Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Talk About Van Johnson

Have to admit if one liked fresh freckled faced "All American" young men Van Johnston in his day fit that bill. I for one didn't know he was gay until rather recently.

Last years spent living in Sutton Place area of Manhattan (long an area full of well off and adjacent gay men), before going onto an assisted living facility in Nyack where he died.

Have heard stories Van Johnson in later years was one of those stately old queens of CA or NY. Always nicely dressed but giving off a vibe from a different era, sort of like your grandfather.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238October 26, 2021 12:15 PM

Johnson and Kathryn Grayson were doing a "tour" of LOVE LETTERS at a theatre where I was directing the show that followed them in. So we were in rehearsal while they were in performance and management had to pay his dressers extra to keep them from quitting. Mr. J was a very "handsy" star.

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2021 3:36 AM

Van Johnson was charming, and funny on Letterman in the 1980s, when he was promoting "La Cage" on Broadway. Bonus: a funny piano bit by a cute, late-twenties Chris "Roland Schitt" Elliott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2021 4:02 AM

As one of many gay men on the down low during Hollywood's studio system days, one wonders if Van Johnson ever tricked with any of others like Roddy McDowell, Rock Hudson, etc....

IIRC Van Johnson was great pals with Lucille Ball. He certainly was talented, maybe not Oscar award winning level, but could hold his own I should say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2021 4:19 AM

Last Time I Saw Paris was probably first film starring Van Johnson ever saw. Was a PBS late night broadcast and was up ill with flu.

His character was a dick, but Van Johnson was very attractive and charming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2021 4:22 AM

Johnson has been the subject of or appeared in a number of DL threads over the years. (Old Hollywood talk is a DL staple, and occasionally we get some great insights.)

The story of Van Johnson, Keenan Wynn, and their "shared wife" Evie alone is worth a Google search, if you're curious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2021 4:29 AM

Speaking of threesomes, the weirdest one allegedly involved Johnson, Keenan Wynn, and a young Peter Lawford while all 3 were at MGM. I wonder who did what to whom.

by Anonymousreply 6June 13, 2021 4:31 AM

R5

Thanks for the tip. Did search for Van Johnson on DL before starting thread, but nothing came up. Then again should have known the search function on this site isn't what it ought to be.

by Anonymousreply 7June 13, 2021 4:34 AM

R6 Keenan Wynn and Peter Lawford were gay? Explain please.

by Anonymousreply 8June 13, 2021 4:43 AM

r6 - A little soft shoe, a bit of shuffle ball change, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2021 4:46 AM

Had a pretty nice body when he was young

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2021 4:46 AM

Only knowing Keenan Wynn from later years (film and television) was surprised to find he was a very attractive young man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2021 4:47 AM

"Shuffle ball change...."

Now those are three words you don't hear often nowadays. Well outside of dance classes.

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2021 4:49 AM

In his final years, Van had lost his hearing.

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2021 5:01 AM

There was a great old DL thread called "Van Johnson: Golden Age Queen," but it was from around 2005 or 2006 and it's not in the archives.

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2021 5:16 AM

Found it!

Have been schooled, never bother with DL searches. If you want to find archived threads use Google or any decent search engine. They sniff out and archive everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 13, 2021 5:18 AM

As another poster already mentioned, there's a fuck ton of threads on or mentioning Van Johnson. Shame DL search engine no longer returns results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 13, 2021 5:21 AM

Van Johnson turned down the role of Harold Hill in "The Music Man" as it was prepared to be produced on Broadway, as did Eddie Albert among others.

After Robert Preston triumphed in the role on Broadway, Van saw the light and played Harold Hill in the West End in London when it opened there. I believe Eddie Albert did the U.S. national tour.

by Anonymousreply 17June 13, 2021 7:24 AM

Let's talk about Billy Van instead!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 13, 2021 7:37 AM

He was very cheesy looking and cheesy acting, I loathed him.

by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2021 8:02 AM

A Lucy classic...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2021 3:56 PM

Van Johnson, Peter Lawford, Robert Walker, and Tom Drake rose up the ranks at MGM because all its established male stars went off to war. These new leading men were all kind of bland and lacked sexual allure, but I guess American audiences needed sweet and wholesome during those troubling times.

I've mentioned this in past threads, but I've encountered him a couple of times during his elder years and he had this prissy, haughty air about him. His manner of speech was affected old Hollywood, he wore ascots and what appeared to be bronzer or makeup on his face.

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2021 4:37 PM

I highly recommend a book that's called, I think, "Van Johnson's Family Album." A scrapbook lovingly put together by his wife. When you see photos of swell parties at their house, with Van whooping it tip with Noel Coward, Clifton Webb, and other pals, all sitting on the sofa, with his wife in the background somewhere....well, you just have to WONDER. Or not.

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2021 5:40 PM

He did a movie called The Bottom of the Bottle that's pretty good - he's playing a drunken bum and a criminal so it's an atypical role for him. He also has a shirtless scene and looks pretty damn good considering he was 40-ish at the time

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2021 6:07 PM

Johnson will be better remembered than many of his superstar contemporaries because of ILL. Both he and Lucy were so charming and sophisticated that it transcended the slapstick genre of the show.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2021 6:23 PM

Van Johnson was NOT gay! And I'm the dame who proved it!

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2021 6:30 PM

He and Judy Garland are so perfectly paired in "In the Good Old Summertime" it's too bad they only did one film together. They both are better than usual in it.

This is a very well acted scene, my favorite in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2021 6:38 PM

I recently read a book on Johnson (MGM’s Golden Boy by Ronald Davis) and it was fairly well researched and published by a university press, so it wasn’t the usual slapdash, copy and paste bio. The consensus is that Van was gay but deeply closeted and was not willing to risk that and lose his stature at MGM. There were a lot of stories about him at 14 and 15 in Rhode Island hooking up with sailors.

In the early 1960s, after he had transitioned from movies to musical theatre, he began to have more gay relationships. When he opened the original West End production of The Music Man he began a relationship with a featured chorus boy, Ben Stevenson. This was the relationship that really ended his marriage to his wife, Eve. The affair was fleeting but Stevenson (that's a photo of Ben Stevenson) went on to have a very long and prestigious career in ballet: he was the longtime Artistic Director of the Houston Ballet and was very chummy with the Bush family.

