Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Talk About Peter Allen

Growing up in 1970's and 1980's recall hearing is music on radio, but didn't pay much attention to Peter Allen otherwise. He seems to have been a great talent who left us to soon.

Eldergays of Manhattan scene tell stories since they moved in same circles and or even lived in same area.

He seems like a younger more energetic Liberace in his performances. I mean they just scream *MARY*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2021 3:13 PM

*too soon

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2021 11:44 PM

Peter Allen made a flip remark "Between the moon and New York City" one day, and the song writer of the theme from "Arthur" never forgot it.

YEARS later, she added to the lyrics of the song, then asked Peter Allen if wanted to credit for that one line

Allen said "Hell yes"

That is how Peter Allen won his Oscar, that one line

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2021 11:48 PM

I never got his appeal. I’m sorry he died of AIDS, of course, but as an entertainer he seemed more enthusiasm than talent—unlike his former wife, who had maybe an over abundance of the former and admirable amount of the latter.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2021 11:51 PM

I want to know if Liza Minelli was extremely dumb or whether he was a deceitful social climber.

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2021 11:53 PM

He was a good songwriter, but his own voice was nothing special. I enjoyed other peoples versions of his songs.

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2021 11:53 PM

Some of his songs are unintentionally hilarious by dint of their self-indulgent self-pitying: "Quiet, There's a Lady on the Stage" and "Don't Cry Out Loud" being the two most obvious.

He wasn't a great singer, but he was a great performer. In that he was like Liza, who is a better singer, but who is also a much better performer than she is a singer.

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2021 12:05 AM

R6 I don't understand your last sentence.

Irony?

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2021 12:07 AM

ᒪEGᔕ ᗪIᗩᗰOᑎᗪ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2021 12:10 AM

oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2021 12:11 AM

[quote] Irony?

It's more likely you're just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2021 1:49 AM

R6 I think I'm beginning to understand you—

"Liza’s performances are better than Liza’s singing.

Liza’s singing is better than Peter’s performances.

Peter’s performances are better than Peter’s singing."

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2021 2:00 AM

Taught by Experts is one of my favorite albums of all time. In 1976, I was going through the worst breakup of my life, felt really suicidal, and listened to this album nearly constantly, only taking it off to play Hasten down the Wind (Linda Ronstadt) or Silk Degrees (Boz Scaggs).

I got to interview him on my college radio station that November. We had a great talk about meeting and marrying Liza, and breaking up with her. I didn't out him on the radio, but afterwards we had a great talk, about the value of music, and not killing yourself because some guy dumps you. Great, great album. Great, great person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2021 2:01 AM

"Everything Old Is New Again" is such an earworm.

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2021 2:32 AM

Horrible. Get some taste.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2021 3:13 AM

Hugh Jackman shaking is maracas in "Boy From Oz"....

Saw the show with older gays who knew (in a few cases personally) Peter Allen from back in the days. Just got swept up in the music (you have to admit some of the tunes are catchy), as did most of the audience.

Next to Liberace, Peter Allen was "Mr. Showmanship" I suppose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2021 5:01 AM

Mary!

Come on, you have to give it him, Peter Allen gave a good show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2021 5:02 AM

Elton John could perhaps match the glitter, but never the energy....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2021 5:04 AM

Another great song from Peter Allen....

In many ways Peter Allen was among a group of songwriters and singers who provided soundtrack to 1970's and 1980's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2021 11:54 AM

And of course.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2021 11:57 AM

Another much covered great song....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 7, 2021 12:00 PM

Peter Allen had a good voice IMHO, but he (like many singers I'm afraid), lacked power and strength to hit and hold certain notes. Nothing is worse than a singer going for a soaring ending to a song when it's clear their instrument just cannot manage.

When Peter Allen remained comfortably within in range, things were great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2021 12:15 PM

COULD NOT STAND HIM.

