Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Datalounge - what in the FUCK is going on with EVERYTHING being out of stock or unavailable?

I don't mean to sound like a crass material-craving American, but for over a year now everything we need for our house is either "out of stock" or months in the making. The refrigerator ordered in December, made in the U.S., arrived just last Thursday. Home Depot, the king of shitty, poorly made crap shows nearly every item online as "unavailable for pick-up or delivery". Just this morning I was trying to order some cheap ass replacement cushions for my patio sofa and two chairs. Just normal crap you would want to pick up in the summertime. Nothing. It's all "out of stock" or "unavailable". Whole Foods, constantly out of this or that. Out local WF has really gone to shit. Nasty bathrooms, increasingly empty shelves. Recently tried to order some basic Hanes tees that I wear under my shirts for work. I ordered from two websites. Both came back a week later, refunded my order and told me they were "unavailable". Add this to the constant, every-where-you-go excuse of "Oh sorry, we're just so busy because of COVID", or, "we close early/don't have that/can't do that because of COVID" nonsense, and none of it really adds up. Is this all due to a global supply chain issue or has something greatly shifted that they aren't telling us? People started buying more during COVID, but it's been over a fucking year now and things aren't normal . :-(

by Anonymousreply 132September 22, 2021 1:19 AM

New knee pads are the rage now that things are opening up.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2021 4:12 PM

I haven't had this problem, everything I ordered has arrived, only one thing was late. I also haven't bought toilet paper since I hoarded last year.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 4:15 PM

The retailers of the world have decided they're just not that into you OP.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 4:15 PM

In the 90s, business school taught the gospel of “just in time” inventory. Like businesses saving money for a rainy day, the idea of preparing for downturns was wiped off the map. Capitalism encourages short term gains or long term planning. Don’t think anyone cares about you, the customer. Businesses pay less tax, run out of money then file bankruptcy and walk away and have no responsibility to society. Yet they are running our lives.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 4:17 PM

Watch this excellent video, OP. It explains it well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 4:21 PM

Didnt covid stall out production?

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 4:23 PM

Why would people still shit in public bathroom these days? It's just too disgusting for me.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 4:23 PM

I can’t say I have waited for months OP but I have noticed things take longer to receive or cost much more and I live in a large metropolitan city where I was used to getting Amazon delivery in a few hours.

My stove broke a few weeks ago and I had few choices for a slide in and ended up buying what was in stock for delivery which took a week in comparison with the past where I had lots of appliances to choose from and delivered at most within 48 hours.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 4:25 PM

I hear you OP - I've seen the same thing.

Even Target doesn't keep their shelves stocked and are out of items for MONTHS at a time.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 4:27 PM

My neighbor is a home builder and he's dead in the water on several projects because he can't get plywood, doors, windows, etc. Another neighbor puts metal roofs on commercial buildings and hasn't worked three out of the last six weeks because he can't get materials.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 4:33 PM

R8, Inside Edition aired a segment last week on how customers needing appliances are buying floor models out of desperation.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 4:34 PM

There is currently about a 60,000 deficit in truck drivers in the U.S.

I would get a CDL license if I was young, single and had no pets. Travel, good money, work independently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 4:36 PM

Target refuses to deliver70% of its household stock. It says “check in stores” under most anything you want to order that yiu routineky buy, like hand soap, detergent, cat food, personal items, etc. You never get a coupon for online shopping because they want you to pick it up at the store. “Get $10 coupon if you order pickup at your local store.”

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2021 4:36 PM

I'm circling the drain. Stock up on canned goods.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2021 4:38 PM

r5 his narration is so fucking annoying though. Punchable voice

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2021 4:38 PM

R12, I'd have a problem remaining awake for all those hours behind the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2021 4:39 PM

COVID is part of it, but I just saw an article about this somewhere.

Increasingly, big corporations are keeping leaner inventories and making customers wait. This used to only happen at furniture retailers when they needed to specially make an item. We tried to get small things at stores like Crate and Barrel, CB2, West Elm etc and they are all on backorder until year end.

