Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Lenox Square Mall in Buckhead, Atlanta is dangerous now?

I thought that was the rich people mall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 20, 2021 12:59 PM

Buckhead is reportedly considering separating itself from Atlanta and running its own PD. It seems crime is really up there.

by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2021 11:29 AM

Won't peoples still be able to drive up there and shoot at the mall if Buckhead secedes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2021 12:18 PM

Wow. That is a shame. My mom has always gone to the Neiman Marcus there. She hasn’t been since covid of course. I’ll have to tell her that she can’t go until they get they’re shit together.

by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2021 12:37 PM

Their shit, obviously...

by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2021 12:38 PM

Neiman Marcus is at Phipps I think

by Anonymousreply 5June 14, 2021 12:39 PM

High end malls in urban areas tend to attract a certain element that like to start shooting off their guns if they feel they've been "disrespected."

by Anonymousreply 6June 14, 2021 12:46 PM

Dishreshpected.

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2021 12:47 PM

“How can you be disrespected when you don’t respect yourself? Now pull up your pants and get a haircut, young man!”

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2021 12:50 PM

Will post whole article since paywalled

ATLANTA—Lauren LeNoir had always felt safe on her quiet street in Buckhead, the city’s wealthiest neighborhood, known for its upscale malls and mansions. But that all changed when she was coming home from work one night in January.

The 43-year-old restaurant general manager pulled into her driveway. In an instant, she said, two men were at her car door. One man threw her to the ground, pressed a gun to her head and threatened to blow her head off. In the end, they took off with her purse and cellphone.

“He had no regard for my life,” she said. “They’ve stolen something that I cannot get back, and that is my sense of security.”

Violent crime has been on the rise in many parts of Atlanta since last summer, not just Buckhead. From Jan. 1 to Feb. 20, there were 18 homicides in Atlanta, up 80% compared with the same period last year, according to the Atlanta Police Department. Shooting incidents were up 32% for the same period; robberies, 17%; and aggravated assaults, 47%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 14, 2021 12:54 PM

In the police zone that includes Buckhead, robberies were up 40% from the same period last year and aggravated assaults rose 35%. In the police zone that includes the downtown area, aggravated assaults rose 24% and auto thefts rose more than 200%, compared with the same period last year.

Many major U.S. cities experienced increases in homicides, aggravated assaults and gun-related crimes in 2020, according to a report funded in part by the Council on Criminal Justice, a think tank. Of the 34 cities in the report, 29 saw annual increases in homicides, including Atlanta with 38%, New York City with 43% and Chicago with 55%.

For Atlanta, the increase follows years of dropping crime rates and an influx of wealthier residents drawn to the city by plentiful jobs, including those in tech and for corporations like Coca-Cola Co. , Delta Air Lines Inc. and Home Depot Inc.

Ms. LeNoir said she now is looking to buy a home in the suburbs and some of her friends also plan to move. “Everybody is on edge,” she said.

Some Buckhead residents are so alarmed by the crime wave that they have launched a committee to explore seceding from Atlanta, which would mean having its own police department. The Buckhead Exploratory Committee told The Wall Street Journal that crime wasn’t its only concern but was playing a critical role.

“Our residents are genuinely concerned for their safety and the safety of their family members. Residents must be wary and ‘on guard’ continuously, even when doing routine tasks like going to the gas station, nearby shopping mall, shopping at the grocery store or just pulling into their driveways, mindful if anyone is lurking in the bushes,” the committee said in a statement.

The police department and criminologists attribute the change to a shortage in officers, following protests over policing last summer that led many officers to retire or take jobs elsewhere. They also say less foot traffic on city streets during the pandemic emboldens criminals who are more likely to think they won’t get caught.

by Anonymousreply 10June 14, 2021 12:55 PM

Earlier this month, Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Christopher Wray told the Senate Judiciary Committee that the pandemic and police recruiting and staffing played roles in the violent crime spikes in Atlanta and other major cities.

“The violent crime problem over the last year in particular, 2020, is something that is a great concern that we are very warily keeping our eye on,” Mr. Wray said.

