Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bo Burnham "INSIDE" on Netflix

Just dropped ... his Covid-Lockdown show. He did it all in his room over the last year.

And he spends a fair amount of time in his underwear. Showing package and VPL. In case you're interested.

I've had a crush on him since I first saw him. He's VERY talented. The show is very well done, and intermittently very funny, but all of it is showing a lot of talent. And I'm sorry, but I find him hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165February 1, 2022 12:30 AM

He’s gross looking. Didn’t he used to be cute?

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2021 5:53 AM

I feel like going inside Bo Burnham would result in a lot of shit on your dick.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2021 5:54 AM

He was cute, and now he's kinda hipster-hot.

He's not gross.

I'm still very attracted to him, and crushing on him.

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2021 5:55 AM

I only know him from Promising Young Woman. Is he funny?

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2021 5:55 AM

His first Netflix special was hilarious.

This one is more ... existential. But the song "White Woman's Instagram" was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2021 5:58 AM

It's interesting to watch him deteriorate over the course of the covid year... he doesn't cut his hair or shave, so you can tell pretty much when each segment was done. Towards the end he shows himself singing the same song near the beginning and near the end, and the difference is striking.

It's a great mirror reflecting what a lot of people went through during lockdown. The humor tempered by teh reality of how mentally difficult it was... and how many people were, if only temporary, broken.

It's a courageous performance.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2021 6:28 AM

Review:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2021 6:30 AM

Is that ugly guy at R7 supposed to be him?

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2021 6:37 AM

After a year of quarantine with no shave and no hair-cut, yes.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2021 6:40 AM

I think he's cute

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2021 3:53 PM

He just doesn’t have that “it” factor. He looks like some bum you pass on the street that you wouldn’t even notice. Whereas John Mulaney just looks like he should be famous and you would definitely notice him.

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2021 4:21 PM

He’s crazy intelligent and quick in real life. He lived down the block for awhile in nyc. Went to the same coffee shop every morning at 6:15 am. Got to know him very slightly. A good guy

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2021 5:51 PM

Thinks he can make gay jokes because he was a drama nerd.

by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2021 10:09 PM

I thought Words Words Words had exceedingly clever lyrics, and that made him hot. Of course that was like 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2021 10:45 PM

Here's a clip from the show that gives you a sense of what it's like. (I'm sure the clip will be taken down soon.)

I watched "Inside" a second time the next night to see if it really was as great as I thought it was. (I never do that.) For me, the second viewing was even better.

I've read a lot of "it's a masterpiece" reviews but I couldn't find a negative one (yet).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2021 3:39 PM

Another YouTube clip not long for this world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2021 3:41 PM

His real name is Robert. That signals 'douche'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2021 4:05 PM

R12 don't you know, the DL doesn't like good guys.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2021 4:14 PM

Netflix released one clip today on Youtube, so at least this one should stay up.

"FaceTime with My Mom Tonight"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2021 2:02 AM

The best song was "White Woman's Instagram". That was hilarious. Had me laughing out loud.

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2021 3:35 AM

Welcome to the Internet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2021 9:16 PM

I watched this today and was blown away. I’ve always dismissed Bo because he got his start on YouTube....he’s actually quite talented.

And as far as looks go, he’s just my type (tall, dark hair, blue eyes)

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2021 11:57 PM

DL content from "Inside" (not intentional on Bo's part)-

Opening song:

[quote] Daddy made you your favorite (content) . Open wide. Here comes the content.

From the song, "I'm Turning Thirty"

[quote] I'm turning thirty (Turning thirty, turning thirty) [quote] And now my stupid friends are having stupid children [quote] My stupid friends are having stupid children [quote] My stupid friends are having stupid children [quote] Stupid, fucking ugly, boring children

by Anonymousreply 23June 6, 2021 10:47 PM

It is a work of genius.

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2021 5:41 PM

Stunning and brave

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2021 5:53 PM

Bo gives me hope that at least some small part of the next generation won't suck.

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2021 6:20 PM

He has about 22 reviews and 100% rating on Rottentomatoes for Inside. "Masterpiece" is a term used more here than I've seen it in reviews lately.

This from Slate

[quote] When your show's premise is tap dancing over an abyss, you have to be a spectacular tap dancer, and fortunately, Burnham is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2021 6:24 PM

I stumbled across this guy on YT about 10 years ago and his big claim to fame at the time was his "My Whole Family Thinks I'm Gay" video. His humor was, and still is, witty and intelligent. And, as people have mentioned, he is talented.

