Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barbra Streisand Releases Unreleased Material

“ Release Me 2 - Coming August 6 - A new collection containing previously unreleased tracks from Barbra’s vault.”

What do you think it will be? The studio recording of Make Our Garden Grow? Live songs from the International Hotel? It Doesn’t Get Better Than This? Tracks of My Tears?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 12, 2021 6:21 PM

You're in the wrong place for that discussion, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2021 2:27 AM

What do you mean, R1?

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2021 2:29 AM

Who cares.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2021 2:30 AM

Great cover. Will it include "Please Release Me"?

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2021 2:30 AM

It will include her audition tracks for EVITA.

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2021 2:33 AM

Its a sad day when even the old dears on DL couldnt give a shit about La Streisand anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2021 2:36 AM

Supposedly this will include among other things her cover of Nina Simone's "Four Women"--so excited to hear her sing that..

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2021 2:38 AM

Here is all the unreleased songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2021 2:38 AM

Better link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2021 2:46 AM

How can it be unreleased material if she released it?

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2021 2:47 AM

[Quote] "Type Thang" (Isaac Hayes from the movie Shaft’s Big Score;)

Type Thang...?!

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2021 2:49 AM

Jon Peters' memoir, "Studio Chief," should finally be released as a tie-in.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2021 2:51 AM

Babs really didn't have a feel for contemporary black material.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2021 2:51 AM

This is early stuff so it’s all likely better than her recent boring material. But, they were unreleased for a reason, so we’ll see

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2021 3:06 AM

The early stuff was pre movie stardom. She was recording crap by the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2021 3:08 AM

Would love to hear this in higher quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2021 4:11 AM

The supposed list is pretty underwhelming - nearly all 70s-80s-90s. Among them are Duets with Willie Nelson & Kermit the Frog ("Rainbow Connection") , a song cut from "Guilty", a song cut from "Stony End" , and only one cut from the '60s , a previously unreleased take of "Right as the Rain" .

No "Make Our Garden Grow" or anything from the Ellsberg concert.

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2021 4:20 AM

R2, this is not a Streisand friendly site. It would be better if you go back to the fawning groups on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2021 1:51 PM

Is this sort of a 'cleanse' album for Babs?

by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2021 1:53 PM

Why release your shit? How many Tiffany lamps does this bitch need?

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2021 1:56 PM

The Barbra Archives page lists the unreleased song Napoleon, recorded in 1965, as "E.Y. Harburg and Harold Arlen wrote this list song that Streisand performed in her early club act." LIST SONG? It was written for the musical Jamaica, written for the star, Lena Horne. As has been confirmed by her sister Roslyn Kind, Barbra was a big Lena Horne fan and copied from her frequently. However, she'll never admit it, NEVER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2021 2:02 PM

I bought her previous collection of unreleased songs and realized why they had been unreleased.

by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2021 2:20 PM

[quote] She must have been wandering the shops of her basement mall when she found her old tunes in the dollar bin.

Ah, just a little feather dusting and ready for re-release, or first release, or whatever fans will pay for! That should be enough for another chicken coop, bee farm... or, whatever I am suppose to do these days.

by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2021 2:27 PM

Better that they're releasing old ones instead of new ones.

by Anonymousreply 24June 3, 2021 2:51 PM

Long ago, I read somewhere about a great take of "Make the Man Love Me." Guess we'll finally get to hear it?

by Anonymousreply 25June 3, 2021 3:05 PM

Great news for Streisand fans. The Voice of our times!

by Anonymousreply 26June 3, 2021 3:10 PM

For early preorders, they include a pdf of secret taint shots of Mandy Patinkin from Yentl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 3, 2021 3:11 PM

R25 here. I'm having a moment of....Mandela Effect? I am convinced I have never, ever heard the track "Make the Man Love Me" that is on the album "Simply Streisand." I'm listening now on Youtube, in disbelief. As a longtime Barbra fanatic, especially of her 60s albums, I of course had that one on vinyl and vividly remember every other track, in detail. What's wrong with me? Did I simply dislike or skip over "Make the Man Love Me"? Help!

by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2021 4:55 PM

Barbra's version of "Make Our Garden Grow" has been on Youtube for years. I don't understand why people are upset that it's not on the upcoming album when they can already watch and listen to it anytime they want.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2021 5:02 PM

Sound quality?

by Anonymousreply 30June 3, 2021 5:07 PM

I don't know how you could block that track from your mind, R28. It includes Barbra's customary grunting and heavy breathing!

