m SO OWED.

by Anonymousreply 148June 16, 2021 9:58 PM

Sorry r147, but there are as many Gen X then there are people in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 149June 16, 2021 10:00 PM

R146 I am no victim. You nasty fuck Gen Xers have enjoyed the middle child position criticizing everyone else for a long time, and now the boomers are retiring and the bulls eye is MOVING ONTO YOU. You thought you were going to do enjoy a touchdown dance and now you're Oh so shocked that anybody dares to criticize you!

Consider this a sneak preview of what's to come!

by Anonymousreply 150June 16, 2021 10:00 PM

as there are ^^^

by Anonymousreply 151June 16, 2021 10:00 PM

[quote] My opinion is that Generation X is small enough to be safely ignored,

That's a bunch of lies. GenX wants to claim Obama at 1961. Well guess what? That pushes their numbers up to around the same as Baby Boomers. The idea that GenX is too small to counter Baby Boomers is a bunch of lies! They're always trying to hide behind Baby Boomers and skirt responsibility!

by Anonymousreply 152June 16, 2021 10:02 PM

R150 is the poster boy for millennials. Thanks boomers for inflicting that shit on us.

Only consolation is, they’re so fragile and helpless (can’t even pay their bills, FFS; invented the term “adulting”) that they’re harmless noise and always will be.

Suffer, Millennials! SUFFER! 🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 153June 16, 2021 10:03 PM

R140- You seriously need to take classes in reading comprehension. No where did I even remotely say anything of the kind, idiot. This is why your generation sucks. You are a bunch of angry thin skinned assholes. You probably have spent your entire life in front of a screen, gaming. Now it is crunch time and you are left behind because you waste so much time sitting and staring at some electronic device. You are lazy and pissed off. Boo fucking hoo.

by Anonymousreply 154June 16, 2021 10:03 PM

R153 Go pop some Viagra , I doubt you can even get it hard.

by Anonymousreply 155June 16, 2021 10:03 PM

R154 You call Millennials thin skinned because I am one person with one opinion and so I represent an entire generation. You 50 year old idiots can't even bother to do some soul searching and concede a single point.

by Anonymousreply 156June 16, 2021 10:06 PM

Oh, that was just hurtful. 🙄Sounds like something a fifth grader would say. Go away, little man.

by Anonymousreply 157June 16, 2021 10:08 PM

Little man sounds like your 50 year old dick.

by Anonymousreply 158June 16, 2021 10:09 PM

I find it hilarious, R153 that R150 thinks that Xers would be scared of millennials. Like you say, they can't even pay their bills or make a phone call without having someone hold their hand due to all their anxieties about "adulting." lmfao.

by Anonymousreply 159June 16, 2021 10:09 PM

Blocked it. The same trump diaper licker ruining every thread.

by Anonymousreply 160June 16, 2021 10:09 PM

R159 Yeah you Gen X motherfuckers know everything about Millennials, just like Boomers knew everything about you

by Anonymousreply 161June 16, 2021 10:10 PM

Two years community college + two years state college = undergrad degree you can afford to pay off.

Otherwise, you have only yourself to blame if you insisted on going to your "dream" college and studying your "dream" major and then couldn't get your "dream" job to pay off your nightmare student loans.

The generations who were told they could be and do anything they wanted -- and believed it -- were sadly ill-advised by their parents, who spoiled them rotten. Very few people actually get to live their dreams. I hope they've learned their lesson.

BTW, I finally finished paying off my student loans when I turned 50.

by Anonymousreply 162June 16, 2021 10:11 PM

R160 Poor baby, I thought you Gen Xers were such thick skinned latch key children and shit that you didn't need to block anyone.

by Anonymousreply 163June 16, 2021 10:11 PM

I never finished high school, never attended college, and I find I'm doing quite well in my life.

