Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

British boyband Blue

Spinning off from the recent Eurovision thread. How come these lads couldn’t crack America? At the time they had the dirty pop-R&B sound that the U.S. was all about, plus they were more shamelessly slutty than most U.K. pop exports. And they have an Out gay and a bi member. So was it just lack of drive, no demand in the market?

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 6706/11/2021

Duncan wasn't out. Their music was Britpop that bit off the American style. It shouldn't surprise that America didn't buy a facsimile of its own sound.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 105/27/2021

All I know is that Duncan James is a LOVE RAT, from the tabloid headlines of the time I was stuck in Heathrow for 36 hours.

Or is he from Five?

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 205/27/2021

That guy from FIVE was fucking hot.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 305/27/2021

[quote]How come these lads couldn’t crack America?

Because they suck donkey dick.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 405/27/2021

Same reason as Robbie Williams couldn't. They're not butch enough and their music reads as too "gay" for the American market.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 505/27/2021

Don't forget the tiny little fact that they are absolutely no good at all.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 605/27/2021

I know Elton will sing with a toilet roll holder but I still can't quite believe that Stevie Wonder and Angie Stone appeared on a song with Blue.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 705/27/2021

One of the gayest British boybands from the '90s was Bad Boys Inc. More like Mary Inc.!

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 805/27/2021

No one beats Take That for GAY.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 905/27/2021

[quote] Their music was Britpop

Erm, think you might be a bit confused, luv...

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 1005/27/2021

Britpop in the broad sense (british pop music), hon.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 1105/27/2021

R9 eh? Members of Blue have had sex with each other, and admitted to more than once including live on telly. They take it in the gay stakes, surely.

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 1205/27/2021

Good lord, forgotten all about them, what pit did you dig them out of R8?!Thing about British boy bands is that they were squarely aimed at British young teenage girls who liked an aesthetic that I suppose is not actually that butch I guess...

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 1305/27/2021

No. Take That wore fetish wear in their early years. Even when they broke through, Howard was on stage in chaps and with his bare ass out.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 1405/27/2021

'90s era Boybands were a thing for 5 years MAX. We were already at full capacity and then the trend imploded in the early 2000s.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 1505/27/2021

[Quote] British boy bands is that they were squarely aimed at British young teenage girls who liked an aesthetic that I suppose is not actually that butch I guess...

That's not all that different to the "kid member" thing with American boybands (Joey McIntyre, Justin Timberlake) etc.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 1605/27/2021

"Hey Google, define gay music video"

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 1705/27/2021

They're ugly and they suck.

Next.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 1805/27/2021

[quote]'90s era Boybands were a thing for 5 years MAX

There were a LOT of them in the UK

A1

Another Level

Brother Beyond

East 17

JLS

Worlds Apart

etc.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 1905/27/2021

Duncan James is still gorgeous.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 2005/27/2021

Sorry....

seems to be the hardest word...

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 2105/27/2021

R19 True. Though JLS came much later, in the late 2000s-early 10s.

Come at me, but ‘Beat Again’ was the only really good memorable and catchy pop song they did. Blue had more hits, as did 5ive & 911 to a lesser extent.

The period of manufactured pop between the late 90s-early 2000s Brit boyband boom and the emergence of One Direction is a weird one.

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 2205/27/2021

N’Sync as a back up vocal group for Céline

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 2305/27/2021

Lee Ryan might be the stupidest boybander to ever live and breathe, and he may look like a bargain-bin Frank Lampard, but he does have a lovely clear and emotive voice.

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 2405/27/2021

R20 that’s what’s so hilarious about Blue videos. In the ones featuring tons of hot babes all over the group, the only guy of the four who is hot enough to actually have an irl shot with women that good-looking is Duncan....and he’s the gay one.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 2505/27/2021

[Quote] the only guy of the four who is hot enough to actually have an irl shot with women that good-looking

What a delightfully homosexual point of view.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 2605/27/2021

[quote]How come these lads couldn’t crack America?