He wasn't out publicly btw, like you couldn't tell.

by Anonymousreply 22June 7, 2021 12:15 PM

Greg Connell, Peter Allen's partner was one tall cool glass of Texas water......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 7, 2021 12:16 PM

Wonder how many queens went to see "Boy From Oz" on Broadway several times just to see Hugh Jackman shake his grove thing..

by Anonymousreply 24June 7, 2021 1:00 PM

The queen I went with went to see Hugh Jackman, r24. I went because I so loved the music of Peter Allen. I didn't like the fact that they gave this song to Stephanie Block, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 7, 2021 1:04 PM

My boyfriend was pimped out to him one night. A friend of a friend asked my then boyfrind if he'd like to meet Peter Allen and he said sure. I guess riend was his "type'. Iit was just the two of them, PA and my boyfriend at PA's apartment accross the street from the Museum of Natural History. I'm certain they fucked. My boyfriend didn't tell me...but PA had aleady been diganosed with AIDs at the time, which made me nervous....at the time.

by Anonymousreply 26June 7, 2021 1:14 PM

Peter Allen was always a bit of a joke. I remember as a young gay being profoundly embarrassed by him on TV. He was not out, but he was definitely "faggy."

by Anonymousreply 27June 7, 2021 1:20 PM

One of my favorite movie moments ever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 7, 2021 1:21 PM

I’ve been taught by experts in the art of cruelty..... My gay teen self played that over and over again and it made me feel less alone. I was bullied and ridiculed for being gay and Peter’s music helped me get through that.

by Anonymousreply 29June 7, 2021 1:31 PM

My ex’s aunt said she saw him swanning around the West Village in a full-length fur coat. She thought it was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 30June 7, 2021 1:53 PM

I was within earshot of a rehearsal room where Hugh Jackman was studying Peter's voice for The Boy from Oz. Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 31June 7, 2021 1:59 PM

Starts at 11:00. Dunno if they still do, but Qantas overseas flights would play it on the approach to Kingsford-Smith or Tullamarine.

Sure beats "Advance Australia Fair."

"Waltzing Matida"'s not a national anthem. "I Still Call Australia Home" should be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 7, 2021 2:17 PM

Saw him live 5 or 6 times...great showman!

by Anonymousreply 33June 7, 2021 3:02 PM

Peter Allen's Broadway show "Up in One: More Than a Concert" was one of my top favorites of the 70s. It had a short run at the Biltmore Theater and it was Peter at his best in a relatively intimate space. The end of the first - act where Peter (wearing his signature sequined jacket) becomes a human mirror ball while he rides to the heavens on top of a grand piano - was showmanship plus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 7, 2021 9:21 PM

This was Peter's most sensual performance. He looks so healthy and happy... and hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 7, 2021 10:17 PM

When will Liza expose the truth about their sham marriage?

by Anonymousreply 36June 7, 2021 10:23 PM

R36

Liza will go to her grave saying what she's always done; that everyone knew Peter Allen was gay but her, and she didn't find out until coming home early that fateful day and catching her husband in bed with another man.

Maybe in her memoirs or something posted after death Liza may come clean, but I doubt it. Peter Allen and everyone else who would be affected by Liza telling the "truth" have long been dead. She could have said something different by now if it wasn't the story she wants to cling to about Peter Allen.

by Anonymousreply 37June 7, 2021 10:29 PM

[R18] Also covered by DL fave Debbie Gibson:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 7, 2021 10:36 PM

His songs are all either "Everything's FABULOUS!" or "I have to take a moment and get really maudlin now..."

He had zero taste.

by Anonymousreply 39June 7, 2021 10:42 PM

I mean he is so OBVIOUSLY homosexual especially in that clip at R35. There is just no fucking way in hell she didn't know he was queer so why did they need to get married?

by Anonymousreply 40June 7, 2021 10:45 PM

I had a friend who was pimped out to PA after one of Allen's concert in New Jersey. His boyfriend was inconsolable and slept with me to assuage his heartbreak the same night.

by Anonymousreply 41June 7, 2021 10:51 PM

[quote] I mean he is so OBVIOUSLY homosexual especially in that clip at [R35].

Hopefully Jane Fonda got paid for that. Peter totally stole her routine!

by Anonymousreply 42June 7, 2021 10:59 PM

[quote] I had a friend who was pimped out to PA after one of Allen's concert in New Jersey. His boyfriend was inconsolable and slept with me to assuage his heartbreak the same night.

I feel much, much sorrier for the pimped-out friend than for his boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 43June 8, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote]everyone knew Peter Allen was gay but her

And we all thought Joey was the dumb one.

by Anonymousreply 44June 8, 2021 2:16 AM

To be fair, Liza's father was gay, so she may well have grown up just thinking a gay affect was common to all men.

by Anonymousreply 45June 8, 2021 2:18 AM

I was ushering for Broadway when Peter Allen died. I think the show was Falsettos at the Golden Theater.