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2021 5:34 PM

Although that’s great, it’s in shitty quality.

by Anonymousreply 32June 3, 2021 5:41 PM

In the 60s Sinatra made a highly regarded album with Antônio Carlos Jobim .

I wish Babs had done some bossa nova...her voice would have been perfect for it.

by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2021 6:54 PM

R33 Agree. I always liked her "How Does the Wine Taste" and "One Note Samba," which I believe is about as close as she got.

by Anonymousreply 34June 3, 2021 7:00 PM

I'm hoping for that most holy of "introuvables de Barbra": "A Hanukkah Album."

by Anonymousreply 35June 3, 2021 7:17 PM

I think Streisand is not right for bossa nova AT ALL. Bossa nova requires subtly, something Babs knows nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 36June 3, 2021 10:06 PM

R25/28, it wasn’t on the original record.. when older albums are transferred to CD, tracks are frequently added to bulk up the playlist (and get people who bought the record to buy the CD). Sometimes the additions are lousy, like the tracks added to Barbara Cook’s Carnegie Hall recording. Soft rock by Wally Harper!

by Anonymousreply 37June 3, 2021 10:37 PM

Who would want new materials from a grandma ?

by Anonymousreply 38June 3, 2021 11:01 PM

The problem with Barbra is that by the mid 80s, she was so widely acclaimed and outrageously rich, that there wasn't much left for her to do. She then developed an even greater taste for soporific ballads and abandoned all pretensions of staying relevant, by refusing to add to her albums at least one or two songs that kept up with current musical trends. That is why she has been stuck in "middle-aged romance novel reader" hell ever since. The only exceptions were her clumsy attempt at recapturing the magic of Guilty (her best album, without a single doubt) in 2005, and Walls in 2009 - both these albums had better material than most of what she has released since 1988, but by the 00s the bar was so low that almost ANYTHING would have been an improvement on her recent repertoire.

Also, she hasn't taken proper care of her voice and seems to think that rasping her way through songs that mostly sound exactly like everything she has released before, is doing more than enough. This makes it difficult to awaken interest in anyone - after all, if she can't be bothered to give something worthy of interest to her fans, why should people give a damn?

In short, an excessively big ego and a public that has overindulged her for too long, do not make for the release of good material. And if the songs in this album were not considered good enough to be released, I fear to imagine how impossibly boring they're going to be... By the way, I have a hard time believing that ANYONE would have asked for this.

by Anonymousreply 39June 3, 2021 11:26 PM

And yet her sales remained steady over decades. People like tripe.

by Anonymousreply 40June 3, 2021 11:33 PM

R37 Really??? So I'm not insane? Well - on this matter, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 41June 4, 2021 1:12 AM

Well, I for one am thankful we have "Judy at Carnegie Hall" uncut and in show order, thanks to Cee Dee.

by Anonymousreply 42June 4, 2021 1:21 AM

Doesn't Barry Dennen own original audiotapes of Streisand singing in her early 20s?

I read she asked him for them and he told her "no" and she got a schpilkis in her gonectazoink over it.

by Anonymousreply 43June 4, 2021 1:42 AM

[quote]The problem with Barbra is that by the mid 80s, she was so widely acclaimed and outrageously rich, that there wasn't much left for her to do

You mean by the mid-70s

by Anonymousreply 44June 4, 2021 2:02 AM

R43, that would be late teens. Columbia Records has the recording in her early 20s as she was already a big recording star.

by Anonymousreply 45June 4, 2021 2:20 AM

Thanks for clarifying, r45.

Wow. Now , those I'd like to hear.

I wonder what Dennen wants to do with them. Not that he has to do a damn thing with them if he doesn't want to. I wonder if he's offered to sell them to Streisand and she's balking at paying what he is asking for.

