Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Datalounge - what in the FUCK is going on with EVERYTHING being out of stock or unavailable?

I don't mean to sound like a crass material-craving American, but for over a year now everything we need for our house is either "out of stock" or months in the making. The refrigerator ordered in December, made in the U.S., arrived just last Thursday. Home Depot, the king of shitty, poorly made crap shows nearly every item online as "unavailable for pick-up or delivery". Just this morning I was trying to order some cheap ass replacement cushions for my patio sofa and two chairs. Just normal crap you would want to pick up in the summertime. Nothing. It's all "out of stock" or "unavailable". Whole Foods, constantly out of this or that. Out local WF has really gone to shit. Nasty bathrooms, increasingly empty shelves. Recently tried to order some basic Hanes tees that I wear under my shirts for work. I ordered from two websites. Both came back a week later, refunded my order and told me they were "unavailable". Add this to the constant, every-where-you-go excuse of "Oh sorry, we're just so busy because of COVID", or, "we close early/don't have that/can't do that because of COVID" nonsense, and none of it really adds up. Is this all due to a global supply chain issue or has something greatly shifted that they aren't telling us? People started buying more during COVID, but it's been over a fucking year now and things aren't normal . :-(

by Anonymousreply 316June 19, 2022 5:36 AM

New knee pads are the rage now that things are opening up.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2021 4:12 PM

I haven't had this problem, everything I ordered has arrived, only one thing was late. I also haven't bought toilet paper since I hoarded last year.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 4:15 PM

The retailers of the world have decided they're just not that into you OP.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 4:15 PM

In the 90s, business school taught the gospel of “just in time” inventory. Like businesses saving money for a rainy day, the idea of preparing for downturns was wiped off the map. Capitalism encourages short term gains or long term planning. Don’t think anyone cares about you, the customer. Businesses pay less tax, run out of money then file bankruptcy and walk away and have no responsibility to society. Yet they are running our lives.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 4:17 PM

Watch this excellent video, OP. It explains it well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 4:21 PM

Didnt covid stall out production?

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 4:23 PM

Why would people still shit in public bathroom these days? It's just too disgusting for me.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 4:23 PM

I can’t say I have waited for months OP but I have noticed things take longer to receive or cost much more and I live in a large metropolitan city where I was used to getting Amazon delivery in a few hours.

My stove broke a few weeks ago and I had few choices for a slide in and ended up buying what was in stock for delivery which took a week in comparison with the past where I had lots of appliances to choose from and delivered at most within 48 hours.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 4:25 PM

I hear you OP - I've seen the same thing.

Even Target doesn't keep their shelves stocked and are out of items for MONTHS at a time.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 4:27 PM

My neighbor is a home builder and he's dead in the water on several projects because he can't get plywood, doors, windows, etc. Another neighbor puts metal roofs on commercial buildings and hasn't worked three out of the last six weeks because he can't get materials.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 4:33 PM

R8, Inside Edition aired a segment last week on how customers needing appliances are buying floor models out of desperation.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 4:34 PM

There is currently about a 60,000 deficit in truck drivers in the U.S.

I would get a CDL license if I was young, single and had no pets. Travel, good money, work independently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 4:36 PM

Target refuses to deliver70% of its household stock. It says “check in stores” under most anything you want to order that yiu routineky buy, like hand soap, detergent, cat food, personal items, etc. You never get a coupon for online shopping because they want you to pick it up at the store. “Get $10 coupon if you order pickup at your local store.”

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2021 4:36 PM

I'm circling the drain. Stock up on canned goods.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2021 4:38 PM

r5 his narration is so fucking annoying though. Punchable voice

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2021 4:38 PM

R12, I'd have a problem remaining awake for all those hours behind the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2021 4:39 PM

COVID is part of it, but I just saw an article about this somewhere.

Increasingly, big corporations are keeping leaner inventories and making customers wait. This used to only happen at furniture retailers when they needed to specially make an item. We tried to get small things at stores like Crate and Barrel, CB2, West Elm etc and they are all on backorder until year end.

But yeah, it's a thing. One more thing to make shareholders money and fuck over regular people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2021 4:40 PM

[quote] My neighbor is a home builder and he's dead in the water on several projects because he can't get plywood, doors, windows, etc.

We tried to get a new front door a few months ago and were asking about options and they said, just so you know, anything ordered now arrives in January.

We gave up.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2021 4:41 PM

[quote]We tried to get small things at stores like Crate and Barrel, CB2, West Elm etc and they are all on backorder until year end.

Yes, a friend of mine ordered a living room couch and chair at a local furniture retailer last month and the lead time is 10 months.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 4:43 PM

There are definite shortages of materials and construction workers where I live but mostly it's from the three major wildfires since 2017 destroying thousands of homes and buildings.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2021 4:44 PM

I’ve noticed this too, OP. I can only order my dog food online because Petco and Petsmart are out if it in store. it’s in stock nowhere and it’s not some fancy brand. Six months I’ve been waiting for a pillow to be in stock because the In Stock date keeps being pushed out.

So many things like picture frames, towels—many items I’ve wanted to order are always out of stock. It was not like this pre-COVID and it’s frustrating as hell. Sometimes it’s just basic stuff I can’t get. I’m tired of it.

The two hardest items to secure before they’re out of stock again? Low fat, organic yogurt other than plain or vanilla and Kashi 7 grain waffles. Getting these two items is like a lottery.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2021 4:47 PM

I occasionally enjoy a diet soda, one that is not one of the handful of major brands/names, and it is almost never in stock.

I understood it at the height of the pandemic, but I think now we're going to see many brands discontinued. Companies can just hide behind the pandemic.

This goes along with the constant raise the price/shrink the package stuff, and how so many clothing items are getting more and more poorly constructed. (Something happened with men's underwear a few years ago where literally every brand changed their design or materials, both main material and waistband, and it's noticeable.)

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2021 4:51 PM

r21, it's SUPER easy to make your own low fat yogurt- I make my dog a half gallon of it every week. I don't know if that's something you'd be interested in but maybe if you continue to have issues?

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2021 4:55 PM

Strangely, I can’t get catfish right now. I had an out of town guest who wanted it for a meal. One restaurant chain completely took it off the menu and said it would be at least September before it was available. Couldn’t find any at grocery stores, either.

I know it’s not a huge thing, and I won’t miss it, I just found it odd. Also, many restaurants are unable to meet the demand for chicken wings and have taken them off the menu

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote]I would get a CDL license if I was young, single and had no pets. Travel, good money, work independently...

...truck stop blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2021 4:57 PM

We ordered a new bed in March and had to wait six weeks for delivery. Slumberland said it was because of the cold snap in Texas and something about a plant being behind on making foam. We also looked at a chair and table and both would have been a six month wait. The reason for that was simply being behind because of Covid.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2021 5:04 PM

My stereo receiver died last fall. I immediately researched new models and chose two that would be acceptable. Nobody anywhere had either of them available and had no idea when they may become available again. By the end of 2020, I gave up and stopped looking, thinking I'd just wait it out. I think it's about time to start looking around again. On the other hand, if I were willing or able to spend $4,000+ for a receiver, I could get one of those right now.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2021 5:15 PM

I can't find Lee Press-Ons.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2021 5:19 PM

one of the reasons is that thousands of Chinese companies went bankrupt during the pandemic. There will be a lot of things that are never coming back.

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2021 5:29 PM

The bottom line of R5's posted video is that the supply chain was disrupted by the confluence of a recession ending in Asia just as Covid halted everything in the West, but since I couldn't stomach the slow pace of that video (which goes to the weakness of presenting such data in a video format — good for slow people, frustrating for those who developed critical thinking skills and the ability to quickly skim pertinent points to glean the relevant facts) I don't know if they got to the root cause of the issue, which is pretty simply: Trump fucked us. Not trying to devolve the thread into just blaming Trump, but the issues were all there from the beginning (that is, the actual beginning of the pandemic at the end of 2019) and Trump neither acted nor reacted, and due to his outsized influence on "the party of business," they sat on their hands afraid to offend the great orange one by pointing out and working on basic facts.

