Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sleep Apnea Mouthpiece

My dentist jerked me around since last October about making me a dental appliance for sleep apnea. 3x I submitted my info to them (insurance apnea test, eg), even had photos taken and they still kept telling me they were checking insurance. Now, after 8 months, the dentist claimed he’s leaving his practice & I have to go elsewhere. That dentists had said device costs $2500-3000.

So i called a dentist closer to me location-wise, who I’d seen years ago. Cost of sleep apnea device at their office? Around $5,000 and insurance probably won’t cover it. Wtf? Are these things guaranteed to work? What if it doesn’t help? I’d rather get a facelift, at least I’ll get 7 years out of that. Really…is is possible I’ll spend 5,000 for a fancy bite block? And how did they get so expensive?

by Anonymousreply 59June 17, 2021 1:27 AM

The first line treatment for OSA is a CPAP device of some sort. Dental appliances are for mild OSA, so you should get an actual diagnosis from a doctor first, then proceed from there with advice from a health professional. Your health insurance will pay for a CPAP.

Just basic Googling shows the dental appliance costs on average $2K.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2021 3:36 PM

Sounds like you are being gipped OP. Go with what R2 says and also treat yourself to a facelift then report back.

by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2021 3:38 PM

I have a diagnosis from a doctor.

I had a sleep apnea test.

I can’t use CPAP because the pressure is too high and it detaches from my face and blows my eye open all night long, drying it out.

I said in my OP the original dentist told me $2500-3000. But he didn’t make the device for me. Of course I googled how much it costs *in general,* R1. I thought it would cost $2,000- 3,000. But $5,000? I think that’s insanely expensive. And it’s not covered by insurance. Why not? Because it doesn’t work? I would think if it worked insurance would cover it but both dentists’ offices said pretty much all health insurance won’t cover it.

by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2021 3:45 PM

I’m surprised more aren’t realizing dentistry is a scam.

by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2021 3:48 PM

Sounds like you need to do a lot more research before you commit to anything R3. Get some recommendations for excellent dentists and read user reviews. If it isn't covered by insurance then there is some kind of issue with the treatment. It shouldn't be that difficult to get some reputable information about it. It does sound a bit money grabbing and scammy.

Now. Is there any way you can get the CPAP to detach from your face and blow another location all night long instead?

by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2021 3:50 PM

When did we let hillbillys like R4 start posting on DL?

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2021 3:52 PM

I've been using a CPAP for about a year, but I don't think it actually helps anything. I can only stand it for about four hours, then sometime during the night I always end up taking it off.

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2021 3:53 PM

Is sleep apnea usually related to being overweight? The only people I’ve known who needed a CPAP were grossly overweight. And a baby who was born with a birth defect.

by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2021 3:55 PM

Something to read OP. Doesn't sound that great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2021 3:57 PM

I’ve tried CPAP twice and it’s never going to be an option for me. The nasal pillows blow air into my sinuses at what feels like the same pressure as gas station air pumps for tires. It’s excruciatingly painful. The face mask won’t stay on because “my face isn’t even on both sides.” My face is bulkier on right side than left side, I’m told. Funny because I have much deeper nasolabial folds on left side than right. It also blows air into my stomach & gives me gas all night, while the other side of mask blows into my eye. I’m jealous of people who can use CPAP. I was really looking forward to feeling better and was sure I was going to be one of those people who would be successful with it.

Anticipating the “you type fat” remark, I weigh 126 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2021 4:04 PM

[quote]I can’t use CPAP because the pressure is too high and it detaches from my face and blows my eye open all night long, drying it out.

The CPAP isn't doing that, the mask is. Try another mask. A poorly fitting mask is no reason to say you cannot use CPAPs at all. There's no reason an asymmetrical face would cause you to be unable to wear a mask, no one, and I mean NO ONE, would have ever told you that. Straps can be adjusted differently on one side than the other, and most people have asymmetrical faces.

If nothing else you should have tried the so-called full face mask, which just goes over nose and mouth. There are options. You haven't even tried them.

If you need a high pressure then you don't have mild sleep apnea, and a dental device won't help. The high pressure is to stent your airway open in a way that the dental device won't be able to do.

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2021 4:05 PM

^^^^That website sells CPAP machines so they are not a good place to get info.

My eldergay uses a dental device and it works good for him, he has moderate to severe Apnea, but won't use a CPAP, many people can't sleep with that attached to their face. His APNEA is reduced to about 75%, which is much better than it was. CPAP is also a racket since you need ongoing supplies. He is overweight but no where grossly obese.

by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2021 4:10 PM

[quote]His APNEA is reduced to about 75%

Oh honey, that's not even a real stat. He's reduced down to 75% of WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2021 4:12 PM

I was going to say the same stuff as R11. If you need high pressures, you are not a good candidate for dental devices or any of the other odd non-CPAP apnea treatment devices.