Johnson had what seemed like a lonely, miserly life in NYC (Sutton Place) and then Nyack, antagonizing his step-children and daughter frequently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2021 7:01 PM

^ The Bushes were pals with Van Johnson's boytoy? Strange bedfellows indeed

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2021 7:08 PM

I had a friend who said she liked Johnson until she saw him on some talk show and he was SO full of himself, that she decided she didn't like him after all.

by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2021 7:19 PM

He had an affair with Tom "The Boy Next Door" Drake during their MGM days

by Anonymousreply 30June 14, 2021 12:06 AM

Damn, that is some serious gayface on Ben Stevenson.

by Anonymousreply 31June 14, 2021 3:24 AM

Just off the plane to LA 1985. Visiting my soon to be ex in Santa Monica. He was living with an older gentlemen he called "Uncle" Bill. I was so naïve I really thought the guy was his uncle. "Uncle" takes us for dinner at a restaurant called the Golden Bull. Place is all red leather booths and 20 oz steaks and dry martinis. We are the youngest guys there by 25 years.. We are seated at a booth right in front. Hadn't even gotten the menus when a martini is placed in front of me. I tell the waiter " I didn't order this". He smirks and replys "From the gentleman." Points to some old geezer with day glow orange hair wearing a blue blazer , white pants and a paisley cravat. I respond by getting up with the drink walking back to cravat's table putting the glass down and quite sincerely saying 'Thanks but I don't like gin". Back at the table "Uncle" is rolling with laughter. Informs me "That's Van Johnson!" Me: "Who?"

by Anonymousreply 32June 14, 2021 4:06 AM

There was an incident years ago between Van and an underage boy in a YMCA that the MGM lawyers hushed up.

by Anonymousreply 33June 14, 2021 4:37 AM

I thought they also hushed up a cruising arrest where he was busted with a sailor

by Anonymousreply 34June 14, 2021 4:48 AM

I think R34's arrest is the one Arthur Laurents was alluding to in his bio (as a blind item). He says the arrest resulted in Johnson being forced to marry a woman: in actuality, Johnson married Eve, the wife of his best friend (ahem) Keenan Wynn, which was a bit of a scandal even without the gay angle.

by Anonymousreply 35June 14, 2021 5:17 AM

R16, that's not THE 'Van Johnson, Golden Age Queen' thread. The actual one was 500+ posts long, and FULL of dishy, dishy gossip and hilarious stories of encounters and working with the red-socked flamer.

by Anonymousreply 36June 14, 2021 5:19 AM

Spencer Tracey was obsessed with Van Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 37June 14, 2021 5:23 AM

R37, So was Spencer Tracy.

by Anonymousreply 38June 14, 2021 5:27 AM

R32

Get her, she found her pride, heaven knows where she got if from .....

Bitch a free drink is a free drink. Day a fine young thing goes into an establishment and no free drinks are forthcoming, then you might as well be dead. That's a sure sign you've peaked and are over.

by Anonymousreply 39June 14, 2021 5:37 AM

The answer to these questions about Van Johnson is answered in his own words with painful certainty in his unredacted FBI file. It was posted some years ago but has since vanished from the web. Hoover's boys as we know were unrelenting on this issue.

by Anonymousreply 40June 14, 2021 5:53 AM

R39 Hon you should hear my Cesar Romero story.

by Anonymousreply 41June 14, 2021 5:56 AM

or Van's johnson, R47.

by Anonymousreply 42June 14, 2021 6:09 AM

^R37

by Anonymousreply 43June 14, 2021 6:10 AM

R35

"“In January 1947 Evie and Wynn were finally divorced, and the following day she and Johnson were wed. Although rumours quickly circulated that the MGM chief Louis B. Mayer had ordered the union to cover up potential scandal, the truth is cloudy. The writer Arthur Laurents states in his memoirs, ‘A sunny male star caught performing in public urinals once too often was ordered by his studio to get married. His best friends, a young comedian and his wife, divorced so that he could marry the wife.’"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 14, 2021 10:04 AM

@ R27 from same link above....

'“In 1960 Evie sued Johnson for divorce, citing cruelty and his causing ‘grievous mental suffering’, and a few weeks later she sued Wynn for ‘fraud and breach of contract’ in their property settlement and for failing to pay child support. She was briefly reconciled with Johnson and travelled with him to London in 1961 when he starred on stage in The Music Man, but the couple finally parted when Johnson began an affair with a member of the show’s cast. Ned Wynn writes that his mother told him that Johnson had left her ‘for a man – a boy, really. He’s the lead boy dancer.'” Their eventual, acrimonious divorce (Johnson called it ‘the ugliest divorce in Hollywood history’) was made final in 1968.”"

by Anonymousreply 45June 14, 2021 10:05 AM

[quote]Ned Wynn writes that his mother told him that Johnson had left her ‘for a man – a boy, really. He’s the lead boy dancer.'”

This is from "We Will Always Live in Beverly Hills" by Ned Wynn. The book is pretty good but mostly about Ned (who cares) and his life as a Hollywood brat who has no motivation or drive and falls into drugs and transcendental meditation (or trance and dental medication). The book is not available as an ebook so I ordered it. I thought there'd be more dirt on the relationship between Keenan and Van but Ned really only talks about how their lives changed and then mentions the above very brief revelation about Ben Stevenson (who is not named). Evie Wynn/Johnson eventually became Van's agent and fucked his career up big time by making outrageous demands.

by Anonymousreply 46June 14, 2021 11:46 AM

Lucy and Desi wanted Van for Desilu's new series "The Untouchables" and Evie acting as Van's agent tried to negotiate a better deal for him. They hired Robert Stack, the series took off, and Stack made a bundle.

by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2021 11:55 AM

R32 I never decline a libation offered by a gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 48June 14, 2021 12:09 PM

"Seeming to work in alphabetical order, Desi pivoted next to actor Van Johnson. Van Johnson’s wife and manager knew the clock was ticking and insisted he be paid $10,000 for the pleasure, but Desi, sourced by the extortion attempt, passed. Desi briefly considered playing the role himself."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 14, 2021 12:09 PM

The book "The Lion of Hollywood: The Life and Legend of Louis B. Mayer" begins with the story about how he manipulated the marriage of Van Johnson and Evie. Just like Universal did with Rock Hudson, according to Evie. She said she was in love with Van, and Mayer promised to keep Kennan working so that he could afford to pay child support. Evie claimed she was in love with Van, and had no idea he was gay. If she didn't marry him, then Keenan would be out of a job, basically.

Keenan was always working, and would send Evie to parties and premieres with Van. He thought Van was safe around Evie, lol.

by Anonymousreply 50June 14, 2021 12:13 PM

The studio was apparently so spooked by the incident with a boy that they had Van Johnson marry his best friend's wife so he would look like a total pussyhound who broke up marriages. Evie spilled the beans about the whole marriage before she died but apparently had burned so many bridges that no one would verify her story. These days though it seems to be accepted fact that the studio strong-armed the Wynns into getting divorced so Evie could marry Van, though like r50 says, another version of the story is that Evie wanted to trade up to a more famous husband (or maybe even really did love Van) and went along with the bearding.

by Anonymousreply 51June 14, 2021 12:16 PM

I'm just confused about the state of the Keenan Wynn marriage. Was it already floundering before LB Mayer interfered in it? Were there stories of Keenan fooling around with men other than Van?