But yeah, it's a thing. One more thing to make shareholders money and fuck over regular people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2021 4:40 PM

[quote] My neighbor is a home builder and he's dead in the water on several projects because he can't get plywood, doors, windows, etc.

We tried to get a new front door a few months ago and were asking about options and they said, just so you know, anything ordered now arrives in January.

We gave up.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2021 4:41 PM

[quote]We tried to get small things at stores like Crate and Barrel, CB2, West Elm etc and they are all on backorder until year end.

Yes, a friend of mine ordered a living room couch and chair at a local furniture retailer last month and the lead time is 10 months.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 4:43 PM

There are definite shortages of materials and construction workers where I live but mostly it's from the three major wildfires since 2017 destroying thousands of homes and buildings.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2021 4:44 PM

I’ve noticed this too, OP. I can only order my dog food online because Petco and Petsmart are out if it in store. it’s in stock nowhere and it’s not some fancy brand. Six months I’ve been waiting for a pillow to be in stock because the In Stock date keeps being pushed out.

So many things like picture frames, towels—many items I’ve wanted to order are always out of stock. It was not like this pre-COVID and it’s frustrating as hell. Sometimes it’s just basic stuff I can’t get. I’m tired of it.

The two hardest items to secure before they’re out of stock again? Low fat, organic yogurt other than plain or vanilla and Kashi 7 grain waffles. Getting these two items is like a lottery.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2021 4:47 PM

I occasionally enjoy a diet soda, one that is not one of the handful of major brands/names, and it is almost never in stock.

I understood it at the height of the pandemic, but I think now we're going to see many brands discontinued. Companies can just hide behind the pandemic.

This goes along with the constant raise the price/shrink the package stuff, and how so many clothing items are getting more and more poorly constructed. (Something happened with men's underwear a few years ago where literally every brand changed their design or materials, both main material and waistband, and it's noticeable.)

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2021 4:51 PM

r21, it's SUPER easy to make your own low fat yogurt- I make my dog a half gallon of it every week. I don't know if that's something you'd be interested in but maybe if you continue to have issues?

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2021 4:55 PM

Strangely, I can’t get catfish right now. I had an out of town guest who wanted it for a meal. One restaurant chain completely took it off the menu and said it would be at least September before it was available. Couldn’t find any at grocery stores, either.

I know it’s not a huge thing, and I won’t miss it, I just found it odd. Also, many restaurants are unable to meet the demand for chicken wings and have taken them off the menu

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote]I would get a CDL license if I was young, single and had no pets. Travel, good money, work independently...

...truck stop blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2021 4:57 PM

We ordered a new bed in March and had to wait six weeks for delivery. Slumberland said it was because of the cold snap in Texas and something about a plant being behind on making foam. We also looked at a chair and table and both would have been a six month wait. The reason for that was simply being behind because of Covid.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2021 5:04 PM

My stereo receiver died last fall. I immediately researched new models and chose two that would be acceptable. Nobody anywhere had either of them available and had no idea when they may become available again. By the end of 2020, I gave up and stopped looking, thinking I'd just wait it out. I think it's about time to start looking around again. On the other hand, if I were willing or able to spend $4,000+ for a receiver, I could get one of those right now.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2021 5:15 PM

I can't find Lee Press-Ons.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2021 5:19 PM

one of the reasons is that thousands of Chinese companies went bankrupt during the pandemic. There will be a lot of things that are never coming back.

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2021 5:29 PM

The bottom line of R5's posted video is that the supply chain was disrupted by the confluence of a recession ending in Asia just as Covid halted everything in the West, but since I couldn't stomach the slow pace of that video (which goes to the weakness of presenting such data in a video format — good for slow people, frustrating for those who developed critical thinking skills and the ability to quickly skim pertinent points to glean the relevant facts) I don't know if they got to the root cause of the issue, which is pretty simply: Trump fucked us. Not trying to devolve the thread into just blaming Trump, but the issues were all there from the beginning (that is, the actual beginning of the pandemic at the end of 2019) and Trump neither acted nor reacted, and due to his outsized influence on "the party of business," they sat on their hands afraid to offend the great orange one by pointing out and working on basic facts.

