Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BIPOC, LGBTQ, etc---Who decides?

It's interesting to me how these acronyms suddenly emerge and everyone is just supposed to accept and use them.

BIPOC became popular this year. I guess Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, and Latinos just get lumped together as "People Of Color" even though there are more Latinos than Blacks. And what happened to "African American"?

Latinx suddenly showed up.

LGBT became LGBTQ. What does the Q even stand for?

Who decides? They seem to come down like some royal decree...but from where? I never got a poll.

by Anonymousreply 99June 2, 2021 12:25 AM

I do.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2021 9:08 PM

I know BIPOC is a thing, but I've barely seen it and don't know anyone who uses it regularly. My first thought is "Bisexual People of Color." Lol.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2021 9:13 PM

[quote] Who decides?

I asked this question at my state government Anti-Discrimination Board headquarters. They couldn't give me an answer.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2021 9:13 PM

I find it hilarious that most surveys will ask "What kind of Latino are you?" yet won't do the same for Caucasians who are even more culturally and ideologically diverse.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2021 9:25 PM

No one person. It's decided by anyone who makes a choice as to what to use. Obviously, there's small choices - like if you're writing in a comments sections, or bigger choices - like if you're the editor of a major newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2021 9:25 PM

R4 It's even more confusing because many Latinos self identify as white.

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2021 9:26 PM

bigots. the self appointed defenders of all those they deem their lessers. sjws

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2021 9:28 PM

Nikole Hannah-Jones does our thinking for us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2021 9:36 PM

WTF is BIPOC?

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2021 9:40 PM

BIPOC = Black, Indigenous, Person of Colour. Basically a way of minimizing and erasing Latinos, East Asians, South Asians/Indians, Pacific Islanders and Arabs by reducing their identity down to 3 letters. Now they know what it's like to be called "a member of the LGBTQI2S community".

"Oh yes, we employ several members of the BIPOC community, including Sandeep, Vijay and Xedong."

I know I've asked this question before and I've never received an answer, so I'll do it again: what exactly is a Queer, other than a pejorative for a gay male?

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2021 9:51 PM

r9 black person of color.... though for Americans it becomes more complicated, you can find out more the various colour, national, heritage, historical, lines that determine where people are on the regressive stack on lipstickalley

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2021 9:52 PM

If you ask me, they need to throw out the whole thing out and just start from scratch. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2021 9:54 PM

r10 it's an all inclusive.

decades prior it was for those that were triggered when g&l centers took community out of their name and started forming a more corporate, hollywood friendly image while tiptoeing around real issues in the community.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2021 9:54 PM

Whoever makes these decisions will change their mind in six years.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2021 10:02 PM

Yup. Take "Indigenous".

In Canada the term was, rightly or wrongly "Indian", or "Native Indian". Then it because "Native Canadian". Then "Aboriginal" or "Aboriginal Canadian". Then "First Nations". And now, based I think on United Nations' terminology, it's "Indigenous". Unless you happen to be what were once called Eskimos which have been Inuit for a while now.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2021 10:16 PM

Seriously, like who da fuck does the ASPCA think they are, OP?

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2021 10:19 PM

The Russian bot farms who are pushing these ideals on Western countries, so they fight within than rather than look out and find the real enemy.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2021 10:21 PM

These cumbersome acronyms are hopeless.

You can't speak them. You have to spell out the letters and normal speech turns into autistic speech.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2021 10:30 PM

If you just say a term over and over again in front of everyone, you'll make it happen eventually.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2021 10:31 PM

R18 That makes sense, most of the lot who obsess about this shit are autistic.

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2021 10:33 PM

[quote]What does the Q even stand for?

Qunt

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2021 10:33 PM

Does that mean that MTG and Lauren Boebert are LGBTQ, R21?

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2021 10:35 PM

I had to google BIOPIC. I had no idea what that was.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote] I had to google BIOPIC.

I hate biopics; they are usually fake and/or manipulative.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2021 11:25 PM

Bisexual PiCS are okay.

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2021 10:20 AM

BIPOC has been around in academia for a while now

Actually, I'd guess most of these acronyms start in academia

by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2021 10:25 AM

[quote]LGBT became LGBTQ. What does the Q even stand for?