To wit, as R4 points out, just in time inventory is a great system so long as the supply chain is uninterrupted. The system is built to handle (with some pain, but nevertheless...) recessionary behavior. In fact, JIT was conceived to handle recessions with less risk; it's just that no one predicted the obvious, that if there ever was a crisis, all that we'd have available would be the daily inventory waiting for Joe Consumer to push his cart down the aisle and select the item. Despite that we've seen scarcity and shortages on specific goods since JIT supply chain economics became a thing (remember the shortage of Cabbage Patch Kids in the 80s?), business assumed that government would be there, be responsible, and could and would handle a preventable crisis. Then we elected the least experienced, bankruptcy-laden and poorest billionaire imaginable, who then proceeded to hollow out government at a pace unlike any time in history, leaving is without leadership, experience, and experts capable of mitigating the crisis. It's an overused cliché, but business schools will be studying the period between January 2017 and June 2021 for the next 50 years to figure out how we went from a thriving expanding economy to one plagued by shortages, scarcity and inflation.

The next time you hear someone bitch about Democrats abandoning working people in favor or business interests, keep the pandemic and the resultant impacts we're facing in mind because getting the products into working people's hands when they need them is dependent on business interests doing their jobs. Without leadership and a strong Federal government, business is not going to risk profits for any reason. It took electing Biden to motivate business to solve the problems; for example, despite the obvious free money Trump threw at them with the failed Operation Warp Speed, Merck didn't voluntarily agree to help Johnson and Johnson produce a vaccine. It was Biden suggesting either they worked together or the Federal government would deploy the Defense Production Act, seize the assets and personnel, and do it for them.

It's the same story told over and over since the end of World War II: Democrats build things up, Republicans tear them down. That a worldwide crisis happened under a GOP-controlled US government just compounded the tragedy, misery and pain.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2021 6:02 PM

[quote]but since I couldn't stomach the slow pace of that video

Much as I felt about the verbosity of your post r30.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2021 6:24 PM

[quote] verbosity

If there was ever a "you type fat" moment, that was it.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2021 6:53 PM

Here's a hint for you, 30. YouTube allows you to adjust playback speed so you can listen faster if you want. Click the gear-shaped Settings link to find it. I'm afraid it can't help more with your ADD.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2021 7:16 PM

Welcome to New Russia.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2021 7:19 PM

I don't know where you people are living. How much more crap do you need? I keep buying crap because it's cheap or whatever but I don't need more crap. If something breaks you can usually get one on craigslist or ebay. We got a dvd player for $2.99 at Goodwill. The only thing I have a problem getting is specific flavors of cat food. I assume it's because everybody's cats like the same flavors and the stores and cat food companies haven't caught on yet.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2021 8:14 PM

Calm down, R35. Items such as furniture and mattresses which need replacing, are considered necessities, not crap. As for previously owned furniture and electronics, bedding and upholstered furniture are best purchased new.

Much of Craigslist's current offerings are from people getting rid of their poorly-maintained belongings at ridiculously inflated prices; yes, they are price-gouging in response to the shortages.

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2021 9:24 PM

I have to buy our cat's Fancy Feast online now from Chewy.com It's close to the store price and free delivery in a couple days. Stores don't have it.

I received 3 cases today and noticed it's made in Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2021 10:40 PM

Starbucks hit hard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2021 10:59 PM

R38 Fat Whores Recoil!

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2021 12:34 AM

Sounds like a lot of work r39.

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2021 8:31 AM

Shipping container shortages.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2021 8:45 AM

[quote] remember the shortage of Cabbage Patch Kids in the 80s?

Not a good example. The Cabbage Patch Kids shortage was because buyers did not order the dolls at Toy Fair. The dolls were considered ugly, and buyers did not place orders. Coleco produced dolls based on the Toy Fair orders. When the commercial hit in November, kids went crazy. Nobody was prepared for the success of the dolls.

by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2021 8:58 AM

R12, my friend's barber quit to become a truck driver

by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2021 9:01 AM

I’ve noticed at my local Walmart they have been out of lots of shit the past few weeks and lots of empty shelves. Everything had been normal until recently.

by Anonymousreply 44September 1, 2021 9:22 PM

Who, in this scenario, has a big dick?

by Anonymousreply 45September 1, 2021 10:00 PM

Maybe the everything on demand life is over for us. If you want something, you have to wait a bit. You might not be able to reliably get all 50 items you want at your supermarket the day you go there. There's a lot of waste and overproduction that goes into 100% availability all of the time. When the economy contracts, as it inevitably will at some point in the next 1-10 years, things will be more available.

by Anonymousreply 46September 1, 2021 11:12 PM

My washing machine (came with the house when I bought it) started making funny noises a couple weeks ago. I googled the model number, and it is from 1986 (the year the house was built)! I am shocked that it lasted this long. I have only been in this house for 3 years. In any case, I have ordered TWO sets from Costco that have been cancelled right before delivery. I just placed a third order, and customer service assures me that this one will stick. Such a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 47September 1, 2021 11:19 PM

[R46], your post makes a lot of sense. Things have changed, maybe not forever, but one gets used to things as they are. Thank Christ the books I order on abe are always here in a reasonable amount of time.

by Anonymousreply 48September 1, 2021 11:21 PM

Op: wah wah a spoiled American has spoken! I want what I want and I want it now!

by Anonymousreply 49September 1, 2021 11:24 PM

Whole Foods= planned obsolescence= customers order everything through the Amazon portal.

I gave up on WF, pre-pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 50September 1, 2021 11:29 PM

I'm an American and I want my cheap crap, yesterday.

Still won't use Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 51September 1, 2021 11:32 PM

R49 and R51, kindly fuck yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 52September 1, 2021 11:36 PM

Where do folks live that are having supply and delivery issues? I am in Phoenix and the stores seem full. Yesterday went in a Target and saw a bunch of empty shelves, and thought oh no. But the employees said they were making room for the Christmas crap. My partner has been ordering furniture and it’s been coming in on time and about same timeframe as pre Covid - a few weeks.

The refrigerator has been making noises so I think it is time to replace so looking to take advantage of Costco’s LG Labor Day sale. The noted wait time is 2 weeks. After I order Hoping not to be like an upstream response who said his/her/its order was postponed or canceled.

Family and friends in California (Northern and Southern) and Western Nevada also haven’t noticed any issues with stock or availability. Maybe the further you are from the west coast ports it becomes more noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 53September 1, 2021 11:48 PM

Saw some empty shelves in the Gatorade aisle today at my local Tom Thumb (Safeway), but they were in the middle of restocking everything.

by Anonymousreply 54September 1, 2021 11:52 PM

Meh. I stay on WISH.

by Anonymousreply 55September 1, 2021 11:53 PM

A stereo receiver? Go to the Goodwill. They have tons of that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 56September 1, 2021 11:58 PM

Sounds good ta me.

by Anonymousreply 57September 2, 2021 12:01 AM

I am waiting for some items that I ordered back in May. There was supposed to be a delay until June but now it’s September. I’m just going to ask for my money to be reimbursed before I start filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau.

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2021 12:28 AM

R54 - Gatorade shelves bare here in FL as well. Is that something paranoid "preppers" have monopolized?

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2021 12:47 AM

It's been a long, hot summer, R59.

by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2021 1:01 AM

Kroger was out of Braunschweiger (liverwurst). What am I supposed to wrap Fluffy’s dog pills in now?

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2021 1:12 AM

Known to clear a dive bar (or supermarket shelf) faster than you can say "WTF!!??"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2021 1:13 AM

I just went to get St Germain elderflower liquor. They were stocked out because of high demand low supply due to Covid. It simple is not civilized.

by Anonymousreply 63September 2, 2021 1:16 AM

OP, All the stuff you need are on container ships stuck off the California coast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2021 1:27 AM

I can’t get my poop medicine because there is a shortage of inulin. Yes I know….TMI….

by Anonymousreply 65September 2, 2021 1:29 AM

Need my stuff, this will not do.

by Anonymousreply 66September 2, 2021 1:33 AM

The Walmart in town always has low stock or no stock in the grocery section. Oddly, the 2 other grocery stores in town are not as affected by shortages.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2021 1:45 AM

i haven't been able to buy fancy feast in weeks. my cats need their food!

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2021 2:03 AM

[quote]Gatorade shelves bare here in FL as well. Is that something paranoid "preppers" have monopolized?

R59, I think it may be that many people in our states (TX & FL) are sick and using Gatorade to replenish electrolytes.

by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2021 2:26 AM

you guys better stock up and stuff you need and if you need to send packages for xmas etc, better start packing and mailing them.

Last year, I sent a box of xmas gifts to UK in early Dec, the box didn't arrive until march. Everybody was sending packages and the post office was swamped.

by Anonymousreply 70September 2, 2021 2:48 AM

[quote] In the 90s, business school taught the gospel of “just in time” inventory. Like businesses saving money for a rainy day, the idea of preparing for downturns was wiped off the map. Capitalism encourages short term gains or long term planning.

