Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why won't Lidl open stores in the West???

It's fucking pissing me of !!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2021 10:30 PM

The UK has Lidl.

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2021 11:36 PM

There's one opening in my town. I don't know about Lidl...is it good?

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2021 11:48 PM

Thought it was pronounced Leed-ul. Found out it's rhymes with Little.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2021 11:53 PM

OP, "It's fucking pissing me of !!!!!! "

OF?

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2021 11:55 PM

The Northeast had Aldi a good 15 years before California so you will probably have to wait that long before you see Lidl.

by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2021 11:56 PM

Most of the west doesn't even have Aldi yet, and they've been in the US for decades. Lidl just started here a few years ago. No retailer expands that quickly.

by Anonymousreply 6June 14, 2021 12:16 AM

Isn't that store for poor people like Aldi and Food Lion?

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2021 12:22 AM

R7, it’s a really good store. I wouldn’t ship at Walmart, but I like shopping at Aldi and Lidl.

It’s funny how snobby some Americans are about grocery stores, when they shovel fast food by the pound into their pie holes. Back in the motherland, Germany, rich people shop at Aldi and Lidl all the time.

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2021 12:27 AM

If you’ve never been to Lidl, check out their weekly specials. A lot of time they have imported food from European countries for much less than what you would usually pay in regular grocery stores. Some items I can only get on Amazon, and I love to stock up during their specials.

by Anonymousreply 9June 14, 2021 12:33 AM

[quote] Back in the motherland, Germany, rich people shop at Aldi and Lidl all the time.

How unfortunate for them. But I guess rich is relative.

by Anonymousreply 10June 14, 2021 1:07 AM

The Lidls in Germany and Austria have the best fresh donuts. I hope we get the European kind of Lidls. The America version of Aldi is nothing like the European version- it's more like Big Lots for food.

by Anonymousreply 11June 14, 2021 1:10 AM

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2021 5:51 PM

I know this elder woman who only shops at Lidl now. They opened one near her in Long Island and she loves it. Does all her groceries there now. She gets great items for cheap.

She wonders if NYC will ever get it.

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2021 5:53 PM

yummy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2021 5:55 PM

Lidl Is great, their US stores are beautiful and clean, and they stock a great variety of products from around the world. They also carry, at a good price, many organic items, if that is your thing.

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2021 5:55 PM

R15 the older woman I know who loves it says they have interesting items from Germany. She loves it lol

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2021 5:58 PM

Why wouldn't Lidl want to be on the West coast? More customers are in Ca with a lot of money to spend. There are people in Ca who's hobby is grocery shopping.

by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2021 6:02 PM

Not just Germany but all of Europe and the world. They have a frozen fish and chips they sale when they do their British week, that is much, much better then what you would get from Mrs. Paul’s and others.

R17 I think it is real estate and labour prices. Lidl builds their own custom built stores. They don’t want to do that in the CA market until they are certain it will survive.

by Anonymousreply 18July 17, 2021 6:05 PM

I live in Holland and don't shop at Lidl or Aldi. It attracts a certain kind of costumer that I don't feel comfortable with.

Is it in America the same?

by Anonymousreply 19July 17, 2021 6:11 PM

R19 is full of shit.

Most of my best grocery shopping experiences are in Aldi. I love it.

Worst? Whole Foods and Stop & Shop.

I love Trader Joe’s but feel out of place there

by Anonymousreply 20July 17, 2021 6:13 PM

There’s a Lidl near me. I’ve never been inside, but it looks nice from the outside. ALDI renovated all their stores and they do look a lot nicer inside and out, but not as modern as the Lidls I’ve seen.

by Anonymousreply 21July 17, 2021 6:17 PM

Aldi has $3 wines that are divine

by Anonymousreply 22July 17, 2021 6:19 PM

Two perfect freshly-baked butter croissants for less than a dollar at European Lidls and Aldis.

Yes, they no doubt arrive at the store frozen from some big factory somewhere but so what. They're crisp and delicious.

Are these also sold in the US stores?

by Anonymousreply 23July 17, 2021 6:21 PM

[Quote] I love Trader Joe’s but feel out of place there

Agree, TJ's is a FETISH now. Fraus and Oafs pray at it's doorsteps daily. I live in the city where it all started. It's bizarre! I can't wait to move the fuck out of here.

by Anonymousreply 24July 17, 2021 6:22 PM

R23, yes. One of the reasons why I shop at Lidl is their bakery selection. I don't know where they bake their goods, but they have a great assortment of baked goods, German bread and rolls.

by Anonymousreply 25July 17, 2021 6:23 PM

R25 In Europe, they've got the ovens right there in the store. Good breads, too.

by Anonymousreply 26July 17, 2021 6:28 PM

It is really worth to check LIDL and Aldi special offers. I know a German guy who owns wine yards in Spain, who always leaves Aldi and Lidl with a shopping cart full of wine bottles. Also their own brands are worth a look. Most times those are the same high profile brands but packed for them minus the high costs for marketing and advertising.

by Anonymousreply 27July 17, 2021 6:29 PM

[quote]Why won't Lidl open stores in the West???

They have widl desire to.

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2021 6:30 PM

R24 yes. There are two TJs near me. One is 3 blocks away, the other on Court Street (a 15-20 minute walk from me, or 2-3 bus stop plus small walk) and there are always lines just to get inside of it. The lines are always mostly white women, and men, almost always on the younger side.

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2021 6:32 PM

$3 wine is nasty. Life is too short for bad wine.

My experience is that aldi and lids food have a chemical aftertaste. And the minced/ground meat don't taste right. Their fresh produce don't last long.

