Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Trader Joe's Products

For those queens that are not too snobby, too picky or too trashy to shop there, what are some of your favorite products?

I cannot live without their Hatch Green Salsa, Romano Caesar Dressing, canned artichoke hearts, black bean and cheese burrito (not frozen), and their tomato feta soup (freshly made daily).

by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2022 3:49 PM

I'm gonna cunt in and say we just did this, doll.

But I happen to like the dark chocolate peanut butter cups and the orange marmalade.

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2021 10:38 AM

i love the elote corn (frozen) i use it in all kinds of things

orange chicken and frozen fried rice, the breaded tilapia, i liked their garlic fries before they discontinued them

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2021 10:41 AM

They seem to have canceled of most of the unique things I used to like to get there, e.g. green tea yogurt and mocha yogurt, and oil-packed roasted Mediterranean vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2021 10:48 AM

R3 - seems like they got a few new things my sister was raving about. I definitely will make a pit stop when I get there.

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2021 10:50 AM

They have a few good curries. Several with jackfruit, which I like.

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2021 2:56 PM

R5 - too scared to try the jackfruit patties. I always found fresh jackfruit smelled like my feet after 2 hours at the gym.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2021 2:57 PM

R6. They’re really really good. I also love TJ’s spring rolls.

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2021 3:00 PM

Dolmas and tzatziki sauce. They have great spices, too.

by Anonymousreply 8July 28, 2021 10:29 AM

I like eggs.

by Anonymousreply 9July 28, 2021 10:54 AM

Sorry, none of this prefab food for me. Nothing about TJ appeals. A few of the basics are okay. Coffee. Olive oil. Nuts. But half the store is filled with crap and after leaving TJ... I still have to go to a real grocery.

by Anonymousreply 10July 28, 2021 11:05 AM

Don't ever get too attached to any TJ's product, because it will likely be discontinued at some point.

by Anonymousreply 11July 28, 2021 12:52 PM

I’ve been attempting low carb, and I’m loving their hearts of palm noodles and the cauliflower sandwich thins.

The one non-keto thing I can’t give up is their chocolate covered ginger. I’m addicted.

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2021 12:57 AM

i love the frozen penne arrabiata.

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2021 1:03 AM

Fresh cut flowers, frozen chocolate covered banana slices.

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2021 1:09 AM

Mixed Nut Butter and Creamy Sesame Dressing might be my two favorites. Elote Corn Chip Dippers, Dark Sweet Cherries (frozen) Fudge chip vanilla ice cream (can't remember the exact name) Blister Peanuts, Green Tea Mochi, Lemon Curd, French Vanilla coffee Garlic BBQ Sriacha, and Creamy Feta Dressing. The last two things mixed together are soooo good.

I've been 360+ miles from a TJ's for the last year+ as a caregiver to my mom with Alzheimer's, so these things are all a dream to me.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2021 1:10 AM

Chicken Tikka Samosas!

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2021 1:30 AM

Vitamin E oil

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2021 1:43 AM

I rub it into my asshole everyday

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2021 1:44 AM

r15 Have someone send you a TJ's care package. I used to send a big box of TJ's stuff to people who lived in non-TJ's areas back in the '80s. Back then they were pretty much only in California.

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2021 1:47 AM

Salted peanut butter filled pretzels. I also like their triple cream brie.

by Anonymousreply 20October 5, 2021 1:48 AM

The frozen almond croissants are legitimate. They have chocolate ones as well.

Also TJ's Oven Baked Cheese Bites with Black Summer Truffle (seasonal). My cat gets aggressive when I eat these; they’re more tempting than any cat treat, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2021 1:48 AM

[quote]The frozen almond croissants are legitimate. They have chocolate ones as well.

Are you talking about the ones that you bake yourself after letting them thaw and rise overnight? You're right about those--they're amazing and I've never run across anything similar at another store.

by Anonymousreply 22October 5, 2021 1:51 AM

Snobby, picky or trashy if we don't shop at a marketing-dream crap store?

OP is a cultist. A MAGA Joe.

by Anonymousreply 23October 5, 2021 1:55 AM

R22, yes. They are just as nice as any bakery’s, and they’re like $1 each.

by Anonymousreply 24October 5, 2021 2:03 AM

The dried mangoes with no added sugar are 1/4 the price of Whole Foods. The frozen pie crust is the best that I’ve ever had, and is better than most homemade crusts even.

by Anonymousreply 25October 5, 2021 2:58 AM

I haven't tried the almond croissants, but the chocolate ones aren't anything special compared to what you'd get at a good French bakery.

