Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm 21 and live in a 72-square-foot NYC apartment that costs $1,345 a month.

"I wanted to be in the center of the action and live alone."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450November 5, 2021 2:06 AM

Jesus Christ, this is a 21 year old? they have a poster from Love Story for crying out loud

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2021 6:14 PM

If that's the only way you can afford to live in NYC, it's just not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2021 6:16 PM

That’s crazy. Kathryn Garcia is it. I hope she’s smart and votes for her.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2021 6:17 PM

R1 She also has a Sex in the City poster. That show has ruined so many womens' brains.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2021 6:17 PM

[quote]they have a poster from Love Story for crying out loud

They have good taste. Now run along to your tiktok threads, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2021 6:18 PM

"I had dreamed of moving from my small town in Tennessee to New York City ever since I visited the Big Apple when I was 4 years old. Unfortunately, I didn't quite grasp how expensive it is to live there until I was much older. "

How tired is this trope already?

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2021 6:19 PM

That "bathroom" brings new meaning to shit, shower and shave.

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2021 6:22 PM

Shame on those greedy landlords.

Take whatever wall you greedy bastards put up back down and give someone a decent living space.

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2021 6:24 PM

It's challenging to make dinner and have guests over, but I make it work with a microwave and floor pillows

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2021 6:25 PM

Pictures of Fleetwood Mac under her one window. Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2021 6:27 PM

sloooooow news day

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2021 6:29 PM

Since it's been about 50 years since many DLers were 21, you are willing to put up with a whole lot of odd living situations at that age because you know it's not permanent.

This sounds like a great deal for her and pre- and post-pandemic.

When you're that age, you don't spend much time at home.

I would not recommend it for a Maiden Aunt Brigadeer.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2021 6:29 PM

I actually thought this was cute. I say this from large newish studio apartment I pay 25% less for, that’s a mansion compared to this. I’m in midsized Midwestern city which makes for the price difference.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2021 6:35 PM

Well, so how was living in that shoebox for the past year during COVID?

This is someone who believes the inconvenience of public transportation to be a worse evil than the inconvenience of living in a glorified jail cell.

She HAD to live in the West Village otherwise it wouldn't have been her Carrie Bradshaw dream.

This reeks of trying to model her life after the LARGE studio-living Carrie on Perry Street.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2021 6:38 PM

"I wanted to be in the center of the action and live alone."

Then you better have rich parents, honey. Who do you think you are, DL Fave MBM?

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2021 6:38 PM

My shower is bigger than her apartment...

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2021 6:40 PM

The article is a sugar baby ad. "Get me out of this hellhole, daddies"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2021 6:40 PM

My first college apartment (2008) was 400 sq feet. Anything less seems unlivable. I can't imagine being that cramped that you have to CONSTANTLY put things away.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2021 6:44 PM

I agree with r13. If she’s comfortable in her cozy little den, so what. I laughed when I read some of the comments, though, because when I looked at the images her “apartment” seemed more like a teenaged girl’s bedroom.

Biggest issue I see is that she’s in that tiny space because she has no money, but being in that tiny space is, in some ways, costing her more money — all the prepared foods she has to eat because she can only hot plate/microwave are a lot more expensive than cooking from basic ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2021 6:45 PM

When I moved to NYC 30 years ago, not long out of graduate school, I lived in a similar thing in the Village. Had a stove and a weird toilet room cut out of the larger room. It was fine. Probably for the same reasons.

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2021 6:48 PM

My aunt moved into an apartment in 1968 that was about that size on 74th street an Amsterdam. She lived there for 45 years. It was rent controlled. I think her rent was around $800 when she died. She was happy it wasn’t a big deal .she lived alone and didn’t have children . Worked her whole life and saved her money. I wish I had that apartment . That being said the rents are horrific in NYC. I moved recently and I’m not sure if I would ever go back because I don’t want to pay that much to live in a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2021 6:48 PM

R17 when you look at her instagram, it all makes sense now. She never mentions what her job is in the article but I assume she trying to be a model/influencer.

How gauche.

I wonder who she knew at Insider to get her this free publicity.

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2021 6:49 PM

R19 that’s what I was going to write. She can’t be eating all that healthily on the cheap. No room to store food so either dines out, gets takeout, or convenience food from Trader Joe’s.

I guess she’s fine living this way because she’s justified it in her mind that she’s at the center of NYC where she’s always wanted to be. But I think secretly she’s having to justify or have daily affirmations of living this way. There’s micro-apartment living and there’s her way of living. Micro-apartment to most is 300-500 square ft. Not under 80 square ft. That’s minuscule.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2021 6:52 PM

Here she is, just as sweet as a cherry pie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2021 6:54 PM

R19 and she has her laundry washed, dried, and folded at a laundromat. In NYC that's about $1.25-$2.00 per pound. so It's likely that she spends over $40 on laundry per month.

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2021 6:55 PM

Sad just so sad on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2021 6:56 PM

And she got a cat???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2021 6:56 PM

I lived in the East Village in my 20s and 30s (1980s-90s). Had a danker but more spacious apartment starting out. And I knew people who had apartments like this. You know what? I kind of get where she’s coming from at her age. It’s all about being in what you think is the center of the world. I probably would have taken that apartment if I could have afforded it. Of course now I think it’s insane.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2021 6:57 PM

Just looking at the photographs makes me feel claustrophobic.

That ain't no apartment. It's a fucking box room.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2021 6:58 PM

A step up from a cardboard box. She’s a suburbanite doing Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2021 7:00 PM

It's the equivalent of a bedsit without the shared spaces. Which is fine for her, and the price isn' a bad deal for the location. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2021 7:02 PM

That cat is sooo cute!!!

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2021 7:03 PM

She's doing what she has to do in order to live out a dream. I get it. At her age I was living in a 300 square foot apartment with another person for around $1500 a month...but it was directly on the beach. We lived there for a few years, then decided we wanted to own rather than rent and also to have a bigger place, so we moved away from the beach, never to return. But I'll never be sorry I did it. I'll bet she won't be sorry, either.

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2021 7:04 PM

Is anyone else reading this and wondering why our Eldergays are so triggered by it?

It's not as if 21 year olds have never lived in tiny apartments in Manhattan before.

FFS, she's not raising a family there.

My gut says many of them are stuck in Darkest Flyoverstan and jealous that she escaped Tennessee.

That, or they're 68 and living in a place that is only slightly larger and still paying rent.

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2021 7:05 PM

Tenderloin San Francisco 1969, $60/month, only one wall outlet for frig. Toilet, sink and shower all in one closet size room. No heat. Happiest time of my life. So much fun and anticipation for the next adventure.

Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2021 7:06 PM

Why not just buy a coffin and live in it? It's portable, has the same amount of space, and they can bury you in it when you die.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2021 7:06 PM

R27 I think that's irresponsible. That's not fair to the cat.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2021 7:08 PM

Why would you assume that it's only eldergays saying anything less than positive about this, R34?

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2021 7:10 PM

Whore looking for a sugar daddy. We should all be so lucky!

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2021 7:10 PM

I hope that poor car can get outside.

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2021 7:11 PM

Well, she was a theater major - so I could see why she'd move to NYC, if theaters start opening up again.

To be young and naive and carefree again.

by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2021 7:15 PM

Because 85% of the posters on here are Eldergays R38

by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2021 7:16 PM

My first apartment was a "converted" greenhouse... probably about 300sf, shared. A block from the beach in Venice CA. It was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2021 7:16 PM

Oh God, it just clicked... the stench of YourMillennialFriend is on this thread.

I thought New Yorkers were not this soft and defensive?

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2021 7:17 PM

r12 with the cost of living and the insane real estate prices of NYC, chances are this person might still be there in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2021 7:18 PM

R38 agree. We’ve lived through all this shit. We get it. We think it’s kind of cute now.

One thing I do not think is cute is living in the outer boroughs. Sorry, I know it’s hip now, but in MY day, honey, you didn’t want to be caught dead living or even going there unless you absolutely had to. I’d take the micro box in the Village.

by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2021 7:20 PM

R45 my roommate from 1986 is still there.

by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2021 7:21 PM

People are way too spoiled. You realize a huge portion of the urban world loves like this? In Tokyo, a family of four lives in 300 sq ft. I had no problem living like this in my 20s - and very glad I did. I was able to experience NYC in my 20s. Everything I wanted. When I got old, I wanted domestic life in a house. At 25, you should be living where you want without luxury. A perfect time to move to your dream city. Experiences not luxury are what matter in life.

by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2021 7:21 PM

[quote]Oh God, it just clicked... the stench of YourMillennialFriend is on this thread.

Yes, I caught of whiff of that too. Like YMF is one to talk, he grew up wealthy on the UWS and always lived comfortably in NYC. He never had to suffer the indignity of a closet-sized studio (that he had to pay for himself), because of Mommy and Daddy's $$$. He can STFU.

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2021 7:23 PM

NO ONE mentions her pole dancing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 2, 2021 7:25 PM

You're 100% correct, R49, but the last time that subject was brought up, we were told not to hate on people who grew up with and have money.

At the same time, there was a long thread about the general unaffordability of all major American cities for the majority of the population.

#cognitivedissonance

by Anonymousreply 51June 2, 2021 7:26 PM

r48 it's not about "luxury," it's living like a caged animal in an apartment that's too small for human habitation. Human beings are not meant to live in spaces this small. Fran Lebowitz had a great rant about this, it's somewhere on Youtube.

And don't start with "Asians do this all the time." Asians have a very different culture and society. They can live like insect creatures.

by Anonymousreply 52June 2, 2021 7:26 PM

What she needs to do is rub her ____ on cam, that would upgrade her bachelorette pad for sure!

by Anonymousreply 53June 2, 2021 7:26 PM

She's clearly looking for a sugar daddy. Like most young women who come to NYC and had their minds warped by SATC.

by Anonymousreply 54June 2, 2021 7:27 PM

My brother lives in a homeless shelter and has more space and resources available to him.

by Anonymousreply 55June 2, 2021 7:32 PM

The pole dancing may morph into cam work, time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 56June 2, 2021 7:33 PM

R54 She thinks she'll run off into the sunset with some wall street guy who will fund her fashion addiction. SATC has convinced two generations of women that banker dude bros are their future. Sick, really.

by Anonymousreply 57June 2, 2021 7:36 PM

I dont give a shit where its located...thats criminal.

by Anonymousreply 58June 2, 2021 7:38 PM

Idk why people still long to live in Manhattan. Yes, it's what New York is for everyone not from there, but he would have a nicer place to live if he moved to Bushwick, Ridgewood, Jackson Heights or even Sunnyside. Manhattan is just a 20-30 min train ride away.

by Anonymousreply 59June 2, 2021 7:41 PM

I downsized in Norcal to save money for a house, which I will be moving into this Fall, and my place feels tiny! I can’t imagine living in that closet. It looks depressing as fuckall!!

by Anonymousreply 60June 2, 2021 7:41 PM

People in Tokyo aren't spending $1300/month to live in their shoeboxes. That's about what someone would pay for a smallish one bedroom in one of the nice neighborhoods. Granted, the Japanese have lower salaries than Americans, but I doubt this girl is making more than a Japanese salaryman.

by Anonymousreply 61June 2, 2021 7:43 PM

R48 no a family of 4 in Tokyo does not live in 300 sq.ft. homes. That’s not the norm there for family homes. If you’re talking about 300-400 sq. ft. apartments in Tokyo, there are many of them but they’re geared towards young singles. Some of the newer ones are quite nice, even though they come with own kitchen, there are common areas for socializing and large communal area for cooking/ hanging out. If we’re talking about Tokyo proper, probably the average size apartment for a family of four is at least about 900+ sq. ft. Still small by American standards.

by Anonymousreply 62June 2, 2021 7:44 PM

I'm sorry but I cannot imagine not having a functional kitchen. The Love Story poster is charming, lol. Seems like an awful lot of work to me. I'd rather have roommates and, I don't know, breathe, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 63June 2, 2021 7:45 PM

Young women moved to New York for adventure long before SATC for Pete's sake. They're doing it in The Golddiggers of 1933.

I think she's managing her hamster cage pretty well, though the rent is insane (and I live in Silicon Valley.) Having the fire escape helps--that's basically her deck. Would be grim during COVID, pretty much a jail cell, but it seems like she wasn't there then.

But this is what you do when you're young. Take a risk, live a dream. It beats living in her parents' Tennessee basement.

by Anonymousreply 64June 2, 2021 7:45 PM

[Quote]it's living like a caged animal in an apartment that's too small for human habitation

I would tend to agree with you but when you’re young and active and everyday is an adventure, a small place really is just a place to store your clothes and sleep.

by Anonymousreply 65June 2, 2021 7:46 PM

If she's looking for a sugar daddy, Matt Gaetz is available! Maybe she's too old though.

by Anonymousreply 66June 2, 2021 7:47 PM

Basic chicks like her who think living in NYC is a personality trait are one of the main reasons the city is lame now (just behind insane cost of living).

by Anonymousreply 67June 2, 2021 7:47 PM

R66, she’s too old for Gaetz. She’s graduated from Junior High.....

by Anonymousreply 68June 2, 2021 7:48 PM

That's sad.

by Anonymousreply 69June 2, 2021 7:49 PM

These <100 sqft apartments in the western world are really only common in Manhattan, San Francisco, and London due to lax housing laws in those cities. In Seattle, apartments must be at least 220 sqft.

by Anonymousreply 70June 2, 2021 7:49 PM

If she's happy and not miserable living in a shoe box then good for her. Unlike so many who live in mansions but led depressing lives.

by Anonymousreply 71June 2, 2021 7:50 PM

I don't think she's happy. The entire article is screaming "dear sugar daddies, save me!"

by Anonymousreply 72June 2, 2021 7:53 PM

What NYC needs are these social apartments that Tokyo is known for. You can afford small apartments that while small, are not suffocatingly so. Plus you get amenities like work and socializing spaces so you feel like a part of community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2021 7:57 PM

Anything less than 300 sq feet is unlivable

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2021 7:58 PM

Is the space so small she has to shit in bed and kick it out with her foot?

by Anonymousreply 75June 2, 2021 7:59 PM

She's been living there for less than a year but gets an article written about her small apartment life? I'm guessing daddy works in the media.

by Anonymousreply 76June 2, 2021 8:00 PM

Where does she keep the cat litter box?

by Anonymousreply 77June 2, 2021 8:01 PM

Bio: Via Hendrix is a freelance writer based out of NYC. She graduated from Middle Tennessee State University with a degree in Theatre, and is working to pursue a career in that field as well as fashion. She enjoys sharing what she has learned so far as a NYC newbie, and hopes to help inspire others to make the move to the greatest city in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 2, 2021 8:05 PM

I was Team Micro Apt until I read about the cat. That’s just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 79June 2, 2021 8:05 PM

[quote] Where does she keep the cat litter box?

