Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Big, Gay ,Sexy,Bears

The queer community isn’t always the most welcoming place for individuals who don’t fit the images of what many people ― and the media, hookup apps and fashion ― think gay men should look and act like.

In an effort to highlight those who are proudly living their lives on their own terms, YouTube fave Davey Wavey has launched a series titled #ThisIsMe.

The second episode in the series features Scott, a proud bear, who opens up about his relationship with his body.

“I’ve always been a big guy,” Scott told Wavey. “When I was a kid, I was the fat kid. When I was in college I was heavy. But I’m at the point in my life where this is who I am and I’m very comfortable with that. And so when I think about my body now, I recognize the places that I think are attractive.”

Scott, who lives in Palm Springs, California, with his husband, Brad, discussed the parts of his body that he loves ― he thinks he has “great nipples” and recently won a poolside “Mr. Butt” contest ― as well as the first time he really began to embrace his body after attending a bear event.

“It took me a while to accept that [men were interested in me] because I don’t think I was quite ready for that and the level of attention I was getting,” he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 17, 2021 12:38 PM

He's lying. He'd kill a nun to be thin.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2021 1:58 AM

The queer community isn’t always the most welcoming place for individuals who don’t fit the images of what many people ― and the media, hookup apps and fashion ― think gay men should look and act like.

You got that right!

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 1:59 AM

That picture makes my tits tingle!

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 2:02 AM

Wasn't the crying husbear thread enough to satisfy your fatphobia OP?

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 2:05 AM

Ummm,,,, that guy Scott Davenport ain't just some nobody. He's quite an important figure in the fight for same-sex marriage. Not sure if average Joe would have the same confidence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 2:08 AM

How ironic.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 2:11 AM

And what’s wrong with Muriel Puce? Seriously celebrate yourself, we’re only dancing on this earth for a short while. I say good for him. He may not be my type but he deserves to be loved and that starts with loving yourself. That’s what Rupaul tells me, so I know it’s true.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 2:20 AM

Winning a poolside Best Butt contest in Palm Springs has been a turning point in many lives.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 2:32 AM

I went to Provincetown one year and unbeknown to me it was Bear Week. Bear= FAT and HAIRY. WRONG

Many of the so called Bears were FAT but few of them were hairy unless having some facial hair makes you HAIRY.

Some guys were burly without being fat and some were muscle bears- husky with a build. It was NOT my scene. I don't like being where only ONE type of guy predominates.

If they had a SCENE QUEEN week in Provincetown that would be even worse.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 2:35 AM

Sorry to be blunt but I don't think the person at OP's link is sexy in any way whatsoever.

He's grossly obese, must be very unhealthy and completely repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 3:17 AM

[R4]

No…Bears are beautiful men . Bears are loving , caring, and sensitive and don’t deserve your fat-shaming bullshit

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 3:24 AM

Unfortunate nipple... everything.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 4:01 AM

[quote]he thinks he has “great nipples” and recently won a poolside “Mr. Butt” contest

Runner-up Mrs. Dan Savage is plotting her revenge.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2021 4:53 AM

Those hairy barrel chested muscle Bear fuckers make me weak in the knees.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2021 1:54 PM

add in the leather suspenders….I’m on my knees begging for more

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2021 1:56 PM

Try it…..you just might like it

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2021 1:57 PM

Some of you gay men are really so vanilla…..you don’t know the pleasures of ‘rough’ sex.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2021 2:00 PM

R9 - same thing happened to me. From all their words, you would have thought Bear Week was going to be full of body positivity and openness and acceptance.

Nope - a lot of fat, bitchy queens feeling themselves and getting their turn to be the Mean Girls.

There were some legit bears - hairy, built men with some weight on them - but most were just slovenly obese men who never met a buffet they didn't like and have never stepped foot in a gym.

The irony that this video was made by Davy Wavy - who is the biggest muscle mary trying to be all light and positivity, which is completely fake.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2021 2:08 PM

[quote] And so when I think about my body now, I recognize the places that I think are attractive.”

