Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is Bob Seger's best song?

Of these; I couldn't include all the ones I'd have liked to, for example, "Beautiful Loser" and "Shame on the Moon."

by Anonymousreply 58June 9, 2021 9:34 PM

‘Fire Down Below’ off the Night Moves album circa 1977 is one of his best songs

by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2021 10:29 PM

Love that one, r1. (I just discovered it, actually.)

by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2021 10:31 PM

Turn the Page because of the good covers of it.

by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2021 10:34 PM

Still the Same. I always associate that song with he movie Shoot the Moon. Great song, great movie.

by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2021 10:36 PM

My aunt loves Against the Wind, it’s a big inspirational song for her. You’ll Accompany Me is my favourite Seger song, but since it wasn’t offered as a choice I voted for Hollywood Nights. Old time rock’n roll is a song I never need to hear again.

by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2021 10:42 PM

I used to think that "Night Moves" was "Night Moose"

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2021 10:45 PM

My favorite is Night Moves. I just love the "I woke last night to the sound of thunder How far off, I sat and wondered". Reminds me of being a kid hearing a storm off in the distance.

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2021 10:51 PM

Still The Same. After all of these years, i still know the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2021 11:05 PM

I wouldn't mind a festival concert with the elders of rock Seger, Mellencamp, Springsteen, Eagles (whoever is left), James Taylor and if Linda could still sing Ms Rondstadt but I'll take Emmy Lou instead and if Carly.

Oh and Neal Young if he wants to sit in.

by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2021 11:29 PM

I was going to say and if Carly Simon wanted to sing back up or Sheryl Crowe.

Pre mature posting.

by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2021 11:30 PM

Shakedown. It hit number one!

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2021 1:08 AM

Fire Lake. Its so mystifying and the harmonies are impeccable.

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2021 1:14 AM

They are all great and there are more. I haven’t listened to him in years and forgot.

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2021 1:15 AM

"Night Moves." It was released in the summer I seem to recall. I remember is as a summer song.

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2021 1:20 AM

“2+2=5?” is my favorite of his.

His later stuff, mentioned in the poll and the replies above, is incredibly bland. So bland it might as well not exist at all.

“2+2=5?” is blistering garage rock. Those of you who haven’t heard it might be shocked.

by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2021 1:22 AM

I go with the cliché "Old Time Rock and Roll" because it rocks harder.

But I LOVE me some "Hollywood Nights" and "Night Moves."

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2021 1:25 AM

Apologies—it’s called “2+2=?”. The title I gave at R15 is a Radiohead song. The Bob Seger song is linked below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2021 1:26 AM

Did you make any night moves, r14?

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2021 1:29 AM

We actually saw him on tour in 2019. A friend of ours invited us. She and her husband are huge 70s band concert goers. Anyway, aside from weird faces and things he did with his arms, the concert was fantastic. It was two hours of, "Oh, I forgot he did this song."

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2021 1:29 AM

Come to Papa.

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2021 1:30 AM

Fire Lake

by Anonymousreply 21June 8, 2021 1:32 AM

Get Out of Denver is fun. Her Strut, Rock 'n Roll Never Forgets. I voted for Roll Me Away but I see it wasn't popular!

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2021 1:37 AM

You’ll Accompany Me is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2021 2:55 AM

"Travelin' Man/Beautiful Loser" from his "Live Bullet" album is classic live rock. Great songs, both of them.

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2021 3:48 AM

Turn the Page is the song that people make fun of. The woes of a rock star on tour.

[quote] Say, here I am ... On the road again

[quote] There I am ... Up on the stage

[quote] Here I go ... Playin' the star again

[quote] There I go ... Turn the page

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2021 4:14 AM

"Night Moves" has always been boring and repetitive to my ears. I didn't like it even when it was on the radio nonstop. I'd go for either "Hollywood Nights" or "Main Street.." I love the last measures of Main Street, the way it builds. It does seem a bit depressing that it's about a strip joint, though.

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2021 4:20 AM

And a hooker with a heart of gold.

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2021 4:22 AM

My favorite Bob Seger song is “Bad Moon Rising,” a song he didn’t even sing.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2021 4:24 AM

"The woes of a rock star on tour."

Actually, touring tends to be hell. All that traveling, going from city to city, performing then having to get right back on the bus or plane to go to the next gig, living out of hotel rooms...it doesn't sound very pleasant. Of course the more successful acts stay in the better hotel rooms and experience the luxury that being a top tier act can provide. But it's still not exactly a happy existence. I don't think I've ever heard a rock star say he or she LIKED going on tour. They say they like the audiences who adore them, but not the touring.

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2021 4:44 AM

I wish I saw him live in his heyday but I was too young.

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2021 4:49 AM

Bob Seger performed his composition Heartache Tonight at the Eagles Kennedy Centre Honors and the amount of energy he had at his age was mind-blowing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2021 6:17 AM

"Have You Never Been Mellow?"