Yes, Apple follows that policy. Those Chinese like to play as servants for the time being.

by Anonymousreply 71September 2, 2021 2:52 AM

R44

[quote] I’ve noticed at my local Walmart they have been out of lots of shit

It disappears when you press the button on your toilet-cistern.

by Anonymousreply 72September 2, 2021 2:56 AM

Have you asked to speak with a Manager, OP?

by Anonymousreply 73September 2, 2021 2:57 AM

r61, cream cheese or pub cheese. Never fails.

by Anonymousreply 74September 2, 2021 2:58 AM

R68, try chewy.com. I have a cat who will eat only one flavor, and no one has carried it for months. Chewy has it and it's cheaper than the stores and they offer free delivery.

by Anonymousreply 75September 2, 2021 8:01 AM

Can’t get the meds any longer for my dog’s collapsed trachea. No supply until further notice per the 12 pharmacies in my area. My vet is trying to work with a compounding pharmacy to help the 30-40 dog patients get their meds monthly. What a pain in the ass!

by Anonymousreply 76September 2, 2021 11:01 AM

Okay, tell me what you are looking for, and I will tell you where to find it.

by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2021 1:36 AM

GM announced this week that they are suspending production due to the lack of chips needed for vehicles' computers.

by Anonymousreply 78September 5, 2021 4:16 AM

You should be boycotting whole foods OP.

by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2021 6:52 AM

R76: Have you tried the Costco pharmacy?

by Anonymousreply 80September 5, 2021 3:10 PM

R80 yes and no luck - ugh!

by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2021 4:57 PM

There is no need to consciously boycott WF, the quality slipped after the Amazon takeover.It's not worth shopping there, literally and figuratively.

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2021 5:00 PM

I used to shop at Whole Foods for maybe 75% of my groceries, but they became so annoying during the pandemic, I don't go at all anymore. I'm not boycotting. It's just that I realize my local chain supermarket has everything I need. I don't drive, so I do get some things delivered by Amazon, like toilet paper, paper towels, cases of Cento tomatoes, a case of De Cecco cavatappi because it had such a ridiculously low price one day and I use it all the time. But mostly I go to the local chain supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 83September 5, 2021 8:36 PM

I tell you what's unavailable right now. those at home covid tests. I've been trying to buy one but it's not available anywhere and the manager tells me that people are buying them in bulk!

by Anonymousreply 84September 9, 2021 7:39 PM

The world doesn't revolve around you, OP. Stop picking out shitty things no one wants.

by Anonymousreply 85September 9, 2021 7:45 PM

We ordered outdoor furniture in January. After we paid for it we were told the fabric we picked wouldn't be available until DECEMBER! We were told fabrics were not available, break in the supply chain, blah, blah, blah. Went back and selected a different fabric based on a list we asked for of all the fabrics and dates of availability. Selected one that was the earliest available, in JULY. In July we were told it was pushed back until September.

Supposedly our furniture is now on a ship somewhere and will arrive end of September. I don't expect to see any of it until the new year.

All blamed on COVID. I think COVID was an issue at one point, but now COVID is just a convenient stall tactic or explanation for inability to produce what's been ordered and paid for.

Ultimately it's first world problems. Our life will go on with the old deck furniture.

But it is part of the new new.

by Anonymousreply 86September 9, 2021 11:26 PM

Can't find the at home covid test either.

by Anonymousreply 87September 9, 2021 11:42 PM

There's been articles about this OP. Welcome to the new order: a world where the First World begins to suffer Third World shortages and delays. Get ready for a lot more of it: the world you grew up with is ending.

by Anonymousreply 88September 9, 2021 11:44 PM

Okay, I believe my sister was able to buy covid tests in Seattle, but we don't talk much. So go to Seattle for those. For the patio furniture, that's a different story. If you want it NOW you have to buy what's in stock.

Now, ask some more. What else can't you guys find?

by Anonymousreply 89September 9, 2021 11:48 PM

I read recently that there was another delay of container ship somewhere on the west coast? I can't remember, I was scanning the headlines and didn't pay much attention but definitely stock up on things you don't want to run out of.

by Anonymousreply 90September 9, 2021 11:52 PM

Shipping delays caused by full cargo ships waiting to unload along West Coast

The delays are due to continuing backups to unload cargo ships at West Coast ports, including in Seattle and Tacoma.

SEATTLE — You may not find everything you want for Christmas this year, or at least you’ll wait a bit longer to get some things, as shipping delays continue up and down the West Coast.

The delays are due to ongoing backups to unload cargo ships at West Coast ports, including the Northwest Seaport Alliance, which operates the cargo portions of the ports of Seattle and Tacoma.

Ships that arrive in the inland waters of Puget Sound are finding themselves anchored from seven to 10 days before they can tie up and offload, and that’s on top of delays they may have already experienced at a previous stop, such as the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

“Then once they’re unloaded, there is some delay in getting onto rail cars or onto trucks, simply because every part of our system is being challenged with this large import demand that we’re seeing,” said Melanie Stambaugh with the Northwest Seaport Alliance.

The situation has been building about a year, in part because of increased demand on imports due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Retailers said they knew problems were coming, as did manufacturers. Those who could stepped up production to get products out the door in August, rather than wait for the more traditional months of September and October, when much of the rush for Christmas-related imports is in full swing.

“I think everybody is aware of the congestion problem challenging the West Coast ports,” said Stambaugh.

But it's not just Christmas merchandise that's impacted.

Greg Whittaker, who owns Mountain to Sound Outfitters in West Seattle, said the suppliers of skis, snowboards and other winter sports gear were notifying him in July that they were working on plans to get product to him on time.

Whittaker said he's expecting to have 70% of his inventory in stock for the upcoming ski season, but is concerned that as much as 30% could be delayed by an extra two or three weeks. Whittaker said those delays could be very specific, such as certain items that come in a variety of sizes, more than broad categories of products.

One issue driving the problem is that there is a shortage of containers in Asia.

Containers in the U.S. are often shipped back empty, instead of being made available to ship more U.S. exports. The Seaport Alliance said in some cases too many containers are backed up on docks and in terminals and can’t be put onto trains heading to inland distribution cities in the Midwest quickly enough. That is one reason why many ships have to lay at anchor waiting to come in.

The Seaport Alliance is expecting the situation may resolve itself around the end of 2021.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 9, 2021 11:54 PM

between covid and thousands of companies going bankrupt in China there are lots of shortages. Because of the shortage on computer chips they said 2 days ago that there is going to be a huge shortage of appliances. Unfortunately I need a new stove, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer and maybe a refrigerator. All my appliances except the refrigerator are from the 1990's. I am not sure how much longer I can make them last.

by Anonymousreply 92September 10, 2021 12:01 AM

R92, where are you located? We are in NJ and have been finding most of our large appliances on those websites like Offer Up or whatever. You need to have a truck though. We are cheap as hell.

by Anonymousreply 93September 10, 2021 12:08 AM

I lucked out 2 months ago and found a fridge (last one) in a Lowes after calling every single appliance and hardware store in my area. I wasnt going to buy some used piece of shit to go into the house I just bought. Even then it took 3 weeks to get it delivered .That dirty fuck we bought our house from had apparently had the one in here rigged to barely last .When it started to go out we called a repairman who showed me that it had been rigged with some part that was temporary only. He said we were lucky it lasted a month. Its crazy times we are living in.

by Anonymousreply 94September 10, 2021 12:22 AM

Gee,maybe if we still made things here like we used to this wouldnt be an issue?

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2021 12:23 AM

Exactly R95. It definitely wouldn't be an issue because no one would be able to afford anything made in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2021 12:27 AM

We will not ever make very many things like appliances ever again. It's too expensive to pay Americans, they say, to manufacture things. They would have to pay well and give insurance, vacation etc. The poors in the world will work like animals for nothing. IT'S NEVER COMING BACK, so get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2021 12:35 AM

I haven't noticed a difference

by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2021 12:35 AM

I have complaining about this for ages. No taco sauce. No Cat Litter. No Cinnamon Rolls. Beets shortage. I have noticed a surplus of hillbillies coughing at Kroger--so plenty of coughs at most stores. . So that...

by Anonymousreply 99September 10, 2021 12:43 AM

[quote]No Cinnamon Rolls.

I got cinnamon rolls today at Panera.

by Anonymousreply 100September 10, 2021 12:45 AM

R100 = Am am talking Grocery Store Shortages.

by Anonymousreply 101September 10, 2021 12:49 AM

I finally found a covid home test kit at Walgreens but only can buy 1 per person.

by Anonymousreply 102September 10, 2021 12:57 AM

Crap, crap and MORE crap! That's all I have to say.

by Anonymousreply 103September 10, 2021 12:58 AM

Seems like a lot of stuff is stale too. Like packaged items. Bread even.