I guess if you can't taste the difference between quality and quantity it is the perfect shop for you.

by Anonymousreply 30July 17, 2021 6:32 PM

R27, the majority of the food at Aldi and Lidl is just rebranded stuff. They don't have farms and factories where food is produced exclusively for them. That's why it's so funny when people act all snooty about shopping at Aldi or Lidl. And the type of people who shop there all depends on where you live or which Lidl or Aldi you frequent.

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2021 6:34 PM

R30, what a moronic comment, seriously. Don't buy the $3 wine? Their fresh produce lasts as long as my TJ or WholeFoods produce. I don't eat meat, but even if I did, I wouldn't pretend to be a fucking gourmet because the ground meat doesn't taste right. You're not buying truffles, honey, and I am sure that you stick fast food burgers in your pie hole on a regular basis without complaining about the quality. Good grief!

by Anonymousreply 32July 17, 2021 6:38 PM

R31 It's true there are big factories that produce frozen foods, say, for all the big chains. But they produce them differently according to the specs of each chain.

Just like Foxconn makes Apple phones but also phones for Google, Samsung, Xiaomi etc.

by Anonymousreply 33July 17, 2021 6:50 PM

[Quote] the majority of the food at Aldi and Lidl is just rebranded stuff.

So are TJ's. And?

by Anonymousreply 34July 17, 2021 7:14 PM

r30 = TJ's frau fetish cult member

by Anonymousreply 35July 17, 2021 7:15 PM

Lidl is threatening to open in a town about 1/2 hour away from me that already has an Aldi. The Aldi store is 90% junk food & processed food. I’m not expecting Lidl to be any better.

by Anonymousreply 36July 17, 2021 9:02 PM

Oh…Aldi & Lidl can’t sell alcohol in my state so they don’t even have the option of cheap booze.

by Anonymousreply 37July 17, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote] There are people in Ca who's hobby is grocery shopping.

Very true. You ask someone what they did for the weekend and they will actually say “I went to gelsons”, it’s wild.

by Anonymousreply 38July 17, 2021 9:19 PM

[quote] Lidl builds their own custom built stores.

Lidl is opening in a former Toys R Us a couple of towns away. So no…. not custom built. They’re no doubt getting a huge tax break in the GOP town where they’re opening. The GOP in that town gave Walmart a huge tax break to open in a former Caldor. Walmart then put KMart out of business.

Then Walmart said they were going to leave the town because they wanted to build a super Walmart. The GOP town said…”no, no, no you can’t leave! We let you put Kmart out of business. c’mon guys!”

So Walmart said “Tell you what…give us free land to build super Walmart AND bigger tax breaks and we’ll stay!” GOP said “Of course! We are the party of big business! Of course you can have this!”

So…they closed the former Caldor which had wide aisles, plenty of overhead lighting, plenty of maneuvering room for shopping carts, nice elderly greeters and a security car with 2 guards in it that patrolled the Walmart parking lot during business hours.

Then opened “Super Walmart” in an area directly across from an outlet mall that the GOP built after bulldozing a nature reserve. Super Walmart has no greeters, tiny aisles, less than half the overhead lighting so it’s dark inside (so you can’t see the rat poison stations), no security guards in the store or in the parking lot & it’s overcrowded because poor people who drove 2 hours to go to the outlet mall decide to cross the street and do their Walmart shopping before going home. Super Walmart u$ also now using a shit “nursery” for plants that never, ever, ever puts their shitty plants on sale, even when they’re all dried up from not being watered at all during a 3 day heat wave. Even Lowe’s puts its damaged plants on sale. Not Walmart. And the “nursery” is just a middle man that buys cheap marigolds from somewhere else, marks them up and sells them to Walmart. Every year their plants got worse & worse and more & more expensive.

So I expect Lidl to be a shit store in a shit town serving shit customers, just like Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 39July 17, 2021 9:26 PM

R39 I haven't seen them open in any converted spaces. All the ones near me are fresh built with a wall of almost nothing but windows at the front, the opposite of Aldi's dark and dingy stores, and much cleaner than Walmart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 18, 2021 1:01 AM

[quote] Agree, TJ's is a FETISH now. Fraus and Oafs pray at it's doorsteps daily. I live in the city where it all started. It's bizarre! I can't wait to move the fuck out of here.

Wtf? It’s a grocery store. Who the hell do you think is in the supermarkets? 99% women. Any supermarket or grocery store is at least 90% women. The only difference is that a Trader Joe’s is smaller than a supermarket & has a shitty parking lot. If you feel “out of place” in Trader Joe’s, don’t go to Lidl, Stop N Shop, Aldi, Wegman’s, etc. Same clientele.

I went to a recently opened Lidl which is not newly built, but was instead in a former retail store that was built about 25 years ago. It’s bad looking. Badly lit, bad looking aisles, loads of bins full of crappy sweat pants, cheap pop up laundry baskets. It seemed like a store that’s about to go out of business and is selling off all the inventory from the back of the warehouse. At least they didn’t ask a quarter for the shopping cart like Aldi.

The overhead announcements pronounced it “leedle.” I kept thinking they were saying “legal” and was wondering why they were emphasizing that they weren't breaking the law. “Check out our legal specials.”

by Anonymousreply 41October 16, 2021 12:30 AM

R41 what decade do you live in? Where I shop its half men half women.

by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2021 1:47 AM

I shop in suburbia. It’s rare to see a male in a supermarket. If they are single, they tend to order GrubHub. If married, the wife does the shopping. If you’re in a gay neighborhood, I guess you see more men.

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2021 10:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!