by Anonymousreply 164June 16, 2021 10:12 PM

For the amount of "liberalism" that academics promote, they are very greedy and capitalistic. They have been raising tuition rates way higher than inflation rates for decades due to how easy it is to get Parent Plus loans and private loans. They've preyed on low income families by taking advantage of expectations that everyone needs a college education. To compete with other schools, they waste money on commodities like luxury fitness centers and dorms which are funded through more tuition. And pay-for-degree colleges like DeVry and Phoenix are even bigger scams. I have $30k loans from a state undergrad because I was stupid and my family immigrated from Asia when I was only 7 and did not have a good understanding of loans and higher education. Now I'm getting my Masters to become a physician assistant. I can empathize with people who got scammed into college loans and got bullshit degrees or dropped out after 1-2yrs but you need to fix higher education first.

by Anonymousreply 165June 16, 2021 10:14 PM

I paid mine off as well. I had no help because my mother was a widow and couldn't help me. I knew this and worked my way through school then worked to pay the student loan. These young people who think we had everything handed to us baffle me. Nothing was ever handed to me. Ever. We did not expect them to pay for our education because many couldn't afford to , but also it was never expected from us. Why would we expect our parents to pay for our education?

by Anonymousreply 166June 16, 2021 10:18 PM

R159 That sounds like a quote ripped straight from Fox News of which you Gen X morons would know all about. You 50 year old motherfuckers are the Great White Hope of Republicans with your 1980s nostalgia and Ted Cruz and Paul Ryan and Steve Scalise.

Yeah you're so fucking tough, GenX

by Anonymousreply 167June 16, 2021 10:20 PM

Yeah you're real fucking tough, GenX.

You must be so proud!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168June 16, 2021 10:23 PM

How dare anybody question GenX's rage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169June 16, 2021 10:27 PM

Gen X isn’t the one raging here, dear heart. We are laughing at you.

by Anonymousreply 170June 16, 2021 10:31 PM

R170- Me? You call saying that I paid my student loan raging?

by Anonymousreply 171June 16, 2021 10:35 PM

R170 I'm glad that you're laughing because that's something your generation needs more of. You 40 50 60 year old cunts think you're entitled to act like complete motherfuckers. Like everybody else owes you shit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 16, 2021 10:36 PM

LMAO, R172, isn't this thread about millennials not having to pay off debt that they incurred? Wow, you truly are clueless.

by Anonymousreply 173June 16, 2021 10:41 PM

Thanks for the best wishes, r172 but this is a thread about your impotent rage over your inability to cope with things other generations handled easily and responsibly. Sorry! 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 174June 16, 2021 10:42 PM

“Millennials are screwed” = millennials are being held to account

by Anonymousreply 175June 16, 2021 10:43 PM

You think you're so fucking tough, huh, GenX?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176June 16, 2021 10:43 PM

Do have these Karens saved in a "GenX hate u! 😡/rage folder", OP?

by Anonymousreply 177June 16, 2021 10:49 PM

R177 Yeah Bitch I remember you idiots raging against Baby Boomers at the same point. But how dare anybody criticize the almighty GenX!

by Anonymousreply 178June 16, 2021 10:52 PM

I don't remember ever speaking out against Boomers, to be honest. I thought the generation wars were M vs. B. I guessed I missed X being involved. Oops!

by Anonymousreply 179June 16, 2021 10:57 PM

R179 Oh ok, yeah you and Baby Boomers were real best friends. I love how you idiots try to rewrite history.

by Anonymousreply 180June 16, 2021 10:58 PM

I was speaking for myself, not my cohort. Trying to do so would be asinine, R180.

by Anonymousreply 181June 16, 2021 11:01 PM

R181 I love how you morons think that now that Baby Boomers are out of the picture, you're going to just streamroll right over Millennials the way Boomers steamrolled right over you. Well you've got another coming straight your way, you cunts.

by Anonymousreply 182June 16, 2021 11:02 PM

I find Boomers and Millennials pretty similar, actually. Which makes sense since Boomers are generally the parents of Millennials. Part of the Millennial chip on the shoulder comes from expecting to have the same advantages and opportunities their parents had. But times have changed, so that's not what happened.

Re: student loans--lot of blame to go around. I think the sheer size of student-loan debt creates issues for the economy--it's one of the reasons we're seeing a big drop in the birth rate, which we then compensate for with increased immigration, but that brings another set of issues. It's also one of the major reasons for the shrinking of the middle class and increased income inequality.