I'm looking forward to watching "Inside" immediately after this post. A great way to spend Tuesday evening...inside.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2021 12:29 AM

I'm found about this guy on YT about 10 years ago, and his claim to fame at that time was his "My Whole Family Thinks I'm Gay" video. His humor is sophisticated, witty and intelligent.

I'm looking forward to watching it immediately after this post. It'll be a great way to spend a Tuesday evening...inside.

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2021 12:32 AM

^^ Oops, sorry for the double post. DL gave me a message saying "can't post message", so I typed it again and posted.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2021 12:35 AM

He is cute. His hair doesn’t look particularly dark, though. Looks like dark blond or light brown.

Tim Dillon had a funny bit about Burnham and his white guilt. “I’m an asshole for taking this paycheck from Netflix, but I’m doing it anyway.”

I haven’t seen the special. My first thought is, why was he so isolated? Was he quarantining for 15 months? Because that’s a really extreme Covid experience, if so. Maybe you didn’t party with your homies, or French kiss strangers, and you had to wear a mask in stores and other public places but... it’s not like we were all forced to stay inside alone for 15 months because the air was radioactive or something.

But maybe I should watch the special first. It just seems like that’s what his experience was, based on all the promotional material I’ve seen, and a couple clips and reviews.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2021 12:41 AM

Very attractive with the long hair and beard.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2021 12:53 PM

I would like Bo Burnham Inside me.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2021 12:57 PM

Maybe he's a DLer. He mentions "straining your pasta" in his ditty about the internet from the film.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2021 1:33 PM

I can't believe he's 6'5" ... SWOON!

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2021 2:23 PM

R35 I love those tall lanky ones.

And if he's packing....double swoon!

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2021 2:27 PM

R36, in "Inside" he's in his underwear a lot, and there's definitely impressive VPL going on there.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2021 2:28 PM

All the songs contained in "Inside" have been released by Bo as an album on Spotify and other music streaming services as of Thursday, 6/10/21.

by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2021 4:09 AM

If you are totally unfamiliar with Burnham's work, i wouldn't start here. Check out his last special and/or the one before that. Then watch this. Work your way backwards if you like his stuff. He's a brilliant human and a funny comedian and a decent musician, but this is a very specific work created by pandemic limitations. Under any circumstance, you'll appreciate it more if you see what he's capable of in a regular act, not while he's trying to make art stuck alone in an empty room

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2021 5:04 AM

I still don’t understand why he was “stuck alone in an empty room” making this.

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2021 3:15 PM

[quote] I still don’t understand why he was “stuck alone in an empty room” making this.

I'm concerned this will become a popular trend with production companies since it drastically cuts production costs. Like lock Meryl Streep in a broom closet with an iPhone and let her out when you get Art.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2021 3:30 PM

He probably wasn't R40.

by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2021 5:28 PM

I know people who have basically quarantined themselves for the last 15 months out of paranoia or…whatever motivates them. Watched this and thought it was good. My favorite was him doing commentary on Unpaid Intern. Very funny.

by Anonymousreply 43June 12, 2021 5:33 PM

But is his Netflix special supposed to be a realistic representation of what his pandemic experience was?

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2021 5:41 PM

I'm not ready yet. I am not into watching anything pandemic related. It's a turn off, but this does look interesting.

by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2021 5:49 PM

Screenshot of vpl please

by Anonymousreply 46June 12, 2021 6:00 PM

R40, I think you're taking things too literally and thus reaching a false conclusion about Burnham's "documentary". It's unlikely that he spent the entirety of the pandemic completely confined to his home, never leaving the confines thereof, or never having visitors.

Like many people, he probably adhered to the lockdowns mandated by the CA state government as much as possible, venturing into public spaces only if absolutely necessary. People really had no idea how bad the pandemic might get, and subsequent surges made people even more fearful, which motivated them to isolate even further, which it seems he may have done.

The premise of the documentary is basically that of someone with an enormous amount of free time on their hands as a result of self-isolation, being alone with their thoughts, and passing the time in a way that is central to their nature. That is, extreme self-indulgence into their creative energy and making a film in the context of an unprecedented time in modern history.

by Anonymousreply 47June 12, 2021 6:54 PM

He didn’t have a girlfriend who would come over and fuck him? I don’t know anyone his age who isolated to that extent. I’ll watch his special for the VPL, but I maintain the premise is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 48June 12, 2021 7:19 PM

[quote] But is his Netflix special supposed to be a realistic representation of what his pandemic experience was?

