Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Old Film Recommendations

Someone posted a short scene from "Auntie Mame" in another thread about videos that always make you laugh so I decided to hunt the movie down and watch it.

It was really excellent and fun to watch. Very fast paced and well done. I've never been a fan of old movies but would like to see more now. I've seen a couple like Gone with the Wind, Some Like It Hot, Wizard of Oz and The Birds. I tried to watch black & white films but can't.

They have to be in color is my only prerequisite so probably 1950s onwards?

Do any DL film buffs have any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 143June 10, 2021 10:34 PM

I would recommend the Joan Crawford drama The Damned dont cry OP.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2021 3:32 AM

Why do they have to be in color? You'll miss out on the classics that every gay man should know by heart.

All About Eve

Sunset Blvd.

The Women

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2021 3:33 AM

Mildred Pierce

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2021 3:37 AM

Yes they have to be in color R2. Maybe after I have done some color movies I will retry black and white films. For now - color.

Thanks R1. I will try that one. I forgot to say I also watched "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?". Two crazy botches but very well done.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2021 3:37 AM

[quote] I forgot to say I also watched "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?". Two crazy botches but very well done.

That's not in color.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2021 4:07 AM

Sorry OP, you will have to tolerate b&w and watch His Girl Friday.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2021 4:33 AM

OP, it sounds like you like campy movies from the 1950s and 1960s.

So, for ones in full color:

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE

FUNNY FACE

FEMALE ON THE BEACH*

AUTUMN LEAVES*

PEYTON PLACE*

IMITATION OF LIFE*

THE PARENT TRAP

THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS

WHERE ANGELS GO, TROUBLE FOLLOWS

LOVE HAS MANY FACES*

VALLEY OF THE DOLLS*

*-not meant to be a comedy, but still very campy

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2021 5:06 AM

That's a fantastic list thank you R7. I will get locating and watching them right away. I'll try some of the B&W movies listed here too but I am not a fan of the medium/genre.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2021 5:14 AM

Musicals, just watch MGM musicals. Maybe a few from Fox.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2021 5:27 AM

I can't stand musicals. That's where I draw the line.

The only musical I have ever watched and enjoyed is Grease. It's just not my genre sorry R9.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2021 5:30 AM

North by Northwest.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2021 5:33 AM

"Funny Face" is a musical, so cross it off your list.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2021 5:43 AM

You're tedious, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2021 5:47 AM

The Ten Commandments

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2021 5:49 AM

"Obsession" alternate title "The Hidden Room" 1949. Robert Newton. It's available on youtube. I came across it accidentally but then couldn't turn it off.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2021 5:50 AM

“Susan Slade” “A Summer Place” “Peyton Place” “Imitation Of Life” 1959 “Backstreet” “Where The Boys Are” “Sunset Blvd” “East Of Eden” “Rebel Without A Cause” “Singing In The Rain”

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2021 5:54 AM

Sorry it didn’t format correctly on my phone.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2021 5:55 AM

Thanks R16. It's all perfectly readable so no need to worry. Haven't seen any of those. R14 - thank you too - haven't seen that. Heston right?

Thank you so much R13. I'll make a detailed note of it.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2021 6:06 AM

Arlene Dahl, Rhonda Fleming, John Payne

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2021 6:21 AM

OP is being a bossy bottom.

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2021 6:21 AM

“Rear Window”, “My Fair Lady”, “The Sound Of Music”, “Some Like It Hot” ( It is in b&w, but still worth the watch ).

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2021 6:26 AM

I just realized you watched “Some Like It Hot”. Disregard.

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2021 6:28 AM

Charade always brings back memories…of Daddy being nowhere to be found for the first time & probably having an affair. The movie was a good diversion.

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2021 6:44 AM

R15 I agree with you. "The Hidden Room" is very interestingly noir.

It stars Robert Newton— before he descended into alcoholism— and the sultry Sally Grey.

It was directed by a Communist exile who had a very patchy career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2021 6:46 AM

OP Some Like It Hot is in b/w and you watched it. You're missing out on Sunset Blvd, Kiss Me, Deadly, The Night of the Hunter, The Heiress, Trouble in Paradise, the Miracle Worker, The Innocents, the Haunting, Repulsion, Strangers on a Train, The Night of the Living Dead, Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, 12 Angry Men, Paths of Glory, Lolita, Hud, In Cold Blood.