His ownership of them must be beyond dispute or you'd think she'd have filed suit against him for them.

by Anonymousreply 46June 4, 2021 3:00 AM

Barry Dennen died in 2017.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 4, 2021 3:13 AM

Did anyone read Barry’s Barbra book?

by Anonymousreply 48June 4, 2021 3:23 AM

snap up a copy when you see it at Goodwill.....they're very pricey online

by Anonymousreply 49June 4, 2021 3:44 AM

Dennen tried the auction the tapes in 2009 shortly before he died for a million dollars plus. Nobody bid.

I suspect that Streisand quietly bought the tapes from his estate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 4, 2021 4:10 AM

R17, anything from the Broadway albums?

by Anonymousreply 51June 4, 2021 4:50 AM

R47 I bought his memoir at a Thrift Store a number of years ago but never finished reading all of it. He had a relationship with Babs many years ago before he knew he was gay. He stated in the book that many years later she phoned him up one day, out of the blue, and asked him, "Why do people hate me?" Apparently she was quite perplexed and upset.

by Anonymousreply 52June 4, 2021 5:25 AM

Barry Dennen is very good on the London Cast recording of "Cabaret." He played the Emcee to Judi Dench's Sally Bowles.

by Anonymousreply 53June 4, 2021 5:34 AM

[quote]He stated in the book that many years later she phoned him up one day, out of the blue, and asked him, "Why do people hate me?"

"Your mall has exorbitant parking fees and shoddy merchandise." Click

by Anonymousreply 54June 4, 2021 5:40 AM

The part in Barré's book where he wrote about his relationship with Babs ending was interesting. According to him she claimed that she had walked in on him having sex with a man in their apartment and described the sex partner as a black man.

Barré denied that what Babs claimed had happened. It's been a long time since I read the book but I think he wrote that Babs was remembering things wrongly. He didn't deny that he was gay and had been cheating on Babs with men during their time together, but the specific incident that Babs cited as the reason for their breakup could never have happened. The reason? Barré was and never has been attracted to black men and therefore he maintained that there was simply no way Babs could have walked in on him having sex with a black guy.

In other words he basically wrote "Yes, I may have been screwing a bunch of guys unbeknownst to my girlfriend but ewww, no coloreds for Barré Dennen."

by Anonymousreply 55June 4, 2021 5:46 AM

When did Babs even have cause to talk about Barry Dennen in public?

by Anonymousreply 56June 4, 2021 5:57 AM

[quote] The only exceptions were her clumsy attempt at recapturing the magic of Guilty (her best album, without a single doubt) in 2005, and Walls in 2009 - both these albums had better material than most of what she has released since 1988.

I disagree, r39. I loved the Back to Broadway album (1993), the Christmas Memories album (2001), and Partners (2014), although she doesn't sound great on Partners.

Last time I saw her in concert, around 2016ish, its was pretty bad. Most respectable singers retire from singing once their voice starts to go. Not Babs. She'll be croaking her way though showtunes and sappy love ballads until she's six feet under. It was still an event to behold, though.

by Anonymousreply 57June 4, 2021 7:08 AM

[quote] he phoned him up one day, out of the blue, and asked him, "Why do people hate me?"

Because you're a cunt, Babs. Next question.

by Anonymousreply 58June 4, 2021 7:10 AM

I think Dennen exaggerated the extent of his involvement in the early years of Streisand's career. He claimed that she was essentially his creation which is nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2021 11:05 AM

[quote] I think Streisand is not right for bossa nova AT ALL. Bossa nova requires subtly, something Babs knows nothing about.

She's no Connie Francis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2021 11:50 AM

R55 calls Barry Dennen "Barre." That means it charlie.

Barry Dennen was an early Streisand friend among many. Yes, he was her "boyfriend" for a while. But when her career picked up, she moved on. As with many stars, they drop their old friends. Dennen refused to accept this. It doesn't matter if she was a bitch or not, move the fuck on. Streisand didn't talk to him for decades, and he was still hanging on. She didn't cast him in a movie? MOVE ON.