Of course not. His loose assemblage of somewhat random elements is neither loose, not random, not something that grew organically. It's carefully plotted, with lots of careful references to his earlier work.

There's a long and richly detailed analysis at the link that suggests it's a realistic representation only not of his pandemic experience but if history of a pandemic experience. More true than the truth, you could say.

Even the set turns fake at the end where he exits through a too tiny door to enter the outside world. It's not the outside world that's big, it's the Inside?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 12, 2021 8:38 PM

Excellent assessment R47. Nice to read something intelligent after the bewildered musings of some nitwit who just didn't get the point.

by Anonymousreply 50June 13, 2021 10:44 AM

I was so excited to watch this. It got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. I made the popcorn and poured a glass of Chardonnay. 20 minutes in I turned it off. And I’m a creative, intelligent person. It just didn’t resonate with me. Or maybe I’m just over all the woke culture.

by Anonymousreply 51June 13, 2021 1:22 PM

Yeah, "I'm just over woke culture" as a reason is a red flag on you, not on the show. Jesus, WTF is wrong with you when THAT is your reaction.

by Anonymousreply 52June 13, 2021 5:42 PM

TOTALLY R52. It reeks of Trumpian brainwashing. "Woke" is Fox news' word of the decade. The second I see that word the post loses credibility.

by Anonymousreply 53June 14, 2021 10:10 AM

This is all very interesting but could someone please post the underwear, package and VPL shots mentioned by OP?

by Anonymousreply 54June 14, 2021 10:39 AM

His "What" special was about 8 years ago when he was 22 years old. Even then you had an idea about how big he could be. He did all the offscreen character voices in this finale song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 14, 2021 11:05 PM

I can't remember the last time I thought something was truly brilliant, but this special is. It's spectacular and he is an amazingly talented person. I've enjoyed his work in the past but this is next level. He has the talent to write a musical.

by Anonymousreply 56June 15, 2021 10:36 PM

I feel the same, R56. It's brilliant and courageous.

by Anonymousreply 57June 21, 2021 11:19 PM

I love it. He's not wearing any makeup. And he still looks good. I've laughed out loud a few times.

by Anonymousreply 58June 24, 2021 4:27 AM

I loved it. The only shitty things I've heard about it are my washed up musician friends who about 10 years older and just seething with jealously. The songs are so catchy, I keep singing them. I'm watching it again tonight.

by Anonymousreply 59June 24, 2021 6:47 PM

There is plenty to see on a second viewing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2021 7:20 PM

It's a work of art, funny and daring, sad and true, and I hope Bo never lets other people meddle in his projects.

by Anonymousreply 61June 27, 2021 6:34 PM

R55 That video’s really cute. He’s talented.

by Anonymousreply 62July 1, 2021 5:09 PM

He made me ruin my panties

by Anonymousreply 63July 1, 2021 5:17 PM

The 2021 Emmy Nominations for Inside, each for Bo since he did everything in this special:

Outstanding Directing For A Variety Special

Outstanding Picture Editing For Variety Programming

Outstanding Music Direction

Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics

Outstanding Variety Special (Pre-Recorded)

Outstanding Writing For A Variety Special

by Anonymousreply 64July 13, 2021 4:23 PM

R64 Pretty impressive list of nominations.

I knew him as director of the pretty brilliant movie Eighth Grade... and I liked his acting turn in the uneven Promising Young Woman... but I wasn't prepared for how unique this is. It's more performance art than variety special, though it is truly entertaining. Among all his skills - his songwriting, as if Tom Lehrer was writing lyrics for The Smiths.

by Anonymousreply 65July 13, 2021 5:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 13, 2021 7:51 PM

Recently I watched the entire run of Parks and Recreation for the first time and was surprised to see Bo making a guest appearance as a deranged YouTube singer.

by Anonymousreply 67July 13, 2021 8:03 PM

I love him. His girlfriend is 12 years older than him

by Anonymousreply 68July 13, 2021 10:25 PM

Buzzfeed irritates the FUCK out of me sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 69July 14, 2021 11:58 AM

Silly people. It's a poioumenon! From Business Insider: "Burnham makes it clear that "Inside" is a poioumenon — a type of artistic work that tells the story of its own creation."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 14, 2021 12:26 PM

Who? Who’s the shill who keeps trying to make this guy happen here?!

by Anonymousreply 71July 14, 2021 12:55 PM

Not a shill. Just found the special to be amazing, almost profound.

by Anonymousreply 72July 14, 2021 2:33 PM

R71 I think you're losing this battle.