After the Spice Girls split, in the late 90’s/early 2000’s, America had grown tired of British artists and there was a good 5-7 years where British artists were considered uncool in the US. I even remember reading an article during that time (around 2003 maybe?) even discussing a week where there were absolutely no British artists on the US music charts for the first time in decades.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 2705/27/2021

Both US and UK pop scenes were dominated by Scandi-pop. There was no need to import British pop stars when American pop stars were already working with the same collaborators.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 2805/27/2021

Blue have had a rough last decade, apparently.

Simon’s brother committed suicide out of nowhere in 2018, while Simon was living just over the road from him; Duncan almost died of a severe cerebro-spinal injury in 2016 (beware, the story about that at the link is so disgusting and scary to read); Lee was a raging alcoholic for ten years, a habit that gave him lymph nodes on his throat that damaged his voice; Anthony at one point hit almost 20 stone in weight, due to binge-eating to soothe his depression, and battled resultant health problems.

Sounds almost like they were hexed or something.

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 2905/28/2021

Lee could have gone solo. His late-2000s single’ Turn Your Car Around’ is a lovely bit of shimmering sweeping AOR/poprock balladry, and did quite well at the time.

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 3005/28/2021

But that's an example of him going solo, hon.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 3105/28/2021

Amuses me that the Frau brigade of the time tried to get their videos booted off TRL/MTV for being oversezualised.

Here in the days of ‘WAP’, their quaint cheeky euphemisms and layers of trashy clothing seem positively Victorian.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 3205/29/2021

[quote]Lee could have gone solo.

He tried to have a solo career, but he didn’t have much success. He had a solo album in 2005.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 3305/29/2021

Duncan seems like quite the attention-seeker.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 3405/29/2021

This is a fun story.

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 3505/29/2021

R34 and Simon Cowell is a tiny bit orange-tinted...

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 3605/30/2021

Any naked dicks?

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 3705/30/2021

Lee has been catfished on webcam.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 3805/30/2021

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 3905/30/2021

R38/R39 surprising it took so long. He’s the dimmest himbo in the U.K.

He’s doing that tilted angle thing girls do in selfies to make them look better, only with his cock. Though to be fair his webcam quality is prehistoric.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 4005/30/2021

Wow, there is so much UK pop music that is completely unknown in The States. This group Blue, Robbie Williams, Girls Aloud and other girly pop groups. And I understand why, the sound and look just isn't marketable to American tastes. Too campy, too cheeky, too gay-seeming, shamelessly overproduced, too colorful and corny. The US was completely sick of boy bands and pop groups around this time and hip-hop, alternative rock and pop-R&B was embraced with open arms. The UK seemed a decade behind and still pushes out boy band and girl groups.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 4106/09/2021

I was so into them. All Rise and One Love were their best songs. The backup dancers were strange looking. It was like they were picked up at the Point.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 4206/09/2021

R39 he was my favorite, still looking good and nice cock, too

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 4306/10/2021

One love was such a banger.

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 4406/10/2021

[quote] the sound and look just isn't marketable to American tastes. Too campy, too cheeky, too gay-seeming, too colorful and corny.

Yes, good observation.

The U.K. pop-culture sensibility has always tended more to mischievous camp, winks & nudges. We like and respond to innuendo, it’s just how we are. We invented glam, didn’t we?

Colour and cheese go down well with the general public, too—‘end of the Pier’ is another way to put it. It all makes sense when you refer to the roots of our public entertainments, from courtly troubadours & Mayings; Shakespeare & masque; music hall & Punch & Judy; to the lurid, slapsticky, darkly humorous and naughty sitcoms in more recent times.

When we do make dark serious drama & music, though, it is utterly bleak and desolately sad (*Radiohead—Pyramid Song,mp3* plays). So you could say the British cultural poles are quite extreme.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 4506/10/2021

America is more "stay in your lane." Were the Cheetah Girls not chessy? High School Musical? I believe the High School Musical soundtracks were big sellers. One can't deny such popular success.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 4606/10/2021

Apparently Internet trolls have bullied Duncan’s teen daughter, because he’s gay. Awful that people are still like that, in this day and age.

Duncan himself endured a lot of torment over being gay from his Catholic boyhood, so it must really hurt to see his daughter being bullied over it too.

Offsite Link
by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 4706/10/2021

Still, it's publicity.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 4806/10/2021

I had no idea that Duncan James came out!

