Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Post any memories you have of watching this series or any behind the scenes drama you might have heard. I loved this show as a teen. It was a campier than The Next Generation, which I also loved. The characters had more fleshed out story lines but the premise stayed true to Star Trek's original vision of exploration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1206/09/2021

Very dark. Ron Moore needs a cuddle. Dax and Worf are hot.

by Anonymousreply 106/08/2021

This is my most favorite of the Trek shows but I’d argue that it was a complete 180 from Roddenberry’s vision.

He rarely dealt with religion, and it was a central premise to DS9. In later seasons it was fairly dark compared to other Trek shows.

Characters died, lost limbs, dealt with PSTD. After season 3, there really wasn’t much exploration. It was a fight for their lives.

I’d argue that B5 did it as well or better, but this was an entirely different kind of show than all the others.

by Anonymousreply 206/08/2021

R2 B5 had Tracey Scoggins.

by Anonymousreply 306/08/2021

It took me three tries to actually watch this series all the way through and once I got through the first season and a half, i really enjoyed it. i would agree that it was more fleshed out than some of the other shows.

by Anonymousreply 406/08/2021

Always thought Kira Nerys came off as something of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 506/09/2021

Louise Fletcher was cool.

by Anonymousreply 606/09/2021

R6 Nurse Ratched in space. Winn Adami was a great character up until the 7th season and the show imploded. The Bajorans characters had such nuance.

by Anonymousreply 706/09/2021

R7 the way they used the religion to manipulate people was very...true to history of religions on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 806/09/2021

Not as iconic as TOS, and its best episodes didn’t quite reach the heights of TNG’s best, but DS9 is the best Trek series when all is said and done. The depth and texture that they developed in (and between) so many different characters was (and remains) impressive. I’m not sure any other show (of any genre) was as good at building and exploring friendships and relationships as DS9.

I highly recommend the “What We Left Behind” doc that was released a couple of years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 906/09/2021

R9 watched that. Fuck, they whinge.

by Anonymousreply 1006/09/2021

The Starfleet people were a bore. The exceptional characters were a Ferengi and Cardassian spy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1106/09/2021

I wasn't originally a fan, being very much a TNG fan and feeling like I was being left with a crappy substitute.

That said, Sisko's explanation of human existence to the Prophets in "Emissary" was amazing writing and acting, in my view.

I ended up being a huge Odo/Quark/Garak fan, less so with the others.

Even so, "Duet" was IMHO some of the best Trek ever.

by Anonymousreply 1206/09/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!