Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why I Won't Wear A Face Mask When Broadway Re-Opens By Deidre Hall

I believe that Broadway is not a forum to make a political statement. However, I have not objected when fellow Broadway patrons have worn a face mask for their own health; that's their choice. My choice is NOT to wear a face mask.

Soap Opera Digest readers should know wearing a face mask is no longer entirely voluntary. Ushers who began by offering face masks now resort to extreme tactics in pursuit of their express goal of 100 percent conformity. When a theatergoer arrives at the door, individuals who attempt to place face masks on them accost them. A Broadway patron who declines may be accosted during intermission, again while waiting in line for the bathroom and again upon exiting the theater.

Offering these face masks to theatergoers was, in my view, a benign and pro-social act. On the other hand, aggressively badgering Broadway patrons to compel the wearing of face masks is no only demeaning to Covid19 victims and to the desperate need for an all-out research war against the disease, but an offense against personal freedom.

By attempting to force 100 percent conformity, these activists are now attempting to make the face mask a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with COVID19 victims and support COVID19 research from those who do not. This is a misguided and dangerous notion.

First, it misguidedly politicizes human tragedy. These face masks provide a means by which public figures can appear to make a 'politically correct' statement in favor of a cause they do not support.

Second, any attempt to force conformity to a single social agenda attacks the freedom of expression. The extreme activities that resort to harassment to compel the public to wear these face masks are practicing a 2020 brand of McCarthyism and their behavior is deplorable. Our community was devastated by political extremists in the 1950s and again became a target during the last presidential campaign. It surpasses belief that men and women would resort to shameful practices that the enemies of artistic freedom have used against us.

Sadly, it falls to some of us who ardently support COVID19 victims and COVID19 research to resist these tactics by personal example. Believe me, the easy way out would be to put the face mask on and keep silent. But I won't, because I don't want these appalling tactics to succeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 13, 2022 12:36 AM

Legend???? Really? News to me.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2021 12:08 AM

Ugh this fucking Trumper.

She reminds me of Mary Hart.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2021 12:08 AM

What about a merkin, Dee?

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2021 12:13 AM

What a bimbo.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2021 12:19 AM

She’s just a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2021 12:23 AM

Why can't actors accept what they are and what they're not.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2021 12:23 AM

Actors are Everymen.

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2021 12:24 AM

Since when was this stupid cunt welcome anywhere near Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2021 12:28 AM

[quote] Since when was this stupid cunt welcome anywhere near Broadway?

as long as you can buy a ticket, you are welcome

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2021 12:33 AM

She's always been a stuck up little cunt. Fuck her, and I hope she catches COVID.

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2021 1:09 AM

Is this why Chad Allen now works in the mental health field?

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2021 1:36 AM

Dee wants her stance known before she attends the Tony Awards later this year

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2021 1:40 AM

As soon as this moronic cunt starts comparing anything, especially mask-wearing, to McCarthyism, you know they drank the far-right Kool-Aid. I hate that half of the country is full of moronic fascists.

by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2021 1:48 AM

Um, you all realize this is a joke post, applying Hall’s stance on having to wear the AIDS ribbon in the early ‘90s, & switching it to face masks?

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2021 4:32 AM

R14 so would you wear a mask to a Broadway show?

by Anonymousreply 15May 31, 2021 2:49 PM

[Quote] so would you wear a mask to a Broadway show?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 16May 31, 2021 2:53 PM

Dee Halls is the gift that keeps on giving.

by Anonymousreply 17May 31, 2021 2:58 PM

Only way this old hag gets on Broadway is if the taxi drops her there. Legend? In her own QAnon mind maybe. Fuck this bitch screaming freedom from masks as if she is somehow immune to a virus that’s killed millions? Dear Covid Hansen, please take Deidre Hall , the legend in her own mind, from us. We don’t need her. Sincerely , people who don’t fucking give a crap about what she says and wear masks.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2021 12:09 AM

Well! Bless all your hearts!

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2021 12:15 AM

She should start by making this speech in front of the theater where Plaza Suite with Sarah Jessica Parker will be starring in

That would garner headlines.

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2021 7:35 PM

Fans with AstraZeneca vaccine won’t get into ‘Springsteen on Broadway’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2021 3:56 PM

Deidre Hall takes issue on how Patti LuPone handled a "mask" issue at a recent performance of "Company"

by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2022 12:11 AM

Where did this joke come from? I know it is long running, but what started it?

by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2022 12:16 AM

R14 I'm guessing that clearly no one realized it.

The audience that still gets that joke numbers about 3 posters on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 24May 13, 2022 12:16 AM

R23 what joke? Deidre is serious

by Anonymousreply 25May 13, 2022 12:16 AM

[quote] Where did this joke come from? I know it is long running, but what started it?

Dee Dee Halls was mad that she got pressure from someone (who knows who) about wearing a red AIDS ribbon at some televised event. I guess it was implied that she didn't have a choice to wear it.

Ever since, DL'ers rewrite it for any and every possible scenario. It used to be a recognizable joke but since the original happened a long time ago, fewer posters are getting the joke.

by Anonymousreply 26May 13, 2022 12:18 AM

Almost 30 years ago now.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 13, 2022 12:20 AM

Omg! Thank you r26.

by Anonymousreply 28May 13, 2022 12:21 AM

who?

by Anonymousreply 29May 13, 2022 12:26 AM

Brave

by Anonymousreply 30May 13, 2022 12:31 AM

It stung coming from ElectraWoman. When I was small, I dreamt of being Gamma Boy, who would be accepted and join Electra and DynaGirl. and grow to sleep naked with Professor Heflin, who would become my boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 31May 13, 2022 12:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!