Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Preventing hair loss

Does anyone know methods to keep the hair one has - that are NOT Finasteride and Minoxidil?

I have a full head of hair with no bald spots and not too much of a receding hairline. Late 50s, gray hair that is looking thinner. I would like to prevent more thinning and if possible by some miracle add back some thickness.

What about the ridiculous looking, very expensive, laser hats? What about hocus pocus scalp ointments and potions, with massage?

Well? Thanks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2021 12:10 AM

Saw Palmetto

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2021 6:38 PM

pills? directly applied? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2021 6:40 PM

Prayer.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2021 6:42 PM

OOOO!!! use this, 1.5 mm needles 1x a week or 2 x a month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2021 6:43 PM

I switched to Lush shampoo bars 10 years ago when my hair was thinning and falling out, and it was great for my hair. Hair loss dramatically decreased. The normal shampoos have so many chemicals it was just making my hair fall out I think. I have more hair now than I did then!

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2021 6:47 PM

Dear eldergay, you're in your late 50s, does it really matter anymore?

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2021 6:47 PM

R6 well its not going to get me a young lover but there's nothing wrong with keeping a head of hair.

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2021 6:50 PM

death

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2021 6:53 PM

R5 the problem I have with people blaming the chime also in shampoo is in that case women would have the same complaint. But they don’t. Therefore I find it hard to believe that standard hair shampoos can be causing hair loss.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2021 6:57 PM

I will say my dog had some skin problem and hair loss the vet could not fix. Bought some Mange medicine with sulpher and it did. Old school.

ANYWAY, his hair was slowly growing back. I added a teaspoon of olive oil to his food. Grew hast, thick, and shiny in a month.

I am now taking a swig of EVOO every morning.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2021 6:57 PM

Chemicals in shampoo

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2021 6:57 PM

Eating eggs regularly is great for hair quality.

by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2021 7:00 PM

Masturbate 2X daily.

Removing testosterone from the body prevents it from causing hair loss.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2021 7:01 PM

Don't wear ball caps, get enough sleep, massage scalp while shampooing.

by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2021 7:10 PM

wow so many great idea. I think even the sulfur isn't a bad idea - a couple days ago I order dead sea sulfur soap. Guess I have eldergay mange!

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2021 7:13 PM

lolz

by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2021 7:14 PM

I have a shot glass of Olive oil every morning, it's good for skin, heart and your brain, too.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2021 7:14 PM

I tried a Korean shampoo after reading it reduces loss & is the holy grail of K-haircare. The brand is Daeng Gi Meo Ri Ki and is available at Costco and Sam's without membership.

It works. I noticed a major improvement in about two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2021 7:15 PM

Testosterone is the only proven GROWER of hair. But one can't put steroids on your scalp every morning.

That morning wank? Massage the results in your hair and on your face. Don't tell anyone.

I found this out when trying to make my beard grow faster.

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2021 7:17 PM

Can't post links but these are the specific product names:

Daeng Gi Meo Ri Ki Gold Premium at Costco Ki Gold Prestige at Sam's

Since its establishment in 1998, Daeng Gi Meo Ri is the first and original authentic herbal hair care brand in Korea that has set the health of humans as the standard for true beauty. Daeng Gi Meo Ri completes healthy beauty with the traditional method of concocting oriental herb extracts for concentration and fermentation over long periods of time.

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2021 7:20 PM

Here you go - a tried and true treatment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2021 7:22 PM

R9 I don't understand your comment. How do you know there aren't women who have the same complaint? In any case, that's why I said "I think" it has to do with the chemicals, but I didn't run an experiment on it. It could have been a hormonal or diet thing at the time that coincided with me switching to Lush. Who knows for certain? All I can say is that since I switched to Lush the amount of hairs I lose in a day is less than than the 100 average (yes I've counted!). When I was using regular shampoo, I remember counting HUNDREDS.

Also, OP supposedly garlic shampoo (anti-bacterial), as well as, anti-fungal shampoo can help. Supposedly, over time, bacteria and fungus on our scalps damage the hair follicles. Haven't tried them though but seen them on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2021 9:04 PM

R20 what does "Daeng Gi Meo Ri Ki " mean in Korean?

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2021 9:06 PM

For the ignorant butthole @ r19:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 20, 2021 9:37 PM

Nizoral (ketoconazole) Shampoo (2% not OTC 1%) definitely helps but you also need to take finasteride or dutasteride for maximum benefit.

by Anonymousreply 25May 20, 2021 9:55 PM

Topical acts differently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2021 10:06 PM

I've been using this - based on a recommendation from a friend. I was skeptical, but my hair does seem thicker and I see some new growth. The problem? Results are supposed to be most noticeable after 6-9 months.

I'm on 4 months as of today. The shampoo was expensive (like $70), but it lasts probably 6-8 months as I'm not even half way finished with my tube.

Again, I don't see as much hair falling out and I do see some new growth but I'm not at the 6 month part. YMMV - I figured I would give this a shot before I do anything more expensive or time consuming. I have to shampoo my hair, so this isn't a big commitment with some topical application or those weird headwear contraptions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 20, 2021 10:18 PM

What is better topical or supplements? Topical shampoos seem like snake oil to me.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2021 10:30 PM

One of my friends is a hairdresser, for his clients, he has better advice than most derms.

For women, he recommends biotin supplements (hair, skin & nail supplements) and prescription Spironolactone tablets, a medication formerly used for men with prostate problems! Spironolactone blocks the male hormones, especially Androgens, in women who have thinning hair.

My friend says his female clients hair has stopped falling out as rapidly and the new growth has been stronger and healthier looking, which is usually not the case with hair loss. With each cycle of hair regrowth, he notices the hair strands are thicker, this is usually never the case with hair loss. With most male and female hair loss, it's usually is heading towards permanent loss, strands of new regrowth would look thinner, not thicker.

Other reasons for hair loss are, of course, not permanent, such as loss due to chemo and other meds which cause hair loss.

Spironolactone is one the medications MTF trans people are prescribed during their transition, not sure how this med would affect men who are not transitioning. This med is also used as a water pill for high blood pressure.

With hair loss, for men and women, it's not just about the sheds, you have to notice how thin, or thick, new strands appear. That's usually a barometer of whether or not the hair loss will be permanent or temporary.

Most dermas are clueless about hair loss. Years ago, a derma was shooting up my sister's scalp with steroids, all the steroids did was thin her scalp skin, there was no hair re-growth. These days, her sheds are much less than when they started, her hair has stabilized. My sister started with very thick strong hair, which is a huge plus for anyone with thinning hair. In her case, her hair loss isn't as obvious as it would be for a person who started out with thin flat hair.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2021 11:52 PM

how do I LOSE hair? I am sick of my hair

by Anonymousreply 30November 25, 2021 12:00 AM

Kent brand shampooo brush…..keeps my follicles clear of sebum

by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2021 12:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!