There's a spot just under his right earlobe and then another one on his left shin.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 2:11 PM

OP seems to have problems with punctuation spacing and....well, punctuation period.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2021 2:13 PM

Based on that photo, Freedom to MARY! is more like it.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2021 2:14 PM

On some level it's great that they've found each other and find each other to be sexually desirable. Fat women really don't have that except maybe chubby chasers.

The effeminate bears must not have it easy because no one expects a big burly bearded guy to start squealing like Richard SImmons and they must get mocked a lot

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2021 2:19 PM

HAIRY MARY!

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2021 2:22 PM

If I let myself go like that I’d be dead from a heart attack or diabetes well before loving myself.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2021 2:45 PM

This thread is making me have naughty thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2021 2:51 PM

Miss r9 has STATED her BOUNDARIES.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2021 2:55 PM

I like some chub on a guy, but the bear/cub clone culture repels me. And just because you're overweight doesn't mean you must have facial hair.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2021 3:17 PM

Hair….grow it…show it

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2021 3:26 PM

But a #1 on the sides please with my flat top..

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2021 3:28 PM

Op is not a bear, he's obese. There ought to be a distinction between the two.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2021 3:35 PM

Wait until his leg turns black and falls off from diabetes, that'll teach him.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2021 3:41 PM

Quite big tits..

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2021 3:45 PM

R19 way to harsh my buzz.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2021 3:47 PM

Ewww, why is one tit bigger than the other? Fattie needs to lose a few dozen pounds and start dating within his age group.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2021 4:06 PM

R18 I have no experience with bear group events, but I've heard and read repeatedly over the years that bear groups are some of the most bitchy, exclusionary cunts in the community. I understand they're just as bad, if not WORSE than the gym addicts. And I've never been a fan of that Davey person. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2021 4:09 PM

You should check out the Carolina Bear Lodge it’s in you neck of the woods….don’t go by ‘what you hear’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2021 4:24 PM

[R34]. Vanilla pretty boy…..just don’t get it

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2021 4:27 PM

You just have squeeze into those size 32’s …starve yourself until you do

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2021 4:29 PM

You think skinny looks good…i got news….it doesn’t

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2021 4:30 PM

You just look sick and under nourished

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2021 4:32 PM

And shallow--when you're good looking and in shape you just look shallow and conceited and who wants that?

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2021 4:34 PM

Back when HIV was totally untreatable….I stayed away from skinny guys…they looked sick…maybe had HIV and didn’t know it.

by Anonymousreply 42June 9, 2021 4:39 PM

I'll never see size 32 again.

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2021 4:40 PM

Really ….it’s who you are on the inside that really counts

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2021 4:43 PM

R44 It's who's inside you that really counts!

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2021 4:49 PM

I agree with both….

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2021 5:06 PM

Davey Wavey is a prime example of the stereotypical superficial and status conscious gay man. For him to be delving into this topic is quite hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2021 8:30 PM

DW is just doing whatever he can to try and stay relevant. What's he supposed to do instead, get a real job?

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2021 8:35 PM

I could not accept myself like this. I'm pretty screwed up and therefore can only deal with my body within certain parameters. Parameters that require less than 1800 calories and an hour of weights and cardio per day. I still feel I could do more. I envy this big fat happy guy and I respect what he has done for the community.

I also could not find him attractive.

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2021 8:50 PM

Russian bears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 9, 2021 8:52 PM

I find bears so hot and they are my preferred type---except for the obese ones...unless they are really really hairy.

It's so weird what turns you on and what doesn't

by Anonymousreply 51June 9, 2021 11:16 PM

[quote]Some of you gay men are really so vanilla…..you don’t know the pleasures of ‘rough’ sex.

No longer having to push when you go number two?

by Anonymousreply 52June 10, 2021 6:21 AM

[quote]The queer community isn’t always the most welcoming place for individuals who don’t fit the images of what many people ― and the media, hookup apps and fashion ― think gay men should look and act like.

That's a bit of an overstatement.

Bears may be in their own orbit within the gay world, but it's hardly an insignificant, disorganized, or downtrodden group. Though not often seen stomping down the runways of the top fashion houses, bears are everywhere: bear bars; bear sex apps; bear social organizations; #gaybear on Instagram = 5M results, other #oso is another 1M+, and endless variations on bear turn up millions of images (a few with four footed bears.) Any city that has a gay bar probably has a gay bear bar, or two, or more. Bears have constructed their own world within the gay world and done a rather good job it it would seem. They are involved and don't want for inclusion or get cropped out of the picture.

