Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grammar queens this is for you:

When using an abbreviation that begins with a consonant that sounds like a vowel -- FJ, MS, NBC -- should I use "a" or "an" before it?

Example: I watch a / an NBC show.

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2021 5:21 PM

AN... I know I’ll get crucified for this

by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2021 11:48 PM

You shouldn't watch any NBC show.

by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2021 11:48 PM

R2 I felt that one coming....

But I'm still interesting in an answer.

by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2021 11:49 PM

An NBC show.

by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2021 11:51 PM

You go by the sound of the first letter in the acronym. If it’s a vowel sound, use “an.”

by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2021 11:52 PM

Depends on the letter. A CBS show versus an HBO show.

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2021 11:52 PM

You would use "an."

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2021 11:53 PM

But yet, R6 is correct. Depends.

by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2021 11:54 PM

One writing guide on the topic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2021 11:55 PM

Here's a better guide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2021 11:56 PM

[quote] But yet, [R6] is correct. Depends.

R5 is who was correct here. That response covers all the bases. You go by the sound of the first letter of the abbreviation. (I would argue that the examples of TV networks are not acronyms, but I’m aware there is some controversy about the definition of ‘acronym’.)

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2021 1:19 AM

I was an English major & still don’t get why some people say “an hotel.”

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2021 7:15 AM

R12 I say "an historic event" but have never said "an hotel". I un derstand why we say "an honor" because the h is silent but I have no idea where I learned to say "an historic" or "an hysterical".

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2021 1:02 PM

[quote] I was an English major & still don’t get why some people say “an hotel.”

I believe words that start with H and have a French origin (where the H is silent) should be preceded by AN.

Use A and AN based on the natural sound, not by some rule. An hotel, An NBC show, An historic event

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2021 1:05 PM

The problem is the rule is often far more complicated than an easy phrase.

For example, I before E, except after C has more to it. The rest is "Except for words of Germanic origin."

by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2021 1:06 PM

[quote] For example, I before E, except after C has more to it. The rest is "Except for words of Germanic origin."

The elementary school rule is "I before E, except after C or when sounding like 'ay' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh;' " but, that still doesn't cover it all (e.g., foreign, forfeit, height, ancient, concierge, fancies, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2021 4:00 PM

All of OP's examples call for "an." She is aware of the "depends" (kind of lazy) simplification of R6's point, and implies the information in R5.

Quibble quibble quibble.

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote] I believe words that start with H and have a French origin (where the H is silent) should be preceded by AN. Use A and AN based on the natural sound, not by some rule. An hotel, An NBC show, An historic event

This is partially correct. A /An are chosen based on the sound of the subsequent word's first syllable. If it begins with a vowel sound, use "An." if it begins with a consonant sound, use "A." We usually do this naturally. (Do you know anyone who says "a hour"?)

While the integration of French words and pronunciations into the English Language around 1066 when the Normans invaded England is a likely impetus for this "a/an before H" confusion, the modern rule isn't really related to the origin of the word any longer. Hospital, hotel, hostel, host, hostess, herb, helicopter, habit, etc. are all words that entered into the English language by way of the French that do not have a silent H in (American) English. The modern rule applies to all words in which the first syllable of the subsequent word begins with a vowel sound (hour, honest, etc.)

Words like "historic" run into issues because certain countries (UK) and regions (parts of New England) often don't pronounce the H at the beginning of the word (the opposite is true for the word, "herb," which is usually pronounced "erb" in the States and "herb" in the UK.) Most American English style books recommend using "a historic" (e.g., Chicago Manual of Style, Gregg Reference Manual, AP Stylebook) whereas British English style books most often recommend using "an historic" (e.g., Fowlers Modern English Usage). Then you have some Americans who use "an historic" to try to sound posh - stealing British pronunciations is often a method people use to try to sound posh. As always, speak and write for your audience.

For your examples, most Americans would say "A hotel," "An NBC show," "A historic event." Brits might use "an" for all of them (not sure whether most regions of the UK pronounce the H in Hotel or not).

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2021 4:35 PM

And "seize", R16. That one always gives me pause, though I have no problem with "foreign" for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2021 5:15 PM

[quote] And "seize", [R16]. That one always gives me pause, though I have no problem with "foreign" for some reason.

I always struggle with "receive" even though it follows the rule. I never spell it correctly on the first try.

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2021 5:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!