Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Datalounge - what in the FUCK is going on with EVERYTHING being out of stock or unavailable?

I don't mean to sound like a crass material-craving American, but for over a year now everything we need for our house is either "out of stock" or months in the making. The refrigerator ordered in December, made in the U.S., arrived just last Thursday. Home Depot, the king of shitty, poorly made crap shows nearly every item online as "unavailable for pick-up or delivery". Just this morning I was trying to order some cheap ass replacement cushions for my patio sofa and two chairs. Just normal crap you would want to pick up in the summertime. Nothing. It's all "out of stock" or "unavailable". Whole Foods, constantly out of this or that. Out local WF has really gone to shit. Nasty bathrooms, increasingly empty shelves. Recently tried to order some basic Hanes tees that I wear under my shirts for work. I ordered from two websites. Both came back a week later, refunded my order and told me they were "unavailable". Add this to the constant, every-where-you-go excuse of "Oh sorry, we're just so busy because of COVID", or, "we close early/don't have that/can't do that because of COVID" nonsense, and none of it really adds up. Is this all due to a global supply chain issue or has something greatly shifted that they aren't telling us? People started buying more during COVID, but it's been over a fucking year now and things aren't normal . :-(

by Anonymousreply 43Last Thursday at 1:01 AM

New knee pads are the rage now that things are opening up.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Wednesday at 8:12 AM

I haven't had this problem, everything I ordered has arrived, only one thing was late. I also haven't bought toilet paper since I hoarded last year.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Wednesday at 8:15 AM

The retailers of the world have decided they're just not that into you OP.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Wednesday at 8:15 AM

In the 90s, business school taught the gospel of “just in time” inventory. Like businesses saving money for a rainy day, the idea of preparing for downturns was wiped off the map. Capitalism encourages short term gains or long term planning. Don’t think anyone cares about you, the customer. Businesses pay less tax, run out of money then file bankruptcy and walk away and have no responsibility to society. Yet they are running our lives.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Wednesday at 8:17 AM

Watch this excellent video, OP. It explains it well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5Last Wednesday at 8:21 AM

Didnt covid stall out production?

by Anonymousreply 6Last Wednesday at 8:23 AM

Why would people still shit in public bathroom these days? It's just too disgusting for me.

by Anonymousreply 7Last Wednesday at 8:23 AM

I can’t say I have waited for months OP but I have noticed things take longer to receive or cost much more and I live in a large metropolitan city where I was used to getting Amazon delivery in a few hours.

My stove broke a few weeks ago and I had few choices for a slide in and ended up buying what was in stock for delivery which took a week in comparison with the past where I had lots of appliances to choose from and delivered at most within 48 hours.

by Anonymousreply 8Last Wednesday at 8:25 AM

I hear you OP - I've seen the same thing.

Even Target doesn't keep their shelves stocked and are out of items for MONTHS at a time.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Wednesday at 8:27 AM

My neighbor is a home builder and he's dead in the water on several projects because he can't get plywood, doors, windows, etc. Another neighbor puts metal roofs on commercial buildings and hasn't worked three out of the last six weeks because he can't get materials.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Wednesday at 8:33 AM

R8, Inside Edition aired a segment last week on how customers needing appliances are buying floor models out of desperation.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Wednesday at 8:34 AM

There is currently about a 60,000 deficit in truck drivers in the U.S.

I would get a CDL license if I was young, single and had no pets. Travel, good money, work independently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12Last Wednesday at 8:36 AM

Target refuses to deliver70% of its household stock. It says “check in stores” under most anything you want to order that yiu routineky buy, like hand soap, detergent, cat food, personal items, etc. You never get a coupon for online shopping because they want you to pick it up at the store. “Get $10 coupon if you order pickup at your local store.”

by Anonymousreply 13Last Wednesday at 8:36 AM

I'm circling the drain. Stock up on canned goods.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Wednesday at 8:38 AM

r5 his narration is so fucking annoying though. Punchable voice

by Anonymousreply 15Last Wednesday at 8:38 AM

R12, I'd have a problem remaining awake for all those hours behind the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Wednesday at 8:39 AM

COVID is part of it, but I just saw an article about this somewhere.

Increasingly, big corporations are keeping leaner inventories and making customers wait. This used to only happen at furniture retailers when they needed to specially make an item. We tried to get small things at stores like Crate and Barrel, CB2, West Elm etc and they are all on backorder until year end.