Or was that Olivia Newton-John? I get them mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2021 6:20 AM

I hope for everyone's sake that OP is a radio programmer looking for input. Bob Seger's catalog is full of iconic songs, yet many 'Jack'/Oldies/Classic Rock stations seem to play him infrequently. Indeed, with a whole universe of great music to play, lots of them have surprisingly short playlists, although apparently they are driven by research.

by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2021 6:54 AM

We’ve Got Tonight along with Ready for Love are the two great 70s make-out songs, so o voted for that. Not on there but I also love Rock n Roll Never Forgets, Feel like A Number, ain’t got no money. So many. Love Bob Seger - I don’t know if he’s really underrated because he is very acclaimed - but it feels like he is.

by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2021 6:59 AM

34 posts and no one mentioned Seger's best and my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2021 7:00 AM

OP should be BANNED for posting a NON GAY thread on a GAY site...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2021 7:01 AM

R36, you sound exhausting

Everyone else: I enjoy your input! I'm not aware of Seger's lesser-known stuff

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2021 12:00 PM

One of Bob's few songs that isn't about a stripper. Lyle Lovett and Keb Mo kick it up a few notches here

Till It Shines

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2021 12:27 PM

R32, meet r28

by Anonymousreply 39June 8, 2021 1:30 PM

Night Moves forever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 8, 2021 1:36 PM

Night Cheese

by Anonymousreply 41June 8, 2021 1:40 PM

Another vote for the Bob Seger System’s 2+2=?

Also look for the covers album Smokin’ OP’s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2021 2:16 PM

It's a later song but I love "The Fire Inside." The piano player is Roy Bittan, who plays for Springsteen's band.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 8, 2021 3:29 PM

Rambling Gambling Man was his first hit and my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 44June 8, 2021 3:46 PM

Wasn't punk and new wave a rebellion against this kind of music?

by Anonymousreply 45June 8, 2021 3:48 PM

Horizontal Bop. Oh, and that one he wrote about Jane Fonda, Her Strut or something like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 8, 2021 3:52 PM

Every great rock artist has a magnum opus, and "Night Moves" is Bob Seeger's.

I miss the days of actual radio, when a 7 to 10 minute song was played uninterrupted.

by Anonymousreply 47June 8, 2021 3:59 PM

47 posts and no mention of 1982's "Shame On the Moon"...???

I was a child of the late 70s/early 80s and it's still funny how I like so many different types of music.

Streisand - Seger - Donna Summer - Elton - Zeppelin - Stones - Manilow...

We had so many choices!!

by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2021 5:04 PM

I mentioned it in the OP, r48!

by Anonymousreply 49June 8, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote] My favorite Bob Seger song is “Bad Moon Rising,” a song he didn’t even sing.

He didn’t write it, either, and it doesn’t sound like him, so ... god only knows why you’re mentioning it here, Bootsy.

I avoided the film Night Moves for years because I associated it with the Seger song, which I do not like at all. It actually has nothing to do with the song, and it’s a fantastic movie that I recommend to anyone who loves gritty 70s films. Melanie Griffith’s hairy, teenage vulva makes an appearance in it, shockingly.

by Anonymousreply 50June 8, 2021 7:00 PM

Some of Bob's songs are cheesy, e.g., "Against the Wind."

by Anonymousreply 51June 8, 2021 7:06 PM

Night Moves for damn sure.

by Anonymousreply 52June 8, 2021 7:16 PM

[quote] Wasn't punk and new wave a rebellion against this kind of music?

Does that make “this kind of music” bad?

by Anonymousreply 53June 8, 2021 8:26 PM

I love Bob Seger. He was supposed to play Jazz Fest a few years ago and pulled out for some reason, so I missed my chance to see him. I really would have loved to see him at Pine Knob in his heyday. We've Got Tonight is one of the saddest songs ever written. He's a poet. Thanks for a fun thread, OP.

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2021 1:55 AM

I forgot to address my biggest disappointment with Seger:

Where is the BOX SET?!?! Or maybe an anniversary edition of one of his classic albums?

Just name an artist who had a string of hits between 1940 and 1990 and there's probably some type of unreleased collection, anniversary disc, or box set available.

The closest you can get to a Seger box set is buying "Ultimate Hits: Rock and Roll Never Forgets" (a 2-CD set) and "Early Seger Vol. One" (an attempt at some unreleased/early material).

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2021 10:20 AM

We've Got Tonight....

Because we've all been there at least once...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 9, 2021 10:29 AM

You’ll Accomp’ny Me. Great song.

by Anonymousreply 57June 9, 2021 11:15 AM

R12, I've been listening to 'Fire Lake,' it is a mysterious song, and the harmonies were done by three Eagles: Don Henley, Glen Frey and Timothy B. Schmit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 9, 2021 9:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!