Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

AG Merrick Garland Wants Death Penalty for Boston Bomber

[QUOTE]The DOJ has asked the Supreme Court to reinstate the death penalty for Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, despite President Biden’s previous claims that he was against capital punishment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 7, 2022 3:52 AM

This may be hard to believe after the last four years, but the Justice department is SUPPOSED to be independent of the executive.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2021 8:02 PM

I agree. Put a pigskin noose on him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2021 8:05 PM

Make it hurt.

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2021 8:06 PM

It will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2021 8:12 PM

The federal death penalty was in place at the time of the Boston Marathon bombing, R3. Why didn’t it deter Dzhokhar and his brother from carrying out the attack?

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2021 8:12 PM

Sleepy time cocktail isn’t a deterrent, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2021 8:34 PM

Sure why not.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2021 8:35 PM

I’m surprised Muslims didn’t try to build mosques where the bombings took place. Muslims are a deranged people.

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2021 8:42 PM

It won’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2021 8:44 PM

Why do I suspect that the same people who are baying for Tsarnaev‘s blood were also cheering when that fucking traitor Jonathan Pollard was released from prison instead of put up against the wall and shot?

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2021 8:51 PM

[quote]Why do I suspect that the same people who are baying for Tsarnaev‘s blood were also cheering when that fucking traitor Jonathan Pollard was released from prison instead of put up against the wall and shot?

You can’t bay for both, Mohammad?

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2021 9:19 PM

Are these two being held at ADX Florence, with all the other terrorists?

I have no problem with the death penalty in these instances. I vote for execution, but not via lethal injection. Make it the gas chamber. It IS the most expensive form of execution, but it is also the most horrific for the person being executed. These two deserve nothing less.

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2021 9:53 PM

I’m always so conflicted when cute people do terrible things.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2021 9:55 PM

Just picture the dingleberries, R13

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2021 5:04 AM

If you read the details of the trial, it's pretty obviously that he didn't get a fair or impartial jury. The foreperson of the jury posted a bunch of prejudicial shit on social media. Read Masha Gessen's New Yorker article on the topic if you want to know more. I'm not excusing what he did but I think he should be ineligible for the death penalty. People here will screech about how evil he was but it's really important that everyone get a fair trial. Also strapping someone to a table and pumping them full of poison is sick and anyone who supports it is utter dogshit in my view.

by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2021 9:48 AM

Nope. The death penalty will do nothing at this point.

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2021 10:41 AM

R15 Is correct. A lot of shenanigans went on during his trial.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2021 10:51 AM

r12 Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed by police in 2013.

Dzhokhar is currently housed at ADX Florence.

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2021 10:58 AM

I agree. Tax dollars are being wasted keeping that piece of shit alive to be housed in prison.

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2021 10:59 AM

R10 The Jew spying for a FRIENDLY country spent more time in jail that those WASPs spying for ENEMY Russia. Your post perfectly illustrates the reason for Pollard's actions.

Tsarnaev should be shown the same empathy that he had for the 3 people he murdered and 260 he injured. That is, none!

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2021 11:15 AM

Jesus. This site is becoming unreadable.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2021 11:20 AM

The death penalty does absolutely nothing to deter future crimes. I find it hypocritical that these supposed God fearing politicians practice their faith only when it serves their purpose, and completely ignore the Commandment "thou shalt not kill". They must not be very God fearing after all.

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2021 11:32 AM

R22 The commandment is: Thou shalt not MURDER.

The death penalty was never meant as a deterrent. It was meant to remove those who forfeited their place in society due to their heinous actions.

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2021 11:37 AM

[QUOTE] I’m always so conflicted when cute people do terrible things.

He wasn’t cute, R13. Guy had like one good picture. Keep your pantries on.

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2021 11:39 AM

[quote] Keep your pantries on.

But that's where I keep my snacks.

by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2021 11:42 AM

Wearable pantries are the new snack purse.

by Anonymousreply 26June 16, 2021 11:45 AM

I’m against the death penalty, no exceptions, because of the innocents (disproportionately black men) sent to death row.

Then you have racists like Donald Trump calling for proven innocent black men to be executed.

by Anonymousreply 27June 16, 2021 11:48 AM

Fucking autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 28June 16, 2021 11:50 AM

Kill/murder, whatever. So called Christians claim that life is God given and only God has the right to take it back.

by Anonymousreply 29June 16, 2021 11:54 AM

I don't give a fuck about what happens to Tsarnaev.

