Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Madonna's greatest achievement

We all know Madonna is the queen of pop, and by pop I mean pussy poppin. Which achievement do you think she will be remembered the most by?

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2021 9:15 PM

She's annoying and an attention-seeking hypocrite but I will give her credit. She has one of the most consistent discographies of any pop star I've ever heard. At least until 2005. I wasn't around for her in her prime years (the 80s) but I completely understand why she was so popular once I went and binge-listened to her albums and watched a lot of her music videos. Her music was actually really good and her videos had concepts and excellent cinematography. A lot of young people really don't know her discography that well because she doesn't promote any of her classics at all. "Like A Virgin" and "Material Girl" are most likely the only ones younger kids could name. It's easy to write her off as a crazy old lady and that's mainly the fault of Madge herself.

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2021 2:17 AM

Mastering NPD.

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2021 2:20 AM

[quote] Collabing with Justin Timberlake in a desperate bid for relevance.

She was way late too. Timbaland's and Danja's sound was already becoming outdated by 2008.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2021 2:26 AM

Like many icons, once she dies her reputation will be better. People will focus on her earlier years of success not the twilight desperateness. Like how most people focus on Bette Davis's career from Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and back, or when people talk about Elvis almost no one talks about his career post the 68 comeback special.

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2021 2:42 AM

Being singlehandedly responsible for popularizing the fashion trend not only of wearing of undergarments on the outside, but of wearing nothing on the outside either (physically, mentally, ironically or satirically).

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2021 2:46 AM

[quote] Being singlehandedly responsible for popularizing the fashion trend not only of wearing of undergarments on the outside, but of wearing nothing on the outside either (physically, mentally, ironically or satirically).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2021 2:48 AM

OP has posted all the responses.

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2021 2:51 AM

OP I give you kudos. You chose really hard, low-points in her career to choose from. As someone who loved her, loathed her, and then ignored her, it reminded me that - while age and decade changes usually get to pop stars - pure ambition or talent or a combination of both - can keep them relevant. Think El-TON, Billy Joel, Babs, CHER!, The Rolling Stones, Britney, Ringo and Macca, and though I loathe them, U2. While not a taste for all, Cyndi Lauper brought her career back from the coffin to become an enduring artist.

Madonna, while questionable on talent, once had the ambition and self awareness. The only person responsible for destroying Madonna's legacy is Madonna.

Perhaps her greatest achievement is keeping a secret what a shallow, copycat cunt she was for decades. Her thirst to be relevant through social media pulled back the Great Oz's curtain fast and hard.

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2021 2:52 AM

Not R4

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2021 3:20 AM

38 Top 10 songs plus enough awesome songs that didn't make the top 10 to make up 2 or 3 greatest hits albums

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2021 5:14 AM

Madonna probably could fill a greatest hits album with unreleased tracks and demos. Some super catchy stuff. I think she wrote this alone and Avicii produced it....I love how stripped down it is with the piano (Which is probably a keyboard but sounds like a piano).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2021 5:19 AM

R11, that's track you chose?? Madonna does have a million great album tracks/demos. But that's not one of them.

The song you chose COULD be catchy. But the lyrics are horrible and forced. (I don't doubt she wrote them.) And she sings it all wrong. The song calls for more grittier singing. More snarl.

Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 12June 10, 2021 7:58 AM

Madonna thinks she's too good to be a legacy act and desperately tries to keep making current sounding music to compete with the likes of Beyonce, Gaga and Ariana. She'll release one good track once in a while like "God Control". What she really needs to do to push out some re-releases of her 80s and 90s stuff, HD updates of her music videos and promote the hell out of it. Her streaming numbers would improve. She's one of the last few 80s pop stars that's still alive and needs to remind people of that.

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2021 1:48 PM

I don't really care about her one way or the other, but this is a stupid post.

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2021 9:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!