In color try Rear Window, Sisters (1972), Pretty Poison (1968), Slaughterhouse-Five, Rosemary's Baby (1968),Dog Day Afternoon, The Out of Towners (1970) Straw Dogs (1972), Black Christmas (1974),Willie Wonka . . .(1971),The Collector (1965)

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2021 7:00 AM

R10/OP turn in your gay card. Or at least give Singin' in the Rain a try....

by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2021 7:21 AM

"The Long Long Trailer" with Lucy and Desi.

by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2021 7:23 AM

OP, if you should decide to give b&w a chance, I suggest watching “A Streetcar Named Desire”. Brando is at his most beautiful in that film.

by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2021 7:33 AM

[16] I love all of your choices.

by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2021 7:50 AM

OMG NO, R20/R16. If you want to be permanently turned off from movies from the fifties, just watch anything with Troy (Closet Case) Donahue and his powder blue sweaters.

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2021 2:46 PM

R30 but not Imitation of Life (1959)

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2021 9:14 PM

Basic suggestions from me, but all in color:

Vertigo Rope Pillow Talk Breakfast at Tiffany’s Mogambo To Catch a Thief A Place in the Sun Butterfield 8

by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2021 9:45 PM

OP, you should definitely give REAR WINDOW (1954) a try. Unbelievably good--funny, suspenseful. And Thelma Ritter will crack you up.

by Anonymousreply 33June 4, 2021 9:56 PM

That is an EXCELLENT List R7! It has some of my favs!

Good old color flicks include: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Some Like It Hot, Cape Fear (1962 version with Robert Mitchum).

Some great kinda old (but not yet classic) movies include: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; The Bird Cage; The Hand That Rocks The Cradle; and Single White Female.

And Gurrrrrrl since this is Pride Month, you are gonna have to watch some musicals or just turn in the gay card at the door!

Must see Musicals include: (1) South Pacific (WWII In color... Shirtless men singing and dancing on the beach with important lessons on diversity)! (2) West Side Story: Hot Latinos dancing and singing. Some of the White guys are cute too! (Arguably One of the BEST musicals ever made)! (3) The Wiz - Michael Jackson and Diana Ross singing and dancing, need I say more? (4) Singin In The Rain - Fine ass Gene Kelly's Thousand Watt smile singing and dancing in the rain alone makes this worth seeing! (5) Guys And Dolls - Marlon Brando in his most suave role and Frank Sinatra still slim and cute and singing his little ass off!

by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2021 10:00 PM

R30 Troy Donahue was an asshole in Imitation of Life, but it's still a wonderful movie. I always cry every time I see that classic scene (don't spoil it for those who haven't seen it).

by Anonymousreply 35June 4, 2021 10:06 PM

I applaud your curiosity and interest, but you lose many points because of your foolish avoidance of black and white films.

by Anonymousreply 36June 4, 2021 10:08 PM

OP, you twat. You want color-film recommendations?

SUNSET BOULEVARD

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN

SOME LIKE IT HOT

PATHER PANCHALI

NOTORIOUS

M

PSYCHO

THE RULES OF THE GAME

THE WOMEN

WHITE HEAT

THE THIRD MAN

SEVEN SAMURAI

THE THIN MAN

RAGING BULL

WILD STRAWBERRIES

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

by Anonymousreply 37June 4, 2021 10:08 PM

The Best of Everything. You'll love it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 38June 4, 2021 10:20 PM

[quote] Dog Day Afternoon, The Out of Towners (1970) Straw Dogs (1972),

Did you miss the part where we realized what OP really wants arecampy movies??

Dog Day Afternoon and Straw Dogs are good movies, but they're the opposite of campy. Why would you suggest them?

by Anonymousreply 39June 4, 2021 10:47 PM

Ha ha, R37. But it’s surprising how many great B&W films people remember as being in color, including OP.

by Anonymousreply 40June 4, 2021 10:56 PM

Suck it up Buttercup and watch Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. The original Thelma and Louise. With songs,

by Anonymousreply 41June 4, 2021 11:01 PM

r7 Lauren Bacall ,Marilyn Monroe and Betty Grable all in the same movie lighting up the same scene was a heavenly treat!!