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2021 1:08 AM

r62, Back at you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2021 1:16 AM

Eventually, quite a bit of foriegn manufacturing will be shifted back as robotic and 3-D printed manufacturing becomes more common. Case in point, Tesla which is building huge robotic factories in the US, Europe and Asia precisely to minimize shipping, tariffs, and shortages.

Affordable 3-D printing will also allow for manufacturing of smaller goods locally.

by Anonymousreply 106September 10, 2021 1:17 AM

Everything seems to take longer here in the UK also.

With the exception of Covid test kits (which are Free). They just keep sending them randomly without request, we have about 15 each currently.

by Anonymousreply 107September 10, 2021 1:23 AM

R102 = Covid tests are free at the library. In Ohio you just go and they will give you a box of Covid Home Test. I thought it was a national thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 10, 2021 3:16 AM

The shortages of consumer goods might be PERMANENT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 12, 2021 2:50 AM

It’s time to bring back businesses down to the mom and pop level and that goes for supply chains too.

Now would be a good time to start.

by Anonymousreply 110September 12, 2021 3:03 AM

they went through brexit, then they have global Covid pandemic. Even with just Brexit, Britain would have this problem. Too bad the Tories fucked over there own people and did what the Russian Oligarchy wanted instead.

by Anonymousreply 111September 12, 2021 3:45 AM

This was going on before the Pandemic, just not on this level. The Government and the stores are not going to panic people and use the words "food shortage" but when you see an empty shelf at the store, that is by definition what food shortage is. Also part of this is Food Stamps were increased 18 months ago for millions so that is also contributing to a shortage.

by Anonymousreply 112September 12, 2021 4:02 AM

Eat. Paste. R113

by Anonymousreply 114September 12, 2021 4:57 AM

[quote]Look for this to get worse as President Mr. Magoo's vaccine mandates take effect. Those truckers will get their choice of where to prioritize delivery of goods to, and it won't be places that look down their noses at them and call them deplorable and other such names.

I was in Target in Lower Manhattan today and there was ZERO paper towels or toilet paper on the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 115September 12, 2021 5:01 AM

Pestilence? Check....Famine is next, but not for the rich. There is a reason BILLIONAIRES are desperately trying to get off Earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 12, 2021 7:03 AM

Manhattan Target stores are the worst. Empty shelves in every department.

by Anonymousreply 117September 12, 2021 8:36 AM

No empty shelves by me , just fewer choices in some aisles (soda, canned tomatoes, condiments)

by Anonymousreply 118September 12, 2021 3:58 PM

Haha poor Britain, the empire has falling again. You wanted out and now you're out, deal with it. Bleached salmonella infested chicken coming to a Tesco near you! This link was from CNN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 12, 2021 4:05 PM

Two weekends ago we were in Lancaster county, PA. Fields of corn everywhere. I'm not that afraid of going hungry.

That's one thing about the USA: There is food everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 120September 14, 2021 12:22 AM

R120, Good to know.

by Anonymousreply 121September 14, 2021 1:11 AM

R120- Yes, the USA has food all over. But is it for direct human consumption. Is that corn in Pennsylvania for human consumption or is it for animals that humans then eat. The Midwest and Plains are full of food for animals but most isn’t meant for people to eat.

by Anonymousreply 122September 15, 2021 9:12 PM

I cannot find push pop any where in stores, I will have to order online. They are for my nephews and nieces.

by Anonymousreply 123September 16, 2021 7:08 PM

Inexpensive men’s masturbation sleeves are almost impossible to find at reasonable prices online right now. It’s such a common toy but it’s so hard to find right now. I want one with a closed end, which makes it even harder (most are just open sleeves, with holes on both ends).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 16, 2021 7:13 PM

Can you use food stamps on toilet paper? And paper towels? I don’t think so.

Truckers have no say where they make deliveries.

by Anonymousreply 125September 16, 2021 7:28 PM

R125, No, but in Massachusetts you can use food stamps to purchase a birthday cake, provided at least 50% of the cake is edible and not decorative.

by Anonymousreply 126September 16, 2021 8:29 PM

I just heard some kids talking today about how they can't get chicken tenders at Dairy Queen or KFC right now. They took them off the menu because of a chicken shortage.

by Anonymousreply 127September 16, 2021 10:45 PM

I think I saw push pops at Five Below.

by Anonymousreply 128September 17, 2021 3:22 AM

It's only getting worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 21, 2021 8:52 PM

A recliner I ordered six months ago is being delivered this Thursday.

I have never waited six months for any piece of furniture.

by Anonymousreply 130September 21, 2021 9:01 PM

Where do you people live? Sylhet, Bangladesh?

The last time Walmart was out of anything I needed was 16 months ago and that was bleach.

Walmart, Dollar General and my local grocery store has everything I have needed since May 2020.

by Anonymousreply 131September 21, 2021 9:18 PM

Boar's Head deli products are suddenly unavailable in Massachusetts and I'm assuming elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 132September 22, 2021 1:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 8, 2021 11:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 8, 2021 11:44 PM

That damn Biden presiding over an economy so hot that there are tons of job openings and hot demand. A shonder!

by Anonymousreply 135October 8, 2021 11:53 PM

It's not about Biden. Stop being defensive.

by Anonymousreply 136October 9, 2021 12:02 AM

There are routinely empty shelves everywhere I go, in my neighborhood. (Manhattan, upper East). Perhaps it’s that there aren’t enough people to stock the shelves. At my Whole Foods, there are usually five cashiers working, and the line is super long. It’s like Soviet Russia sometimes. I’ll have a list of seven things, and come home with four or five.

by Anonymousreply 137October 9, 2021 12:10 AM

My cats still need their Fancy Feast. Friskies isn't cutting it.

by Anonymousreply 138October 9, 2021 12:10 AM

Safeway was out of Pledge today.

by Anonymousreply 139October 9, 2021 12:31 AM

Pete needs to get a handle on this.

by Anonymousreply 140October 9, 2021 2:04 AM

I was on jury duty earlier this week, and one of the jurors worked at a Walmart distribution center. She said if there’s an order placed for say, 10,000 cases of canned green beans, they’re only receiving about a quarter of it, week after week. So they’re never catching up on their lack of inventory.

(I know some of you will scream, “I would NEVER buy canned green beans!”, but it was just an example she used.)

by Anonymousreply 141October 9, 2021 3:28 AM

R138: are you on the east coast? I wish there were some way to communicate directly, because my area petshop has cases and individual cans of Fancy Feast.

by Anonymousreply 142October 9, 2021 7:35 PM

Also, the shoplifters are cleaning out the fucking stores. you've all seen the videos, they just grab the shit and walk out the door, they don't even run.

by Anonymousreply 143October 9, 2021 8:58 PM

I'm most worried about cat food being missing from the shelves. Obviously cats can't eat my spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 144October 9, 2021 9:45 PM

Chewy.com for cat food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 10, 2021 6:29 AM

I don’t understand it either. Is there a labor shortage? Or are staff being laid off due to less sales. It feels like everyone flipped off working, but they are buying up a storm - even with these astronomical prices! How are they buying everything up and not working? Do they all live off the stock market? The news reported that cargo ships are backed up because there aren’t enough stevedores. Can anyone please explain?

by Anonymousreply 146October 10, 2021 9:27 AM

Whatsa matter you, r144?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 10, 2021 2:27 PM

yes, there is a shortage of workers in most industries. cargo ships that takes forever to unload cargo, lack of truck drivers to drive goods to destinations, etc etc...you can imagine.

by Anonymousreply 148October 10, 2021 3:07 PM

it's the broken supply chain. I was watching a segment on CNBC and they explained the whole thing. here is the video you can check it out yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149October 10, 2021 3:14 PM

Both me and my sister (who lives in another state) couldn't find sriracha sauce this week.

Very upsetting situation.

by Anonymousreply 150October 10, 2021 3:21 PM

they are saying the cargo ship congestion situation is gonna last until next year. Also there is a power crunch in China, it might slow down manufacturing in China. So definitely stock up on the shit you need now.

I noticed my eye drops that I use are missing from CVS. they don't lock up the item so I guess the fucking thieves are stealing them.

by Anonymousreply 151October 10, 2021 3:23 PM

I think it depends on the country you live in.