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2021 4:40 AM

The chocolate covered potato chips are a caloric war crime and worth every bite.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2022 3:49 PM

Dark chocolate peanut butter cups & the Tarte D'Alsace (frozen section, with the pizzas).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2022 4:21 PM

The overall majority of their products are GMO. I'm not sure why so many people see it as being a healthier alternate supermarket. It's not.

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2022 4:25 PM

I pretty much love anything there.

I’m especially fond of their salads and Mushroom Fettuccine.

The Fettuccine is AMAZING for dealing with carbs cravings.

They also have really good cracker shaped, dried cheese and salami packages. Perfect when you’re on the go and want something light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2022 4:25 PM

There was a product call Maple Streusel Bread. At room temp it’s dry. Toast it and it’s a party in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2022 4:52 PM

Pretty basic but I prefer their Japan-brewed soy sauce to all others and I like their capers that come in a wide mouth jar. Those tall skinny jars of capers in the supermarkets are ridiculous, you can’t even get a teaspoon in.

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2022 4:55 PM

I’m a fatty so I stay away from the sweets (mostly) but I like dipping my baby carrots in TJ’s cauliflower-jalapeño dip (even though the base is cream cheese it is relatively low carb and delish). I also like a banana with some sunflower “butter” from TJs.

Those cauliflower rounds are very filling, which is nice.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2022 5:07 PM

r1 I liked their marmalade as well, it's been discontinued at the TJ™ that I frequent. It was very tasty, nice bitterness to it, although Chivers'™ is better on all counts.

r11 You know it. Liked their brewed Black Tea in gallon jugs-GWTW.

Just got back from my monthly stock-up. Asked them about when the pannetore, the large and the minis would be in and they said o/a 9 NOV. Last Christmas season the mini stollen were unavailable, same thing for this yearl. The large ones are coming early November as well.

My faves there are: All manner of berries; Brussels sprouts; guacamole(6 pk minis and the 8oz trays) sliced roasted turkey; many of the Indian frozen entrees; split-top hotdog buns(great for meatloaf sandwiches too) marinara sauce; mini-Brie(5pack) pita bread; mirepoix; Honeycrisp™ apples; prosciutto/mozzarella sticks; no-frills toothbrushes with curved handles; lobster ravioli(I get them for a friend and he loves them) I get the Rosemary Croutons for my SIL, she's a freak for anything rosemary-flavored, as am I.

There are so many things they sell, that you never see in other stores. Whatever team they have deciding what goes on their shelves is doing a bang-up job. Of course we hate it when stuff gets discontinued but that's the nature of retail. If price point can't be achieved, or sales are shitty, or too seasonal then out it goes. Grrrrr!

I think TJ™ has excellent prices across the board, considering their location(Center City Philadelphia) I'd have thought they'd be much more expensive. The store is small, no room to expand unfortunately, but they pack any amazing variety into it(no wine sales though) They have another slightly larger location about 10 blocks away, went there once and hated the parking set-up.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2022 5:13 PM

Aldi's peanut butter cups are the same as TJ's.

That is the only Aldi item I have found to be the same as TJ's.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2022 5:13 PM

Agreed on the dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Delicious. Also the mini ice cream cones are very satisfying. Also there sourdough bread.

You can’t get everything there but a number of things are very good.

A better thread might be on what not to get there: their salads and bagged lettuce are within hours of spoiling. And the aforementioned bread, while great, needs to be checked for the best by date always.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2022 5:14 PM

Nothing.

They’ve cancelled everything I used to buy there. About 100 items over the years.

Oh wait - I buy a few boxes of the Irish teacher if I happen to be near Trader Joe.

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2022 5:18 PM

Irish tea bags

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2022 5:18 PM

Soy egg nog at Christmas.

Vegetable wash concentrate

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2022 5:21 PM

I liked the long-discontinued frozen palak paneer. Their lamb vindaloo is a bit pricey, but I keep some on hand when I don't feel like cooking - just add some nuked frozen peas to the plate as well.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2022 5:23 PM

The burrata and prosciutto flatbread made in Italy, the brioche bread, many of the cheeses, the fresh enchiladas in tomatillo sauce, scallion pancakes, orange chicken, fried rice, tempura shrimp. Don't care for any of the pasta concoctions.

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2022 5:25 PM

Trader Joe's doesn't have the best quality for most items, but the price/value makes up for it. The chocolate isn't the best, but you'd much more to get better quality stuff.