I was hanging out with the old ladies in the theater, waiting for the house to open, and one of the old bitties turned to me and said "Peter Allen just died. You know why? He put his pecker in the wrong place!". I just laughed.

by Anonymousreply 46June 8, 2021 3:39 AM

[quote]I’ve been taught by experts in the art of cruelty..... My gay teen self played that over and over again and it made me feel less alone.

And now here you are on the DL, R29, where your education doubtless continues!

I had friends in Sydney who knew Peter Allen. My favourite thing about him as a performer was his wit. The stories he told between songs were as good as stand-up. My friends said he was that funny IRL, and gave me many examples which unfortunately I've long since forgotten. (I know, big DL fail.) As a further insight, my friends were not big stars, and by then he was.

In those days it was very risky for an international performer to just openly tell the world he was gay. It was still illegal in so many countries - including his own - well into the 1980s, and then there was AIDS hysteria on top of that. But Allen sure as hell didn't do anything to hide his homosexuality. In Australian interviews in the 70s and early 80s he used to make remarks such as, "So then Liza and I got divorced --[aside to camera] Who could have seen THAT coming?"

by Anonymousreply 47June 8, 2021 4:11 AM

^ He was such a wag.

by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2021 4:13 AM

If you believe the gossip, Peter Allen had a torrid affair with Mark Herron, Judy Garland's fourth husband while he was still married to Liza's mother.

Mother like daughter Judy Garland walked in on then husband Vincente Minnelli having sex with another man. Liza however unlike her mother didn't attempt suicide after that shock. That's saying something considering Liza caught Peter Allen in flagrante delicto on their wedding night.

"Sounds great. But one day Judy came back and found Minnelli in bed with another man. There followed her first suicide attempt. Liza can top that: she caught her first husband, Peter Allen, in bed with his boyfriend on their wedding night. Peter had been recommended to Judy by her fourth husband, Mark Herron. Judy in turn pressed him on Liza. Herron carried on a sexual relationship with Allen during their respective marriages to Judy and Liza. One is all for being broad-minded and tolerant about these things and Peter Allen was certainly a fetching young Aussie hunk in those days, but, how heartless does a guy have to be to screw his stepdaughter's husband?"

You can see from pictures in link Peter Allen was quite handsome as a young man. It's easy to see how Liza fell for him... But why she remained married for several years *after* catching her husband in bed with another man, that she never has explained.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 8, 2021 7:56 AM

Telegraph story above quote was sourced. In case DL bans the link made it a separate post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 8, 2021 7:58 AM

Peter Allen didn't have a huge volume of recordings. However songwriting is another matter with several of his songs covered extensively in many languages and still active. Am guessing his estate went to the mother and or sister, someone must be collecting royalties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 8, 2021 8:02 AM

Anniversary of Peter Allen's death is coming up next week (DOD 18 June 1992, aged 48).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 8, 2021 8:05 AM

For Pride month!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 8, 2021 8:07 AM

" His first Broadway appearance was in 1970 in "Soon" with Richard Gere and Nell Carter."

What was that show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 8, 2021 8:20 AM

" You know why? He put his pecker in the wrong place!"

Sadly that comment or line was used at the time by scores if not hundreds of nasty biddies that ought to have been shot. We're not just talking about loose comments in a shop or theater, but professional women in working environment.

Had friends who were nurses and nursing assistants during 1980's when AIDS/HIV patients were filling NYC hospitals. They would tell stories of nursing staff saying the most hurtful things about patients (including men who were dying) as they were providing care (if you could call it that), all right in front of the person. One former aide told a few patients with tears in their eyes from being talked about like dog. How AIDS was "God's vengeance on gay men for putting their dick/pecker where it didn't belong..".

by Anonymousreply 55June 8, 2021 9:35 AM

Jarrod Emick, another cool drink of water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 8, 2021 10:32 AM

R31

Those must have been very short lessons because Hugh Jackman sounded nothing like Peter Allen in that show.