I find Barry Dennen quite pitiful. Catch him at the end of Trading Places offering lobster and cracked crab.

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2021 3:15 PM

I bet you didn't know that Barry Dennen was in The Shining.

by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2021 3:27 PM

Everyone who knows who Barry Dennen is knows he's in The Shinning. He's the dull one with the nose job who isn't Barry Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2021 4:20 PM

Does anyone under the age of 70 care about this?

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2021 4:24 PM

Well, I started the thread and I’m 31, R64.

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2021 5:27 PM

R65 Sure.😉

by Anonymousreply 66June 4, 2021 9:16 PM

[quote]Barry Dennen was an early Streisand friend among many. Yes, he was her "boyfriend" for a while. But when her career picked up, she moved on. As with many stars, they drop their old friends. Dennen refused to accept this. It doesn't matter if she was a bitch or not, move the fuck on. Streisand didn't talk to him for decades, and he was still hanging on. She didn't cast him in a movie? MOVE ON.

Barry supposedly had a lot to do with honing Streisand's act early on, from song material, etc. The moment she made it big she dropped him. I'd say that's different from being just a regular friend.

Early Streisand had such a gay sensibility, no it's not such a stretch that a gay man helped shape her.

by Anonymousreply 67June 4, 2021 9:23 PM

And Early Streisand was the Best Streisand.

More interesting songs and not taking herself so seriously.

by Anonymousreply 68June 4, 2021 9:35 PM

Not THAT early, R68, More like a few years later, 1963-64.

R67, he was only one of them, not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 69June 4, 2021 10:12 PM

r51: Nothing. For years fans have been hoping for an official release of "Make Our Garden Grow" from CANDIDE which exists in muddy bootlegs. No dice this time.

A very underwhelming, disappointing selection.

by Anonymousreply 70June 4, 2021 10:17 PM

[quote] And Early Streisand was the Best Streisand. More interesting songs and not taking herself so seriously.

She also didn't sound like a five-pack-a-day smoker in the early years, bless her.

by Anonymousreply 71June 4, 2021 10:24 PM

Do we think Barbara's "I feel like a faggot" excursion was her revenge on Barry Denne?

by Anonymousreply 72June 4, 2021 10:24 PM

R70, at least we are getting When the Lovin’ Goes Out of the Lovin’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 4, 2021 10:26 PM

R73 Ew!

by Anonymousreply 74June 4, 2021 10:31 PM

[quote]Do we think Barbara's "I feel like a faggot" excursion was her revenge on Barry Denne?

Better question is did she feel stupid for saying that when she found out her son was a faggot? And I wonder what he thinks of that remark.

by Anonymousreply 75June 4, 2021 10:39 PM

Dennen as Judas in the film version of JCS. He's excellent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 5, 2021 2:47 AM

Judas? I thought he was Pontius Pilate?

by Anonymousreply 77June 5, 2021 2:56 AM

Ooops, you're right, r77- Pontius Pilate

by Anonymousreply 78June 5, 2021 2:58 AM

R78 He was excellent, though. On the original brown album too.

by Anonymousreply 79June 5, 2021 2:58 AM

R60 A great track. When I first hear it, I thought "What was she thinking?" However, over the years, the track emerged in and of itself. I believe it was a huge hit in Brazil. An unusual song for Connie Francis and well done.

by Anonymousreply 80June 5, 2021 3:01 AM

Dennen was also in "The Shining" towards the beginning of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 81June 5, 2021 3:09 AM

R81, if you read this thread you'd know we already mentioned it. He was at the end of Trading Places too - already mentioned.

[quote]Better question is did she feel stupid for saying that when she found out her son was a faggot? And I wonder what he thinks of that remark.

Jason is just happy he has a trust fund and doesn't have to work. Everything else, including Bab's unmotherly kissing and cuddling, is forgiven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 5, 2021 1:09 PM

Does Babs' brother have any children? Is she closer to him than she is to her half sister? I assume Roslyn Kind probably doesn't like Babs trashing Roslyn's dad constantly and making him out to be a monster.

by Anonymousreply 83June 5, 2021 4:32 PM

Sheldon has a couple of kids. I don't think Bab's is close to either, other than a phone call now and then. They're not buddies. Roz is probably not invited to her sister's parties, they don't run in the same social circles. The brother still lives in New York I think.