But yeah, it's a thing. One more thing to make shareholders money and fuck over regular people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17Last Wednesday at 8:40 AM

[quote] My neighbor is a home builder and he's dead in the water on several projects because he can't get plywood, doors, windows, etc.

We tried to get a new front door a few months ago and were asking about options and they said, just so you know, anything ordered now arrives in January.

We gave up.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Wednesday at 8:41 AM

[quote]We tried to get small things at stores like Crate and Barrel, CB2, West Elm etc and they are all on backorder until year end.

Yes, a friend of mine ordered a living room couch and chair at a local furniture retailer last month and the lead time is 10 months.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Wednesday at 8:43 AM

There are definite shortages of materials and construction workers where I live but mostly it's from the three major wildfires since 2017 destroying thousands of homes and buildings.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Wednesday at 8:44 AM

I’ve noticed this too, OP. I can only order my dog food online because Petco and Petsmart are out if it in store. it’s in stock nowhere and it’s not some fancy brand. Six months I’ve been waiting for a pillow to be in stock because the In Stock date keeps being pushed out.

So many things like picture frames, towels—many items I’ve wanted to order are always out of stock. It was not like this pre-COVID and it’s frustrating as hell. Sometimes it’s just basic stuff I can’t get. I’m tired of it.

The two hardest items to secure before they’re out of stock again? Low fat, organic yogurt other than plain or vanilla and Kashi 7 grain waffles. Getting these two items is like a lottery.

by Anonymousreply 21Last Wednesday at 8:47 AM

I occasionally enjoy a diet soda, one that is not one of the handful of major brands/names, and it is almost never in stock.

I understood it at the height of the pandemic, but I think now we're going to see many brands discontinued. Companies can just hide behind the pandemic.

This goes along with the constant raise the price/shrink the package stuff, and how so many clothing items are getting more and more poorly constructed. (Something happened with men's underwear a few years ago where literally every brand changed their design or materials, both main material and waistband, and it's noticeable.)

by Anonymousreply 22Last Wednesday at 8:51 AM

r21, it's SUPER easy to make your own low fat yogurt- I make my dog a half gallon of it every week. I don't know if that's something you'd be interested in but maybe if you continue to have issues?

by Anonymousreply 23Last Wednesday at 8:55 AM

Strangely, I can’t get catfish right now. I had an out of town guest who wanted it for a meal. One restaurant chain completely took it off the menu and said it would be at least September before it was available. Couldn’t find any at grocery stores, either.

I know it’s not a huge thing, and I won’t miss it, I just found it odd. Also, many restaurants are unable to meet the demand for chicken wings and have taken them off the menu

by Anonymousreply 24Last Wednesday at 8:55 AM

[quote]I would get a CDL license if I was young, single and had no pets. Travel, good money, work independently...

...truck stop blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Wednesday at 8:57 AM

We ordered a new bed in March and had to wait six weeks for delivery. Slumberland said it was because of the cold snap in Texas and something about a plant being behind on making foam. We also looked at a chair and table and both would have been a six month wait. The reason for that was simply being behind because of Covid.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Wednesday at 9:04 AM

My stereo receiver died last fall. I immediately researched new models and chose two that would be acceptable. Nobody anywhere had either of them available and had no idea when they may become available again. By the end of 2020, I gave up and stopped looking, thinking I'd just wait it out. I think it's about time to start looking around again. On the other hand, if I were willing or able to spend $4,000+ for a receiver, I could get one of those right now.

by Anonymousreply 27Last Wednesday at 9:15 AM

I can't find Lee Press-Ons.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Wednesday at 9:19 AM

one of the reasons is that thousands of Chinese companies went bankrupt during the pandemic. There will be a lot of things that are never coming back.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Wednesday at 9:29 AM

The bottom line of R5's posted video is that the supply chain was disrupted by the confluence of a recession ending in Asia just as Covid halted everything in the West, but since I couldn't stomach the slow pace of that video (which goes to the weakness of presenting such data in a video format — good for slow people, frustrating for those who developed critical thinking skills and the ability to quickly skim pertinent points to glean the relevant facts) I don't know if they got to the root cause of the issue, which is pretty simply: Trump fucked us. Not trying to devolve the thread into just blaming Trump, but the issues were all there from the beginning (that is, the actual beginning of the pandemic at the end of 2019) and Trump neither acted nor reacted, and due to his outsized influence on "the party of business," they sat on their hands afraid to offend the great orange one by pointing out and working on basic facts.