Interim Police Chief Rodney Bryant, who was appointed to the post in June, has said he is committed to new policing approaches while also working to reduce violent crime. In January, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and Chief Bryant announced a series of reform measures, including putting more resources into enforcement against gangs and gun violence, creating a new public-safety academy to train officers in new policing methods and working harder to recruit and retain officers.

Atlanta Police Department spokesman Sgt. John Chafee said in a statement the rise in violent crime came while “we were dealing with increased hostility toward law enforcement and a decreased sense of trust toward police. Atlanta, as well as many other cities, saw an increase in officers leaving the job, further adding to the challenges faced in keeping our communities safe.”

The department currently has about 1,700 sworn employees, down from the 2,046 it is authorized to have, according to the department. New recruits account for 89 of the employees.

Sgt. Chafee said the pace of officers leaving the department has slowed and its recruitment efforts are paying off, though there is still work to be done.

The crime wave has caused friction between Mayor Bottoms’s administration and the city council. In December, a 7-year-old girl was shot as she rode in her family’s car near Phipps Plaza, a Buckhead shopping mall, and died days later.

Howard Shook, the longtime city councilman for the area, wrote an open letter to the Bottoms administration, criticizing its leadership. Mr. Shook said in an interview that the administration hasn’t done enough to respond to the crime problem, while residents have overwhelmingly supported his stand.

“Nothing that I’ve done in 20 years has engendered such support,” he said.

Mayor Bottoms’s office didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Atlanta City Council President Felicia Moore said in an interview that the city needs to balance supporting police and making sure residents’ rights are protected. Residents are pressing for more officers to hit the streets, she said.

“The criminals read the news and watch the TV,” she said. “They know you are down officers.”

Matt Brill, 41, who has lived in Buckhead since 2002, was returning from getting a pizza for his family last summer when a man followed him home. When the man pulled a rifle from his car, Mr. Brill quickly ran into his house and called the police. The man drove away.

Mr. Brill said he has no plans to move yet, but he said some neighbors are thinking of leaving.

“You kind of are hopeful that this is a near-term trend,” he said. “At first it’s just a one-off, but then it keeps happening and you wonder, are we just stupid for staying here?”

by Anonymousreply 11June 14, 2021 12:56 PM

This is why armed response, gated communities have thrived. Not security perfect but a step in the right direction. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 12June 14, 2021 12:58 PM

As Louis Vuitton and various other $$ brands know, once the gangstas decide you’re a luxury brand, you’re toast.

In Atlanta, this was bound to happen. Aren’t there some nice little suburban towns with a chichi downtown shopping area?

by Anonymousreply 13June 14, 2021 1:02 PM

Why even bother creating a shopping area, everything's online now.

by Anonymousreply 14June 14, 2021 1:06 PM

Malls attract trash. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 15June 14, 2021 1:19 PM

Fuck Buckhead. Good. Let those rich cunts feel the fear and danger the rest of Metro Atlanta has been going through. The police are lazy corrupt thugs. They are more dangerous than the criminals. The police never patrol the neighborhoods because there are 50 cameras on every corner. That is great. If I am shot in the fucking head walking to my car it will be on camera. Does me a lot of good, huh? My husband will be so comforted by that. Eat the rich. I loathe them now.

by Anonymousreply 16June 14, 2021 1:21 PM

These are the same assholes who vote Republican and don't want gun control, because FREEDOMS.

If there wasn't so much wealth inequality and structural racism put in place by our racist asshole legislators, the crime that exists probably wouldn't exist to begin with.

Equality is a policy choice and even knows this.