I do put a lot of the blame on the colleges, which have steadily hiked tuition and fees in step with increased amounts offered by student loans. College has become insanely expensive. It really was possible to work your way through a state university in the 80s. It really no longer is. At the same time, more and more jobs require bachelor's, even if the actual job doesn't require more knowledge than you'd get with a high-school degree.

So, the issue with student debt forgiveness is that it does *nothing* to curb the spiraling costs of higher education. If, however, students were no longer able to take out hundreds of thousands in loans, you'd start to see a drop. Yes, rich kids would have an advantage, but they already do. It's way easier to get in as a full-tuition student than one that needs a ton of aid. Ironically, with all these loans and financial aid packages, the elite private colleges are even more the province of rich kids than they were 30 years ago. (As an added bonus, if your kid does qualify for financial aid, the college will decide how much a family can pay and then any further aid/scholarships will be subtracted from the school's "donation"--if the school thinks you can pay $50,000 a year, a $20,000 scholarship makes no difference, you'll still pay $50,000.)

There's also a moral hazard issue here--a lot of older people, who didn't have access to large loans, didn't go to college or the college of their choice as a result. A lot of them, it's true, don't get why the government should forgive the loan payments which were voluntarily entered.

So any student debt forgiveness package, IMO, has to coupled with regulations that curb tuition increases and predatory lending. Higher Ed's about to run into a major demographic implosion anyway, so some reforms are needed anyway. This is a much bigger issue than Millennial debt--plenty of those maligned Boomers and Xers have taken out loans to finance their Millennial and Z kids education.

by Anonymousreply 183June 17, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote] Part of the Millennial chip on the shoulder comes from expecting to have the same advantages and opportunities their parents had.

Gen X's Silent Generation parents wrote the book on Reagonomic economic advantages meant to cater to them and their children. If anyone's upset it's Gen X because they feel entitled to the same level of privilege as the Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 184June 17, 2021 12:45 AM

We do this same bullshit ass thread over and over again and I have keep reminding you old senile bitches for the umpteenth time. r33, the average student loan debt is not "infinitely" more than 10K, please stop pulling dumb thoughts out of your ass. The average student loan debt is 30k for a bachelors degree in the United States.

I have almost 20k in loans. If they pass the 10k relief my payments would be half of what they are now. I was planning to purchase a new car if I can have this portion of my income freed up, putting money back into the economy. But if not, fuck it. I will continue those automated payments to the government so they can buy weapons for some shithole country in the middle east.

If that's what you old cunts want, then fine. Don't look to us to pass any emergency legislation for you when there is an eldercare crisis in the US in 20 years, and we throw you in a nursing home manned by malfunctioning robots from China. We never reproduced people to care for you because all our good years were spent paying student loans.

by Anonymousreply 185June 17, 2021 1:14 AM

R185? I'm not worried about "eldercare," hon. I enlisted in the Army (probably) before you were even born, and thus am covered by my VA health care benefits right up until the time I drop dead -- including at a VA nursing home.

With all this whining about tuition costs, it's interesting that none of these young folks took the opportunity to get free college tuition by enlisting in the military.

by Anonymousreply 186June 17, 2021 1:25 AM

r186 HA! I work with numerous veterans in my line of work and all they do is complain about how poor the care at the VA has gotten, they are just another number. Good luck bitch, you're going to need it.

by Anonymousreply 187June 17, 2021 1:30 AM

Wow, R185. Bitter much? Maybe you need to change your meds.

by Anonymousreply 188June 17, 2021 1:32 AM

Not bitter r188 just stating the facts of the matter since people like to come on here with bullshit and act like this is matter of charity for millennials. Its more than just that. There are long lasting consequences involved, for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 189June 17, 2021 1:46 AM

This whole thread is just sad. Datalounge at its worst.

by Anonymousreply 190June 17, 2021 1:52 AM

Agreed R190. This thread was some cringeworthy bullshit from all sides, from supposed adults.

by Anonymousreply 191June 17, 2021 2:50 AM

Tomorrow, the Supreme Court will have on its docket a case that will do a lot to open up student loan debts for eligibility to be discharged in bankruptcy court. Since congress seemingly has no plans to move on this issue, I really do believe that this is how it is going to be solved for those who really can't pay it back in a reasonable time or ever.

