Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Woman leaves 10 children to become a nun.

I guess sometimes you just have to get away from it all. Her son has only seen her twice in 33 years.

“I have only seen her twice in the last 33 years since she joined the convent—-partly because the Carmelites are a contemplative order. They don’t teach school, or work in hospitals, or even leave the building in which they live. They pray. They live in silence 23 1/2 hours a day.

She has 28 grandchildren, some of whom she has never seen. She has more than a dozen great-grandchildren as well; none of whom she has held.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2021 5:47 PM

She was basically in jail. Can’t speak, can’t touch, behind iron bars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2021 8:17 AM

Can gay men become monks ?

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2021 8:18 AM

Religion is a mental illness. Who walks away from their kids for this shit? Sick.

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2021 8:36 AM

What is it she can't face?

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2021 8:44 AM

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2021 8:45 AM

In effect, the 10 kids were orphaned. I find that really tragic. On that level of 'devotion', religion is a cult.

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2021 8:54 AM

Women had no lifestyle choices. Joining a religious order was often the only way to save themselves from dying in childbirth or of illnesses brought on by overwork. They couldn't turn to their families, social services and self-support were non-existent. A religious order provided food, shelter and relief from a society that relegated them to a life of endless drudgery.

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2021 8:55 AM

FWIW she was in her 60s when she entered the convent.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2021 8:56 AM

What r7 said. And she didn't enter the convent until her kids were grown (and I guess her husband was dead?), and frankly, after bringing up 10 kids, even I can see the charm a life of nothing but rest, quiet and contemplation might hold.

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2021 9:00 AM

For those who didn't bother to read - She was widowed five years and the children were grown and gone. She may have been terrified of facing life alone after living with 11 people. What's mind boggling is that she must have led a full life to have 800 people at her going away party. What a waste

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2021 9:03 AM

“My cooter is retired! Done! Take my womb parasites and bring me another lover! Jesus - the blond version....”

Of course, her clit still speaks sign language and the other whores can only complain about it for 30 minutes a day.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2021 9:04 AM

[quote]She may have been terrified of facing life alone after living with 11 people.

OR . . . having devoted most of her life to 11 other people, she wanted to do something for herself for her remaining years.

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2021 9:10 AM

For much of human history, this wouldn’t seem at all unusual. Many widows of powerful men founded their own religious orders and entered a life of seclusion, and less wealthy women viewed it in the same way as we would view any career: they felt lucky to be accepted into a nunnery.

I find this woman’s choice of a life of self-denial to be pretty sad, but that’s because I am not religious at all. She must have felt a yearning for it for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2021 9:30 AM

Religion is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2021 9:34 AM

She was in her early 60s when she entered the convent. Madonna could play her. My name is sister Dita and I'll be your mistress tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2021 9:55 AM

The headline was misleading. It made it sound like she abandoned her children. She did not. She raised them and then decided to live life for herself. If she had traveled the world and hardly ever seen her kids then no one would bat an eye. She decided to instead stay in a cloister. An odd choice, but valid. I am sure her kids and grandchildren would have loved to have seen her more, and so as such it is a bit selfish. But, better to be selfish than selfless.

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2021 11:12 AM

Not remotely Christian and sort of against Abrahamic religions, but even so back in the day I would have considered joining a convent for the reasons R7 describes.

Being gay, being somewhat asexual/autistic, and not wanting to risk a socially-mandated and potentially life-threatening childbirth (my mother almost died giving birth to my disabled now-dead sister) would make a quiet celibate segregated life of gardening and prayer and choral song the most attractive choice pre-20th Century.

Thankfully the last couple of hundred years have given many (though not all, and not enough) women other options and greater freedoms.

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2021 11:37 AM

[quote]Woman leaves 10 children to become a nun.

The only good reason to be a catholic that I have ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2021 11:39 AM

Nun=WHORE

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2021 12:17 PM

Was she a flying nun ?

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2021 12:19 PM

at least she didn't kill them

by Anonymousreply 21June 8, 2021 12:22 PM

[quote]She was kind of an unusual nun. She didn’t sing very well. She was frequently late to her required duties around the convent. She threw sticks for the communal dogs which was not allowed.

Was she also a flibbertigibbet?

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2021 1:07 PM

A will-o-the-wisp?

by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2021 1:13 PM

There are easier ways to escape your children.

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2021 1:16 PM

I remember this story from when she joined the Carmelite order. She was a well known San Francisco socialite, and it was big news in the Family section.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2021 1:28 PM

I’ve been to paradise but I’ve never been to me!!!! 🍾 🛥

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2021 1:47 PM

[quote] When their mother said she was entering a convent, the children had mixed reactions, but even the most supportive ones didn't try to talk her out of going. "We're all a lot better off with her gone, and I think everybody would admit to that," Mark said.