I wonder if they're just as scared when white males are shooting shit up?

by Anonymousreply 17June 14, 2021 1:36 PM

Buckhead went over 60% for Biden. R17 is stuck in 2007.

by Anonymousreply 18June 14, 2021 1:42 PM

Neiman's is in Lenox; I've shopped there many times. I figured things were going this direction after all the looting at Phipp's Plaza across the street last summer. If the APD or Lenox/Phipp's Security don't get this under control, the white flight will continue north into Alpharetta, Cumming, etc.

by Anonymousreply 19June 14, 2021 1:44 PM

They will get the police protection they are demanding. The rich get everything they want and demand from this country while the rest of us suffer from lack of affordable housing, lack of medical care, soaring costs of living and unequal income. The rich should all just fucking die so the rest of us can have a fair chance at living. Selfish, greedy motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 20June 14, 2021 1:47 PM

I remember in the late 80s (?) when the city built the Marta station at Lenox. At the time, Lenox was a great place to shop along with Phipps across the street. A friend of mine said- 'well that's the end of Lenox'! meaning that the poor and non-white brethren of Atlanta now had access to what had been an exclusively white area. I thought it was the worst racial comment I'd heard in awhile.

It was true. The area has been dangerous ever since.

by Anonymousreply 21June 14, 2021 1:47 PM

[quote] Neiman Marcus is at Phipps I think

You thought wrong.

by Anonymousreply 22June 14, 2021 1:48 PM

Phipps are a bunch of gyps.

by Anonymousreply 23June 14, 2021 1:48 PM

It was a big mistake putting two train stations within walking distance of the two most high end shopping malls in the city.

by Anonymousreply 24June 14, 2021 1:49 PM

This is what wealth inequality and lack of material comfort will breed.

I blame the fucking system for this mess. Legislators don't pass bills that will actually help people. You take care of that, crime drops significantly.

by Anonymousreply 25June 14, 2021 1:51 PM

This is the unfortunate cost of the 2nd amendment.

by Anonymousreply 26June 14, 2021 1:52 PM

COVID has the crime rate up all across America. The poorest will be the last to recover or get jobs after the pandemic is over. Unfortunately some of them are resorting to crime.

by Anonymousreply 27June 14, 2021 1:53 PM

Face it. Crime is going up everywhere and will continue to. The rich will must definitely continue to be targets because people are angry at them for the reasons already posted above.

by Anonymousreply 28June 14, 2021 1:53 PM

pretty much all the restaurants have moved from or are in the process of moving out of both Lennox and Phipps malls. it's not worth it and no one visits them after the sun goes down.

by Anonymousreply 29June 14, 2021 1:54 PM

They need more security guards with taser guns.

by Anonymousreply 30June 14, 2021 1:57 PM

Clearly Lenox (and Phipps too probably) needs to invest in a lot more visible security until things calm down. It doesn't appear they're interested in doing that.

by Anonymousreply 31June 14, 2021 2:00 PM

R29- You are taking one hell of a chance leaving your home at night now, no matter where you live. Between the unequal living and wage issue, the gun availability, anger, fear, and untreated mental illness is apocalyptic. Then Trump, at the very worse time in this countries history, has ushered in a wave of evil. Between that and the destruction of this country by the rich and elite, things are very dire indeed.

by Anonymousreply 32June 14, 2021 2:00 PM

The wealthy residents should contact Governor Kemp and ask him to get his caucus to pass bills that will actually help people instead of harming Georgia residents.

A lot of this is politics and policy etc. We as a country have been failed by our elected officials who are supposed to help make our society better, instead they hurt us time and time again.

All if this can be addressed compassionately through good humane legislation, but we all know that's not going to happen with this current administration and Republican majority in the Georgia legislature.

This country could be so much more if we actually had better leaders who cared and weren't bought and paid for by corporate interests.

by Anonymousreply 33June 14, 2021 2:05 PM

r21 Same thing happened with Pentagon City in northern Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 34June 14, 2021 2:05 PM

When shopping areas close to urban centers become too dangerous and too unprofitable, they close down. This causes the people who would have gone there to go out further into the remaining shopping areas in the suburbs, and then attack and kill out there.

by Anonymousreply 35June 14, 2021 2:06 PM

This all goes back to wealth inequality!