R70 Rather from a post-modern perspective, nothing is not meta-communicative. All art is about making art.

by Anonymousreply 73July 14, 2021 2:45 PM

"Inside" was exceptionally engaging

by Anonymousreply 74July 14, 2021 3:02 PM

I heard he was just Laura Dern in drag.

by Anonymousreply 75July 14, 2021 3:16 PM

I loved it. So funny and smart and self-knowing and then aware of self-awareness. I fucking love this guy. A real artist, this one.

by Anonymousreply 76July 18, 2021 3:59 PM

R76 You need to simmer down!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 18, 2021 4:03 PM

[quote] Who’s the shill who keeps trying to make this guy happen here?!

The list of shills trying to make Bo Burnham happen now includes the audience.

Billboard.com-

[quote] Bo Burnham's 'Inside (The Songs)' Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard Comedy Albums Chart

also-

[quote] Inside (The Songs) is currently in its fifth week inside the top 10 on the Billboard 200. It has climbed as high as No. 7 (on the chart dated June 26).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 30, 2021 3:20 AM

R67. I loved that spot on Parks Rec. first time I ever saw him. Plays an asshole YouTube country singer who is all “God Bless America” on camera and then a MASSIVE asshole to his dad and everyone off camera. It was perfection. Worth a search

by Anonymousreply 79July 31, 2021 8:14 PM

He's so hot, so smart, so talented, and SO TALL. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 80August 1, 2021 7:05 PM

Still waiting for the VPL pics. Cut or uncut? Hung?

by Anonymousreply 81August 1, 2021 7:51 PM

Derivative and smarmy and douchey.

No thanks.

Also, not at all attractive.

by Anonymousreply 82August 1, 2021 9:09 PM

Derivative of whom?

by Anonymousreply 83August 2, 2021 2:27 PM

R83 R82 Right, I guess I can understand someone who thinks Burnham is not your cup of tea, but he's original by all measures. Last thing I'd say to describe him is derivative.

by Anonymousreply 84August 2, 2021 2:30 PM

If you don't like Bo Burnham, I would love to hear a recommendation of someone who is funny and musically talented. There's nothing else written about the pandemic that I think will last on its own merits as worth revisiting, except maybe the essay called I Don’t Know How To Explain To You That You Should Care About Other People.

by Anonymousreply 85August 2, 2021 2:34 PM

Stating this work is "derivative" is the stupidest thing I have read on here in a while, and that is really saying something. You might not like it (which is also a reflection on you), but not acknowledging the originality of it is just a very poor reflection on you.

by Anonymousreply 86August 2, 2021 2:42 PM

Just watched this special. What exactly is so original about it? The “trapped in one room alone for months on end like a prisoner” idea?

His songs come off like musical theater (his singing is certainly exactly that). The humor is not particularly advanced or edgy. He had some moments of cleverness, but overall this seems like it would appeal to basic people. It’s like a feature-length SNL skit with no restrictions on profanity.

His bulge was fairly impressive, and I would bet his erect penis is XL if not XXL.

by Anonymousreply 87August 3, 2021 4:07 AM

Watched it again. Still brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 88August 17, 2021 2:57 PM

I watched it for 4th time the other day and I feel it just gets better. Again, I'd love for its detractors to name something that they do like. I'm kind of interested in a that hates this. The only people I know who bagged it are frustrated local musicians who peaked 15 years ago and know that they'll never produce, let alone be involved in something this good.

by Anonymousreply 89August 17, 2021 3:03 PM

I'm in love with Bo Burnham. He's my next husband, so detach your talons, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 90August 17, 2021 3:44 PM

Nope. He's mine. I'd be okay if he had a micropenis, but he doesn't. But I'd still be okay with a micropenis

by Anonymousreply 91August 17, 2021 4:15 PM

I adore him. I'm going to watch it again

by Anonymousreply 92August 18, 2021 4:45 AM

Someone posted the audience reaction to "All Eyes on Me" when "Inside" played in select movie theaters last month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 18, 2021 4:59 AM