The US, the UK and Australia are the only ones having these problems.

by Anonymousreply 152October 10, 2021 3:27 PM

Why is it happening now? We managed ok for 18 months. People want to buy more crap?

by Anonymousreply 153October 10, 2021 3:47 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 10, 2021 5:51 PM

I haven't noticed any shortages at my local Tom Thumb (Safeway) or Walmart online here in N. Texas.

by Anonymousreply 155October 11, 2021 1:36 AM

This is why we all need to try to go local when and where possible.

by Anonymousreply 156October 11, 2021 1:51 AM

This is what happens when you require people to inject random shit into their bodies that they don't want. Simpletons don't get it, but will soon.

by Anonymousreply 157October 11, 2021 4:37 AM

Are there any DL truck drivers that care to share why there is a driver shortage? I keep hearing about the shortage but not about the reasons.

by Anonymousreply 158October 11, 2021 4:44 AM

I try to make myself care about this but I just don't. My stores seem fine, or fine enough. I don't have to buy a lot of stuff and there's plenty of stuff available.

I'm getting a very distinct "the sky is falling" vibe from this.

by Anonymousreply 159October 11, 2021 4:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160October 11, 2021 4:51 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161October 11, 2021 4:52 AM

What about clothing and similar items? I wanted to buy a new LL Bean backpack. Usually they have a variety of colors to choose from but when I checked the website there were only three solid and two prints.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162October 11, 2021 4:55 AM

I was at Vons today looking for Cheeto Puffs for a FRIEND in the hospital and the snack food aisle was scant. This is not a good day for all you fat whores on DL. They keep saying they are "remodeling" hence the low food supply. Also, said grocery store took out half of the staffed check out lines and replaced them with the self serve. It's the worst if you have produce or want to buy alcohol when looking barely legal!

by Anonymousreply 163October 11, 2021 7:41 AM

Cheeto shortage??? Truck apocalypse!!! Hold me David!

by Anonymousreply 164October 11, 2021 11:55 AM

R131- You shop at the shittiest places.

by Anonymousreply 165October 11, 2021 12:15 PM

My corner CVS in Manhattan is pitifully bare, like the photo in the paper. Fairway and Whole Foods have lots of empty shelves and random items unavailable.

Out here at the end of Long Island, the CVS hasn’t a bare spot. However, there seems to be a labor shortage in restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 166October 11, 2021 12:57 PM

Seems like the truckers are purposely under delivering to blue areas to make democrats look bad wile keep the shelves stocked in red areas.

by Anonymousreply 167October 11, 2021 5:17 PM

America's bare shelves: Walmart and Costco limit toilet paper sales while toy companies warn parents their kids' Christmas gifts won't arrive in time thanks to backlog at ports, rail yards and on the roads

by Anonymousreply 168October 11, 2021 6:06 PM

R167, truckers and rail workers are mostly deplorable types.

by Anonymousreply 169October 11, 2021 6:16 PM

I'm finding it impossible to find Coets.

by Anonymousreply 170October 11, 2021 6:21 PM

I told you bitches to shop early for Christmas. November and December are going to be a shitshow for shipping.

I'm nearly done with my shopping, and thank God.

by Anonymousreply 171October 11, 2021 6:58 PM

Truckers and longshoremen are members of the Teamsters Union, aren't they? Where's the union at on this? Where's Pete; what has he said and done about this? Seriously, what?

by Anonymousreply 172October 11, 2021 7:08 PM

there are 650 thousand containers still sitting off shore waiting to be off loaded in CA.

by Anonymousreply 173October 11, 2021 7:24 PM

Teamsters are notoriously corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 174October 11, 2021 7:25 PM

Outrageous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175October 11, 2021 7:29 PM

The video looks apocalyptic.

by Anonymousreply 176October 11, 2021 7:30 PM

[quote] I was at Vons today looking for Cheeto Puffs for a FRIEND in the hospital and the snack food aisle was scant.

I have mainly switched over to Cheetos Crunchy. Yes, I sometimes go back to the Puffs. Try the Crunchy. IMO, more cheese flavor. I get mine from Walgreens, mainly.

by Anonymousreply 177October 11, 2021 7:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178October 11, 2021 7:33 PM

[quote] I told you bitches to shop early for Christmas. November and December are going to be a shitshow for shipping.

It's been a long time since I stressed myself out over buying Christmas presents. My family stopped exchanging presents a long time ago. Last year, my sister organized a Secret Santa (just buy one gift) and I declined to participate.

I do buy "thank you" presents at random times of the year. Usually, a certificate to Amazon, if I know they shop at Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 179October 11, 2021 7:33 PM

Could Biden pull a Reagan and fire all the Teamsters (dock workers etc...) that are responsible? I'm pro union, but if the Teamsters are causing this, they need to be busted.

by Anonymousreply 180October 12, 2021 12:26 AM

I don't think a president could 'fire' a union, but a president could call declare an emergency and call up the National Guard to do those jobs.

Aren't truckers and longshoremen considered essential workers? This whole thing seems weird; I thought supplies and shipping had recovered within a few months of the initial panic buying last year? It seems like it did. Why has this deteriorated now?

by Anonymousreply 181October 12, 2021 1:57 AM

I know he couldn't fire the union, R181, but couldn't he fire the union members who are federally regulated workers if they are withholding services - eg - dockworkers, rail workers, just as Reagan fired air traffic controllers in the 80s? Truckers would be different since they're not federally regulated, of course. If these union members are doing this purposely due to the vaccine mandates, then they need to go and the union needs to be dissolved. Many, many unions are standing up to protect their anti-vax members, which is frankly disgusting. They shouldn't be allowed to hold the world hostage like they are.

by Anonymousreply 182October 12, 2021 2:06 AM

Longshoremen aren't Teamsters. They have their own union.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183October 12, 2021 12:38 PM

Fire them too, R18. They're like auto workers, no reason why they're so highly paid. If they can't handle getting the shot then they deserve to be canned.

by Anonymousreply 184October 12, 2021 2:14 PM

EVERYTHING isn't out of stock. Other than semi-conductors, which are a production capacity issue in foreign countries, nothing important is in short supply and even that isn't denying anyone anything too necessary.. Just stop buying stuff from Amazon that you don't need.

by Anonymousreply 185October 12, 2021 2:21 PM

I visited four grocery stores and drugstores looking for powder laundry detergent and Shout stain remover. Nothing. Went to Walmart.com-- and there the products were! I ordered double what I needed and thought it would be shipped. At 8pm that same day a cheerful delivery lady dropped them off on my front porch! I had no idea they meant delivery delivery-- So I gave her a big tip, and now I can do laundry. There you go. Walmart saves the day.

by Anonymousreply 186October 12, 2021 3:04 PM

Me again, R186. Of course, I went to Amazon first. The detergent was $30. On Walmart site it was $16. I never imagined I'd be a Walmart shopper, but here I am.

by Anonymousreply 187October 12, 2021 3:06 PM

There you are, r187...

by Anonymousreply 188October 12, 2021 3:09 PM

This matters more to some people than others. I'm a vegetarian but NOT a picky eater. I can eat whatever and be happy (pasta, soup, grilled cheese, whatever!). I do like Diet Coke, but I'm not going to be a broken person if I have to buy 2 liter bottles instead of cans. I could live with Diet Pepsi even though it doesn't taste very good.

The problem is the others in the house. One of our cats is an emotional wreck (I found him in a parking lot when he was very young. I had observed him for a few days and he was alone) and at this point there is only one flavor of one brand of wet cat food that he will eat. He is fat and eats plenty of dry, but he really looks forward to his wet cat food. So when that is hard to find, I feel terrible.

Daughter wants apple juice to take to school in her lunch. Not Snapple Apple or anything like that, regular ass apple juice (it would not be my choice). For some reason that is super hard to find in individual bottles. So this seems like a tragedy to those who are particular about things, but not at all to those who are like, it's food, it's toilet paper, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 189October 12, 2021 5:53 PM

I was at Trader Joe's this morning. They have not had freeze dried banana in at least six weeks. In the freezer section there were lots of empty areas.

by Anonymousreply 190October 12, 2021 5:59 PM

....but eVeRyThInG iS bAcK tO nOrMaL!

by Anonymousreply 191October 13, 2021 4:28 AM

Snarled shipping lanes could mean empty shelves come holiday shopping time

Pandemic lockdowns, followed by a burst of demand once things have opened up — along with labor shortages and extreme weather events — have all combined to wallop the global supply lines of everything from food and fashion to drinks and diapers.

Some retailers are looking to take matters into their own hands.