I am dismayed that Merrick Garland seems to have time and energy for this shit. He has really important work that needs to be done and this... isn't... it.

by Anonymousreply 30June 16, 2021 12:05 PM

[quote]The death penalty was never meant as a deterrent. It was meant to remove those who forfeited their place in society due to their heinous actions.

Nah. It only functions as some feel good revenge to feed to the masses. The target is always politically expendable. The trial ensures that.

by Anonymousreply 31June 16, 2021 12:08 PM

[QUOTE] I am dismayed that Merrick Garland seems to have time and energy for this shit. He has really important work that needs to be done and this... isn't... it.

Garland has been quite a strange AG so far. I know the left can’t be happy with him.

by Anonymousreply 32June 16, 2021 12:16 PM

Why do wealthy, white career criminals like Donald Trump, gangsta thug/mafioso wannabe, attempted murderer con artist/grifter supreme, always seem to get a pass in the American justice system?

If Merrick Garland is interested in real justice, he'd confine his activities to investigating his immediate predecessor at DOJ and his criminal boss.

by Anonymousreply 33June 16, 2021 12:18 PM

As far as the death penalty goes, I'm only interested in Merrick Garland's position on how it applies to insurrectionists and the corrupt politicians who egged them on. And when that opinion comes, it really needs to be heavily in favor of a broad application of the death penalty for everyone involved in the attack on the Capitol. And I do mean everyone.

by Anonymousreply 34June 16, 2021 12:19 PM

[quote] You can’t bay for both, Mohammad?

One can, but you don’t, do you Matt?

by Anonymousreply 35June 16, 2021 12:20 PM

Something worse than capital punishment? Deportation.

by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2021 12:22 PM

And this was going to be a "progressive" on the Supreme Court

by Anonymousreply 37June 16, 2021 12:37 PM

Firing squad with pigs' blood bullets.

by Anonymousreply 38June 16, 2021 12:40 PM

[quote]And this was going to be a "progressive" on the Supreme Court

NO. Never. Not ever was he that.

Merrick Garland was supposed to be a palatable choice for Obama that the Republicans would still confirm.

by Anonymousreply 39June 16, 2021 12:46 PM

He would only be considered progressive compared to the rightwing assholes like Clarence Thomas on the court. He was billed as a centrist, however. Like a politician from a red state that we tolerate cause it’s the only way we can get a Democrat elected there. A Joe Manchin type.

by Anonymousreply 40June 16, 2021 12:52 PM

[quote]One can, but you don’t, do you Matt?

Okay, “Matt” is the new “Boris” apparently? Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 41June 16, 2021 1:11 PM

Nooo! Dzhokhar still has a lot to offer... sexually!

by Anonymousreply 42June 16, 2021 1:17 PM

Another one creaming himself over that one picture.

by Anonymousreply 43June 16, 2021 1:34 PM

R5, we don't know how many others it's helped deter from doing similar.

Also, punishment isn't just about prevention: it's also about retribution, and rehabilitation to a lesser extent. At least in traditional American criminal law, the DOJ's forte.

by Anonymousreply 44June 16, 2021 1:38 PM

I’m with r-34. Execute any unauthorized persons who entered the Capitol on January 6. Even with good intentions of stringing up Pence, it can’t go unpunished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 16, 2021 1:48 PM

[quote]The death penalty does absolutely nothing to deter future crimes.

That's because getting 30 years of appeals while sitting in a cell is not seen as very horrific. If there was an execution room attached to every death penalty court room and you were taken there with your family screaming from the audience and executed right after your conviction, watch the deterent factor increase 100 fold.

by Anonymousreply 46June 16, 2021 1:59 PM

Which would lead to a countless number of innocent men being executed by their own government, R46.

by Anonymousreply 47June 16, 2021 2:03 PM

I'd sure like to see Mr. Law and Order @R46 scenario played out with murderer Trump and the entire Trump family as witness to his grizzly execution.

Except Mr. Law and Order doesn't want that to happen to rich, white men. They're exempt from all laws.

by Anonymousreply 48June 16, 2021 2:03 PM

Democrats love their Islam. They defend, they fight, they protect. They love it.

by Anonymousreply 49June 16, 2021 2:05 PM

R48, how wrong you are. I'd be the executioner for Trump and his entire blood line. Throw in all the in-laws, too.