Also, their novelty stuff is good - I like their dark chocolate dunked JoJos with peppermint flakes that they have around the holidays. I always buy a couple boxes for the freezer to eat later. They often have random stuff that I've never seen - this summer they had this jalapeno, lime, and onion in oil in these little jars that were great on a variety of meats and salmon.

The WORST thing is that TJs often has unique stuff that they suddenly decide to discountinue. They used to have a pineapple seltzer that was fantastic - gone. They had these dark chocolate crisps that were shaped like Pringles - gone. It allows rollouts of new products, but it's so irritating when it happens to somethng you really liked.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2022 5:25 PM

[quote] scallion pancakes

Long discontinued at my Trader Joe’s.

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2022 5:47 PM

Canned sweet corn.

Still miss their bean chips.

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote] Those tall skinny jars of capers in the supermarkets are ridiculous, you can’t even get a teaspoon in.

I like them, because they give me an opportunity to use an iced tea spoon. It's the culinary equivalent of dialing the phone with a pencil.

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2022 6:23 PM

Their seasonal Ube Mochi pancakes are LEGIT.

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2022 6:25 PM

R43, that's odd. All of the TJ near me have them. One of their most popular items.

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2022 6:39 PM

There is one opening across the street from my office next month, could be trouble!

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2022 6:41 PM

The scallion pancakes come and go. Easy to make in my airfryer attachment to my Instant Pot.

The lite guacamole (made with some yogurt) tastes very good, and doesn't turn brown like regular guac in the refrigerator in a day or two.

The lo-carb tortillas are very good, too.

Yes, the little ice cream cones are great. The pumpkin pie ones sell out pretty quickly, as do the tubs of regular pumpkin pie ice cream. They are limited time items.

by Anonymousreply 49October 20, 2022 6:49 PM

The Triple Ginger cookies are not good, not gingery, and are overrated, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2022 6:51 PM

They got rid of those ginger gluten-free (that part of which didn't really concern me), but they melted in your mouth and were delicious.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2022 6:54 PM

I eat a cup (or a half cup, if I'm not that hungry) of their High Fiber Cereal every morning.

I just tried their vegan enchilada casserole, it was OK, probably won't buy it again.

I also just tried their chile & cheese tamales, and I'm a fan. Those I definitely will buy again.

I second the hearts of palm pasta noodles.

It's been years, and I still mourn the discontinuance of their ratatouille.

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2022 7:09 PM

[quote]The overall majority of their products are GMO.

This is simply untrue, R29. Products under the *Trader Joe's* label are NOT GMO.

[quote] I'm not sure why so many people see it as being a healthier alternate supermarket. It's not.

Well, I agree with you, here! Although TJ's products are not GMO, many of them are LOADED with fat and/or a shocking amount sodium -- far from "healthy". (but they do taste good)

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2022 8:13 AM

Few of the products I was considering purchasing during the last 2 visits stated that they were non-GMO. Rule of thumb is that if they do not mention it on the package, they are very likely GMO.

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2022 1:09 PM

Their frozen food is not very good. I got some kind of blueberry pie ice cream that was disgusting, with clay-like chunks of dough.

by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2022 1:34 PM

Tomorrow I’m making my once every three month run to TJs - any recommendations of condiments/ pantry items that would be good for the holidays/entertaining?

by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2022 1:39 PM

R56 if they still have the kouign ammans, they’re very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 21, 2022 1:59 PM

Oolong iced tea

by Anonymousreply 58October 21, 2022 2:02 PM

R56, the frozen artichoke timbales are pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 59October 21, 2022 2:31 PM

Thanks r57 & r59! I recommend the red pepper spread with garlic and egplant - so yummy with flatbread & feta.

by Anonymousreply 60October 21, 2022 2:45 PM

[quote]The overall majority of their products are GMO. I'm not sure why so many people see it as being a healthier alternate supermarket. It's not.

And why would anyone with a brain care? There has never been a single credible piece of evidence that GMO is harmful to your health.

by Anonymousreply 61October 21, 2022 2:51 PM

If you were better informed you will know that GMO products have synthetic origin and your body responds differently to food that is genetically modified, such as increasing inflammation. Also the nutrition value is usually less and the digestive system does not absorb the nutrients as well. That is part of the reason you may find yourself hungry, because no matter how much you eat, you're still not getting the nutrition you need.

by Anonymousreply 62October 21, 2022 3:35 PM

r62 No one cares about your opinion. Please cite scientific EVIDENCE.

by Anonymousreply 63October 21, 2022 3:38 PM

Their frozen Chocolate Croissants aka Petits Pains au Chocolat are as good as any you get from a bakery in France and better than most.

by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2022 3:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!