Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actors who surprised you by becoming big stars

We always have threads about actors who should have become big stars but didn't......what about the ones you thought wouldn't make it but became stars anyway? After all, acting is a career with a 99% failure rate, the ones who actually succeed are vastly outnumbered by the ones who fail

For me, it's Bradley Cooper. He's moderately talented but not a genius. Attractive, but not drop dead gorgeous. Never thought he'd be the biggest star out of everyone who was on Alias

by Anonymousreply 154June 16, 2021 1:28 PM

Keanu Reeves has had a MUCH longer career than I ever would have imagined. Pretty only gets you so far. I always just assumed that once he hit 30, it'd be over. I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2021 6:41 PM

Ben Affleck. How???

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2021 6:44 PM

Emily Blunt

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2021 6:45 PM

Chris Pratt. Michelle Williams.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2021 6:47 PM

Renee Zelwegger.

First appeared in Dazed and Confused in a small role, and was playing bimbo roles for a bit. Then she had one hit after another, a fall from grace, and a comeback with Judy.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2021 6:53 PM

Julianne Moore.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2021 6:53 PM

Timoteeeeeee.

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2021 6:53 PM

Nicholas Cage

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2021 7:04 PM

That APE from GIRLS

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2021 7:09 PM

^^ Lens or Adam? ^^

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2021 7:14 PM

R10- LOL

Adam

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2021 7:20 PM

[quote]For me, it's Bradley Cooper. He's moderately talented but not a genius. Attractive, but not drop dead gorgeous. Never thought he'd be the biggest star out of everyone who was on Alias

Bradley Cooper is one of many good looking guys who gets cast as the sexless best friend of the lead actress, but who are actually better looking than the main guy.

I admit that when I saw Alias I thought he was very handsome and was disappointed he had such a small role.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2021 7:20 PM

James fucking Corden. Even if it’s not really acting he tends to do now.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2021 7:22 PM

I didn't think Mark Paul Goselaar and Jennifer Love Hewitt would still be around

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2021 7:47 PM

Bradley Copper is NOT good looking.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2021 7:49 PM

Bradley Cooper is drop dead gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2021 7:51 PM

Eddie Redmayne

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2021 7:57 PM

Jeremy Renner

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2021 8:01 PM

[quote] That APE from GIRLS

[quote] ^^ Lens or Adam? ^^

My immediate guess was Zosia Mamet.

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2021 8:09 PM

Meryl

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2021 8:09 PM

Miles Teller. That guy made "Resting Douche Face" a thing.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2021 8:11 PM

Shemar Moore.

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2021 8:13 PM

Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2021 8:26 PM

Britney Spears. I remember seeing her poster for the CA Midstate Fair in the late 90s. She was playing Paso Robles. I thought, "Who is this hick girl with the braids and the already tired school girl outfit?"

I think it's sad what happened to her as far as the fame machine chewing her up, but I don't think she is super talented in any way.

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2021 8:31 PM

Tom Hanks

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2021 8:31 PM

Amy Adams owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2021 8:33 PM

R25 Agree. I mean he’s perfectly pleasant and all but… Most beloved actor of our time? Really?

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2021 8:34 PM

Regina King. She played a very prim and proper teenager on the TV show 227. So when she played a tough and sassy urban girl in the movie Boyz N The Hood, I was totally shocked, and thought she had ruined her chances for any other decent work in Hollywood.

Well, as we all now know, I was completely wrong. She is now both an Emmy and Oscar winning actress. Jackée Harry, her talented 227 co-star, never achieved that same level of stardom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2021 8:34 PM

Emma Stone

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2021 8:43 PM

Jonah Hill.

He was really great in Superbad, but I thought that no way is this chubby young actor going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2021 8:44 PM

[quote]Amy Adams owns this thread.

Yes, R26! I remember her from a Shannen Doherty-era episide of [italic]Charmed.[/italic] As my childhood best friend would say, she was total woodwork material.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2021 8:44 PM

R27- I said this on another thread-

Tom Hanks is humble about the talent he doesn't even have.

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2021 8:53 PM

Amy Adams was great in Psycho Beach Party.