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 4906/10/2021

He's come out multiple times - first as bisexual, then years later as gay.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 5006/10/2021

[quote] America is more "stay in your lane." Were the Cheetah Girls not chessy? High School Musical? I believe the High School Musical soundtracks were big sellers. One can't deny such popular success.

Bad comparison. Those were Disney products marketed to the tween niche market in the mid-2000s. They weren't being played on any mainstream radio station. The mainstream boy bands like NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees and O-Town were practically over by 2000.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 5106/10/2021

That's what I mean by "stay in your lane." UK TV/Radio would have many varied acts rub shoulders. Acts weren't kept away from one another like in the US.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 5206/10/2021

R52 Oh okay. I see. You're right that US radio is very separated by genres and demographics.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 5306/10/2021

US labels also killed the singles format, whereas as UK labels didn't. That helped "pure pop" acts in the UK have greater reach among the general population. Certain US acts were further ghettoized by that and other practices - e.g. Britney Spears and the Clear Channel business, and the knock on effect on her singles chart positions from poor radio play and no physical singles.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 5406/10/2021

Yes, the US radio suffered under the Telecommunications Act signed by Clinton in 1996. It allowed a monopoly of the radio stations by major corporations thus reducing the amount of musical competition and diversity, closing down many local stations and firing a lot of DJs. So the more spontaneous playlists created by real music-heads who worked as DJs got replaced by a carefully selected lineup decided by market research.

Singles did become popular again in the mid-to-late 2000s with the popularity of the iPod. Artists like Rihanna made huge amount of money off of her singles alone. I've heard about Clear Channel and the Britney situation but she did at least recover by the time of In The Zone with Toxic and Everytime being huge hits for her.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 5506/10/2021

R47 Not surprised. England is a backwards shithole and still very conservative outside of London. Just look at the comments under the article at that link - The asshole posters are basically saying the bullying is OK. Sick country.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 5606/10/2021

Some of us weren’t meant to crack America, but it’s okay some of their gays still love me!

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 5706/10/2021

I thought Lee Ryan also coming out or maybe I'm confused with Duncan.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 5806/11/2021

Well, Blue simply weren’t a very good band. Couple of decent songs, but not particularly talent:

Duncan James was and remains utterly gorgeous, however. Lee Ryan doesn’t seem to have much in the top storey but he’s hot in a grubby kinda way and I certainly wouldn’t turn him down.

The music, though? No one even remembers it here in the Uk where they had hits.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 5906/11/2021

R59 Lee’s appeal is interesting. He’s technically pasty and ratfaced as well as a a rude self-absorbed moron, but there is a lot of odd considerable irreverent charm in his geezery, pilled-out, thinning-hair and snowshoe-feet vintage pretty-boy persona. He makes chavvy idiocy work like no other.

But yes, he is only a few clicks above developmentally-challenged, which is offputting.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 6006/11/2021

Well, I'll give The UK props for having some boy bands with members who are actually hot and having their boy bands target gay audiences.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 6106/11/2021

R42 Duncan still makes me rise. R60 bless poor Lee’s heart, he really is quite dim.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 6206/11/2021

Brit pop post Spice Girls could not get arrested in the US. Carson Daly tried to make Mystique happen in the US - Jimmy Kimmel even let them perform on his show (despite his face showing he was embarrassed). - and they still never took off. Even with a decent song Scandalous.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 6306/11/2021

Kylie Minogue had only two hits in the US: "Locomotion" and "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". Many straight guys only know her from the Street Fighter movie.

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 6406/11/2021

"Get Outta My Way" peaked at number one on the US Hot Dance Club Songs chart after originally debuting at number thirty-five and ascending steadily.[25] It became Minogue's fifth number one on the chart and her second from the album Aphrodite. Subsequently, Minogue's next two singles, "Better than Today" and "Higher" (her duet with Taio Cruz), both also reached number one on the Hot Dance Club Songs chart.[26] As of March 2011, the single had sold 66,000 digital units in the US

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 6506/11/2021

Didn't Lee Ryan say some very stupid things about 9/11?

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 6606/11/2021

They all seem special. Can any of them read and write?

by wearing a suit jacket in a Miami summer for some reasonreply 6706/11/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!