This is apparently a picture of Bo (posted on his Instagram page) stealthily watching "Inside" in some theater with an audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 18, 2021 5:02 AM

My immediate impression of "All Eyes on Me" was that it sounded like the best Kanye West song I've heard since the last time I felt like listening to him, which was at least ten years ago (that is intended as a compliment).

by Anonymousreply 95August 18, 2021 5:13 AM

Also, I hope this doesn't mean Bo will eventually end up married to a reality TV sex doll, supporting a Wal-Mart fascist for president, and finding Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 96August 18, 2021 5:22 AM

The very definition of pretentious

by Anonymousreply 97August 18, 2021 5:36 AM

Finally watched Inside. It's good. But I don't think it's anything mind blowing. He's social commentary is pretty basic. Frankly, I've heard more biting stuff here.

I will say White Woman's Instagram was very effective. The bridge of the song? When the Insta poster talks about her dead mom? That's what made the song for me.

It's super easy to make fun of social media poster's love of avocados, latte art, etc. But under the boring ennui of most insta posters (who usually don't realize this) is a deep need to connect with the world, to express their personal sorrows, loss of hopes, and by doing so, even in their often clunky ways, the poster somehow gets some sort of psychic relief.

Bo did a great job illustrating this. And the song was catchy as hell!

by Anonymousreply 98August 18, 2021 6:27 AM

[quote] But I don't think it's anything mind blowing.

I try to understand his achievement by thinking of another person who could have done it. All that person would need to do is write the comedy, compose the music and lyrics, perform the comedy and music and play all the instruments, set up all the shots and lighting, work the camera, and edit it on the computer. One person. Who else today could have done this and come up with a result that some are calling "brilliant" and a "masterpiece?" I can think of many groups of people, 2 or more, that may have all the skills to produce something link this, but just one person?

The closest I can come up with is Seth Macfarlane, although I don't know if he could have edited it by himself or worked all the camera setups, or maybe the South Park boys, but there are 2 of them, so they don't count. The skills Bo possesses may be common among a select few YouTube content creators, but they may not have the talent or they may not have enough experience to produce something at this level, at least not anytime soon.

The idea that it's hard to think of anyone else who could do all this alone and make the project interesting and compelling IS kind of mind-blowing.

by Anonymousreply 99August 19, 2021 3:29 AM

I want to see inside of Bo Burnham.

by Anonymousreply 100August 19, 2021 3:32 AM

R99, so you're saying he's productive, not inventive

Exactly

by Anonymousreply 101August 19, 2021 5:06 AM

Bo Burnham, the Dane Cook of the 2010's?

by Anonymousreply 102August 19, 2021 5:30 AM

Christ, he's way more inventive than anyone else I can think of. Pretty much ever. And r102, it's the 2020's and Dane Cook wishes he had the talent of one of Bo's farts. Shit, Dane wishes he had the talent of one of Ralphie Mays' farts.

by Anonymousreply 103August 19, 2021 5:47 AM

R99, I think what you're saying is that he's the jack of all trades and the master of none.

I'm a part time musician. His compositions are very, very simple. His voice is good for sure. But his melodies are just standard pop stuff. Nothing bad at all. I liked a lot of them.

But songs with the hand puppet. Simple melody. And most of the lyrics (from the sock) you could find scrolling through SJW twitter. He didn't expound on it. Or make it into something bigger or funnier or more depressing. He didn't really twist the knife. At least for me.

In terms of filming production? Anybody with an iphone could have done what he did. Again, I don't want to sound like a hater. I'm not at all. And he DID DO IT. And that is more than most. But it just felt sort of meh for me. With all the praise, I was expecting more.

You brought up Seth MacFarlane. Now that is somebody who, when he's on, actually does write and perform biting social commentary through song, comedy, and (sometimes) brilliant satire. He might be stale these days, but in his prime he was able create and parlay ideas that were inventive, fresh, cutting and very, very funny.

