Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

[BOLD] 'Everybody's Talking About Jamie' [/BOLD] has it's theatrical release cancelled

[BOLD] 'Everybody's Talking About Jamie' [/BOLD] has had it's theatrical release cancelled and is going to Amazon Prime Video on September 17, 2021.

[italic] Jamie New is a 16-year-old and doesn't quite fit in. Instead of pursuing a "real" career, he dreams of becoming a drag queen. Uncertain about his future, Jamie knows one thing for sure: he is going to be a sensation. Supported by his loving mom and his amazing friends, Jamie overcomes prejudice, beats the bullies and steps out of the darkness into the spotlight. [/italic]

Shame really, it could have been popular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 24, 2021 9:28 PM

Hmmm Formatting tags don't work in the title then....

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2021 1:37 PM

Oops OP. You don't need to bold the titles but the rest of your formatting is spot on!

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2021 1:38 PM

So bold, so WRONG

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2021 1:39 PM

Is that West Midlands or Tasmania?

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2021 1:40 PM

Why? Makes no sense if they are going to release it in September, when cinemas are open now in the UK anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2021 1:40 PM

This looks like a bit of fun OP and I like the fact that it's British. If it had been American it would have had all the charm and quirk sucked out of it.

I'll be watching when it's released for sure.

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2021 1:42 PM

God, this looks awful.

by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2021 1:42 PM

I saw it in the West End, and I thought it was so amateurish in the writing, although the staging was good. There's about two decent songs, but the rest is so cliche-ridden, I was writing the lyrics as they went along, and I was mostly correct. It would have bombed in movie theatres. Amazon was the smart choice. Bury it there.

by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2021 1:44 PM

[quote]Why? Makes no sense if they are going to release it in September, when cinemas are open now in the UK anyway.

The film was originally set to be distributed on October 23, 2020, by the Disney-owned 20th Century Studios, but COVID scrambled those plans and forced the studio to delay the release. Amazon bought distribution rights for an undisclosed sum. “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” will now premiere on Amazon's Prime Video September 17, 2021, in over 240 countries and territories.

by Anonymousreply 9May 21, 2021 1:45 PM

This is the true story that it was based on, the West End show has been a massive hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2021 1:46 PM

When I saw it in the West End, the house was half-full. It was hardly a massive hit. And the critical reaction was mixed at best.

by Anonymousreply 11May 21, 2021 1:54 PM

Over the years, I've seen this movie dozens of times. The Australian versions are the best.

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2021 1:59 PM

R11 It was running for two years prior to the pandemic and has just reopened at The Apollo Theatre.

There is also a touring version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2021 2:04 PM

Which are the Australian versions R12?

by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2021 2:11 PM

That doesn't make it a massive hit. It makes it running....Massive hits are Led Mis, Phantom, Wicked, Hamilton....The only reason Jamie keeps running is the theatre owner is also the producer, so the money is just moved around...

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2021 5:01 PM

r15, that's what the Nederlanders did for years with "Scarlet Pimpernel."

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2021 5:02 PM

I get it; that's very bold.

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2021 5:03 PM

[quote] 'Everybody's Talking About Jamie'

The dream title for any trans person!

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2021 5:13 PM

I will give this show a chance because it's not produced by Ryan Murphy.

That genre needs some fresh voices and I trust British queens to deliver a quality show exponentially more than the Murphopoly.

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2021 5:23 PM

The stage musical is coming to Los Angeles next year! Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2021 5:28 PM

Its, not it's, OP. Do your homework in 4th-grade English punctuation before attempting basic HTML coding.

Also, a drag queen musical? "Groundbreaking."

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2021 5:53 PM

They won't even have to change their name after they have their weiner lopped-off..

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2021 5:57 PM

R21 I confess it was a copy & paste job.

The premise really works if you saw the original documentary about Jamie Campbell (R10) in 2011, it was sort of heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2021 6:06 PM

The show got a lot of media attention in the UK because it had a lot of stunt casting, with former popstars and tv presenters joining the cast.

A lot of reviews I've seen focused on the show being "UPLIFTING" and "LIFE AFFIRMING" but none of the reviews I've seen said it was actually GOOD.

The trailer for the film looks awful.

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2021 6:08 PM

R24 Have you seen the list of the 'Stunt Casting' replacements?

[BOLD] Hugo: [/BOLD] Lee Ross, Shane Richie, Bianca Del Rio, Bill Ward, Rufus Hound.

[BOLD] Miss Hedge: [/BOLD] Michelle Visage, Hayley Tamaddon, Faye Tozer, Rita Simons, Preeya Kalidas, Katy Brand.

They are mostly washed-up soap actors and comedians who most Brits wouldn't be able to pick out of and identity parade that consisted of two people.

