Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The FDA Warns People Not to Eat Cicadas if They Have a Seafood Allergy

You cannot make this shit up. Apparently cicada tacos are all the rage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2021 7:30 PM

Americans are a hopeless breed

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2021 3:24 PM

OP, about 75% of the world eats bugs. Grow up and try learning something for once.

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2021 3:26 PM

NOOOOO! But they're insect-lickin' good!

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2021 3:27 PM

You should’ve known this would happen after [italic]The Lion King[/italic] tried to normalize the eating of bugs.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2021 3:40 PM

Why is eating terrestrial bugs so off-putting to many people, yet they will pay over $100 for an aquatic bug dinner at a seafood restaurant (king crab, stone crab, lobster?

I admit that I am one of those. I consider myself to be an adventurous diner, but I can't get past the ick factor of eating worms, grubs, insects, spiders, etc. Yet I will eat sea slugs, oysters, fried shrimp heads and sea urchins without a second thought.

Our cicadas should be emerging any day, but I don't think I will be fighting with my dogs over who gets first dibs.

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2021 3:52 PM

Okay but... That's helpful advice for once, potentially life-saving so... It's not like "contents may be hot.*

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2021 3:57 PM

Here's an article that includes cicada recipes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2021 4:07 PM

Shrimp and shellfish are not related to fish at all. Humans and fish are far closer in relation than either are to shellfish. That's why the "baby tastes" queen on here is a cunt of the highest order always talking about people and what they eat. Eating shellfish is tantamount to eating cicadas and roaches.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2021 4:09 PM

I have never understood why people will happily chow down on prawns and mussels etc but balk at eating crickets, grubs, snails etc. To me it's the same, although I didn't realise that they were almost literally the same (cicadas = prawns) if they are close enough to trigger seafood allergies.

For the record, I don't want to eat bugs and I don't want to eat sea bugs - although I have eaten crickets, snails and various seafood at least once.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2021 4:13 PM

I dream of a day when we all play Ants in the Pants with crickets and grasshoppers - springing them into an air fryer for the protein portion of our meals.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2021 4:18 PM

Shit like this makes me glad I am a vegan.

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2021 7:07 PM

Does this mean they’re not kosher?

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2021 7:29 PM

I agree, R9. I don’t eat any invertebrates.

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2021 7:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!