Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In The Heights

New movie coming out from Lin-Manuel Miranda, and it looks good.

Is it supposed to be a musical? A drama? A comedy?

This is the first movie I'm actually looking forward to seeing, in over a year.

Anyone else?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1608 hours ago

This movie looks like total Oscar bait.

I have a feeling that it's going to be all about "In The Heights" at next year's Academy Awards.

by Anonymousreply 105/19/2021

Could be the first musical to win an Oscar, since LALA Land.

by Anonymousreply 205/19/2021

No thanks, Lin.

by Anonymousreply 305/19/2021

Whoops, LALA Land didn't win an Oscar for Best Picture.

The most recent musical to win was "Chicago" in 2002.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405/19/2021

I was born in The Heights...I dont remember this shit at all

by Anonymousreply 505/19/2021

[quote] Is it supposed to be a musical?

It won a Tony Award, so yes, dear simpleton OP. It is/was a stage musical.

That's a play where performers frequently sing and dance to music.

People sit in chairs in what is called a theater.

This is what is called a film adaptation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 605/19/2021

I saw it in the theater. It was like 1970s Sesame Street, only with very boring music. At least Sesame Street had Cookie Monster and Grover. Somebody from American Idol was in it, but I don’t know who because I don’t watch reality tv.

by Anonymousreply 705/19/2021

I watched the preview. The music is abysmal, like all of these new musicals. Everyone is so expressive and try hard through every musical number. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 805/19/2021

r2=Faye Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 905/19/2021

I'm not a fan of rap, and I was prepared to detest the musical, but I ended up really liking it. (I've seen it twice, at community theaters.) And I'm way outside of its target demographic (eldergay white guy.)

by Anonymousreply 1005/19/2021

Looks like fun.

by Anonymousreply 1105/19/2021

Bring it on, HATERS!!!

by Anonymousreply 1205/19/2021

Oh, you just wait until you get cancelled Lin! You know there are some politically incorrect rap tapes of you making fun of lactose intolerant historical figures with celiac disease! Even Chrissy Teigen won't be returning your calls!

by Anonymousreply 1305/19/2021

Lin-Manuel Miranda is hot and straight, you jealous whores!

That's why you hate him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1405/19/2021

They were so smart to release before Spielberg's WSS. They're going to steal all of his thunder.

by Anonymousreply 1505/19/2021

Spielberg is doing West Side Story, R15?

I had no idea.

Will it feature robots and Artificial Intelligence?

by Anonymousreply 1605/19/2021

Supposedly it's a love letter to NYC. I have a soft spot for films which make the city one of the main characters, like Midnight Cowboy, Manhattan, Annie Hall, Taxi Driver, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Saturday Night Fever.

by Anonymousreply 1705/19/2021

WHET The Heights the musical group, you remember "How Do You Talk To An Angel"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1805/19/2021

Why is this going to be in theaters AND HBO+?

Is this the new normal?

by Anonymousreply 1905/19/2021

R199 I think it may be, at least for now. Although I have HBO Max I'm planning for this to be the first movie I've seen at the cinema since February 2020.

by Anonymousreply 2005/19/2021

[quote] Lin-Manuel Miranda is hot and straight, you jealous whores!

Well, he's straight...

by Anonymousreply 2105/19/2021

Pinga! Two hours of musical pinga!!

by Anonymousreply 2205/19/2021

Rrrrreeeeooowwwwrrrrrrr, R21!

CAT-TEEEEYYYY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2305/19/2021

[quote] Pinga! Two hours of musical pinga!!

That's why I want to watch it, R22.

All that hot Puerto Rican and Dominican COCK!

by Anonymousreply 2405/19/2021

This could well be the gayest musical that ever gayed!

by Anonymousreply 2506/02/2021

My friend saw it last week at a special screening and said it was her favorite movie of the past few years.

by Anonymousreply 2606/02/2021

Wait til I show up, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2706/02/2021

I smell an OSCAR, R26!

by Anonymousreply 2806/02/2021

I smell CHEESE.

by Anonymousreply 2906/02/2021

The premiere is at Tribeca film festival but the screening is uptown at the United Palace Theater, one of the best in NY now that it's been fabulously refurbished. Unfortunately, it's not playing there after the opening. SAD!

I'm going to see it on IMAX.

I would have believed LMM was straight until I saw him queen out on Drunk History.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3006/02/2021

[quote] I would have believed LMM was straight until I saw him queen out on Drunk History.

Yeah, totally.