“We're all a lot better off with her gone”

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2021 3:36 PM

Prince Philip's nutty mother Princess Alice or whatever - became a nun late in life (after spending quite a bit of time in mental institutions).

In her latter years, she padded around Buckingham Palace in her gray habit, appearing at functions and such. She basically abandoned Philip and he wandered around staying with relatives - in one guest register at some rich nobleman's house, he said his residence was "no fixed abode"

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2021 3:40 PM

R6, adults are not "orphaned."

Once your children are grown up and moved out, your reprehensibility is done.

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2021 3:44 PM

A secure retirement plan.

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2021 3:48 PM

Mark’s pissed because he didn’t score the jewelry or the paintings. He should have thought about Mother before letting Nancy bob on his knob.

“I couldn’t help it; she was like a whippet thrusting her face in my crotch!”

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote] Can gay men become monks ?

I think a better question is can straight men?

by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2021 3:52 PM

Good question, R32. "Bishop" Pat Buckley's blog is an unintentionally hilarious chronicle of homosexuality in the Church, replete with bad spelling, flame wars in the comments section and lurid stories.

by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2021 3:57 PM

I’d love to join a monastery after my husband goes. But I think I’ll be too old. Maybe if I give them my 401k?

by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2021 4:00 PM

[quote]Once your children are grown up and moved out, your reprehensibility is done.

Personally, my reprehensibility WILL NEVER BE DONE.

by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2021 4:09 PM

R34, the article states she gave Christ a dowery. I’m pretty sure there’s a price to pay - especially now that she’s 90.

by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2021 4:09 PM

I hope to christ he didn't spend it all in one place.

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2021 4:32 PM

Was she still a virgin?

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2021 4:35 PM

Do they make virgins anymore?

by Anonymousreply 39June 8, 2021 4:37 PM

She’s catholic, R38; I don’t think she can even claim anal virginity.

by Anonymousreply 40June 8, 2021 4:37 PM

Given a choice between ten kids and 5,000 grandkids and a convent... I'd take the convent!

But yeah, in centuries past, it was common enough for upper-class widows to join the posher sort of convent rather than staying where their daughter-in-law had become the lady of the house. The posh convents were a bit like the sort of gentlemen's clubs (where widowers would sometimes move permanently), a lady could have an apartment of her own, the convent had servants to do all the cooking and cleaning and she didn't have to manage the staff herself, a lady could pray all day, or mix the prayers with study, recieving visitors, creating devotional art, write letters or books, etc. Some female intellectuals joined that sort of convent, because that was the only place they could experience the life of the mind.

by Anonymousreply 41June 8, 2021 4:49 PM

Misleading headline.

She’s done her womanly “duty” and deserves to do whatever she likes with the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2021 4:51 PM

We all worship the virgin in our own way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 8, 2021 4:54 PM

A Dutch cap would've been the best way to not start a family, babe.

by Anonymousreply 44June 8, 2021 4:58 PM

R41, Ronald Firbank's Princess Zoubaroff refers to this. Novelist Blanche Negress (author of Lesbia, or Would He Understand) finds it hard to write in hotels with all their distractions, so she joins a convent.

Thanks for providing a background.

by Anonymousreply 45June 8, 2021 5:40 PM

[quote] The posh convents were a bit like the sort of gentlemen's clubs (where widowers would sometimes move permanently), a lady could have an apartment of her own, the convent had servants to do all the cooking and cleaning and she didn't have to manage the staff herself

But she had none of those luxuries. She became a silent nun who lived in a jail cell behind bars. She couldn’t talk, or touch anyone and had to stay behind the bars. What kind of life is that?

by Anonymousreply 46June 8, 2021 6:57 PM

She was a rich socialite whose father started PG&E so she has billions. So it’s not like she joined a convent because of money reasons.

by Anonymousreply 47June 8, 2021 6:58 PM

R46, it is the life she chose.

Sometimes, that's all you can say, people like what they like. Hell, I like birdwatching.

by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2021 7:05 PM

R48 in this context reminds me of an unforgettable performance of Messiaen’s Saint François d'Assise I saw at the Paris Opera. Monks AND birds.

by Anonymousreply 49June 8, 2021 7:11 PM

I feel ya, Sista

Some days I wish everyone would take a vow of silence

by Anonymousreply 50June 8, 2021 7:35 PM

She identified as a Carmelite nun...how dare you judge her!

by Anonymousreply 51June 8, 2021 7:37 PM

Some days r50?

by Anonymousreply 52June 8, 2021 7:49 PM

Did she give all her money to the Church?

by Anonymousreply 53June 8, 2021 7:57 PM

What a horrific, self-aggrandizing mother/cunt she was after all those years of being a horrific, self-absorbed socialite.