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2021 8:57 PM

Aside from "Big", Tom made some really huge flops in the 80s. He was a bit of a joke for quite a while - which wasn't helped by starting his career on TV in "Bosom Buddies".

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2021 8:58 PM

I remember seeing Rihanna in the Pon de Replay video, thinking she had dead eyes and no charisma

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2021 9:00 PM

Let me guess OP is a failed actor.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2021 9:04 PM

Demi Moore. After seeing her on General Hospital and her horrible acting and awful voice, I was shocked she became a star of any caliber.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2021 9:04 PM

R36 is a failed human being

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2021 9:06 PM

R38: Are you talking about me or OP?

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2021 9:10 PM

The vast majority of people who go into acting don't become big stars but nevertheless they get consistent work. So it's not like they're a failure at it.

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2021 9:12 PM

According to 2 casting directors I knw in Hollyweird(both Bay). Miss Cooper is the "male Jen Lawrence". There was NOTHING Bradley would not do to" get a part" Their are photos like JLAW-HO. I have seen them but do not have copies yet!!

by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2021 9:13 PM

I was an avid watcher of The Young and the Restless from the early 90s (when I was a kid) to the late 2000s. I never would’ve guessed Eva Longoria would be about the only one to find a significant level of mainstream fame.

by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2021 9:15 PM

R41 is a Republican housewife. The "hollyweird" gives it away

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2021 9:16 PM

R40, the vast majority of folks going into acting get little work. They suffer for years on the fumes of that one play or commercial they did a few years ago...hoping that the next audition will get them a big break, or at least pay some bills. It's rare that these folks get consistent work. It's a very rough life.

The actual non-famous working actors out there are not the majority among those who attempt to be.

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2021 9:16 PM

Both castings directors are GAY(my contacts dried out). It's always been Hollyweird to me-Phillywhore, moderate to Liberal Democrat. Thank You DL

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2021 9:18 PM

R41: They’re both Weinstein discoveries. We’ve had a million threads like this before.

by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2021 9:20 PM

Phylicia Radhad When she left One Life To Live, she was still Phylicia Ayers Allen then, I thought BIG mistake. Like there is just so much work for actresses much less a black actress. I figured she’d never be heard from again. Was I wrong. Hater her all you want, but she’s had a helluva fine career. Even without Cosby, she’s had a great career - stage and so forth.

by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2021 9:22 PM

I never thought Jennifer Lopez would become a big star. I figured that, at best, she'd star in a few TV shows and television movies. At worst, another WHET, like Irene Cara.

by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2021 9:24 PM

The talentless and unfunny Ryan Reynolds. His stupid trolling on social media is ridiculous.

Throw in his equally talentless wife, Blake Lively.

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2021 9:25 PM

John Krasinski going from Jim in The Office to starring in a series of Action Movies has never made sense.

by Anonymousreply 50June 2, 2021 9:37 PM

Sandra Bullock

by Anonymousreply 51June 2, 2021 9:45 PM

Amanda seyfried, Blake lively, Scarlett johansson - she’s done well considering how one note she is most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 52June 2, 2021 9:45 PM

G. Oh wait, not really. You mean big star.

by Anonymousreply 53June 2, 2021 9:49 PM

All the Chrises except Pratt who seems to have some charisma. I’m not a fan of Pratt’s but I can see some star quality there. The other chrises, evans, hemsworth and pine are fine eye candy but nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 54June 2, 2021 9:51 PM

Robert Pattinson, I’m surprised he’s working with some interesting filmmakers after twilight.

by Anonymousreply 55June 2, 2021 9:52 PM

Kim Richards.

by Anonymousreply 56June 2, 2021 9:56 PM

Chris Pratt always sounds like a former casting cough hoe, similar to Ton Cruise. His story about getting headshots from a gay photographer that he didn’t know was gay until he arrived at the guys house for free shots. As if he people just offer free shots in their makeshift home studio to actors walking down the street.