I don't believe he's straight. Not for a second.

And I'm not trying to stereotype. I'm basing this solely on the individual.

by Anonymousreply 3106/02/2021

r28 is either Walter Monheit or Lynn Stairmaster

by Anonymousreply 3206/02/2021

r19, ATT (parent of WB/DC/HBO) had an evil plan to boost the HBO+ membership by releasing 17 of its films on that platform by using the pandemic as an excuse. They didn't inform any of the actors, directors, or producers beforehand, and because of that, all of those people will lose any points from the lack of box office sales.

by Anonymousreply 3306/02/2021

Guys with cut off jeans shorts and tank tops dancing in the streets of New York.

Nope, not gay at all!

by Anonymousreply 3406/02/2021

Is the lead actor (Anthony Ramos) gay?

He's cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3506/02/2021

I wonder if Lin Manuel Miranda auditioned Anthony on the casting couch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3606/02/2021

Schmaltz. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 3706/02/2021

Saw the play and loved it. Very dynamic, totally entertaining. It will all depend on the director, but I can't wait...

by Anonymousreply 3806/02/2021

Lots of Oscar buzz for Olga Merediz.

by Anonymousreply 3906/02/2021

I will NOT be ignored!!!

by Anonymousreply 4006/02/2021

I hope it beats out West side story for each and every award it's nominated for.

by Anonymousreply 4106/02/2021

Same here, R41.

And it will!

But it's a long way until the Oscars 2022, so I hope some shit movie doesn't come in and steal all the attention at the last minute.

by Anonymousreply 4206/03/2021

One of those I just don't like. IDK why.

by Anonymousreply 4306/03/2021

It has a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Do you think we could have an Oscar race between Rita Moreno and Olga Merediz next year? Glenn better get her some "tropical makeup" if she wants a nomination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4406/03/2021

Here's hoping. Finally an Oscar movie NOT to slit your wrists by.

by Anonymousreply 4506/04/2021

[quote]Lots of Oscar buzz for Olga Merediz.

Not to mention the child who plays Gavroche!

by Anonymousreply 4606/04/2021

Why can't shills who start threads ever be original or at least not so fucking obvious?

by Anonymousreply 4706/04/2021

Miranda only knows five tunes and writes everything to those exact same five tunes. Boring as shit.

by Anonymousreply 4806/04/2021

When did Daphne Zuniga get so old? She has a part in this.

by Anonymousreply 4906/04/2021

R41 Wouldn't that be lovely? And even better if Steven blames Ansel for the failure of his multi-million dollar movie and never works with him again.

by Anonymousreply 5006/04/2021

Now this is how you promote a movie! It gives me chills and Oprah. Jon M. Chu is the hot new director in Hollywood.

Spielberg is stuck with that redundant remake and a sexpest as his leading man. Good luck to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51Last Tuesday at 10:26 AM

I watched the first hour of In the Heights and gave up. The performances were great, but there was no real story. A girl needs tuition, another wants to move, and a guy is too shy to ask a girl out. That was how it started and that is where it was an hour later. At about an hour in, the story stops cold so characters and fantasize about winning the lottery in another number that halts the action.

No need to go on.

Even without a story a film can have momentum. This one does not.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Tuesday at 10:39 AM

Slum dog Derrière.

by Anonymousreply 53Last Tuesday at 10:52 AM

Lots of potential blatino husbears up in the Heights.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Tuesday at 11:05 AM

R52, how did you watch it? It’s not out yet.

by Anonymousreply 55Last Tuesday at 11:11 AM

R55, someone shared it on google drive.

by Anonymousreply 56Last Tuesday at 11:14 AM

[quote] [R52], how did you watch it? It’s not out yet.

Stage show maybe?

That’s where I saw it. Critics raved, it was a big hit. I couldn’t even stay conscious - I swear I had petit mal seizures throughout the whole thing because I remember sitting in an uncomfortable theater, looking at my watch and thinking “OMG when is this school play going to end?” If we hadn’t been with another couple I would’ve left my husband in the theater & taken the subway home.

But that’s just me. The rest of the world seemed to love it, giving it raves and talking about the freshness of the music (of which I remember nothing) and the brilliance of LMM. So don’t listen to me. I don’t even watch reality tv. I don’t know the name of any Real Housewives, drag queens, pawnbrokers, or dancing stars. You should watch it & decide for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 57Last Wednesday at 9:20 AM

R57, no.

Read R56. R52 saw the film.

by Anonymousreply 58Last Thursday at 6:59 AM

The reviews are ecstatic. The best movie musical since Grease.