Craft retailer Jo-Ann Stores is floating a plan to lower its astronomical shipping costs by looking into buying its own ship, The Post has learned. A container full of goods now costs the retailer around $30,000 to ship from Asia — compared to $3,000 before the pandemic, CEO Wade Miquelon told The Post.

That’s why Miquelon said his 850 stores could join a small-but-growing number of retailers that are looking to secure their own, private freight ships.

Such a move could come in the form of buying a vessel — likely with a group of other retailers — or leasing a ship, Miquelon said.

“Those options are being looked at long-term to mitigate at least some of the risk we are facing” when it comes to the sharply rising shipping prices, he said. “We have had to spend many tens of millions of dollars” more on shipping than ever before. He declined to give details on the costs of the possible options to either buy or lease space on a ship.

“Those options are being looked at long-term to mitigate at least some of the risk we are facing” when it comes to the sharply rising shipping prices, he said. “We have had to spend many tens of millions of dollars” more on shipping than ever before. He declined to give details on the costs of the possible options to either buy or lease space on a ship.

Pre-pandemic, it was unusual for more than one ship to be  in the  waiting lane at the No. 1 US port complex, which handles more than half of all American imports.

The global sea networks handle 90 percent of the world’s trade.

U.S. retailers’ traditional lifeline from Asia is freezing up due to a resurgence of COVID-19 in countries like Vietnam and Indonesia plus a power-supply crunch in China. The supply snarls coincide with booming demand as consumers spend more on goods than going out, and the festive shopping frenzy nears.

Burt Flickinger, managing director at retail consultancy Strategic Resource Group, said at least 20 to 25 percent of the goods stuck on ships were unlikely  to make it onto shelves in time for the Nov. 26 Black Friday kickoff for the holiday shopping season. Want that new video-game console or television for Christmas? You may not be able to get it.

Incoming cargo at the Port of Los Angeles is up 30% from last year’s record levels. Meanwhile, trucks and trains can’t remove it fast enough, leading to logjams, said the port’s Executive Director Gene Seroka, reflecting the surge in consumer demand.

“It’s like taking 10 lanes of freeway traffic and squeezing them into five,” Seroka said.

And a national shortage of semi truck drivers isn’t helping things. A trade association says the industry is short 61,000 drivers.

The logjam is likely to hit consumers’ pocketbooks: Bottlenecks in the supply chain could lead to out-of-stock items. And Americans freed from a year of lockdown are ready to spend.

Even officials at the Federal Reserve are taking notice.

“We have these really anxious-to-get-out-there-and-spend consumers hitting the wall of supply constraints — and of course, the prices are going to rise,” San Francisco Fed chief Mary Daly said on CBS’s Face the Nation on Sunday. Recent reads on inflation are at 30-year highs — with prices rising 3.6 percent over last year.

“There’s probably going to be some pressure on holiday item prices,” she said, “and we’re going to have to continue to get through that.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192October 13, 2021 5:16 AM

I wanted to replace my microwave oven and went into my local Costco in Honolulu where I buy many of my appliances. They were out so I asked if the other local warehouses had them in stock. I was told they ran out of microwaves 6 months ago and don't know when they will be getting more. I was shocked and related this problem to one of my friends - - who then told me they have been trying to replace their stove for months - - it's the same problem with stoves, and refrigerators too. God help any of these people trying to furnish new homes or replace broken appliances. I also needed to replace my washer so I bought a 2nd hand one that was really old. Hawaii really depends on cargo ships for goods. Living there for decades, I've experienced many dockworker strikes in my lifetime. The first thing that goes is toilet paper, then rice.

by Anonymousreply 193October 13, 2021 7:11 AM

Good luck getting a xmas tree this year r193!

by Anonymousreply 194October 13, 2021 1:28 PM

Good first step by the administration. Could have been a bit sooner, but this is good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195October 13, 2021 2:38 PM

Google "Microwave" you can find them online. Hawaii is totally reliant on having stuff shipped, so of course you have shortages. It was like that for decades. If you're expecting normal or pity, you're delusional, but there also are ways around many of your problems. The rest of us can find microwaves and major appliances w/o problem.

by Anonymousreply 196October 13, 2021 2:45 PM

Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale? Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale? Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale? Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale? Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale? Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale? Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale? Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale? Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale?

by Anonymousreply 197October 13, 2021 3:21 PM

^ Libtard triggered

by Anonymousreply 198October 13, 2021 3:22 PM

R186, I discovered that Walmart dropped off items you ordered online when I found some tea bags in my mailbox. I wasn't super happy about that! Since then, they've started sending texts or emails to tell you that they're dropping something off from the local store instead of shipping it.

by Anonymousreply 199October 13, 2021 3:25 PM

R197, try local drugstores like Walgreens or CVS, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 200October 13, 2021 3:25 PM

Cat food and cat litter have been like 75% out of stock for awhile now. I'm also noticing the price of food I buy has gone up in price by $1. Really not cool.

by Anonymousreply 201October 13, 2021 3:31 PM

Only some ports are going to run 24/7. We need all of them running 24/7. Also, get rid of the fucking tariffs. Shit is too fucking expensive now.

by Anonymousreply 202October 13, 2021 3:32 PM

[quote]Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale? Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale? Where the fuck is my Diet Ginger Ale?

I am not even gonna tell you which Pulix I shop at.

by Anonymousreply 203October 13, 2021 3:36 PM

Like everything else these days,these "shortges" are all bullshit manufactured to raise prices and create runs on products. Ive noticed stores cant seem to get name brand,but they sure seem to have their usually shitty store brands readily available.

by Anonymousreply 204October 13, 2021 4:24 PM

Are they diverting ships to smaller ports? Or can only a few handle the big container ships?

by Anonymousreply 205October 13, 2021 5:12 PM

Ya smoke weed, no cdl for you, ya need to take prescribed pain meds, no cdl for you. Thanks stupis ass politicans

by Anonymousreply 206October 13, 2021 5:26 PM

biden is speaking right now about this problem on TV

by Anonymousreply 207October 13, 2021 7:01 PM

BIden said the port of Los Angeles will be operating 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 208October 13, 2021 7:05 PM

Many US ports are foreign-owned. A lot of the minor ports haven't spent to upgrade to handle larger container ships. There may be incentive to do that now.

by Anonymousreply 209October 13, 2021 11:25 PM

Very nice summary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210October 13, 2021 11:29 PM

The reporter at r210 says 14,000 containers on each ship. Dear god.

by Anonymousreply 211October 13, 2021 11:32 PM

the report I read said there were 650 thousand containers on ships waiting at any one time.

by Anonymousreply 212October 13, 2021 11:39 PM

1,064,000 containers (76 ships, 14,000/ship). Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 213October 13, 2021 11:49 PM

"Ho ho ho . I've got this."

by Anonymousreply 214October 14, 2021 1:19 AM

Where does the Biden administration hope to find the employees necessary for the proposed 24/7 production?

by Anonymousreply 215October 14, 2021 1:55 AM

R215, he negotiated with the unions. He explained it today.

by Anonymousreply 216October 14, 2021 1:57 AM

What about the shortage of semi-truck drivers?

Wh…what…where did the workers go? Did they decide not to show up for work? I mean WTF (again)!?

by Anonymousreply 217October 14, 2021 11:29 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218October 14, 2021 3:16 PM

When it impacts pharmaceuticals made abroad then we are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 219October 14, 2021 3:20 PM

R216, But, where are the workers going to come from to maintain 24/7 production?

Negotiating with the unions to agree to round the clock shifts is one thing, but many more workers are needed.

by Anonymousreply 220October 14, 2021 3:27 PM

R220 exactly. It’s like an Auto maker ramping up production without staff or chips.

by Anonymousreply 221October 14, 2021 3:31 PM

I better get my Furby for Xmas or there will be hell to pay!!!

by Anonymousreply 222October 14, 2021 3:33 PM

It’s odd that they can’t find truck drivers. My friend has been driving for years, and makes $80k a year in a low cost of living area. It is a great job for someone without a formal education, or someone who doesn’t speak fluent English.

by Anonymousreply 223October 14, 2021 3:34 PM

my partner's barber quit being a barber to drive trucks 2 months ago.

by Anonymousreply 224October 14, 2021 3:39 PM

I know some m2f trans who are truck drivers: great pay, great random sex, but hard work.

by Anonymousreply 225October 14, 2021 4:04 PM

I wish the media were tracking live the progress of going through the backlog at the ports. 76 ships yesterday: how many today? How many containers unloaded yesterday? Etc.

by Anonymousreply 226October 14, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote] It’s odd that they can’t find truck drivers.