Him being super conservative and shit person makes me think he really was willing to go G4P until he caught his big break on Everland.

by Anonymousreply 57June 2, 2021 10:06 PM

R55: He's actually been really smart with his career. He didn't do blockbuster after blockbuster after Twlight. Instead he focused on arthouse, independent films. Now he's returning to the popcorn fare with Tenet and Batman. I agree though he's not that talented or attractive.

by Anonymousreply 58June 2, 2021 10:09 PM

Adam Sandler. It's a mystery to me.

by Anonymousreply 59June 2, 2021 10:13 PM

Another Adam. Adam Driver. How does he keep getting the big roles and the best movies? He’s butt ugly and he’s just OK talent wise.

by Anonymousreply 60June 2, 2021 10:18 PM

Supposedly Bradley Cooper blew everyone from here to Timbuktu to get where he is today.

by Anonymousreply 61June 2, 2021 10:25 PM

I second Regina King. When I was a kid, I thought she was the wooooorst actress ever on 227. Seeing it again as an adult, I realized everyone around her was a ham and she’s so utterly natural she’s sublime.

I nominate Melissa McCarthy. Who would’ve thought that she would be one of the few actresses to open a movie.

by Anonymousreply 62June 2, 2021 10:26 PM

J'adore Melissa McCarthy, and was so thrilled when she got starring role in that film about the plagiarist.

by Anonymousreply 63June 2, 2021 10:30 PM

Rob Lowe. Not that talented and has worked constantly since the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 64June 2, 2021 10:30 PM

Emma Watson is the luckiest girl on the planet. She has no talent at all. Not to mention she’s an insufferable woke feminist who goes on about how bad men are but can’t be without one for more than five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 65June 2, 2021 10:31 PM

Norma Shearer

by Anonymousreply 66June 2, 2021 10:32 PM

Maybe not a “big” star but I was shocked when Melissa Benoist got the lead in Supergirl after only knowing her as milquetoast Marley on Glee. That character was so dull and Benoist didn’t bring any spark to make me think she’d ever be seen again. If she doesn’t do anything else now that Supergirl is over I’ll know it was those fappening pics that got her parts

by Anonymousreply 67June 2, 2021 10:42 PM

Honestly, to become a big star requires more luck than anything else. Even a talentless ho with famous parents isn't guaranteed success. I'm always surprised when I see someone rise through the shite of Tinseltown at all. Some hard work, some good agents, but 75% total luck.

by Anonymousreply 68June 2, 2021 10:47 PM

When I was young, my favorite movie was Ghost World. I had absolutely zero idea Scarlett Johansson would be the one to catapult to fame, while Thora Birch faded into obscurity.

by Anonymousreply 69June 2, 2021 11:21 PM

R65 sounds like a Republican who's lashing out at someone for being "woke"

Guess you'd prefer a Trumpster who hates gays. And she never said all men were bad, you made that up to justify disliking her

by Anonymousreply 70June 2, 2021 11:25 PM

Kristen Stewart - I thought the backlash after the Twilight trilogy would kill her career.

Will Smith - his bitchiness during “6 degrees of whatever” convinced me he’d never make it long term.

Bruce Willis - after “Hudson Hawk” and “Last Boyscout” in 1991, I thought we’d be rid of him. At that point, he had only one character he could play and it was tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 71June 2, 2021 11:39 PM

Marky Mark. Thought he'd fade away, like most one hit wonders

by Anonymousreply 72June 2, 2021 11:42 PM

R28 I too was surprised by Regina King's post-"227" success, but thrilled just the same.

by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2021 11:42 PM

Ben Affleck

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2021 11:43 PM

[quote]Big actors who surprised you by becoming stars

Ms. Metz.

by Anonymousreply 75June 3, 2021 12:25 AM

Tom Hanks became a big star because he knew how to play the game. Also he was the go-to guy for roles that Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, and Robert De Niro aged out of, was too short, or too Italian/ Jewish to play. Hanks was there at the right time and place. He’s 13 years younger than the youngest (De Niro) of the group that I’d just mentioned. His prime years also coincided with the period before Marvel and action movie franchise being star makers. Hollywood still chased after the Oscar-worthy films with everyman stories and characters. Hanks was good at playing those types but IMO there’s nothing charismatic about him.

by Anonymousreply 76June 3, 2021 12:38 AM

R66 = This old bat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 3, 2021 2:45 AM

Coon Ramos

by Anonymousreply 78June 3, 2021 2:55 AM

During Married with Children I would have never guessed Christina Applegate would have gone on to have a good, solid career for 2-3 decades now.