Maybe she just holds the cat's ass out the window and lets it shit/piss on the street.

by Anonymousreply 80June 2, 2021 8:05 PM

Is that a picture of Susan Dey on her wall? (first photo of the trio).

Susan Dey has no comment

by Anonymousreply 81June 2, 2021 8:06 PM

If you look very closely in the first picture, I believe that orange poster says:

"do not fool yourself into believing you're special or unique"

And yet she chose this lifestyle....

by Anonymousreply 82June 2, 2021 8:10 PM

Help me out. That's 6.6 square meters? It looks slightly bigger than that. The shower would annoy me, otherwise I could live with it. Priorities change when you get older and that's okay.. It's a luxury not to need a car and be independent from public transport.

by Anonymousreply 83June 2, 2021 8:12 PM

I suspect that she and the kitty are sharing the same toilet.

by Anonymousreply 84June 2, 2021 8:12 PM

Honolulu also has 100 sf apartments meant for returning military in the 40s.

by Anonymousreply 85June 2, 2021 8:13 PM

The other thing that puts me off aside from not being able to cook or wash and dry my clothes is the noise she complains about. As someone who suffers from insomnia and is a light sleeper, that would get old really fast!!

by Anonymousreply 86June 2, 2021 8:18 PM

Your first couple of place are supposed to be shitty...I never lived in NYC but had craptastic places in DC and Boston with crazy amounts of roommates...she’s kind of ahead of the game if she’s already living alone. Plus 21 year olds in NYC aren’t home too much

by Anonymousreply 87June 2, 2021 8:18 PM

I wish I was that adventurous at 21. Good for her. Walks outside and has the best of everything at her disposal

by Anonymousreply 88June 2, 2021 8:19 PM

R87 I wouldn’t say she’s ahead of the game. I mean I doubt she’s able to save for something better when her rent and lifestyle are probably going to be eating up most of her salary.

I notice she has a sex & the city poster on her wall so I guess she’s where she wants to be. I mean she’s living the way Carrie probably would be in reality.

But I would be a little self conscious about having some guy over and having to pull out my futon…

by Anonymousreply 89June 2, 2021 8:21 PM

R88 I trust she enjoys windows-shopping. I just remember never being able to afford anything in my 20s in New York. But it was fine then, I just liked looking at beautiful brownstones and fancy stores, dreaming....

by Anonymousreply 90June 2, 2021 8:22 PM

I could live that way for a week or two I suppose, a month at most. But not during a lockdown. That’s depressing af.

by Anonymousreply 91June 2, 2021 8:23 PM

Winter might be a little tough, when did she move in?

by Anonymousreply 92June 2, 2021 8:24 PM

I’m obsessed, can’t stop thinking of this story, maybe because it’s bringing back so many memories of my youth. Some nice things about the box: hardwood floors... decent newish tilework in the bathroom as opposed to old and moldy...Nice view, at least she’s not in the back of the building, although you have to be careful of fire escapes, I was robbed twice through my window, finally had to put on bars...And finally she’s done cute things with it, it’s like an adorable dorm room. I’d be curious to see how long she lasts there.

by Anonymousreply 93June 2, 2021 8:31 PM

Small is one thing. This is obscene. She has to put everything away mid-task. I'd go insane.

The article is signalling to Wall Street bros that she'd make a great second wife. Her degree from Middle Tennessee State University isn't gonna take her that far.

by Anonymousreply 94June 2, 2021 8:31 PM

R83 if you’re American it’s about 7x10 feet. A lot of these micro-or in her case minuscule apartments photograph bigger than they are in actuality.

by Anonymousreply 95June 2, 2021 8:36 PM

She can shit, piss, shave and brush her teeth while on the can!

by Anonymousreply 96June 2, 2021 8:44 PM

She can use the toilet seat as an extra chair for guests. It’s such a short distance from the living area anyway.

by Anonymousreply 97June 2, 2021 8:47 PM

Why is it $1,345 per month???

I think she really could have gotten it for less. There are bigger apartments in the village going for less. She got ripped off.

by Anonymousreply 98June 2, 2021 8:52 PM

R98 no one said she was smart.

by Anonymousreply 99June 2, 2021 8:54 PM

That’s less than my mortgage on a 4,000 sq ft house in central MA. I bought in 2013 when things were affordable.

by Anonymousreply 100June 2, 2021 8:57 PM

Sorry MORE

by Anonymousreply 101June 2, 2021 8:57 PM

This is not right. Something has to change. People do need housing. Fuck the republicans that removed basic space requirements per person. This is what happens. How do you go back?

by Anonymousreply 102June 2, 2021 8:59 PM

[quote]I'm 21 and live in a 72-square-foot NYC apartment that costs $1,345 a month.

My first apartment at that age (in the mid 00s) was 1,300 dollars a month in NYC. It had three bedrooms and was pretty big. I split it with two other guys.

As soon as we moved out that shot up to 2K a month. Last check, places in that area were over 3K a month.

Our parents would have never let us settle for a shoebox.

Her whole bathroom is a shower? This is absolutely disgusting. I don't know why landlords take advantage of kids like this?

I also don't know how she couldn't find something better in another part of the city.

by Anonymousreply 103June 2, 2021 9:01 PM

"Marcie leaves/and doesn't tell us/where or why she moved away..."

by Anonymousreply 104June 2, 2021 9:03 PM

R103 she needed to be "in the middle of the action"

by Anonymousreply 105June 2, 2021 9:03 PM

you need rent control and basic space requirements per person or else shit like this happens.

by Anonymousreply 106June 2, 2021 9:03 PM

I would have anxiety attacks from claustrophobia in there. You can’t be outside all the time during winter and thunderstorms etc. I hate not having options, options such as walking into another room.

by Anonymousreply 107June 2, 2021 9:04 PM

it like a dorm room without the locker/bath room down the hall and a large cafeteria/kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 108June 2, 2021 9:05 PM

i feel sorry for the cat. it is too small for a cat. Also, a HUMAN. this is not right.

by Anonymousreply 109June 2, 2021 9:05 PM

Even I turned that shithole down.

by Anonymousreply 110June 2, 2021 9:10 PM

Is she trans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 2, 2021 9:11 PM

What makes you ask that in the cat photos, R111?

by Anonymousreply 112June 2, 2021 9:12 PM

R112 111 is an idiot

by Anonymousreply 113June 2, 2021 9:14 PM

Can someone please explain to me what the woman in the article means when she says she wants to be "in the middle of the action?" Like going to bars, restaurants, and parks? That's pretty mundane.

Her Instagram just has her running around NYC dressed like a lolita and snapping pics.

by Anonymousreply 114June 2, 2021 9:14 PM

This is exact same unit was featured on Erik Conover’s YouTube channel a couple of weeks ago.

Surprisingly, it is not a the tiniest apartment on the video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 2, 2021 9:14 PM

Her Insta does look like a sugar baby ad.

by Anonymousreply 116June 2, 2021 9:15 PM

One can do this when one is young no?

by Anonymousreply 117June 2, 2021 9:16 PM

R117 I was 21 in a 400 sq ft apartment in Center City Philly. Anything smaller would've been insane.

by Anonymousreply 118June 2, 2021 9:18 PM

Fucking Amateur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 2, 2021 9:19 PM

R114 I was wondering the same. And as much as people say they could live at the met, even going to the same museums and galleries would become a chore after a while.

by Anonymousreply 120June 2, 2021 9:20 PM

Where do her servants sleep?

by Anonymousreply 121June 2, 2021 9:22 PM

Years ago when I was a student in Paris, I lived in a room that wasn't much bigger than this, but I enjoyed every moment of my life at that time. Being in Paris, my studies and social life were what meant back then. Now, only watching these photos make me feel claustrophobic. Every age sets its own terms for living.

by Anonymousreply 122June 2, 2021 9:23 PM

I could totally do that - if I had a working bathroom/shower.

In my three bedroom apartment? 99.99 percent of the time I'm in my bedroom. And I don't cook, so the kitchen is really for show and maybe some frozen veggies.

I grew up dirt poor and am actually used to tiny spaces. It's just what I knew, so, now? It's what I know.

by Anonymousreply 123June 2, 2021 9:23 PM

I hope she uses candles or incense. That hotbox must smell really ripe with a cat and her stinky vagine.

by Anonymousreply 124June 2, 2021 9:24 PM

Cliche

by Anonymousreply 125June 2, 2021 9:29 PM

That bathroom is a breeding ground for mold, all of the surfaces are tile. She’d have to open the windows at all times for aeration, if she or a guest uses the bathroom then the entire 72 sq. ft would smell like it.

by Anonymousreply 126June 2, 2021 9:38 PM

R106 I know, right?

by Anonymousreply 127June 2, 2021 9:47 PM

When my sister moved to NYC she rented a shoebox room like this in a "2 bedroom" apartment 15 or so years ago. Her cunty roommate basically made it clear she was only allowed to use the rest of the apartment when the roommate wasn't around. My sister was paying something like $800 a month for the shoebox. After a few months with the cunty bitch, she ended up going through her mail and found a rent receipt. Turns out the cunty bitch was paying $900 total in rent for the place (which was rent controlled), $800 of which my sister paid. Sister moved out not long after--moral of the story is that NYC has a lot of shady people willing to rip people off that come in straight off the farm.

The cunty roommate worked in the fashion industry and had all kinds of free samples of makeup--my sister helped herself to much of them on the way out the door.

by Anonymousreply 128June 2, 2021 9:53 PM

NYC isn’t all that to be charging over $1300 for a glorified closet with toilet. World class city like Tokyo for 60,000 yen or $550 US dollars a month, you can rent a 145 sq. ft. place that comes with a patio. Also included are amenities like work space, cafe, social kitchen/ gathering space, free wifi, huge lounge/ tv room. Looks modern, clean, and well-designed, unlike the makeshift 72 sq. ft. closet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 2, 2021 10:01 PM

She's a 21 year old not living with her parents, a rare thing. I'll praise her for that.

by Anonymousreply 130June 2, 2021 10:03 PM

^ I’m sure they’re paying the rent

by Anonymousreply 131June 2, 2021 10:05 PM

One must NEVER substitute a purse wall for a wig wall!

by Anonymousreply 132June 2, 2021 10:06 PM

R131 Daddy is paying the rent one way or the other...

by Anonymousreply 133June 2, 2021 10:07 PM

I can't imagine drawing that kind of attention to myself at that age and including pole dancing vids. Guess it depends on your career goals, but yikes.

by Anonymousreply 134June 2, 2021 10:09 PM

R134 she's looking to shack up with a celebrity or rich guy. I doubt she is actually career minded.

by Anonymousreply 135June 2, 2021 10:12 PM

R134 her goals are a rich man. End of list.

by Anonymousreply 136June 2, 2021 10:13 PM

So she's 21 and already hooked on insomnia drugs because it's so noisy in there?

I'm afraid this will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 137June 2, 2021 10:15 PM

Agreed, R2. The fuck I would...

by Anonymousreply 138June 2, 2021 10:19 PM

*NYC Fan, But Not Of Living There

by Anonymousreply 139June 2, 2021 10:20 PM

1) It's not * that* unusual for someone in New York to not have a full working kitchen.

2) She should be paying less money, but its not only that she wanted to be in Manhattan she wanted wanted be in the WEST VILLAGE. One of the most expensive neighborhoods in Manhattan. A space like that in the LES or HK would be cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 140June 2, 2021 10:25 PM

I lived in NYC in my youth as well. Some great memories, and learned a lot about myself.

But, I lived in total squalor for the first 5 years there in Manhattan (1988-1993), when I finally wised up and got a huge brownstone in Brooklyn with two friends. Man did that make a difference, and Park Slope area of 1993 was not quite gentrified, so it was very affordable and fun, with lots of character. HUGE apartment, with everyone getting a huge bedroom, working fireplace, and trees everywhere. Mixed race neighborhood (Prospect Heights, near Grand Army Plaza/Crown Heights), so everyone was a minority.

My craziest housing set up was living in the UES in a loft bed situated over a space big enough for a bed, and the toilet was a water closet you had to walk through my "bedroom" to access. I lived with a very funny chick who had a crush on little gay me. She had the only actual bedroom, which was really just a small livingroom off the kitchen. The kitchen had a shower stall in it with a translucent plexi glass, and she would sit there at the tiny kitchen table, drinking Chardonnay and watch me shower, making comments - she was harmless and charming. The roaches were plentiful and got everywhere. This was 1990, and I paid $250 per month for my share of the apartment, and she paid $400. I was 20. I loved it. The really cool thing was, this girl traveled a lot, worked on cruise ships, and ended up moving in with random guys for months at a time. All I had to do was watch her parrot, who I loved, and she was hardly ever there. This was right near Central Park too.

Now at 50, I could not tolerate that of course, but I certainly did at 20, and I don't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 141June 2, 2021 10:25 PM

I looked at the pictures. It should be illegal to rent out a space like this as somewhere a person is meant to live.

by Anonymousreply 142June 2, 2021 10:27 PM

I've seen worse.

Starts at 2:02.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143June 2, 2021 10:30 PM

R143, at least the price is correct, and fair for the market. This lady we're dishing about got ripped off. Her father should only be paying 3 figures a month.

by Anonymousreply 144June 2, 2021 10:32 PM

[quote] SATC has convinced two generations of women that banker dude bros are their future. Sick, really.

That show has done more damage, it's unbelievable. I wish it never existed.

by Anonymousreply 145June 2, 2021 11:02 PM

That one in the YouTube video is in Hells Kitchen r144. But "Friends" took place in West Village, Carrie from SATC lived in West Village. She has to pay a premium to live in her "favorite neighborhood"

by Anonymousreply 146June 2, 2021 11:08 PM

She could've found a studio in Yorkville that was bigger for the same amount of rent.

by Anonymousreply 147June 2, 2021 11:16 PM

I kind of like the place. I think it's nice for a 21-year-old living in New York City by herself. I do not like the bathroom, but at least she has her own powder room. I was expecting it to be one of those places where she would have to share a bathroom (located down the hall outside her "apartment") with some of her neighbors. So the poor excuse of a bathroom that she has is better than having to share one with neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 148June 2, 2021 11:17 PM

Fucking SATC helped ruin NY by encouraging all these annoying Goobers to come here.

by Anonymousreply 149June 2, 2021 11:17 PM

R149 you love me!

by Anonymousreply 150June 2, 2021 11:20 PM

My first apartment was a one-bedroom on Lake Shore Drive in what was once called Boystown. I thought I had it rough for having an alley kitchen.

If it makes her happy, fine.

The whole point of these videos and articles are for non-New Yorkers to feel superior. If we saw a spacious loft that cost millions, all we'd feel is envy.

by Anonymousreply 151June 2, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote]I lived in NYC in my youth as well. Some great memories, and learned a lot about myself.

Thank you for sharing this story, R141.