To wit, as R4 points out, just in time inventory is a great system so long as the supply chain is uninterrupted. The system is built to handle (with some pain, but nevertheless...) recessionary behavior. In fact, JIT was conceived to handle recessions with less risk; it's just that no one predicted the obvious, that if there ever was a crisis, all that we'd have available would be the daily inventory waiting for Joe Consumer to push his cart down the aisle and select the item. Despite that we've seen scarcity and shortages on specific goods since JIT supply chain economics became a thing (remember the shortage of Cabbage Patch Kids in the 80s?), business assumed that government would be there, be responsible, and could and would handle a preventable crisis. Then we elected the least experienced, bankruptcy-laden and poorest billionaire imaginable, who then proceeded to hollow out government at a pace unlike any time in history, leaving is without leadership, experience, and experts capable of mitigating the crisis. It's an overused cliché, but business schools will be studying the period between January 2017 and June 2021 for the next 50 years to figure out how we went from a thriving expanding economy to one plagued by shortages, scarcity and inflation.

The next time you hear someone bitch about Democrats abandoning working people in favor or business interests, keep the pandemic and the resultant impacts we're facing in mind because getting the products into working people's hands when they need them is dependent on business interests doing their jobs. Without leadership and a strong Federal government, business is not going to risk profits for any reason. It took electing Biden to motivate business to solve the problems; for example, despite the obvious free money Trump threw at them with the failed Operation Warp Speed, Merck didn't voluntarily agree to help Johnson and Johnson produce a vaccine. It was Biden suggesting either they worked together or the Federal government would deploy the Defense Production Act, seize the assets and personnel, and do it for them.

It's the same story told over and over since the end of World War II: Democrats build things up, Republicans tear them down. That a worldwide crisis happened under a GOP-controlled US government just compounded the tragedy, misery and pain.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2021 6:02 PM

[quote]but since I couldn't stomach the slow pace of that video

Much as I felt about the verbosity of your post r30.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2021 6:24 PM

[quote] verbosity

If there was ever a "you type fat" moment, that was it.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2021 6:53 PM

Here's a hint for you, 30. YouTube allows you to adjust playback speed so you can listen faster if you want. Click the gear-shaped Settings link to find it. I'm afraid it can't help more with your ADD.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2021 7:16 PM

Welcome to New Russia.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2021 7:19 PM

I don't know where you people are living. How much more crap do you need? I keep buying crap because it's cheap or whatever but I don't need more crap. If something breaks you can usually get one on craigslist or ebay. We got a dvd player for $2.99 at Goodwill. The only thing I have a problem getting is specific flavors of cat food. I assume it's because everybody's cats like the same flavors and the stores and cat food companies haven't caught on yet.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2021 8:14 PM

Calm down, R35. Items such as furniture and mattresses which need replacing, are considered necessities, not crap. As for previously owned furniture and electronics, bedding and upholstered furniture are best purchased new.

Much of Craigslist's current offerings are from people getting rid of their poorly-maintained belongings at ridiculously inflated prices; yes, they are price-gouging in response to the shortages.

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2021 9:24 PM

I have to buy our cat's Fancy Feast online now from Chewy.com It's close to the store price and free delivery in a couple days. Stores don't have it.

I received 3 cases today and noticed it's made in Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2021 10:40 PM

Starbucks hit hard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2021 10:59 PM

R38 Fat Whores Recoil!

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2021 12:34 AM

Sounds like a lot of work r39.

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2021 8:31 AM

Shipping container shortages.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2021 8:45 AM

[quote] remember the shortage of Cabbage Patch Kids in the 80s?