R47, maybe they wouldn't put themselves in situations where they are being tried in death penalty cases. That's a pretty high fucking bar anymore.

by Anonymousreply 50June 16, 2021 2:08 PM

[quote]Merrick Garland was supposed to be a palatable choice for Obama that the Republicans would still confirm.

How'd that work out?

by Anonymousreply 51June 16, 2021 2:15 PM

[quote]White House spokesperson Andrew Bates said Tuesday that the Justice Department “has independence regarding such decisions” about federal death penalty cases, but reiterated Biden’s supposed opposition to capital punishment.

That "supposed" is why I hate Huffpost. Any real news source's editor would have told him to fuck off with his editorialized "supposed". I hate propaganda, right or left. The fact that they fail to focus at all on the independence that has rightfully returned to the Justice Department is telling.

by Anonymousreply 52June 16, 2021 2:17 PM

Isn’t he a terrorist? Who gives a shit about his rights.

by Anonymousreply 53June 16, 2021 2:17 PM

R50

[quote] [R47], maybe they wouldn't put themselves in situations where they are being tried in death penalty cases. That's a pretty high fucking bar anymore.

WOW, you are a deplorable piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 54June 16, 2021 2:19 PM

I’m not sure if he’s a Deplorable or just sheltered and doesn’t understand how hanging out with the wrong crowd can get you jammed up for something you didn’t do. This should not lead to being murdered by your government.

by Anonymousreply 55June 16, 2021 2:45 PM

R55, then they shouldn't hang out with the wrong crowd. I'm sick of adults being treated like children. You are responsible for your choices. Mass execution of the January 6th assholes could be nothing but great for our country as a whole. Done with morons. They're turning us into a real life idiocracy. Kill the dregs of society. Only religious loons think every human life has value. Nope. Humans are practically a parasite in the world at this point. We need to scrape the shit off our shoes.

by Anonymousreply 56June 16, 2021 2:49 PM

Tsarnaev's mother programmed her two sons with all of her hatreds. She also needs to stand trial for her role in the bombing.

by Anonymousreply 57June 16, 2021 2:52 PM

Good…then they can move on to those insurrectionist bastards….won’t be shedding any tears for them.

by Anonymousreply 58June 16, 2021 3:00 PM

This is good but shouldn’t the DOJ be doing more urgent things like arresting Trump?

by Anonymousreply 59June 16, 2021 3:06 PM

R59, maybe reestablishing the use of the death penalty at the federal level is the first step toward Trump.

by Anonymousreply 60June 16, 2021 3:08 PM

Merrick Garland probably believes that Trump is immune from prosecution. I can damn well guarantee he won’t touch him. Hell, he’s still in court fighting on Trump’s behalf. With taxpayer money. And you think he’s coming after him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 16, 2021 3:13 PM

The death penalty is never right in any circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 62June 16, 2021 3:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 16, 2021 3:16 PM

For those saying we should not pay to keep him alive, the fact is that it cost more in expensive appeals with a death sentence. That said, I use to be a great believer in the death penalty, but as I get older, I do not. It is unfairly given out the poor and minorities. Money or fame gets obviously guilty people their freedom, meanwhile those with without the financial means are convicted even there is evidence to exonerate them. It is not applied fairly. For the guilty who do receive it, why should they have such a peaceful, painless death? Let them live in prison until they die.

by Anonymousreply 64June 16, 2021 3:16 PM

The United States in no better than pariah states like Saudi Arabia or China when it comes to brutally executing people.

The death penalty has no place in the modern world.

Lock them up and let them rot in hell. But killing them makes you no better than them.

by Anonymousreply 65June 16, 2021 3:20 PM

End death penalty. I have worked in prisons and the punishment is being there, removed from everything you know. That is satisfactory in a civil society.

by Anonymousreply 66June 16, 2021 3:21 PM

R56

You’re saying innocent people deserve to be executed for a crime they didn’t commit because they were wronged by the justice system for BS reasons.

Look at the innocent (mostly black men) who were on death row for years and were almost executed. They were sent there due to dirty prosecutors, police, jury, etc.

by Anonymousreply 67June 16, 2021 3:21 PM

[QUOTE] End death penalty. I have worked in prisons and the punishment is being there, removed from everything you know. That is satisfactory in a civil society.