Former Steps singer Faye Tozer and Shane Richie are probably the best known, I doubt either would encourage people to see the show.

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2021 6:29 PM

They're the kind of celebrities who'll be invited onto This Morning or Loose Women to promote the the show. So it works.

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2021 6:46 PM

I think "Everybody's Talking about Ja'mie" would have more potential.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2021 12:01 AM

The bitches are out in full force on this thread. I saw the show in London with the original cast . I had to be talked into it as it didn't sound like my cup of tea, but I loved it. Bought the cast album at intermission. The reviews were actually excellent, unlike R11's memory. While it is ostensibly the story of a young drag performer-in-training, at it's heart it's the story of Jamie's relationships with his mother and his best friend, who support him unconditionally, and how he comes to realize how much he has taken that for granted. Definitely a feel-good show. I was really looking forward to the theatrical film. Glad I have Amazon Prime so at least I'll get to see it!

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2021 1:19 AM

It was nominated for 5 Olivier awards and won none.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2021 3:51 PM

R5 Even by September, it's unlikely theaters will be allowed to be opened at full capacity and they will still be closed in many European/International markets. It's probably seen as not worth the expense of distributing. The studio probably stood to make more money just selling it to Amazon than doing a theatrical release. Increasingly this will be the new norm I think.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2021 3:58 PM

NO ONE is talking about Jamie. At least in the U.S. That's part of the problem.

I think audiences are a bit burnt out on stories about LGBT youth (THE PROM, LOVE SIMON, CALL ME JAZZ), especially ones that fail to deliver. Which, unfortunately, is most of them.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2021 4:00 PM

R31 That and I don't think anyone in the US has even heard of the play it originates from.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2021 4:03 PM

It's a pity he wasn't BRAVE enough to admit he was trans!!!

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2021 4:19 PM

So Disney would rather sell off the rights to Amazon instead of putting it on their own service?

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2021 4:35 PM

R34 I don't know if Disney+ is available in the UK? A lot of studios with their own platforms in the US distribute their movies to Amazon internationally.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2021 4:41 PM

R35 Diseny+ is available in the UK and they even have a mature content hub called Star

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2021 4:47 PM

R34, R35, R36 So New Regency owns the rights to the film, Fox Studios (owned by Disney) has a distribution deal with New Regency but didn't actually produce the film. Due the backlog of films still waiting for release due to COVID, Amazon offered to purchase it (along with several other films). Disney and New Regency likely stood to make far more money selling the rights to another streamer and make up for lost box office. I doubt Everybody's Talking About Jamie was going to entice a lot of people to purchase a Disney+ subscription. I'm sure the rights will default back to Disney+ after a period of time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2021 5:45 PM

An after-school special about being brave enough to be goddamn drag queen?

I'm gay AF and I have no interest in that.

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2021 6:32 PM

Btw there's an NT Live type filming of the stage musical that was released in cinemas in 2018.

It's currently available on all good torrent sites.

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2021 6:40 PM

So, Jamie didn't win any Olivier Awards? It's in good company! Some other shows that didn't win:

The Lion King

Rent

Miss Saigon

Les Miserables

Wicked

Chicago

Not to mention the travesty that Maggie Smith has never won one, despite being nominated six times!

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2021 7:25 PM

R31 whatever happened to Jizz Jennings and her mancunt Hope he got his schnoz fixed at school

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote]So, Jamie didn't win any Olivier Awards? It's in good company! Some other shows that didn't win:

Ahem

The Lion King - won best chorography and costume design

Rent - was this the Pet Shop Boys musical?

Miss Saigon - Jonathan Pryce and Lea Salonga won best actor and actress

Les Miserables - PATTI FUCKING LUPONE WON AN OLIVIER FOR THIS YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Wicked - won TWO audience awards thank you very much.

Chicago - won outstanding musical production and best actress for Ute Lemper

As for Maggie Smith, let's just say that Richard E Grant has a LOT of friends on the Olivier judging panels. And Richard E Grant brings us back to Jamie!

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2021 8:30 PM

From Bianca Del Rio's stint:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2021 9:06 PM

[quote]The bitches are out in full force on this thread.

You got that. Nothing but hate for "The Prom" and the knives will out for this too, but if there's a movie about a brute attacking gays and trans Data would have 600 posts how hot the straight animal was.

by Anonymousreply 44August 11, 2021 4:48 PM

I think we are in for a full two years of woke-tastic "entertainment. From what we are about to see, one will feel like the majority of people are feminine gay men whose only margin of authenticity (and the only CORRECT way to be gay) is to be a drag queen, or mythical "non-binary" creatures. The "stunning and brave" will ONLY be depicted by "trans women of color" sending us home with a bushel of guilt - preferably white guilt, and A LOT TO THINK ABOUT!