The sperm count for truck drivers is lower than average. It comes from them sitting in a tight position for hours at a time.

by Anonymousreply 227October 14, 2021 7:23 PM

All the stories in my area are stuffed with Halloween candy and costumes, and I haven't seen any empty shelves for anything else, either. It's weird how the shortages are so spotty.

by Anonymousreply 228October 14, 2021 7:28 PM

To make this supply line mess worse there are now natural gas and coal shortages in China and Europe.

by Anonymousreply 229October 14, 2021 11:19 PM

Saw on the news that major retailers like best buy and others will start having black Friday deals soon.

by Anonymousreply 230October 15, 2021 2:42 AM

Secretary of Transportation Pete has been on paternity leave since August.

by Anonymousreply 231October 15, 2021 7:10 AM

[quote]Christmas presents were never late when President Trump was in charge. Rep. Jim Jordan

The replies are not respectful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232October 16, 2021 1:50 AM

Heard this on the radio (didn't get the show name) while I was driving to the store. Don't know how much, if any of this is true; I don't live in California and don't drive a truck.

1. Supposedly, California law prohibits nonunion truck drivers from working Ca ports; so only union drivers are allowed, which limits the number of drivers and trucks available.

2. They also reportedly don't allow 18-wheeled trucks older than 2010 in Ca (environmental laws and regulations), which means a lot of owner-operators can't work in Ca.

3. Plus, the price of diesel fuel is very high in Ca, as are regulatory costs and taxes on trucks. Profit margins are unstable.

4. And, according to that radio program, Federal law won't let drivers of 18-wheelers be under the age of 21. A lot of older drivers apparently are fed up and retiring/quitting. This limits the pool of available drivers, even before Covid and various government payment programs, eviction moratoriums, etc.

Does anyone KNOW if this is accurate. Are any truckers, especially in Ca, on here? If so, could you explain/discuss any of this, please. Thank you, and thanks for doing this job, too.

by Anonymousreply 233October 16, 2021 6:17 PM

No canned green chiles anywhere near me. Ugh!!

by Anonymousreply 234October 16, 2021 6:26 PM

Geraldo on Fox News suggested lowering the minimum age from 21 to 18 for 18 wheeler truck driving eligibility.

by Anonymousreply 235October 16, 2021 6:43 PM

R234, You'll fart less.

by Anonymousreply 236October 16, 2021 6:44 PM

R236- I have class. I don't say fart I say PASS WIND.

by Anonymousreply 237October 16, 2021 6:47 PM

Geraldo is an idiot. I don’t want high school aged kids driving big rigs. Even more experienced truck drivers have a hard time driving them. An 18 year old would only have been driving a regular car for two years.

by Anonymousreply 238October 16, 2021 7:11 PM

R238 As long as they're well-trained and pass relatively rigorous requirements, I don't see a problem with 18+ year olds driving trailer trucks at all. The problem, independent of age, would be the lack of adequate training and requirements, which could easily be the case with people in the industry who put safety at the bottom of the list.

The US Navy and Marines accept applications for aviators between 18 and 26 years of age, and the US Air Force is similar its qualifications as well. If people as young as that are allowed to fly AC-130s or an F-35, they're surely capable of driving large trucks responsibly and capably.

18-year olds fight our wars for us, so driving an 18-wheeler safely and properly is surely within their capacity.

by Anonymousreply 239October 16, 2021 7:38 PM

I’m going to start my own thread about this but isn’t it high time we make stuff in the US again?

That notion seems to be missing in this story.

by Anonymousreply 240October 16, 2021 7:47 PM

R240, that would be nice but the greedy corporations don't want to pay the wages that Americans demand, nor pay for their insurance and benefits, taxes, regulatory fees, etc. That's why many of our leaders want to lower wages, do away with unions, eliminate employee benefits and environmental laws and deregulate to make us competitive with the developing world's labor force.

by Anonymousreply 241October 16, 2021 8:09 PM

Well this OP was prescient, wasn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 242October 16, 2021 8:17 PM

we will be getting a freight surcharge very soon. Have already seen price increase in stores on everything...this is just fucking wonderful, esp with the holidays around the corner.

by Anonymousreply 243October 16, 2021 8:40 PM

This seems a bit self inflicted by the greedy and short-sighted private sector.

by Anonymousreply 244October 16, 2021 8:49 PM

Why did Pete need so much paternity leave when Chasten was home and I'm sure they've hired nannies?

by Anonymousreply 245October 16, 2021 8:55 PM

R245 It seems very self-indulgent.

by Anonymousreply 246October 16, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote] Target refuses to deliver70% of its household stock. It says “check in stores” under most anything you want to order that yiu routineky buy, like hand soap, detergent, cat food, personal items, et

That has been going on for years. I know because I order from Target. Cat food - forget it. Every cat food I used to order was pulled out of the delivery system at least 2 years ago. I haven’t been able to buy hand soap or antiseptic wipes since early 2020. Every small, inexpensive item is unavailable for shipping. “check stores.” They want you to come into the store for those items & don’t want to waste time looking for, packing and shipping them. Big items are available for shipping.

None of this is new.

by Anonymousreply 247October 16, 2021 10:50 PM

[quote] All the stories in my area are stuffed with Halloween candy and costumes, and I haven't seen any empty shelves for anything else, either.

Same here. We also don’t have crazy people accosting shoppers over mask-wearing or people walking around the frozen aisle with AR 15s.

by Anonymousreply 248October 16, 2021 10:54 PM

[quote] Longshoremen aren't Teamsters. They have their own union.

There's more than just the ILA. There's the ILWU. BC Canada, Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska, and Hawaii.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249October 16, 2021 11:08 PM

At least we have no more mean tweets. Priorities, y'all.

by Anonymousreply 250October 17, 2021 4:01 AM

A lot of people will be receiving gift cards this Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 251October 17, 2021 12:04 PM

Blame Pete Buttercup. He’s Secretary of Transportation

by Anonymousreply 252October 17, 2021 12:21 PM

CA adherence to very strict driver qualifications will cut them off at the knees! Thank God for California’s strict regulations or you will observe semi-trucks killing kids in school buses due to sleep deprivation every day! A 21-year old semi-truckdriver with 4-hours of sleep over four days tends to do just that, just as any 18-year old Monster/RedBull addicted driver would.

by Anonymousreply 253October 18, 2021 11:54 AM

It may be an engineered crisis. Someone may be giving the command not to actually unload the containers at anything near a quick rate. The government is pointing fingers at others, but it may be intentional and aimed to create consent for war.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254October 18, 2021 1:34 PM

The governor of California wants all giant trucks in CA that are more than three years old to be taken off the road and he's also demanding that all fossil fuel trucks be banned from CA by the year 2035. That's going to FUCK UP everything.

by Anonymousreply 255October 18, 2021 2:15 PM

Link 255? You are claiming that the governor wants the trucks removed right now? 3 years old? Taken off the road immediately? During this specific crisis? And That there is no time to replace them by then?

Can you be more specific with your claims and please provide a credible link.

by Anonymousreply 256October 18, 2021 3:48 PM

Here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257October 18, 2021 3:51 PM

[quote] The governor of California wants all giant trucks in CA that are more than three years old to be taken off the road

I don't see this anywhere. And are we sure it's affecting the availability of trucks at the ports? Isn't there a trucker shortage?

[quote] and he's also demanding that all fossil fuel trucks be banned from CA by the year 2035. That's going to FUCK UP everything.

2035 isn't affecting the ports right now. Also, they're not going to be "banned from CA". sales in CA would be banned; out-of-state trucks would be allowed in: anything else would be an undue burden on interstate commerce, and no one's demanding such a ban.

by Anonymousreply 258October 18, 2021 4:00 PM

R255 Is pulling shit out of her ass. Right wing trolling.

There is nothing in that article that states taking fossil fuel vehicles older than three years off the road. Right-wing trolling. The entire story is towards attaining zero-emissions vehicles over the next 15 years in the state of CA.

by Anonymousreply 259October 18, 2021 4:02 PM

Why aren't all major ports running 24/7?

The media need to monitor the progress of unloading the ships. Provide numbers. There could be a running tally in the chyrons.

by Anonymousreply 260October 18, 2021 4:07 PM

R193, FYI, I saw micros at Costco Iwilei this past weekend.

by Anonymousreply 261October 18, 2021 4:20 PM

So r255 is just posting crap that isn’t true? While we are earnestly trying to figure this out?

What a depraved individual. Not everything has to be so destructive and dysfunctional. These pathological liars are really gumming up the works.

by Anonymousreply 262October 18, 2021 4:23 PM

R255, you were asked some direct questions. Then you posted the link. The link doesn’t say anything that you said. So are you going to answer the questions and provide a credible link or not?