Multiple Oscar nominations next year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59Last Thursday at 8:21 AM

r59=Walter Monheit

by Anonymousreply 60Last Thursday at 8:30 AM

R59, this is one of those times when the reviews can't be believed at all. No professional critic is going to say one bad thing about this. They don't want the accusations of racism that will go with it. They should make an all trans West Side Story and win every single award next year! It will be regarded as the single greatest movie ever made in the history of all cinema!

by Anonymousreply 61Last Thursday at 10:33 AM

Everybody now hates Rita Morena because she tirelessly hates Natalie Wood so WSS is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 62Last Thursday at 10:39 AM

No, just you, R62. Just you.

BTW, it's Moreno, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Thursday at 10:51 AM

[quote]They should make an all trans West Side Story

Great idea! I think I have a Maria in me.

by Anonymousreply 64Last Thursday at 10:52 AM

Along with a Bernardo or two Caitlyn.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Thursday at 11:03 AM

[quote]this is one of those times when the reviews can't be believed at all. No professional critic is going to say one bad thing about this.

Agreed & LMM can currently do no wrong after Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Thursday at 3:22 PM

In The Heights was a much better Broadway experience than Hamilton so the movie could be good.

by Anonymousreply 67Last Thursday at 3:33 PM

You can't make a musical about "The Heights," without including a sassy Puerto Rican trannie, with a blatino husbear.

So these bitches had better deliver!

by Anonymousreply 68Last Thursday at 4:15 PM

So I see all these actors on TV crying about how they have never seen people like themselves in a movie....uhh what? They act like this is the first movie with people of color??

by Anonymousreply 69Last Thursday at 4:17 PM

R69 is cancelled!

by Anonymousreply 70Last Thursday at 4:18 PM

Why does Rita Moreno hate Natalie Wood? Most people who knew her or worked with her loved her.

As for ITH, watching the trailer was enough for me. All the hip hop and rap is something I can't stand. I will, however, see WSS.

by Anonymousreply 71Last Thursday at 4:27 PM

[quote] Why does Rita Moreno hate Natalie Wood?

Rita wanted to taste Natalie's honey pot, but got REJECTED.

Rita has hated her, ever since.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Thursday at 4:28 PM

Did Rita ever fuck Warren Beatty? If so, she got Natalie's snatch indirectly.

by Anonymousreply 73Last Thursday at 4:34 PM

One Broadway, "In The Heights" was cute but inoffensive - and there was barely a book there. I much preferred "Passing Strange". But Stu was an arrogant asshole (though he won the Best Book Tony Award over Miranda) and LMM was very very charming and knew how to cozy up to Tony voters.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Thursday at 4:42 PM

Saw it this afternoon and it was amazing!

I can't wait to visit Washington Heights on my next trip to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 75Last Thursday at 4:43 PM

[quote] When did Daphne Zuniga get so old? She has a part in this.

I heard her cavernous nostrils were used as important shooting locations!

by Anonymousreply 76Last Thursday at 4:48 PM

I hope r75 is joking. WH is a shitbox.

by Anonymousreply 77Last Thursday at 4:50 PM

[quote]. But Stu was an arrogant asshole (though he won the Best Book Tony Award over Miranda)

Interesting, since Lin-Manuel didn't write the book.

by Anonymousreply 78Last Thursday at 4:51 PM

[quote] how did you watch it? It’s not out yet.

Warner has been doing invite screenings in several cities for months now, trying to build hype. People have been posting reviews since late Feb/early March at least. Word is that it’s fun but not particularly great or profound. Lightweight, feel good summer fare and that’s it.

Merediz’s story has been cut significantly from the musical so that probably not going to happen. Maybe a nom for original song for the new piece in the movie but yeah, that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 79Last Thursday at 5:01 PM

Give it a chance r71, it's not as overwhelming as you think it is from the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 80Last Thursday at 5:05 PM

r77, . I've been up here for 15 years and it's never been better, all the parks have been cleaned up and paved and well lit. Upper Broadway used to be a pedestrian nightmare, now there are bike lanes and city bikes and you can circumnavigate all of Manhattan. They restored the original aqueduct bridge and you walk across to the Bronx also a big skate park. Ft. Tryon and the Cloisters is the best place to meet men of all flavors.