It took me back. We used to have about 3-5 people staying with us every weekend our first year in NYC. We eventually became the "gateway" for a lot of other kids from our college to move. They'd come, stay with us for a while, they get their own places.

A guy I was staying with once, straight, had a shower like that. I remember him telling me once (he knew I was gay) that it was totally okay for me to shower whenever I wanted. After a while of being there, I'd have conversations with him while he was showering and I was drinking, eating, or working. It was no big deal. The same happened in reverse. If he had someone over or I had someone over we just had to get used to the idea that someone might be naked in the middle of our living room/kitchen/everything.

Everyone was so open and fun back then. That's one aspect of being young that I miss.

by Anonymousreply 152June 2, 2021 11:26 PM

Carrie Bradshaw lived at 245 e. 73rd. St., which is Yorkville/UES

by Anonymousreply 153June 2, 2021 11:27 PM

R153 Not quite Yorkville. I always thought of Yorkville (where I lived for a few years) as north of 86th.

But really, you can still get a decent studio for that amount in Yorkville? It's a great neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 154June 2, 2021 11:32 PM

I immediately noticed the Sex in the City framed poster.

We all know what that means.

by Anonymousreply 155June 2, 2021 11:50 PM

It’s extreme, but it’s a version of the compromises most young people make when starting out post-college. My compromise was moving in with two strangers for a year because the rent was dirt cheap: $180 month in 1989 in Chicago. My bedroom was about the size of this girl’s whole apartment, but I had a normal sized bathroom all to myself and a shared normal sized kitchen. Had to do laundry around the corner at a laundromat, which sucked, but again those are the compromises you make when you’re first staring out. I stuck it out a year before moving into a much bigger place with a friend.

by Anonymousreply 156June 2, 2021 11:52 PM

That room looks like 1967.

by Anonymousreply 157June 2, 2021 11:53 PM

R155 What does it mean? That she's aspiring to an asinine romanticized view of NYC that is 25 years out of date?

by Anonymousreply 158June 2, 2021 11:55 PM

[quote] A perk, though, is that I can easily brush my teeth and do my skin-care routine in the shower at night. I can also use my mirror while brushing my hair in the shower.

What the ACTUAL fuck???? She sounds like a prisoner trying to talk up how great her jail cell is.

by Anonymousreply 159June 2, 2021 11:55 PM

We know that's really your dorm room...who you trying to fool OP?

by Anonymousreply 160June 2, 2021 11:58 PM

I looked at her Instagram and there aren’t Any clips of her performing musical theater, I wonder if she has any talent?

by Anonymousreply 161June 2, 2021 11:59 PM

Yorkville starts at 79th street, east of Lexington R154. It was the old German/Hungarian/Czech neighborhood and there were elevated trains on 2nd and 3rd, which is why those avenues are so wide.

by Anonymousreply 162June 3, 2021 12:00 AM

R161, I can only imagine her showing up at auditions with her Podunk theater degree, coquettishly trying to sell it as a perk, like brushing teeth on the toilet/shower.

by Anonymousreply 163June 3, 2021 12:02 AM

Fascinating that so many of you are bothered by this.

I suspect if this were about a woman COMPLAINING about the terrible space she was forced to live in this thread would die after four or five posts.

But she's HAPPY living there and I'm not sure why this bothers so many of you.

She's 21 and I doubt she'll be living there for more than a year or two.

And the whole "Sex and the City ruined Manhattan!" bullshit.

As if most 21 year olds have the slightest clue that show even exists.

(Yes, Miss Tennessee does, but she also know Love Story and is clearly an exception.)

Any theories on why this woman's happiness is so triggering?

by Anonymousreply 164June 3, 2021 12:04 AM

"Hello world! I'd like you all to know that I'm a fucking idiot who prioritizes being Carrie Bradshaw over any reasonable quality of life"

by Anonymousreply 165June 3, 2021 12:05 AM

She's. 21 and the rent is the cost of a semester in a dorm.

When you are 21, you're never home unless you're ill. 1,300 is obscenely expensive. TOO MUCH!

A one bedroom apartment in a non desirable neighborhood in the outer borough rents fit 16 hundred. You didn't move from Tennessee to live in a shithole in the Bronx.

Look at that sink. Storage space is a premium in any apartment, why didn't the management install a sink with storage underneath ?

Real estate is the long con.

by Anonymousreply 166June 3, 2021 12:06 AM

I feel sorry for the cat cooped up in that shit hole 24/7. Borderline cruelty.

by Anonymousreply 167June 3, 2021 12:09 AM

Well both are true r153. The building actually used to represent Carrie's apartment was on Perry Street in the West Village. If you want to do a Sex in thr Cory tour to see Carrie's apt, they take you to the village.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168June 3, 2021 12:18 AM

Agreed, R116, except the gold-digger/twit/authoress is in the West Village, she says.

But, R164, are you really so naive about this person's "piece"?

by Anonymousreply 169June 3, 2021 12:19 AM

[quote]And the whole "Sex and the City ruined Manhattan!" bullshit.

It ain't bullshit honey.

by Anonymousreply 170June 3, 2021 12:21 AM

At least she doesn’t have to worry about that neighborhood grifter woman making moves on her apartment. I wonder what’s going on with that mess?

by Anonymousreply 171June 3, 2021 12:21 AM

She got majorly ripped off. Thanks to Co-vid, you can rent normal sized studios for btwn 1500-1900

by Anonymousreply 172June 3, 2021 12:22 AM

I guarantee that apartment is 70%+ of her income

by Anonymousreply 173June 3, 2021 12:22 AM

[quote]As if most 21 year olds have the slightest clue that show even exists.

I'm sure you're on the fucking pulse of what 21 year olds actually care about, YMF.

by Anonymousreply 174June 3, 2021 12:23 AM

YMF needs to STFU. He's lived with a silver spoon in his mouth his whole life.

by Anonymousreply 175June 3, 2021 12:25 AM

What is Via short for, Viola? Sounds very Mama’s Family. Everything about Via that we know of sounds low-middle brow trying to look “classy”. She’s too good to live in the boroughs yet not too good to live in a closet with her (likely) stir-crazy cat. Then there are the stripper pole in her post, love of SATC....she’s stuck in the 90s but she’s only 21?

by Anonymousreply 176June 3, 2021 12:26 AM

R176 Olivia

by Anonymousreply 177June 3, 2021 12:28 AM

Did an instadrive. She's been in NYC for a month, so if she hasn't gone insane yet, she will soon.

And if this is the family home, we know who is paying rent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178June 3, 2021 12:32 AM

NYC has been like this for some time now - kids who come from money being supported by their parents.

by Anonymousreply 179June 3, 2021 12:38 AM

R179 some of us work hard teaching chess!

by Anonymousreply 180June 3, 2021 12:40 AM

Thats true about most twirling through NYC.

by Anonymousreply 181June 3, 2021 12:40 AM

She's 21. They do things like this, especially ones who consider renting an apartment in New York as "living the dream." They're young, they're willing to put up with living like this, considering it just part of the package of living "where the action is."

When I was in college I lived in a dorm with roommates. Hated it. I wanted out of that situation. I didn't have any money so the only place I could go was a shithole apartment the size of a closet. It DID have an actual, bathroom, though. And a mini-fridge. If you're young and and you don't have indulgent parents you have to make do. I think this girl is doing the best she can in her situation and it seems to work for her. But it still seems like a gross living situation. But when you're young it living like that doesn't seem to matter much.

by Anonymousreply 182June 3, 2021 12:41 AM

Wait until the summer, hope she likes humid NYC nights. I feel for the cat more than Via, at least she gets to walk around, that poor cat is stuck there 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 183June 3, 2021 12:43 AM

Oh geez. I didn't think about air conditioning.

by Anonymousreply 184June 3, 2021 12:49 AM

Someone should report her to the aspca. This is animal cruelty, no?

by Anonymousreply 185June 3, 2021 12:51 AM

No fucking air conditioning in a room that small? Ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 186June 3, 2021 12:52 AM

I don't mind that she is dealing with a microapartment. I mind that she is paying 1350!!!

She is so getting ripped off.

by Anonymousreply 187June 3, 2021 12:58 AM

R187 her dad is...

by Anonymousreply 188June 3, 2021 1:00 AM

We all are, r187. Look at that bathroom. Disgraceful.

by Anonymousreply 189June 3, 2021 1:05 AM

Shes pretty,shes young,I hope shes making lots of memories. Honestly,some of you too grand for words bitches are so negative. As a few posters have said,when your young and fabulous,its just a place to sleep or fuck. At her age I rarely ate much anyway,so a sandwich or a salad would do. So what if she cant cook a turkey ? That being said,would I live there now ? Of course not,but Im old and fat and spoiled. At 21 ? You bet your ass I would have,and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 190June 3, 2021 1:09 AM

at least she is living her dream instead of just fantasizing about it. at 21, she is above her peers

by Anonymousreply 191June 3, 2021 1:09 AM

This chick is no where near “fabulous”, unless the definition has changed.

by Anonymousreply 192June 3, 2021 1:12 AM

She’ll be asking daddy for a bigger apartment once the NYC summer hits! It’s so uncomfortable in summer.

by Anonymousreply 193June 3, 2021 1:13 AM

She's here temporarily. 6 months at most.

by Anonymousreply 194June 3, 2021 1:14 AM

I couldn't live with that bathroom, but the rest of it is cute

by Anonymousreply 195June 3, 2021 1:16 AM

She'll have a story to tell.

by Anonymousreply 196June 3, 2021 1:17 AM

Where are you seeing her picture?

by Anonymousreply 197June 3, 2021 1:18 AM

She’ll move to the boroughs by middle of summer.

by Anonymousreply 198June 3, 2021 1:18 AM

Not very interesting but she made the right choice for her. It's not a studio, it's a room and a dump. The owner is clearly a greedy pig. But as she said, at least she doesn't have to put up with obnoxious roommates.

by Anonymousreply 199June 3, 2021 1:19 AM

She's not a bad singer. A little plain looking, but nothing a nose job can't fix. Only a matter of time before Broadway comes a-knocking, girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200June 3, 2021 1:21 AM

[quote]at least she is living her dream instead of just fantasizing about it. at 21, she is above her peers

Her parents are bankrolling her "dream."

by Anonymousreply 201June 3, 2021 1:22 AM

[quote] The owner is clearly a greedy pig.

Yeah, we know what that's code for.

by Anonymousreply 202June 3, 2021 1:22 AM

This is the kind of kid we need in NYC. Not focused on glamour and comfort - just on living in her dream city far away from the shithole town she grew up in. I would get a roomie and a1-2 bedroom apt for $2,700. But I respect her for making it work at 21 - while most spoiled little kids are moving back into their childhood bedrooms. Good for her!

by Anonymousreply 203June 3, 2021 1:24 AM

Aw. I like her. She's got spunk! When she's a big star, we'll all remember dragging her funny little apartment.

by Anonymousreply 204June 3, 2021 1:25 AM

r203 she's not paying for any of this herself. Kids who move to NYC today rarely are. It's all about being bankrolled by their parents.

The reason young people today still live at home in their 20s is because the cost of housing is so high.

by Anonymousreply 205June 3, 2021 1:26 AM

R73 They are charming and civilized spaces. There is no way developments like these will happen in NYC while people are still lining up to pay that much for unpleasantness and squalor.

by Anonymousreply 206June 3, 2021 1:27 AM

She needs a heroin addiction to go with that flop house!

Also those concerned about her not being able to cook? She's from Tennessee and under 200lbs, I doubt she eats!

by Anonymousreply 207June 3, 2021 1:29 AM

NYC still has so much old housing stock from 100-plus years ago that needs to be torn down and replaced with modern, livable buildings.

by Anonymousreply 208June 3, 2021 1:30 AM

The layout of Carrie's apartment is misleading again. That is no "studio", that is a four-bedroom house that has been converted to look like a studio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209June 3, 2021 1:32 AM

The center of the action is in Brooklyn. Shockingly. Not the WV.

by Anonymousreply 210June 3, 2021 1:35 AM

That's a nice apartment r209. It would probably cost about $4000 per month now.

by Anonymousreply 211June 3, 2021 1:35 AM

I hate that you can’t walk between places in Brooklyn like you can in the Village.

by Anonymousreply 212June 3, 2021 1:37 AM

[Quote]If you want to do a Sex in thr Cory tour to see Carrie's apt, they take you to the village.

Sex in the Cory might be my new favourite DLism.

by Anonymousreply 213June 3, 2021 1:40 AM

I can’t help but think, how does a single gal in her early twenties live in a micro space and yet have an expensive Louis Vuitton Neverfull hanging on her doorknob?

by Anonymousreply 214June 3, 2021 1:42 AM

I expected to hate the shower-bathroom combo, but now I kind of love it. The noise of the city can be annoying when I'm trying to go to sleep, so I play music or use earplugs

When it gets close to bedtime, I always plug in my air conditioner, as it is a great buffer for all the street noise. I also play some music. If the noise gets really bad, I use earplugs.

I finish my evening by taking melatonin to help me sleep, putting rain sounds on my speaker, and pulling my futon back into a bed.

by Anonymousreply 215June 3, 2021 1:44 AM

It is wrong for people to live in 72 sq. ft. dumps like that and be proud of living that way. It’s indicative of how fucked up real estate and rent prices are in coveted cities like NYC, SF, etc... if people refuse to live this way then there won’t be landlords taking advantage and getting away with it. I get that she’s 21 and thinks it’s cute to live this way because hey, it’s where she wants to be right now. But this type of spaces, I refuse to call it an apartment, is partly why rent is so fucking expensive.

by Anonymousreply 216June 3, 2021 1:45 AM

The building management / apartment owner is a low down, money grubbing grifter.

by Anonymousreply 217June 3, 2021 1:48 AM

The saddest thing is people who move to NYC when they're young and are still living like this when they're 40. At that point it's time to GTFO and move somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 218June 3, 2021 1:48 AM

[quote]The building management / apartment owner is a low down, money grubbing grifter.

