Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen Turn 35 Today

"I am officially old."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 17, 2022 8:46 AM

OP, I think you were probably old when Marcia Brady had her first period.

by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2021 12:48 AM

They’re only 35? Motherofgod they’ve looked 45 for the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2021 12:49 AM

They look like monkeys.

by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2021 12:59 AM

Thank heaven...

For little girls

They grow up in such a delightful way...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2021 1:02 AM

Aren't they at least 50? 60?

by Anonymousreply 5June 14, 2021 1:09 AM

They each currently weigh five pounds less than they did in OP’s photo.

by Anonymousreply 6June 14, 2021 1:38 AM

Wake me when Urkel applies for Social Security.

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2021 1:44 AM

They were cute in the early 2000s around the time they did those awful teen movies. They were never cute as little kids at all and actually quite creepy and robotic with their line delivery and emotionless eyes. Their parents turned these girls into a merchandise powerhouse. They had direct-to-video movies, multiple TV shows, tons of chapter books, makeup, retail fashion, dolls, CDs, etc all under their name. As soon as they hit age 18, they quit and left it behind. They probably were aware that they were never going to make it in Hollywood because they were absolutely awful actresses. Their parents forced them to be actresses anyway since they were infants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2021 1:45 AM

I wonder if they hate their parents. I always think of Elizabeth as the third Olsen twin as she has the sucking-a-lemon face too, although perhaps not as pronounced.

by Anonymousreply 9June 14, 2021 2:34 AM

I'm surprised Bookmaven hasn't chimed in yet. Or maybe he has.

by Anonymousreply 10June 14, 2021 2:42 AM

They used to call me “uncle Kirk“ whenever I was on the set of my sister’s show.

by Anonymousreply 11June 14, 2021 2:44 AM

They probably cringe so hard at all the crappy shit that was produced starring them and under their brand. But it made them richer than God though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 14, 2021 3:00 AM

You have to respect them for making enough money not to work again and give up the desperate game of acting

by Anonymousreply 13June 14, 2021 3:24 AM

They have a surprisingly interesting rise to the top

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 14, 2021 3:26 AM

I remember all the pervs in the early 2000s talking about when they’d turn 18 and I love how they pretty much just started dressing like bag ladies right away and didn’t really do the skanky thing that was so of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 15June 14, 2021 3:38 AM

Aside from the marriage to an older, ugly French guy and a dead actor in an apartment, they seem pretty normal.

by Anonymousreply 16June 14, 2021 4:04 AM

Which one helped cause Heath Ledger's OD, again?

by Anonymousreply 17June 14, 2021 4:11 AM

Hey R17. Don’t look at me. I was in California at the time.

by Anonymousreply 18June 14, 2021 4:16 AM

Candace Cameron Bure is a religious fundie but she didn't end up a crack hoe like Jodie Sweetin or cokehead anorexics like the Olsens. Candace's drug of choice is Jesus

by Anonymousreply 19June 14, 2021 4:20 AM

I never heard of chapter books before. The things you learn on the DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 20June 14, 2021 4:30 AM

Everyone knows that the first call you make before 911 when encountering a celebrity corpse is Mary Kate Olsen

by Anonymousreply 21June 14, 2021 4:32 AM

Can we still abort them?

by Anonymousreply 22June 14, 2021 4:42 AM

I wonder what they're really worth these days?

People speculate famous people have zillions more bucks than it turns out they have, but in some cases we have no idea just how wealthy some people really are.

by Anonymousreply 23June 14, 2021 4:51 AM

At least they knew better than to participate in the reboot of that stupid show that enabled people to know who they are.

by Anonymousreply 24June 14, 2021 4:54 AM

I'm sure MK and Ashley wasted tons of money on their partying and drugs. They have a very upscale fashion line and they probably get residuals from Full House reruns and the gross product of all their 90s/2000s merchandise must have been in the millions too. Most of their 90s and 2000s kid/teen-themed TV/movies is dated and I don't think they make any money off of that anymore. Apparently, their fashion line is very respected with the elite. But there is the rumor that they are drug lords for the wealthy and Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 25June 14, 2021 4:57 AM

"Gross" is right, R25. There were more diabetics after that show began than before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 14, 2021 7:44 AM

Their little sister becoming a movie star was unexpected

by Anonymousreply 27June 15, 2021 4:47 AM

R27 I didn't even know there was a third sister.