I never would have guessed Demi Moore and Rob Lowe would have been the most successful (and rich) to come out of the Brat Pack.

by Anonymousreply 79June 3, 2021 3:29 AM

R69 I just watched Ghost World for the first time in about 18 years today. I forgot what an interesting little movie it was. Steve Buscemi was actually kind of... cute in it. The art teacher was a trip. Rip Brad Renfro. :(

Was it Lost in Translation that kind of made Scarlett Johansson a star a few years after GW?

by Anonymousreply 80June 3, 2021 3:36 AM

R59 Adam Sandler is not as surprising as some of these others (R Patz) because Sandler writes his own material and that is key. Same thing with Jason Segel. He wrote a lot of movies so he was able to cast himself. Otherwise, I don't think he would have had much of a film career.

by Anonymousreply 81June 3, 2021 3:48 AM

R23 really.? She was absolutely luminous at her best. The great Katherine Hepburn famously said "That girl she has it. She's gonna be a star". But you were surprised? Ok.

by Anonymousreply 82June 3, 2021 3:55 AM

R80: Yes, Lost in Translation took ScarJo's career to another level, and then she, ugh, became Woody Allen's muse for a bit. Of course it was the MCU films that really catapulted her career.

by Anonymousreply 83June 3, 2021 9:56 AM

If you want to stop a star from becoming bigger, avoid their films. Just ask Jennifer Lawrence. Hollywood is all about money in the end. So avoid their films like the plague and in no time they’ll do being limited series if their lucky.

by Anonymousreply 84June 3, 2021 11:44 AM

I’d love to know whose cock is Mouseboy sucking? I think people are getting sick of the mediocrity and overexposure a la Jennifer Lawrence. Also, his start seems a little suspicious to me. An elite agency like UTA signs a kid with no resume and on talent alone. There must’ve been some external factor: nepotism, sexual, favors of some kind, etc.

by Anonymousreply 85June 3, 2021 11:50 AM

Wow, Jennifer Lawrence truly is a success story for those sickened by unwarrented hype. Sure, Winter's Bone showed she had potential and could easily become a 2010s version of Jodie Foster. However, when she inexplicably won an Oscar over Emmanuelle Riva, and then garnered 2 more undeserved nominations shortly thereafter, the burden was on her to prove she was worthy of the hype. Fortunately, her non-Hunger Games lead roles have proven she's box office poison and we haven't heard from her in a while.

by Anonymousreply 86June 3, 2021 12:35 PM

Yeah it's strange that she hasn't been working ever since Harvey Weinstein's cock went to jail.

by Anonymousreply 87June 3, 2021 12:43 PM

I like Lawrence and don't get all the hate. She's pretty to me and gives good performances. The hate for her seemed really odd. But then again, I love Reece Witherspoon and Julia Roberts so I don't mind the pretty above average actresses that make it big. Sure she sucked dick for parts, but that's a Hollywood tradition.

Anyway, Cooper putting out for work sounds hot. He was so sexy in Wedding Crashers era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 3, 2021 12:45 PM

If all it took to be A-list was blowing Harvey then Gretchen Mol would have been a major star.

Fucking producers or big shots doesn't magically make you famous. Ask Charlotte Kirk

by Anonymousreply 89June 3, 2021 4:18 PM

I hated her until I heard her on an episode of "WTF with Marc Maron." She came off as smart with a biting sense of humor. I was most surprised at how aware she was about the status of her career, she knew if the movie she was promoting flopped that was going to be a problem for her. She spoke about it openly. I got the sense that her guard was not as up during that interview as most people. I guess I liked her honestly.

by Anonymousreply 90June 3, 2021 4:22 PM

Tom Cruise

by Anonymousreply 91June 3, 2021 4:28 PM

Demi Moore.

by Anonymousreply 92June 3, 2021 4:40 PM

Jessica Chastain. Why are they still trying to make this broad a big star? She's marginally talented and an insufferable woke bitch.

by Anonymousreply 93June 5, 2021 2:45 PM

J-Ho

by Anonymousreply 94June 5, 2021 2:57 PM

Tim Allen. Not an actor, not a comedian, but probably a very good cocksucker

by Anonymousreply 95June 5, 2021 4:16 PM

So many people who I saw on TV first that became big movie stars surprised the hell out of me. I apparently can't spot the it factor to save my life.

