Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amy Tan: Unintended Memoir (Netflix, 2021)

Having always been a casual fan of Amy Tan’s work, I am absolutely stunned by the revelations recounted in this documentary. I am only about a third of the way through the film, but Tan’s recollections of the tragedy and madness she endured as a child and adolescent are stark and shocking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2021 3:45 AM

I read her memoir; it was very sad. Love her writing though. I always want to say, “write faster” but I know she is ill.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2021 6:54 PM

I'm going to assume she clashed with her mother?

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2021 6:57 PM

R1 I plan on getting it. The documentary, which I am just finishing, is both cathartic and hopeful. What a life and family history. I cried.

R2 That would be an understatement. However, the iridescence of her relationship with her mother is both tragic and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2021 7:12 PM

This documentary has stuck with me throughout the day.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2021 4:41 AM

None of you bitches have seen this yet?

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2021 4:12 AM

Just watched it. Very well done.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2021 1:47 AM

R6 Wasn’t it? It gave me a whole new opinion and level of respect for Tan.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2021 2:27 AM

Is it true that Kitchen God's Wife was about her mother?

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2021 7:32 AM

So it was created for PBS originally, but still just this year?

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2021 7:47 AM

So what happened to her life?

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2021 11:08 AM

R7 Yes. And her grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2021 11:45 AM

A Q&A about the film with Tan and Karen Pritzker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2021 11:50 AM

For Variety: Amy Tan Reflects on Creative Collaboration for ‘Amy Tan: Unintended Memoir’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2021 11:51 AM

Bumping for Amy. (God, that sounds like a really bad romcom title.) Her life and work deserve it.

Anybody else watch this?

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2021 3:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!