by Anonymousreply 28June 15, 2021 12:16 PM

R9 except Elizabeth Olsen is a actually talented. See Martha Marcy May Marlene for proof. Too bad she's wasting her talent on those Marvel movies.

by Anonymousreply 29June 15, 2021 12:50 PM

R29 the money is too good to turn down. At least she got to do something a little different with WandaVision.

by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2021 1:30 PM

Rap duo. They were totally their parents money-making slaves. I'm glad they're free

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 15, 2021 6:07 PM

Their luxury fashion line The Row is extremely popular with the wealthy due to its high quality, simple aesthetic and exclusivity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 15, 2021 6:19 PM

They have more money than God, but they still look like frog-face gremlins.

by Anonymousreply 33June 15, 2021 6:21 PM

Ah…. Memories!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 15, 2021 6:44 PM

R20 I think chapter books may be a 90s and 2000s thing. Think franchises like Animorphs, Goosebumps, Captain Underpants, Sweet Valley High and Baby-Sitters Club. Every TV show or movie popular with kids and tweens got chapter book adaptations too. The Olsen Twins had a lot of books based on their franchises. These all were popular at Scholastic book fairs and RIF (Reading is Fundamental( days.

by Anonymousreply 35June 16, 2021 1:54 AM

And here’s Nicki Minaj at 38 still looking better than they ever did

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2021 2:07 AM

I loved New York Minute. It's underrated and worth a watch. Two of A Kind was their sitcom that was cancelled way too soon.

Damn, now I miss Natalie Imbruglia's Torn.

by Anonymousreply 37June 16, 2021 2:08 AM

Most of their films were awful but New York Minute had some good comedy and I agree it was underrated. Two of Kind also was entertaining too. They are wooden actresses but they just needed a good director and script to get something out of them. It didn't help that most of their films were way too focused on the "look at how cute and blonde we are" aspect and recycled the same damn plots over and over.

Megan Fox made her film debut as the bitch in "Holiday in The Sun". She was an awful actress even back then and never improved but she was a natural beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 16, 2021 2:13 AM

I wonder if Mary-Kate or Ashley mind someone coming up to them and ask them to say "you got it, dude." Mary-Kate seems like she would unleash her inner Carrie White.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 16, 2021 2:43 AM

Some deranged people were so mad that the Olsen twins didn't return to Fuller House which was stupid in my opinion.

Because, 1) they retired from acting for over a decade, 2) they became extemely wealthy from their multimedia franchise and later fashion line and thus have no reason to return, 3) they never chose to be on the show to begin with because they were cast as babies and happened to grow up on it, and 4) they were working like adults since they were in diapers and grew up in the limelight and probably were burnt out, 5) they probably don't remember the show that much since it ended when they were 8 years old, and 6) they look nothing like they used to and they are fraternal twins also, so how would they be able to share the role of Michelle?

They could have just recast the role of Michelle with any young blonde actress anyway since the character was still so young when the show ended. Nothing would have been lost. And no, Elizabeth wouldn't do it because she's a real Hollywood actress and doesn't need to lower herself like that especially since she wants to avoid being associated with her sisters

by Anonymousreply 40June 16, 2021 2:59 AM

CZJ remains younger than Mary-Kate and Ashley.

by Anonymousreply 41June 16, 2021 3:01 AM

Fiona Apple has that same bug-eyed face with the lemon-sucking mouth. Like Margaret Keane paintings come to life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 16, 2021 3:09 AM

A lot of questions about how they made so much money are answered in the Driven video at R14

by Anonymousreply 43June 16, 2021 4:02 AM

Their perfumes were well reviewed and on Ebay this one is going for a high price.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 16, 2021 4:22 AM

They adore Bob Saget and he visits them whenever he's in NYC. Which is interesting because they cut ties off with virtually everyone else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 16, 2021 5:27 PM

They should be canceled for this BIG SHIRL'S HOUSE OF BLING scene in New York Minute. 🙄

It's still a more racially realistic New York City than FRIENDS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 16, 2021 10:21 PM

I don’t give a shit if they’re rich. They’re ugly.

by Anonymousreply 47June 16, 2021 11:22 PM

The Row men's clothing is so expensive, you have to be able to throw away money to buy it ( even on sale). I used to be enchanted by really expensive clothing and thought that it was actually worth the price based on quality etc. I have figured things out over the years and really after a certain amount, the price is just high because it needs to be high to attract interest, not because it's actually worth it. Do people actually buy it because they like the Olsens?

by Anonymousreply 48June 16, 2021 11:51 PM

Ugly children.

by Anonymousreply 49June 17, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote]Some deranged people were so mad that the Olsen twins didn't return to Fuller House which was stupid in my opinion.