LGBTQ has been around for a long time and was added to the GLAAD media style guide 5 years ago, if you don't know that the Q is "queer" or "questioning" then it's because you were deliberately not paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2021 12:57 PM

“Q” stands for “qunt”. That’s the more apt usage.

by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2021 12:59 PM

Another whiny old person whose offended by a changing world.

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2021 1:03 PM

[quote]Another whiny old person whose offended by a changing world.

Changing into what?

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2021 1:06 PM

[quote]whose

Who’s.

by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2021 1:08 PM

we need a BIOPIC on some well known BIPOC.

i joined a Native American gym for the summer. I wanted to ask the young studs at the front desk if they identified as BIPOC's?

by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2021 1:13 PM

Are Eskimo Pies now called Inuit Pies?

by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2021 1:16 PM

You're right, OP. These acronym categorizers are all FAHKH.

Especially the stinking cunts here who confuse hegemonist letter labeling with "youth."

First they want to be extremely precise about declaring who is in and who is out of their groupings, and then they announce they are not to be defined by others and demand their individual "category" of one be recognized and included.

Qunts - the Q is useful at both extreme ends of Social Authoritarianism.

And for the record I am all for the political strength that unity of purpose across groups can provide. But as a gay male I do not understand how asexual people have anything in common with me other than humanity. And I loathe the anti-trans nature of many threads that slide in to push right-wing and divisive motives.

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2021 1:18 PM

First Pies

by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2021 1:19 PM

AAPI is an acronym I hadn't heard of until a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 36May 28, 2021 1:20 PM

AAPI sounds like an insurance company in Hartford.

by Anonymousreply 37May 28, 2021 1:41 PM

I can’t wait for my first “AAPI” magazine.

by Anonymousreply 38May 28, 2021 1:45 PM

[quote]What does the Q even stand for?

Fat chicks with blue or pink hair, multiple piercings, and totally unfuckable by either men or women.

by Anonymousreply 39May 28, 2021 2:32 PM

R27: I don't support organizations that use hate speech.

by Anonymousreply 40May 28, 2021 2:37 PM

[quote] It's even more confusing because many Latinos self identify as white.

We'll be the judge of that.

by Anonymousreply 41May 28, 2021 2:42 PM

Anyone who isn't Black might just as well be just another racist white redneck.

by Anonymousreply 42May 28, 2021 2:48 PM

Many of them ARE white R41

There are plenty of people from South and Central America whose ancestors came from Germany, England, Ireland or Italy and have no indigenous ancestry.

Though given the tenacity to which the Poor White Trash on DL cling to their whiteness, there are likely many on here who will claim Giselle Bundchen is not white by dint of being born in Brazil.

by Anonymousreply 43May 28, 2021 2:55 PM

I will guarantee you that hundreds of years from now scholars will marvel over the fact that in 21st century America, "colored people" was considered an insult while "people of color" was considered proper form.

by Anonymousreply 44May 28, 2021 2:56 PM

I'm the UK they use BAME, which stands for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic.

by Anonymousreply 45May 28, 2021 2:56 PM

*In the UK, not I'm.

Damn autocorrect POS.

by Anonymousreply 46May 28, 2021 2:57 PM

R45 Not anymore, it's considered offensive now because it puts all minorities under one umbrella and takes away their cultural differences.

by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2021 2:59 PM

I refuse to be lumped in with self-loathing self-mutilators. Drop the T.

by Anonymousreply 48May 28, 2021 2:59 PM

R36: Living under a rock for the last 25 years

by Anonymousreply 49May 28, 2021 3:02 PM

At least under a rock you don't have to be bombarded with trannies and ads for [italic]Friends[/italic] reunions and [italic]Who's the Boss[/italic] reboots, the sort of things that make such igneous-based living options desirable in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 50May 28, 2021 3:07 PM

R4, that's because Latino isn't a race, it's an ethnicity, and such forms, such as the US Census, asks these questions, in tandem with household income, number of people in the household, etc., so that they can evaluate government programs and policies. Knowing if you are of French, British, Russian, or Albanian heritage isn't their focus, but being Latino or non-Latino is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 28, 2021 3:36 PM

Yet middle eastern people are othered in society even if English is their first language. Yet according to the census, they are white. Meanwhile, Latinos can pass for white and still identify themselves by their ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 52May 28, 2021 3:41 PM