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2021 5:13 AM

The Exorcist

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2021 5:19 AM

There are some gorgeous color films before 1950, OP, and no songs sung in any of them:

The Red Shoes

Black Narcissus

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Leave Her to Heaven

A Star Is Born (1937)

The Yearling

The Thief of Baghdad

Duel in the Sun

LIttle Women (1949)

A Matter of Life and Death

Blithe Spirit

Samson and Delilah

National Velvet

Caesar and Cleopatra

The Three Musketeers (1948)

The Return of Frank James

Drums Along the Mohawk

by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2021 6:46 AM

[quote] I tried to watch black & white films but can't.

I've never understood this inane reaction to b/w films. What does it mean?

I find the contrast and lighting in b/w can be far more evocative than most color film processes.

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2021 7:02 AM

"Some Like it Hot" is a black & white film.

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2021 7:02 AM

[quote]The only musical I have ever watched and enjoyed is Grease. It's just not my genre sorry R9.

If you've seen the musical "The King and I" from1956 with Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr, and didn't like it, I cannot respect you.

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2021 8:21 AM

It didn't get great reviews but I love Arabesque with Sophia Loren and Gregory Peck.

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2021 8:35 AM

I don't hear this film mentioned here much, but one of my favorite old films (also in B&W) is The Best Years of our Lives (1946). It won 7 Oscars, OP -- give it a try. I promise you won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2021 9:09 AM

Arabesque makes the least sense of any film I've seen but the point is the Donen style and two fabulous Hollywood star in mid 60s London doing what is anybody's guess. And Jesus there are easier faster ways to kill people if you really want to. But then the movie would be 15 minutes long.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2021 9:37 AM

"Young Frankenstein" (1974) was in black and white.

If the OP doesn't like this movie, I have nothing more to say to him.

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2021 9:37 AM

If you need dazzling color films the Warner Archives have put out a lot of Technicolor beauties in bluray to enjoy no matter how inane the plot. I recommend Million Dollar Mermaid for some of Busby Berkeley's hallucinatory swimming fantasies.

And there is on a label Eureka from Europe the full length Busby Berkeley orgasm called The Gang's All Here. It's a musical but everyone's high doing gorgeous Harry Warren songs and doing things on screen with bananas that people were not meant to do but Berkeley didn't give a shit. It's also on the stateside Twilight Time label but the the Eureka has more saturated colors.

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2021 9:55 AM

I agree with r32 and would add Guess who's Coming to Dinner to watch the stunning Sidney Poitier. You'll want to see all his movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2021 10:01 AM

I adore that movie, R27. I can watch it at any time, but it's a permanent fixture in my summer playlist. I need to read the novel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2021 10:06 AM

Agreed, R45. OP will never have the pleasure of seeing "Now, Voyager", "Mildred Pierce", or even "Psycho". That's on him.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2021 10:11 AM

C O B R A W O M A N

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2021 11:38 AM

R37 Add "The Lost Weekend" to that list!

by Anonymousreply 57June 6, 2021 3:07 AM

Charade (because Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant)

Doctor Zhivago (because Julie Christie, Omar Sharif)

The Thrill of it All (because Doris Day, James Garner)

by Anonymousreply 58June 6, 2021 5:33 AM

No musicals, no black-and-white. OP is impossible to shop for.

by Anonymousreply 59June 6, 2021 5:51 AM

If you watch only one B&W film, it should be 'All About Eve'.

by Anonymousreply 60June 7, 2021 6:00 PM

Please get past your dislike of B&W, for the films listed above but also for The Thin Man series and My Man Godfrey.

by Anonymousreply 61June 7, 2021 7:23 PM

Without B&W, you’re also missing Buster Keaton and Judy Holliday in Born Yesterday,

by Anonymousreply 62June 7, 2021 7:25 PM

North by Northwest Charade How to Steal a Million Rear Window Anatomy of a Murder

by Anonymousreply 63June 7, 2021 7:33 PM

North by Northwest

Charade

How to Steal a Million

Rear Window

Anatomy of a Murder

by Anonymousreply 64June 7, 2021 7:36 PM

You already said that R64.