What if you never really had much, R66? Prison isn’t really that bad for a lot of these guys. Especially if you’re able to function in a general population environment. You make friends. You might get visits and money from the outside. You get to eat and watch TV and read. You have lovers. It’s often too good of a life for someone who might have butchered a couple people.

by Anonymousreply 68June 16, 2021 3:27 PM

I'm not necessarily against execution where cases are absolutely proven, without doubt, and only for the most heinous of crimes (child rapists, terrorism, mass shootings, etc.) -- but it really needs to be 100% (recordings, pics, bodies, DNA, and so on.)

I do understand the caution though. There's a lot of laws, that had good intentions, that turned sour. Used against the wrong people. I think of that law about killing babies in utero -- I loudly fought against that law, even though people thought poorly of me (who doesn't feel sympathy for a pregnant woman that lost it because of a violent act?) Not long after, they started using that very law against pregnant women for having miscarriages, suicide attempts, etc. Even the judges admitted that wasn't the intent, but the cases still fit the laws definition of "murder".

It's just something that shouldn't be taken lightly and used very sparingly.

by Anonymousreply 69June 16, 2021 3:28 PM

A couple, r68? Hee-hee.

by Anonymousreply 70June 16, 2021 3:28 PM

R67- Yes, a staggering amount of innocent human beings spent decades in prison for a crime they did not commit. The Innocent Project exposed a frightening pattern of unfairly convicted inmates and that is when I could no longer morally support it. Also, I have never really understood the logic of trying to show how wrong killing is by killing killers. I mean, there should be more logic applied to state sanctioned murder than that. How are we morally superior murders if we murder them?

by Anonymousreply 71June 16, 2021 3:35 PM

R67

*and were executed

by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2021 3:35 PM

@R71- God, typos. Morally superior TO murders.

by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote]The death penalty is never right in any circumstances.

Especially when the perp is Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 74June 16, 2021 3:38 PM

Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 75June 16, 2021 3:39 PM

I don't have a problem with capital punishment.

I have a problem with the system that disproportionately uses it against poor people and minorities, while wealthy people are able to avoid it.

Also, the number of people who have been proven innocent after execution is sad.

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2021 3:39 PM

R62

That’s true….the death penalty is barbaric and wrong …but I just hate those terrorists so much…i want them to suffer like the way they made others suffer….

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2021 3:43 PM

Who was proven innocent after execution, R76?

by Anonymousreply 78June 16, 2021 3:45 PM

I don't have a problem with that. All terrorists...even domestic...should follow the same fate.

by Anonymousreply 79June 16, 2021 3:51 PM

And those insurrectionists all seem so smug…..the prospect of the death penalty might make them think twice…they wouldn’t hesitate to murder anyone that stood in their way…plus look at who their cherished leader is…a fucking lunatic

by Anonymousreply 80June 16, 2021 3:51 PM

[quote]I agree. Put a pigskin noose on him.

Something tells me you think this way because you want to stick it to people who had nothing to do with what he did.

by Anonymousreply 81June 16, 2021 3:52 PM

IT is hard to be totally anti-death penality because I feel the same about as you most of the time. I was even pissed off when lethal injection became the mode of death. Wtf, I thought! They do not deserve such a merciful death after the pain they inflicted on innocent people. Bundy was one of the last death row inmates to get the electric chair, and I am still so happy about that. No matter where you stand morally, it isn't applied fairly, and I can not support such an exploitive system.

by Anonymousreply 82June 16, 2021 3:58 PM

Why can’t we put a razor wire fence ….. say around Texas and send all the terrorists and insurrectionists there..like a Devils Island.

They can fight among themselves and save the rest of us the headache of having to deal with them

by Anonymousreply 83June 16, 2021 4:00 PM

Yes, if it becomes overcrowded, we can do the same with Florida.

by Anonymousreply 84June 16, 2021 4:02 PM

[quote]…i want them to suffer like the way they made others suffer….