I met Van way back in 1970 when I was an apprentice at a summer stock theater. He would chat me up backstage and was very sweet, not sexually threatening at all. But I was a cute young 20 year old (who looked like a teenager) and probably of no serious interest to him. I remember he always wore red socks, even in the middle of the summer.

by Anonymousreply 52June 14, 2021 12:35 PM

Worked w him once. I was 25. He was well into his 70s. He was a pro. Reliable but that’s about it. Bitter. Brittle. Angry. Caustic. Miserable backstage. Snippy with me & my boyfriend. Self loathing homo homophobe. A cautionary tale for anyone scared to come out. I hope he eventually found peace.

by Anonymousreply 53June 14, 2021 12:37 PM

I think we have to be more tolerant of men like Van who rose to stardom in a world where they had no choice but to be closeted.

It's remarkable to me that there are still gay actors who feel compelled to remain closeted in this day and age. Young British actors like Jonathan Bailey, Russell Tovey and Andrew Scott, to name just a few, really are role models.

by Anonymousreply 54June 14, 2021 12:44 PM

Saw him once on the East Side, walking by the Starbucks I was sitting in (Starbucks was the new thing back then). Didn't recognize him, but an older friend did.

by Anonymousreply 55June 14, 2021 12:46 PM

R53

Here we go again....

There was no question of Van Johnson ever "coming out". Furthermore you cannot compare life of a man born just after turn of last century to one born say even in 1950 or 1960.

Like Tom Tryon and many other gay actors in Hollywood back then and some would say even today coming out is just not an option.

More to the point under old studio system if Van Johnson came out is career would have been effectively over. MGM would have dropped him, and it would be highly unlikely any other major studio would pick him up.

Yes, gays like Arthur Laurents did come out saying "fuck the consequences", but there were consequences and repercussions. Maybe not huge by some people's standards, but never the less...

by Anonymousreply 56June 14, 2021 12:54 PM

Am betting many of you all would be bitter as will if forced to remain in that closet. Van Johnson couldn't (or didn't far as one knows) even have that outlet of private gay parties like Rock Hudson, Roddy, and others. Nor like Anthony Perkins a queer ménage à trois living arrangement with a two gays and one female acting as beard.

By time Van Johnson began to remotely feel comfortable about that side of his life, he was already >50.

by Anonymousreply 57June 14, 2021 1:10 PM

Just about everyone who worked at MGM in the 40s and 50s spoke about it being an extraordinary gilded cage. The actors were well paid and coddled by the studio, they lived in luxurious surroundings and received all the trappings of fame, but they were expected to follow a strict code of conduct, and being gay was absolutely a career killer. When you are carrying a secret that, had it become public, would destroy all of that life in an instant, you become obsessive about hiding it. Johnson was not alone - Rock Hudson, Cesar Romero, Ramon Novarrro, Tab Hunter, and many others all played the game.

Johnson was a popular actor, perhaps a bigger star than his talents would warrant. So in his case, the loss of his cover would have been devastating. Indeed, he spent most of his post-Hollywood career coasting on his star image in dinner theater and stock.

He lived in New York in a penthouse at 405 East 54th Street, an elegant apartment building that was known for having many gay tenants -- it was jokingly called "4 out of 5." That alone was almost a coming out statement in those times, but it was about as far as Johnson would go. I don't know that he had any long-term relationship with a man.

by Anonymousreply 58June 14, 2021 1:42 PM

I'll always remember an episode of Fantasy Island where Van Johnson plays a diplomat who finds out he has a love child played by none other than Charo! In one scene, she sings Chiquitita to him and he tries to look impressed, but you can see behind his look is one of knowing his career is officially dead having to play such a scene.

by Anonymousreply 59June 14, 2021 1:56 PM

I saw him recently in a Love Boat episode playing the husband to a blind June Allyson, who refuses to accept her blindness! He is really over-the-top fake.

by Anonymousreply 60June 14, 2021 2:03 PM

R56 Agree. I also think WSS and Gypsy gave Laurents oodles of "fuck you" money.

by Anonymousreply 61June 14, 2021 3:41 PM

Laurents wasn't in front of the camera. His stakes weren't as high.

by Anonymousreply 62June 14, 2021 3:44 PM

[quote]blind June Allyson

Didn't that make it difficult to change her bladder pads?

by Anonymousreply 63June 14, 2021 4:07 PM

American women never dreamt of dating, marrying, and/or fucking Arthur Laurents.

by Anonymousreply 64June 14, 2021 4:08 PM

[quote] There were a lot of stories about him at 14 and 15 in Rhode Island hooking up with sailors.

Such a charmed youth he had!

by Anonymousreply 65June 14, 2021 4:24 PM

R41, let's hear the Cesar Romero story!!!

by Anonymousreply 66June 14, 2021 6:10 PM

What's this about his FBI file?

by Anonymousreply 67June 14, 2021 6:22 PM

It was hotter than the file on Thelma Jordan, r67!

by Anonymousreply 68June 14, 2021 6:26 PM

R49 Thanks for the very interesting link about how Van was considered for the Eliot Ness role. I have an even greater appreciation of what Desi Arnaz did for Desilu than I did previously.

by Anonymousreply 69June 14, 2021 8:07 PM

The first time I saw him in a movie I wanted to fuck him so bad.

by Anonymousreply 70June 14, 2021 8:14 PM

Who were the two men Tony Perkins was living with along with his wife?

by Anonymousreply 71June 14, 2021 8:43 PM

r27 Here's a recent pic of Stevenson.

Life's a bitch sometimes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 14, 2021 8:58 PM

^ The sweet bird of youth has definitely flown away, but at least he has an impressive resume

by Anonymousreply 73June 14, 2021 9:07 PM

R56 - I empathized then. I empathize now. However I reserve to have opinions about someone who I met and proved to be a bit of an ass to me and someone I loved.

by Anonymousreply 74June 14, 2021 9:07 PM

R71

Tony Perkins, Grover Dale and Helen Merrill all lived together in a New York City townhouse. First two were lovers, third acted as "mistress" of the house as sort of beard.

We've discussed this before on DL. Please keep up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 14, 2021 9:21 PM

WEHT Van's daughter?

by Anonymousreply 76June 14, 2021 10:34 PM

Improper form, r76...

by Anonymousreply 77June 14, 2021 10:50 PM

R67 At the onset of WWII, when he was a nobody actor, he avoided the draft by checking the "I'm gay" box.

As he soon became a well-known actor he started to worry this could affect his career, and when he suffered serious injury in an accident he asked whether he could switch the basis of his military exemption to the aftermath of the accident.

The FBI got wind of this and started an intensive investigation to determine whether he lied in initially checking that box. The FBI file contains a long and intensely personal interview in which he successfully convinces the agents it was no lie.