Unlike with a lot of the other shitty cases that SCOTUS has taken this term, this case has a legitimate need to be heard by the justices. It involves a lower court split over the issue of the Brennan test and how strict district courts interpret this determines if you can discharge the debt. By the court reconciling this split and, hopefully, imposing the lesser standard, more people will be able to get out of their debt.

Granted, it's not forgiveness and it's not pain free, but at least it will be gone and it will remove a hell of a lot more debt than what Biden and Schumer have been proposing. It's the best vehicle people should be hitching themselves to if they want a way out of their debt in the near future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192June 17, 2021 3:05 AM

Oh well. I don’t feel sorry for them. They could have went to community college the first two years.

by Anonymousreply 193June 17, 2021 3:08 AM

^^ That's a parody, right? I hope...

by Anonymousreply 194June 17, 2021 8:17 AM

Biden said he wants to cancel $10,000 in student-loan debt only for students who attended public nonprofit universities.

I don't think that's going to go over well in the short term. A lot of people (including a lot who can't afford them) go to private universities thinking solely about the name brand without any real awareness that they university is private, or that being private is significant in any way.

Here in the D.C. area, I know a lot of relatively young people with over $100,000 in student loan debt, most of whom went to Georgetown, George Washington University or American Universities. Some of them are rallying for student loan debt cancelation thinking there's a chance Biden will wave his magic pen and wipe out their entire debts. But not only was he adamant to a student during a town hall that he'd cap it at $10,000, he also said he'd only forgive public university debt.

I went to a public state university, finishing college in 2001 and grad school in 2008. I worked full time or close most of that time and had under $20k in student loans in total. I can't imagine having such an insane burden as $100k+ in loan debt, BUT I also made the choices I made because I couldn't ever consider shackling myself to the debt that comes with choosing to go to a university with such unreasonable costs.

I fully support making public higher education free across the board, but I do feel some kind of way about the idea of wiping out all debts for students who chose to go to AU, GWU, Georgetown etc. and couldn't afford them. I have a tiny bit of sympathy because our culture puts a lot of pressure on people to go to "THE BEST," but at the same time, "THE BEST" in higher ed really isn't necessarily the best academically; it's the most expensive.

A $500 Gucci or Dolce & Gabbana tee shirt doesn't serve its wearer any better than a $12 Target tee shirt; the only difference is in the logo, and the same is true for a lot of private universities. So wiping out debts of their students to me would feel like wiping out the debt of someone who spent $100k on designer clothes and then regretted it, and who gets to keep the clothes.

by Anonymousreply 195June 17, 2021 11:20 AM

From the article:

[quote] Biden has yet to fulfill his campaign promise to cancel $10,000 in student debt per person. If he doesn't, it would be just another way millennials get economically screwed.

How are they getting 'enonomically screwed'? People who choose to go to exorbitantly expensive universities chose to do so knowing what their own personal financial resources were, they took out loans knowing how much they needed and how much they'd owe, and they did so with no suggestion by anyone that any president would ever give them a get-out-of-debt-free card.

Private universities are overpriced to the point of obscenity. I agree with that.

Every single state has affordable in-state tution at high-quality research universities. No one is forced to pay $80,000 a year for a college degree.

I have no problem with $10k debt forgiveness. But it would be a GIFT, not an entitlement.

This is the sort of sentiment—that Biden would be 'screwing Millennials' by not wiping out the debt the knowingly took on—that really makes me resent the generation deeply. I don't usually generalize so much as to group a whole generation together but this kind of entitlement is really fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 196June 17, 2021 11:51 AM

I put myself through college and payed back my loans years ago. When do I get reimbursed?

by Anonymousreply 197June 17, 2021 12:04 PM

When you figure out the difference between payed and paid.

Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 198June 17, 2021 12:06 PM

R126 here again- government would link these “bullet proof” government sponsored loan instruments performance to their college’s current placement of graduates to be reimbursed higher on the other side of it and reduce the haircut. Like a funeral trust, there’s no individual’s bankruptcy or ability to crack or negate the terms or demand immediate payment or have it taken by creditors, hospitals or lawyers.

It could be offset by a private companion retirement program similar to a 401k-essentially paying down the loan and encouraging companion savings and investment IN TANDEM following a specific formula, not just “paying a bank down”. It’d be insured in case of death like the government insures banks through FDIC today.

All the solutions are there already, it involves a bit of rewiring but that use the same premise and proven legal instruments banks already use to protect themselves and keep solvent.

There would be a “cushion” that’d allow a loan holder to suspend payments for emergencies but no “free” anything- there can’t be if we want to put our kids through college.

by Anonymousreply 199June 17, 2021 12:21 PM

R199 There's a major mismatch between reputations of universities and the outcomes of their students.

The Ivy League and similarly elite universities like Georgetown are in an eschelon of their own, based on the general brand values, just like luxury goods brands.

Louis Vuitton isn't actually better quality than any other bag maker but it'll always be able to charge more because people with means will always be willing to spend money to wear the logo.

Because wealthy people will always pay more to purchase luxury-brand degrees from Harvard, Yale, Georgetown, even USC, those universities will keep their prices inflated regardless of how their credentials convert to job placements and incomes. This screwy system will always throw off any attempt to normalize a sensible, objective means of assigning value to universities.

US News remains the go-to for college rankings. US News rankings are fundamentally based on exclusivity, not outcomes. The higher any institution's rejection rates, the higher US News ranks them. Endowment is also a factor, as are admissions test scores, which we now know raise directly in proportion to students' wealth. The more money a high school student's family has, the higher their test scores tend to be because of schooling tied to test prep and because of the ability to pay for expensive additional test prep. Everyone accepts these as normal parts of a university's value regardless of outcome.

The federal College Scorecard website is publicly available and it shows that state universities often outperform private universities that are more highly ranked and esteemed in terms of getting students more and better-paying jobs. For example, George Mason University in northern Virginia has job placement and pay rates and equivalent to Georgetown, UVA et al. and yet it is ranked far below them in US News rankings (and in general reputation) because it admits a lot more students and fewer students complete degrees (likely because of prohibitive personal finances--more poorer students means fewer graduates; all wealthy students means almost all students will graduate because they have no reason not to).

Washington Monthly magazine developed a better ranking system to compete with US News's, which focuses on return on investment, and its comparison shows that public George Mason University (#14) has less "bang for the buck" than private Georgetown (#1) and Washington and Lee (#2), but a lot more than Mary Washington (21), UVA (23—considered a "public ivy"), William and Mary (28) and George Washington University (39!).

George Mason's (GMU) in-state tuition is $12,500, so a bachelor's degree costs $50,000.

George Washington's (GWU) tuition (no in-state is available) is $57,000, so a bachelor's degree costs $228,000.

GWU costs more than four times as much and has lower job placement rates at lower-paying jobs, yet US News will continue to rank it more highly because it has a higher rejection rate, higher graduation rate, is in a city, costs more and (importantly) has more famous graduates because they were wealthier to begin with.

Completion/graduation rates historically have been accepted as one of the most important gauges of a college's or university's importance and value, but research has shown that most students are perfectly capable of keeping up acacemically and graduating UNLESS they have financial hardships. Poor students either have to drop out because they can't afford college, or else they do poorly because they have to divide time between working and studies and drop out as a result. Wealthy students don't have any obligations other than schoolwork and partying and so they almost always graduate. The idea that people drop out because they aren't smart enough to do well in college is almost always a fallacy. Admission to college and success in college in most cases comes down to wealth versus relative poverty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200June 17, 2021 12:53 PM

The federal government created the College Scorecard to show the real value of institutions because US News and longstanding reputations of elite universities are simply false in most cases. But the site is unknown to most people, and the federal government can't invest in advertising and marketing its site the way US News advertises in marketing its college rankings, which at this point is the system known to all collegegoing people and trusted by them. Elite schools are effectively the same as Prada, Gucci, Versace, raking in cash from people who can't afford to spend it simply so that they can associate themselves with a luxury brand.

by Anonymousreply 201June 17, 2021 12:54 PM

This isn’t the answer many people will want to hear.