Not a good example. The Cabbage Patch Kids shortage was because buyers did not order the dolls at Toy Fair. The dolls were considered ugly, and buyers did not place orders. Coleco produced dolls based on the Toy Fair orders. When the commercial hit in November, kids went crazy. Nobody was prepared for the success of the dolls.

by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2021 8:58 AM

R12, my friend's barber quit to become a truck driver

by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2021 9:01 AM

I’ve noticed at my local Walmart they have been out of lots of shit the past few weeks and lots of empty shelves. Everything had been normal until recently.

by Anonymousreply 44September 1, 2021 9:22 PM

Who, in this scenario, has a big dick?

by Anonymousreply 45September 1, 2021 10:00 PM

Maybe the everything on demand life is over for us. If you want something, you have to wait a bit. You might not be able to reliably get all 50 items you want at your supermarket the day you go there. There's a lot of waste and overproduction that goes into 100% availability all of the time. When the economy contracts, as it inevitably will at some point in the next 1-10 years, things will be more available.

by Anonymousreply 46September 1, 2021 11:12 PM

My washing machine (came with the house when I bought it) started making funny noises a couple weeks ago. I googled the model number, and it is from 1986 (the year the house was built)! I am shocked that it lasted this long. I have only been in this house for 3 years. In any case, I have ordered TWO sets from Costco that have been cancelled right before delivery. I just placed a third order, and customer service assures me that this one will stick. Such a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 47September 1, 2021 11:19 PM

[R46], your post makes a lot of sense. Things have changed, maybe not forever, but one gets used to things as they are. Thank Christ the books I order on abe are always here in a reasonable amount of time.

by Anonymousreply 48September 1, 2021 11:21 PM

Op: wah wah a spoiled American has spoken! I want what I want and I want it now!

by Anonymousreply 49September 1, 2021 11:24 PM

Whole Foods= planned obsolescence= customers order everything through the Amazon portal.

I gave up on WF, pre-pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 50September 1, 2021 11:29 PM

I'm an American and I want my cheap crap, yesterday.

Still won't use Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 51September 1, 2021 11:32 PM

R49 and R51, kindly fuck yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 52September 1, 2021 11:36 PM

Where do folks live that are having supply and delivery issues? I am in Phoenix and the stores seem full. Yesterday went in a Target and saw a bunch of empty shelves, and thought oh no. But the employees said they were making room for the Christmas crap. My partner has been ordering furniture and it’s been coming in on time and about same timeframe as pre Covid - a few weeks.

The refrigerator has been making noises so I think it is time to replace so looking to take advantage of Costco’s LG Labor Day sale. The noted wait time is 2 weeks. After I order Hoping not to be like an upstream response who said his/her/its order was postponed or canceled.

Family and friends in California (Northern and Southern) and Western Nevada also haven’t noticed any issues with stock or availability. Maybe the further you are from the west coast ports it becomes more noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 53September 1, 2021 11:48 PM

Saw some empty shelves in the Gatorade aisle today at my local Tom Thumb (Safeway), but they were in the middle of restocking everything.

by Anonymousreply 54September 1, 2021 11:52 PM

Meh. I stay on WISH.

by Anonymousreply 55September 1, 2021 11:53 PM

A stereo receiver? Go to the Goodwill. They have tons of that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 56September 1, 2021 11:58 PM

Sounds good ta me.

by Anonymousreply 57September 2, 2021 12:01 AM

I am waiting for some items that I ordered back in May. There was supposed to be a delay until June but now it’s September. I’m just going to ask for my money to be reimbursed before I start filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau.

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2021 12:28 AM

R54 - Gatorade shelves bare here in FL as well. Is that something paranoid "preppers" have monopolized?

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2021 12:47 AM

It's been a long, hot summer, R59.

by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2021 1:01 AM

Kroger was out of Braunschweiger (liverwurst). What am I supposed to wrap Fluffy’s dog pills in now?