I think it was amusing that anybody even cared. Or that they thought of themselves that highly.

Neither is in Denzel/George Clooney territory. I'm sure a coke binge could have been delayed for a week do a cameo on one episode.

Like Adam Rich refusing to do an Eight is Enough reunion. Okay, and?

by Anonymousreply 50June 17, 2021 1:22 AM

R45 Bob Saget has a daughter who's the twins' age and basically grew up with them and is still friends with them, especially with Ashley. Also Saget is edgy as a comedian and I feel like the Olsens relate more to that than the corny Christian-ness of Candace Cameron Bure & it fits with their cool image more. They've apparently told Bob how much they like Howard Stern too lol.

by Anonymousreply 51June 17, 2021 1:27 AM

They are older now than Bob Saget, John Stamos and Dave Coullier were when Full House started.

by Anonymousreply 52June 17, 2021 2:26 AM

Dave Coulier should have been cast as the father on Full House because those three blonde blue-eyed WASPy looking girls were not believable as Bob Saget's daughters. Maybe Joey secretly was their father from an affair and Danny didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 53June 17, 2021 2:31 AM

I always thought Bob Saget was hot. Uncle Jesse looked rough

by Anonymousreply 54June 17, 2021 3:48 AM

You mean Doom and Gloom and Doomer and Gloomer?

by Anonymousreply 55June 17, 2021 3:50 AM

Megan Fox mentions working with the twins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 25, 2021 4:20 AM

I used to visit marykateandashley.com all the time. they used to have this section called 'hip picks' where they would pick out favorite songs, foods, etc. I remember MK said her favorite drink was coconut water and then i checked the next day and the site was taken down :(

by Anonymousreply 57July 25, 2021 5:06 AM

I guess you have to give them credit for not turning into drug-addled, party whore Hollywood casualties like so many others. They've kept it low-key and respectable their whole adult lives. Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 58July 25, 2021 5:24 AM

Their anorexia grosses me out and frightens me at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 59July 25, 2021 5:25 AM

They could've easily become another Lindsey Lohan or Mischa Barton but they didn't so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 60July 25, 2021 5:26 AM

[Quote] I guess you have to give them credit for not turning into drug-addled, party whore Hollywood casualties like so many others. They've kept it low-key and respectable their whole adult lives.

Umm....

by Anonymousreply 61July 25, 2021 8:42 AM

Do they still do drugs? I wanna party with them!

by Anonymousreply 62July 25, 2021 3:25 PM

r61 that wasn't their fault.

by Anonymousreply 63July 25, 2021 3:30 PM

I bet they both probably very quietly make a shit ton of money.

They're both probably worth at least $500 million each. They had a lot of merchandising in the late 90s early 00s. And you couldn't go anywhere without seeing their stuff in stores. Especially wal mart.

I don't know what their " Row" line does in revenue. But I saw years ago where they had a limited edition of backpacks they were selling for something like $30,000 a peace and the whole thing sold out instantly. So one thing is for sure, they know how to make a ton of money really fast.

I also remember recently, Kim Kardashian said one year at the Met gala the Olsen twins came up to her and said how much the love her scenes of style and how she's not afraid to experiment and mix it up. Kim said something to they effect of, she felt validated and she was flattered that they follow her and what she's doing fashion wise.

I was kinda surprised by that story. I didn't think those sisters would find anything appealing about Kim. She doesn't seem like their cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 64July 25, 2021 11:02 PM

Still nothing?

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 65July 26, 2021 6:10 AM

I think their anorexia was the result of depression and anxiety. They were pretty much thrusted onto the public as infants and they became the breadwinners to their family at such a young age. I imagine it created this unrealistic expectations and perfectionism in their heads. I've read anorexia is often the response to trauma. Fame is traumatic for young children because of all the pressure and unwanted attention it brings. Every move they take is watched by the public. I think their parents regretted what they did and that's why Elizabeth got a normal childhood.

by Anonymousreply 66July 26, 2021 6:15 AM

R66 I'm sure the parents didn't regret the millions of dollars they had access to.

by Anonymousreply 67July 26, 2021 7:03 AM

R63 not saying it was. But calling the maid before the police still comes off as shady. There's nothing squeaky clean about them.

by Anonymousreply 68July 26, 2021 9:08 AM

Resurrecting this thread in the wake of Bob Saget. I'm a year younger than them and they were inescapable between the ending of Full House and their acting retirement. And the people around them were very smart. Unlike most actors, the Olsens had an ownership stake in everything they did after Full House.