R200, the government could create several metrics that would shift college behavior, placement only being one. Of course there are different tiers and different student needs. The other option would be to hinge these metrics onto any federal funding. It’s not the wealthy that need this.

The focus would be similar to Steve Jobs approach towards removing every obstacle to a customer buying Apple products when he built the Apple stores.

Remove all obstacles towards paying off the loan with one’s lifetime responsibly and sensibly.

by Anonymousreply 202June 17, 2021 3:27 PM

They only have themselves to blame! Sure, they were 18 and likely had never lived on their own or run a household budget and were constantly told that college is a necessity, but they signed a contract! And the big lenders need that money for money Hawaiian vacations for their corporate retreats!

-- this thread

Enjoy society crumbling as the birth rate gets smaller and smaller and there's not enough bodies to replace the workforce.

by Anonymousreply 203June 17, 2021 4:49 PM

Maybe they shouldn’t have signed that contract then?

How is helping them shirk their responsibilities going to crumble the birth rate?

by Anonymousreply 204June 17, 2021 4:54 PM

Won't somebody think of the corporations????

by Anonymousreply 205June 17, 2021 4:57 PM

I wish that people who are against debt forgiveness would understand that you’re paying part of the cost of this debt one way or another. The debt is a drag on the economy. A 2018 study estimated that forgiving all student debt would add an average $84-$108 billion per year to GDP growth. The Federal Reserve did a study that found that student debt was hampering new small business creation and was therefore a significant drag on new job creation. Something like 20% of people on SNAP and 25% of people on Medicaid have college degrees. You’re paying for those economic headwinds and social safety net expenses right now. It’s like the people who are opposed to paying Walmart employees better wages and benefits. You can either pay a few more cents for every bit of cheap Chinese crap you buy at Walmart, or you can pay for food stamps and Medicaid coverage for Walmart employees. But either way, you’re paying.

by Anonymousreply 206June 17, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote]Enjoy society crumbling as the birth rate gets smaller and smaller and there's not enough bodies to replace the workforce.

DLers need to decide if declining birth rates are the end of society as we know it or the start of a great green rebirth. I'm getting whiplash.

by Anonymousreply 207June 17, 2021 8:04 PM

If declining birthrates in the US meant there were fewer people to feed and house and whatever; and the lower population meant there was more opportunity and higher wages and standards, then it would be great. But what we will get instead is the lowered native birthrate increase being made up for with increased mostly 3rd world immigration. Everything will stay crappy, except the menial jobs will be done by Mexicans, and the native-born will be unemployed and in debt. Basically the way things are now.

by Anonymousreply 208June 18, 2021 12:09 AM

We're all going to be thrown into a cataclysm because people won't slow down their breeding. The exponential population growth will absolutely destroy us and people are dumb animals who won't stop popping out babies. Economics is not a reasonsable defense against the harsh reality of maximum population density. Famines, infectious diseases, wars over resources and territories, contaminated food and water and weather disasters are certain.

by Anonymousreply 209June 18, 2021 12:17 AM

R209 People have slowed down their breeding. Peak birth rate was back in 2004. What's driving population growth at this point is increased longevity. Africa and parts of the Middle East still have high birth rates, the rest of the world not so much, with some countries such as Japan and Russia facing overall population declines. There also seems to be a decline in male fertility.