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2021 1:12 AM

Known to clear a dive bar (or supermarket shelf) faster than you can say "WTF!!??"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2021 1:13 AM

I just went to get St Germain elderflower liquor. They were stocked out because of high demand low supply due to Covid. It simple is not civilized.

by Anonymousreply 63September 2, 2021 1:16 AM

OP, All the stuff you need are on container ships stuck off the California coast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2021 1:27 AM

I can’t get my poop medicine because there is a shortage of inulin. Yes I know….TMI….

by Anonymousreply 65September 2, 2021 1:29 AM

Need my stuff, this will not do.

by Anonymousreply 66September 2, 2021 1:33 AM

The Walmart in town always has low stock or no stock in the grocery section. Oddly, the 2 other grocery stores in town are not as affected by shortages.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2021 1:45 AM

i haven't been able to buy fancy feast in weeks. my cats need their food!

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2021 2:03 AM

[quote]Gatorade shelves bare here in FL as well. Is that something paranoid "preppers" have monopolized?

R59, I think it may be that many people in our states (TX & FL) are sick and using Gatorade to replenish electrolytes.

by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2021 2:26 AM

you guys better stock up and stuff you need and if you need to send packages for xmas etc, better start packing and mailing them.

Last year, I sent a box of xmas gifts to UK in early Dec, the box didn't arrive until march. Everybody was sending packages and the post office was swamped.

by Anonymousreply 70September 2, 2021 2:48 AM

[quote] In the 90s, business school taught the gospel of “just in time” inventory. Like businesses saving money for a rainy day, the idea of preparing for downturns was wiped off the map. Capitalism encourages short term gains or long term planning.

Yes, Apple follows that policy. Those Chinese like to play as servants for the time being.

by Anonymousreply 71September 2, 2021 2:52 AM

R44

[quote] I’ve noticed at my local Walmart they have been out of lots of shit

It disappears when you press the button on your toilet-cistern.

by Anonymousreply 72September 2, 2021 2:56 AM

Have you asked to speak with a Manager, OP?

by Anonymousreply 73September 2, 2021 2:57 AM

r61, cream cheese or pub cheese. Never fails.

by Anonymousreply 74September 2, 2021 2:58 AM

R68, try chewy.com. I have a cat who will eat only one flavor, and no one has carried it for months. Chewy has it and it's cheaper than the stores and they offer free delivery.

by Anonymousreply 75September 2, 2021 8:01 AM

Can’t get the meds any longer for my dog’s collapsed trachea. No supply until further notice per the 12 pharmacies in my area. My vet is trying to work with a compounding pharmacy to help the 30-40 dog patients get their meds monthly. What a pain in the ass!

by Anonymousreply 76September 2, 2021 11:01 AM

Okay, tell me what you are looking for, and I will tell you where to find it.

by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2021 1:36 AM

GM announced this week that they are suspending production due to the lack of chips needed for vehicles' computers.

by Anonymousreply 78September 5, 2021 4:16 AM

You should be boycotting whole foods OP.

by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2021 6:52 AM

R76: Have you tried the Costco pharmacy?

by Anonymousreply 80September 5, 2021 3:10 PM

R80 yes and no luck - ugh!

by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2021 4:57 PM

There is no need to consciously boycott WF, the quality slipped after the Amazon takeover.It's not worth shopping there, literally and figuratively.

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2021 5:00 PM

I used to shop at Whole Foods for maybe 75% of my groceries, but they became so annoying during the pandemic, I don't go at all anymore. I'm not boycotting. It's just that I realize my local chain supermarket has everything I need. I don't drive, so I do get some things delivered by Amazon, like toilet paper, paper towels, cases of Cento tomatoes, a case of De Cecco cavatappi because it had such a ridiculously low price one day and I use it all the time. But mostly I go to the local chain supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 83September 5, 2021 8:36 PM

I tell you what's unavailable right now. those at home covid tests. I've been trying to buy one but it's not available anywhere and the manager tells me that people are buying them in bulk!

by Anonymousreply 84September 9, 2021 7:39 PM

The world doesn't revolve around you, OP. Stop picking out shitty things no one wants.

by Anonymousreply 85September 9, 2021 7:45 PM

We ordered outdoor furniture in January. After we paid for it we were told the fabric we picked wouldn't be available until DECEMBER! We were told fabrics were not available, break in the supply chain, blah, blah, blah. Went back and selected a different fabric based on a list we asked for of all the fabrics and dates of availability. Selected one that was the earliest available, in JULY. In July we were told it was pushed back until September.