Now and then a twinge of Oz accent came through, but otherwise was mostly some sort of American to my ears.

by Anonymousreply 57June 8, 2021 10:37 AM

Previous ancient DL thread on Peter Allen where the man and his memory are largely trashed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 8, 2021 10:51 AM

I love my bootleg of "Legs Diamond" which was the theater that closed the Mark Hellinger before it came the Times Square Church. I used to go there and was rebaptized so I got to be backstage for about half an hour and it was thrilling. Harvey Fiersten (who wrote the book) calls Legs a big smelly flop. Apparently Bruce Vilanch also did some writing on it. It actually has a very good cast album, topped by Julie Wilson with her 11:00 number, "The Music Went Out of My Life". Randall Edwards, who had played Delia on "Ryan's Hope" between Ilene Kristen's stints, play the character very similar to Lesley Ann Warren's in "Victor/Victoria". Apparently the show changed quite a bit during its extremely lengthy preview period, cutting out several roles including one played by Christine Andreas. There was a reunion of the surviving cast at 54 Below a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 59June 8, 2021 10:53 AM

Peter Allen and Bernadette Peters perform Irving Berline at 1982 Oscars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 8, 2021 11:19 AM

Somebody upthread said that one of Allen's two main genres was "I have to take a momento and get really maudlin now," but sometimes his maudlin could also be sublime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 8, 2021 11:25 AM

"Peter shurely was a homoshexshual, but he was alsho a sphlendid encourasher of yoursh truly."

by Anonymousreply 62June 8, 2021 11:41 AM

Hugh Jackman doing "Love Don't Need A Reason" from "The Boy From Oz"....

Yes, there were more than a few teary eyes night I was there....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 8, 2021 11:52 AM

He was homosexualist who made Oliva Newman-John the lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 64June 8, 2021 11:53 AM

For those that say Peter Allen never "came out", he didn't have to did he?

Love Don't Need A Reason was released and began being performed by Peter Allen in 1998, just four years after his life partner Gregory Connell died of HIV/AIDs related illness, and four years before Mr. Allen's own demise from same causes.

There was no mistaking what the song was about and when Peter Allen sang and contributed writing who he was thinking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 8, 2021 12:07 PM

Michael Callen co-wrote Love Don't Need A Reason, and again the meaning is quite clear.

Song may be sappy, maudlin or whatever, but this is one of the few tools gay community had back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 8, 2021 12:13 PM

Carole Bayer Sager was a friend, writing several songs with him (including Arthur's Theme) - she had some good anecdotes about him in her book.

by Anonymousreply 67June 8, 2021 12:16 PM

I go to Rio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 8, 2021 12:23 PM

I saw him in concert WITH MY MOTHER circa 1982 in suburban Philadelphia. We were fans from PA’s appearances on Merv Griffin.

Top that teenage gays.

by Anonymousreply 69June 8, 2021 12:28 PM

A bunch of my very gay friends and I saw Peter and Bernadette Peters 21 Jul 1989 at Poplar Creek, a suburban Chicago outdoor venue. Near the stage it was us surrounded by blue-haired old ladies. We were in hysterics at how he taunted the old fans. His Rio number had him shaking those maracas positioned like two balls and him jacking someone off. It was a great show, full of camp fun and the ladies really had no clue as to what was going on.

I have friends who knew him professionally and personally in NYC and they still talk about how much fun he was.

by Anonymousreply 70June 8, 2021 12:37 PM

[quote] and one of the old bitties turned to me

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 71June 8, 2021 6:43 PM

Oh, dear, r71.

See sense 2, below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 8, 2021 7:56 PM

I think Peter Allen would approve and is smiling wherever he is now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 9, 2021 12:18 PM

Qantas must be paying Peter Allen's estate plenty....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 9, 2021 12:20 PM

IIRC Qantas no longer flies 747's from USA to OZ. More the pity because it was such a wonderful to make that very long flight quite bearable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 9, 2021 12:22 PM

Qantas no longer flies anything from the USA to Oz. The borders are shut.

by Anonymousreply 76June 9, 2021 1:29 PM

R76

My dear, don't you comprehend difference between temporary and permanent?

Air travel eventually will resume to Oz to and from other countries. But Qantas won't be flying 747 aircraft any longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2021 12:32 AM

Patronising much? No Australian could have missed all the publicity about the retirement of the 747s at the time. I was making a small attempt at flippancy, is all. Your "eventually" is still a bloody long way off.

by Anonymousreply 78June 10, 2021 2:11 PM

[quote]Your "eventually" is still a bloody long way off.

Ain't it, sister.

by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2021 2:30 PM

Sympathies, R79. I hope you make it back soon, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2021 3:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!