Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's cherry season, bitches!

Have you indulged yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2021 6:31 AM

It's a always cherry season. And...no comment.

by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2021 12:51 PM

Yes! Had a bowl of Raniers this morning. Love this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2021 12:56 PM

Love those sweet ruby orbs...

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2021 1:01 PM

I can tie a cherry stem in a knot using only my tongue.

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2021 1:09 PM

I like eating them with fresh mozzarella and either pistachios or walnuts.

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2021 1:11 PM

We're still getting the meh ones from California in DC, along with flavorless corn from Florida.

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2021 1:18 PM

I’m waiting. I usually binge when they’re on sale and then don’t want any until next season.

I do the same with whole corn and tomatoes in August.

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2021 1:27 PM

Yeah, I don't think the really good cherries are available until early July. The ones I've bought recently taste pretty blah and aren't a great price.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2021 1:27 PM

I bought cherries at Rewe last week. Me and my mother liked them.

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2021 1:33 PM

I got some cherries at Edgewater Produce. They were delicious! I love that little store.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2021 3:40 PM

R9 German cherries are different from American cherries. American cherries are sweet and bursting with flavor. German cherries taste like pain and humiliation.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2021 4:41 PM

I usually wait until our local cherries are available, which isn't for another month, but I bought a bag of California cherries yesterday just because they looked so good.

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2021 4:45 PM

Use the mediocre cherries for baking (i.e. clafoutis).

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2021 5:44 PM

I just got back from the store and almost bought cherries but I’m on a low carb diet, so I didn’t (plus I’d rather splurge on booze if I’m gonna cheat) however, last year I made a cherry clafoutis recommended here on the annual cherry season thread and it was great 😊 🍒

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2021 5:54 PM

R13 Could’ve been you I got the recommendation from!

by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2021 5:56 PM

Yes, bought 4 lbs. of the dark red cherries from Costco. I think they're from Washington state, but not sure.

They were sweet, delicious, but a little bit small in size. However, IMO, we're not yet at peak season. Peak will be in a couple more weeks. I like when the cherries are huger.

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2021 6:01 PM

Yes, I’ve bought them twice already in the last few weeks. They were pretty decent. It’s always a risk until July, when it’s cherry season.

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2021 6:05 PM

Yes, I love them and I’ve been eating bags and bags of delicious cherries. Which state has the best ones?

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2021 6:05 PM

I just put a cherry cobbler in the oven. My cherry pitter broke halfway through pitting, so the final 3 cups were a PITA. Bing cherries aren't ideal for cobbler, but I needed to use up the big bag I bought the other day.

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2021 6:08 PM

No...but I really should put "fight disease" higher on my to-do list.

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2021 6:09 PM

I bought some last week. Delicious! I pit them and stir them into plain low-fat yogurt with some sliced almonds.

by Anonymousreply 21June 8, 2021 6:10 PM

They're wreaking havoc on my teeth sensitivity, though. Had to start using Sensodyne toothpaste.

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2021 6:14 PM

I would K-I-L-L kill to find sour cherries in California. (Apparently, they do show up -- rarely -- at farmers markets, but you have to hit the right week, as a vendor will have them one week and then not again for the rest of the season.) Sour Cherry Pie is THE BEST.

by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote] Yes, I love them and I’ve been eating bags and bags of delicious cherries. Which state has the best ones?

Maybe Washington.

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2021 6:21 PM

Michigan is known for its cherries. Google for sour cherries to make pies.

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2021 6:26 PM

Traverse City, Michigan is the site of the National Cherry Festival.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2021 6:48 PM

Sour cherries make the best jam. My family had two cherry trees that were part of an old fruit tree garden. One of them died and the other no longer provided cherries.

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2021 6:51 PM

OMG! I will send you this recipe that I wanted to bake some hours ago (but I will do it tomorrow, I think). It is from a site called KitchenFrau :P

It is the ONLY English recipe I found of a good German cake called Feuerwehrkuchen (Fire Brigade Cake). I always used sour cherries from a glass, use vanilla pudding powder, also use the cherry liquid. I also do not use the kirsch, but you can. The also use vanilla extract, which is an American thing.

Please make this cake. It is very good. For fat whores only!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2021 7:22 PM

I'm diabetic but still eat fresh cherries in low fat Greek yogurt and artificial sweetener.