Don't know about the brother, but Roz gets money from Barbra, therefore, whatever she really thinks, her mouth is CLOSED and will remain so.

by Anonymousreply 84June 5, 2021 4:45 PM

1971 - Babs with Jason and Sheldon's daughter, Mother K, Sheldon and Roslyn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 5, 2021 5:50 PM

R85 That's a great pic of Barbra. But not of anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 86June 5, 2021 5:55 PM

Weren't JFK, Jr. and Sheldon Streisand adverse parties in a law suit?

Iirc, something about land/real estate.

by Anonymousreply 87June 5, 2021 6:18 PM

Here are a few things you should know about Jason Gould: he is one of the most unassuming, loyal, and loving friends a person could ever have. People used to find him quirky and aloof, but he was really just quirky and shy. Here’s another thing: he has never had any of the temperament or entitlement issues one might ascribe to someone whose life seemed so charmed from the outside.

by Anonymousreply 88June 5, 2021 6:36 PM

Jason had a small but funny and memorable role in “The Big Picture.” I still imitate his bitchy delivery of the line “that’s not what I heard.”

by Anonymousreply 89June 5, 2021 6:43 PM

"The Big Picture" is funnier than his mom's movies.

by Anonymousreply 90June 5, 2021 6:46 PM

Can you upload the line to YouTube?

by Anonymousreply 91June 5, 2021 6:46 PM

R91 Sorry I don’t have a way of doing that, but I recommend the film, it’s a gem.

by Anonymousreply 92June 5, 2021 8:13 PM

Someone should do it. Let get Jason to go viral.

by Anonymousreply 93June 5, 2021 8:14 PM

*Let's get

by Anonymousreply 94June 5, 2021 8:14 PM

[Quote] Let's get Jason to go viral.

I'll get right on that.

by Anonymousreply 95June 5, 2021 8:15 PM

Kennedy family, R87, not JFK Jr

by Anonymousreply 96June 5, 2021 8:38 PM

r88 is correct. Jason could have easily become a druggy pill popping mess but he's always been very low key and clean. The worst you could say about him is he convinced his mother to do GUILT TRIP.

Barbra raised him right.

by Anonymousreply 97June 6, 2021 10:46 AM

OT but is “Blame It on the Bossa Nova” actually a bossa nova?

by Anonymousreply 98June 6, 2021 11:54 AM

Jason takes after his father, Streisand mentioned it several times. She also mentioned how she cannot understand his utter lack of ambition or desire to work.

by Anonymousreply 99June 6, 2021 4:12 PM

R99, that's odd considering how notoriously lazy and uninspired Streisand herself has been since around 1972. She talked a lot about very ambitious projects and future work but never followed through on any of them. Except maybe the overblown mess that was Mentl.

by Anonymousreply 100June 6, 2021 4:20 PM

She was talking about Jason in his YOUTH, in his 20s and 30s. That he never pursued any kind of career, and kind of a JOB with income.

by Anonymousreply 101June 6, 2021 4:29 PM

Was Jason doing the blond hunk who co-starred with him in the movie Subterfuge?

by Anonymousreply 102June 6, 2021 5:05 PM

Release me from her terrible screeching.

by Anonymousreply 103June 6, 2021 5:09 PM

Wasn’t this Barbra song written about her lust for Jason as a teenager?

Put out the light and close your eyes Come lie beside me, don't ask why

by Anonymousreply 104June 6, 2021 5:27 PM

Really disappointing selections- and that Willie Nelson duet is just awful. It is such a cumbersome song - and that faux cute dialogue at the end is cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 105June 6, 2021 5:33 PM

In what R65? Dog years?

by Anonymousreply 106June 6, 2021 5:35 PM

R105 What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 107June 6, 2021 5:55 PM

[quote] and that faux cute dialogue at the end is cringeworthy.