If your face is that crooked OP, you need a specialized, made to order, or full-face CPAP mask. Discuss this with your sleep doctor first. Also discuss dental devices with your sleep doc, not with a respiratory therapist who works at a medical equipment place.

Yes, dentistry is a rip-off. A dental device for apnea wholesales for less than $50. The rest is profit. I recently had a crown re-done in Mexico. For reasons, they charged me their cost for the Cerec zirconia made-to-order, same-day crown. In the US you'd pay at least $1000 for this crown. My cost? $65.

Don't be embarrassed or shy about not wanting to pay insane prices for dentistry. But I doubt that a dental sleep device is what you require.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2021 4:36 PM

Just sleep...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2021 4:56 PM

I have had apnea my whole adult life, although I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my late 30s.

I started out with one of those mouthpieces, which my health insurance actually covered back in the day. Heck, they even covered a replacement every two or three years.

I felt better almost immediately. I dropped a bunch of weight in just a few months. (At 6'2", I topped out at about 250 pounds, and am at about 210 today.)

The mouthpiece works by forcing your lower jaw to move forward, creating an open airway at night. I was happy with it. At the time, I traveled frequently for work, so something the size of a retainer was much easier (and more private) than lugging around a CPAP machine in its distinctive and sporty light-gray travel bag with black strap.

So my jaw moved forward, and I slept. After 13 years, though, my slight overbite had turned into a severe underbite. I felt like one of those National Geographic people whose neck gets gradually extended over time. So I quit the device, and started the CPAP. My underbite receded over time, and now is only slight, and not bothersome.

I tolerated the CPAP fairly well, but I hated it. I still use it occasionally, but typically only when I'm traveling with my husband (I was booted into my own bedroom decades ago).

I am sorry insurance won't cover the device, as apnea contributes to a whole range of health problems. I hope there's some way you can get the help you need. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2021 5:01 PM

OP, if you go out in the country, you could get someone to whittle you one for a lot less.

by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2021 5:11 PM

My primary care doctor told me the mouthpieces were useless.

The medical supply company you get your CPAP machine from can adjust the pressure for you if it's too strong. I wear the nose mask (not the nasal pillows kind). I can't do the full face mask because I'm a side sleeper and I keep breaking the seal of the mask to my face.

by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2021 5:27 PM

After months of frustration using a CPAP, I switched over to the oral appliance. It cost $2000 but since I met my out of pocket of expenses for the year, I didn't pay a penny. It is SO much better than that fucking CPAP machine.

by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2021 5:29 PM

Is sleep apnea mostly a problem of 300-lb-plus fat hoes? I hardly ever heard of it in South Sudan.

by Anonymousreply 20June 7, 2021 5:37 PM

^^^ Extra weight doesn't help, but it's not the only factor. An MRI showed that my windpipe is only about half as wide as normal, so easily blocked. Which helped explain my lackluster sex life, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2021 5:52 PM

R16, I'm curious - did you do the mouth exercises each morning by biting on a piece of whatever the heck it's made of? It's my understanding that is supposed to curb any changes in your bite.

by Anonymousreply 22June 7, 2021 5:58 PM

R22: I certainly tried to do these exercises where you move your jaw back and forth, etc. But having your lower jaw forced forward 8-9 hours per night, every night, takes a toll that, for me, could not be overcome with jaw exercises.

by Anonymousreply 23June 7, 2021 6:17 PM

[quote] The CPAP isn't doing that, the mask is. Try another mask.

They sent me several masks to try. The person who came to my house and showed me how to use the CPAP machine might’ve had a degree in something or he might not have a degree in anything. He was very nervous and seemed to be trying to remember how to give his spiel. I felt the whole thing was very fly-by-night. The people who called me about the sleep apnea home test were calling from the Caribbean on a line that sounded deliberately scratchy & static-y. My phone always said SPAM when the woman called. She claimed she was in Miami but my phone identified some island in the Caribbean. I’ve never heard a phone with such horrible reception & like I said, it seemed deliberate, so that I’d give up talking to them.

At any rate, it’s the second time I tried CPAP. I tried back in 2013. Back then I went to a hospital for the sleep apnea test and went to an office building very far away from where I live to see a guy who sounded like a used car salesman. But hey, at least he worked in an office.

The last time I tried it was in 2020 before the shutdown. My pulmonologist assured me CPAP was much better nowadays. “They have much better masks.” I told him it’s the pressure that I can’t take. It’s too high and causes sinus pain, headache, dry eye. Anyway, the people who called me & the guy who came to my house didn’t seem to have any medical background at all. I asked questions and he answered questions but the answers weren’t to the questions I’d asked. It all seemed a bit scammy to me and I couldn’t tolerate the pressure once again, so I sent it back. The company then called and said they never received the machine. But….ha ha….they tried the exact same thing in 2013, so this time I made sure to keep my receipt because they don’t call right away. They call months later claiming CPAP wasn’t sent back & by that time you’ve usually lost the mail receipt.

