Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fake Jewels in the British Royal Family

While the Queen and the Queen Mother probably never touched a fake diamond in their lives, is a lot of the glitter of other members of the royal family mostly good copies of real jewels?

DL's own Princess Michael of Kent wears two tiaras that belonged to her mother-in-law Princess Marina, it seems to be common knowledge that many of the diamonds have been replaced by paste and the real stones sold to help support the Michaels' luxurious lifestyle.

Except for a few wedding gifts, most of Diana's stuff was thought to be fake, particularly the pearls she wore, the only real pearls being in the Cambridge Pearl Drop tiara that came from the Queen and that Kate now wears. The remainder of Diana's pearls were not real. A former employee wrote that Diana received lots of fake jewels from Charles while he gave the real deal to Camilla which would send Diana into frequent tirades.

There was a rumor that the tiara Fergie was given by the Queen and Prince Philip was copied and the real one sold after the divorce with Fergie pocketing the cash. The copy was said to be so poorly made that neither Bea nor Eugenie would wear it at their weddings, which is why both borrowed tiaras from the Queen.

Do any other members of the family wear jewels with imitation stones hoping to fool the public into thinking the pieces are truly regal?

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 7:53 PM

If you have to ask because you can't tell the difference, who the fuck cares??

by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2021 11:01 PM

Coco Chanel, who spearheaded the international popularity of imitation jewelry, said by the 20th century, the true point of jewelry was to adorn a woman, not to display her wealth. So if you agree with Chanel (as I do here), whether they're fake or not seems immaterial, so long as they're not the crown jewels, which belong to the state.

But as a sidenote: Even were the authenticity of jewelry much of a big deal to me, even so, I seriously doubt the story about the York tiara being fake. Not only would Fergie have demanded the real tiara by this time (she was given the tiara outright as a wedding gift from her in-laws, and granted it in her divorce), but Beatrice and Eugenie not wearing it on their wedding day because they believe it's a fake is extraordinarily unlikely. Both girls wore tiaras from the queen's collection to honor their grandmother, whom they famously adore and who is near the end of her life.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 12:05 AM

[quote] so long as they're not the crown jewels, which belong to the state.

I always wondered if the jewels on display at the Tower of London are actually the real things like they claim or if they're fakes.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 12:23 AM

Diana wore a lot of fake pearls aka costume jewelry, but so do most women. Her “important” jewels were very real, most of them gifts from Middle East rulers. Interesting scoop about Fergie’s tiara. I wondered about that, surprised it would have escaped her desperation for cash.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 12:46 AM

I worked with someone who always left dark hints that he had ties to Irish terrorist groups. He drunkenly said one night that many of the jewels were stolen by Irish and republican Scots when they were heading to Windsor Castle during the war. Did I believe him? Not really, because drunks exaggerate their importance. But I didn’t *NOT* believe him. I don’t know about family heirlooms but I’ve always looked slightly askance at the Crown Jewels since then.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 12:48 AM

I would never have thought of *any* royal jewels as fake! You've just blown my mind.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 12:59 AM

Don't look now but Prince Charlie's signet pinky ring has turned his finger green!

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 1:20 AM

My vagina is paste.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 2:20 AM

"There was a rumor that the tiara Fergie was given by the Queen and Prince Philip was copied and the real one sold after the divorce with Fergie pocketing the cash. "

I always assumed she'd sold all or part of it. Would she get a better price for the whole thing, or by selling the diamonds a few at a time?

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 2:53 AM

What about the rumor that the Princess's brooch is an actual shrunken moor's head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 4:20 AM

[quote] "There was a rumor that the tiara Fergie was given by the Queen and Prince Philip was copied and the real one sold after the divorce with Fergie pocketing the cash. " I always assumed she'd sold all or part of it. Would she get a better price for the whole thing, or by selling the diamonds a few at a time?

She'd get more for it in its entirety, but if it's true she sold it, it would look really bad for Fergie if someone were seen wearing it public, to say nothing of antagonizing her in-laws even more. Much better to avoid the publicity and settle for a lesser price.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 7:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!