Is it as cringy as the dialogue her Movie Partners Sing Broadway album? That album is an embarrassment. At The Ballet sounds like "Sol Rosenburg in A Chorus Line."

by Anonymousreply 108June 6, 2021 6:16 PM

Just watched Jason's film Inside Out, it's cute but bland. I'm wondering if he sampled Alexis Arquette's huge cock.

by Anonymousreply 109June 7, 2021 3:26 AM

She is promoting the shit out of this with stuff like hoodies and scented candles.

If she put more songs on it (ten cuts seems awfully chintzy) and a better selection of material, she wouldn't need to do the extra shit.

Even among my fellow fans, enthusiasm is muted.

by Anonymousreply 110July 17, 2021 3:50 PM

I wonder if she paid Randy Rainbow to do that video/ad about the CD.

She may have thought she was doing him a favor -- and he may have agreed.

by Anonymousreply 111July 17, 2021 7:02 PM

"SHE" isn't doing anything, R110. You really think Babs is personally typing all that promotional shit on Facebook? It's a coordinated effort by the record label, decided in numerous meetings and budget forecasts for 2021.

by Anonymousreply 112July 17, 2021 7:17 PM

R39 is an idiot: listen to or watch her 94 and 00 concerts. Even the more recent one where her voice has a rasp. Fact: no vocalist alive or deceased has sung a wider breadth of music at the peak of recording standards for even close to as long. And if you think she’s only good in a studio, watch one of her concerts ‘67, ‘86, ‘94, ‘00, 06, ‘16. Or listen to her most recent cd “Walls”. She remains peerless and a standard all recording artists aspire to. Wall is one her best in years and sold poorly for her: too political but obviously close to her heart.

by Anonymousreply 113July 17, 2021 7:38 PM

Nice to hear from you again, charlie ^

[quote]the magic of Guilty (her best album, without a single doubt)

That line is what makes R39 an idiot.

R97, don't you know that celebrities/rich people so not raise their own children?

by Anonymousreply 114July 17, 2021 8:33 PM

r111: No question she paid him. Smart move.

by Anonymousreply 115July 17, 2021 8:48 PM

Barbara Cook sounded great until about 80. Babs has been declining noticeably for, what? Twenty years now?

by Anonymousreply 116July 17, 2021 9:47 PM

Singer's voices usually show decline at age 60, and at age 70 the bottom drops out. So they adjust. Rosemary Clooney mostly talked her lyrics. Tony Bennett croaked it out well, but his voice was not nearly as good as it was at 50. Singers like Peggy Lee got away with 'soft voicing' lyrics. Like Shirley Bassey does, Streisand could adjust her style to accommodate her aged instrument, but she insists on trying to be 40. When she was in her thirties, Streisand tried to be in her 20s. It's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 117July 17, 2021 10:50 PM

Marilyn Maye is a miracle!

by Anonymousreply 118July 17, 2021 11:10 PM

[Quote] When she was in her forties, Streisand tried to be in her 20s. It's pathetic.

Whatever do you mean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 17, 2021 11:12 PM

Jesus. That would be a ridiculous pose for a 25-year old. From the '80s onward, Barbra has been desperately selling herself as a sex-bomb.

Yes, Barbra, we can see. You have tits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 18, 2021 1:02 AM

Gam-Tastic, Barbra!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 18, 2021 1:05 AM

R120 I've always hated that pic. It is so contrived and self-conscious.

An album cover is an opportunity to promote the songs, not your collection of fadish furniture and fabrics.

by Anonymousreply 122July 18, 2021 1:26 AM

It's not unusual for an album cover to promote a lifestyle. Aspiration is a big part of pop.

by Anonymousreply 123July 18, 2021 1:27 AM

R120, that cover is from 1975. Babs = 33.

by Anonymousreply 124July 18, 2021 1:45 AM

[quote]She was talking about Jason in his YOUTH, in his 20s and 30s. That he never pursued any kind of career, and kind of a JOB with income.

That IS highly unusual with someone who is not learning impaired.