I’m glad I didn’t buy a CPAP machine. But the thing is, these mouth devices cost more than a CPAP machine. Non-returnable.

by Anonymousreply 24June 7, 2021 6:28 PM

I tried a machine and also could not take the pressure.

Not sure why your insurance wouldn't cover the dental appliance - however, one question is were you trying to have your dental insurance cover it? Sometimes it has to be covered (with prior authorization) from your medical coverage, and if the two are different that could be an issue.

by Anonymousreply 25June 7, 2021 6:33 PM

I just saw the commercial for what I think is advertised at R15 - no CPAP or dental appliance needed, apparently. No idea how it works, though.

by Anonymousreply 26June 7, 2021 6:48 PM

[quote] The medical supply company you get your CPAP machine from can adjust the pressure for you if it's too strong.

My dr said there’s no point in using the machine if it doesn’t keep your airway open. If you need a high pressure, that’s how much you need to keep your airway open. Lower it and your airway collapses again. Why use a machine that’s not doing what it’s supposed to do? When I did my original sleep test in a hospital they tried different pressures until they got the right one. This time, I guess they use a mathematical formula to determine what will keep the airway open. It was the same pressure as the one they determined in the hospital. And I can’t tolerate it. It’s painful in the nose and gas-producing, eye-drying on the face.

You have to use it a certain number of hours a night. Insurance companies check the machine remotely and if they determine you’re not using it enough, they charge you a fee.

by Anonymousreply 27June 7, 2021 6:50 PM

Want to get rid of sleep apnea?

LOSE WEIGHT.

Most physicians will NOT tell you this. $$$$$$

But, it is true.

by Anonymousreply 28June 7, 2021 7:18 PM

Not everything is about losing weight, R28.

There are also people who do not have extra weight who have it.

by Anonymousreply 29June 7, 2021 7:21 PM

R29, the majority have it due to excessive fat in the midsection.

by Anonymousreply 30June 7, 2021 7:22 PM

How would a dentist even be qualified to diagnose someone with sleep apnea in the first place? I had to go to a pulmonologist and do overnight sleep studies for my CPAP machine.

by Anonymousreply 31June 7, 2021 7:24 PM

My partner was diagnosed with sleep apnea and got the CPAP, but doesn’t like it and can’t wear it all night. After several attempts by the dentist he paid $3500 for an oral device a couple of months ago and it doesn’t work well at all. His sleep is barely better than normal. He’s thinking about suing the dentist if they don’t make it right.

by Anonymousreply 32June 7, 2021 7:27 PM

R13 You ignorant cunt, that what the dentist said, I'll take his word over your shit ass self. Please jump in front of a moving vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 33June 7, 2021 7:30 PM

R31 You have to already have been to the sleep center before the dentist will fit you. At least that's how it worked here.

by Anonymousreply 34June 7, 2021 7:33 PM

Girl, just buy the moldable mouth guards from fairywell on Amazon. They're about 15 bucks for 6. They work beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 35June 7, 2021 7:34 PM

R32 Has he it adjusted? My eldergay had to go several times for adjustments, it not a once and done.

R35 Those things can push your teeth out of alignment and cause your jaw to become misaligned.

by Anonymousreply 36June 7, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote] How would a dentist even be qualified to diagnose someone with sleep apnea in the first place? I had to go to a pulmonologist and do overnight sleep studies for my CPAP machine.

There is some legitimate overlap. From what I understand, there's a few varieties and/or approaches - you can have a pulmonologist treat it, a regular sleep doctor, and in some cases, a dentist with the right training.

Seemed odd to me too but it's apparently legit

by Anonymousreply 37June 7, 2021 7:38 PM

R28, my cousin lost 50lbs and his sleep apnea episodes actually increased.

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2021 12:13 AM

I've heard people who do the surgery where they cut out part of the back of your throat have lived to regret it.

by Anonymousreply 39June 8, 2021 12:14 AM

R24, your stories sound ridiculous. You're either the unluckiest person in the world with multiple doctors and dentists who are unqualified scammers, or you're not telling us the whole story.