I think there are far too many of us for the planet, but we need to change our economic models to manage population declines in a better way.

by Anonymousreply 210June 18, 2021 1:44 AM

Its amazing that so many are against student loan forgiveness yet corporations and their CEO's can pay next to nothing in taxes. Its no wonder America is becoming a shithole, with priorities as mixed up as this.

by Anonymousreply 211June 18, 2021 2:19 AM

But R211 they signed a contract at 18! Without any real life understanding of finances. And being told from the age of 5 how important college is! Think of the banks!

by Anonymousreply 212June 18, 2021 2:20 AM

This is why each loan needs to be examined and banks holding the loan take a haircut/loss as well- with a guarantee of the government backing the remainder of the loan. A true solution would require a “pound of flesh” to get a binding, long term commitment from the loan holder and bank interested, maybe $3000 up front to lock and load the agreement so that there’s no scamsters, fraudulent applications or deadbeat applicants.

Forgiving 50K for each loan across the board wouldn’t work to keep confidence in underwriting new loans- the banks would simply just raise future loan’s surcharges and fees to cover the differences. These loans could have a fixed time- say 30 years- and be attached in tandem to a first time home loan later in a way that assures the student loan is prioritized- by offering a lower interest rate and combining the two with a legal instrument like a trust- in a clearinghouse of sorts so it’s one payment for both the home and student loan. If you sold your home in the future and made a whopping profit, you could also pay off a hefty portion of the loan off- tax free! Any solution needs to be wired into reality AND offer institutions an upside to committing 30 years to getting paid off

rather than the catastrophe of trillions in defaulted loans gathering unpayable interest.

by Anonymousreply 213June 18, 2021 5:05 AM

R213 again, nowhere do I say “forgiveness” but it IS forgiveness- of a NEGOTIATED portion of the loan by the bank, recognizing that it’s better to get paid something rather than nothing.

Asking your neighbors and taxpayers to pay out of their pockets for complete forgiveness, or to zero out previous loans or a “hard reset””- sets a dangerous precedent and warps every financial and binding legal contract- essentially how civilization negotiates order among businesses and protects it’s citizens.

It would open a door to corporations and institutions swinging it the other way to reneg or back out of THEIR obligations using the very same legal argument.

by Anonymousreply 214June 18, 2021 5:16 AM

I’d support substantial relief. But the rhetoric around the issue is wacky - people act like they’re entitled to this and get enraged at the thought that they might not get out of paying tens of thousands of dollars Of debt that they voluntarily took on.

by Anonymousreply 215June 18, 2021 5:31 AM

r213 the Biden administration has made it clear that the max amount will not exceed 10k if this even happens, so I really don't see the need to hypothesize about amounts like 50k. Also your idea could work if the housing market in the United States wasn't so volatile like it has been over the last 15 years. Millennials would actually need to be making enough money to obtain a first time home loan, in the first place. If things stay the way are now, most millennials will be 50 by the time they get or even want their first home loan. COVID is the second major financial crisis for that generation in a short period.

And the U.S. government has already done a "hard reset" as you call it, in 2008 with bank bailouts. Also, public servants already get their remaining loans forgiven after 120 payments (10 years of payments)

I think people are generally thinking about this in extremes and need to keep things in perspective, like actually discussing realistic numbers. Most people who would benefit from this are not getting all their debt paid off, only a portion.

by Anonymousreply 216June 18, 2021 5:42 AM

R216 yes, I like discussing them as well, as part of estate planning I had prearranged my mother’s funeral arrangements and paid into a trust created by the state for several years, and was impressed that it was bulletproof from creditors, that I cannot ask for the money back, and even if the funeral home went belly up, the state would oversee the transfer of services to another funeral home.

I came from a broken home and was never good at saving or spending and spent many decades living check to check because I never learned to. I ruined my credit at a young age over about $1000 in debt, but it would up being a mixed blessing because when I finally got around to cleaning it up I was able to pay it right off, be debt free and have excellent credit now. I made a lot of poor decisions over not having enough money. Establishing financial stability helped me make more enduring decisions. If you have bad credit, you are enslaved to companies making much more money off of you. We live in a country of “freedom of choice” yet people don’t want to be responsible AND companies are more than willing to capitalize on your poor decisions. Raising the minimum wage won’t help if people aren’t taught how to save.

by Anonymousreply 217June 18, 2021 6:07 AM

Maybe if the damn Boomers would retire and stop working til 80, their kids could find good-paying jobs- and paying off the loans would be a breeze.