Just say "Jew." It's quicker and to the point.

by Anonymousreply 219June 3, 2021 1:49 AM

What does it say about her that she can't find one friend she can tolerate to split a much bigger place?

by Anonymousreply 220June 3, 2021 2:04 AM

Imagine being the property manager and giving a tour of that shithole

by Anonymousreply 221June 3, 2021 2:05 AM

A tour? Basically the manager opens the door and says “here’s your shit hole”.

by Anonymousreply 222June 3, 2021 2:10 AM

Does New York even have the club life it used to have? If you were going out every night and working I could understand living there but it doesn’t seem like it would be worth it in today’s New York.

by Anonymousreply 223June 3, 2021 2:11 AM

And getting a cat on top of it. Will she go full Melissa Beth and send the thing to mom and dad?

by Anonymousreply 224June 3, 2021 2:12 AM

I can't tell the difference between an authentic designer handbag and shit sold on the street.

by Anonymousreply 225June 3, 2021 2:18 AM

Living in a shitty apartment is "living the dream?" Some "dream!" And paying that much for it. Oh well, if you live in NY that's what you've gotta do, live in an expensive shithole, unless you've got lots and lots of money.

by Anonymousreply 226June 3, 2021 2:21 AM

There aren't really any clubs anymore, if you're thinking of places that are like the Palladium and the Tunnel were. That world is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 227June 3, 2021 2:23 AM

Do we know if this is a Kushner/Trump property? That wouldn't be at all shocking.

by Anonymousreply 228June 3, 2021 2:25 AM

I live in the West Village and there are a lot of girls with the “center of the universe” ideas. One girl recently moved in and she said, “I wanted the Greenwich Village experience.” Honesty, I don’t understand what that means because the party has left the West Village. All creativity had moved out, they’re building overpriced, ugly buildings in places where gay men used to have sex and the West Village had just become finishing school for NYU students. I don’t get it. The East Village had better restaurants, the Upper East and Upper West Sides are closer to Central Park. What drives all these girls to live in the West Village? Is it so they can tell their children they were bohemians?

And this girl should be more aligned with Glee which sensibly had Rachel and Kurt living in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 229June 3, 2021 2:35 AM

Corcoran owns or is partial owner of these dumps. This made the news a while back. Look at the state of the apartment. Dude was hospitalized for months, his belongings trashed and not one repair was made to his unit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230June 3, 2021 2:40 AM

The West. Village is the new Upper East Side - wealthy, safe and therefore attractive to young girls whose parents can subsidize rent.

The average age in the West Village seems to have dropped from 45 to 25 in the past year. Amazing how dramatic it is. The sudden and dramatic drop in rents for small spaces made it possible for every 20-something who ever wanted to live in the WV to do so. It includes gaylings . Huge number of young gay men have moved in. Won’t last but this years rent drops were a wonderful thing.

by Anonymousreply 231June 3, 2021 3:07 AM

R231 I'm just shocked her parents agreed to such a tiny shithole. Even Melissa Beth's dad had standards

by Anonymousreply 232June 3, 2021 3:10 AM

She's basically renting a very expensive private dorm room.

by Anonymousreply 233June 3, 2021 3:17 AM

R233 I was a slut in college and bent over in a LOT of dorm rooms. Never in one that small.

by Anonymousreply 234June 3, 2021 3:31 AM

For $600 more than this I pay my half of a million dollar mortgage for a great 3BR house, in a spectacular neighborhood, in a city that rivals New York in terms of cost of living.

by Anonymousreply 235June 3, 2021 3:34 AM

R235 is typing from Des Moines

by Anonymousreply 236June 3, 2021 3:37 AM

NYC isn't all that. Nice to visit for a few days but completely overrated IMO. She should move back to Knoxville or Memphis, both decent sized cities near her family that won't chew her up and spit her out. Then again, if she finds that Wall Street sugar daddy, it'll all be worth it! Just like Carrie and Big!

by Anonymousreply 237June 3, 2021 3:57 AM

^ I forgot Nashville in there too.

by Anonymousreply 238June 3, 2021 3:58 AM

They all want a big shot Finance guy to marry them, like they're fucking Cinderella.

BTW many of those Finance guys are basically sociopaths. Horrible people.

by Anonymousreply 239June 3, 2021 3:58 AM

R239 but they'll keep me in Louboutins!

by Anonymousreply 240June 3, 2021 4:28 AM

Via was Liv for awhile. Or is that her Sugar Baby's name? Better take him to a hotel.

by Anonymousreply 241June 3, 2021 4:33 AM

Notice how they all want to be SATC, no one wants to be Girls.

by Anonymousreply 242June 3, 2021 4:36 AM

Try borrowing a few books on interior decor, or watch a few programs.

You could class that space up if you try . Get rid a the juvenile junk. And make your bed.

by Anonymousreply 243June 3, 2021 4:38 AM

Loved living there in the early 2000s, but New York bugs the shit out of me now. People whose identity is based on being a New Yorker exhaust me. Where's my drinky poo?

by Anonymousreply 244June 3, 2021 4:56 AM

100% agree, R243. Get rid of all the shitty posters, the trashy bags. Embrace a minimalist decor and the place could look quite good. At the moment it looks like a storage cupboard from That 70s Show.

by Anonymousreply 245June 3, 2021 4:59 AM

The clothes rack needs to go away. The shit she has all over the walls needs to come down. Minimalist is the only way that space would ever work.

Bitch is lying about loving her shower/bathroom situation. That would be unbearable with the humidity and smell.

by Anonymousreply 246June 3, 2021 5:10 AM

[quote]my electric water heater

So, a kettle?

by Anonymousreply 247June 3, 2021 5:15 AM

Basically this apartment is screaming for an Ikea makeover, and maybe she's hoping that they'll see the article, her IG and offer to do it. Streamlined and white would open up what little space she has in there. I know she's not sleeping well on that shitty futon.

by Anonymousreply 248June 3, 2021 5:18 AM

What does she do to earn money? What kind of job does she have? Or does she not work at all, and does her mom and dad send her an allowance?

by Anonymousreply 249June 3, 2021 5:25 AM

This looks familiar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250June 3, 2021 5:35 AM

That is a prison cell.

by Anonymousreply 251June 3, 2021 5:41 AM

R251, The showers in prison are much bigger than that one.

by Anonymousreply 252June 3, 2021 5:42 AM

Absurd. But at least she's paying rent and not living on the street and shitting on the sidewalk. You goooo girl!!! Yassss my kween!!

by Anonymousreply 253June 3, 2021 5:46 AM

I once lived in a 400 square foot place and got sick of it after a couple of years: There was no room for anything. She'll be out of there as soon as she scores a rich boyfriend or husband.

by Anonymousreply 254June 3, 2021 5:47 AM

R254 or until her dad gets sick of paying the bills

by Anonymousreply 255June 3, 2021 5:48 AM

Is this even legal? I remember a similar story about a woman who lived in a 90-square-foot apartment and soon after it was published, the city made her landlord stop renting the place out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256June 3, 2021 5:48 AM

Also, despite calling herself a professional organizer, the 90-square-foot place above is even worse than the one at the start of this thread. It literally looks like a storage closet.

by Anonymousreply 257June 3, 2021 5:51 AM

that wet bathroom is so third world.

by Anonymousreply 258June 3, 2021 5:51 AM

R256 not quite.

In 2011 we posted about a writer, artist, and professional organizer named Felice Cohen who was living in a 90-square-foot microstudio in Manhattan. She gave a tour of her apartment to Kirsten Dirksen of *faircompanies which went viral. Dirksen has now gone back to visit with Felice and explains, “Thanks to all the attention, Felice’s landlord discovered she wasn’t on the lease and evicted her (well, gave her the option to pay double the rent). Felice considered staying and paying $1300 or $1400 per month for her miniscule space, but then decided to listen to her grandparents who insisted that it was time to buy.” Her new apartment is in the same neighborhood and while it is much larger (at 500 square feet), she admits missing her tiny microstudio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259June 3, 2021 5:53 AM

This was my apartment in my early 20s. 500 sq ft. I can't imagine living in anything smaller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260June 3, 2021 5:56 AM

She should just get herself a Vanguard, get her ass on the road, and learn to shit in a bucket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261June 3, 2021 5:58 AM

Yeah, I don't get the tsk tsking from some of the old biddies on here. She's a 21 year old kid in NYC and she wanted to live IN a fun neighborhood in the heart of the city.

And, the rent isn't that awful...we have $1200 studio apartments in Seattle, though probably a bit bigger than hers.

Where do all you old Aunties live? Topeka? Or, is all this pearl clutching coming from old Uncle Homos in the burbs who can't imagine living in anything smaller than their boring 2400 sq ft tract house?

by Anonymousreply 262June 3, 2021 6:06 AM

I just did a fast search on Trulia for rentals in the West Village. For a small amount more per month, she could get a bigger place. At least 2 had kitchens similar to the apartment posted at R260. 2 rentals were about $1,800 with one being 710 square feet with a courtyard and koi pond. There was also an air conditioner. If she works and pays the rent herself, I can understand why she has no extra money. However, if her parents are helping her with rent, why couldn't she add to it with money from her employment for a better place for her and her cat?

by Anonymousreply 263June 3, 2021 6:14 AM

For 72 sq feet it seems about as good as it could be. But, still, it's fairly insane. I could MAYBE see doing it for ONE single year - if you were young and completely committed to "living" in the city - constantly being out and taking advantage of what the city has to offer. Though even then I have problem getting past how small it is. Plus, it seems too pensive, even by Manhattan standards.

by Anonymousreply 264June 3, 2021 6:15 AM

I just remember having to be so careful with bodily fluids; swallow, don’t spit. With 300 square feet, you can smell outsider jizz forever. You wash the bedding thinking that will resolve the smell. Nope. You wash down walls because he was a shooter. Nope. I finally washed the carpet. He jizzed on the carpet. The smell went away.

by Anonymousreply 265June 3, 2021 6:20 AM

It has been mentioned several times about being young and enjoying what the city has to offer, going out, etc. Okay, how does a young person actually PAY for that lifestyle? What kind of JOB do they have? Even if parents help out, a person has to work to pursue goals, dreams, pay bills, buy food, etc.

by Anonymousreply 266June 3, 2021 6:24 AM

Slaves of New York There's no fucking room! Even to move around. And her life sounds like a boring, robotic routine. How much time can you spend outside of where you live? It's like a cutely decorated prison cell!

by Anonymousreply 267June 3, 2021 6:28 AM

[quote]"I wanted to be in the center of the action and live alone."

72 square feet for $1,345?! WTF? My monthly co-op expenses for my five room 1500 square foot apartment aren't even that high.

The allure and 'action' involved living in the West Village will end soon enough. There is a massive mental, and now a financial, toll from living in such a claustrophobic space. I watch YouTube apartment rental videos presented as affordable downtown apartments, some start at $3500. What sort of salaries does a young person have to earn to spend $4200 a year on rent?

This airhead can live alone, and for much less, in Brooklyn or Queens.

by Anonymousreply 268June 3, 2021 6:28 AM

That should have been, $42,000 a year on rent!

by Anonymousreply 269June 3, 2021 6:30 AM

R262 while it’s true that it would be exciting to live in the center of a city as bustling as New York particularly in your early 20s, as this article shows, it comes with some sacrifices unless you have very generous parents who help support your living costs or a cushy job that comes with an apartment.

Maybe it’s now that I’m in my 30s but I would need some peace and quiet. It’s what I expect from my home- a sanctuary where I can tune out from stress…. I want excitement too but I don’t want lots of inconveniences and annoyances that I have to put up with simply to be “close to the action”. I would rather buy a larger place near a major city than miss out on sleep and air con and a decent shower and washing machine… also unless she gets rid of her garbage efficiently it will just accumulate in that place making it even more undesirable and depressing during summer and winters…

by Anonymousreply 270June 3, 2021 6:37 AM

R264 if she's going to be out constantly why not have a roommate or two.

by Anonymousreply 271June 3, 2021 6:37 AM

Roommate situations are fucking psycho now, everybody's crazy. It was bad enough years ago, but now it's reached peak insanity levels.

by Anonymousreply 272June 3, 2021 6:41 AM

she seems happy but so would I if I didn’t want people to think I was a fool. I’ve been in a similar situation temporarily and I said to myself never again. I would be more discerning in future.

I’m sure she was thinking with her Instagram instead of her brain.

by Anonymousreply 273June 3, 2021 6:44 AM

[quote]Where do all you old Aunties live? Topeka? Or, is all this pearl clutching coming from old Uncle Homos in the burbs who can't imagine living in anything smaller than their boring 2400 sq ft tract house?

No, flyover, most native New Yorkers were intelligent to purchase low, they bought lofts, brownstones and co-ops, pre-gentrification. No apartment is worth $30,000-$50,000 a year on rent.

People like you cannot even explain how these young people are affording these outrageous rents on such small apartments, most places are too small to even have a roommate. Unless a young person uses their shoebox size apartment as nothing more than a hotel room and goes out every night, sooner or later they will lose their mind in such a small apartment. The Covid pandemic proved that many people who live in small apartments were losing their sanity faster than people in larger spaces.

Many of my friends live downtown NYC, in the Village, Soho, Tribeca and the LES. One actually purchased a Tribeca loft for only $35,000, that was in the 1980s.

Surely there are other hip, artsy exciting US cities these people could live, NYC is not the center of the universe. Besides, who can live without a toilet bowl, a sink, a shower/tub and closets?! Sheer insanity.

by Anonymousreply 274June 3, 2021 6:45 AM

Do we know if Bogarde and Harvey got along?

by Anonymousreply 275June 3, 2021 6:52 AM

Oops wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 276June 3, 2021 6:53 AM

[quote]She can’t be eating all that healthily on the cheap. No room to store food so either dines out, gets takeout, or convenience food from Trader Joe’s.

There appears to be a small fridge and a microwave near the window, yet no area in the 'kitchen' to store other foods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277June 3, 2021 7:32 AM

[quote]Yeah, I don't get the tsk tsking from some of the old biddies on here. She's a 21 year old kid in NYC and she wanted to live IN a fun neighborhood in the heart of the city.

Or maybe some of us "old biddies" know that she could have a much better apartment, for the same price, while living somewhere else in the city. If she's not going to be at home anyway most of the time then it's not like she'd have to walk across a frozen tundra or take a rickshaw on a road made of hot coals to get from work to home to whatever party spot she wanted to go to.

It's okay not to live in a hot or up-and-coming neighborhood until you can actually afford a great place there.

Most of my friends in their mid-30s and up are buying now in nice areas after spending their 20s in less attractive ones. It never stopped any of them from having fun since they were never at home anyway.

by Anonymousreply 278June 3, 2021 7:32 AM

The only plus about living in such a small claustrophobic space, there's no room to become a hoarder!

by Anonymousreply 279June 3, 2021 7:35 AM

[quote]Help me out. That's 6.6 square meters? It looks slightly bigger than that.

Right. Or the equivalent of a room 8 feet x 9 feet.

The girl seems a bit ridiculous and writes like a 12 year old but that's neither a space nor an architectural problem. I don't really mind the idea provided there are serious restrictions to the numbers if such micro-spaces allowed in a city or neighborhood.

I'm inclined to prefer a tiny place that was mine rather than to share with people I didn't know in the outer reached and beyond where you would like to live.

I'm considering a small pied-à-terre, a private hotel room basically, in another city, but more in the range of 25 to 35 square meters (270 to 375 square feet), a world of difference. It could work fine for me because my requirements are a comfortable place to sit and relax, a bed in a separate or semi-separate space, a bathroom, and a very minimal kitchen, again set at least somewhat apart.