J Edgar must have really gotten off reading that file and knowing the sort of control it gave him.

by Anonymousreply 78June 14, 2021 11:15 PM

Didn't J. Edna also spy on Rock Hudson? That queen had a lot to answer for

by Anonymousreply 79June 14, 2021 11:17 PM

Francis Xavier Aloysius James Jeremiah Keenan Wynn

by Anonymousreply 80June 14, 2021 11:29 PM

Is there any verificatia of Van Johnson's johnson being size meat?

by Anonymousreply 81June 14, 2021 11:32 PM

someone should do a version of rock hudson's home movies on van and his love scenes with actresses.

by Anonymousreply 82June 14, 2021 11:36 PM

^ That sounds awesome. Who would play Van?

by Anonymousreply 83June 14, 2021 11:39 PM

R83, NPH

by Anonymousreply 84June 14, 2021 11:40 PM

Confidential did an expose on his gay life...he was kind of commenting on it by doing the movie Slander

by Anonymousreply 85June 15, 2021 1:49 AM

Schuyler Johnson is still with us (aged 73), but you don't hear much about or from her these days.

She's discussed in this old DL thread on Van Johnson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 15, 2021 2:03 AM

[quote] Always nicely dressed but giving off a vibe from a different era, sort of like your grandfather.

As we will all do should we live as long.

by Anonymousreply 87June 15, 2021 2:03 AM

The 𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 15, 2021 2:05 AM

r86, that has some interesting dish:

Miss Van used to hang out the Golden Bull resturant next to SS Friendship ( the oldest gay bar in LA.) He used to get completely shit faced . Clutch desperately at the cute waiters, slober on about how he sucked off Clark Gable. He always wore a blue blazer and a cravet. He had florescent day glow orange hair that would put Lucy to shame.He'd get fallin down drunk and we'd wind up calling him a cab and one of us would follow him up to Bel Aire in diving his Caddy. Good tipper but a rather sad ole queen.Some of the waiters laid on their backs for 5 minutes until he passed out. It was an easy Grant. Oh well . May Miss Van RIP.

by Anonymousreply 89June 15, 2021 2:38 AM

On "I've Got a Secret" (I'll say!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 15, 2021 2:48 AM

^ They have to guess what Van is going to do later. Shockingly, no one guessed "Suck off a waiter"

by Anonymousreply 91June 15, 2021 2:50 AM

What's My Line?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 15, 2021 2:55 AM

Wow, it's so sad that actors couldn't be who they really were back then!

I'm glad things are so much better today!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to make passionate love to my hot girlfriend

by Anonymousreply 93June 15, 2021 2:57 AM

I don't mean to be Dora Dumbfuck, but is "Schuyler" pronounced "SKY-ler", or "Shoo-ler"?

It's a dopey name, mo.

Also this photo I found looks like the worst double date in history! Is there enough booze to make this a fun night out?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 15, 2021 3:15 AM

R94 Mia Farrow and Andre Previn in the photo may have been married or dating at the time. Other than that, it’s not clear to me who was with whom. It’s certainly an odd combination of people.

by Anonymousreply 95June 15, 2021 4:39 AM

So Van Johnson, Mia Farrow, Joan Crawford, and Roman Polanski walk into a bar....

by Anonymousreply 96June 15, 2021 4:45 AM

The story behind that photo at R94:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 15, 2021 4:50 AM

R96 Oops, I mistook Roman Polanski for Andre Previn because Mia Farrow is in the photo. I did think the man seemed short for Previn, but I had no idea what Polanski looked like.

by Anonymousreply 98June 15, 2021 9:02 AM

Golden Bull in Santa Monica is still going strong....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 15, 2021 9:12 AM

S.S. Friendship closed, but reopened as Shore Bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 15, 2021 9:15 AM

Santa Monica Canyon is a beautiful place that long has been welcoming to gays. Not surprised Van Johnson would find his way down there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 15, 2021 9:18 AM

R84 NPH is no where near butch enough to play a young or even middle aged Van Johnson

Shame is then wife along with agent screwed Van Johnson out of doing Elliot Ness. Watch the "Untouchables" on MeTv and think VJ would have been excellent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 15, 2021 9:53 AM

R27

More than you know, and Ben Stevenson wasn't the only victim by far.

Simon Gallaher went from this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 15, 2021 9:57 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 15, 2021 9:58 AM

There are now and have been for ages elder gays just like Van Johnson at certain watering holes such as Townhouse.

You really cannot be too hard on these stately old queens. One must remember these gays came up in our father's , grandfather's or even great grandfather's time when world was just a different place.

Aside from being gay many of these men had all sorts of issues. Van Johnson's mother left home when he was three (she had a drinking problem, and sounds like his father threw her out or something). Van never forgave his mother for leaving, worse he was left with a father that while did love him in his own way, just wasn't the warm and cuddly sort. Van Johnson's father wanted his son to become a violinist. Van spent hours alone practicing something he really didn't like.

When you look at that childhood it's no wonder (if true) young Van was out cruising sailors for tricks at 16 or 17.....

As another poster stated end of studio system/golden age of Hollywood hit actors and actresses who came up in that scheme hard. They went from being steadily employed (under contract) to basically having to fend for themselves. There was just no way Van Johnson was going to come out then for a host of reasons.

by Anonymousreply 105June 15, 2021 1:01 PM

Van Johnson was my mother’s Hollywood heartthrob. In 1987 I took my parents to NYC for their wedding anniversary. Got tickets to La Cage Aux Folles (which I had seen with the original cast), Van Johnson was playing the George role. My mother carried her teenage scrapbooks with movie fan clippings about VJ with her. Her plot was to get him to sign the scrapbooks. After checking with the box office, I gave the scrapbooks to the door guard at the stage entrance, asked they be given to Mr. Johnson, and said I would come back after the performance. After the show, we went to the stage door; the guard asked if my mother would like to meet VJ. He let us backstage, and we witnessed VJ bitching out the orchestra conductor for upping tempo on his solo number (Song on the Sand). I came forward to introduce myself to VJ, he got this huge smile on his face, and I then introduced my parents. He loved the scrapbooks, gave my mother a huge hug and kiss. My mother was blown away. There was an incredibly hunky guy (his driver) and we talked about how VJ looked in the 40s and 50s. Van Johnson was dressed in a seersucker suit (this was August), but had his full face of stage makeup on, even though he was out of his wardrobe and ready to go on the street. He wrote a nice personal note to my mother in her scrapbook (in red ink of course). I was so glad I arranged this for my mother. I thought he was a real gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 106June 15, 2021 1:37 PM

Most of those old Hollywood stars treated fans very well -- a chat, a nice word, a photo op. The studios trained them to treat the audience with respect. Contrast that today with the spoiled, entitled brats who scowl and scream "MAKE HER STOP LOOKING AT ME IN PUBLIC!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 107June 15, 2021 1:53 PM

That was a fun read r97, thanks! I'd never heard that before.

by Anonymousreply 108June 15, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote] He lived in New York in a penthouse at 405 East 54th Street, an elegant apartment building that was known for having many gay tenants -- it was jokingly called "4 out of 5."

I read that somewhere and thought it was hilarious. Where did you read it? I can't find the source (someone's memoir?).