It's simply the truth.

by Anonymousreply 36June 14, 2021 2:08 PM

Also, suburbs aren’t safe anymore. You need to shop in the exurbs.

by Anonymousreply 37June 14, 2021 2:09 PM

No where is safe and it never really was.

by Anonymousreply 38June 14, 2021 2:13 PM

I have steadfastly refused to go into big shopping malls for many years. I do shop at Lenox on occasion but only at Needless Markup (aka Neiman Marcus) to buy a gift for someone, and I enter their store through their own entrance and bypass the inside of the mall completely.

by Anonymousreply 39June 14, 2021 2:13 PM

We have tried to keep Southlake mall open here in Metro Atalanta. Due to covid and online shopping it has been extremely difficult. The once thriving, busy mall is a ghost town. Still, we have been giving it our business to help keep it open. Well, no more. 2 women have been raped, in the mall, and last week a shootout occured with innocent bystanders injured and the gunman killed by the police.

by Anonymousreply 40June 14, 2021 2:14 PM

Defund the police, this is part of the problem. New recruits will be hard to come by due to the perception especially for minority ones who may face a backlash from their families and friends.

What we need is reform, better training and ties to the communities the police serve. Parenting seems to have been forgotten as kids become feral and entitled. I also blame our states lack of investment in helping underprivileged youth get ahead with education and job placement. This is not just a race problem it’s society at large.

by Anonymousreply 41June 14, 2021 3:12 PM

The thugs were on quarantine lockdown too long. They need to make up for lost time.

by Anonymousreply 42June 14, 2021 3:20 PM

"Lenox was lovely until they opened that darn subway station, bringing all the wrong element from the city."

by Anonymousreply 43June 14, 2021 3:21 PM

Rich people don't go to malls. They send their Guatemalan servants to pick up the stuff they ordered online.

by Anonymousreply 44June 14, 2021 3:24 PM

It's the new rich who don't go to malls. They think they're too good to go out and shop on their own. They like to put on airs. They also more often than not die broke.

The old rich go to malls, and discount stores, and anywhere there's a deal to be had. Because they know the value of a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 45June 14, 2021 3:31 PM

Atlanta is a shithole. I lived there for 12 years. I remember reading about some guy who shot someone and I googled his name and he had been involved in a murder (he did the shooting) 2 yrs before. How in the hell was he walking around on the streets after murdering someone?

In the past 10 months (maybe less) they've found about 15 assorted people shot dead in their cars on the sides of major highways

I now live an hour outside of Atlanta and 3 teenagers were shot at a playground. My friend was there at the time and said nothing was happening and a car just pulled up and shot them

by Anonymousreply 46June 14, 2021 3:40 PM

Malls were built when the bourgeoisie no longer felt safe going to downtown department stores; now that they're no longer safe going to malls, what happens? The idea that you can go to the mall and shop, dine, get your hair done and see a movie in a controlled, safer environment was the entire appeal of these mini-cities. I can't help think of these huge, fortresslike malls like Lenox Square are now white elephants.

by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2021 3:41 PM

The exurbs are crawling with meth heads and pillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 48June 14, 2021 3:42 PM

r47 violence is everywhere now, these upscale places aren't the safe havens they used to be.

by Anonymousreply 49June 14, 2021 3:43 PM

Communism doesn’t work, comrade.

There will always be poor people. At least in this country, poor people get all kinds of free shit. And if they feel like educating themselves and working hard, they can improve their circumstances.

Which is why people from all over the world die trying to get here.

by Anonymousreply 50June 14, 2021 3:57 PM

R43 Darling you said it then and you were so correct. Are you back at High Hampton this summer? We were supposed to go to our place in Dark Harbor but the crowds were so vile last year that I am in qaundary as to what I should do.

by Anonymousreply 51June 14, 2021 4:00 PM

It is true about public transportation bringing in a bad element. There's a big upscale shopping area not too far from where I am, and an extension of the public bus line was proposed. JFC you would've thought it was the end of the world, people were so against it. The bus line never happened.

by Anonymousreply 52June 14, 2021 4:08 PM

Same r39. I couldn’t tell you another store at Lenox because I would go with my mom and she’d park in front of Neiman’s entrance or in the deck behind it.

In and out.

by Anonymousreply 53June 14, 2021 4:09 PM

It's also why the Georgetown neighborhood banded together to prevent a Metro stop there.

by Anonymousreply 54June 14, 2021 4:09 PM

Lenox Square Mall. It's HUGE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 14, 2021 4:10 PM

[quote]In and out.