Bo isn't quite on that level for me.

by Anonymousreply 104August 19, 2021 7:15 AM

^^Sorry for typos^^

by Anonymousreply 105August 19, 2021 7:17 AM

And when Michelangelo had the statue of "The David" moved from his workshop to the town square, little peasants with little hands threw little stones at it along the way.

by Anonymousreply 106August 19, 2021 1:00 PM

R104 is literally the guy r84 said he'd be.

by Anonymousreply 107August 19, 2021 1:07 PM

MacFarlane is funny in an adolescent "heh heh I made a naughty" way. But there is very little there, there.

by Anonymousreply 108August 19, 2021 1:55 PM

I know, imagine thinking Seth is more talented than Bo. I think the only way for Bo win over these frustrated musicians is to do some full blown musical live with a giant orchestra. And when I say win over, I mean kill themselves out of jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 109August 19, 2021 2:47 PM

R101, you don't think that entire show is INVENTIVE and CREATIVE? WTF is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 110August 19, 2021 2:56 PM

[quote]Anybody with an iphone could have done what he did.

This is laughably false and a completely absurd assertion.

by Anonymousreply 111August 19, 2021 2:58 PM

This video attempts to explain how Burnham made the major shots in Inside, and also explains how he used some of the equipment and lighting which he probably purchased from Amazon (🎵Jef-frey Be-zos, 🎵Jef-frey Be-zos, 🎵....)

The camera was probably the most expensive piece of equipment used to create the special, and it wasn't an iPhone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 19, 2021 4:03 PM

The truth is anybody could've done it. But he was the one who rolled up his sleeves and set everything up.

It's not just about coming up with ideas and songs, it's about the courage to ignore the inner Margaret White "Everybody will laugh at you!" voice and find ways to execute your vision.

by Anonymousreply 113August 19, 2021 4:39 PM

[quote] The truth is anybody could've done it.

Anybody? What if you can't play even one instrument? What if you can't sing? What if you can't write music and lyrics or good comedy routines?

Anybody?

by Anonymousreply 114August 19, 2021 4:43 PM

R113 This is a version of the parent with the kid looking at an abstract expressionist picture in a museum, "Jeez, Junior YOU could paint that..."

by Anonymousreply 115August 19, 2021 5:06 PM

[quote] Anybody? What if you can't play even one instrument?

Excuses, excuses. Anybody can learn to play an instrument and be half way decent. The rest can be done with all kinds of software like autotune.

by Anonymousreply 116August 19, 2021 5:12 PM

R113, you are pathetic and delusional. Go back to your coloring book.

by Anonymousreply 117August 19, 2021 5:31 PM

r117, LOL. At least, according to you, I have a coloring book. What do you have? Excuses to not do something creative.

by Anonymousreply 118August 19, 2021 5:37 PM

R113, following your "logic" of "anyone could have done it," I'll hand you a box of oil paint and a brush and you can paint us the Mona Lisa. Do it, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 119August 19, 2021 5:46 PM

No, I just want R113 to write some song lyrics. Show us how easy it is.

by Anonymousreply 120August 19, 2021 6:20 PM

R116 is fucking delusional. And so is ANYONE who says ignorant dismissive shit like "The truth is anybody could've done it."

No, the truth is very, very few people could have pulled off something like this.

by Anonymousreply 121August 19, 2021 6:28 PM

ANYONE can do it. Just not on the first day. That was the point. None of you guys are even trying. Making up all kinds of excuses for not even trying.

It's like losers complaining about Hollywood only releasing shitty reboots, remakes and comic book adaptations. It's easier to complain and whine than do something. And ignoring the fact that people getting rich for being mediocre. Anybody can do mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 122August 19, 2021 7:08 PM

[quote] Anybody can do mediocre.

Adding to that, anybody can do mediocre and still people need to come up for excuses to even try to be mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 123August 19, 2021 7:10 PM

I like this mash of Bo Burnham and Bowie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 19, 2021 7:10 PM

Link didn't work.

Here it is

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 19, 2021 7:11 PM

I wish he'd whipped his pants down and showed us his big hairy dick!

by Anonymousreply 126August 19, 2021 7:26 PM

His girlfriend is really talented in her own right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 19, 2021 7:28 PM

Holy shit, that's his girlfriend? And they've been together for over 10 years!

by Anonymousreply 128August 19, 2021 8:30 PM

(rolling eyes at the clueless idiots who are still claiming anyone could have done this...)

by Anonymousreply 129August 20, 2021 1:55 AM

His comedy isn’t that particular funny or edgy (Tim Dillon is better, but then Dillon is funnier than EVERY current comedian), and his songs are indeed basic compositions.

I get the impression that the people who are bowled over by ‘Inside’ are the sort of people who really enjoy musical theater, cabaret, and Broadway productions.