Thank you, R77, for coming along and illustrating the point I was making in R31.

by Anonymousreply 85June 16, 2021 4:11 PM

This is such a difficult topic but there are cases where when you say there should never be state sanctioned murder for any reason you then come across the case of Tiffany Cole and can find no reason for keeping her and her cohorts alive. When you come across a situation of such unspeakable horror I question the moral integrity of those who claim she should kept alive out of a civilized sense of fairness. She has been fighting her sentence for 13 years which alone makes a mockery of the justice system.

by Anonymousreply 86June 16, 2021 4:28 PM

[quote] I am dismayed that Merrick Garland seems to have time and energy for this shit. He has really important work that needs to be done and this... isn't... it.

Disagree, r30. The 20th anniversary of 9/11 is coming right up. If there were ever a need for deterrence of terrorism, this would be the exact moment for it.

by Anonymousreply 87June 16, 2021 4:31 PM

Come on, R87. We all know it’s not really considered terrorism when white people do it.

by Anonymousreply 88June 16, 2021 4:37 PM

I agree, R86. The cost is astronomical for years of appeals. They also get special housing and access to the library, perks regular inmates for not get. It is so difficult to watch such evil get anything except death.

by Anonymousreply 89June 16, 2021 4:40 PM

R89- Inmates do not get. Oh, when will we ever get an edit option.

by Anonymousreply 90June 16, 2021 4:43 PM

His hole was so brown that day.

by Anonymousreply 91June 16, 2021 4:47 PM

He cannot be rehabilitated and set free, he brings no value to society and is a perfect candidate for the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 92June 16, 2021 5:20 PM

The point was that Joe Biden was supposed to end the federal death penalty. Remember all that bullshit about Trump rushing to execute inmates at the end of his term? Biden was supposed to mean the end of that.

by Anonymousreply 93June 16, 2021 6:13 PM

[quote] End death penalty. I have worked in prisons and the punishment is being there, removed from everything you know. That is satisfactory in a civil society.

If that's not just a line and you actually worked in a prison you are the sort of do-gooder patsy the inmates laugh at. The Nurse-killer Richard Speck and his sort make complete fools of your kind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 16, 2021 6:24 PM

I don't think of it as a deterrent. I think of it as an eye for an eye. You kill, you die.

by Anonymousreply 95June 16, 2021 6:34 PM

R95 supports killing people because bookkeeping.

And anyone who has ever seen "Fiddler on the Roof" knows the problem with his 'eye for an eye' excuse for his bloodlust.

by Anonymousreply 96June 16, 2021 8:46 PM

Unfortunately it won't deter Muslims, they love nothing more than dying for taking out a bunch of infidels.

But this being Biden's AG who wants the death penalty for this terrorist, it will boost Joe Biden in the polls. That's all that matters really.

by Anonymousreply 97June 16, 2021 9:10 PM

R68. Most of the people in prison are not murderers. I spent 10 years working on and off for the CA Dept of Corrections (physician). I continually saw black and brown people sentenced to overly long terms. I had a patient (black)who got 5 years for a DUI (no accident/injury to others) due to prior possession of crack. I remember him because he made me cry. For a decade he had worked hard, rebuilt his life, married and had a family- and due to this crack possession from over a decade ago, he got 5 years for a crime (1st DUI) that typically involves attending drivers programs and paying fines.

No more death penalty. No more mandatory terms. Let's make the justice system more just.

by Anonymousreply 98June 16, 2021 9:55 PM

"Let's make the justice system more just."

Not gonna happen as long as cops, assistant D.A.'s, court workers are civil service employees just there killing time till they take their early and generous pension plans. No one wants to rock the boat, and nobody wants to work too hard when you can drag some schmuck off the street and charge him with anything and they won't know what him them. Just as long as those DROP points keep getting racked up on the score board. See: City of Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 99June 16, 2021 10:16 PM

Private prisons and jails are an atrocity. Who the fuck thought that private companies getting paid per prisoner was a good idea? Think they haven't lengthened sentences so the prisoners have to stay in jail longer? Think they don't target the poor and minorities? Of course they do and for non- violent crimes. They do this because they know they can not afford bail will have to be incarcerated until their trial. Cha-ching! More money for them! The judges who will decide their case is in in it to. They get their cut. The system victimizes the poor and minorities. Always. It is abuse and a violation of human rights. The system is abusive and corrupt to the core.

by Anonymousreply 100June 16, 2021 10:33 PM

Hateful. Hatred.