Otherwise, can you speak to the discrepancy between your post and the link? They are not related in any way.

by Anonymousreply 263October 18, 2021 4:25 PM

When the price of gasoline goes up every price at the store goes up, its the cost of transporting goods. Get ready for high high inflation

by Anonymousreply 264October 18, 2021 4:27 PM

Makes sure to return any spoiled items. Grocery hedge fund chains like Kroger will no doubt be selling the spoiled goods as is with no warning. Buyer beware.

Lists of stuff is going bad on those crates.

by Anonymousreply 265October 18, 2021 4:30 PM

We’re still fine out here on the Guyland. We send our love. The people freaking out about a supply crisis are the same ones who claim cities were burned to the ground last year.

by Anonymousreply 266October 18, 2021 4:34 PM

R186 Sometimes when you order from Walmart for shipping, the local store will deliver same day if they have it in stock.

by Anonymousreply 267October 18, 2021 4:36 PM

The REAL reason the US supply chain is backed up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268October 18, 2021 6:50 PM

America: BUILD SOME FACTORIES ALREADY

by Anonymousreply 269October 18, 2021 6:53 PM

If they had started building factories at the start of the pandemic then they could have built several by now.

There is no reason to keep up this amount of overseas manufacturing. It doesn’t make sense anymore. Covid will keep coming back until the deplorables relent and get vaccinated. They are too selfish. They would rather die.

by Anonymousreply 270October 18, 2021 6:56 PM

What ever happened to all the factories that Trump promised. He said there would be one on every corner.

by Anonymousreply 271October 18, 2021 6:57 PM

The Buttigieg’s are having some babies. The only problem... They’re ALIVE, That’s why the shipments are bottlenecked.

by Anonymousreply 272October 18, 2021 6:59 PM

R261 Thanks for the update. I was shopping for a microwave in August. I'm at my CA home so I'll have to hope they stay in stock for my return in January. That, or I'll take one on my flight as luggage. I think it was the Iwilei store where they told me there wasn't a microwave in any CostCo on the island. I've had problems buying appliances in Hawaii for years. Sears was one of my go-to places for a while but that went poof a few years back.

Furniture shopping is tough too. I'll find something I like just to learn that it can't be delivered for 2-3 months.

Not that I love the merch they offer, but Hawaii could really use a couple of well-placed Ikea stores.

I've also been begging Trader Joes to open stores there for years.

El Pollo Loco would do well there too.

Shipping costs and wait times are crazy.

by Anonymousreply 273October 19, 2021 4:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274October 19, 2021 5:48 AM

Now that the mainstream media have deemed this a crisis, R274, it will become so.

by Anonymousreply 275October 19, 2021 10:19 AM

R193. What do Micronesians at Costco Iwilei have anything to do with this topic? Are you suggesting these Micros need to be disappeared here? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 276October 19, 2021 12:02 PM

Gotta say, she's not wrong about buying tons of things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277October 20, 2021 3:45 AM

P & G is gonna raise prices on razor blades, oral, and beauty products due to this shit show.

Motherfuckers using any excuse to jack up prices. Razors are already quite expensive!!!

by Anonymousreply 278October 20, 2021 3:48 AM

I placed an Instacart order yesterday and they were out of half of it and the shopper was too lazy to look around. grrrrrrrr

by Anonymousreply 279October 20, 2021 3:51 AM

R278, you've been living the high life–P&G brands? Wow. That's premium stuff. I use store brands.

by Anonymousreply 280October 20, 2021 3:52 AM

I want what I want and I want it NOW!

by Anonymousreply 281October 20, 2021 3:59 AM

I had to buy a different heated mattress pad than the one I am replacing, as that brand was 6-8 weeks until restock, which is December. Nice thing is, the far more luxurious one (in stock) was on deep sale. Win!

by Anonymousreply 282October 20, 2021 4:01 AM

R282, which one did you get? I am going to buy one too. I love the way they feel when I get a massage.

by Anonymousreply 283October 20, 2021 4:02 AM

P&G razors brands are those expensive, disposable brands. Get a safety razor and learn how to shave like a man, while saving a buttload of money.

by Anonymousreply 284October 20, 2021 4:06 AM

Danone will also be raising prices, they own Evian and Activia yogurt

by Anonymousreply 285October 20, 2021 4:30 AM

Everything's getting more expensive. Stop with any tariffs. I hate knowing that I'm paying far more for things than necessary. Thanks a lot, Cheeto, BTW. He started them.

by Anonymousreply 286October 20, 2021 4:51 AM

Crap I wish I hadn't read this thread. I feel like I need to get online now and start buying up anything I can find that I might need for the next year. I don't need TP or paper towels. I already hoarded enough of that for a year.

by Anonymousreply 287October 20, 2021 6:38 AM

If you want to see how many ships are out there near the port of Long Beach, check out this ship tracker app. Put Long Beach in the search box and zoom in/out. The green dots are cargo ships.

I can see them from my place (I can actually see my building in one of the pics someone posted upthread). It looks like a giant ocean traffic jam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288October 20, 2021 6:52 AM

A news report last evening pointed out a residual problem. With the backlog, emptied containers are not able to be shipped back to foreign countries to be refilled with product, which will eventually cause even further delays for stores.

by Anonymousreply 289October 20, 2021 10:14 AM

California had the chance to rid themselves of that crazy asshole Newsome. Fuck em. California is going to shit and I think it’s hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 290October 20, 2021 11:21 AM

Shrieeeek my store had no Bounty paper towel last night, usually there is shelves of it.

by Anonymousreply 291October 20, 2021 11:25 AM

157 ships waiting in LA and Long Beach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292October 20, 2021 1:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293October 20, 2021 1:45 PM

Get rid of the Trump tax.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294October 20, 2021 1:46 PM

R294, the stuff in those containers, on those ships, is already bought and paid for. How are the tariffs stopping container ships from being unloaded?

by Anonymousreply 295October 20, 2021 1:55 PM

R295

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296October 20, 2021 1:57 PM

This is intentional. I'm convinced. Creating misery so we blame others: the retailers, American corporations, China.

by Anonymousreply 297October 20, 2021 1:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298October 20, 2021 1:58 PM

50.1% disapprove. Jesus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299October 20, 2021 1:59 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300October 20, 2021 2:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301October 21, 2021 3:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302October 21, 2021 3:59 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303October 21, 2021 4:13 PM

"Everyone you know deserves a lump of coal for Christmas"

by Anonymousreply 304October 21, 2021 9:04 PM

All Americans (me included) are spoiled babies

by Anonymousreply 305October 21, 2021 9:11 PM

People see through the minimizing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306October 22, 2021 7:07 PM

Getting even worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307October 22, 2021 10:19 PM

Very spoiled. Entitled. I want my cheap crap and my Gatorade.

by Anonymousreply 308October 22, 2021 11:33 PM

What about my creme brûlée?

by Anonymousreply 309October 22, 2021 11:37 PM

Well, it finally happened to me. I eat Whole Foods organic garbanzo beans. A few weeks ago, I noticed they were out but had regular. Fine. I went back last night and they are out of ALL beans. Entire shelf is bare. I placed an order and will be notified whenever they come in.

Why are some people saying that the "supply chain crisis" doesn't exist? (on Twitter). It's political?

by Anonymousreply 310October 23, 2021 2:18 AM

My instacart shopper had to get me Brawny because they were out of stock of Bounty. *gasp* yes I am spoiled but I like what I like and don't want it to run out.

by Anonymousreply 311October 23, 2021 2:28 AM

R311, Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 312October 23, 2021 3:58 AM

I was at Vons in Long Beach CA today and certain aisles looked like a flashback to March 2020. Pasta, rice, canned soup, paper towels, TP nearly wiped out. I was surprised to see that. Next stop was Ralphs where everything was normal. Maybe Vons just missed their shipment today?

by Anonymousreply 313October 23, 2021 7:25 AM

No peanut butter in my local stores. WIth the salmonella scare they cleared them off the shelves and they still haven't been replaced.

by Anonymousreply 314June 19, 2022 4:04 AM

I managed to grab two large 40-ounce jars of peanut butter a couple of days ago. It lasts me a month. I used to get a huge jar but can't get that anymore. Now they are packaging two 40-ounce jars together.

by Anonymousreply 315June 19, 2022 5:33 AM

This thread will be exhibit A in the trial of why our society deserves to be wiped out

by Anonymousreply 316June 19, 2022 5:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!