by Anonymousreply 65June 8, 2021 3:22 PM

R62, I didn't know Buster Keaton was in Born Yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 66June 8, 2021 3:23 PM

It's so weird when people say they can't watch a black and white film. I'm sorry, I have no patience with it. You probably can stand black and white photos, why not films? Or can you only look at paintings, not black and white sketches? I'm usually nice, but I just feel people who need to see color films are dumb. It's like if someone wanted to show you a book of amazing old Civil War photos by Matthew Brady. "Oh, gee, no, they're not in color." I mean in B&W movies it's all the same except without colors. There's still people, dialogue, etc. Also, artistically, visually, it can be very beautiful or exciting.

by Anonymousreply 67June 8, 2021 4:40 PM

Most people like new movies. It takes a certain leap of imagination to put yourself in the right frame of mind to appreciate an old one and most people don't have that capability.

by Anonymousreply 68June 8, 2021 4:55 PM

If you see only one b&w comedy make it "Midnight" (1939). Absolutely sparkling.

by Anonymousreply 69June 8, 2021 5:02 PM

[quote]Most people like new movies. It takes a certain leap of imagination to put yourself in the right frame of mind to appreciate an old one and most people don't have that capability

Maybe most people don't have it now. When I was growing up everyone had it. Old movies from the 30s to the 60s were on TV constantly. Local TV, newtwork TV. People of all ages usually watched at least some of them. They could only watch new movies at the movies. Not streaming, on DVDs, on HBO, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 70June 9, 2021 2:28 AM

Ryan's Daughter is unintentionally campy

by Anonymousreply 71June 9, 2021 3:27 AM

^ I'm a Lean fan but I have to agree. The three main actors are disastrous in their roles. A clever editor could slice out 60 minutes without loss.

by Anonymousreply 72June 9, 2021 3:56 AM

R68 actually it’s the opposite for me. I’ve become more accustomed to older films that it takes a certain frame of mind for me to get into some of the very current ones. Films now are not all bad by they often don’t live up to the hype and are for the most part rather unsatisfying. even films that are acclaimed like ‘promising young woman’ took a certain mind set for me to get into. If I compare that to some od the older ones say from the 70s like ‘mean streets’ or ‘dog day afternoon’ which I quickly found myself engrossed in the story or further back films like ‘design for living’ or ‘Mildred pierce’…

by Anonymousreply 73June 9, 2021 4:02 AM

R73 ‘design for living’

Are you taking about the 1930s Noel Coward play? I don't think anyone was happy with that unfunny, lead-footed, heterosexualized movie.

by Anonymousreply 74June 9, 2021 4:05 AM

Any Douglas Sirk. Splendor in the Grass. Topaz. And if you don't mind foreign, Day for Night, Rider on the Rain, The Garden of the Finzi-Continis. Beautiful, all of them.

by Anonymousreply 75June 9, 2021 4:11 AM

well while it’s “hererosexualized” it’s still pretty good for the period and still an easier watch than some films I’ve seen lately that recurved hype. Personally I found it very funny at least the first hour, I also love the screwballs from that era too like ‘midnight’ and ‘true confession’…

R75 I agree with all your choices completely. Love douglas Sirk films again they are very easy for me to get into. During lockdown I’ve tried to catch up on films I’ve missed and am often surprised at the contrast between the ways stories were told in the 30s all the way to now.

In ‘cruella’ which I saw very recently is was shocked by how much music they used, it was one song after another to make the audience feel a certain way - I guess because the story was not enough. I love how old films were rarely more than 90 mins too. Everything now goes on and on it seems.

by Anonymousreply 76June 9, 2021 4:16 AM

Lately the stuff that have had the same effect on me as older movies (30s-some 90s and 00s too) are shows and limited series. I really do think it’s something to do with storytelling. I would compare ‘flight attendant’ for example with some of the screwball comedies of the 30s.