It's in the blood—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 16, 2021 10:38 PM

That’s all of them R101.

by Anonymousreply 102June 16, 2021 10:39 PM

I know I get slammed for daring to say this, but they scare the shit out of me because they bitterly hate Americans and they are horribly violent.

by Anonymousreply 103June 16, 2021 10:48 PM

Muslims have a perpetual victim privilege.

by Anonymousreply 104June 16, 2021 11:35 PM

Voltaire even warned us. Nobody listens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 16, 2021 11:41 PM

I want the death penalty for Donald Trump. He killed a lot more people.

by Anonymousreply 106June 16, 2021 11:47 PM

[quote]I had a patient (black)who got 5 years for a DUI (no accident/injury to others) due to prior possession of crack.

Then maybe he should have thought about the fact that he had that on his record before he irresponsibly drove drunk. He must not have turned his life around too much if he was driving drunk. How hard is it to just not drive drunk? Choices have consequences. Those were his. And, I'm sure he wasn't serving the whole sentence anyway unless he yet again failed to learn his lesson and did something in prison to extend his stay to his full term. I think 2.5 years if a good sentence for a drunk driver with a previous drug record.

by Anonymousreply 107June 17, 2021 3:34 AM

Threads like these remind me of how hypocritical so many people are in our society. Abortion = murder; Death penalty = not murder? What? I can sort of see the argument for abortion being murder, even though I completely disagree. But the death penalty is premeditated murder. How are Christians okay with that?

It also makes me think of how so many of us condemn other countries for killing people for this or that when essentially we're doing the same thing in America. Sure, the reasons might be different, but Russia, China, and America (for example) are in the habit of killing people for acting in ways that are disagreeable to the government.

How about we all just stop killing people?

by Anonymousreply 108June 17, 2021 3:56 AM

R108 "Premeditation" is predicated on the concept of "innocence". Which those under the sentence of death are most certainly NOT.

by Anonymousreply 109June 17, 2021 4:03 AM

good. biden shouldnt lose political points for this fucker. i get the arguments against the death penalty, but id have no problem flipping the switch on this asshole.

by Anonymousreply 110June 17, 2021 4:05 AM

[quote]biden shouldnt lose political points for this fucker.

No he’ll just confirm a Muslim to the bench.

by Anonymousreply 111June 17, 2021 4:15 AM

[quote] Most of the people in prison are not murderers. I spent 10 years working on and off for the CA Dept of Corrections (physician). I continually saw black and brown people sentenced to overly long terms. I had a patient (black)who got 5 years for a DUI (no accident/injury to others) due to prior possession of crack. I remember him because he made me cry. For a decade he had worked hard, rebuilt his life, married and had a family- and due to this crack possession from over a decade ago, he got 5 years

I call bullshit. That con played you like a violin. You did not see his rap sheet, and you have no idea what his priors really were. In California, DAs avoid asking for unnecessary prison sentences, because (1) there is no room, and (2) the DOC is under a federal court order (going back decades) to reduce the prison population.

This patient convinced you he got a 5 year prison sentence for a 1st DUI just bc of a single crack prior? And made you cry? Please.

by Anonymousreply 112June 17, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote]...In California, DAs avoid asking for unnecessary prison sentences....

WAY too broadly stated to have any merit at all. Certainly, DA's from Humboldt to San Diego are not monolithic.

by Anonymousreply 113June 17, 2021 10:16 PM

[quote]Who was proven innocent after execution, [R76]?

R78, here's a few.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 18, 2021 6:05 AM

[quote] I am dismayed that Merrick Garland seems to have time and energy for this shit. He has really important work that needs to be done and this... isn't... it.

[quote] Garland has been quite a strange AG so far.

A few months back, a former prosecutor interacted on a thread about Merrick Garland. He had worked with Garland and had insights into the man.

It would be fascinating to hear thoughts now from this attorney here on DL.

While I still hold out hope for Garland, I confess to being puzzled at some of the DOJ’s recent moves.(For example why are they supporting Trump in the E Jean Carroll case....that move seems a real head scratcher....unless there is some legal chess move that is not apparent to many of us?)

by Anonymousreply 115June 18, 2021 6:25 AM

Is it a matter of cases just moving forward with prosecutors acting independently. Soon to be fired prosecutors.

by Anonymousreply 116June 18, 2021 6:40 AM

Garland thinks differentiating between male and female humans is "very complicated". Why would anyone expect anything good from him or, for that matter, from any nominee put forth by the President who first eviscerated Title IX and whose entire first presidential campaign was funded by trans industry billionaire family, the Pritzkers?

by Anonymousreply 117June 18, 2021 8:53 AM

r112 You were wrong to call bullshit for a couple of reasons.

