Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is NYC the only US city that offer the urban European lifestyle?

Dense central part, mostly public transport, hardly suburbian.

by Anonymousreply 6306/10/2021

Nothing European about it.

by Anonymousreply 106/10/2021

NYC is probably the US city where you would find the most similarities to a large European city, but I agree with R1 - it's still not very European.

by Anonymousreply 206/10/2021

Miami Beach

by Anonymousreply 306/10/2021

I’ve been told it’s hard to distinguish between One Birmingham and the other.

by Anonymousreply 406/10/2021

Not in the US, but the two most European like cities in North America that I've been to are Montreal and Quebec City.

by Anonymousreply 506/10/2021

The most European city in America is San Francisco. Everyone knows this.

New York is not European at all. OP = moron.

by Anonymousreply 606/10/2021

Merida is the most European in South America.

by Anonymousreply 706/10/2021

"European Lifestyle "Yes, NY is the only city in America that it's a plus not to have a car.

You can survive in Boston, DC, Seattle, SF, Portland and Philly but that's about it. One great thing that happened from the pandemic is outdoor dining on nearly every block, drab sidewalks have become transformed. Citybikes and others are available all over the place. All the subways were steam cleaned multiple times. I was SHOCKED to see the polished, copper bannisters for the first time in my life.

Now that we're through it I can say it was the best year of my whole life in NY. I got to do things, go places I never would have the chance to see. NY is better than ever, now with legal weed.

by Anonymousreply 806/10/2021

Uh, R7? Mexico is in North America.

by Anonymousreply 906/10/2021

Savannah, Ga. is probably the most European like city in the US>

by Anonymousreply 1006/10/2021

R6, are you insufferably smug in person, or just online?

by Anonymousreply 1106/10/2021

Not if you include universal healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 1206/10/2021

Washington DC. The NW quadrant.

by Anonymousreply 1306/10/2021

R9 I know that! I'm so embarrassed...

by Anonymousreply 1406/10/2021

R7, you should be, doll. :)

by Anonymousreply 1506/10/2021

Boston does too.

by Anonymousreply 1606/10/2021

[quote] he most European city in America is San Francisco.

Oh, do Paris, Rome, Zurich and London have hordes of homeless people, too?

by Anonymousreply 1706/10/2021

Las Vegas of course!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1806/10/2021

New Orleans a little bit like Naples (Many Italians settled in run-down apartments in the lower French Quarter, which came to be known as “Little Palermo") or maybe some other southern European cities.

by Anonymousreply 1906/10/2021

Montreal, Quebec City, Mexico City.

by Anonymousreply 2006/10/2021

OP said in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 2106/10/2021

Miami?

by Anonymousreply 2206/10/2021

Washington DC reminded me most of a European city.

by Anonymousreply 2306/10/2021

[quote]The most European city in America is San Francisco. Everyone knows this. New York is not European at all. OP = moron.

Is that you, Diaper Don?! Same M.O.

by Anonymousreply 2406/10/2021

R23, that's because it was purposefully designed after Paris. So it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 2506/10/2021

Boston. Has more Irish than Dublin.

Well, not quite, but still...

by Anonymousreply 2606/10/2021

What about that tacky German town in Washington?

by Anonymousreply 2706/10/2021

Santa Barbara feels European to me.

by Anonymousreply 2806/10/2021

NYC for sure.

The West Village. Parts of the Upper West Side.

by Anonymousreply 2906/10/2021

Indianapolis

by Anonymousreply 3006/10/2021

[quote] Miami?

What parts of Europe does Miami remind you of?

by Anonymousreply 3106/10/2021

San Francisco is the only one that comes to mind

by Anonymousreply 3206/10/2021

Savannah does not have good public transportation, but its beautiful squares are modelled after British (for former British) cities with lovely Georgian squares, like London, Dublin, and Bristol (among many others).

by Anonymousreply 3306/10/2021

Most European cities have avoided skyscrapers - sadly besides London of late.

by Anonymousreply 3406/10/2021

Chicago is another city with density, good urban transportation, no need of a car, and even residential areas change to North-South commercial streets every few blocks, with restaurants, groceries, dry cleaners, bakeries, specialty shops within easy walking distance.

Aesthetically it's not very European, but then neither is NYC nor Boston nor San Francisco except for select blocks here and there.

Americans always say New Orleans is a very European city, but it's a Disney caricature of a European city, or maybe looking up the skirt of a Disney character to see a false limb and some very shabby panties. Despite some great architecture among the carnival atmosphere, it doesn't look very Spanish or French, more Colonial Haitian.

Why San Francisco is considered a European-esque city escapes me. It's hills and views, maybe? The architecture, the street grid, the treeless streets, the building uses...nothing very European.