Why did you even need an at-home sleep test if you had already had one in a clinic where they titrated you to the proper pressure?

by Anonymousreply 40June 8, 2021 1:01 AM

R33, I'm not the ignorant one here. Your husband's dentist told you that his apnea was "reduced to about 75%"? That doesn't make sense, because a dentist isn't actually measuring anything that has to do with sleep apnea. A CPAP or sleep test equipment takes measurements, dental appliances don't. They don't collect data, they're just molded pieces of stuff. If you're for real, you need to find out what that figure actually means. Call me a cunt 100 more times, I don't care, but stop being a stupid stubborn fool and realize that I am helping you here. Find out what that dentist means.

by Anonymousreply 41June 8, 2021 1:09 AM

How about losing weight and stop being a fatty?

by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2021 2:30 AM

I started with a CPAP machine about fifteen years ago, but quickly psyched myself out of using it. My dentist offered the mouthpiece alternative. I don’t remember the cost, but it was partially covered by insurance. I used one for about four years, having replaced it once, and like R16, it started causing jaw problems. So back to a CPAP machine.

This time, I paid attention to fitting the mask properly, cleaning the tubing and mask regularly, and changing the filter, humidifier chamber, and accessories as recommended. For the last ten years, it has worked out flawlessly. As durable medical equipment, my insurance covers it 100% with no deductible.

My blood pressure is now back to normal, I no longer have acid reflux, the urge to urinate 5-6 times a night is gone, and I lost about forty pounds. For several years now, I’m at 215 lbs. I’m 6’6” and, though I was overweight, I was not and am not obese. Sure, people who have accumulated fat deposits around their trachea due to obesity are the highest percentage of CPAP users, others are simply genetically predisposed to collapsing airways.

by Anonymousreply 43June 8, 2021 3:01 AM

[quote] I’m surprised more aren’t realizing dentistry is a scam.

OFFS, Karen is trying to unravel democracy through dental insurance. This entire thread is scripted nonsense.

And OP, 0/10. Your scenario doesn't even make sense.

by Anonymousreply 44June 8, 2021 3:10 AM

Oh, and OP, I know what you did last summer.

by Anonymousreply 45June 8, 2021 3:13 AM

Does everyone who snores have sleep apnea?

by Anonymousreply 46June 8, 2021 3:36 AM

[quote]How would a dentist even be qualified to diagnose someone with sleep apnea in the first place?

In my case, the dentist had his practice alongside sleep doctors...doctors would refer patients to the dentist as appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 47June 8, 2021 3:46 AM

The mouthguard eliminated my snoring. I used one of those snore apps after I got it.

by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2021 11:50 AM

[quote] How would a dentist even be qualified to diagnose someone with sleep apnea in the first place

You need a sleep apnea test. They used to be given in hospitals. Now you just tape a pulse oximeter to your finger and go to sleep in your own bed.

You don’t make sense, R 44.

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2021 6:24 PM

R38, is he 500 lbs?

by Anonymousreply 50June 15, 2021 3:54 PM

how do you know if you have it? Do you wake up a lot gasping for breath?

by Anonymousreply 51June 15, 2021 8:01 PM

My CPAP saved my life, I was choking multiple times an hour resulting in overactive organ activity while I slept, which means I wasn't really sleeping at all. I would fall asleep daily at 4pm. It became a joke at my.office and my Dr. said I just needed to lose weight. When I finally convinced him to send me to a sleep specialist I was told my case was severe and probably has been my whole life. It has a lot more to do with nasal capacity than weight (though that wasn't helping). The pressure can be adjusted and you should follow up with your specialist to make sure the fit is right, etc. I can't sleep without mine anymore and I've probably been spared an enlarged heart. Patience and attention will get you thru the initial steps.

by Anonymousreply 52June 15, 2021 8:26 PM

"how do you know if you have it? Do you wake up a lot gasping for breath? "

Partly yeah. Your dentist will know. Also your partner might notice when you stop breathing at night, like my did.

by Anonymousreply 53June 16, 2021 9:47 PM

I was exhausted all of the time, no matter how much sleep I got at night. When I got a Fitbit and wore it to bed to track my sleep, it was telling me I had approximately 3-5 hours. A couple of times I did wake up gasping for air. I finally looked into sleep apnea and got tested. I’ve had a CPAP machine for a couple of years now and it hasn’t been too much of an adjustment. You learn to live with it.

by Anonymousreply 54June 16, 2021 11:05 PM

How do you suck cock with a big assed CPAP on your head?!

by Anonymousreply 55June 16, 2021 11:14 PM

R53, what will your dentist tell you about it?

by Anonymousreply 56June 17, 2021 12:27 AM

Your dentist can tell by the state of your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 57June 17, 2021 12:38 AM

Sleep apnea is a matter for pulmonologists, not dentists. Those advocating for dentists' advice on the matter are pushing quackery. They're trolling. Any worthwhile dentist would, if asked, tell you to see your primary care physician to get a referral to see a pulmonologist.

If followed correctly, CPAP therapy works.

by Anonymousreply 58June 17, 2021 12:43 AM

Stupid question I guess, but does the whole cleaning procedure cause anybody to stop using CPAP? My partner does it for me, but if I had to do that everyday, I know I would stop using it.

by Anonymousreply 59June 17, 2021 1:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!