‘Mare of easttown’ and ‘mrs. America’ are updated woman’s pictures and ‘true detective’ is like the gritty films of the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 77June 9, 2021 4:24 AM

I now understand why some of the more seasoned members of this web-community are depressed by the quality of content.

by Anonymousreply 78June 9, 2021 4:29 AM

[quote] In ‘cruella’ which I saw very recently is was shocked by how much music they used,

Disney uses a continuous music background soundtrack now. It helps the numbskull audience know what to think.

by Anonymousreply 79June 9, 2021 4:29 AM

Do you do subtitles? There is a really fun Italian classic called Salo. And Repulsion and Belle de Jour are French movies with the entertaining and joyous Catherine Deneuve. City of God is all about mad cap adventures in Rio.

by Anonymousreply 80June 9, 2021 4:30 AM

Metropolis

by Anonymousreply 81June 9, 2021 4:38 AM

[quote] It's so weird when people say they can't watch a black and white film.

Most of my favourite actors had their best years in the black and white era but I can well understand why some arty types hate them.

I spoke to an arty type and he said "they are so LIMITING. It's like making love with one arm. It's like trying to make a speech but refusing to use vowels."

by Anonymousreply 82June 9, 2021 4:40 AM

Well depending on OP's age, its possible he is of a generation who has NEVER seen a movie projected on a screen from a celluloid print.

by Anonymousreply 83June 9, 2021 4:51 AM

Seeing an actual projected print is something to behold.

by Anonymousreply 84June 9, 2021 4:58 AM

DVD projections are okay. But the last time I saw Notorious, Cary Grand, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Raines were just stuck on that damn staircase!!

by Anonymousreply 85June 9, 2021 5:01 AM

Imagine refusing to watch The Little Foxes because it's in black and white? OP is missing a little something in the head.

by Anonymousreply 86June 9, 2021 5:47 AM

"All About Eve"? No, thank you. "Sunset Boulevard"? Forget it. "Some Like It Hot"? No way!

by Anonymousreply 87June 9, 2021 6:00 AM

Watch The African Queen, to see Bogart and Hepburn as fish out of water, but both at their most charming.

And you really must get over you aversion to black & White films, because you are depriving yourself of Casablanca (possibly the best film ever made) and Judgement at Nuremberg, which brings together the greatest cast ever: Spencer Tracy, Dietrich, Garland, Clift, Schell, Lancaster, Widmark, and a very young Captain Kirk.

by Anonymousreply 88June 9, 2021 6:03 AM

Gavin Lambert once hilariously summed up "Judgment at Nuremberg" as "an all-star concentration-camp drama, with special guest-victim appearances."

by Anonymousreply 89June 9, 2021 6:06 AM

[quote] the greatest cast ever

The egomaniacal director wanted Olivier. Lancaster looks extremely uncomfortable. Widmark is lame.

Monty and Judy were desperate American afterthoughts whose embarrassing roles are incidental to the main story.

But Max is Gorgeous!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 9, 2021 6:10 AM

OP is probably having us on.

by Anonymousreply 91June 9, 2021 7:08 AM

[quote]I'll try some of the B&W movies listed here too but I am not a fan of the medium/genre.

Black and white films are not a genre. Agree with r91, people should probably have picked up on this guy's act earlier than they did.

by Anonymousreply 92June 9, 2021 9:25 AM

What possible reason would there be to "have you on" R91 and R92?!?

I mean seriously you nitwits - exactly what would I gain from having you on? Huh? An amazing custom recommended list of films to watch? Great! That's what I had hoped for. Some of you are far too cynical for your own good. Just stop it or at least direct it towards actual trolls. There's plenty of them. Plus learn how to use posting history/ignordar to identify trolls.

Thank you to all you wonderful film buffs who have posted so many fantastic suggestions and lovely, snarky insults which have made me giggle and love you all the more. I deeply appreciate your opinions and suggestions. I could have gotten a list from IMDB or somewhere like that but I wanted it to be a DL flavored suggestion list from my fellow gays. It was that Auntie Mamie clip posted by one of you which spurred me to watch that movie and begin this journey after all.

Because of all the wonderful responses in this thread I have decided two things:

1. I will 100% give black and white films a go and there are plenty listed for me to watch. I guess my reticence/disinterest was because I have never really watched any so have dismissed the genre which seems silly now I think about it and consider all your insults about my brain functions and idiocy properly.

