Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are there so many psoriasis and eczema commercials on TV?

Is psoriasis and eczema a national epidemic? Is it worse than the global pandemic? Whether it's Cyndi Lauper saying "see me!" with her Cosentyx commercials, the slow/stop motion Dupixent commercials, the Skyrizi tune that gets stuck in your head, or the hot daddy in the pool in the Otezla commercial - why are these ads on TV 24/7?

by Anonymousreply 22February 8, 2022 4:44 PM

OP is obviously a shill for big pharma, spreading chum in the waters of the DL. No one else would know, much less know how to spell, all those product names.

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2021 12:48 AM

Psoriasis disproportionately afflicts people in Northern countries. Sun (UV radiation) seems to mitigate it. It's also a result of an overactive immune system so likely liked to several unhealthy dietary and environmental factors. There is no history of this in my family and it started in my 40s.

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2021 12:56 AM

It’s because those drugs cost thousands of dollars per treatment and are among the highest earners for the pharmaceutical companies. It’s not that so many have those diseases, it’s the astronomical cost of those drugs and their amazing results that are a boon.

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2021 1:34 AM

Big Pharma tries to make big-deal drugs, but then they figure out they only fix smaller problems like psoriasis, eczema or some other previously non-existent condition they can make up, like 'dry-eye disease'. Then they market the hell out of it.

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2021 1:51 AM

My psoriasis cream tazarotene used to be available OTC for about 5$ a tube. Some rando pharm company bought the patent, repurposed it and renamed it Tazorac without changing one thing. Now it costs about $700 a tube and it has to be prescribed by a derm. Fuck them, I stopped using it and found other less effective but it’s basically free with my health insurance. The government, the pharmaceutical companies and the related businesses are criminal. I’m fortunate that it’s a minor case.

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2021 2:29 AM

OP, me and the husbear ask this same thing every day! We’ve begun laughing at them. Especially the know where the woman is behaving all her dead skin flakes all the sheets!!!! Eeewwwwww!!!

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2021 2:44 AM

R4 and R6 my skin psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis is a serious, debilitating autoimmune disease. I have been on several big pharma injectables and IV infusion treatments. Humira, Cosentyx, Taltz, Tremfya, Remicade. I have to switch to a different biological drug when my body builds antibodies to the drug and it loses its effectiveness. These drugs cost my insurance company over 100K a year. They are not cures but have been near lifesavers for me. Without them my body would be covered with psoriasis lesions (including my face) and my joints would have sustained permanent destruction in the areas where I’m affected: My neck, back, wrists, hands and ankles. I’m 48 yrs old and do not want to live my life indoors and in a wheelchair if I can help it. Would you? Try educating yourself before you and your partner laugh at others who suffer with psoriatic disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote]No one else would know, much less know how to spell, all those product names.

Unless they own a TV and have access to a search engine

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2021 5:34 PM

There’s one commercial...not sure if it’s for a skin condition or what... where the voiceover discusses the perinimium, also known as the taint. We get a charge out of that.

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2021 5:38 PM

R9, do you and your nasty partner shave your overgrown perinimiums?

by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2021 11:53 PM

For r9

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2021 12:16 AM

That sucks R7. Im glad there are meds for your condition. I work in advertising and most of the focus is on curing the skin condition for aesthetic reasons. It’s such a strange disease that would affect your joints as well.

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2021 12:45 AM

R7 Rheumatoid Arthritis patient here. My Rheumy wanted me to go on Remicade. I was all for it. Butt Medicaid turned it down saying we need to try Humira first. I just want to try something because Methotrexate is no longer working like it was.

by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2021 1:04 AM

I have eczema and my bullshit dermatologists have never prescribed me any of these fancy drugs. They write me a script for some expensive ass cortisone I can buy in Walmart for $2 and send me on my way!

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2021 1:20 AM

Thank you R7. I was poo-pooing some of these meds too but you have opened our eyes. The pharmaceutical companies have given me a healthy life. Otherwise I would have died as a grade-schooler or teen. There are some problems with them, but we are lucky to have them.

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2021 1:35 AM

I am SO SICK of these commercials targeting people with fucked up skin.

Cover that shit up like people used to do. No one wants to see your fucked up skin!

And go slap the shit out of your parents for giving you FUCKED UP SKIN.

by Anonymousreply 16February 7, 2022 10:54 PM

R16 I’ll provide the grease fire and you know what you can do next.

by Anonymousreply 17February 7, 2022 10:58 PM

Whatever happened to the focus on my Restless Leg Syndrome!?

by Anonymousreply 18February 7, 2022 11:09 PM

Psoriatic Arthritis and psoriasis have fucked up my entire life. These drugs are very expensive but are lifesavers.

by Anonymousreply 19February 7, 2022 11:11 PM

R5, have your tried Corium 21?

by Anonymousreply 20February 7, 2022 11:53 PM

These skin disorders are more prevalent among the obese.

by Anonymousreply 21February 8, 2022 4:38 AM

[quote]These skin disorders are more prevalent among the obese.

True. Fatties and topical corticosteroids. Stop shoving down food your body doesn't like, fat whores.

by Anonymousreply 22February 8, 2022 4:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!