VJ was that odd holdover from the Golden Years of Hollywood for whom there was no right place by the time summer stock, nightclubs, and cabaret acts were no longer in vogue except for certain pockets that managed to survive. Where was one to go except for television, and in the most dreadful period of television imaginable -- the 1970s and 80s? So many of the shows were crap but were built around names and former stars who could no longer carry a movie. He did say, rather sardonically, that all his peers owed a great debt to "Angie" for keeping so many of them active by having them perform on "Murder, She Wrote."

by Anonymousreply 109June 15, 2021 3:05 PM

R107

What a great story, and you're a great son!

Whatever else people may say about Van Johnson, he exuded that old Hollywood studio system charm towards his fans. He never forgot that old nugget of wisdom of theater and later film people that it is the pubic who put you (the actor) where you are. If they stop attending your performances you're done.

His escapades in cruising young men not withstanding don't think have ever read or heard of Van Johnson being rude or unkind to a fan. By all accounts Van Johnson was great in La Cage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 15, 2021 3:11 PM

VJ did television adverts, that should have brought in a few pennies...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 15, 2021 3:19 PM

Ann Miller, Cyd Charisse, Kathryn Grayson, and Van Johnson discuss their days at MGM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 15, 2021 3:22 PM

Speaking of "4 out of 5", here is 4 of 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 15, 2021 3:25 PM

R109

Didn't write quote you responded to, but can answer your query.

Matt Crowley (wrote play "Boys In The Band..", lived at 405 East 54th street along with many other gays back in the day. He explained "405" became "4 out of 5" because that was the ratio of gay to straight tenants.

That area of mid-town east from Third avenue east to Sutton from about 42nd street north to low 60's was once a huge gay area of Manhattan, this going back to 1950's if not before. There were gay bars, restaurants, clubs, and of course by the 1960's or so the famous stroll for gay hustlers at 53rd street and Third avenue.

Today only bar left is Townhouse, but there is a reason why that place is where it is and remains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 15, 2021 3:35 PM

Further to R 114's post, the area along Third Avenue in the 40s and 50s was home to what was known as the "bird circuit," a string of gay bars with names like The Blue Parrot and The Swan. It was a very oppressive time and the bars were mafia-run. They would often hire women to sit near the window in an attempt to disguise the otherwise all-male clientele. But there was always the treat of a police raid. There is a subway stop at 53rd and Third and the line runs from Queens and goes down through Chelsea and the Village. So it was a very convenient spot for men to meet. Once the El was demolished in 1955, real estate values skyrocketed in that part of town. The police began patrolling the area aggressively and a series of raids put the bars out of business., and high-rise office buildings went up, essentially destroying the neighborhood feel of the area.

You can still sense a bit of what it was like on the block of 53rd Street between Third and Second Avenues.

So VJ was very much in his element living over there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 15, 2021 4:29 PM

Oh, Dear! "threat," not "treat" - unless you're into cops.

by Anonymousreply 116June 15, 2021 4:31 PM

[quote]Matt Crowley

His name was MART, not Matt.

by Anonymousreply 117June 15, 2021 5:04 PM

Did Van ever do a sitcom pilot? Dan Dailey, who had a similar, though lesser, career, had a one-season show ("The Governor and JJ"); some of his other contemporaries like Bette Davis, Jean Arthur, and Betty Hutton also tried their own shows.

by Anonymousreply 118June 15, 2021 5:06 PM

When I was a kid, Van Johnson came through town in "Showboat" playing Cap'n Andy.

There was a group of us kids in a few of the numbers. I heard the chorus boys talking about how he liked to stand behind them and touch them and whisper stuff in their ears. He would also step on the toes of anyone who got in front of him.....some of the girls cried because he would really put all of his weight on their toes.

"Don't get between me and my audience," he would tell them.

by Anonymousreply 119June 15, 2021 5:28 PM

When he was on location for THE CAINE MUTINY, he kept asking his tall red haired stunt double, Tom Hennesy to come up to his room to fuck him.

Tom tried to be nice but finally had to tell him to fuck off!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 15, 2021 5:32 PM

R118 . . .

The Governor & J.J.

1969 ‧ Sitcom ‧ 2 seasons

by Anonymousreply 121June 15, 2021 5:40 PM

R110, I loved your story about Johnson and your family. W&W. But for the sake of accuracy, Johnson did his Broadway stint in La Cage in 1985. By 1987 the show had closed.

by Anonymousreply 122June 15, 2021 6:31 PM

Van promoting La Cage on Letterman in 1985.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123June 15, 2021 6:45 PM

He certainly seems campy in these interviews. Hiding in plain sight.

by Anonymousreply 124June 15, 2021 7:51 PM

I can't deal with ginger pubes.

by Anonymousreply 125June 15, 2021 7:53 PM

Van Johnson is NOT a queer! He's deeply in love with his wife, Evie!

by Anonymousreply 126June 15, 2021 9:39 PM

I always liked this number he did as a cameo in Til the Clouds Roll By. He commands the camera. His partner might be a better technical dancer than he, but he just registers on screen. The man had star quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 16, 2021 12:51 AM

"The man had star quality."

He's dancing with Bremer, r127, who did not...

by Anonymousreply 128June 16, 2021 12:54 AM

Indeed R128. Til the Clouds roll By was MGMs last attempt to put Bremer over as star material.

by Anonymousreply 129June 16, 2021 1:02 AM

The dame just didn't sparkle.

by Anonymousreply 130June 16, 2021 1:04 AM

Not just MGM, r193, but Arthur Freed, the head of the studio's premiere musical production unit. Bremer was his mistress.

by Anonymousreply 131June 16, 2021 1:06 AM

Quoting Ann Miller: "Lucille Bremer? She was Arthur Freed's pussy."

by Anonymousreply 132June 16, 2021 2:31 AM

Quoting Lucille Bremer: "Ann Miller? She was LB Mayer's pussy."

by Anonymousreply 133June 16, 2021 2:34 AM

R133, Annie was also Conrad Hilton's pussy, after Zsa Zsa.

by Anonymousreply 134June 16, 2021 4:44 AM

Van’s singing in La Cage was so awful the audience chuckled during his songs. I’m amazed Laurent’s didn’t fire him in rehearsal. It also makes one wonder just how bad Robert Stack who did get fired was.

by Anonymousreply 135June 16, 2021 4:54 AM

R135, I never thought much of Gene Barry's singing.

by Anonymousreply 136June 16, 2021 5:09 AM

Barry was John Raitt next to Van.

by Anonymousreply 137June 16, 2021 5:51 AM

Van & Miss Arlene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138June 16, 2021 2:58 PM

Gene fit the bill just fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 16, 2021 3:01 PM

R139, Meh . . .

by Anonymousreply 140June 16, 2021 3:45 PM

Was he the one that bouced all over town in that musical number? Now that was talent!

by Anonymousreply 141June 16, 2021 5:25 PM

That was BOBBY VAN, r141.

by Anonymousreply 142June 16, 2021 5:36 PM

Let's talk about Van's johnson!

by Anonymousreply 143June 16, 2021 5:42 PM

r139 Poor Gene was so embarrassed about playing queer he always stressed his marriage and family in every interview.