To wit, as R4 points out, just in time inventory is a great system so long as the supply chain is uninterrupted. The system is built to handle (with some pain, but nevertheless...) recessionary behavior. In fact, JIT was conceived to handle recessions with less risk; it's just that no one predicted the obvious, that if there ever was a crisis, all that we'd have available would be the daily inventory waiting for Joe Consumer to push his cart down the aisle and select the item. Despite that we've seen scarcity and shortages on specific goods since JIT supply chain economics became a thing (remember the shortage of Cabbage Patch Kids in the 80s?), business assumed that government would be there, be responsible, and could and would handle a preventable crisis. Then we elected the least experienced, bankruptcy-laden and poorest billionaire imaginable, who then proceeded to hollow out government at a pace unlike any time in history, leaving is without leadership, experience, and experts capable of mitigating the crisis. It's an overused cliché, but business schools will be studying the period between January 2017 and June 2021 for the next 50 years to figure out how we went from a thriving expanding economy to one plagued by shortages, scarcity and inflation.

The next time you hear someone bitch about Democrats abandoning working people in favor or business interests, keep the pandemic and the resultant impacts we're facing in mind because getting the products into working people's hands when they need them is dependent on business interests doing their jobs. Without leadership and a strong Federal government, business is not going to risk profits for any reason. It took electing Biden to motivate business to solve the problems; for example, despite the obvious free money Trump threw at them with the failed Operation Warp Speed, Merck didn't voluntarily agree to help Johnson and Johnson produce a vaccine. It was Biden suggesting either they worked together or the Federal government would deploy the Defense Production Act, seize the assets and personnel, and do it for them.

It's the same story told over and over since the end of World War II: Democrats build things up, Republicans tear them down. That a worldwide crisis happened under a GOP-controlled US government just compounded the tragedy, misery and pain.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Wednesday at 10:02 AM

[quote]but since I couldn't stomach the slow pace of that video

Much as I felt about the verbosity of your post r30.

by Anonymousreply 31Last Wednesday at 10:24 AM

[quote] verbosity

If there was ever a "you type fat" moment, that was it.

by Anonymousreply 32Last Wednesday at 10:53 AM

Here's a hint for you, 30. YouTube allows you to adjust playback speed so you can listen faster if you want. Click the gear-shaped Settings link to find it. I'm afraid it can't help more with your ADD.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Wednesday at 11:16 AM

Welcome to New Russia.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Wednesday at 11:19 AM

I don't know where you people are living. How much more crap do you need? I keep buying crap because it's cheap or whatever but I don't need more crap. If something breaks you can usually get one on craigslist or ebay. We got a dvd player for $2.99 at Goodwill. The only thing I have a problem getting is specific flavors of cat food. I assume it's because everybody's cats like the same flavors and the stores and cat food companies haven't caught on yet.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Wednesday at 12:14 PM

Calm down, R35. Items such as furniture and mattresses which need replacing, are considered necessities, not crap. As for previously owned furniture and electronics, bedding and upholstered furniture are best purchased new.

Much of Craigslist's current offerings are from people getting rid of their poorly-maintained belongings at ridiculously inflated prices; yes, they are price-gouging in response to the shortages.

by Anonymousreply 36Last Wednesday at 1:24 PM

I have to buy our cat's Fancy Feast online now from Chewy.com It's close to the store price and free delivery in a couple days. Stores don't have it.

I received 3 cases today and noticed it's made in Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Wednesday at 2:40 PM

Starbucks hit hard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38Last Wednesday at 2:59 PM

R38 Fat Whores Recoil!

by Anonymousreply 39Last Wednesday at 4:34 PM

Sounds like a lot of work r39.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Thursday at 12:31 AM

Shipping container shortages.

by Anonymousreply 41Last Thursday at 12:45 AM

[quote] remember the shortage of Cabbage Patch Kids in the 80s?

Not a good example. The Cabbage Patch Kids shortage was because buyers did not order the dolls at Toy Fair. The dolls were considered ugly, and buyers did not place orders. Coleco produced dolls based on the Toy Fair orders. When the commercial hit in November, kids went crazy. Nobody was prepared for the success of the dolls.

by Anonymousreply 42Last Thursday at 12:58 AM

R12, my friend's barber quit to become a truck driver

by Anonymousreply 43Last Thursday at 1:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!