Tom Hanks - on Bosom Buddies, I much preferred Peter Scolari.

Bruce Willis - Never liked him or his smug mug.

Will Smith - Liked his "Parents Just Don't Understand" video, thought he was fine on Fresh Prince, then was absolutely astounded when he became one of the top stars of the '90s.

Chris Pratt - Pudgy goof on Parks & Rec becomes chiseled action star and heartthrob? Um, okay.

by Anonymousreply 96June 5, 2021 4:21 PM

Matthew Broderick's beard. In any other era she would have played the best friend who shows up for a couple of scenes before getting knocked up. She is so ugly. Why won't Matthew leave this hag? Why?

by Anonymousreply 97June 5, 2021 4:27 PM

The first time I saw Sandra Bullock was in "Bionic Showdown: The Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman" where she played a new Bionic Woman. Then I saw her in "Love Potion #9" and thought, good for her still acting. When she ended up in "Speed" I figured I was one of the few people that remembered she was ever in that TV movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 5, 2021 4:28 PM

I knew Johansson from that film The Island, with McGregor. Loved that film as a kid.

Idk how Adam Driver is a star but I love him. Talented, BDE all over the place. And he picks good projects. He is the only good thing about those SW movies.

Its not surprising Jlaw was just a Harvey girl. Without him and Hunter Games, the hype dissolver and people saw How boring of an actress she is.

by Anonymousreply 99June 5, 2021 5:03 PM

I have to say the sheer enormity of George Clooney's success has surprised me because I remember watching him from The Facts of Life, Roseanne days and for years people were exactly lining up to lust after him.

Even after he left ER I thought he would have a moderate level of fame, but not permanent A list status.

by Anonymousreply 100June 5, 2021 5:20 PM

weren't exactly

by Anonymousreply 101June 5, 2021 5:20 PM

When I first saw Tom Hanks on "Bosom Buddies," I certainly never thought he would become a two-time Oscar winner as best actor.

by Anonymousreply 102June 5, 2021 5:36 PM

[quote] I remember seeing Rihanna in the Pon de Replay video, thinking she had dead eyes and no charisma

Funny, I actually thought the exact opposite! I thought "now there's a girl who has IT". And she did....and still does. Her sexiness is off the charts and much warmer and free than, say, the Beyonce variety.

by Anonymousreply 103June 5, 2021 5:41 PM

[quote] Amanda seyfried,

I think she's actually underrated. She was very good in Twin Peaks: The Return.

by Anonymousreply 104June 5, 2021 5:42 PM

Michelle WIlliams

by Anonymousreply 105June 5, 2021 7:49 PM

Benedict Crumpledick. He looks like an alien and his acting skills are just meh.

by Anonymousreply 106June 5, 2021 8:09 PM

Anthony Ramos. Oh my god this guy is in all the high profile movies.

by Anonymousreply 107June 7, 2021 1:31 AM

Shia LaBeouf

by Anonymousreply 108June 7, 2021 2:13 AM

R41, My lips are sealed.

by Anonymousreply 109June 7, 2021 2:14 AM

Mark Harmon

by Anonymousreply 110June 7, 2021 2:16 AM

Michelle Williams white widowed her way to the top. Good for her, I guess! #RestinHeath

by Anonymousreply 111June 7, 2021 2:21 AM

R98 Why did Sandra Bullock look so much like Michael Jackson? LMFAO

by Anonymousreply 112June 7, 2021 2:21 AM

R111: She got help from Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 113June 7, 2021 2:23 AM

R113 Do you have insider info? Just curious. But yes, I would imagine she did. I bet she actually liked Weinstein too... she likes kind of fat, domineering guys that remind her of her estranged father

by Anonymousreply 114June 7, 2021 2:31 AM

Who do I have to suck off in Hollywood to get a career these days? I'm willing to do anything/anyone?

by Anonymousreply 115June 7, 2021 2:34 AM

R115: Is that you Jennifer Lawrence?

by Anonymousreply 116June 7, 2021 2:39 AM

[quote] Supposedly Bradley Cooper blew everyone from here to Timbuktu to get where he is today.