Supposedly our furniture is now on a ship somewhere and will arrive end of September. I don't expect to see any of it until the new year.

All blamed on COVID. I think COVID was an issue at one point, but now COVID is just a convenient stall tactic or explanation for inability to produce what's been ordered and paid for.

Ultimately it's first world problems. Our life will go on with the old deck furniture.

But it is part of the new new.

by Anonymousreply 86September 9, 2021 11:26 PM

Can't find the at home covid test either.

by Anonymousreply 87September 9, 2021 11:42 PM

There's been articles about this OP. Welcome to the new order: a world where the First World begins to suffer Third World shortages and delays. Get ready for a lot more of it: the world you grew up with is ending.

by Anonymousreply 88September 9, 2021 11:44 PM

Okay, I believe my sister was able to buy covid tests in Seattle, but we don't talk much. So go to Seattle for those. For the patio furniture, that's a different story. If you want it NOW you have to buy what's in stock.

Now, ask some more. What else can't you guys find?

by Anonymousreply 89September 9, 2021 11:48 PM

I read recently that there was another delay of container ship somewhere on the west coast? I can't remember, I was scanning the headlines and didn't pay much attention but definitely stock up on things you don't want to run out of.

by Anonymousreply 90September 9, 2021 11:52 PM

Shipping delays caused by full cargo ships waiting to unload along West Coast

The delays are due to continuing backups to unload cargo ships at West Coast ports, including in Seattle and Tacoma.

SEATTLE — You may not find everything you want for Christmas this year, or at least you’ll wait a bit longer to get some things, as shipping delays continue up and down the West Coast.

The delays are due to ongoing backups to unload cargo ships at West Coast ports, including the Northwest Seaport Alliance, which operates the cargo portions of the ports of Seattle and Tacoma.

Ships that arrive in the inland waters of Puget Sound are finding themselves anchored from seven to 10 days before they can tie up and offload, and that’s on top of delays they may have already experienced at a previous stop, such as the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

“Then once they’re unloaded, there is some delay in getting onto rail cars or onto trucks, simply because every part of our system is being challenged with this large import demand that we’re seeing,” said Melanie Stambaugh with the Northwest Seaport Alliance.

The situation has been building about a year, in part because of increased demand on imports due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Retailers said they knew problems were coming, as did manufacturers. Those who could stepped up production to get products out the door in August, rather than wait for the more traditional months of September and October, when much of the rush for Christmas-related imports is in full swing.

“I think everybody is aware of the congestion problem challenging the West Coast ports,” said Stambaugh.

But it's not just Christmas merchandise that's impacted.

Greg Whittaker, who owns Mountain to Sound Outfitters in West Seattle, said the suppliers of skis, snowboards and other winter sports gear were notifying him in July that they were working on plans to get product to him on time.

Whittaker said he's expecting to have 70% of his inventory in stock for the upcoming ski season, but is concerned that as much as 30% could be delayed by an extra two or three weeks. Whittaker said those delays could be very specific, such as certain items that come in a variety of sizes, more than broad categories of products.

One issue driving the problem is that there is a shortage of containers in Asia.

Containers in the U.S. are often shipped back empty, instead of being made available to ship more U.S. exports. The Seaport Alliance said in some cases too many containers are backed up on docks and in terminals and can’t be put onto trains heading to inland distribution cities in the Midwest quickly enough. That is one reason why many ships have to lay at anchor waiting to come in.

