Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the hardest non physical thing to maintain as you go older?

Asking for a friend. I'll call her Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 10:01 PM

Most people are never most of those things in their lifetimes. Average, normative, pedestrian excludes most of that list. Fashionable and seductive are as close as most of us get.

Spontaneity. Motivation to change - oneself and life circumstances - or do new things seems to diminish.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2021 4:51 PM

alert, I hate it when I am not lert.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 5:02 PM

Maybe open-mindedness perhaps, and the ability to not let being jaded by age and disappointment keep you from new ideas or experiences.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 5:05 PM

The aroma of springtime.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 5:13 PM

Friendliness.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 5:14 PM

I honestly don't think Madonna's problem is being conceptually cutting edge--she kept focusing on that with the Madame X stuff, but the concept was not the problem.

The problem is that Madonna has always tried to sell her pop music ventures on sexiness and coolness, and you just can't do that with pop music when you're over 45. I don't think it's a matter of her being a woman, either--Rod Stewart, Paul McCartney, etc. also faced vastly reduced markets as they got older, and they mostly had to keep selling their oldies or do American songbook stuff. No one wants radical new directions from pop singers who are over the hill.

Young people want to hear music by other young people, and most people are set in their pop music tastes by the time they're middle aged and keep that for the rest of their lives.

Madonna is free to do whatever she wants, but she would make the most money and garner the most interest if she did oldies or if she did a Great American songbook album (yeah, her voice is not great, but neither was Rod Stewart's). But even then she will never be relevant to young people the way she was up until "Ray of Light" (her last genuine big hit).

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 5:21 PM

Being polite.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 5:40 PM

for me it's 'giving a shit'. I just rarely care anymore.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 6:25 PM

Gogetting . I will also add compassion.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 6:52 PM

Having goals for the future rather than looking backwards to the past.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 9:44 PM

Spelling, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 9:46 PM

Ditto, r8…

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 10:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!