Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Serious question about Helen Hunt

Can she do comedy?

I know she won a load of Emmys but I was never a fan of Mad About You.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2022 7:30 AM

The timely question should be: can she act (aka emote) anymore?

I saw her in World On Fire (PBS) and her face was an immovable mask. Ghastly. It's like she had an unsuccessful face transplant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2021 11:06 PM

She's better at comedy than she is at drama. Her Oscar for As Good as it Gets was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2021 11:08 PM

Helen Cunt?

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2021 11:10 PM

Never been a fan, and didn't find her funny in that show.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2021 11:11 PM

I loved her in Mad About You. A very underrated show.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2021 11:14 PM

R5 Mad About You wasn't underrated. It was incredibly popular, did great in the ratings, ran for 8 years, and won 12 Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2021 11:18 PM

She was good enough in As Good As It Gets, but hardly Oscar-worthy (I think it was one of those cases where people voted for Nicholson, so figured they might as well vote for and make it a pair, though Dench and Bingham Carter were much more deserving). She was better in The Sessions, which was not a comedy per se, but in which she gave a sympathetic and warm performance.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2021 11:27 PM

IMO she isn't that good at comedy. She got in show business the old fashioned way: Nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2021 11:30 PM

R6, I mean how it’s regarded now.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2021 11:37 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2021 11:51 PM

“I don’t like a show, ergo its star is completely inept.”

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2021 11:54 PM

I hated Mad About You - she was such a bitch. Why do men end up with women like that and vice versa?

She sucks in World on Fire. It's as if she is reading the lines for the radio and she can't get into the character or scene.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2021 4:42 AM

I’ve been laughing at her new face for about two years now. By this standard, she’s the fucking Queen of Comedy.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2021 4:46 AM

R1 is exactly right. It is like a failed face transplant that won't move. I'm amazed she got cast in anything with that face. I always liked her but now it's like watching the world's most attractive burn victim.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2021 4:49 AM

Helen's bump

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2022 5:22 AM

She can act stern, frustrated, and annoyed which works well for comedy. i dont think she tries for laughs in terms of performance, she plays it real and intense and the laughs are generated by the situation.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2022 6:00 AM

I had the Patti LuPone threads removed, OP. Just keep it and I'll turn you and new series of "I Didn't Take My Meds Today" threads to radioactive pixie dust. Get some fuckin help already.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2022 7:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!