I'm far from 21 and far from being content with a futon sofa/bed, a (constantly) wet room for a bathroom, and absolutely everything in my apartment on view all at once, visible from any angle, the place I shit, shower, sleep, have sex, eat, relax, work, store food, store clothes, cook, watch TV all within an arm's reach without having to so much as lean in one direction.

The only way it could possibly work for me is as an economical occasional place to park a suitcase and sleep and shower and relax a bit. No cooking, no double-digit as a storage area for my sex kitten Instagram outfits (I'd adopt a monkish uniform for when visiting the place because there isn't room enough to make a lot of decisions.

But if she's happy why would I care? And if her parents are paying for it, so what? Far worse things happen with regularity.

Living in a smallish walk-in closet doesn't seem a program for the next 55 years of anyone's life, or for raising a family, or for do much as a couple, but there are people and times of life where I can see 72 square feet as a temporary solution, even an almost good one.

by Anonymousreply 280June 3, 2021 8:32 AM

Restricting your living space helps if you’re acquisitive. Furniture has to fit and should provide at least two functions - If you must have your big wingback, it’s pretty much it for seating besides your bed. You go Amish with dining chairs - hanging spares from hooks on the wall.

Wall art becomes self-punishment; you always find something you can nearly afford, but there’s little space to hang it. You can store some under the bed, but it’s terrible on the canvas. You can prop it up on the floor, but it gathers dust.

You never waste space on a television - after two break-ins, you make them steal your toaster oven and coffee maker. You store your laptop and tablet inside an arty pillow. You use a different arty pillow for watches and any jewelry you earned sucking dick. You usually don’t have that many outlets, so your extension cords are heavy duty multi-outlet affairs with a breaker.

by Anonymousreply 281June 3, 2021 9:06 AM

[Quote]However, if her parents are helping her with rent, why couldn't she add to it with money from her employment for a better place for her and her cat?

Because, quirky!

by Anonymousreply 282June 3, 2021 9:27 AM

Each time one of these threads pops up on DL the moans from many on DL are predicable. This despite fact many native New Yorkers keep telling you people there are plenty of these small apartments all over city, and people are glad to have them if they can find.

Again as we've said many of these units are apartments carved out of brownstones or townhouses when they were converted from single family homes. This or are old law tenements, former SRO and other accommodations

Unless you're a trust fund kid or otherwise have tons of cash finding affordable housing in city is not easy. There isn't much of it and thus you're likely going to have to decide what is important. If you want to live in Manhattan below say 96th street and or in a certain area and best you can find is a small space.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283June 3, 2021 9:41 AM

Damn, her old bedroom was bigger than this. And she's been here for a month and there's already an article written about it ? Do they write something each time there's a new tenant in that shithole ?

The cat should murder her in her sleep. Not a big loss.

by Anonymousreply 284June 3, 2021 9:57 AM

Is she lesbianka?

by Anonymousreply 285June 3, 2021 10:09 AM

My advice to most of these flyovers, the ones who think nothing of sacrificing comfort and money to live in these sad closet sized hovels, please, go back home, create your little artsy scene there. Become a big fish in a small pond.

Over the years I've worked with these types, they eventually give up on having an exciting Manhattan life. They go back home, marry some local guy who owns a small business, is an electrician/contractor or has a well paying blue collar job, then they move to a McMansion in their state's suburbs and start pumping out babies. NYC is not for the weak.

Lots of these types simply need to get NYC life out of their systems.

by Anonymousreply 286June 3, 2021 10:53 AM

The person who asked if she was trans, was likely looking at one of her IG photos of her cat with her male friend's hand in the background. That wasn't her hand.

by Anonymousreply 287June 3, 2021 10:56 AM

I am equally baffled R262 at the traction this post is getting and posted about it earlier as well and mostly at the amount of anger our Eldergays are expressing about it.

She seems content, and even if she's faking it, she's 21 and is likely only going to live there for a year or two.

Most of the posts seem to be coming from Eldergays who live in NYC who moved to the city from Flyoverstan in the 60s or 70s and seem angered in general that young people are moving into their buildings in the West Village (e.g., gays who were in NYC before Chelsea became the gay mecca, let alone HK)

And for some reason the presence of this young girl whose parents may be paying some of her rent triggers the fuck out of them. We're up to almost 300 posts.

I suspect it all has to do with lost youth and having to make it on their own and misogyny (lots of SATC comments)

by Anonymousreply 288June 3, 2021 11:06 AM

[quote] most native New Yorkers [bold]OVER THE AGE OF 70[/bold] were intelligent to purchase low, they bought lofts, brownstones and co-ops, pre-gentrification.

Fixed.

I am mid-30s and a native NYer. The city was already gentrified by the time we came of age. Yes I bought something but not for anything close to as cheap as my parents did in the mid-80s and certainly not what you paid in the mid-70s.

by Anonymousreply 289June 3, 2021 11:09 AM

For context it's like someone in 1921 talking about how they bought land on the Upper West Side back in 1877 when it was still farmland and how wise they were to see that the city would expand uptown, why didn't you flappers see that!

by Anonymousreply 290June 3, 2021 11:11 AM

I lived like that at 26 in Toronto for a year in a basement apartment in a charming Victorian. It was super cutely done up and honestly, looking back, I was happier and more alive then than ever in my life. I had finally overcome my partner's death, met a handsome Irish med student, was always at work....used the apartment to sleep, eat and fuck. The landlady was an awesome Portuguese lady who was intro travel and dining and we frequently hung out. I think I had exactly one single day in 12 months that I didn't go somewhere fun or leave that apartment. I am in a penthouse now and have far more money but am not that vibrant or thirsty for life anymore.

by Anonymousreply 291June 3, 2021 11:14 AM

[quote] Over the years I've worked with these types, they eventually give up on having an exciting Manhattan life. They go back home, marry some local guy who owns a small business, is an electrician/contractor or has a well paying blue collar job, then they move to a McMansion in their state's suburbs and start pumping out babies.

TRANSLATION: I know exactly one woman who did this.

by Anonymousreply 292June 3, 2021 11:17 AM

[quote]My advice to most of these flyovers, the ones who think nothing of sacrificing comfort and money to live in these sad closet sized hovels, please, go back home, create your little artsy scene there. Become a big fish in a small pond.

[quote]Over the years I've worked with these types, they eventually give up on having an exciting Manhattan life. They go back home, marry some local guy who owns a small business, is an electrician/contractor or has a well paying blue collar job, then they move to a McMansion in their state's suburbs and start pumping out babies. NYC is not for the weak.

[quote]Lots of these types simply need to get NYC life out of their systems.

If New York is so strong and certain to spit out the weak amateurs who don't have what it it takes to live in the city, then R286 you should have nothing to worry about from the rather silly 21-year-old girl.

Does her micro-apartment affect him? Does the sadness of her little patch put him in a funk? Would he be less sad if she had used family money to buy a $2.9M loft space in Williamsburg? In his very, very important job I'm sure, how many 21-year-old girls with their IG account their only portfolio does he have to have to supervise and waste his time on? What is his fucking grudge except that he wants to see people fail or stumble hard so that his little corner of the city feels more secure, more hard won, more deserved? It sounds like he just likes human fodder for inventing stories about flyovers gone back to blue collar roots so that he will feel better about what little he has.

Sometimes the self-made (in whatever for that takes) and so self-congratulatory and territorial about it that they make the idle rich who fell backwards into money seem comparatively refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 293June 3, 2021 11:39 AM

Of course that closet costs too damn much, but she is basically living in a small dorm room. At her age, it’s doable. It’s the kind of thing young people can do and the rest of find appalling.

Her cat is cute.

by Anonymousreply 294June 3, 2021 11:41 AM

Someone bitching about Eldergays, they would flock to it. The older I get the less I want and need. I'm from NY but left and if I ever went back I would love this place.

by Anonymousreply 295June 3, 2021 11:52 AM

Having anyone over and the shower is the downfall. Otherwise it's quite doable and no one needs so much stuff in there lives. Plus since everyone lives on-line, living in the real world has taken a back seat. All you need is your face and a screen.

by Anonymousreply 296June 3, 2021 11:56 AM

Yeah, I get you R295. I am 43 and at 21 I was so enthusiastic about my partner's gardens, furnishings, etc. Now I hardly care about the penthouse I am in and seriously looking at a low-maintenance place in LA. By now I have lived all over the world and in enough places to know I need a small apartment in a city with events and no special frills and I don't have the patience anymore for gardening, lawns, etc. Just to read, go to events, watch something, dine, travel and sleep in a cozy and easy to maintain place.

by Anonymousreply 297June 3, 2021 11:57 AM

Big spaces are fine - but personally, I find a 500-750 square foot 1BR apartment an ideal life for the very young and the very old. Dorm rooms and nursing homes have less space. At those stages in life, simplicity is desired. In between, escape to the suburban house with 4BRs. But small spaces really are preferable for many of us. Not 72 sq ft - but ver happy with a small NYC apartment. Walk everywhere, deliver everything, lots of free things to do and see, great medical care. The last place I want to be at 25 or 75 is a big house in the suburbs isolated from everything except via car.

by Anonymousreply 298June 3, 2021 2:38 PM

It's about the size of my sophomore year single dorm room. But, I didn't have my own bathroom - which was actually better because (1) there was more room for other stuff, (2) luckily I didn't have neighbors who made sharing a bathroom difficult, and (3) the entire dorm was singles with a bathroom for every four rooms, so while you had your "home" bathroom, you could basically use any bathroom if needed - so you never really had to wait.

by Anonymousreply 299June 3, 2021 2:40 PM

Why has this article amounted to 300 replies? Pearl clutching much, my dears?

by Anonymousreply 300June 3, 2021 3:01 PM

R262 [quote]a bit bigger

As I've said upthread, the minimum micro-apartment size in Seattle is 220 sqft, which is more than 3 times the size of her apartment. To make matters worse, to film in such a small place, the photographer had to have used a wide angle lens to capture the entire thing. It looks bigger in photos than it does in real life. The average man probably wouldn't be able to do jumping jacks in that closet.

by Anonymousreply 301June 3, 2021 3:42 PM

R288 Don’t you get tired of posting the same tired Eldergay comments?

by Anonymousreply 302June 3, 2021 3:43 PM

r302 that's YourMillennialFriend. A smug asshole who's had a silver spoon in his mouth his whole life and has never really had to work for anything, but he's the Expert On All Things New York. He grew up rich on the UWS and has never had to struggle a day in his life. He never would've done anything if it weren't for his family money and connections.

by Anonymousreply 303June 3, 2021 3:48 PM

It's just YourMillennialFuckwit doing what he does.

A spoiled rich boy commenting on a 21 year old girl from Tennesee slumming it like that is like DL's incels and celibates commenting on sex and sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 304June 3, 2021 3:48 PM

So now if you comment that she's trying WAY too hard to make fetch happen and seem like this shithole shoebox is somehow a delight to live in, you're some sort of catty eldergay living in a McMansion in Flyoverstan??? She is getting ripped off royally and she looks like a stupid fool for writing this sad article. She deserves every bit of our condemnation.

by Anonymousreply 305June 3, 2021 3:53 PM

The narrative on anyone who doesn't shower this chick with praise seems to be split between "old auntie living in a McMansion somewhere in Flyoverstan or a boring suburb (or both)" and "misogynistic eldergay who has lived in New York for far too long and needs to get the fuck out of the way". Two very different things.

by Anonymousreply 306June 3, 2021 3:59 PM

Yeah, I figured it was YMF; his projection is so predictable.

by Anonymousreply 307June 3, 2021 4:03 PM

She should just move into an elevator and experience life on the constant move. Might be more roomy.

by Anonymousreply 308June 3, 2021 4:04 PM

I’m all for a cosy small apartment but if you read the article, it doesn’t sound cosy at all, it sounds like one inconvenience after another. Cosy to me is having everything I need in one space, she’s making a lot of sacrifices (noise from the streets, proper kitchen, proper bathroom that isn’t constantly wet, a washing machine…). Had her apartment had all these things sorted than I would agree that she had it good. But this does not get my envy, it’s more likely to evoke my sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 309June 3, 2021 4:09 PM

There hasn't been a "scene" in the WV for a long time now. It's all hedge fund types.

by Anonymousreply 310June 3, 2021 4:17 PM

YMF is hardly a spring chicken himself. He's not too far away from middle age.

by Anonymousreply 311June 3, 2021 4:19 PM

Jesus…old fucks can you not be triggered by Your Millennial Friend? Put him on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 312June 3, 2021 4:28 PM

I never bought his whole UES rich kid schtick - everyone knows, if you have to say it, you ain’t it.

by Anonymousreply 313June 3, 2021 4:29 PM

I thought "TRIGGERED" was only used by The Olds, not The Youngs?

Read that on Datalounge recently.

by Anonymousreply 314June 3, 2021 4:34 PM

UWS r313. He's Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 315June 3, 2021 4:49 PM

Uh... could I see you in the kitchen for a second?

We have a little problem.

by Anonymousreply 316June 3, 2021 4:52 PM

The majority of people would probably not be able to or want to live like this or ever did. If this was a typical living arrangement we wouldn't have a thread about it so why refer to those who wouldn't as types, Aunties, old biddies, pearl clutchers, Flyoverstans?

by Anonymousreply 317June 3, 2021 4:57 PM

Small is one thing. This is a closet where she describes having to climb like a spider monkey to do basic things.

by Anonymousreply 318June 3, 2021 5:02 PM

The nastiness on this thread stems from this - 1. She has a vagina 2. She is young in a city full of horny straight men

by Anonymousreply 319June 3, 2021 5:49 PM

If landlords want to rent out spaces that are less than 100 sq. ft. then they need to invest in furnitures that allow storage and function.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320June 3, 2021 6:05 PM

I'm sorry but that's not an apartment or a "studio", it's a small room with half bathroom

by Anonymousreply 321June 3, 2021 6:13 PM

R321 and a steal at $1,345 a month!

by Anonymousreply 322June 3, 2021 6:36 PM

I pay $100 less than that per month for my mortgage, and I live in SF Castro in a 2000 square foot Victorian.

by Anonymousreply 323June 3, 2021 7:04 PM

R323 when did you buy it?

by Anonymousreply 324June 3, 2021 7:13 PM

R324, we bought in 2017. Negotiated the price way down due to old permit violations, and tracking the low demand on the market for houses like this, a bit of fixer upper, which we fixed up. Big down payment, proactively massive balloon payments for first few years on a 30, refinanced this year, and got it down to a 15 year. My partner and I each pay that as our share of mortgage. We ain't rich, but we invested wisely and try to move ahead of the market as much as possible.

