Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The old people next door

They've been lovely neighbors, but now she's on the decline after a couple strokes and he's this very timid, mousy type. She's obsessed with their yard and it was her province for years but now she's too weak to do yard work, so instead she sits in the yard and barks orders at him in a very nasty tone. This often goes on for hours on nice days and if our windows are open, we hear everything. I'm honestly tempted to say something but I fear it would be awkward and that she might actually start crying. She's not all there anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 7:53 PM

I would leave it. Strokes can cause people to have personality changes. He’s probably going through a rough time taking care of her, so maybe you could do something nice like make them some food or give them a gift certificate to a restaurant or something. It’s really lonely to be stuck in a house with an angry, irritable invalid, so anything that’s a positive might cheer him, or them, up a bit.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2021 6:03 PM

Call 911 with an anonymous domestic dispute complaint.

Feign ignorance and surprise when the cops show up.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2021 6:07 PM

OP - why not go to the fence and offer to help with the yard work for an hour, instead of just stewing all alfternoon?

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2021 6:17 PM

Helping with the yard work would be too fraught, but that's actually a nice idea you have there, r1. The whole situation just makes me sad more than anything.

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2021 6:25 PM

Bless her heart,shes just trying to hold on to something that gave her pleasure. Contrary to popular belief,not every old person is sitting on a pot of cash and can afford to pay to have their yards done. Or their house painted,or their roofs replaced,etc,etc,etc.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2021 6:29 PM

What do you think you'll accomplish by going over there and telling her she's being mean to her husband? How do you think that's going to play out?

The husband may not appreciate you acting like he can't stand up for himself. These two don't have a lot of time left in their home and you're going to make it awkward for them for the rest of the time they're there. You'll never be friendly with each other again.

You have no idea what goes on between them that you can't hear. She might realize and apologize later, or he might talk to her about it, and she tries to control her tone but still slips up and gets a nasty tone sometimes. Maybe she's been like this the whole time and he doesn't mind. Maybe he cares about her and just wants her to be happy even if she doesn't sound appreciative.

You're only thinking of yourself, of not wanting to hear them in their yard. You don't care how your actions could affect them. Just close your windows and mind your own business.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2021 6:37 PM

Spray here with a garden hose from your yard when she starts with her bitching.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2021 6:44 PM

Why don't you pretend to become their closest friend so they leave everything to you in their wills?

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2021 6:56 PM

Hello...Phillywhore here. Do they have family nearby? Please find out "what the situation is" with the elderly couple. They may need a little help with yard work...other stuff. Do they have animals? Be Kind First-(I can't believe I typed that)

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2021 7:44 PM

Did you "KILL" the old people next door??

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 7:19 PM

R10 If OP kills their neighbors, we have to have an 8 part thread about! I don’t care where it took place or what season.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 7:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!