2. Unfortunately, I [bold]will[/bold] have to hand in my gay card because I am never going to be a fan of musicals. I did watch The Wizard of Oz and Grease. That's enough.

Thank you once again and please don't stop posting your suggestions. Eventually, I will work my way through all of them.

by Anonymousreply 93June 9, 2021 10:20 AM

I had a dormroom mate at Cornell undergrad in Pre-Med. He had never eaten a peach. He was from NY metropolitan area. I asked why. He said, Oh I don't know. I guess I've never been curious. I don't think I would like peaches. He went on to Yale School of Medicine. He may be your doctor now. Never having tried a peach, and having never seen a classic B&W movie.

by Anonymousreply 94June 9, 2021 10:55 AM

I'm not a big musical fan either but i can appreciate one if it features a great singing star like Judy, Barbra, or Frank or great dancers and choreography. I like The Pajama Game because of the Bob Fosse choreography and John Raitt's beautiful voice and despite Doris Day (not a fan). And it's in color.

by Anonymousreply 95June 9, 2021 11:11 AM

I would prefer recommendations specifically of movies featuring at least a few woman with large bosoms high on the chest, such as Jane Russell. Also a few men in the film need to show healthy VPL. B&W is OK. Foreign language, sure. I'm just not interested in movies with small tittied ladies. Keep your Audrey Hepburn recommendations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 9, 2021 12:22 PM

I was a film critic for a decade, a member of tons of organizations and groups, and could probably still point out the GALECA members on DL today if I gave it a whirl, r93, and I also think you're pulling our collective legs. No one but an utter child would say they are literally unable to watch black and white movies, especially while listing multiple black and white movies they've seen.

If you're not a troll, then you're a brat, and you're too old to pull that look off.

by Anonymousreply 97June 9, 2021 12:34 PM

[quote]I will 100% give black and white films a go and there are plenty listed for me to watch. I guess my reticence/disinterest was because I have never really watched any so have dismissed the genre

Again, it's not a genre. You've also already told us the names of multiple black and white films you've seen, so stop telling us you haven't really watched any.

[quote]Plus learn how to use posting history/ignordar to identify trolls.

Don't you try to school me, you rude little bug. You don't even know how to spell ignore-dar. So many people use multiple accounts to post on here that the so-called ignore-dar function is almost useless, and besides, you're not worth the effort.

More than one person called you exhausting and a troll. There's a reason for that. Figure it out, Dr. Genius.

by Anonymousreply 98June 9, 2021 12:46 PM

[quote]I'm not a big musical fan either but i can appreciate one if it features a great singing star like Judy, Barbra, or Frank or great dancers and choreography. I like The Pajama Game because of the Bob Fosse choreography and John Raitt's beautiful voice and despite Doris Day (not a fan)

But there are LOTS of musicals that feature great singing and/or dancing stars, and great choreography. If you like THE PAJAMA GAME, there's no reason why you shouldn't like lots of other musicals. At least, that's the way I see it.

by Anonymousreply 99June 9, 2021 1:34 PM

You're a real nasty asshole aren't you R98/R92. I'm a bit surprised and hurt by your shittyness actually. I'm sure you'll think that's hilarious. And no - I checked every post in this thread and it was just you and R91 who said I was a troll.

And no I can't figure out why I am a troll. Because I'm NOT. Once again - I can't imagine what reason you would think I would create this thread to troll. Troll for WHAT reason exactly? You're deluded by your own bitter cynicism.

Anyway - enough of your nasty bullshit! This has been an amazing thread filled with lots of really wonderful suggestions that I was hoping for and I'm not going to let you ruin it. I've got a great list of films to watch.

All I can say is that I hope I don't end up like you when I'm an old man.

You too R97. So I've watched a couple of B&W films! Big deal. I can't even remember them properly except the Baby Jane film which was awful and crazy and which I watched because so many people reference it here.

by Anonymousreply 100June 9, 2021 1:39 PM

3 wonderful black and white comedies with charming performances: 1. Midnight-claudette Colbert, Don Ameche, john Barrymore, Mary Astor 2. The Palm Beach Story-Colbert, Joel McCrea, Mary Astor 3. The more the Merrier-Joel McCrea, Charles Coburn

Maybe I just have a thing for McCrea or Colbert

by Anonymousreply 101June 9, 2021 1:40 PM

OP puts honey is his daiquiris.

by Anonymousreply 102June 9, 2021 1:58 PM

[quote]I tried to watch black & white films but can't.