She always managed to make it about her. Completely unable to fathom humility in its most basic form, even after being cloistered. What a relief her children must have felt when such a divisive egomaniac checked out.

Her "soul," if one was ever available & accessible to her, is of a life form needing so much attention, it dries its family out while gaining preternatural amounts of attention from Hollywood likes as the divorced Ronald Reagan who married her good friend Nancy while future this future nuncunt screeched at her own children & threw them out of the family house as she purchased all sorts of luxury goods in SF, LA, London, etc. boutiques with gay men in her tow.

Venal, vulgar, stupid, superficial and demeaning of true Christian/Catholic causes, she feared for her soul & thought she could buy herself into the kingdom of heaven after being a dipsomanaical society bitch who rejected her children badly for non-Catholic marriages while slavishly pursuing the adulterous Reagans.

What a mother/fatherfucker. She thought 30 nun years could eradicate the horrid, awful person she always was? Heh. Privilege seems to bring about a whole new fangled morality that this class believes should should mute scripture.

Can you imagine Satan poking Sr. Mary Joseph around in his Barbeque pit: "So your husband was the creator, voice, and vision for PG&E while you shopped & dropped MILLIONS?" It would be deserving and worthy of PPV.

Did she get away with being a lifelong bitch and then some by disappearing? At least her kids and grandkids were spared Narcissistic grandma who only answered to "God' in Des Plaines, IL 2000 miles away..

by Anonymousreply 54June 8, 2021 8:07 PM

Yikes r54, which one of the 10 are you?

by Anonymousreply 55June 8, 2021 8:10 PM

What a weird, pointless rant R54 subjected us to, at least the part I read.

by Anonymousreply 56June 8, 2021 8:42 PM

Please read r25 before coming to conclusions.

This woman's hypocrisy and abject hatred toward her own family to the point of forcibly estranging them and their children was pretty awful. Yes! She refused to meet her children's non-Catholic spouses and HER OWN FLESH & BLOOD before joining the Carmelites. They were nothing to her because they were not Catholics and, according to her, had performed acts of fornication because the marriages weren't Church-certified.

And she rejected her own divorced children, writing them off as she sought a close friendship with blow job Nancy Reagan and her divorced husband Ronny.

She only allowed son in the OP back because the 2nd marriage was Catholic & sanctioned by the church while first was not Catholic & therefore unholy & unrecognizable.

Yep. Sister was a long-standing cunt who tried to have it her own way, each and every step of the way...

If giving away her one-of-a-kind painted silk parasols can't get her into the Kingdom of Heaven, what will? Genuine humility or kindness not based on wealth? By all accounts, she never learned that in the cloister.

I suspect this Sister is going to spend an eternity in an elevator going between "Hosiery/Foundations/Nightwear" and "Purgatory" and still cannot figure out why she's not guaranteed an elevator to the very TOP!

by Anonymousreply 57June 8, 2021 8:44 PM

R54's mother gets my deepest sympathy, you know she gets the worst of the rage.

by Anonymousreply 58June 8, 2021 9:40 PM

She's obviously one of those for whom religion is a mental illness. She's probably in the best place. Someone like that does not need to be out among the public. And there's little mental health treatment could do for people that crazy.

by Anonymousreply 59June 8, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote]She's obviously one of those for whom religion is a mental illness.

This implies that there is one for whom religion is not a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 60June 8, 2021 10:13 PM

No, not all religious people are mentally ill. They're just people who really want to believe that God is real. Their beliefs have been drummed into them since childhood in most cases. Gullible, yes. Crazy, no.

by Anonymousreply 61June 8, 2021 11:36 PM

Shew sounds like a complete whore. She and her husband must have been fucking non stop. No wonder she thought she needed to devote her life to God.

by Anonymousreply 62June 8, 2021 11:54 PM

"No, not all religious people are mentally ill."

No but they must have some developmental disability. I get the people who run the churches carrying on with the charade -it's money and power (as much as power is an aphrodisiac for the feeble minded) but normal healthy adults don't have a need for religion.

by Anonymousreply 63June 8, 2021 11:56 PM

Hell, I'd fly into space if I had 10 children!

by Anonymousreply 64June 9, 2021 12:07 AM

Grifting nuns siphon $835,000 from school funds to fuel Vegas gambling junkets.

"The Sound of Money" Oscar bait with G and Yuh-Jung Youn?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 10, 2021 5:24 PM

Why only ten kids?

by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2021 5:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!