I would never let a kid access a trust until they were forty or even older, as it robs them of their possibilities and general development. What a terrible idea to not throw kids out of the nest and say, "Great, now it's all you!"

by Anonymousreply 125July 18, 2021 2:12 AM

Of course her voice has changed as she aged- starting really in her 60s. Her 2000 concert vid is extraordinary (she 57).. Nevertheless, ask anyone who has seen her live in the last 20 year or read her reviews. She remains peerless. As I suggested earlier, listen to Walls- particularly Lady Liberty and Take Care of This House- listen to the encore from her last concert, Didn’t know What Time It Was. Doesn’t get any better.

by Anonymousreply 126July 18, 2021 4:59 AM

R120, wasn't the album released in 1989 when Babs was 47? Or are you suggesting that she cheated and used a photo from 1975 for the cover?

by Anonymousreply 127July 18, 2021 5:48 AM

Yeah, R127 that photo is definitely 1989. The above poster got confused.

by Anonymousreply 128July 18, 2021 5:50 AM

How fucking lazy were Babs and Columbia records? She had a greatest hits release around 1979-80, another one with the bullshit "Memories" three years later, and then this "tits out" collection six or seven years later. She was never a hit singles artist, so it wasn't like they had enough new hit singles to merit three greatest hits releases in a space of ten years. Followed by a four-CD box set in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 129July 18, 2021 7:46 AM

You're wrong, R124. THIS similar album pose is from 1975:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 18, 2021 4:01 PM

Thats a sweet picture of her, r130. She isn't trying to be a pin-up girl.

by Anonymousreply 131July 18, 2021 6:18 PM

R129, why do I doubt Streisand is even 1/100 as lazy as you! God are people on these boards beyond idiocy-

by Anonymousreply 132July 19, 2021 12:10 AM

Will it include her cover of "My Lumps"?

by Anonymousreply 133July 19, 2021 12:30 AM

Please, please, I want her uncompleted take of "Milkshake."

by Anonymousreply 134July 19, 2021 12:32 AM

She's all but forgotten, as it should be.

by Anonymousreply 135July 19, 2021 11:21 PM

[quote]Thats a sweet picture of her, [R130]. She isn't trying to be a pin-up girl.

No, she's trying to be a hippie flower girl. Equally bogus.

by Anonymousreply 136July 20, 2021 12:19 PM

[quote]Barbra Streisand Releases Unreleased Material

Personally I have found Imodium to be a life-saver in these situations!

by Anonymousreply 137July 20, 2021 12:21 PM

One of my favorite pieces of Streisand horseshit was in the 80s or early 90s when she tried to attach herself to Madonna, declaring how unique she was. And how Madonna being daring and owning her image was "just like me when I started out." Right.

by Anonymousreply 138July 20, 2021 12:26 PM

Well, Babs did show her ass at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 139July 20, 2021 12:28 PM

There was talk of a GYPSY remake in the late 1980s with Babs and Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 140July 20, 2021 12:28 PM

That's it?

by Anonymousreply 141July 21, 2021 1:18 AM

I am in love with Rainbow Connection. Those 70s vocals are pure magic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 21, 2021 1:22 AM

Anyone wanna take this? ^

by Anonymousreply 143July 21, 2021 1:29 AM

Inserting Kermit (or anything or anybody else) into something that was originally solo is a sleazy publicity grab. Many fans would much rather hear Barbras ORIGINAL VERSION, but she never made that an option.

by Anonymousreply 144July 21, 2021 1:04 PM

I thought it was always a duet with Kermit.

by Anonymousreply 145July 21, 2021 1:09 PM

No, it was a solo, recorded (I believe) for "Wet". Her voice is beautiful even though the song is twee as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 146July 21, 2021 1:26 PM

I released a 2-day crap on her album cover.

by Anonymousreply 147July 21, 2021 1:37 PM

R146, Wet was abominable.

by Anonymousreply 148July 21, 2021 1:46 PM

I loved 1960s and 70s Barbra and have the utmost respect for her life’s work. However this is just depressing. She sounds like Larry David.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 2, 2021 12:04 PM

In case my link at R149 doesn’t work….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 2, 2021 12:05 PM

Sorry, I may be linking to a private account. Ignore me.

by Anonymousreply 151August 2, 2021 12:06 PM

I’m liking Sweet Forgiveness a lot even if it’s 90s schlock.