This is fucking TRAGIC. You probably spend hours watching shitty TikToks, though.

by Anonymousreply 103June 9, 2021 2:16 PM

I love black and white films. Just like I love high contrast b/w art work. Pen and ink. Something so visceral about it. Not unlike playing the piano. You need the white keys, and the darkies.

by Anonymousreply 104June 9, 2021 2:28 PM

How come people won’t watch black and white films? I don’t get it.

You miss out on a lot of Barbra Stanwyk.

by Anonymousreply 105June 9, 2021 2:49 PM

r97, for fuck's sake; UNCLENCH.

by Anonymousreply 106June 9, 2021 3:24 PM

How DARE the OP not like B&W films! How DARE he call them a "genre"!

THE INHUMAN MONSTER!

Get me to my fainting couch!

by Anonymousreply 107June 9, 2021 3:26 PM

Hold old does a film have to be, OP, for you to consider it "old?" I highly recommend Fearless. It's from 1993. When I think of "old" movies, I think of them as being pre-1970, but then, I think it is all dependent on how old one is.

by Anonymousreply 108June 9, 2021 3:33 PM

Not OP but R108 I still consider films from 2000s fairly recent and I’m like you I’d say anything post 1970 is modern and prior to that is old. I have friends who think anything older than 2010 is old now.

by Anonymousreply 109June 9, 2021 4:25 PM

R109 if OP is genuine he is a very naive person with little knowledge of film history and might consider 80s and 90s films old. I am a college prof and many of my students do consider 90s OLD.

by Anonymousreply 110June 9, 2021 7:19 PM

[quote]You miss out on a lot of Barbra Stanwyk.

You missed out on the 'c' in her last name, and the and the middle 'a' in her first name.

by Anonymousreply 111June 9, 2021 7:27 PM

I have never heard anyone just rule out black and white films. It seems bizarre. I do not get the logic.

Especially since films before color move at a much faster pace than those after color. There are some great films of the late 50s and 60s. But even not-great films of the 30s and 40s are more entertaining than the glacial Hollywood pic of later times.

by Anonymousreply 112June 9, 2021 8:26 PM

Thanks R111 that kind of classic DL response is what keeps me coming back!

OP, watch Stella Dallas - I DARE you not to cry at the end!

by Anonymousreply 113June 9, 2021 8:45 PM

Anything with Harold Lloyd or Patsy Kelly in it.

by Anonymousreply 114June 9, 2021 8:49 PM

The 5000 Fingers Of Dr. T

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 9, 2021 8:52 PM

I have heard that recent generations really don't like films in black and white. It's a generational thing. Not everybody but a lot.

If you like The Pajama Game you must get the bluray. It is fabulous. I liked the film ok. But this new transfer knocked me for a loop. Dazzling.

by Anonymousreply 116June 9, 2021 8:57 PM

Thanks, R166

by Anonymousreply 117June 9, 2021 8:59 PM

Hey buddy I ain't POOPSIE!

by Anonymousreply 118June 9, 2021 9:01 PM

R118 I love you!

by Anonymousreply 119June 9, 2021 9:03 PM

[quote]OP, watch Stella Dallas - I DARE you not to cry at the end!

If you watch the Bette Midler remake, you'll cry, too -- over having wasted two hours of your life watching it.

by Anonymousreply 120June 9, 2021 9:14 PM

‘This earth is mine’ with rock Hudson and Jean Simmons. Beautifully shot in color with the vineyards of San Francisco. ‘A summer place’ and I’d you like that there’s a corny film from the 60s like ‘Parrish’.

Paul Newman in stunning in color in ‘from the terrace’ and a good soapy one called ‘strangers when we meet’ with Kim Novak and Kirk Douglas.