Charleston is too small but has aesthetics on its side, and the mix of density and age and vegetation. Center City Philadelphia in parts is a bit European in the jumbled mix of building uses and reuses, restaurants, offices, florists, specialty shops, it has a sort of 1950s pedestrian friendly dense jumble that I like.

by Anonymousreply 3506/10/2021

R18 cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 3606/10/2021

Solvang, California

by Anonymousreply 3706/10/2021

R17

I don't know too many American cities that have hoardes of pickpockets either snatching everything not nailed down.

by Anonymousreply 3806/10/2021

R35, for San Francisco, I'm guessing it's the fact that there no real skyscrapers (not by Chicag standards anyways) and it's dominated by mid-level architecture.

by Anonymousreply 3906/10/2021

What about Kansas City, "Paris of the Plains"?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4006/10/2021

R40, those hundres of parking spaces remind me of the River Seine

by Anonymousreply 4106/10/2021

[R35], for San Francisco, I'm guessing it's the fact that there no real skyscrapers (not by Chicag standards anyways)

It feels different now that they've built the Salesforce Tower in 2018 (61 floors) and 181 Fremont in 2017 (56 floors). It used to be that the Transamerica Pyramid was the only really tall building, but now it's changed.

It's still not only the level of Chicago or NYC, but it just doesn;t feel as neighborly with several tall buildings instead of just the one.

by Anonymousreply 4206/10/2021

[Quote]What parts of Europe does Miami remind you of?

Benidorm, Spain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4306/10/2021

[quote] Chicago is another city with density, good urban transportation, no need of a car, and even residential areas change to North-South commercial streets every few blocks, with restaurants, groceries, dry cleaners, bakeries, specialty shops within easy walking distance.

But its very dangerous to be walking around while eating a sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 4406/10/2021

R34 come for beaches, stay for Sticky Vicky!

by Anonymousreply 4506/10/2021

That was for R43 not R34

by Anonymousreply 4606/10/2021

No US city is European-like. The history of this country, especially when it comes to race, has shaped many US cities in how they are built, where roads go, where "downtown" is located and more. I think it's a good thing most US cities aren't more European, it's what makes this country what it is.

by Anonymousreply 4706/10/2021

Houston and San Diego

by Anonymousreply 4806/10/2021

Manhattan seems pretty quintessentially American to me, parts of Brooklyn - Brighton Beach (obviously) and Canarsie, but also Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Bushwick could be somewhere in Russia.

by Anonymousreply 4906/10/2021

Toronto just outside of the downtown - with its mix of Victorian row houses and grim circa 1960s apartment complexes and public buildings feels like it could be a secondary city somewhere in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 5006/10/2021

I'm wondering if the majority of people commenting in this thread have even been to Europe.

by Anonymousreply 5106/10/2021

LMAO. New Yorkers are the most delusional twits on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 5206/10/2021

I don't think there's any city in the US that looks much like European cities, much less offers the European lifestyle. Having said that, when I was in Bari, Italy, parts of it reminded me a lot of the UES - but only for a few blocks.

by Anonymousreply 5306/10/2021

Several times, R51, but thanks for your concern.

Washington is European as well with all those statues, etc. I haven't spent much time near the Mediterranean, but could New Orleans seem similar?

by Anonymousreply 5406/10/2021

[quote] Washington is European as well with all those statues, etc

So, having statues is equivalent to "offering the urban European lifestyle" to you? Be honest. The extent of your European travels is watching a few Rick Steves shows on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 5506/10/2021

OP doesn’t own a passport.

by Anonymousreply 5606/10/2021

How NYC is like Europe: lots of nice little cafes, walkable, good public transportation, annoying tourists, flagship department stores.

How it’s NOT: We have an incredible array of cuisines, it’s filthy dirty, the natives are surprisingly helpful and want you to have a good time, our police have guns.

by Anonymousreply 5706/10/2021

OP mentioned NYC's density, public transport and lack of suburban character. Most of the comments seem to be referring to architecture or society. I live in Manhattan, but have travelled extensively through Europe and Asia. New York, on the whole certainly doesn't look like a European city that I've been to, except perhaps London, except London seems more charming to me. There are parts of Greenwich Village and lower Manhattan that have a European character, and some of Brooklyn too. But mostly NYC reminds me more me of Hong Kong and Taipei, at least in density and frenetic energy. I agree that Charleson, New Orleans and San Francisco have areas that are a lot like Europe.

by Anonymousreply 5806/10/2021

[quote] How it’s NOT: [...] our police have guns.

Have you never been to Rome or Paris?

by Anonymousreply 5906/10/2021

WTF is the "urban European Lifestyle"?

by Anonymousreply 6006/10/2021

^DENSE (!) central part, mostly public transport, hardly suburban.

by Anonymousreply 6106/10/2021

R61 that describes many cities all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 6206/10/2021

is this the lifestyle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6306/10/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!