From a 2001 NYTimes profile.

[quote]Because Mary-Kate and Ashley are a brand. And not just any brand. For girls between the ages of 4 and 14 they are the brand. Despite the fact that assuming you are not a girl between the ages of 4 and 14 or her parent you may have only the vaguest idea of who Mary-Kate and Ashley even are, they are a brand doing bang-up business with companies including Wal-Mart, Mattel, HarperEntertainment, News Corp, AOL Time Warner and Disney. Their Mattel dolls are outselling all others in the comparable fashion-doll category, except for Barbie. Two of their direct-to-video movies were Nos. 1 and 3 on Billboard's children's video charts for the year 2000.

by Anonymousreply 69January 12, 2022 7:43 PM

[quote]Some people at work have been envious too, according to more than one person close to the Full House cast. Indeed, three of the Olsens’ former costars — John Stamos, Candace Cameron, and Jodie Sweetin — declined to comment for this article. ”There’s a little jealousy,” admits Judy Savage, Sweetin’s agent. ”It’s like, why did they get to have all the success?”

by Anonymousreply 70January 12, 2022 8:01 PM

Good lord, pre plastic surgery those two were little mutts.

They each had their muppet faces rearranged over the years.

by Anonymousreply 71January 12, 2022 9:13 PM

With so many former child actors living tragic lives, the Olsen twins are all "We made enough money to live extravagantly for the rest of lives, let's retire in our twenties and never act again"

by Anonymousreply 72January 12, 2022 10:04 PM

And just like that...

Did anyone get the OP "Sex and the City" reference when Carrie Bradshaw turns thirty-five and leaves a message on Mr. Big's answering machine: "I am officially old"

by Anonymousreply 73January 12, 2022 10:09 PM

R72 They still wish they were on Fuller House!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 12, 2022 10:21 PM

The older they got the more obvious they had no acting talent. Being cute blonde teens could not make their robotic line delivery and over-rehearsed cuteness tolerable. I remember this show very faintly, didn't last long and I can see why. They really had good fashion though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2022 1:21 AM

R71 they were cute before all of the surgery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2022 11:16 AM

Rich skanks.

by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2022 11:36 AM

Compared to Britney, Christina and Destiny's Child they were a safe alternative for young girls. Never sexualized in their shows or movies. Very wholesome and kitschy. Hilary Duff came along and took their niche as a child-friendly tween icon. Their black counterparts are Tia and Tamera Mowry from Sister, Sister. Even had an episode where Mary-Kate and Ashley guest starred on Sister, Sister.

by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2022 6:10 PM

They are liars. They claim they are fraternal twins but they look identical to each other.

Liars.

by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2022 7:02 PM

R78 I'd say Hilary lucked out with timing. They gave it up as her star was rising.

by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2022 7:05 PM

I know they're not identical twins, but I still can't tell them apart. And I've tried.

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2022 7:07 PM

Identical twins can look different. Diet, lifestyle and genetic expressions still can create different looking adults. Cole and Dylan Sprouse and Tia and Tamera Mowry are identical and still look different and even as kids the differences were subtle but there.

Mary-Kate has sharper features with a tomboyish vibe and Ashley had softer features and more feminine. They did look a bit different. As they aged they would not have maintained the role of Michelle any longer because of this.

by Anonymousreply 82January 14, 2022 7:08 PM

Disney really copied that formula from the Olsens it seemed. Lizzie McGuire, That's So Raven, Hannah Montana, Sonny with a Chance and Wizards all seem to be created to market to young teen girls role models who didn't have promiscuous images like mainstream pop stars or actresses did. The right market that was too old for Disney princesses but too young for Britney, Beyonce, Fergie and Ciara.

by Anonymousreply 83January 14, 2022 7:15 PM

Im like 7 years older then them but having seen so many photos of them looking vacant and wasted away I somehow got in my head they were much much older.

by Anonymousreply 84January 14, 2022 7:21 PM

Funny enough, from 1991 article when they were 4/5:

[quote]Yet, they had something. To this day, having now met them and discovered that this mesmerizing quality is theirs and not just a product of good lighting and deft staging, I am not sure what it is they have. The small noses and often introspective looks carry an irresistible vulnerability. The capacity for quick movement and angry stares suggests creativity and passion. [bold]They still have little acting talent, nothing like the poise and polish of Raven-Symone on "The Cosby Show."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 14, 2022 7:28 PM

Raven was and is more talented and as a child it was obvious she had charisma and star power. Disney honestly never really promoted or used her to her full potential. But she made a lot of money. Sad she ended up a bit of a loop but I'm happy she's out and married to a woman.

by Anonymousreply 86January 14, 2022 7:40 PM

What's interesting to me is how no other Hollywood twins have come close to their level. The Mowrys and the Sprouses certainly did well, but at best they're distant seconds. And the Sprouses have had more success apart than together.

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2022 7:44 PM

Baby pictures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2022 7:50 PM

It's clear in the Driven video at R14 that what set them apart from other child actors is the shrewd producer they partnered with early on who created their production company Dualstar

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2022 7:56 PM

It's next year, when they turn 36, that it will be the time for real soul-searching as they realize their lives are over.

by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2022 7:59 PM

I never watched that show. Did the Olson Twins play twins or did they just use one of them at a time?

by Anonymousreply 91January 14, 2022 8:11 PM

R91 They both played Michelle in Full House. The reason behind it was child labor laws. For infant or toddler roles, there is even more limits than for a regular child. So TV shows will opt to hire twins to double the role. They did this on Little House on The Prairie and the Sprouse twins also did these types of roles as babies on Grace Under Fire.

The Olsens never shared roles in their promotional materials, merchandise, feature films, direct-to-video movies or later TV shows. Their parents were smart and realized they could make a profit off of the novelty of them being twins. Usually Mary-Kate was the tomboy and the Ashley the girly girl role.

When they retired and later returned to acting before retirng. They acted in separate projects similar to what Dylan and Cole and Tia and Tamera did.

by Anonymousreply 92January 14, 2022 9:02 PM

[quote] remember all the pervs in the early 2000s talking about when they’d turn 18 and I love how they pretty much just started dressing like bag ladies right away and didn’t really do the skanky thing that was so of the moment.

This is the coolest and most feministic response the Olsens could have made, and I have to respect them for that. Play the fucked-up lechy straight men and frustrate their rancidity.

Back in the early-mid 2000s, the New York shockjock radio programme THE OPIE & ANTHONY SHOW even had a ‘countdown clock’ feature to make sure one of the titular hosts, known paed0ph!le Anthony Cumia, knew the exact day both twins became legal. Absolutely vile.

by Anonymousreply 93January 14, 2022 9:13 PM

Marrying Sarkozy's creepy old son wasn't much of a feminist move.

by Anonymousreply 94January 14, 2022 9:16 PM

You can see the difference in the top half of their faces. Ashley's eyes look rounder and more open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 15, 2022 4:19 AM

They were both at Bob Saget's funeral today

by Anonymousreply 96January 15, 2022 4:24 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 15, 2022 5:09 AM

[Quote] The Mowrys and the Sprouses certainly did well, but at best they're distant seconds. And the Sprouses have had more success apart than together.

The Mowrys have done well for themselves and seem down to earth. The Sprouses are creeps and deserve to be c-list.

[Quote] and I love how they pretty much just started dressing like bag ladies right away and didn’t really do the skanky thing that was so of the moment.

The eating disorder was probably also a big factor.

by Anonymousreply 98January 15, 2022 5:11 AM

Their acting talent...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 15, 2022 11:47 PM

They look like Cousin It in the picture at R97.

I'd post a picture or link, but I'm internet stupid.

by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2022 12:00 AM

If you know how much money you have then you can’t be very rich.

by Anonymousreply 101January 16, 2022 12:47 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 17, 2022 12:37 AM

I used to play their video game on playstation when I was a little kid. I don't remember exactly which one, but I do remember that one of the final stages was cleaning up trash on the beach or something. I loved that game

by Anonymousreply 103January 17, 2022 3:03 AM

Older DLers just see them as the annoying brats on Full House turned drugged out fashion zombies. Millennial DLers remember that window when they were very popular teen idols that were ubiquitous with all the media and merchandise that had in the late 90s until the mid-2000s.

by Anonymousreply 104January 17, 2022 3:20 AM

R103 I liked that game too.

by Anonymousreply 105January 17, 2022 8:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!