Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Everybody wants so desperately to MATTER.”

I quoted this from a poster in the ‘Twitter nut and attention-seeker wants kill himself’ thread. I think it’s the plague and epidemic of our times. Feeling and living this way couldn’t be more destructive and debasing. I believe most mental health issues would be resolved if people subjected themselves to the arduous and rigorous task of evolving into a person that truly has NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE. Mind you, this does not mean turning into a callous, selfish, egotistical turd; quite the contrary, actually.

Yes, in order to not give a fuck about what others think or feel about you, one must begin by developing a self-esteem, which may at first require self-centered tendencies. However, most people confuse self-centeredness in this process as [italic]others[/italic] making them the center of [italic]their[/italic] world. Additionally, even when they have the right idea about what self-centeredness entails, most people still miss the mark by getting stuck in this developmental stage.

The true mark of someone who doesn’t give a fuck is the acceptance that they are not better or worse, more important or less important, more entitled or more undeserving than anyone else. In a sense, one has to build up their ego - this is, of course, if one does not have an ego that manifests healthily; otherwise, skip to the following step - only to tear it back down in order to arrive at a true and valid self-estimation of oneself, i.e., a healthy self-esteem.

Often this requires much solitude, pain, shedding of illusions, delusions, and fantasies, reconciling with life’s torturous and inevitable rites of passage - namely aging and death - and adopting a brutally honest outlook on life and oneself. Only after one has stripped oneself naked and raw of hubris and transient adornments can one begin to not care in the egocentric sense and expand and care in the altruistic sense.

This is one of the reasons why DL is the only social media platform I interact on: No one on here gives a fuck who or what you are, and, so, it doesn’t interfere with my own current growth process. Plus, I like the generation of humility DL at its best can be conducive to.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 10:27 PM

Everybody thinks that they’re a celebrity in their own lives.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2021 6:38 PM

Calm down gurl.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 6:39 PM

R2 lol.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 6:41 PM

Social media is toxic and psychologically destructive, and intellectually ruinous as well.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 7:55 PM

[quote] “Everybody wants so desperately to MATTER.”

That on its own isn't the problem at all. People want to matter a great deal TO OTHER PEOPLE.

It's fairly healthy to decide that your life and your desires should matter to you the most and to find a way to achieve that without having to hurt anybody else, because - under normal circumstances - people feel bad and guilty when they hurt other people.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 8:01 PM

What point is there to life except to matter?

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 8:10 PM

We're *all* matter.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 8:11 PM

Wanting the wrong attention, wanting unearned attention, and not being careful with how I give my attention have been what my problems boil down to. I think this is related to what you're saying, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 8:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 8:24 PM

[quote] That on its own isn't the problem at all. People want to matter a great deal TO OTHER PEOPLE.

But if people “want to matter,” doesn’t that imply that they want matter to [italic]other people[/italic]? I mean, who or what else would they matter to? I suppose one could say a divine higher power, but let’s assume we’re talking about atheists for the sake of my question.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 9:27 PM

Well that's the thing, it's natural to want to be the star and not the audience.

But social media has the effect of making everyone think they're the star and not the audience, which can't be. And people are now angry because nobody treats them like the star they feel they are, which is batshit.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 9:46 PM

Shparkle, baby! And don't shtop!

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 9:50 PM

You should kill your self OP. You don’t MATTER. (Capitalizations yours)

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2021 9:51 PM

[quote] But if people “want to matter,” doesn’t that imply that they want matter to other people?

Not necessarily. As pointed out at r5 it's either about a relationship between you and others or you and you where your needs should matter to you more than whatever others demand of you.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2021 9:51 PM

Thank you ghost of Dr Joyce Brothers

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2021 9:53 PM

I think you’re pretty wise, OP.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2021 10:02 PM

R13 Oh, love, if only I were that fragile.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2021 10:13 PM

Keep practicing, hon.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2021 10:25 PM

R18 I am, I am!

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 10:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!