Burnam doesn’t write songs that I would ever want to listen to, and his comedy isn’t particularly funny. Sorry—I don’t know what else to say.

by Anonymousreply 130August 20, 2021 2:09 AM

I still don't see their lyrics. I'm looking forward to seeing what new rhymes they make with father. Fresh rhymes. Anyone can do it!

by Anonymousreply 131August 20, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote] Tim Dillon is better, but then Dillon is funnier than EVERY current comedian), and his songs are indeed basic compositions.

I hadn't seen Tim Dillon's comedy, but I found this "Best of Tim Dillon" on Youtube. It even starts out with an original song, "Arabs and Jews", that Dillon composes and sings. So, like Bo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 20, 2021 3:04 AM

Oh my god, he's fucking TERRIBLE, R132

by Anonymousreply 133August 20, 2021 3:35 AM

Bo is much cuter too than this person

by Anonymousreply 134August 20, 2021 8:13 AM

If I wanted to be fair to Tim Dillon (and I really don't), I would say that he occupies a different comedy space than Bo Burnham. He's more like a Jeff Ross's gay shameless son persona.

The one thing Dillion is doing that is really good: he's out and makes it a part of his act. A number of younger comics are doing this, too, and every bit helps.

by Anonymousreply 135August 20, 2021 8:20 PM

That was actually sad. I think Tim would agree that he's no Bo Burnhamn.

by Anonymousreply 136August 20, 2021 9:32 PM

Thank fucking *god* Tim is “no Bo Burnhamn.”

Anyway, his PODCAST is where he really shines. You can’t judge him by a couple dumb video skits on YouTube—he even admits they’re dumb. I know it’s easier to watch a brief clip than to give him the same amount of consideration you’ve given to Burnham, but his off the cuff takes on podcasts are brilliant, and he is more incisive than any other comic currently working, certainly Bo Burnham. Nothing is scripted—he just rants about current topics for an hour and ties it all together at the end, effortlessly, with no planning. His humor is dark as fuck, and hilarious as hell. I have laughed so hard at his podcast episodes that I’ve gotten stomach aches, headaches, laughed til I cried, laughed so hard I almost puked. He’s *that* kind of comedian.

Yes, thank god he’s no Bo Burnham.

I haven’t seen his stand-up sets but he’s playing the NY Comedy Festival in Nov. and I hope to go.

by Anonymousreply 137August 21, 2021 2:01 AM

For the record it's quite ok to like both Burnhan and Dillon. Liking one doesn't diminish the other. They are different kinds of comics, really. Burnham is more of performance artist. Dillion is ... well, an outrage guerilla thespian.

by Anonymousreply 138August 21, 2021 2:49 AM

Dillon is a comedian who has the best podcast. He’s a comedian in the classic sense. What Burnham does (or has done recently) is more in the tradition of musical comedy theater and cabaret. Something you’d see at Joe’s Pub.

Liking one does not diminish the other, but anyone who prefers Burnham over Dillon is a fuddy-duddy, and possibly a basic bitch.

by Anonymousreply 139August 21, 2021 2:53 AM

Fuddy-duddy?

R139 - lives in assisted living where the aides makes sure they are in his room for the Dillon podcasts.

by Anonymousreply 140August 21, 2021 2:56 AM

R139 here. I’m 42. I was referring the kind of people who think Burnham’s style and approach is preferable to Dillon’s caustic, offensive-to-certain-people brand of humor.

My boyfriend does assist with my laundry sometimes, and I have made him listen to Tim on occasion, so you got that part sort of correct, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 141August 21, 2021 3:01 AM

Just watched it for the second time this afternoon.

I still think it's freakin' brilliant, and there's no fucking way "anybody" could have done what he did in this special. The details, the visuals and imagery, the music, the lyrics, and just how the whole thing is put together.

It really is genius. Suck it.

by Anonymousreply 142August 23, 2021 2:34 AM

You’re just easily impressed and have soft tastes, R142. It’s okay.

by Anonymousreply 143August 23, 2021 2:37 AM

I have no idea who the Tim comedian is, I couldn't accomplish half of "Inside" with a gun to my head and an extra year, but i do think BB is a little overrated. He's not dumb, and the songs aren't shit, there's a cleverness there etc. he's not a meathead. But he's not the subversive genius everyone is currently saying he is.

by Anonymousreply 144August 23, 2021 2:50 AM

No, R143, that's not actually it.