He seems gay to me in the reruns of Burke's Law on YouTube, trying to be Cary Grant but not quite pulling it off.

by Anonymousreply 144June 16, 2021 5:42 PM

Any rumor's about how big Van's johnson was?

by Anonymousreply 145June 16, 2021 5:43 PM

I’ll cut Gene some slack because playing a man singing a love song to another man in a big splashy gayer than gay musical took guts. I thought Hearn was overpraised. Keene Curtis was a brilliant Albin.

by Anonymousreply 146June 16, 2021 5:46 PM

Gene was quite good in La Cage. Engaging and charming. Hearn tried hard but in the end he was miscast as a queen. At the time it was still very unusual for a straight actor to take on a gay part. Not unheard of, but still rare. Most were worried people would think they were gay. That's why Barry and Hearn stressed their happy family lives offstage. In the original cast George and Albin never kissed, just hugged.

They had a lot of trouble casting those parts. People they wanted turned them down left and right, esp. closeted gay performers.

Georges was written with Robert Preston in mind. Herman had tailored the songs to his voice. They were almost stunned and more than disappointed when he turned it down, since had openly played gay in V/V. But that's why he declined. After being so successful as Teddy in V/V, he was afraid of getting typecast as the go-to guy for a lovable old gay. It was a legitimate concern back then. In fact though, he loved the show and the part and thought about it long and hard before passing.

And Gene's singing was fine. They felt very lucky to have gotten him after Preston passed.

by Anonymousreply 147June 16, 2021 6:21 PM

R144, Gene was married to Betty Kalb, a childhood friend of Lauren Bacall and they remained close friends throughout their lives.

by Anonymousreply 148June 16, 2021 6:29 PM

R135, Had Robert Stack ever sung a note in public?

by Anonymousreply 149June 16, 2021 6:33 PM

"And Gene's singing was fine. They felt very lucky to have gotten him after Preston passed."

John McMartin would have been excellent.

by Anonymousreply 150June 16, 2021 6:34 PM

Were they known as *the two Bettys*, r148?

by Anonymousreply 151June 16, 2021 6:35 PM

Gene Barry was also still an incredibly handsome man when he appeared in LA CAGE. That helped the "romance" enormously.

More about the aforementioned Dan Dailey, please! Wasn't he rumored to be gay or a closet transvestite?

by Anonymousreply 152June 16, 2021 11:22 PM

John McMartin had a lovely eccentric quality which wouldn’t have worked for George. Keith Michell was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 153June 16, 2021 11:53 PM

I vanced with Dan Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 154June 17, 2021 12:03 AM

Saw a younger Gene Barry on some 1960's television program was watching on MeTV, may have been Alfred Hitchcock. Didn't know who he was until credits, but the voice sounded familiar. Yes, he was a very attractive young man...

Gene Barry and Van Johnson were same age, both having been born in 1919.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 17, 2021 12:06 AM

George Hearn sang his big La Cage number "I Am What I Am" dressed in a tux at that year's Tony awards which was televised.

There was much confusion and noise in certain quarters as to why he didn't perform in drag. Some say it was because he was also going to present that evening. Others claim network wasn't to keen on the idea (these are the same people that squashed Anita Morris doing her Call From the Vatican number because the costume and performance was deemed indecent for television). Still more say the very hetro George Hearn (five wives including Dixie Carter) wasn't to keen on doing drag period and didn't want to be too closely associated with that art or even being gay.

Would have to look it up but don't think George Hearn ever did "Za-Za" in drag unless on stage, period.

by Anonymousreply 156June 17, 2021 12:16 AM

Not good video quality (recorded off a set), but the peak of Gene Barry's career was when he did a musical number with Cheryl Ladd in Charlie's Angels. It was all downhill from there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157June 17, 2021 12:31 AM

Elder gays will remember Gene Barry starring in "Bat Masterson".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158June 17, 2021 12:36 AM

He was nominated and the front runner, r156. It's understandable why he didn't do it in full drag. Barry was quite cute in War of the Worlds...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 17, 2021 1:07 AM

Elder gays will also fondly remember Gene Barry from Burke's Law, in which he played a playboy millionaire private eye and the weekly suspects were always an exciting array of Hollywood has-beens.

by Anonymousreply 160June 17, 2021 1:22 AM

At the conclusion of the R138’s link to the Arlene Francis interview, Van is interviewed by someone else & is shown a tape of him performing with Jacob, the couple’s butler/maid, played by William Thomas, Jr., who originated the role, a key player in the musical. When asked to identify his co-star, Van could only say his name was Billy, but didn’t know his last name.

by Anonymousreply 161June 17, 2021 1:33 AM

I've worked with a lot of older actors over many decades and I'm impressed that Van even got his first name right, r161.

by Anonymousreply 162June 17, 2021 1:35 AM

Gene Barry , Robert Stack and Tony Franciosa all starred in the revolving series "Name Of The Game". Each week the show focused on one of the, with Susan Saint James being the common link for all three. Though Gene appeared in Burke's Law and Bat Masterson as well, I'll always think of him as the first "guest murderer" in Columbo.

Though Humphrey Bogart, Fred MacMurray and Jose Ferrer all had flashier roles, Van Johnson was actually the main character in "The Caine Mutiny", and did a pretty decent job.

by Anonymousreply 163June 17, 2021 1:49 AM

I always got Gene Barry and Barry Nelson confused

by Anonymousreply 164June 17, 2021 2:03 AM

Bombshell Betty on Burke's Law...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 17, 2021 2:39 AM

Mandy should have won the Tony for Sunday... that year. Hearn was overrated.

by Anonymousreply 166June 17, 2021 3:29 AM

Bombshell Betty, R165? Or just bombed as usual? Bottoms up, Betty, you old bar rag.

(Seriously, she's terrible.)

by Anonymousreply 167June 17, 2021 3:35 AM

[quote]Elder gays will also fondly remember Gene Barry from Burke's Law, in which he played a playboy millionaire private eye and the weekly suspects were always an exciting array of Hollywood has-beens.

It was an early Aaron Spelling show. That Hollywood has-beens formula was successfully transferred to other shows like "Fantasy Island," "The Love Boat," and "Murder, She Wrote."

by Anonymousreply 168June 17, 2021 3:46 AM

Looking back at George Hearn in La Cage, he's really terrible.

He is completely miscast for starters.

by Anonymousreply 169June 17, 2021 4:17 AM

[quote]Van Johnson was actually the main character in "The Caine Mutiny"

I'd forgotten that, R163, He did do well in the role, it's one of my favorite oldie movie.

by Anonymousreply 170June 17, 2021 4:25 AM

In some older movies, "looks like he came from Third Avenue" was code for "he's a sissy" to get by the Hayes office.

by Anonymousreply 171June 17, 2021 4:29 AM

I liked him in The Caine Mutiny, too

by Anonymousreply 172June 17, 2021 4:35 AM

Van Johnson liked watching young boys play piano!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173June 17, 2021 8:47 AM

Better clip.