Your mom was notorious for that.

by Anonymousreply 56June 14, 2021 4:11 PM

How mad do you have to be to shoot someone in the middle of a fucking mall? How does that end in any way except you in jail? So many questions.

by Anonymousreply 57June 14, 2021 4:15 PM

I remember Lenox before it was enclosed and multi level. We shopped for groceries at the Colonial grocery store there. My mother's hair dresser (Cordis Hendricks) was there.

I also remember the spot where the mall is before it was built. It was all countryside. I remember my mother being amazed they wanted to build a shopping center way up there in the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 14, 2021 4:18 PM

I would KILL for a Cinnabon right now!

by Anonymousreply 59June 14, 2021 4:19 PM

It seems like a good idea to turn the mall back into a hybrid indoor/outdoor mall again. Indoor only malls are dying fast everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 60June 14, 2021 4:20 PM

Indoor malls are really becoming a relic of another time.

by Anonymousreply 61June 14, 2021 4:22 PM

In the poorer sections now, Walmart is our only available store. That and Dollar Stores. It is soul crushing. You can not even purchase healthy food from Hellmart. Sugar, carbs, fat. But even these stores are quickly be becoming unaffordable for even middle income people. All I know is if you are not among the very rich, if you can not afford a hilltop home with 10 foot security fencing, be prepared. The poor, and they are armed to the teeth, will be coming for you if something doesn't change drastically in this country.

by Anonymousreply 62June 14, 2021 4:26 PM

Here's a comparison shot of Lenox & surroundings in 1972 and 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 14, 2021 4:40 PM

Time was Lenox had a gas station. It was back just across from where the train station is now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 14, 2021 4:56 PM

The MARTA is scary as hell, even pre-Covid, which sucks because it goes right into the airport.

by Anonymousreply 65June 14, 2021 5:01 PM

Rofl A literal fortress surrounded by a moat of asphalt- people back then must have really thought they would feel safe!

Now the frontage along Peachtree is probably more valuable than anything- I’d redevelop it into a series of plazas shops framing open spaces with fountains and greenery.

by Anonymousreply 66June 14, 2021 5:02 PM

MARTA - Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta

by Anonymousreply 67June 14, 2021 5:04 PM

R67 And the wrong kind at that!!

by Anonymousreply 68June 14, 2021 5:21 PM

The poor are not coming for the rich in some inequality revolution. The poor are killing each other for the most part. And the number of murderes getting away with it is skyrocketing. A byproduct of the defund/reform police movement.

by Anonymousreply 69June 14, 2021 5:22 PM

…murderers

by Anonymousreply 70June 14, 2021 5:24 PM

R56 😭😭😭

I had a feeling someone might comeback with that...

by Anonymousreply 71June 14, 2021 5:31 PM

Just two weekends a go a guy was driving through Buckhead at 8:00 on a Sunday morning shooting at joggers. He hit one guy, who survived. Then crashed his car on purpose to a guy taking out his trash. I don't know the motivation, but it's cray out there.

by Anonymousreply 72June 14, 2021 6:03 PM

r72 there are more and more incidents like that happening all over the US. People are fucking CRAZY.

by Anonymousreply 73June 14, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote]You can not even purchase healthy food from Hellmart.

You have obviously never been in a Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 74June 14, 2021 6:35 PM

[quote] The poor are not coming for the rich in some inequality revolution. The poor are killing each other for the most part. And the number of murderes getting away with it is skyrocketing. A byproduct of the defund/reform police movement.

In Buckhead they are. Read R72s post. And so many people have been robbed at gunpoint in Buckhead. One lady got out of her car and some guy put a gun to her head. There have been so many murders at that mall

by Anonymousreply 75June 14, 2021 11:28 PM

Gay Atlantans had the most racist definition of "MARTA" in the early 00s. I wonder if they are still that racist.

by Anonymousreply 76June 14, 2021 11:34 PM

There’s no such thing as a rich people mall. Rich people don’t go to malls, OP.

by Anonymousreply 77June 14, 2021 11:41 PM

None of the shit going on in Buckhead is going to be solved with legislation. I carry my own gun and will be happy to blow the God damn head off a would be robber.

by Anonymousreply 78June 14, 2021 11:52 PM

America did this to itself. When you have a bunch of racist white assholes running the show, inequality is inevitable to be at sky high levels.