It's a substitute for worse.

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2021 7:26 PM

Bing and Ranier cherries are my summer fave.

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2021 7:32 PM

I am diabetic too, but love my cherries.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2021 7:43 PM

Cherries are fruits. Surely they can't be that bad to you?

by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2021 7:49 PM

Fruits have sugar, some fruits have more sugar than others. For people with sugar issues, fruits ... still gotta be careful.

by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2021 7:53 PM

I have been getting mine at Costco. I love this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2021 7:56 PM

Summer fruits are the best. Cherries, watermelon, stone fruit, mangoes, etc.

by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2021 11:19 PM

Yup! I have been waiting very impatiently for the cherries this year. Going to indulge every week if at all possible

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2021 12:10 AM

I picked up some cherries the other day at Costco. They were better than I expected, though a little expensive at around $4 a pound.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2021 12:20 AM

$4 / lb. isn't that bad, IMO. If you consider that almost all of the fruit is edible (small stem and small pit). It takes minimal work to make it edible (wash and refrigerate). Plus, don't mean to get preachy, but it costs money to plant and harvest, etc. I hope the workers involved earned a decent wage.

And, it's fucking delicious and a summertime splurge.

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2021 12:36 AM

The cherries at Fresh Thyme make me nervous.

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2021 12:39 AM

Cherry-flavored anything is my favorite!

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2021 1:10 AM

It’s too early in the season for good cherries.

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2021 1:17 AM

[quote] It’s too early in the season for good cherries.

That's what I thought, but the ones I got from Costco were very good, just a little smaller than peak season.

by Anonymousreply 42June 9, 2021 2:29 AM

I sit cherries on the opening of empty water bottle then push the pit through the Cherry with a chop stick. Easy Peasy.

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2021 2:34 AM

Last week's reds from Northern California were weak.

I'm waiting for Rainiers. Which are exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2021 2:38 AM

I eat them until I get sick. I probably buy six pounds a week.

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2021 2:40 AM

IMO, those Rainier cherries are lovely to look at, but don't taste better than the dark red cherries. The dark red cherries (bing, I guess) have a bit of tartness that balances things out.

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2021 2:42 AM

I pretty much eat cherries daily during June and July! Raniers are my favorite.

I will go around town to certain places because I know they get the good ones! Even if it is out of my way.

by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2021 2:44 AM

Turkey is apparently the world's largest producer of cherries, and that area is where they are originally from.

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2021 5:07 PM

I've been bingeing on blueberries. I'm going to look for cherries at my QFC today. I can add 'cherries' to my list of things I like about Seattle. It will be #2.

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2021 9:44 PM

I bought the usual deep red cherries and the golden, with a tint of red, cherries at a local farm market. Delicious! I think the golden ones are a little sweeter.

by Anonymousreply 50June 13, 2021 8:12 AM

At the link is my favorite recipe using fresh cherries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 13, 2021 8:42 AM

Funny you should mention them… I’m eating some as we speak

by Anonymousreply 52June 13, 2021 9:03 AM

Any season is good for a cherry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 13, 2021 9:32 AM

As a colitis sufferer, I don't partake and they don't really tempt me. The ones out here in Eastern Europe are super sweet and the sour cherries are popular in desserts.

by Anonymousreply 54June 13, 2021 10:45 AM

Rainier cherries are great now.

by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2021 8:51 PM

I'm making cherry pie, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2021 3:18 AM

Had some today. I eat them every day during cherry season.

But I wonder if I should be concerned about the fact that cherry orchards are so heavily sprayed with chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2021 3:27 AM

R57

My cherry orchard is never heavily sprayed with chemicals. And we will never sell it for holiday homes.

by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2021 3:30 AM

Does Veronica Cartwright still eat cherries?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2021 3:50 AM

Had the rest of my Rainiers today! Jealous?

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2021 3:52 AM

R46, I used to feel the same way about Rainier cherries -- that they're pretty but underwhelming -- but I had a great batch the other day that changed my mind about them.

by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2021 5:15 AM

talk to me when it's peach, plum and nectarine season, OP.

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2021 5:56 AM

Make a cherry galette. Yum yum yum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2021 6:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!