Would YOU object to getting head from Bradley Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 117June 7, 2021 3:28 AM

John Boyega. The ugly is ugly as shit and can’t act.

by Anonymousreply 118June 7, 2021 1:00 PM

So many come to mind, but one who's always boggled me is Jon Bon Jovi. "Singer" of a terrible band with the most ignorant songs. As paper thin & nasal as his vocal is record it's even worse live, if that's even imaginable. I cannot figure out how he & Bon Jovi became rock legends.

by Anonymousreply 119June 7, 2021 1:22 PM

R118: Guy is ugly as shit. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 120June 7, 2021 1:23 PM

And yes, he's even attempted an acting career.

by Anonymousreply 121June 7, 2021 1:23 PM

He isn't really an actor but a couple others have named singers instead. I will say Justin Bieber. I remember the first time I saw him on TV and I thought "Why are they showing a little kid singing? This isn't the Disney Channel." I felt sorry for him because I imagined he thought he was famous now that he was on television and I never expected to see him again after that.

All these years later and he is still here.

by Anonymousreply 122June 7, 2021 1:36 PM

Whoopi Goldberg

by Anonymousreply 123June 7, 2021 2:43 PM

Rami Malek

by Anonymousreply 124June 9, 2021 2:58 AM

Rami's career was odd. I remember him playing a gay teen named Kenny on the short-lived Fox show "The War at Home". He was probably the most memorable part of that show. He also popped up playing King Tut in those "Night at the Museum" movies. He seemed to disappear for a decade. Then came "Mr. Robot" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" and now he's an A-lister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 10, 2021 1:59 PM

Ariana Grande

Who knew that the red-headed girl from Sam & Cat would become this mega songstress?

Also Anthony Anderson and Jerry O'Connell.

Kangaroo Jack was my favorite movie when I was younger, but even as a kid I knew their acting was subpar. But then again next to Estella Warren's acting....

Though I did love her in that SVU episode where her mother played by Linda Carter were drifters stealing Rich men's sperm

by Anonymousreply 126June 10, 2021 3:46 PM

Mary Pickford

by Anonymousreply 127June 10, 2021 9:33 PM

Jon Cryer was kicking around for so long as a B/C lister in failed projects I would have never guessed in his 40s he would hit pay dirt on a sitcom and win two Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 128June 10, 2021 11:48 PM

Jim Parsons. When I saw the first “Big Bang Theory, “ I thought they hired that guy from those creepy Quiznos commercials? I though the show would be cancelled in six weeks and thought j. Galecki must have been desperate for work.

by Anonymousreply 129June 11, 2021 12:35 AM

Ashton Kutcher's rise to stardom in the 2000s. He only worked well in sitcoms and on Punk'd. His film career should have ended with [italic]Dude, Where's My Car?[/italic] But he ended up getting big some roles even after [italic]The Butterfly Effect[/italic] flopped

by Anonymousreply 130June 11, 2021 1:32 AM

Phylicia Rashad can appear grand and a bit goofy, but she's actually extremely talented.

I've seen her onstage and thought she was great.

by Anonymousreply 131June 11, 2021 1:42 AM

Lisa Bonet was one of the breakthrough actresses on The Cosby Show and got cast in a spin-off A Different World and a big Hollywood movie Angel Heart. She could not act and was only popular for being pretty and having a cool and trendy character like Denise. That's why she was written out of ADW after the first season and Angel Heart was a flop.

by Anonymousreply 132June 11, 2021 1:46 AM

I don’t recall Lisa being attractive?

by Anonymousreply 133June 11, 2021 1:48 AM

[quote]I like Lawrence and don't get all the hate.

