Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Inexplicable Fame of Nana Mouskouri

When I was growing up in the ‘70s, I remember constantly seeing ads on TV for the records of the “multi-million selling internationally beloved” singing star Nana Mouskouri. She was Greek, exotic, and to a young gay boy like myself, she was a promise that there was somewhere where a girl who wears heavy unflattering glasses and a boy who shopped the husky department at Sears would one day be appreciated. I never got my mom to buy me her records and then one day, the commercials stopped.

Recently I found one of her LPs at the thrift store, and I am shocked to say her voice was a huge disappointment- a breathy girl’s voice that often failed at true pitch. How could this worldwide phenomenon fail to astound? Is Nana a case of a C-list talent masqueraded by A-list public relations?

Do you love Nana?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2021 10:11 AM

I’ve been avoiding her for years

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2021 2:06 AM

Hello, is Paul there?

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 2:11 AM

I *adore* Nana Moussaka!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 2:13 AM

She's no Aliza Kashi...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 3:14 AM

[quote] Recently I found one of her LPs at the thrift store, and I am shocked to say her voice was a huge disappointment- a breathy girl’s voice that often failed at true pitch

But, it's wrong! [italic]SHOCKINGLY[/italic] wrong!

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 3:42 AM

Why can't a poster just say, "Recently I found one of her LPs, and I was disappointed by her voice?

Why, when a Datalounger tells this kind of story, does he inevitably have to instead be "[bold]shocked[/bold] to say her voice was a [bold]huge[/bold] disappointment"?

So much drama!

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 3:48 AM

"My breathy girl's voice put millions of bums in millions of seats from Minsk to Milwaukee!"

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 3:56 AM

Same here. I’m baffled. Competent enough singer. Middle of the road, non threatening songs. But to the point of selling, what, close to 300m records? Putting her in the same league as Elvis, ABBA, the Beatles, DL fave Madonna? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 8:20 AM

The same could be said for fellow Greek singer Demis Roussos. At least Nana has a decent voice.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 8:41 AM

Demi’s Roussos = Trans Nana

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 8:50 AM

I prefer Mireille Mathieu over Nana. Much better voice and material.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 9:13 AM

My favourite version of Habanera comes from Nana Mouskouri, I know it's more poprah than oprah, but I love her voice for it, teetering on the edge, she's Carmen.

The complaints about her having a a 'breathy girl’s voice' are comical today, considering we're *truly* stuck with that style now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 10:19 AM

ohh, thank you, r11

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2021 10:24 AM

OMG r12, that is absolutely awful! My favourite Habanera is by her fellow Greek Maria Callas, who, even though she was a soprano and not a mezzo (as Carmen is meant to be), this performance is just divine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2021 10:31 AM

I was sitting in a restaurant with a dark haired female friend and a waiter came up to her and said “You look so much like Nana Mouskouri.” My friend looked like she was going to cry and I had to comfort her and say that the waiter was insane.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2021 10:32 AM

Nana sang in a variety of languages and genres and was popular among all age groups, so she appealed to plenty of markets.

My favourite song by her is a much later one, from 2003, a song dedicated to the late Melina Merkouri. Gives me goosebumps, but you have to understand the Greek context for that I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2021 10:35 AM

I would have told her to just take off the damn glasses, r15.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2021 2:19 PM

I love Joanna Lumley's travel docu series for segments like this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2021 4:45 PM

I think she was part of that older generation evergreen pop that was particularly popular in Europe in the 70s and 80s. You know, like what Rita Coolidge did in the US, but in the US it was more folk music centric.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 4:53 PM

She was a frequent guest on UK light entertainment shows in the 70s and 80s. Her gentle style was very popular with old people. My grandparents loved her. Becoming an MEP was a big surprise.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2021 4:55 PM

I love Nana’s voice & have her CD “Only Love.” My mother borrowed it & liked it, but said that listening to it makes one want to commit hari-kiri.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2021 11:03 PM

I read she is homophobic, especially at the time she was a politician.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2021 11:39 PM

I don't know if she's particularly homophobic r22, but I assume she would have shared the same generic attitudes towards homosexuality as any centre-right or even centre-left politician did in the 1990s, which was not a time when same-sex marriage, for example, was supported anywhere. Not that as an MEP gay issues would ever have really come up in her work, except for to condemn human rights violations.

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2021 8:28 AM

[quote] The same could be said for fellow Greek singer Demis Roussos. At least Nana has a decent voice.

He’s a much better singer. Aphrodite’s Child was the dog’s nuts.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2021 8:35 AM

She has supposedly sold more records worldwide than Madonna claims to have sold. A lot of people don't know who she is. The only way she could've sold over 300 million records would be if she recorded and released 3,000,000 albums and each one sold over a hundred copies.

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2021 9:13 AM

OP you misspelled “inevitable”.

She knocks it out of the park with “Minuit Chrétiens” and the bizarre camera work on this version captures her “little lost sparrow” quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2021 10:00 AM

"And we are all five Greeks..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2021 10:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!