I've never been attracted to big bears and few have been attracted to me, but the snobby bears, the working class bears, the casserole and cake baking bears, the gregarious meet everyone bears, the sex pig bears, the cuddle bears, the bears that go apeshit of Muppets, the fussy bears, the IT bears, whatever subdivision you chose, they have a basic body type (with variations) in common and a sense of identity and self possession that goes against the gain of the whatshisname's premise of outsiders. I think gay bears are more nucleus than outer fringe in the gay world.

by Anonymousreply 53June 10, 2021 7:27 AM

R18- Davy Wavy is a perfect example of someone who has attitude who shouldn't because he's NOT even hot. He's merely SCENEY and QUEENY.

by Anonymousreply 54June 10, 2021 12:59 PM

Do they sell 42DD bras at these events?

by Anonymousreply 55June 10, 2021 1:00 PM

R53 Interesting points.

In the 80s/90s "bears" were kind of a catchall word for non-mainstream gay scenes. You would see hairy men of all ages and sizes. The only real "discrimination" from within was anyone deemed to be part of the mainstream gay scehe (polo shirts, cologne, etc.)

Now it's all very much its own scene. Muscle bears and daddies are in one cluster, the "chubby" men are in another, there are cubs and otters and daddies, oh my! But with all those variations, the openness of the scene is gone. It's as cliqueish and bitchy as any other mainstream gay scene, possibly even MORE so.

by Anonymousreply 56June 10, 2021 1:05 PM

R56- TOO many labels which I find limiting.

by Anonymousreply 57June 10, 2021 1:08 PM

R57 exactly

by Anonymousreply 58June 10, 2021 1:17 PM

[quote]It's as cliqueish and bitchy as any other mainstream gay scene, possibly even MORE so.

There's something to that, R56, definitely. There's a lot of self-sorting among gay men all around. In Europe it's true, too, but less so than in the U.S. I think. I can go into a bear bar in various cities and countries and, in half an hour or so, the barmen have introduced themselves, one of them has bought me a drink, and half a dozen people who look different from me and have no particular interest in me sexually will have said hello and started a conversation -- and no just the old regulars who can spot a newcomer from his footfall before arriving at the front door. That, to me is very much an attribute of bears, that they are from my experience more gregarious about meeting new people and everything isn't so fucking serious all of the time. They will take a chance to speak with someone outside their little circle.

by Anonymousreply 59June 10, 2021 1:41 PM

Men this size smell bad.

by Anonymousreply 60June 10, 2021 2:06 PM

R60- Not in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 61June 10, 2021 2:08 PM

Bearrison Street Fair…San Francisco…..October…..Be there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 10, 2021 2:27 PM

Do fat guys smell? I'd think they'd be perspiring a lot.

by Anonymousreply 63June 10, 2021 3:40 PM

I like BO armpit scent…it’s arousing

by Anonymousreply 64June 10, 2021 4:31 PM

The pictured individual is morbidly obese, which is associated with a shorter life and a poor quality of life. Why would I embrace his physical self? I would encourage him to do everything he can to alter the lifestyle that has caused this- but only if he asked (I’m a professional). No different from advocating no smoking or wearing a face mask during the pandemic, although he is posing a risk only to himself.

by Anonymousreply 65June 10, 2021 4:37 PM

The pictured individual looks like he'd be the same one all those years ago who said "Dats da suck job!"

by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2021 5:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 10, 2021 6:01 PM

eeep

by Anonymousreply 68June 10, 2021 6:53 PM

she gay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 16, 2021 9:46 PM

That dude looks like a straight up deliverance man!

by Anonymousreply 70July 16, 2021 9:48 PM

I guess SOMEONE has to love that body. It might as well be him.

by Anonymousreply 71July 16, 2021 10:04 PM

Absolutely not my type at all, almost the complete opposite. But each to their own.

by Anonymousreply 72July 17, 2021 12:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!