Van Johnson was certainly good looking then, he must have gotten plenty of action during WWII.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174June 17, 2021 8:53 AM

Though tastes have changed, during WWII and the years that followed, Van and June Allyson were touted by MGM in roles that presented them as the perfect young American couple, the hope of the future, representing the ideals we fought for during the war. Whatever we think about them, they were actually very popular and well-liked by their colleagues in Hollywood.

June's inexplicable popularity is being discussed on another DL thread about the film THE WOMEN (she starred in a 1950s musical remake of the film).

by Anonymousreply 175June 17, 2021 1:13 PM

Van Johnson did in fact do a (failed) sitcom pilot called MAN IN THE MIDDLE. They used to dredge up failed sitcom pilots to fill random summer network TV timeslots. It was absolutely godawful.

by Anonymousreply 176June 17, 2021 2:29 PM

Man in the middle....of a gay orgy

by Anonymousreply 177June 17, 2021 3:17 PM

Van did a lot of stock tours in plays like There’s a Girl in my Soup and Tribute.

by Anonymousreply 178June 18, 2021 12:34 AM

There's a girl in my soup....and a boy in my bed

by Anonymousreply 179June 18, 2021 1:05 AM

R174 I would guess that Van saw more action than the Pacific Fleet!

by Anonymousreply 180June 18, 2021 3:28 PM

Fleet being the operative word, r180.

by Anonymousreply 181June 18, 2021 5:35 PM

Like enema?

by Anonymousreply 182June 18, 2021 7:42 PM

No Rose, as in "...of foot".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183June 18, 2021 7:48 PM

I wonder if ole Van was turned on by the kinky scene in his BATMAN tv show episode as the "minstrel" when he has batman and robin tied up one on top of the other to a barbecue pit as they rotate around and around and their crotches first robin, then batman, then back to robin, then back to batman are plainly shown off as Van's character the minstrel watches then rotate and spin?!...

highly pervy, kinky, homoerotic scene!.... it helped that the "belts" they used to strap in both adam west and burt ward were literally placed right above their crotches ensuring blood flow to their nether regions and making them both bulge!

by Anonymousreply 184June 18, 2021 8:00 PM

How...vivid.

by Anonymousreply 185June 18, 2021 8:07 PM

Van was in a serious car accident in 1943 during the filming of A Guy Named Joe; he had a metal plate put into his head and, despite extensive plastic surgery, had a nasty scar on his face that was hidden with makeup for the rest of his career. MGM wanted to replace him in the film but co-star Spencer Tracy insisted that the movie be put on hold until Johnson had recovered.

For The Caine Mutiny (1954), Johnson decided not to hide his scar as he felt it added to his character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186June 18, 2021 8:22 PM

What's never stated (I wonder why?) is: Irene Dunne, the leading lady of A GUY NAMED JOE also insisted the movie be put on hold until Van recovered. I believe the famous MGM family anniversary photo was taken while this film was being shot....but before Van's accident, with Tracy, Dunne and Johnson all prominently featured..

by Anonymousreply 187June 18, 2021 9:34 PM

This photo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188June 18, 2021 9:42 PM

MGM did a group photo of its stars every year but the famous one is this one from 1943.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189June 18, 2021 9:52 PM

No, r188, the earlier one which I believe was taken in 1943. 2oth Anniversary or maybe the 25th?

It's interesting that Irene Dunne is present in the photo as I believe she was never a contract player but was appearing in a current film.

by Anonymousreply 190June 18, 2021 9:54 PM

Like Marlon Brando, his face always looked like someone took it out of the mold too soon.

by Anonymousreply 191June 18, 2021 9:55 PM

Yes! That's the one, r189, thanks. You can see Spencer Tracy and Van in costume in their aviator jackets and Irene Dunne to our right of Greer Garson.

by Anonymousreply 192June 18, 2021 9:56 PM

I remember seeing him at Casa Manana in Ft. Worth in the 70’s, he was in Brigadoon, reprising his role as Jeff.

by Anonymousreply 193June 18, 2021 10:10 PM

R187

Irene Dunne had nothing to do with putting "A Guy Named Joe" into filming hold while Van Johnson was on injured list. Well not directly anyway.

It was Spencer Tracy who convinced studio to hold up production after Van Johnson was injured in that automobile accident for for months. Furthermore both Tracy and director Victor Fleming agreed to pull in their claws and treat Irene Dunne better than they had previously.

Though Tracy originaly wanted Ms. Dunne in the picture, once shooting began both he and Fleming behaved rather beastly towards her, in many instances reducing Ms. Dunne to tears. This tension was clearly evident in scenes that had been shot before Van Johnson's accident.

With that agreement in place studio used those four months Van Johnson was away to retake certain scenes that previously weren't their best due to the bullying of Ms. Dunne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194June 19, 2021 6:01 AM

R194, Van discusses the Tracy-Dunne issue at 2:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195June 19, 2021 6:41 AM

Thanks for the clip, r195. It perfectly sums up everything about Van we've been discussing.

by Anonymousreply 196June 19, 2021 1:28 PM

Here's the redacted FBI file on Miss Van. Lots of details even with the names redacted. Let's figure out who these lovers were!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197June 19, 2021 3:16 PM

BTW - his 10-page statement is at the end. It's his sexual autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 198June 19, 2021 3:40 PM

That is an incredibly powerful document to read in 2021, r197. How did that get released, even now?

The enormous strength and sadness it took to write those pages on the record comes through for me. We, as contemporary entitled gays, should all read this and see what hell life was like, even for a privileged movie star like Van.

Thanks for posting. I hope everyone here takes the time to read it.

by Anonymousreply 199June 19, 2021 5:46 PM

Did J. Edna Hoover slobber while reading that?

by Anonymousreply 200June 19, 2021 6:39 PM

Yes, that's the file. Sad reading really: to think the Government put someone under that sort of microscope to force that sort of "confession."

Cryptome originally hosted the unexpurgated file but quickly took it down, and Cryptome very rarely takes stuff down.

by Anonymousreply 201June 19, 2021 7:55 PM

That statement is heartbreaking to read.

by Anonymousreply 202June 19, 2021 9:17 PM

Heartbreaking to read that statement (and rest of file for that matter) may be to us, but remember Van Johnson was requesting to be disqualified from military service during war time. Many assume getting out of draft/military service was simple as showing up wearing perfume and acting too twee, and or just saying "I'm a homosexual", and military said fine.. next... There could be and often was more to things that that.

Every eligible American male within age range was expected to serve his country when/if called. A good number of men who wanted to join up but for various reasons were qualified as 4F or something and couldn't, still tried to find a way into some sort of military service.

Against that backdrop Van Johnson and others who said they were gay and wanted an out often got the side eye. It's the old joke of Corporal Clinger of M*A*SH running around in dress desperately trying to get out of military, but it never worked.