I keep saying what so many others have said. Without material and financial wealth/comfort, leads to criminal behavior across the country. And shit really gets bad during the summer.

People are disenfranchised and angry about it. A system that's stacked against them created by racist white legislators, and when that's the case. It can be very hard to pull yourself out of a hole.

This is why resources and education should be available to every American in abundance, instead of allowing our system to be bought by billionaires corporations and special interest groups.

This country is going to violently explode one day and that's a scary thought.

by Anonymousreply 79June 15, 2021 12:26 AM

Is it dangerous at night to park my rental car around the gay bathhouse in Atlanta? There's just the Flex bathhouse remaining? Thinking of visiting the area.

Most of Atlanta is so heavily Black, correct? Forever? Other than the yuppies in desirable areas, and the large gay contingent, and the respectable Blacks, why live there? Yes, I do realize successful Blacks in Atlanta live in all-Black communities....that's what I saw 20-25 years ago (on 60 Minutes?). Still the same? They live in gorgeous communities and homes, and I believe, at least back when I saw that 60 Minutes segment years ago, they really don't need or want whites or others around?

But it's a very gay city, right? Wasn't it voted gayest city in America years ago in some survey? Plus Elton John has lived there for years?

by Anonymousreply 80June 15, 2021 12:33 AM

Why the fuck does Elton John live in Atlanta. What connection does a white Brit have to the south especially a city like Atlanta?

You'd think he'd live in either NYC or LA, but in Georgia? I'm always surprised when I see Brits or other Europeans here in Georgia. What connection do they have to the south? I've always found that really weird.

It would be like me moving to UK and moving to north England. Why the fuck would I move there? What connection do I have to north England? None.

Elton John is very weird. A brit in Georgia? It just seems unnatural in my opinion. What's the connection?

by Anonymousreply 81June 15, 2021 1:01 AM

They arrested a 15 yo boy and a 15 yo girl in the shooting of the security guard mentioned in the OP.

by Anonymousreply 82June 15, 2021 1:25 AM

I wouldn't be caught dead in Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 83June 15, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote] Yes, I do realize successful Blacks in Atlanta live in all-Black communities

Good God what a ridiculous statement. Successful blacks in Atlanta live wherever they want. This is 2021, not 1965. Atlanta is the one of the most desegregated city in the country. Far more desegregated than New York City or Boston for example.

by Anonymousreply 84June 15, 2021 1:30 AM

R81 I can't even begin to tell you how ridiculous what you wrote is. The ignorance in your statement is staggering.

by Anonymousreply 85June 15, 2021 1:32 AM

[quote]Yes, I do realize successful Blacks in Atlanta live in all-Black communities....that's what I saw 20-25 years ago (on 60 Minutes?).

Wow Nana, you're really on top of this whole Black thing

by Anonymousreply 86June 15, 2021 1:36 AM

Its true that blacks are ruining the malls and I dont care how much you call me a racist. Upscale open area mall in my city never had problems UNTIL they put a bus line to it. Every shopping area they put a bus line too suffers the same fate. Weve all seen it over and over again,and its been that way for many years. It didnt start happening overnight. Something is very wrong with the black community and it doesnt have shit to do with poverty,racism,blah,blah,blah. We just had a 15 year old (convicted felon already) shoot a 16 year old at a park . Thats every single day in my city,and honey,it aint white people .Black on black crime is an epidemic,but they focus on some bullshit that happened 120 years ago while ignoring the bloodbath in the black community. How terrifying it must be for young black men in their own communities.I couldnt imagine.

by Anonymousreply 87June 15, 2021 1:43 AM

Elton had a boyfriend in Atlanta which is why he bought a residence and lived there off and on years ago. The relationship ended and to my knowledge Elton no longer has property in Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 88June 15, 2021 1:44 AM

