Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The star of "Starsky & Hutch" just admitted the show is totes gay

Paul Michael Glaser, who played detective David Starsky on the series, admits to the show’s gay overtones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2022 8:13 PM

Team Starsky here. I can see Hutch's fair-skinned, blond boy appeal, but Glaser steamed up my glasses as a 70s gayling. (A critic once described his "wounded-bull hotness" and I agree.)

Glaser also sounds like a good guy anyway, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2021 9:25 PM

Used to watch it all the time when I was growing up and it did seem gay friendly. Pleasant memories.

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2021 9:49 PM

Industry types called it "French kissing prime-time homos".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2021 9:54 PM

It lasted for 93 episodes. Paul Michael Glaser kept on threatening to leave the show. One of the producers said that they would simply call it "Hutch."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2021 9:56 PM

Paul's wife died from AIDs.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2021 11:48 PM

R5- I was thinking it was Paul who died of AIDS. So I was wondering if he admitted this from the grave.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2021 12:19 AM

STARSKY FUCKS HUTCH is a show I would tune in to see, absolutely. Appointment viewing.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2021 12:20 AM

Yet another homo show from Aaron Spelling. Just exactly how straight was Candy’s husband?

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2021 12:28 AM

Don’t ask. Don’t tell.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2021 12:41 AM

I was Hutch fan as a young, 'un in the 70s, but definitely became team Starsky as an adult. This just makes me adore him even more.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2021 12:44 AM

Does anybody recall a scene often cut from the cruise ship episode--because I only saw it on the box set--of Hutch and Starsky 'more' than horsing around in matching speedos at night in a hot tub? I was flabbergasted as much by the moment as by David Soul suddenly fleeing with an enormous 'sign equal of enthusiasm.'

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2021 12:44 AM

Homoerotic overtones yes, Gay, no.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2021 12:46 AM

[quote] Glaser steamed up my glasses as a 70s gayling. (A critic once described his "wounded-bull hotness" and I agree.)

Yes, and I wanted that big bull to rut inside of me quite deeply!

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote]Paul's wife died from AIDs

Also, Paul directed the AIDS PSA "Saint" Ronnie filmed just days before he left office. It was the only time in his entire 8 years in office that the senile old fuck publicly uttered the word AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2021 11:33 PM

Didn't David Soul come clean to his "paying dues" on the casting couch to other men when he was starting out in the business? I think that must have been 5-10 years ago. I don't think he named names, though.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2021 3:42 AM

Paul Michael Glaser was gorgeous. That chest hair--that body! Goddamn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2021 3:51 AM

PMG's wife became a strong advocate for AIDS education and victim's rights. She noted that when she spoke to the First Lady and potential First Lady, Kitty Dukakis showed immediate empathy whereas Barbara Bush looked at her watch when they talked.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2021 3:53 AM

The late 60s/early 70s Dragnet revival, Adam 12 and C.H.I.P.s, speaking of homoerotic.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2021 4:10 AM

“I think it’s very real,” he told Page Six. “I think it’s important to understand that yeah, there’s homoerotic elements. … I think the reality is David and I are for the most part — if you have to define oneself — as straight. But you have to be able to recognize there’s a part of all of us that is homoerotic.”

For the most part??? I hope he has stories of sucking and fucking David Soul in between scenes.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2021 4:15 AM

This is bullshit. Can't just two straight guys be platonic friends and show affection for each other without being sexual. This is the opposite of toxic masculinity.

CHIPS on the other hand...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2021 4:23 AM

Glaser has a particular "type" of woman that he goes for: horsey faced brunettes. His second wife was a as unprepossessing as his first wife Elizabeth Glaser.

Speaking of Elizabeth Glaser...I read her memoir. You would think it would be a gripping story: perfect Hollywood family ravaged by AIDS (she, her daughter and her son all got it; the son is the only one who still survives). But it was a very dull read. She was a pampered Jewish princess who happened to luck into a relationship with a man who would became a big tv star; she said although she was not exactly the type that gets involved with an actor (she was a school teacher, not in the Hollywood scene at all) he found her to be "pretty, sexy and smart" and they became a couple. She loved the perks of being the girlfriend of a star; the traveling, the first class hotels, the hobnobbing with celebrities. He was not anxious to get married but eventually they did. She had a difficult birth with her first child and got AIDS from a series of blood transfusions. Her efforts to get help for AIDS afflicted children stemmed from both of hers getting it. She had a meeting with Ronald Reagan; he seemed sympathetic and concerned but nothing happened as far as funding for pediatric AIDS. She didn't blame him; she figured his advisors told him AIDS was a touchy cause and told him not to do anything about it. She met with George Bush; he also seemed like he was willing to help provide funding for pediatric AIDs but nothing came of it. She didn't blame him; like with Reagan, she figured his advisors told him not to do anything about it. You wanted to scream at her: "They didn't do anything about it because THEY DIDN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT AIDS, YOU DUMB CLUCK!"

