Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The heir to the Dutch throne waived her $1.9 million annual allowance because it would make her "uncomfortable"

Princess Amalia of the Netherlands, the heir to the Dutch throne, waived her right to her $1.9 million annual allowance.

Amalia, the Princess of Orange, is King Willem-Alexander's eldest daughter. She graduated from high school on June 10, and the royal family marked the occasion by hanging her backpack alongside the Dutch national flag at Huis ten Bosch Palace.

The princess plans to take a gap year from fall 2021 to spring 2022 before going to college, she said.

Amalia also turns 18 in December, which makes her eligible for her a $1.9 million (€1.6 million) allowance, The Guardian reported.

According to the Dutch publication NOS, about $358,000 of that sum dollars serves as income, while $1.54 million is designated for "personnel and material expenses."

But on Friday, the princess informed the Dutch prime minister, Mark Rutte, in a letter that she would be waiving her right to her inheritance while she is at university.

In the letter, which was published by NOS, the princess wrote of the money: "I find that uncomfortable as long as I do not do anything for it in return, and while other students have a much tougher time of it, particularly in this period of coronavirus."

Amalia plans to return the income portion of her allowance and hopes not to use the money set aside for other expenses unless she incurs high costs in her official royal duties.

The princess' decision not to use her allowance comes after critics took issue with the idea of her receiving the money when she turns 18. Tatler reported that Amalia would have been the first Dutch heir to be given a salary.

Historically, only the king, queen, and queen mother have received salaries in the Netherlands.

The Dutch royal family is the costliest monarchy in all of Europe, according to a 2012 study from Ghent University.

Willem-Alexander and his wife, Queen Máxima, received backlash in October for traveling to Greece for a vacation while the Netherlands was locked down because of the coronavirus.

Willem-Alexander became king after his mother abdicated the throne in 2013. Amalia will inherit the throne from him.

The princess was involved in a lawsuit in 2020 after a man sent her death and rape threats on Instagram, USA Today reported.

The man was sentenced to jail time and a mandatory psychiatric evaluation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2021 4:29 PM

Well, fuck me.

Spoken like a true, entitled twat.

It actually makes me more annoyed with her that she refused the allowance, than if she just took it and kept quiet about it.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2021 9:22 PM

The Royal Family's approval rating dropped from 75% to 50% when they fucked off to Greece on vacation as the Netherlands went into lockdown last summer. And were shamed back home. They've been working on recovery ever since with an aggressively try-hard PR campaign. This girl will never be Queen in a future Republic.

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2021 9:25 PM

[quote] because it would make her "uncomfortable"

Something that only a really rich person would say.

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2021 9:32 PM

I'm guessing she's going to be a guest on Harry and Meghan's podcast.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2021 9:37 PM

Good move on her part. I'm sure her parents had something to do with it, but nonetheless, she did the right thing with a look to the future. The family is very wealthy

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2021 9:40 PM

Girl, take the money and save it!

Who knows what will become of your family and fortune in the future. It could all disappear, and then what?

Don't be DUMB.

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2021 9:42 PM

Once again, "Royalty" is very useless.

Fuck these white supremacist assholes.

Them all.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2021 9:43 PM

I hope she takes Vitamin-D supplements.

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2021 9:46 PM

Can I have hers?

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2021 9:49 PM

Come sit by ME, Amalia!

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2021 9:50 PM

"White supremacist" doesn't really work in Europe, r8.

As usual, the Americans misunderstand everything. When she turns 18, she's entitled to an allowance from the state, but as she won't be taking up royal duties immediately she believes it's not right to take that money until she does. She's entirely right to state this publicly, because it concerns public funds.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2021 9:51 PM

She needs to wave away the second helpings.

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2021 9:54 PM

I'm sorry, what do vitamin supplements have to do with white supremacy?

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2021 9:55 PM

She clearly has a huge appetite

for fairness.

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2021 9:56 PM

Meghan should set her up with Archie.

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2021 9:59 PM

She still gets the money, she's just putting off when she takes it.

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2021 10:23 PM

exactly r16. I think it's disgusting to brag about not accepting public money while at college when she knows damn well she'll be suckling that money teat for the next 70 years. Very obnoxious. The thought of someone leaving 358k on the table as some kind of moral flex makes me sick. I would kill for a fraction of her yearly allowance. I hope the Dutch come to their senses and end this ridiculous system. Little Miss Humility will have to get a fucking job like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2021 3:35 PM

You can't do much with $1.9 million anyway.

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2021 3:38 PM

r11 sounds like you don't understand why people are mad at her. It's pretty clear that she's turning down the money because she's unable to preform any royal duties and it's pretty clear that the money and royal duties will resume after college. None of THE Americans are confused about this. It sounds like you are defending a rich stranger who doesn't care about you and will never help you. Huh. BTW white supremacy does exist in Europe, it is the bedrock principle of the AFD and the FN. In case you haven't learned about these acronyms they are viable political parties in the two largest European countries. How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2021 3:54 PM

R17’s “ The thought of someone leaving 358k on the table as some kind of moral flex makes me sick.”

Nailed it.

Just do it and not tell the world.

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2021 4:00 PM

Of course there's white supremacy in Europe. It's Europe, it's where white people in America came from and it's why shit is so bad in America.

Where the fuck do you think white supremacy came from? Of course it's rampant in Europe. They've imported it to every corner of the fucking earth.

America is definitely not perfect, but at least it's way more diverse then a lot of these European countries, with their monarchies and calling themselves "Royalty" and living as though they're in a real life Disney fairy tale bullshit story.

The whole concept of "Royalty" is insanity in 2021 and moving forward.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2021 4:17 PM

She's fat and Whiter than Casper The Friendly Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2021 4:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!