Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Giallo films

They have always been hit-or-miss for me (the only one I can recall truly liking off the top of my head is Lucio Fulci's "Don't Torture a Duckling," which is truly disturbing), but a lot of the time I find them to be very gaudy, full of bad furniture, European tits, and slashing or two, but not much else.

That being said, lately I've lately gotten into some of Sergio Martino's films, and find them wonderfully stylish, moody, and gothic. I am watching "The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh" at the moment, and it is full of inventive camerawork and perfectly-orchestrated scenes of suspense; it's also quite arty, and has a haunting funereal score throughout. It also doesn't hurt that all of the men in it are gorgeous. George Hilton and Ivan Rassimov were both sex gods—stunningly beautiful men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 6, 2021 11:55 AM

Carroll Baker did a number of giallo films after her career in Hollywood went sour after Harlow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2021 12:55 AM

The Argento and Bava ones are the best. Most of the others are just rip offs. Much like American slashers, for every good one, there are a dozen that will bore you to tears. A lot of the plotting is so nonsensical that you have to be either drunk or high to make sense of any of it.

Deep Red, Tenebrae, and Opera are Argento's best gialli, but I was surprised to be very charmed by Sleepless upon rewatching it a few years ago. Trauma has some interesting moments as well. Phenomena hardly counts as a giallo, because it's so many things rolled into one.

Blood and Black Lace is great even if the police procedural stuff is boring.

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2021 1:26 AM

I find the dubbing very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2021 1:46 AM

The dubbing lends some of them a dreamlike quality that can be cool if you're in the right mindset. I hate when they pick a sleepy, unenthused sounding voice actor to dub an actor who was obviously trying their best to give their character a little flair. Theresa Russell dubbing Daria Nicolodi in Tenebrae is a great example. She sounds like she recorded her ADR while super drunk.

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2021 5:21 PM

The Girl Who Knew Too Much is atmospheric and fairly tame. And has John Saxon. He said he took the role because the lead actress whom he knew from Hollywood because they both spoke Italian asked him to.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2021 5:17 AM

Young John Saxon turns me on, which I find strange because he's not really my type. And yet...

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2021 9:24 AM

Ok, so tonight I decided to finally watch Sei donne per l'assassino (aka Blood and Black Lace).

I really enjoyed it. It was very stylish, and I felt like I could see the origins of films like this (golden age detective novels) and where it would go to in the future (violent slasher films). It was very interesting because there were scenes that made me certain that they had inspired Dario Argento. For example, all the colours flashing during the scene where Nicole goes to look for Franco.

I'd put it off a bit, as I was more interested in the 70s stuff, and the 60s aesthetic doesn't please me as much, but was pleasantly surprised how much I did like it here. The copy I viewed had been beautifully restored too.

This is my first Bava film and I think he definitely has the eye for that kind of thing, based on this film. I will definitely be checking out more of his stuff. If anyone has any recommendations, please give me a hoy!

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2021 11:50 AM

Bava's Blood and Black Lace isn't just a good giallo film - it's a good film, period. Unfortunately the same can't be said about his The Girl Who Knew Too Much, usually considered to be the first giallo film (and also starring John Saxon). That one was a major chore to sit through.

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote]Bava's Blood and Black Lace isn't just a good giallo film - it's a good film, period.

Agreed! I was hooked right from the opening with all the cast standing around like mannequins. I don't know why the US release, from what I read, insisted they change that.

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2021 10:12 PM

I love the ones which they filmed two versions of the movies: one for theatrical release and the other one xxx hardcore. There were loads of them in those days. Will look up the names when I get home.

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2021 10:26 PM

Thanks R10, would like to see your list!

There did seem to be a lot of this two (or three) versions done of these movies. Phenomena is one that immediately springs to mind.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2021 4:11 AM

Nudies, that's what they are- NUDIES!

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2021 5:11 AM

R6 you aren't the only one, though Saxon very much was my type. Dark-haired, dark-eyed Italian-American guys make me melt. He got better-looking with age. He was one hot daddy in "Black Christmas." His deep voice alone was a turn-on.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2021 5:16 AM

I want to say Suspiria is a great giallo but there is debate whether it is a true giallo. I would say yes in style, but no in content. It has giallo elements, especially the first kill but is more of a supernatural horror thriller. In any case the cinematography, direction and vividly over saturated colors make this one of the most stylish horror films ever.

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2021 5:28 AM

Tonight, I've gone for another influential giallo I've not seen before, also Mario Bava, and that is A Bay of Blood.

I've wanted to see this for awhile, because I know that it was very influential on the US slasher boom that began in the late 70s. So it was very interesting to watch from that angle. Also the copy I watched again seemed restored, so it was nice to look at. I don't think it's as strong a film as Blood and Black Lace, more B movie-ish, but still enjoyable to see.

Funnily enough, the part that I think most influences American horror was the part I found least interesting. I mean, horny teens being stupid are always annoying characters, so I was just waiting for them to die off. They behaved so weirdly too, especially that German girl, what was up with her? Dancing to the music in her own head, haha.

I found the rest of the story more interesting to watch, though it would've dragged I'm sure without the deaths of those four put in. I thought it was interesting how pretty much every character was a killer. The woman who played the mystic looked familiar to me, but I can't put my finger on it.

My favourite part was the final scene, that was smashing! A great little twist, that also seemed very much like the director joking with the audience. I've not seen it, but I believe one of his earlier films finishes with the camera pulling out to show that it's all "just a movie" with people working around the actor... this ending in A Bay of Blood felt like a similar sort of joke to me. I loved it.

It's been fun having a bit of a giallo weekend, and finally getting around to some classics I've meant to have watched (and especially the fact I have enjoyed them).

Next up I will attempt Non si sevizia un paperino (Don't Torture a Duckling), but the only copy I've found so far is all in Italian with no subtitles. I do speak Italian fairly well, but when I tried with this movie I found I was only getting about 60-65% of it, and I really don't want to miss stuff.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2021 12:46 PM

Anyone seen those newer Gialli that were being made by that couple? One was called Amer, I believe. I wondered if they were worth watching or not.

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2021 1:29 AM

Amer was an exercise in style. Not great, not awful.

I recommend The Editor, a Canadian 'spoof' of giallo films.

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2021 1:51 AM

R14, I think any reasonable definition of giallo has to include the possible use of the supernatural. One of my favorites, in fact, is Mario Bava’s Hatchet for the Honeymoon, in which the anti-hero—a designer of wedding dresses—is followed by the ghost of his murdered wife. One of the twists here, though, is that everyone can see the woman’s ghost except him. Crazy to begin with, he becomes increasingly disoriented when people engage in conversations with her even though he knows she can’t possibly be there.

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2021 2:02 AM

R17, a spoof giallo movie sounds like a lot of fun! I should check it out.

Although really, The Editor is way too short a title. It should be more called "The Editor with Wooden Fingers Stained in Red" or something.

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2021 2:21 AM

The Editor was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2021 4:52 PM

R18, that one sounds very interesting, I'll have to check it out!

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2021 11:09 PM

Don't Torture a Duckling contains no torture and no ducklings. Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2021 4:41 AM

I'll need to watch it first R22. Trying to find a good copy in English. After my luck with The Beyond on Tubi I thought I'd try there, but couldn't find it.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2021 12:20 PM

I've realised I was born too late.

I love the thin, hairy men with tight trousers that populate these movies. Love them!

by Anonymousreply 24August 6, 2021 11:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!