Van Johnson couldn't have foretold that automobile accident would occur a few years later after ticking that "gay" box for draft board. From a cursory reading of linked FBI file that is what caused him grief later. Going back after the accident to say it was because of injury he shouldn't serve (and trying to retract the gay thing IIRC), caused a few ears to perk up.

by Anonymousreply 203June 20, 2021 12:48 AM

Well our boy Van was quite the busy beaver during his New York days......and those are just the things he admitted to.....

by Anonymousreply 204June 20, 2021 1:14 AM

No, Van got his 4F for being gay before the war started. It would have looked really bad if it was after. The explanation of all that was from 1945, late in the war, when Van was a big star and afraid that if the reason he was 4F got out, his career would be over.

by Anonymousreply 205June 20, 2021 1:21 AM

Tribute to Van

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206June 23, 2021 2:50 PM

On his youngest, hottest, fittest day - Van Johnson had zero sexual appeal. He always struck me as they guy working behind the fragrance counter for the last 35 years, but portrayed himself as a fashion executive. All fluff and no substance.

by Anonymousreply 207June 23, 2021 3:12 PM

Carleton Varney makes Van Johnson look sexy and butch in that pic. Is there anybody more insufferable with his reminiscences.

by Anonymousreply 208June 23, 2021 3:17 PM

R207, not sure your comparison makes sense. He was a bona-fide A-list star with tons of adoring female fans who certainly thought he had sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 209June 23, 2021 3:19 PM

I saw Van in La Cage back in the day and he was fine. At first glance George Hearn seemed miscast, but seeing his performance live -he's what kept me from walking out on what was otherwise a very mediocre show.

by Anonymousreply 210June 23, 2021 6:02 PM

When La Cage first opened. there was such anticipation that some friends and I got tickets for the last preview, so we could brag about having already seen it. At intermission we all looked at one another and agreed it was weak and tedious, and hoped the second act would be better. It wasn't.

I never understood the adulation for that show.

by Anonymousreply 211June 23, 2021 9:13 PM

It was a gay show for heterosexual audiences.

by Anonymousreply 212June 23, 2021 9:17 PM

I loved the original but no, it isn't deep, profound or thought provoking. it was eminently hummable showtunes, lots of glitzy drag by the divine Theoni Aldridge and some good one liners in both the book and lyrics. My cup of tea that evening.

by Anonymousreply 213June 23, 2021 9:25 PM

R211, It was a Jerry Herman "feel good" musical with some memorable tunes.

by Anonymousreply 214June 23, 2021 10:44 PM

La Cage was a gay love story on Broadway that straights weren't only not bothered by, but loved including many of the gray hairs who come in for matinee performances from the burbs.

HIV/AIDs was revving up at time show opened and would indeed claim many of the dancers and others connected with show. George Hearn tells in interviews how awful things were. Coming in and each day this or that dancer or whoever out due to illness, notices on boards posting who was in what hospital, death notices.....

As for La Cage not being a "great" show, it sure won a fuck ton of awards both OBC and subsequent revivals. It may not have been everyone's cup of tea, but at least La Cage provided something to show gays weren't all evil and deserved to die for "putting their dicks where they didn't belong...."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215June 23, 2021 10:57 PM

I can't remember anything about "La Cage aux Folles", except I watched the French movie with my mother and I remember her laughing and laughing - she adored it!

by Anonymousreply 216June 23, 2021 11:11 PM

R209 - do you actually find him “hot”, in a sexual way? Even in his youth?

by Anonymousreply 217June 26, 2021 11:45 PM

R217, I definitely thought he was hot when he was younger. Not so much when he was 50+ but I definitely would have done 1940s Van

by Anonymousreply 218June 26, 2021 11:55 PM

I was watching an old Rosalind Russell movie on YouTube called 'Never Wave at a WAC' (1953). It was a rather silly thing, a vanity project for Ros, produced by her husband Freddie Brisson. The reason I was watching is because my mother, who was a WAC, told me that she was among the WACS marching in the movie.

Anyhow, there's a party scene in the beginning where Ros is playing the social grand dame in Washington, and Evie Wynn Johnson pops up for a few seconds. Ros asks her where her husband is, and she says he's doing something at the Smithsonian. Evie looked matronly, but then none of the women in that scene were young.

by Anonymousreply 219June 27, 2021 3:39 AM

Evie Wynn Johnson never looked like the kind of woman to set a heterosexual man's heart aflame, much less the kind to come between two heterosexual BFFs dueling for her hand in marriage.

No, she looks like the kind of woman you marry when LB Mayer is literally holding a gun to your head, saying "It's time to get married, you big pansy."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220June 27, 2021 3:45 AM

Yup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221June 27, 2021 3:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222June 27, 2021 3:47 AM

Evie looked like Keenan Wynn in drag

by Anonymousreply 223June 27, 2021 4:04 AM

Let's just say it speaks volumes that Evie wasn't asked to participate in the Don Loper fashion show.

by Anonymousreply 224June 27, 2021 1:02 PM

He was fat in Murder She Wrote

by Anonymousreply 225June 28, 2021 4:56 AM

I was going to fuck him, but my mother always warned me about getting into a strange white van.

by Anonymousreply 226June 28, 2021 12:46 PM

Part of me wanted to see the Grammar Trolls take his statement to task. The last paragraph is especially strange. Was he drunk? He talks about the corrections he had made, and then immediately makes a hand written correction. Kind of sad. Typo City.

by Anonymousreply 227June 28, 2021 3:40 PM

Let's talk about Van, bay-bee, Let's talk about you and me.....

by Anonymousreply 228August 11, 2021 1:12 AM

It's Van's birthday today! He would have been 105

by Anonymousreply 229August 25, 2021 5:50 PM

We can celebrate by watching him play John Alden in PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE or , R229.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230August 26, 2021 11:54 PM

If we're having a Van-a-thon....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231August 27, 2021 4:57 AM

More Van

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 27, 2021 5:03 AM

I always found him to be an appealing, if lightweight, actor. I've enjoyed several movies he was in.

by Anonymousreply 233August 27, 2021 5:11 AM

r233, agree

by Anonymousreply 234August 27, 2021 5:32 AM

I missed that when this thread was first active r197, thanks for posting, that was a fascinating read.

by Anonymousreply 235August 27, 2021 5:39 AM

My Mom was a big movie fan and we were on West 45th St in NYC in the 70's and we ran into him. I was too young to know who he was at the time except for being Henry Fonda's friend in "Your, Mine And Ours" which I saw a bunch of times, but I have to say even as a kid I saw how wonderful he treated my Mother, even hugging her when she told him how much she loved his work. Class act.

by Anonymousreply 236August 27, 2021 5:44 AM

That report was so heavily redacted that it could have been censored by the Hays Office.

by Anonymousreply 237August 27, 2021 12:34 PM

I vanced with Dan

by Anonymousreply 238October 26, 2021 12:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!