R88 I was in Atlanta when Elton had the mother of all garage sales. He would go into a store and decide he liked a shirt and buy one in every color. His sale had literally 1000s of items.

by Anonymousreply 89June 15, 2021 1:46 AM

R88, Elton still has the Atlanta property. At least he did a few years ago. He hosted the rapper Young Thug there for brunch.

by Anonymousreply 90June 15, 2021 1:49 AM

r87 that's why people fight to stop bus lines in upscale areas.

by Anonymousreply 91June 15, 2021 1:57 AM

In NYC: That’s why the new Q Train extension only goes to 96th Street. There was talk about extending it further to 125th and everyone’s like HELL NO. It’s nice to get on that train. It’s civilized.

by Anonymousreply 92June 15, 2021 2:02 AM

Where are the white juvenile delinquents causing terror at the malls? Are they too addicted to their gaming devices to go out and cause mayhem like the white juvies of the past?

by Anonymousreply 93June 15, 2021 2:04 AM

BLM.

by Anonymousreply 94June 15, 2021 2:05 AM

People where I live have always fought against public transportation, and especially any public transportation connection to the inner city. It keeps the crime rate down.

by Anonymousreply 95June 15, 2021 2:09 AM

That Q Train fight was crazy! They were like FUCK NO that train isn't stopping in OUR neighborhood!

by Anonymousreply 96June 15, 2021 2:21 AM

[quote]I remember in the late 80s (?) when the city built the Marta station at Lenox.

I lived in midtown Atlanta in 1985; I took the Marta to the Lenox Mall.

by Anonymousreply 97June 15, 2021 2:22 AM

OTOH, Georgetown is choking on it's own auto traffic....

And parking spaces sell for as much as some condos

by Anonymousreply 98June 15, 2021 2:28 AM

[quote] Just two weekends a go a guy was driving through Buckhead at 8:00 on a Sunday morning shooting at joggers. He hit one guy, who survived. Then crashed his car on purpose to a guy taking out his trash. I don't know the motivation,

Of course you don't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 15, 2021 2:58 AM

Towns need a vigilant police force that will keep a look out for drivers who look suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 100June 15, 2021 3:59 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 15, 2021 9:03 AM

[quote] The relationship ended and to my knowledge Elton no longer has property in Atlanta.

Elton still has his 11,000 square foot duplex in the Park Place tower. The apartment comprises one entire upper floor and 1/2 of the floor below. The 1/2 floor level is where he displays many of his trove of photos. His AIDS foundation is still run out of Atlanta. He comes to Atlanta all the time and is completely under the radar which is a big reason he fell in love with the city. As he's said in the past, he can go wherever he wants and no one bothers him. He buys his own groceries in the market and reportedly gives major tips to the bag boys (no pun intended).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 15, 2021 10:09 AM

Elton's first Atlanta boyfriend was the owner of a Baskin Robbins franchise and he was leaps and bounds better looking than that thing he eventually married. Word is that Elton and David live apart much of the time. David lives primarily at their estate in Windsor England. I gather at this point their union is both convenience and financial. If they divorced Elton would probably have to pay Furnish off big time. One thing I've always heard about Furnish is that he's made sure to have Elton by the financial balls. The way they live now gives them both freedom to do whatever (and whoever) they want. I've also heard Furnish goes through a lot of rent boys over in the old country. I know Elton used to carouse himself, but at his age, and face it he's fat as a pig now, I don't know if he's still up to it.

by Anonymousreply 103June 15, 2021 10:23 AM

I had NO IDEA Elton set FOOT in Georgia. How eccentric!

by Anonymousreply 104June 15, 2021 10:35 AM

Here's some info on Elton's Atlanta and Windsor homes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 15, 2021 10:57 AM

More images of his Atlanta apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 15, 2021 10:58 AM

Id have thought his taste would have run more gaudy,but that apartment is quite sedate.

by Anonymousreply 107June 15, 2021 4:50 PM

I tell you, the Brits are everywhere in America it seems. We even have one running Coca Cola here in Georgia.

What the fuck? What brings them to Georgia?

by Anonymousreply 108June 15, 2021 5:05 PM

[quote] What brings them to Georgia?