The US Census race question, as I posted in R51, is an inconsistent mess though, because while they say that Hispanic/Latino isn't considered a race, the next question asks your race and then lists Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Native Hawaiian, etc., as if those were races! They should remove the term "race" if what they really want to know is your ethnic background or national origin.

by Anonymousreply 53May 28, 2021 3:58 PM

Over a decade ago, I was working for a municipal government channel and one of my assignment was to do write-ups for our new programs. A producer handed in an info segment on the LGBTQIA community, and a brief description of the content. Being an old school gay, I had no idea what QIA was and was shocked to hear the narrator and others in the video so casually use the word "queer." In my day, this word was offensive and I felt this might generate strong reactions from our viewers. After consulting with the station manager, for my write-up, I made no reference to "queer" and simply used LGBT. Today, "queer" has become so commonplace, that it's no longer controversial and it seems silly now how I reacted.

by Anonymousreply 54May 28, 2021 4:31 PM

Julianne Hough is now LGBTQ. The term has completely lost meaning.

by Anonymousreply 55May 28, 2021 4:33 PM

R52 Latino isn't a race or an ethnicity. It's a loosely defined linguistic and cultural category.

by Anonymousreply 56May 28, 2021 4:34 PM

Now we're being told to use "Filipinx," but no inhabitant of the Philippines uses that term. That is strictly American woke-ist terminology.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 28, 2021 4:41 PM

r34 the anti T brigade is largely far left.. it's rooted in 2nd wave feminism, among radical feminist ideology and political lesbians, which incidentally aren't very fond of actual lesbians and absolutely hate gay men. they've used the same rhetoric on trans that they did on gay men, hence their obsession with "trans women" rather than transmen. also, why feminists hound gay men to abandon gay rights to be feminists (claiming no other group has done more for every form of social justice than feminists, so you don't need it), while maintaining the same fraudlent history, just slightly revised to be more politically correct. kind of like how lgbt history before stonewall is ignored. stonewall being highlighted got coopted by marxists because it's the ideal fantasy of the 'workers' revolt. and you see how that one event creatures erasure in and of itself, let alone prior of history.

by Anonymousreply 58May 28, 2021 4:45 PM

Whoever it is I’m shocked they didn’t run it past you OP. You seem like an open-minded person with your finger on the pulse of acronymcentric thinking.

by Anonymousreply 59May 28, 2021 4:56 PM

[quote] Latino isn't a race or an ethnicity. It's a loosely defined linguistic and cultural category.

It means anyone who originates from Latin America, which is racially diverse. So no it's not a race but it is an ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 60May 28, 2021 5:00 PM

The truth is no one really cares if your country speaks Spanish or Portuguese. What they want to know is “are you brown?”

by Anonymousreply 61May 28, 2021 5:05 PM

R61 Exactly, I wish we could stop tiptoeing around the obvious instead of coming up with more obscure classifications.

by Anonymousreply 62May 28, 2021 5:06 PM

R14 - honey they will change it in 4 months. Summer is coming, the SJWS will get restless working from home...more idiotic acronyms are just around the corner and it gives them something to do and think about.

by Anonymousreply 63May 28, 2021 5:13 PM

[quote] was added to the GLAAD media style guide 5 years ago,

What if I don’t work in media and think GLAAD is useless? Hmm?

by Anonymousreply 64May 28, 2021 5:21 PM

[quote] Though given the tenacity to which the Poor White Trash on DL cling to their whiteness, there are likely many on here who will claim Giselle Bundchen is not white by dint of being born in Brazil.

She’s not WHITE white.

by Anonymousreply 65May 28, 2021 5:36 PM

[Quote] They should remove the term "race" if what they really want to know is your ethnic background or national origin.

Americans invented the concept of race. They were only thinking black or white at the time. Who know it would get so complicated

by Anonymousreply 66May 28, 2021 5:46 PM

R66 - as if racism didn't exist before even in antiquity.

by Anonymousreply 67May 28, 2021 6:00 PM

R66 It's complicated when you bring culture into it. Should the US be forced to give up it's culture to accommodate others who don't want to learn the native language or even adopt values which the rest of us take for granted? I see the issue of race and culture being blurred all the time. Black people did experience racism.

by Anonymousreply 68May 28, 2021 6:23 PM

R67, racism likely existed but the actual concept of human being from different races was created in America.

by Anonymousreply 69May 29, 2021 12:45 PM

[Quote] Should the US be forced to give up it's culture to accommodate others who don't want to learn the native language or even adopt values which the rest of us take for granted?