1) You don't know when this took place. You spoke about DAs and the DOC in present tense. 2) People in prison carry around official pieces of paper detailing their charges. This is to prove they are who they say they are (bank robber not child murderer etc) 3) The USSC (not the DOC) ordered CA to reduce their prison population in 2011, not decades ago as you said. I hope this was a sincere mistake on your part and not an attempt to mislead. 4) You're calling someone a liar sight unseen. The doctor actually knew the guy. I see no reason not to believe the doctor's assessment of his character.

You sound kind of mean. Hopefully you're not in a position of authority.

by Anonymousreply 118June 18, 2021 11:05 AM

(1) are you in the right place, hon? “You sound kind of mean”? ffs

(2) “official pieces of paper” are not rap sheets showing a prisoner's extensive criminal history with priors and arrests. As you said, these “pieces of paper” are for ID purposes only

(3) the California DOC has been under scrutiny and decrees issued by federal judge Thelton Henderson (ret) since the 1990s. Everybody knows this (though I had to google the name). That's decades.

(4) I said the con played the doc like a violin. I did not call the doc a liar.

And finally, (5) you CANNOT actually believe that convicted, sentenced prisoners don't lie. You cannot actually be serious. Especially to caregivers from the outside. For favors, for sympathy, for the game.

You sound debilitatingly naive. I hope you are not in a position of authority.

by Anonymousreply 119June 18, 2021 2:12 PM

^^^ I should have said, ‘comprehensive rap sheets, showing criminal history with priors and arrests’. Someone with a single murder can end up in prison, without an ‘extensive' criminal history.

Tsarnaev prob doesn’t have an extensive criminal history. But he sits in fed prison, nonetheless, because of a single heinous act.

by Anonymousreply 120June 18, 2021 2:41 PM

[quote]But he sits in fed prison, nonetheless, because of a single heinous act.

And that's exactly where the Terrorist Tsarnaev should be.

by Anonymousreply 121June 18, 2021 2:47 PM

If they'll allow him to do an OnlyFans from his cell, I fully support life in prison without parole in lieu of the death penalty. It would be wrong not to. If they won't allow him to do OnlyFans, I couldn't care less what they do with him, TBH.

by Anonymousreply 122June 18, 2021 7:02 PM

Now he’s ordering a moratorium on the death penalty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 2, 2021 12:25 AM

It's not up to Garland. There are death committees who decide. But how progressive of him to even go there.

The first at the local US Attorney's Office and then if they recommend death, then it goes up to Main Justice for further approval or non-approval by them. There are hearings held before the committees at each stage whereby the government and the defense has to put forth their arguments. The committees are comprised of prosecutors.

It is really hard for defense attorneys to do this because if done effectively it usually requires that they reveal their defense at that time to show its weaknesses. The defense would also present any other mitigation at this point, mental health issues, etc. When you come away from those hearings with a no death penalty decision, it is like you won the trial. Almost.

by Anonymousreply 124July 2, 2021 1:27 AM

One of the best things Trump did was to allow the needle be inserted into 13 convicted murderers and child rapists. Particularly Lisa Marie Montgomery for the murder of 23-year-old Bobbie Jo Stinnett and removal of Stinnett's daughter from her womb in December 2004.

It's a shame how it appears Tsarnaev will get a pass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 2, 2021 1:51 AM

Looks like the Court may reinstate his execution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 13, 2021 7:15 PM

The govt should not have the power to murder it's own citizens.

by Anonymousreply 127October 13, 2021 7:21 PM

Did his old cunt of a mother ever get deported?

by Anonymousreply 128October 13, 2021 7:32 PM

Not only did he get 1400 stimulus money but people are sending him money!!.....Who the fuck would send this guy money? Over 20,000 dollars!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129January 7, 2022 3:11 AM

It's own citizens?

Oh dear.

By the way, the government absolutely should have the power to seek the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 130January 7, 2022 3:48 AM

R56 Isn’t your ideology what Hitler believed?

by Anonymousreply 131January 7, 2022 3:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!