I'm going to guess you didn't even bother watching it, or if you did, you didn't really pay attention while it was on.

by Anonymousreply 145August 23, 2021 3:35 AM

Bo Burnham leaves HBO series about the LA Lakers according to Variety 8/20/21:

[quote] The untitled HBO series about the Los Angeles Lakers has added five to its cast, with Bo Burnham also exiting the series.

[quote] It was reported in March that Burnham had been cast in the role of Celtics legend Larry Bird. According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, Burnham is no longer involved with the project due to scheduling conflicts.

by Anonymousreply 146August 24, 2021 3:53 AM

(or panic attacks)

by Anonymousreply 147August 24, 2021 6:47 AM

Bo was really good in Promising Young Woman

by Anonymousreply 148August 24, 2021 4:47 PM

Dammit, I was looking forward to him running around in 70's short shorts

by Anonymousreply 149August 24, 2021 5:40 PM

Bo Burnham Wins Big at the Hollywood Critics Association TV Awards for ‘Inside’

[quote] Burnham took home the award for Best Streaming Sketch Series, Variety Series, Talk Show, or Comedy/Variety Special for Inside.

[quote] Along with the win for Inside, he won the first ever Virtuoso Award for his previous work, including his comedy and filmmaking.

Along with his win in that category, he was also awarded the honorary Virtuoso Award.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150September 1, 2021 8:31 PM

Some of his facial expressions and verbal expressions were so precise and perfect, and the one in R150 is one example. I've seen that expression on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 151September 2, 2021 12:56 PM

[quote] Burnham took home the award for Best Streaming Sketch Series, Variety Series, Talk Show, or Comedy/Variety Special for Inside.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. We hate him now.

by Anonymousreply 152September 2, 2021 1:14 PM

"We hate him now."

No, he's still heterosexual which means Datalounge is still a fan. If you want to see hate for this guy on this website, wait until he comes out as gay.

by Anonymousreply 153September 2, 2021 1:39 PM

Bo Burnham just won 3 Emmy Awards for "Inside" at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards. He is up for one more award next week at the Primetime Emmys for Outstanding Variety Special (Pre-Recorded).

[quote] The comedian's wrenchingly relatable comedy special picked up three awards — for variety special writing, music direction, and directing (beating out Spike Lee who helmed David Byrne's American Utopia) — at Sunday's Creative Arts Emmy Awards, marking Burnham's first Emmy win(s). The special also received nominations for its editing and original music and lyrics, and is up for Outstanding Variety Special (Pre-Recorded) at next weekend's Primetime Emmys ceremony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 13, 2021 2:30 AM

I still can't believe he lost out on the main, big, Emmy for the show overall to a recording of Hamilton! It isn't like that was developed for the screen.

by Anonymousreply 155September 21, 2021 2:02 PM

Right? Hamilton shouldn't have even qualified, let alone won. Inside totally deserved that win.

by Anonymousreply 156September 21, 2021 2:59 PM

I bet he had a good laugh about it tho. And my theory if only frustrated musicians hating it has held fast. I always ask, "what do you play."

by Anonymousreply 157September 21, 2021 3:14 PM

Bo at the Emmys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 21, 2021 6:11 PM

God, he's a tall drink of dick.

by Anonymousreply 159November 26, 2021 2:39 PM

Tall talented introverts make me swoon.

by Anonymousreply 160November 26, 2021 9:36 PM

I watched this last night, transfixed, and will watch it again. Simply brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 161November 27, 2021 1:42 AM

I watched it again. It really is good.

by Anonymousreply 162December 9, 2021 4:25 AM

I watched Inside for the third time today. It gets better with each viewing. His White Woman's Instagram and Welcome to The Internet are among the best performances I've seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 163January 28, 2022 1:54 AM

It deserved to win the damn Emmy, dammit.

by Anonymousreply 164January 29, 2022 12:07 AM

The Director Guild Award nominees for film and television were announced last week, and Bo Burnham was nominated for "Inside" in the Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Variety/Talk/News/Sports – Specials category.

In 2019, he won the DGA's "Outstanding Directing- First-Time Feature Film" for his film "Eighth Grade". He also won Best Original Screenplay for "Eighth Grade" awarded by the Writers Guild of America. Despite winning both these awards, "Eighth Grade" received no Oscar nominations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165February 1, 2022 12:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!