The question is what exactly is our native language. Huge swaths of The US originally spoke Spanish. Also are white Protestant values really “our values” by default?

by Anonymousreply 70May 29, 2021 12:47 PM

[quote] Also are white Protestant values really “our values” by default?

Yes. The Protestant work ethic made this country great. Look at the mess the Catholic countries created.

by Anonymousreply 71May 29, 2021 2:32 PM

[quote]The question is what exactly is our native language. Huge swaths of The US originally spoke Spanish.

Well, the US was founded on July 4, 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was signed. And the Declaration of Independence isn't written in Espanol.

by Anonymousreply 72May 29, 2021 2:37 PM

The shrillest decides. Just try saying you’re queer and sit back.

by Anonymousreply 73May 29, 2021 3:32 PM

[quote] the actual concept of human being from different races was created in America.

That sounds like a definitive statement.

Why don't you go further and name the American man who found this concept.

by Anonymousreply 74May 29, 2021 9:46 PM

I was just reading that there was a movement to get "S" added to LGBTQ for "straight". It would then be all-inclusive. Probably just trolling.

by Anonymousreply 75May 29, 2021 10:26 PM

Latinx is one nobody besides the wokiest ever uses.

by Anonymousreply 76May 29, 2021 10:46 PM

I wonder how people in the Philippines or even Filipino Americans react to the woke Nazis insisting on the use of Filipinx. I tried to use it with a Filipina coworker and she told me clearly that she didn't like the term and to refer to her as a Filipina instead. I wonder if the American and West European wokesters will also insist on changing Pinoy and Pinay to Pinxy now.

by Anonymousreply 77May 30, 2021 7:37 AM

In a work event for the LGBTQ alliance the HR woman kept referring to me as a queer man. I firmly cut in, told her I found the term offensive and that I am a gay man. I suspect I won't be getting invited to any of their future events from now on, especially after I also told them what I thought about last year's event.

by Anonymousreply 78May 30, 2021 7:40 AM

R78 - hisssss!

by Anonymousreply 79May 30, 2021 8:09 AM

Latinx and BIPOC are terms that academia made up, like "African-American" and LGBT before them and many others.

Sometimes these terms stick because the communities they describe adopt them. But many many people within the Latin and black/indigenous communities have very valid critiques of these terms. A big one for Latinx is that you can't say it in Spanish which is ridiculous. It's supposed to be a non gendered version of Latino/a but it's not pronounceable in the native language of many people in the community it describes. "Latine" has already been given as an alternative, and some people just settle for "Latin."

BIPOC is unusable because also means bi people of color and you can't say it out loud.

Language is like this. New terms and slang and zeitgeist colloquialisms are always popping up. Sometimes they stick and sometimes they don't. But to answer the OP's question of where they come from, the answer in all these cases is academia.

by Anonymousreply 80May 30, 2021 8:31 AM

I made the grave mistake of thinking BIPOC meant Bisexual person of color. Gasp!

by Anonymousreply 81May 30, 2021 8:56 AM

R77

A woman of Philippine origin once told me that she had only run across the term Filipina later in life; she considered the term Filipino to be gender-neutral, including a group of women as Filipinos.

by Anonymousreply 82May 30, 2021 11:58 AM

[Quote] Yes. The Protestant work ethic made this country great. Look at the mess the Catholic countries created.

Um, the Protestant ethic brought us slavery to do all the work. Now, it makes salaried workers work themselves to the bone while the fat cats are busy counting their money.

America great? What made it a powerful mover of the world economy is that we have 300 million (mainly middle class) consumers. Now that China and India have that while the rich are killing our middle class, they greatness is going fast.

by Anonymousreply 83May 30, 2021 12:49 PM

[quote]HR woman kept referring to me as a queer man.

What a nightmare. I have flashbacks to 1995.

HR woman: Yeah, we got this queer here.

Her Colleague: A queer?!?!

HR woman: Yeah, this queer. Do we hire queers?

Her Colleague: I don’t know. Ted down billing seems like a queer.