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2021 4:32 AM

Not gay at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2021 4:43 AM

R18, in my mind, Pete Malloy was closeted.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2021 5:26 AM

The first couple of seasons of Laramie starring John Smith and Robert Fuller were quite homoerotic. Then they toned it down.

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2021 5:44 AM

David Soul ended up marrying this lotus blossom. He beat the crap out of her and she divorced his ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2021 5:49 AM

R25

So she did give up on him, baby.

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2021 12:04 PM

I watched the first two seasons during the pandemic. Virtually every episode included ample shots of Mr. Glaser's meaty, Levis-clad butt, so I suspect there were a fair number of gays behind the camera.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2021 2:01 PM

Glaser was definitely considered the sex symbol of the show. He eventually abandoned acting for directing. I wonder what he's like? He seemed kind of "difficult", wanting out of his S&H contract early and all that. You didn't get a clear sense of him in Elizabeth Glaser's book either; the book was sop dully written that the personalities in it seemed made of cardboard. "D

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2021 12:30 AM

From the comments of OP's article

[quote] Homoerotic? Evidently you never watched RIPTIDE on NBC. That show was outrageous!

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2021 1:54 AM

How did 12 yo me know I was gay?

Paul Michael Glaser in a fucking bathtowel, that's how.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2021 2:00 AM

And Joe Penny

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2021 12:56 PM

Here's a blast from the past. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2021 1:41 PM

Wasn’t PMG a predator? Sexual harassment accusations during theatrical runs? Pre- #metoo

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2021 1:59 PM

I certainly didn't watch it for the gunplay.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2021 2:15 PM

"totes gay," huh? You sound like a (more) retarded version of Perez Hilton.

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2021 2:20 PM

Thank goodness we have Paul Michael Glaser's youthful beauty committed to celluloid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2021 3:17 PM

R32

Men hugging, touching, kissing on the cheek?!!! Won't someone please think of the children!"

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2021 10:33 PM

Such a tragic life, it's too bad that her book was so "dull." I was thinking about getting it.

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2021 12:37 AM

Paul Michael Glaser was one HOT Jew!

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2021 12:46 AM

R39 Yes he was. Back in the day, my older sister would watch the show and anytime he was on..well, suddenly--'hello!'

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2021 12:55 AM

Here you go, gentlemen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2021 10:12 AM

I guess just not my type. I always thought Soul was the hotter one, just like Larry Wilcox was a lot sexier to me than Erik Estrada.

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2021 12:26 PM

R41 That's from the TV movie Houdini.

by Anonymousreply 43July 20, 2021 12:27 AM

That's right, r43 -- I fell in love (lust) with PMG when I saw the ad for the movie in TV Guide.

by Anonymousreply 44July 20, 2021 1:44 AM

Erik Estrada & Larry Wilcox? From CHIPS? Neither of them were very good looking. Erick Estrada got attention because he was Mexican in a professional roll not smoking joints like Cheech and Chong. Wilcox was the token white guy, average at best. And that's being generous. Those guys were miles behind Starsky & Hutch in terms of hotness for the time.

by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2021 5:05 AM

David Soul was the hot one from the show, not the other hairy ape one.

by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2021 5:22 AM

R45, Estrada was pretty tasty back then though.

by Anonymousreply 47July 21, 2021 1:23 AM

No he wasn't R47. Not compared to other hot men on TV at the time. Chubby baby face. Big appeal to little girls.

by Anonymousreply 48July 21, 2021 6:48 AM

Didn't he have the AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2022 8:04 PM

[quote]Wilcox was the token white guy, average at best.

No, he played the football stud in "The Girl Most Likely To."

by Anonymousreply 50August 22, 2022 8:05 PM

I liked Ben and Owen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2022 8:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!