Also ‘the sand piper’ absolutely stunning film.

by Anonymousreply 121June 9, 2021 10:24 PM

I guess OP is looking for snappy dialogue (Mame) but if you’re looking for melodrama, try Written on the Wind.

by Anonymousreply 122June 9, 2021 10:28 PM

Have a Hitchcock festival: Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest. If you liked The Birds with Hedren, check out Marnie, another Hitchcock.

by Anonymousreply 123June 9, 2021 10:32 PM

Leave Her to Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 124June 9, 2021 10:33 PM

Theres a charming oldie, for all ages, called the Parent Trap, with Lindsay Lohan, who was a star about 20 years ago, before you were born. WEHT?

by Anonymousreply 125June 9, 2021 10:36 PM

If Lindsay's version of "The Parent Trap" is a "charming oldie," I guess that makes my version something from the Vitaphone era.

by Anonymousreply 126June 9, 2021 10:40 PM

I may have missed it, but Gentleman Prefer Blondes should go to the top as a fun movie. Silly but entertaining and worth it for this number alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 9, 2021 10:46 PM

I rewatched ‘wild river’ and must say how beautifully shot it was. So autumnal and the beauty of lee remick.

by Anonymousreply 128June 9, 2021 11:00 PM

The Gang's All Here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 9, 2021 11:10 PM

Leave Her To Heaven is great--the heroine (?) is perfect for DL. Watch it and you'll see!

by Anonymousreply 130June 9, 2021 11:35 PM

[quote]I may have missed it, but Gentleman Prefer Blondes should go to the top as a fun movie. Silly but entertaining and worth it for this number alone.

No black-and-white and no musicals! OP has stated his boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 131June 10, 2021 12:26 AM

I am sorry, R131, and I am actually a bit of a rules stickler. It is just so hard to read and follow all the details in these threads. I have enough trouble keeping track of today’s masking protocol. Somehow Auntie Mame made me think of it though the only good version of that was Not a musical, of course.

by Anonymousreply 132June 10, 2021 2:01 AM

Why don't they write songs like Minnie's in the Money and Paducah(if you want to you can rhyme it with Bazooka, but you can't poo poo Paducah) anymore?

by Anonymousreply 133June 10, 2021 2:12 AM

We don't have a Carmen Miranda to put the zing in it or a Benny Goodman to put the swing.

by Anonymousreply 134June 10, 2021 2:15 AM

This is my favorite number from Gang's All Here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 10, 2021 2:17 AM

Berkeley was so stoned when he came up with that.

by Anonymousreply 136June 10, 2021 2:20 AM

I love "The Polka Dot Polka," but it's hard to top a bunch of chorus girls holding giant bananas between their legs.

by Anonymousreply 137June 10, 2021 2:41 AM

^^ Raising the bananas, that is. ^^

by Anonymousreply 138June 10, 2021 2:43 AM

A couple of the girls have dented bananas....

by Anonymousreply 139June 10, 2021 2:46 AM

I’d suggest 42nd Street - great snappy dialogue - but Miss OP won’t entertain noncolor films…

by Anonymousreply 140June 10, 2021 12:46 PM

OP I still think you are nuttier than a fruitcake if you continue swearing off all musicals. I will say though, to your credit, there are many many terrible musicals. There are almost as many bad musicals as there are good ones. For me what makes a musical good is the music duh! LOL You have to find your own groove and what kind of music you like.

However, the reason I say you are crazy if you don't reconsider is that you are missing out on some of the best performers of all time. The movie musical comes from the tradition of talented LIVE performers back to vaudeville and beyond. The ability to act and sing and dance complicated moves all in the matter of moments LIVE in front of 100s of people is no small feat. These folks are special! Really! Once you see some good musicals (WITH GOOD MUSIC) like I mentioned in R34, you will be hooked!

by Anonymousreply 141June 10, 2021 3:34 PM

OP doesn't want to admit it but he's straight which is why he hates musicals. Auntie Mame not withstanding.

There is a colorized version of 42nd Street which actually looks pretty good. The gritty New York of the early depression is prettied up a bit but with all those chorus girls and spectacular production numbers it can take it.

by Anonymousreply 142June 10, 2021 6:57 PM

No musicals? I have an end table made out of about 80 VHS copies of Singing int the Rain. Then, this mutt wanders in and says “no musicals?!?” The nerve some people display is alarming.

by Anonymousreply 143June 10, 2021 10:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!