The Seaport Alliance is expecting the situation may resolve itself around the end of 2021.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 9, 2021 11:54 PM

between covid and thousands of companies going bankrupt in China there are lots of shortages. Because of the shortage on computer chips they said 2 days ago that there is going to be a huge shortage of appliances. Unfortunately I need a new stove, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer and maybe a refrigerator. All my appliances except the refrigerator are from the 1990's. I am not sure how much longer I can make them last.

by Anonymousreply 92September 10, 2021 12:01 AM

R92, where are you located? We are in NJ and have been finding most of our large appliances on those websites like Offer Up or whatever. You need to have a truck though. We are cheap as hell.

by Anonymousreply 93September 10, 2021 12:08 AM

I lucked out 2 months ago and found a fridge (last one) in a Lowes after calling every single appliance and hardware store in my area. I wasnt going to buy some used piece of shit to go into the house I just bought. Even then it took 3 weeks to get it delivered .That dirty fuck we bought our house from had apparently had the one in here rigged to barely last .When it started to go out we called a repairman who showed me that it had been rigged with some part that was temporary only. He said we were lucky it lasted a month. Its crazy times we are living in.

by Anonymousreply 94September 10, 2021 12:22 AM

Gee,maybe if we still made things here like we used to this wouldnt be an issue?

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2021 12:23 AM

Exactly R95. It definitely wouldn't be an issue because no one would be able to afford anything made in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2021 12:27 AM

We will not ever make very many things like appliances ever again. It's too expensive to pay Americans, they say, to manufacture things. They would have to pay well and give insurance, vacation etc. The poors in the world will work like animals for nothing. IT'S NEVER COMING BACK, so get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2021 12:35 AM

I haven't noticed a difference

by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2021 12:35 AM

I have complaining about this for ages. No taco sauce. No Cat Litter. No Cinnamon Rolls. Beets shortage. I have noticed a surplus of hillbillies coughing at Kroger--so plenty of coughs at most stores. . So that...

by Anonymousreply 99September 10, 2021 12:43 AM

[quote]No Cinnamon Rolls.

I got cinnamon rolls today at Panera.

by Anonymousreply 100September 10, 2021 12:45 AM

R100 = Am am talking Grocery Store Shortages.

by Anonymousreply 101September 10, 2021 12:49 AM

I finally found a covid home test kit at Walgreens but only can buy 1 per person.

by Anonymousreply 102September 10, 2021 12:57 AM

Crap, crap and MORE crap! That's all I have to say.

by Anonymousreply 103September 10, 2021 12:58 AM

Seems like a lot of stuff is stale too. Like packaged items. Bread even.

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2021 1:08 AM

r62, Back at you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2021 1:16 AM

Eventually, quite a bit of foriegn manufacturing will be shifted back as robotic and 3-D printed manufacturing becomes more common. Case in point, Tesla which is building huge robotic factories in the US, Europe and Asia precisely to minimize shipping, tariffs, and shortages.

Affordable 3-D printing will also allow for manufacturing of smaller goods locally.

by Anonymousreply 106September 10, 2021 1:17 AM

Everything seems to take longer here in the UK also.

With the exception of Covid test kits (which are Free). They just keep sending them randomly without request, we have about 15 each currently.

by Anonymousreply 107September 10, 2021 1:23 AM

R102 = Covid tests are free at the library. In Ohio you just go and they will give you a box of Covid Home Test. I thought it was a national thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 10, 2021 3:16 AM

The shortages of consumer goods might be PERMANENT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 12, 2021 2:50 AM

It’s time to bring back businesses down to the mom and pop level and that goes for supply chains too.