Me too! I think she's very talented and her scenes in American Hustle were the best in an already solid movie.

by Anonymousreply 134June 11, 2021 1:54 AM

Ryan Gosling

For little indie pictures, sure he's great, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 135June 11, 2021 2:25 AM

R135 He is bland and below average-looking. But I figure his big career was due to his Disney connections from being a Mouseketeer and plus he's Canadian, so he's probably easier to work with.

by Anonymousreply 136June 11, 2021 2:30 AM

R96 can we talk about Pratt? He’s now a religious fundi but I realize during his Parks and Rec days that so many of his blooper jokes were about sex or penises. Like he was a Demented child. Something just isn’t right about Pratt, beyond his ego. His becoming such a huge star makes my skin crawl.

I begrudgingly have to admit that he does a good job as his Marcel Character but I was sick of him when they put him in a whole bunch of other shit.

by Anonymousreply 137June 13, 2021 1:15 PM

Justin Hartley

by Anonymousreply 138June 13, 2021 1:52 PM

I am never surprised by anyone's success, simply based on the fickle nature of the entertainment business. You just never know when someone is going to click or when. Hollywood success is all luck and timing.

Since a couple of people mentioned Regina King, I will say that there is no actor's success that makes me more happy than Regina King's success. When she popped up on Southland, I thought 'hey that's Brenda from 227 and she can act" Then she just blew me away in American Crime.

by Anonymousreply 139June 13, 2021 2:32 PM

Do I really need to say it?

by Anonymousreply 140June 13, 2021 2:54 PM

R140, I'm still awaiting word from the Criterion Collection on when they plan to release "Still of the Night".

by Anonymousreply 141June 13, 2021 3:01 PM

If you get a breakout role then you have a chance at a career. Rege Jean Pierre landed Bridgerton and is now hosting SNL and being rumoured as the next James Bond. But getting Bridgerton was a combination of luck and skill, not to mention that the public took to it. If it had bombed at Netflix he still be B/C list. As mentioned in previous post it is a fickle business as is life in general.

by Anonymousreply 142June 13, 2021 3:04 PM

R142: Still his acting isn’t that impressive and I don’t think he’s that great looking as the media makes him out to be.

by Anonymousreply 143June 13, 2021 3:22 PM

"If you get a breakout role then you have a chance at a career."

Yep.

by Anonymousreply 144June 13, 2021 3:48 PM

R144 was “Boat Trip” really such a springboard? He played second fiddle to Horatio Sanz, no?

by Anonymousreply 145June 16, 2021 1:41 AM

Jean Smart is getting there. Still not quite a household name, but she's almost there.

When she left "Designing Women" before it ended, I thought, "there's another Shelly Long, thinking she's too big for this." I never would have guessed Jean would go on to win Emmys and do comedy and drama.

Her bit part in "The Brady Bunch Movie" was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 146June 16, 2021 1:55 AM

Jared Leto

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 16, 2021 1:55 AM

R142 it's Rege Jean Page, he is British.

by Anonymousreply 148June 16, 2021 2:11 AM

R145, Think "Jerry Maguire".

by Anonymousreply 149June 16, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote] During Married with Children I would have never guessed Christina Applegate would have gone on to have a good, solid career for 2-3 decades now.

I would say the same about Katey Sagal. And Ed O’Neill was remarkably lucky to get onto another hit sitcom that lasted over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 150June 16, 2021 2:27 AM

Luck ran out for me, r150.

by Anonymousreply 151June 16, 2021 2:35 AM

All of the Friends, except Lisa Kudrow.

Jennifer Aniston's permanent A-list status baffles me. If it weren't for having the door opened through nepotism, a shit tonne of surgery and landing the role of Rachel, she'd be selling homes in Reseda and shuffling her kids to soccer practice.

by Anonymousreply 152June 16, 2021 3:03 AM

R152, Dating, marrying and divorcing a movie star didn't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 153June 16, 2021 5:12 AM

Harry Styles - feo and talentless.

by Anonymousreply 154June 16, 2021 1:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!