Southern hospitality

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 15, 2021 5:09 PM

Limeys! In Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 110June 15, 2021 5:14 PM

I couldn't give a fuck about where Elton John or other Brits in America are living. What I do give a fuck about is that there are feral psychopaths all over the place now.

by Anonymousreply 111June 15, 2021 5:44 PM

Humidity, horrible infrastructure, fake whites, angry blacks, soulless downtown. Never understood the appeal of Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 112June 15, 2021 6:39 PM

Elton hasn’t been in Atlanta for about 5 years now. Maybe 6 or 7 by now. He was there a few times a year before that. Hasn’t really had a presence there for over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 113June 15, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote] What brings them to Georgia?

The same thing that brings so many others, opportunities, affordable lifestyle, amenities.

by Anonymousreply 114June 15, 2021 9:35 PM

[quote] Never understood the appeal of Atlanta.

So hopefully we can count on you staying away.

by Anonymousreply 115June 15, 2021 9:36 PM

R114, and male strippers.

by Anonymousreply 116June 15, 2021 9:36 PM

[quote] Security guard shot inside Lenox Square, two suspects caught, police say

The video made its way to Worldstar. I've seen better cinematography.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 16, 2021 6:56 AM

NUDE male strippers, R116.

by Anonymousreply 118June 16, 2021 12:32 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 18, 2021 12:33 PM

I wonder if Bottoms saw polling that said she had no hope of re-election? Maybe she cleared the way for a moderate candidate with a clean slate. One of the risks of being doomed to defeat is your opponent represents a pendulum swing to the other perspective.

I think leading Atlanta would be a thankless, perhaps hopeless, task.

I know there's no one answer, ever, (at least that will actually work) to the complex problems we face but surely if we're to reinvent the nature of policing the communities suffering under the current system need to take a look at what they can do to help solve the problem. Throughout this thread I see words like feral. If it doesn't reflect the facts, it does reflect the frustration. And it is hard to square what the thinking is behind shooting some jogger at eight in the morning. It just seems to me everybody has to be in on this and if we are to fix policing - and I believe we should - we also need a frank talk about what's going wrong within the moral fabric of those communities - why they value themselves and others so little and what can be done to start turning that around. And I don't say the turn around is the work of those communities alone. I don't mean that. But until we start dealing with the root causes, alienation from a shared sense of society and easy access to guns means more of the same. More death, more violence, more jail, more waste and suffering. I guess part of it always good schools and decent income. But I'd also like to see a study where you sit down with number of young people convicted of pointless violent crime and understand what they're thinking.

I just don't think America is up to solving its own problem. Not for a long time, if at all. Too much American dream mythology.

by Anonymousreply 120June 18, 2021 1:15 PM

R120, what these young people are thinking is that they have nothing to lose.

Also, they know they’ll just get a slap on the wrist because social justice. Which pisses me off.

But I am sympathetic to the feeling of being defeated before you even start.

by Anonymousreply 121June 18, 2021 9:48 PM

R121, That last part if your post is very powerful.

That's most black Americans.

The system is just stacked against them, and when you know you have nothing to lose. You just don't give a fuck because you don't gave a stake in anything. A Republicans make everything so hard to pull yourself up from poverty etc.

by Anonymousreply 122June 18, 2021 10:14 PM

Because yeah,that ONLY applies to black people now R121-122. You think impoverished Appalachian people have some sort of advantage because they are white ? Or hillbillies from West Virginia ? Or 85% of the population ,regardless of color. Yet you dont see them acting like fucking savages,robbing ,killing,raping .

by Anonymousreply 123June 18, 2021 11:54 PM

White kids these days are too lazy to be juvenile delinquent criminals. They're laying on the couch, eating junk food and playing video games.

by Anonymousreply 124June 19, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote] Bottoms, who was on President Joe Biden's shortlist of potential VP picks...

Wow, he dodged a bullet then.

by Anonymousreply 125June 19, 2021 2:35 PM

Stealth racist thread.

by Anonymousreply 126June 19, 2021 2:47 PM

Yep.

by Anonymousreply 127June 20, 2021 12:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!