Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Misremember the Alamo!

Basically what is usually taught is all lies and those myth loving Texas hardasses are never going to admit anything more then a super heroic antiMexican stance that made them the unsung and tragic heroes of the entire event.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2021 3:20 AM

Noone should be teaching about heroic defenders of the Alamo anymore. I don’t and neither do any recent textbooks.

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2021 11:30 PM

But what about the basement?

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2021 11:32 PM

I swear, if you tell Texans the Alamo story is more of a myth, they act as if you've stepped on their infant. Like you've personally violated everything they hold dear.

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2021 11:38 PM

The stars at night, they shine so bright…

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2021 11:41 PM

I am a fourth generation Anglo Texan and I teach history in Texas. I teach the TRUTH-- that the Texas Revolution was all about slavery, that the Texians treated the Tejanos horribly, and that Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie were sociopathic drunks. In 20 years Anglos will be a minority and the Mexicans will hopefully be able to correct some of the idiotic myths about our state. There's a lot that's good about Texas, but Texas history and the way it was shoved down my throat, is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2021 11:42 PM

And that last comma is a TYPO and not evidence of a retard.

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2021 11:42 PM

The "sanitized" version of the Alamo is yet another example of bullshit, revisionist history brought to you courtesy of the Republican Party in order to make white people feel good about themselves.

Another is the American Civil War was about states' rights ( particularly DL fave and "historian" Newty Gingrich).

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2021 11:48 PM

All I can think of is Pee Wee Herman - sorry, rabid Texans!

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2021 12:12 AM

Let me guess... Trans women of color threw the first brick at the Alamo.

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2021 12:15 AM

bizarrely, Phil Collins owns Alamo artefacts worth millions of dollars - no idea why

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2021 12:15 AM

R10, he's a shitty artist...I"m just gonna assume that's the reason.

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2021 12:19 AM

R9 That should read adobe.

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2021 12:45 AM

Remember Alaimo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2021 12:56 AM

R10 Was it because there was something coming in the air that night?

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2021 1:02 AM

John Sayles' Lone Star goes into this. "Forget The Alamo". God, Chris Cooper was damn sexy.

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2021 2:43 AM

r9 and r10 it's because he has a fervent belief that he is reincarnated from that time (and may be the reincarnation of Jim Bowie).

by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2021 3:04 AM

R15 Lone Star was a great movie but the idea Chris Cooper was ever sexy is absurd. It was also unbelievable in that movie that McConaughey could have fathered somebody who looked like Cooper. More believable that he'd fathered Pena.

by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2021 3:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!