Now would be a good time to start.

by Anonymousreply 110September 12, 2021 3:03 AM

they went through brexit, then they have global Covid pandemic. Even with just Brexit, Britain would have this problem. Too bad the Tories fucked over there own people and did what the Russian Oligarchy wanted instead.

by Anonymousreply 111September 12, 2021 3:45 AM

This was going on before the Pandemic, just not on this level. The Government and the stores are not going to panic people and use the words "food shortage" but when you see an empty shelf at the store, that is by definition what food shortage is. Also part of this is Food Stamps were increased 18 months ago for millions so that is also contributing to a shortage.

by Anonymousreply 112September 12, 2021 4:02 AM

Look for this to get worse as President Mr. Magoo's vaccine mandates take effect. Those truckers will get their choice of where to prioritize delivery of goods to, and it won't be places that look down their noses at them and call them deplorable and other such names.

by Anonymousreply 113September 12, 2021 4:11 AM

Eat. Paste. R113

by Anonymousreply 114September 12, 2021 4:57 AM

[quote]Look for this to get worse as President Mr. Magoo's vaccine mandates take effect. Those truckers will get their choice of where to prioritize delivery of goods to, and it won't be places that look down their noses at them and call them deplorable and other such names.

I was in Target in Lower Manhattan today and there was ZERO paper towels or toilet paper on the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 115September 12, 2021 5:01 AM

Pestilence? Check....Famine is next, but not for the rich. There is a reason BILLIONAIRES are desperately trying to get off Earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 12, 2021 7:03 AM

Manhattan Target stores are the worst. Empty shelves in every department.

by Anonymousreply 117September 12, 2021 8:36 AM

No empty shelves by me , just fewer choices in some aisles (soda, canned tomatoes, condiments)

by Anonymousreply 118September 12, 2021 3:58 PM

Haha poor Britain, the empire has falling again. You wanted out and now you're out, deal with it. Bleached salmonella infested chicken coming to a Tesco near you! This link was from CNN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 12, 2021 4:05 PM

Two weekends ago we were in Lancaster county, PA. Fields of corn everywhere. I'm not that afraid of going hungry.

That's one thing about the USA: There is food everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 120September 14, 2021 12:22 AM

R120, Good to know.

by Anonymousreply 121September 14, 2021 1:11 AM

R120- Yes, the USA has food all over. But is it for direct human consumption. Is that corn in Pennsylvania for human consumption or is it for animals that humans then eat. The Midwest and Plains are full of food for animals but most isn’t meant for people to eat.

by Anonymousreply 122September 15, 2021 9:12 PM

I cannot find push pop any where in stores, I will have to order online. They are for my nephews and nieces.

by Anonymousreply 123September 16, 2021 7:08 PM

Inexpensive men’s masturbation sleeves are almost impossible to find at reasonable prices online right now. It’s such a common toy but it’s so hard to find right now. I want one with a closed end, which makes it even harder (most are just open sleeves, with holes on both ends).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 16, 2021 7:13 PM

Can you use food stamps on toilet paper? And paper towels? I don’t think so.

Truckers have no say where they make deliveries.

by Anonymousreply 125September 16, 2021 7:28 PM

R125, No, but in Massachusetts you can use food stamps to purchase a birthday cake, provided at least 50% of the cake is edible and not decorative.

by Anonymousreply 126September 16, 2021 8:29 PM

I just heard some kids talking today about how they can't get chicken tenders at Dairy Queen or KFC right now. They took them off the menu because of a chicken shortage.

by Anonymousreply 127September 16, 2021 10:45 PM

I think I saw push pops at Five Below.

by Anonymousreply 128September 17, 2021 3:22 AM

It's only getting worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 21, 2021 8:52 PM

A recliner I ordered six months ago is being delivered this Thursday.

I have never waited six months for any piece of furniture.

by Anonymousreply 130September 21, 2021 9:01 PM

Where do you people live? Sylhet, Bangladesh?

The last time Walmart was out of anything I needed was 16 months ago and that was bleach.

Walmart, Dollar General and my local grocery store has everything I have needed since May 2020.

by Anonymousreply 131September 21, 2021 9:18 PM

Boar's Head deli products are suddenly unavailable in Massachusetts and I'm assuming elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 132September 22, 2021 1:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!