My point is that if I can have this much for this little, that tells you a bit about the market in an equally desirable neighborhood, and what is possible. I'm not saying that a 21 year old needs to keep up with my lifetime of good credit, negotiation skills, and saving money. I'm only pointing out that she is getting ripped off. That 72 s.f. apartment should be less than $1K per month rent, even under current market conditions and the desirability of the hood. Of course, the market pays what it pays, so her paying this is actually helping justify such extortion, but that's another topic.

by Anonymousreply 325June 3, 2021 7:43 PM

I have no feelings one way or the other about her, but she is getting ripped off to live in a charmless closet. Yes, it's her choice and her folks are paying for it and she grew up in a large, lovely home so this feels like a lark. I wish Manhattan had affordable housing.

by Anonymousreply 326June 3, 2021 8:21 PM

Each and every one of you coming down hard on her would gladly move into a 22 sq. ft. apartment if you could be 21 again (or look 21 or feel 21).

by Anonymousreply 327June 3, 2021 9:49 PM

R319 The nastiness on this thread is not directed at her but at those who have a differing POV.

by Anonymousreply 328June 3, 2021 10:21 PM

[quote]The nastiness on this thread stems from this - 1. She has a vagina 2. She is young in a city full of horny straight men

There are people who think she got a deal and people who think she got screwed over.

There are people who are okay with her living her SATC dream since she's young and people who think she should have just found a place out of the way in the same city with a bigger room because they think that's more feasible.

Of course there are some misogynists here but those saying, I think her parents are paying her rent anyway aren't that much of a problem and I've seen much worse here.

Most of the nastiness, as R328 said, stems from people attacking each other for not agreeing with their perspective and not necessarily at her.

People are putting themselves in her feet and thinking of how they'd handle it.

When I was 21 I spent most of my time in NYC going to Jake's Dilemma, playing beer pong at Time Out or doing all you can drink wine and Chinese at Silk Road Palace. I was rarely at home but I still wouldn't have rented that apartment she's in even though I badly wanted to be Felicity. Looking back, I had a great place, with the same rent she's paying now even though it took me a couple of different trains to get to my friends although it might have been fun to live by myself there. I ended up hating my roommates by the end of my first year.

by Anonymousreply 329June 3, 2021 10:45 PM

She could get more bang for her buck if she moved to queens but if she did that her friends would disown her and she would probably lose her job.

by Anonymousreply 330June 3, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote]So now if you comment that she's trying WAY too hard to make fetch happen and seem like this shithole shoebox is somehow a delight to live in, you're some sort of catty eldergay living in a McMansion in Flyoverstan??? She is getting ripped off royally and she looks like a stupid fool for writing this sad article. She deserves every bit of our condemnation.

Thanks for being a voice of reason. Lots of flyovers in this thread, likely posing as 'disgruntle NYC eldergays' or just plain trolls looking to argue.

As far as deals, in the mid-1990s, I paid less than $80,000 for my fairly large co-op in what now is very desirable gentrified NYC neighborhood. No, I'm not in my 70s.

My friends who bought lofts downtown NYC, were only in their 20s when they purchased, they didn't get any help from their parents. One friend rents her loft space to a wealthy person, she bought a cheap house upstate NY. You simply need to be real estate savvy. Unless you have an incredibly cheap NYC rent, renting in NYC, especially Manhattan, is a losers game. I have a friend whose Kips Bay rent is $350 a month! Again, he's not in his 70s. He's actually 52.

When renting or buying, people simply need to know what to look for and figure if they are being ripped-off.

Even if this young woman's parents are helping her out, she cannot actually enjoy living in that closet. The daily ritual she goes through to simply get through making her breakfast are rather sad.

No one needs 1000+ square feet, but a one bedroom, a proper functional kitchen, a living room where you can have occasional guests and a bathroom with a decent size sink, a shower/tub and toilet bowl is simply a NORMAL way to live, especially when the rent on this young women's place is not considered anywhere near a bargain!

by Anonymousreply 331June 3, 2021 11:48 PM

[quote]She could get more bang for her buck if she moved to queens but if she did that her friends would disown her and she would probably lose her job.

Of course, that's not true. I guess if they are poseurs, who know nothing about real NYC living, get their fantastical ideas about NYC from TV shows and who live their lives via IG posts/likes, they sure might disown her.

What job? She doesn't appear to have one.

On a serious note, Queens has the amazing PS1 MOMA, LIC has a vibrate art and entertainment scene, which has been going for the past 25+ years. Hopefully LIC will not turn into Williamsburg, with all those annoying trust fund flyover assholes pushing the original residents out of their neighborhood.

Years ago, the comedians Marc Maron and Margaret Smith lived in Long Island City. Lots of creative people are now lving in various parts of Queens: LIC, Astoria and Ridgewood.

by Anonymousreply 332June 4, 2021 12:09 AM

Will all you old queens stop going on about how you bought back in 1980's for very little money, and or about yourselves or friends who nabbed a rental for < $600 per month. That was then, and this is *NOW*

Ain't no one gong to find a rental (especially rent regulated) for that kind of money today unless they either land one of those lottery low income "affordable" apartments. That or personally know landlord or something.

Youngest of tenants in those dirt cheap Manhattan rentals are in their 50's which means they lucked out decades ago. Oldest are between 70 and death, and won't leave their dirt cheap digs until feet first in a box. When those cheap units do become vacant nowadays landlords are warehousing them instead of renting.

Since NYS changed rent regulation laws and LLs can no longer jack up rents on formerly dirt cheap apartments by renovating, they just aren't but aren't renting them to public either. Things like that ancient unit on Sixth Avenue just don't happen anymore.

Like yourselves know more than a handful who bought back in 1980's or maybe after 9/11/01 (which was last time prices really tanked in city), or they managed to nab a rent regulated unit on cheap in same time periods. But again that was a long time ago and rarely if ever happens today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333June 4, 2021 12:23 AM

Nope r327.

by Anonymousreply 334June 4, 2021 12:24 AM

[quote]World class city like Tokyo for 60,000 yen or $550 US dollars a month, you can rent a 145 sq. ft. place that comes with a patio. Also included are amenities like work space, cafe, social kitchen/ gathering space, free wifi, huge lounge/ tv room. Looks modern, clean, and well-designed, unlike the makeshift 72 sq. ft. closet.

And they also toss in the nuclear radiation.

by Anonymousreply 335June 4, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote]As far as deals, in the mid-1990s, I paid less than $80,000 for my fairly large co-op in what now is very desirable gentrified NYC neighborhood. No, I'm not in my 70s.

Sweetheart, the 1990s were three decades ago. You won't find a fucking broom closet to buy for $80,000 in NYC in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 336June 4, 2021 12:28 AM

Then you have (or had since assuming some of these tenants died) things like this, but again they've lived in those units since god made dirt and spit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337June 4, 2021 12:30 AM

There was a huge wave of co-op conversions in 1980's and good part of 1990's as LLs sought to get apartments out of rent stabilization control. Thus many who bought did so at very good insider prices. Nowadays when a building goes condo or co-op the deals aren't nearly so wonderful.

In any event many of these older folks who got in then love to keep going on about how it's "not that difficult" to buy something in NYC on cheap. Leaving aside fact they themselves largely only were able to 20, 30 or more years ago thanks to unique set of circumstances that likely never will be repeated.

Prime among them was fact these tenants were rent regulated and thus under a non eviction plan (which nearly all co-op or condo conversions are in city), they couldn't be touched. If they didn't buy nothing really changed. They'd remain in their cheap below market rental until death or chose freely to move house.

Many of these same people including some insufferable Marys have second/weekend homes in "the country" largely made possible because they pay well below market rent for their controlled or stabilized unit. This or as those in this thread have stated they bought years ago at very good price which freed up money to be used elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 338June 4, 2021 12:38 AM

It all comes down to New York's rent regulation laws that have caused severe harm to multi-family housing, and done so for decades.

In a perfect world rent regulation would have vanished after the "emergency" of WWII was over. But then tons of the same pearl clutching old Marys happily ensconced in below market rate apartments all over Manhattan from Tribeca to UWS or UES and beyond would have to give up their cheap digs. Then you'd hear a different story.

by Anonymousreply 339June 4, 2021 12:50 AM

She wanted to live in the center of the action and yet COVID shut down the city for a year. I hope she learned that the “action” can be snatched away in an instant.

What are young people doing these days for fun now that the Limelight is a high priced shopping mall and CBGBs bit the dust?

by Anonymousreply 340June 4, 2021 1:32 AM

Shopping and selfies, R340.

by Anonymousreply 341June 4, 2021 2:02 AM

I get the feeling she's not desperate at all, doesn't really care that the place is that small, and doesn't really feel she needs to live in Manhattan or alone. If the micro size stresses her out she'll break the lease and move. She wanted to try something quirky and, more importantly, wanted to make it known she's trying something quirky. It's just regular social media likes, looks, clout BS. I wouldn't get too into whether she's getting a deal or getting screwed or the broader implications of Flyoverstan v. NYC or eldergays v. millennial gays. It's just all for attention, which a lot of the population is addicted to. She got it - she's even got DL engaging in a lot of ridiculous debate and name calling.

by Anonymousreply 342June 4, 2021 2:35 AM

Don't see why some of you just don't get it. Has it ever occurred to some of you that people living in these small apartments have learned not to want what they haven't got.....

Yes, they *could* move to Queens, Brooklyn or wherever, that has been standard advice for ages, but none of those places are Manhattan now are they?

For some people living in Manhattan is the only thing that will do. With so many more transportation options now open such as Citibikes, scooters, strong pro-biking support from city hall, you can get nearly anywhere in Manhattan besides just taking public transportation.

Finally unlike lifers of old who move into shoe box apartments and remain until death, many of these young people tend to move on in several years or less. Like young girl in OP they often buy something which even if only slightly larger than former rental, at least they now *OWN* instead of rent.

by Anonymousreply 343June 4, 2021 5:03 AM

Lots of them can't afford to buy.

by Anonymousreply 344June 4, 2021 5:08 AM

R344

No, they can't themselves but as with girl in OP their parents, grandparents or other family often (and can) help out.

No small number of young transplants in our office (both gay and straight) bought or are buying condos with that sort of assistance.

Transplants and more importantly their families see what many others have for years, if you're going to remain in city renting is a waste of money. Unless you find some well below market rent regulated unit, you're just throwing money away each month paying someone else's mortgage.

Common thing is simply moving a young person's inheritance forward. That is giving them the moolah now instead of waiting for parents and or grandparents to kick the bucket.

by Anonymousreply 345June 4, 2021 5:17 AM

r345 I know this is probably news to you, but most people do not have parents who can afford that. And there is really no "moving the inheritance forward" because there's not much to inherit anyway.

by Anonymousreply 346June 4, 2021 5:21 AM

R346

It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different.

by Anonymousreply 347June 4, 2021 5:47 AM

r347 not really. I've lived in Manhattan (off and on) for many years and yes I move in certain circles. However, I realize that there are many other people who do not have family money to help them.

by Anonymousreply 348June 4, 2021 6:00 AM

I'm laughing at the bitter old queens who are obviously angry and jealous at the middle aged queens who bought great spaces at low prices in the 1980s and 1990s and are now living in huge apartments in great neighborhoods. The elderly queens keep going on about the middle aged buyers posting about their great deals.

This thread has devolved from commenting on this young flyover woman's poor choices to a bunch of queens arguing with each other. I ❤️❤️ it!

DL seems to be getting back to it's original pointless bitchery roots! B

by Anonymousreply 349June 4, 2021 6:18 AM

r349 the gist of the conversation seems to be that the older queens think that people today can still get the great deals that they got decades ago. Shows you how unbelievably out of touch they are. Also, that everybody has parents who can just write a check to get their kids a Manhattan apartment.

by Anonymousreply 350June 4, 2021 6:26 AM

I want an apartment with a ceiling retractable bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351June 4, 2021 6:43 AM

I think younger people imagine old people to be angry and bitter when the truth is that self-knowledge sets you free of all that stuff.

Why is it that Marie Kondo enthusiasts never move into these spaces? It's just disappointing that it's so poorly decorated. (I know, it's not an investment. )

by Anonymousreply 352June 4, 2021 7:50 AM

Serious question - would famously voluptuous DL fave Chrissy Metz be able to get in and out of that apartment? Could she have Tess Holliday over for tea and scones comfortably?

by Anonymousreply 353June 4, 2021 9:32 AM

[quote] I think younger people imagine old people to be angry and bitter when the truth is that self-knowledge sets you free of all that stuff.

Unfortunately, many people gain years but no self-knowledge. Not all old people are angry and bitter, but many of them are.

by Anonymousreply 354June 4, 2021 12:03 PM

I'm 22 and live in a 73-square-foot NYC apartment that costs $1,346 a month.

So there.

by Anonymousreply 355June 4, 2021 12:09 PM

We need a slum lord report hotline. Shut these Landlord down. We need space requirements. Hello, did COVID teach you anything?

by Anonymousreply 356June 4, 2021 3:21 PM

What was the point of this article? That anyone can make it in Manhattan if they really want it bad enough?

by Anonymousreply 357June 4, 2021 3:51 PM

How can anyone live in an apartment with no kitchen? No proper bathroom (or no bathroom at all)? Barely enough space to move around in? And pay over !000 for it? It's such a total rip off. I think landlords must be splitting their sides laughing at people who do this, all the while raking in money for providing what they know is unfit housing but always finding some sap willing to pay money for it.

by Anonymousreply 358June 4, 2021 8:40 PM

I think it's a luxury to be able to sit on the toilet and microwave your dinner at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 359June 4, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote]How can anyone live in an apartment with no kitchen? No proper bathroom (or no bathroom at all)? Barely enough space to move around in? And pay over 1000 for it? It's such a total rip off. I think landlords must be splitting their sides laughing at people who do this, all the while raking in money for providing what they know is unfit housing but always finding some sap willing to pay money for it.

That's the main point so many of the argumentative queens in this thread don't seem to comprehend, no kitchen, a bathroom which is essential a shower stall and no actual bedroom? How is living like this acceptable? Especially for a person who grew up in large house?

A friend lived in an 800 square foot studio on Mulberry, the post-war building still exists. The building consisted of studios and one and two bedroom apartments. The apartments weren't cut up, the spaces were the original layouts.

My friend also had a sleeping alcove, which was large enough to put a double bed, a dresser and a night table, the alcove area would have been considered a small bedroom. Even though the apartment was called a studio, it was technically a one bedroom with a fairly large open plan living room/dining area and a kitchen area with a counter. He also had a full bathroom with a tub and shower. This studio was an actual apartment.

This woman is royally being RIPPED OFF. That's not an apartment, that's a jail cell and she gets to pay over $1000 a month for that rat trap.

by Anonymousreply 360June 4, 2021 8:55 PM

Is she being ripped off or is she just a fucking idiot who putting "the right address" over having a decent space? She toured the apt, she signed the lease. Even at 20 years old, I would've take one look at this shithole and said FUCK that.

by Anonymousreply 361June 4, 2021 9:26 PM

R360

Another angry bitter queen whose arguments make totally no sense.

Key word in your post is "post war" apartment, which is vastly different than one in a townhouse, mansion, residential hotel or whatever built in 1800's or early 1900s, and subsequently chopped up into apartments.