HR woman: Ted’s a faeg?

by Anonymousreply 84May 30, 2021 1:46 PM

What about MASC for MASC?

by Anonymousreply 85May 30, 2021 2:06 PM

r89 hush or you'll invite a wave of fraus to police your sexuality while telling you how great political lesbianism is.

by Anonymousreply 86May 30, 2021 2:43 PM

R82, that's odd. Every Filipino grows up knowing there are masculine and feminine forms:

Filipino / Filipina; Pinoy / Pinay

Amerikano / Amerikana

Hapones / Haponesa

doktor / doktora

abogado / abogada

by Anonymousreply 87May 30, 2021 3:56 PM

r83 go live in Latin America and then tell us how awful the US and Canada are.

by Anonymousreply 88May 30, 2021 5:45 PM

R83 but we seem to be turning into those countries. We used to be a competent country but not anymore. If things don't change soon, we will be a country of rich and poor only plus we are not very well educated.

by Anonymousreply 89May 31, 2021 11:03 PM

I hate BIPOC! It's just another way to marginalize Black people. In America race identifiers are most commonly used to address allegations that someone was mistreated based on race.

The establishment of different races is a man-made construct. For centuries we have had clearly defined races with specific race identifiers for each.

While all racism is awful, it is typically inflicted in different ways, often depending on the race identifier and the historical (and unfortunately, present day) inequities associated with that particular race. If the goal of addressing allegations of racism is to ensure everyone is treated fairly then it seems counter-productive to lump everyone together.

by Anonymousreply 90May 31, 2021 11:49 PM

We need labels so we know who to bully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 31, 2021 11:55 PM

The government decides and they've done it. Whatever they put on the census forms is all that matters.

It is sad that America STILL cannot get this civil rights shit right after all these years that we still have to label anybody!

Fuck these new labels. They are confusing and they are distractions.

by Anonymousreply 92June 1, 2021 12:41 PM

First of all, I cannot stress enough that I felt Trump was completely unqualified for the job, having voted for Obama twice, Clinton, and Biden. So STFU with any "Boris" shite!

The Democratic party is completely under the thumb of left-wing academics. So, for at least the next three years expect this situation to become even worse.

by Anonymousreply 93June 1, 2021 2:29 PM

I disagree R83. Different religions and different communities stress different values. The United States was a new idea because anyone could succeed. (Not woman or blacks, but that's getting worked out.) Everyone had to go to school so they they would have a chance to succeed. It kind of worked, and the USA became something to be proud of. Then Gore won but it would have gotten bad so he conceded, and things were still okay. Then we were attacked by angry Muslims but the politicians decided it wasn't okay to shun the Muslims, and everything got confusing. Because Islam is a bad religion. It really is, but we're not allowed to say that. Human rights should trump religion in the United States, but no one will say that. Then Obama got elected, and all the White Trash people went INSANE. Like, INSANE. We liberals thought having Obama in office was a great thing, but the White Trash Americans broke society and it splintered into a lot of little pieces. Then Trump was elected and stomped on all the little pieces and broke them up more. So now what do we do?

by Anonymousreply 94June 1, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote] It really is, but we're not allowed to say that. Human rights should trump religion in the United States, but no one will say that. Then Obama got elected, and all the White Trash people went INSANE. Like, INSANE.

Perhaps the reason why they went insane is because they already this and are not allowed to say it. It's the poor white trash, and other poor people, who actually have to live with the consequences of unlimited immigration.

by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2021 4:41 PM

^already know this

by Anonymousreply 96June 1, 2021 4:41 PM

R88 Yeah, it's so annoying how these (mainly white) SJWs always go on about how evil the US is and how horrible it is to live here. They always paint the darkest picture possible. Why are they so self-loathing? About being white? About being American? About being feminine (for girls) or masculine (for boys)?

by Anonymousreply 97June 1, 2021 6:38 PM

[quote] Yeah, it's so annoying how these (mainly white) SJWs always go on about how evil the US is and how horrible it is to live here.

They are not necessarily wrong. The left now control all the major institutions of power. Woke ideology is good for their corporate bottom line. SJW's are a useful distraction for the left in their attempt to maintain that power.

by Anonymousreply 98June 1, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote] Why are they so self-loathing? About being white?

The Millenials' Version of The Ten Commandments says You must suffer with 'White -Guilt'. It is your Original Sin and cannot be eradicated with Self-Abasement.

by Anonymousreply 99June 2, 2021 12:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!