by Anonymousreply 218June 18, 2021 6:13 AM

[quote]If you have bad credit, you are enslaved to companies making much more money off of you. We live in a country of “freedom of choice” yet people don’t want to be responsible AND companies are more than willing to capitalize on your poor decisions.

r217 that is true. But also keep in mind that all people with student loan debt haven't made a poor decision or are irresponsible. I would've never finished college if I had to come up with the money just from the job I worked. I have 20k in students loans today, my credit is great, and I own a home. Luckily I didn't have to ruin my credit to learn how credit works. 10K relief is not preventing anyone from learning how to manage their money. It will help the American economy if people like myself can use that money to help keep businesses open and put food on other people's table.

by Anonymousreply 219June 18, 2021 7:57 AM

R10, projecting much?

by Anonymousreply 220June 18, 2021 8:19 AM

Each loan holder is very different and you’d need an arsenal of different shaped tools. A $20,000 lump sum will end in tears for those that are ALREADY taken advantage of by unscrupulous banks- as it creates corporate motivation to maximize he one off payments on a large scale, or invites fraudulent submissions. It’s better to have everyone sit at a table, tailor and renegotiate the particular terms of each and every outstanding loan. I lived with a Jewish grandmother as a roommate, and it’s my experience you could haggle 40K off the loan if you open your kimono, and you had 20K to pay them AND set a government guaranteed loan the very same day.

Why not have an easy to file annual or biannual salary evaluation/ submission that’d give renters a tax break- if they don’t own a home yet- and the ability to set a small amount aside every week to put towards a cushion of payments if needed in the future. Someone need to copy the Apple Credit Card/ Wallet app. The idea that yes, I need to pay off my obligations is an important one.

by Anonymousreply 221June 18, 2021 10:52 AM

[quote] and protects it’s citizens.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 222June 18, 2021 11:58 AM

by Anonymousreply 223June 22, 2021 3:31 AM

Let their well-off Boomer parents pay it off. Then the Under-40s can pay them back- with no interest.

by Anonymousreply 224June 22, 2021 3:34 AM

[quote]Why not have an easy to file annual or biannual salary evaluation/ submission

r221 that sort of already exists in the form of income driven repayment plans.

Im not sure what you mean by a "lump sum" of 20k. The measure being discussed is for existing federal student loans. Obama finalized the direct federal loans program over 10 years ago, private banks are not involved anymore. There is no money changing hands with the borrowers. These are government loans. They would just be reducing the portion of debt the borrowers are responsible for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225June 22, 2021 4:28 AM

R225, I meant the government throwing $20,000 at an outstanding loan without getting the banks to negotiate the full amount even lower. The solution needs banks to recognize that it’s more than likely many of these loans won’t be paid in full or to original plan, that the loan holder intends to pay off a certain amount, and that any long term repayment plan needs to mesh seamlessly with both retirement and home loan plans later.

Asking the government to forgive or pay off the loans completely sets up a future where there would be onerous terms for future generations- for any new loans. Quite honestly our government is going to be too busy over the next 30 years- with multiple environmental disasters caused by global warming and large swaths of displaced Americans.

by Anonymousreply 226June 22, 2021 6:44 AM

But r226 banks do not negotiate terms for student loans anymore. Since 2010, student loans originate with the federal government. All of my outstanding student loans with the banks were consolidated and transferred to the feds in 2010.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227June 22, 2021 7:44 AM

Aren't there both government-backed and held student loans and private loans? I'm pretty sure private education loans are still a thing.

by Anonymousreply 228June 22, 2021 8:08 AM

R227, yes but mortgages and retirement programs are not. To mesh seamlessly for an individual’s or couple’s evolving needs over their lifetimes, it would involve creating a legal vehicle and bulletproof instruments that could protect public AND private involvement to varying degrees, as well as navigating scams, enduring a bankruptcy, insolvency, death, etc.

A funeral trust is a great example of government oversight and protection over an individual’s interest over decades- that also involves an outside party/private entity (the funeral home)

by Anonymousreply 229June 22, 2021 8:49 AM

by Anonymousreply 230June 22, 2021 6:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!