There are scores of buildings that went up post WWII, many in 1960's and 1970's that fit what you describe. Buildings make up with nearly all studios and one bedrooms with more modern layouts.

More to the point zoning laws changed at least twice since early 1900's and 1990's meaning what was allowed (and now grandfathered) prior isn't now.

These tiny apartments largely only exist in old-law tenements or other buildings that are nearly or over 100 years old. Then mayor Bloomberg had to do a work around to propose bringing micro apartments back to NYC. Otherwise they are and would still be illegal for new construction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362June 4, 2021 10:58 PM

This is how those new micro apartments roll....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363June 4, 2021 10:59 PM

More...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364June 4, 2021 11:01 PM

New York City isn't the only place with tiny apartments either. Fancy living in six square meters in London?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365June 4, 2021 11:02 PM

My point is all you old queens frothing at the mouth about how "*I* would never live in *that* apartment...". Well no one fucking asked you to now did they?

by Anonymousreply 366June 4, 2021 11:04 PM

Paris, France tiny apartment at 129 square feet....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367June 4, 2021 11:08 PM

Another micro unit in Paris, France. This one at 25 square meters.

So obviously not only doesn't NYC have a lock on "tiny" apartments, but there is a demand world over since people are renting (or buying) these units.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368June 4, 2021 11:12 PM

Exactly R366

"How could you live in an apartment with no kitchen?"

Well if a few months ago you were living in a dorm room with a roommate, a bathroom down the hall and no place to eat other than the campus dining hall, it probably doesn't bother you.

Especially if you know you can be out of there whenever you want and have no plans to stay beyond a year or two.

I mean for all we know she's got a boyfriend with a much bigger apartment and spends almost all her time there.

Regardless, the insistence that she MUST be miserable living in that space is baffling.

As is the person who keeps insisting that everyone should just buy an apartment in Manhattan at age 25. (I suspect they are just trolling this thread though. No one could be that clueless.)

by Anonymousreply 369June 4, 2021 11:13 PM

Going by huge amount of pizza boxes and other take away containers thrown out on recycling day in my area of NYC people still largely order in or otherwise have take away. Thus having a kitchen isn't the huge deal some people seem to believe.

All most really need is a fridge, microwave or whatever, and something to heat up or cook the occasional food.

In fact with explosion of food delivery up to and including Door Dash people many NY'ers have fewer reasons to cook, and certainly less need of a fully functional kitchen they rarely use.

For hundreds of years those living in cities did this (order in), that or took advantage of various restaurants, cafes or other places to either eat on site or buy whatever and take it home.

Many young people who live in major cities use their apartments or whatever merely as home base. They are rarely there aside from sleeping, bathing and the occasional just staying at home vegging out. Otherwise they're out and about for work or pleasure. By time they finally are in for the night they've already eaten and only shower, watch a bit of television or whatever, then go to bed. Oh and there's sex as well.

In short these people have lives, their not homebodies with butts parked on sofas or chairs at home..

by Anonymousreply 370June 4, 2021 11:26 PM

R362, I doubt that this girl's apartment can be described as a pre-war or post-war anything.

This is 72 square feet, essentially a makeshift space which was probably once used for a janitor office, being sold as an apartment.

by Anonymousreply 371June 4, 2021 11:32 PM

It's great for entertaining! I heat up a tv dinner and a can of stew on my hot plate! But no more than 2 people are allowed in at a time and they absolutely love sitting on the floor!

by Anonymousreply 372June 4, 2021 11:41 PM

Well, I'm 72 and I live in a 21-square foot NYC apartment.

Smell me.

by Anonymousreply 373June 4, 2021 11:49 PM

An apartment like that should be illegal. I can't believe some of you are defending that space.

by Anonymousreply 374June 4, 2021 11:50 PM

21 year olds in NYC don't entertain at home. You go to restaurants in large groups.

by Anonymousreply 375June 4, 2021 11:56 PM

This is a problem. When I was apartment searching, I was told x apartment in a crap neighborhood was worth $$$ because people paid so much more money for much less. What is a crap neighborhood? A neighborhood with only a Bodega and laundromat in it, offering a long commute and street violence off the charts. This girl has already said she has to sleep with the ac on and earplugs in her ears, its fucking noisy at the street level.

by Anonymousreply 376June 4, 2021 11:57 PM

When I was 21 I lived in a crawl space of a house which was situated above a washer and dryer. The roof was slanted so I couldn’t stand up—only sit and prone positions. I had one poster above my mattress and a box as a side table. To use the bathroom I had to climb down a ladder.

I was working six days a week for $6.00 an hour at a little interior design store owned by two rich matrons who golfed and dined out everyday. I was so broke I lived on peanut butter, English muffins and Ramen. But, hey, I was living in Sun Valley Idaho!

by Anonymousreply 377June 5, 2021 12:05 AM

R376

If you're not used to it the noise levels from Manhattan (or even certain parts of Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx) takes some getting used to, if you ever do.

People have been wearing night shades (blindfolds) to bed in NYC and using ear plugs for ages (think Holly Golightly). Many just keep their windows closed and run AC on fan to drown out noise. That or have other devices that play music or make "white noise"...

NYT did a piece several weeks ago about a young Frenchman from Paris, France transferred to NYC by his company. His apartment search was sort of hampered due to covid, but he finally found something that met his requirements. His main issue however was the noise largely caused by his neighbor's air conditioners running at night. He pointed out that in France many don't use AC but fans instead.

by Anonymousreply 378June 5, 2021 12:14 AM

Post or pre war has nothing to do with actual buildings per se other than fact certain things are associated with one or the other.

Terms largely are what they are, merely indicate when a building went up, nothing more.

As for those moaning why these apartments (and buildings they are in) are still around, again you people just don't have a clue (as in don't live in NYC).

New York City has some of the oldest housing stock in country. This is largely because rent regulation laws make it difficult and expensive to remove protected tenants. You want a rent regulated tenant out? Well it's going to cost you, and in some cases plenty. A few older men held up tearing down of Mayflower Hotel (which became 15 CPW), and got millions for their efforts. One of them was the son of general MacArthur.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379June 5, 2021 12:31 AM

Not all things go down this way, but it shows how much power rent regulated tenants have....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380June 5, 2021 12:33 AM

And there's more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381June 5, 2021 12:35 AM

Gary Schwedock, 58, and Steven Kobrick, 36, got $25 million between them to vacate apartments that weren't even rent regulated IIRC.

So you can see why those old buildings with various "tiny" or whatever apartments are still standing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382June 5, 2021 12:38 AM

I saw no pics of the cat??

by Anonymousreply 383June 5, 2021 12:47 AM

Some of her handbags, if authentic and purchased new, could pay a month's rent plus more. I guess she's young and into designer stuff. She'll learn, hopefully.

by Anonymousreply 384June 5, 2021 12:57 AM

Maybe the handbags are dupes or gifts? The room is a crashpad for a few months while she parties. Not a microstudio, crappy over-priced room without a kitchen and a wet bathroom!

by Anonymousreply 385June 5, 2021 1:07 AM

"In short these people have lives, their not homebodies with butts parked on sofas or chairs at home."

Oh shut up, you ass. Having to be out all the time so you don't have to spend time in the shithole you're spending an exorbitant price for doesn't like like much of an enviable "life."

by Anonymousreply 386June 5, 2021 1:25 AM

There are many places you can score designer handbags second hand for decent to very little money (comparatively) in New York City. Assuming they are the real McCoy and not knockoffs. For the latter just head down to Canal Street or surrounding area and look for those men selling stuff from blankets on ground. Certain shops in Chinatown still sell knockoffs, but federal and local LE have been cracking down.

Rebag is one of the more popular places to get used designer handbags.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387June 5, 2021 1:26 AM

Cat. She's only been in NYC a month. Daddy bought the bags awhile ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388June 5, 2021 1:37 AM

cute cat , she has a spot for him in an alcove near the ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 389June 5, 2021 1:44 AM

Howuch does she make per month? No more that a third of her monthly take-home paycheck should be going to living expenses.

by Anonymousreply 390June 5, 2021 1:49 AM

How long until the cat stench makes her give it away? No room for ventilation

by Anonymousreply 391June 5, 2021 1:51 AM

Wait and see, soon people will be renting actual broom closets and hanging upside down to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 392June 5, 2021 1:59 AM

cats do not stink, the litter box better not stink or the cat will not use it.

by Anonymousreply 393June 5, 2021 2:05 AM

I foresee a life of depression or obesity for that poor cat, having to toil in that shoebox. Maybe he can run away to freedom when she opens the door someday.

by Anonymousreply 394June 5, 2021 2:08 AM

Only time a home gets a "cat pee" smell is if owner is a slovenly housekeeper and doesn't keep litter box clean.

Cats are very clean animals, and once trained properly will use litter box exclusively, but only if the thing is maintained.

Indeed when a cat stops or otherwise refuses to use litter box it usually means a trip to vet is required as it can point to illness or something. Often if a cat is ill and having problems urinating it may seek comfort by trying other places instead of litter box.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395June 5, 2021 2:24 AM

Why are y'all making up stories about that cat? the living condition this girl is paying a small fortune for is grim as it is.

by Anonymousreply 396June 5, 2021 2:28 AM

R392 That would be a small price to pay to live around the block from Sarah Jessica Parker's colossal 10,000 sft mansion.

by Anonymousreply 397June 5, 2021 2:39 AM

I just took a cursory glance at her insta and got the sense that she's a wannabe theater actress who is open to sucking dick for the right part/amount of money

by Anonymousreply 398June 5, 2021 6:01 AM

[quote]Even if this young woman's parents are helping her out, she cannot actually enjoy living in that closet. The daily ritual she goes through to simply get through making her breakfast are rather sad.

Either you're cut out for it or you're not. apparently with you're delicate sensibilities, you're not.

by Anonymousreply 399June 5, 2021 11:19 AM

She's 21. I'm sure it all looks like a grand adventure right now. She'll get tired of living in a shoebox in a couple of years and move. The place will then be rented by another wide-eyed kid from the sticks who will go through the same process. And so it goes.

by Anonymousreply 400June 5, 2021 4:57 PM

[quote]Another angry bitter queen whose arguments make totally no sense. Key word in your post is "post war" apartment, which is vastly different than one in a townhouse, mansion, residential hotel or whatever built in 1800's or early 1900s, and subsequently chopped up into apartments.

Of course larger rental apartments still exist, not all owners are cutting up their pre-war and post war buildings. However, many did cut up formerly huge rental apartments, its obvious from this young woman's disgusting 'apartment' they are still doing so.

Who the hell mentioned a stand alone "townhouse, mansion, residential hotel or whatever built in 1800's or early 1900s, and subsequently chopped up into apartments"??? Even if the former owners of a townhouse or brownstone chopped it up, the new buyers usually restore the town house back to it's one family layout.

You don't comprehend that both pre-war ad post-war apartment building have obviously been broken up into these tiny apartments?! It's obvious this young woman's 'apartment' was once a room in larger apartment. She doesn't appear to be lving in new building.

My mom grew up on the LES, in one of those disgusting old buildings near 2nd Avenue, Even those old fashioned railroad flats were more comfortable than the closet this young women is living in. Until my aunts and uncles were young teens, my grandparents raised five children in a six room LES railroad flat. Then they bought a house in Brooklyn.

Your argument doesn't make sense. Especially as many pre-war and post-war apartments were definitely cut up, it doesn't matter 'when' these apartments were cut up, many New Yorkers are extremely aware of this. A friend had rented in a huge three bedroom two bath pre-war in Fort Greene, The apartment was comparable to a pre-war co-op in Manhattan, it was that large. I assume after my friend and husband bought a house in Brooklyn, the landlord then cut up her former apartment.

Stop claiming most people commenting in this thread are not native New Yorkers, most are. Most are extremely aware of the in and outs of NY real estate.

by Anonymousreply 401June 5, 2021 6:02 PM

My mom knew this elderly British women, a widow, who was living in a huge pre-war rental in Queens. Her apartment was a three bedroom with full kitchen, living room, dining room, large entrance hall and two full bathrooms.

In the 1990s, after the British woman and most of the of the elderly tenants were gone, the building owner started warehousing the apartments (IE: kept them empty), then he eventually turned most of the units into large studios with kitchens and one and two bedroom apartments. Of course, the landlord did this so he'd make more money on the rentals. A few years ago, this same building became a co-op.

No one should be paying over a $1000 a month to live in what is essentially a closet. I also don't want to hear repetitious bullshit like, "She's young, she doesn't spend much time at home", if that's the case, for the amount of money she spends on rent why not double and triple up with roommates and get a comfortable place to live? At least, she'd have a living room, a normal kitchen and normal bathroom.

From watching NYC rental videos on YouTube, landlords have now added amenities like a washer/dryer, which has been unheard of in NYC rentals, especially in Manhattan.

Since this young woman doesn't even have a washer/dryer, I can only imagine her extra expenses since she lives in such an abnormal apartment. Think she mentioned dropping off laundry and having it done? I wonder if the building even has a laundry room.

No one needs to go through her absurd morning ritual just to make a fucking cup of coffee!

She'll soon tire of her Manhattan 'dream life' then go back to Tennessee (living the ways she does, can sure put a physical and mental health strain on anyone) or she'll finally wake up, then realize she can move to Brooklyn or Queens and still pursue her showbiz dreams.

by Anonymousreply 402June 5, 2021 6:14 PM

I bet it reeks of her trader Joe farts

by Anonymousreply 403June 5, 2021 7:08 PM

R401

Miss Girl give it a rest. Take your meds and have a lie down with a cold towel on your forehead or something....

It is plainly obvious despite what *YOU* may think or whatever plenty of people are renting these small to (what you call) tiny apartments and are perfectly happy.

by Anonymousreply 404June 6, 2021 12:57 AM

It's amazing what people will put up with to live in Manhattan. I used to have a manager at work (she was in her 40s) and she lived in a large studio with her husband and pre-teen child. When I asked her why she didn't move out to one of the burroughs where she could get more space, she said, "We want to be close to the museums for our son." I told her that children need room to run and play, and she said, "We have Central Park for that." I felt sorry for the kid because his "bedroom" was just a bunk bed behind a sheet on a clothesline. She was making good money as a manager and could afford a better situation, but she didn't because "she" wanted to live in Manhattan.

I also see a lot of people with dogs in apartments that are way too small to have a dog. My building is entirely studios and what they call Jr. one-bedrooms (I think that's what mine is classified as). And at least four people in our building have dogs. I feel so sorry for the dogs because there certainly isn't enough room in the studios and I wouldn't have a dog in my Jr. 1 bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 405June 6, 2021 3:56 AM

R405 I don’t get how much time she’s planning on spending at the museums- she’s going to visit them almost every day!? I love museums but I get my fill after a couple of visits unless there’s an exhibition I must see.