When these socially-approved entertainments fail to garner large audiences or big box office, we the audience will be chastised and blamed once more. Producers will about face and seek popular, emotionally relatable, fun stories to tell and sell, and the now-sanctified queer/trans/non-binary people will be set adrift and forgotten. Our Lady J and Janet Mock will never be heard from again other than as complainants in various lawsuits.

Let's see...

by Anonymousreply 45August 11, 2021 4:59 PM

If there is 𝒐𝒏𝒆 topic the public has been demanding more films about, it's teen drag queens and their mothers.

by Anonymousreply 46August 11, 2021 5:06 PM

The songs are just so fucking generic sounding.

by Anonymousreply 47August 11, 2021 5:10 PM

R47, I disagree slightly. Wall in my Head good at conveying the fragmented, contradictory mind of an adolescent. On the other hand, It Means Beautiful is a Hallmark card set to music.

by Anonymousreply 48August 11, 2021 5:38 PM

Everybody's talking about why the fuck anyone is talking about the stupid fucking cliché-filled pansy-ass movie.

Also, its, not it's, OP.

by Anonymousreply 49August 11, 2021 8:36 PM

People are liking....get'em girls....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2021 9:52 PM

[bald]Ben Affleck[/bald]

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2021 11:17 PM

I saw this many times in the West End, with various casts, and it's always great. I hope the film is as good as the live show. It's camp, and cheesy of course, but it's fun and kind of sweet.

by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2021 6:27 PM

Watching this now and disappointed that’s it not about that snarky Australian private school girl. It like a bait and switch. What’s chuffing by the by?

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2021 4:30 AM

Why is Richard E. Grant still playing gay?

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2021 4:55 AM

[quote]Why is Richard E. Grant still playing gay?

Why not? He brilliant in it but without a theatrical release he won't get the Oscar he deserves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2021 12:07 AM

I admit I had no desire to see this, but decided to give it a try today. I fucking loved it. Maybe I was just in a mushy mood today? Max Harwood is a beautiful boy, and of course Sarah Lancashire elevates everything she’s in.

by Anonymousreply 56September 19, 2021 12:50 AM

It was wonderful. Honestly thought I'd hate it.

by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2021 1:31 AM

Then it must get better at some point, I watch the first third like In the Heights and all the songs seemed the same and I turned it off.

by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2021 2:38 AM

This was a fun movie. Silly, predictable, but enjoyable. I'll admit there was a tear in my eye at the ending.

Also, there are some religious groups posting 1-star reviews on Amazon. Must be a campaign to bring it down.

by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2021 4:18 AM

These stories are all so tired and cliché. Jesus H. Christ, it’s 2021.

by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2021 4:24 AM

[quote]Max Harwood is a beautiful boy,

With a beautiful smile. He so ridiculously pretty when he smiles.

I enjoyed the film more than I thought I would. Some of the songs are amateurish and probably play better in the theatre. To me the standout piece was the new song, "This is Me" performed by Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Holly Johnson. It's the one with Richard E. Grant's character going through his life (with John McCrea who originated the role of Jamie , playing Grant's character as young man).

by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2021 5:14 PM

[ BOLDLY ] [ TIRESOME ]

by Anonymousreply 62September 21, 2021 5:24 PM

Cringe worthy, embarrassing, patronizing junk with an insufferable actor playing an insufferable self-centered character.

by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2021 6:07 PM

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie"

...and the world asks, "why?"

by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2021 6:22 PM

It has to be better than The Prom. God, that was awful

by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2021 6:35 PM

What are Jamie’s pronouns?

If everyone is talking about Jamie it would be a basic courtesy for Jamie to say how Jamie likes to be talked about.

by Anonymousreply 66September 22, 2021 6:33 AM

Great, another fucking film about another ridiculous young man whose ridiculous dream is to become a worthless drag queen. How brave. How different.

by Anonymousreply 67September 22, 2021 10:18 AM

Stopped reading at “it’s.”

by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2021 10:33 AM

I already want everyone to shut up about Jamie.

by Anonymousreply 69September 22, 2021 10:45 AM

I watched about an hour of it last night. It's kinda "Beautiful Thing" crashes into "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". The music is uninspired. I do love Ricard Grant and his wig.

by Anonymousreply 70September 22, 2021 10:57 AM

Watched it last night. Awful songs, but so many musicals now have bad, disposable assembly-line pop scores. Otherwise it was completely predictable and sometimes not remotely credible - I haven't seen the documentary about Jamie, but I have to think he had a tougher time at school than the film portrays. I liked Grant, but he was basically regurgitating his much better "Can You Ever Forgive Me" performance.

One nice surprise was how well Sarah Lancashire can sing.

by Anonymousreply 71September 24, 2021 9:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!