But I heard You Light Up My Life and it’s 1974 soulful Barbra. A masterpiece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 2, 2021 12:19 PM

I’m thrilled that her Troglodyte(Caveman)/Bertha Butt Boogie medley is FINALLY hearing the audio of day! Can’t believe they’re still sitting on Fly Robin Fly, Get Up and Boogie and The Hustle.

by Anonymousreply 153August 2, 2021 12:27 PM

She needs to record something more contemporary like "My Neck, My Back."

by Anonymousreply 154August 2, 2021 4:41 PM

Not a fan of "Sweet Forgiveness" but like "You Light Up My Life" very much. It;'s funny how so many fans on her Instagram account think it's going to be the shlock Debbie Boone song...,,,and thank god it isn't!

The gorgeous "Once You've Been In Love" is the track I'm waiting for.

by Anonymousreply 155August 2, 2021 4:45 PM

What's worse, R155, is that these fans actually think the Joe Brooks' You Light Up My Life is a GOOD song.

by Anonymousreply 156August 2, 2021 5:44 PM

Well, a huge percentage of Babs' audience enjoys schlock.

by Anonymousreply 157August 2, 2021 5:48 PM

R21 Lena sounds fabulous there.

by Anonymousreply 158August 2, 2021 5:52 PM

She never “tried to attach herself” to Madonna. When ASKED about Madonna in an interview she said that she sees the same kind of focus, drive and ambition that she had in her early career. I would say that was a pretty accurate assessment. For the most part., they could not be more different.

by Anonymousreply 159August 2, 2021 5:54 PM

Sweet Forgiveness is NO Sweet Forgiveness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160August 2, 2021 6:02 PM

An hour long interview. Her home looks beautiful. But her face and eyes, sometimes too much is... too much. Her face is so tight she has problems to pronounce words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 4, 2021 7:42 PM

Her taste reminds me of Mariah's. Bad childhoods begat Twee design, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 162August 4, 2021 7:44 PM

Who's that on the cover?

by Anonymousreply 163August 4, 2021 7:48 PM

Released or escaped?

by Anonymousreply 164August 4, 2021 7:51 PM

OY. She looks like a Cabbage Patch doll in that interview R161. Talking about the poor young people joining "gangs" and people constantly attacking her. The title of her upcoming book, "My Search For Beauty." UGH. She recently had her yearly physical, at Dr. Zizmor. And he's dead. She's so full of herself and shit and cobwebs.

She is a grotesque personality. UGH. I lasted 8 minutes of the interview. Her face is beyond a pillowface. it's more like a stuffed toy, animal. Restylane Barbara. Dead.

by Anonymousreply 165August 9, 2021 1:03 AM

R159 doesn't understand the game.

by Anonymousreply 166August 9, 2021 1:09 AM

R165, you might want to find another word other than "UGH," it's repetitive..

by Anonymousreply 167August 9, 2021 1:15 AM

Barbara Streizand's middle name is UGH. She loves it.

by Anonymousreply 168August 9, 2021 1:17 AM

No sale, R165/R168

by Anonymousreply 169August 9, 2021 1:19 AM

Very much enjoying “Release Me 2”. Streisand’s take on Burt Bacharach/Hal David’s “Be Aware” is a standout to me.

by Anonymousreply 170August 12, 2021 4:04 PM

Interesting that she has comments turned OFF on her YouTube vids of her songs.

by Anonymousreply 171August 12, 2021 6:08 PM

That's standard with official uploads via streaming services. The exception is the uploads tagged "Official Audio," such as below, where you can indeed leave comments. Nothing to do with Streisand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 12, 2021 6:14 PM

In contrast, this upload of "Sweet Forgiveness" is also official, but the comments are turned off. It has the credit "Provided to YouTube by Columbia/Legacy."

I think it's a strategy to get more views on the other "Sweet Forgiveness" video linked above, because comments will drive it up in the order of search results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 12, 2021 6:18 PM

R171, all music generated automatically for every artist has comments turned off.

by Anonymousreply 174August 12, 2021 6:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!