I’d do the commute from the Burroughs every so often for museums and cultural stuff if they’re that vital. I guess the parents just want to continue living in New York City. It may be the only thing keeping them together, sounds like the thought of being elsewhere as a family is a unthinkable to your manager. I guess I would feel this way too If I wasn’t with a partner for the right reasons.

by Anonymousreply 406June 6, 2021 4:45 AM

[quote][R405] I don’t get how much time she’s planning on spending at the museums- she’s going to visit them almost every day!

She just used that as an excuse so that she could remain in Manhattan. From certain things she used to say, I think the husband was very unhappy. The thing was, she grew up in Kansas. She was an only child and when her parents died, she sold their farm in Kansas. Additionally, when we were working together, we were working at one of the investment banks, word processing department (late 80s to late 90s) and the salaries were quite good (Microsoft Word was just coming onto the scene and if you knew it, you got paid quite well) and we got a nice bonus at the end of the year. She never talked much about what job her husband had, but she had plenty of money to find a nice place. But she was one of those that wouldn't even consider Hoboken because "it's not New York".

by Anonymousreply 407June 6, 2021 4:55 AM

[quote]But she was one of those that wouldn't even consider Hoboken because "it's not New York".

I used to live near a few B and C list celebrities in Hoboken. You could get a great place, for less than the cost of living in Manhattan, while being near enough to it that you'd get there faster than you would if you lived in a few of the boroughs.

It's also great for families. There were plenty of tech bros around who had wives and children. There was one Starbucks where you could run into all of their nannies gossiping.

I had a neighbor who was black (another tech guy) and he once said he loved it there because everyone was always so nice to him. He felt comfortable walking up the street and people he didn't know would frequently say hello to him.

Of course, that part is further away from the PATH and the ferry. Up in that direction you do have a lot of college students who are out all times of night.

I could leave my home and jump on the path at 8:30 and be in Manhattan at my job by 9:30 with my breakfast sandwich. I had three bedrooms! It made a lot more sense to me than paying the same amount and living in a box north of 86th. That's all I want for people and especially that child, I want her to make sense. I feel the same way about your old manager.

A realtor took us to Inwood once and I just about had a heart attack. We took three steps off that train and said to her, you know maybe we should try somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 408June 6, 2021 7:55 AM

Look at the Instagram comments at R388's link. One of them appears to be a deceased Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 409June 6, 2021 4:59 PM

That woman with her preteen son's bedroom behind a curtain is gonna get real uncomfortable once he's old enough to start masturbating.

by Anonymousreply 410June 6, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote] That woman with her preteen son's bedroom behind a curtain is gonna get real uncomfortable once he's old enough to start masturbating.

He’s grown now. She was telling me this about 1995. We no longer work together and I’ve lost touch with her.

by Anonymousreply 411June 6, 2021 5:46 PM

It'd be interesting to know how he feels about his mother now.

by Anonymousreply 412June 6, 2021 5:47 PM

So long as your neighbors are good about getting their dogs enough exercise R405--taking them on two or three long walks a day or bringing them to a dog park--then the size of the apartment should not matter, Dogs spend a lot of the day sleeping and/or following their humans from room to room.

by Anonymousreply 413June 6, 2021 5:54 PM

R17 Is that her?

by Anonymousreply 414June 6, 2021 6:15 PM

[quote] My mom grew up on the LES, in one of those disgusting old buildings near 2nd Avenue, Even those old fashioned railroad flats were more comfortable than the closet this young women is living in. Until my aunts and uncles were young teens, my grandparents raised five children in a six room LES railroad flat.

But she's living there for a year or two at most.

She's not raising a family there.

And unlike your poor relations, if she gets bored of it, she has options.

by Anonymousreply 415June 6, 2021 6:22 PM

There are all these videos online of people who kit out vans with showers and toilets and kitchens and beds and then go live in them.

Do they raise the blood pressure of DLers as much as this woman does?

by Anonymousreply 416June 6, 2021 6:23 PM

I wonder if people have learned nothing from covid. You pay a ton for nothing if everything is closed. I think people see the value of suburbs more now. It's more visible what you're actually paying for in the city. Yes, the culture and night life is amazing, don't get me wrong. But I'd personally want to live a bit away from the city centre, less noise, more bang for your buck etc. You get more living space. Who wants to live in a fucking shoebox?! Most people can afford to take the subway, so living a bit further from the city centre should be no problem.

by Anonymousreply 417June 6, 2021 6:33 PM

[quote]It is plainly obvious despite what *YOU* may think or whatever plenty of people are renting these small to (what you call) tiny apartments and are perfectly happy.

That's NOT an apartment you FREAK, that's a fucking CLOSET. No one can be "perfectly happy" living in that claustrophobic mess.

I'm figuring, all the idiots in this thread defending this overpriced closet likely live in such places.

Why don't most of you delusional liars simply stay in your bumfuck states, you won't have to deal with living in a closet in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 418June 6, 2021 8:30 PM

[quote]And unlike your poor relations, if she gets bored of it, she has options.

Guess you have reading comprehension problems? I stated my grandparents bought a house in Brooklyn.

My 'poor relations' are now all quite rich, they didn't pass their LES hovels on to other family members, they left that neighborhood a long time ago. It's called progressing in life, try it sometime. My grandfather ended up owning several Brooklyn buildings. My mom and her siblings all attended college and moved on in life.

The irony is, young people are coming to NYC in droves and renting apartments in those same disgusting old LES buildings where my family members grew up! The huge difference, these young people are now paying much more than my grandparents ever did, much more for what are essentially 100+ year charm-free old apartments in decrepit buildings.

Keep deluding yourself about this young woman's sad life. Imagine someone growing up in a large comfortable house, then downgrading their life just to live in Manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 419June 6, 2021 8:45 PM

R419 has got to be trolling us.

No one can really be that stupid IRL

by Anonymousreply 420June 6, 2021 9:28 PM

To pay over a ;thousand dollars a month to live in a room with no kitchen and no proper bathroom is just not RIGHT. How can landlords be allowed to rent these places that are so unfit to live in? I know there are idiots who are willing to pay to live in these places, but that still doesn't make it right. It's such a scam.

by Anonymousreply 421June 6, 2021 9:47 PM

Does she pee standing up?

by Anonymousreply 422June 6, 2021 9:57 PM

Weren't co-living spaces--basically adult dorms--supposed to be the coming thing in cities like NYC? Really, a private room and bath with shared kitchen/recreation/laundry facilities would be preferable to this.

by Anonymousreply 423June 6, 2021 10:13 PM

[quote]To pay over a ;thousand dollars a month to live in a room with no kitchen and no proper bathroom is just not RIGHT. How can landlords be allowed to rent these places that are so unfit to live in? I know there are idiots who are willing to pay to live in these places, but that still doesn't make it right. It's such a scam.

That's another thing, the corrupt politicians seem to allow this to go on year after year, meanwhile those same politicians are giving tax abatements to corrupt landlords or rather the LLC corporations which have bought those old disgusting NYC buildings. Some of these so-called apartments are smaller than jail cells!

You think this place is awful. There's an African-American woman with a YouTube channel which features worse 'apartments' than this. I like her presentation and she's funny, but I wonder why she chose these micro-apartments as her YouTube niche.

One apartment on her channel was literally a closet. There was no bathroom (you had to share bathroom in the hallway), no place to cook and no window, it was actually a closet. How can such a place legally pass as an apartment?

by Anonymousreply 424June 6, 2021 11:10 PM

The restroom at my local Starbucks is bigger than her apartment. That's just sad. And for that much money per month!

by Anonymousreply 425June 7, 2021 1:56 AM

There is probably more to this story. This lady's father is a podiatrist/foot surgeon, and her mother appears to be a research RN. (This is according to Google.) They live in a Flyoverstani palace while their daughter lives in this hovel. Perhaps they told her that they would only supplement her income by $1500/month and this was all she could find. Or maybe it's a con just to get her name into the googlesphere so she can begin her illustrious career, whatever that's supposed to be. Whatever the case may be, this is not some poor soul from nowhere who has no money in her pocket. She is choosing to live in that closet for reasons TBD.

by Anonymousreply 426June 7, 2021 4:06 AM

R426 oh it was absolutely her choice. She HAD to live in the West Village and she HAD to live alone.

Some aspiring actress without a family with money would've taken a room in Astoria or Gowanus.

by Anonymousreply 427June 7, 2021 4:30 AM

Read her blog, her friends live in the building.

by Anonymousreply 428June 7, 2021 5:15 AM

If you lived here, how would you fix it up so it didn't look like a sty?

by Anonymousreply 429June 7, 2021 6:38 AM

[quote]If you lived here, how would you fix it up so it didn't look like a sty?

I'd knock down the walls in both directions!

Seriously, it's not that the place looks like a sty, it's not a fucking apartment!

by Anonymousreply 430June 7, 2021 11:21 AM

She looks like AOC (not a compliment)

by Anonymousreply 431June 7, 2021 12:23 PM

[quote] Read her blog, her friends live in the building.

Which explains a lot--she probably is only in there to sleep and change clothes.

Though it does not explain why so many DLers are completely and thoroughly triggered by her living situation as if it was somehow an affront to every single decision they'd made in life, and not some flighty 21 year old girl doing something that will make for a good story in years to come.

Or maybe even next month when one of her friends moves out and she can take over their (much larger) apartment.

by Anonymousreply 432June 7, 2021 1:25 PM

The friends in the building thing supports my original supposition: This is essentially a small, expensive private dorm room. She'll move out in a year or two when she gets a job or a boyfriend or just gets sick of living in a shoebox.

by Anonymousreply 433June 7, 2021 4:52 PM

R432, I think the triggers you are imagining are really limited to us old queens talking about how even when we were her age, we would not have lived in a 72 square foot janitor closet. This is not an apartment. The micro apartments out there are at least 120 s.f., and are ungodly small.

That and the fact that she's paying $18.68 per square foot/month, and that is way above market even in highly desirable GW.

by Anonymousreply 434June 7, 2021 5:19 PM

[quote]The friends in the building thing supports my original supposition: This is essentially a small, expensive private dorm room.

It's really my closet space, but shhhh, don't tell her that. She's paying my entire rent.

by Anonymousreply 435June 7, 2021 8:17 PM

That's a sweet deal you got goin there Kaitlyn! Gettin PAID yo! You gonna be around later? You want me to come by so we can fuck?

by Anonymousreply 436June 7, 2021 8:20 PM

This apartment has her beat: 60 square feet, no stove, bathroom down the hall, looks out on an air shaft. $1095 a month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437June 7, 2021 10:41 PM

R437, how the hell is that legal? Why, because there's a window?

by Anonymousreply 438June 8, 2021 8:20 PM

Since there's no bathroom, maybe it's classed as just a rented room?

This video shows 3 micro-apartments, with the one above seen last. The first 1 is actually livable, as it has its own bathroom (not a wet room) and a nice kitchenette as well as 3 big windows. The second is tight but doable, and it has a wet room bathroom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439June 8, 2021 11:24 PM

Who is this Conover dude and how does he now own a $3 million dollar plus Soho loft after only being in Manhattan a few years? He mentioned how he struggled to live when he first arrived. Is he from a wealthy background, he finally got his trust fund?

The loft he bought is an odd shape, it's 2000 square feet, but the space wasn't utilized properly. The loft is not an entire floor across, it seems somewhat narrow. The space opens into a narrow hallway, then there are odd curved walls throughout. The kitchen is large yet the upstairs loft bedroom looks like an afterthought, it's too small and appears to only hold the bed. The closets should be huge, they aren't.

The architect should look for work in another field.

by Anonymousreply 440June 10, 2021 3:57 AM

He changes apartments every few months. I suspect that a lot of those apartments are rent-discounted in exchange for exposure in his YouTube videos.

by Anonymousreply 441June 10, 2021 6:02 PM

To clarify, Conover doesn't own his new loft--he's said in another video that he's just there for a year or so. Given his moving history, he probably won't even be there that long.

by Anonymousreply 442June 10, 2021 6:03 PM

There not even room for an erection in that place.

by Anonymousreply 443June 10, 2021 6:09 PM

[quote]To clarify, Conover doesn't own his new loft--he's said in another video that he's just there for a year or so. Given his moving history, he probably won't even be there that long.

Will he also trade in the cookie-cutter blonde GF, she was in the loft video, and his dog Theo? Perhaps he'll keep the dog. The dog is cute.

by Anonymousreply 444June 10, 2021 7:56 PM

R442, just checked that Soho loft situation. As of April he was moving out.

I noticed he was wearing a wedding ring in some videos. Then, in the move out video it was just Erik, his dog and no wedding ring. The GF/wife was nowhere in sight.

Erik claimed he was having mental health issues, that was one of the reasons he could no longer justify paying $10,000 a month in rent, which he likely wasn't paying at all.

Since he's always promoting those expensive rentals and co-ops/condos he likely doesn't pay rent or gets a deep discount.

by Anonymousreply 445June 10, 2021 8:19 PM

Oh, I thought you were talking about his latest loft, R445. He shows us this place here. This is the one he says he won't be in long, though he's already put in a custom windowed wall:

He sounds exhausting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446June 10, 2021 8:52 PM

In the 80s I lived in a university-area rooming house room that was probably 8' × 10'. It was furnished with a bed that was larger than a cot but smaller than a twin. And a desk with a chair. A tiny closet and one window. The restroom/shower was down the hall and everyone on that floor shared it. I think the building was like 80 rooms on four floors. It supposedly had A/C but just barely. A common kitchen on each floor.

I had saved my money from working on a vegetable farm and was so thrilled to have escaped my tiny, homophobic hick town on a Greyhound bus. I got a job at a fast food restaurant and rode public transportation.

I was free.

by Anonymousreply 447June 10, 2021 9:22 PM

Not interested in Con over but this dude uploads well produced videos regularly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448June 10, 2021 11:13 PM

[quote]Not interested in Con over but this dude uploads well produced videos regularly.

I've been watching Cash's videos longer than Erik's. The problem with Cash's videos, all the apartments look the same, especially the places in Manhattan. These apartments are obviously formerly much larger cut-up spaces in old buildings.

The kitchen appliances are always against one wall, there are never separate kitchens with walls,. Off from the kitchen is a tiny space which is essentially a wide hallway which Cash explains can be the living room or dining area!

The bedrooms are reasonable sizes, but the layouts are usually somewhat off, especially when there's an actual three bedroom and no sense of privacy for roommates or even for a couple with kids. In a few of these apartments, you literally had to go through one of the bedrooms to get to the one and only bathroom.

In one way or another, architecturally, most of the 'affordable' spaces Cash shows are a hot mess.

Cash is very charming, he's the only reason to watch those videos. He's always mentioning the need for a sink sprayer and a shrine for your 'god'. Lol

by Anonymousreply 449June 11, 2021 12:43 AM

LESBO!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450November 5, 2021 2:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!