Admittedly there are terrible buildings and a few terrible blocks but there are a lot of gems and good deals and new construction. The A and 1 stations have all been restored as well. I can't wait to see it on film.

by Anonymousreply 81Last Thursday at 5:09 PM

I don't go above 96th St. on the East Side.

by Anonymousreply 82Last Thursday at 5:17 PM

[quote] I can't wait to visit Washington Heights on my next trip to NYC.

Are you into Blatino COCK?

by Anonymousreply 83Last Thursday at 5:43 PM

WH is still pretty ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Thursday at 5:46 PM

That was awesome, R51!!

The endorsements for this movie is unreal.

I'm really starting to get the feeling that it's going to be a BLOCKBUSTER.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Thursday at 5:47 PM

Youtube has the first 8 minutes of the movie here....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86Last Thursday at 5:48 PM

Anthony Ramos is hot as hell, and he was sporting a nice bulge in his dance sequences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87Last Thursday at 6:08 PM

The new trend may now be support this stuff to the extreme in print, then quietly "Oops" forget to nominate it when the time comes. Or throw it a bon or two and then give the award to an older white movie star in their final act, as always,

by Anonymousreply 88Last Thursday at 8:38 PM

Spielberg's West Side Story is going to be savaged by the critics.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Thursday at 8:50 PM

I thought Ansel Elgort was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Thursday at 8:55 PM

You man Washington Heights, right? By the George Washington Bridge to New Jersey? My aunt, her husband and my cousin al lived in an apartment in WA Heights. Cuz grew up and married a Hispanic guy, Hector. We were Irish. By then they had moved to New Jersey. Their wedding was fabulous and there were some really good dancers attending. Nice enough area with the Cloisters and right on the Hudson. I don't recall that it was heavily Hispanic back then in the early sixties.

by Anonymousreply 91Last Thursday at 9:00 PM

[quote]Spielberg's West Side Story is going to be savaged by the critics.

And the white theater queens are going to be suicidal over it. They're already fuming that In the Heights is stealing WSS's thunder.

by Anonymousreply 92Last Thursday at 9:05 PM

It's no West Side Story. Wasn't bad, but after watching the clip, I wouldn't watch the movie.

by Anonymousreply 93Last Thursday at 9:12 PM

Evan Hansen will trump them all. But might be nice to have several hit musicals again.. Time is right.

by Anonymousreply 94Last Thursday at 9:14 PM

It seems like the perfect Summer movie!

by Anonymousreply 95Last Thursday at 11:46 PM

I will watch while sipping a refreshing Nutcracker, the official summer cocktail of the Heights.

by Anonymousreply 96Last Friday at 5:44 AM

Although I think some of the raps are clever and the dancing was spectacular, I know I'm probably in the minority, but I did not like this musical on stage.

I'm still not quite sure why it rubbed me the wrong way. It's at least partly because I envision "slice of life" pieces being true to the lived experience (and using an art form) of the people being portrayed. Also I found the storyline sort of pedantic (which of course is true of a lot of musicals but this one really doesn't move at all). I can't pinpoint all the exact reasons. I'm just not a fan.

I'll probably watch it though when it is streaming for free somewhere (just to stay up on my pop culture and compare it to the stage version), but there's no way I'd pay to see this.

by Anonymousreply 97Last Friday at 6:03 AM

It's on HBO Plus, FFS R97!

Just subscribe and watch it there.

I hate rap, but in this case, I think it's true-to-life.

Also, there hasn't been a musical set in NYC for decades.

This one is IT.

by Anonymousreply 98Last Friday at 8:15 AM

Watched it and thought it was spectacular. I want a summer fling with a Latino now.

by Anonymousreply 99Last Friday at 8:18 AM

r98 There's no such thing as "HBO Plus"

by Anonymousreply 100Last Friday at 8:21 AM

Plus, MAXX, Extra.

Whatever, R100.

These companies all come up with different names for the same thing.

CHARGING MORE for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 101Last Friday at 8:25 AM

Just do Piratebay or any of the dozens of free streaming sites. They're easy AF to find.

by Anonymousreply 102Last Friday at 9:42 AM

[quote]On Broadway, "In The Heights" was cute but inoffensive - and there was barely a book there. I much preferred "Passing Strange". But Stu was an arrogant asshole (though he won the Best Book Tony Award over Miranda) and LMM was very very charming and knew how to cozy up to Tony voters.

"Passing Strange" was the far better show and should have won over "In the Heights" (several theater critics said so too at the time) but as you noted, LMM reportedly charmed the voters and so all Stew ended up with was Best Book as a consolation prize.

Speaking of which, I had also heard that Stew's lack of personality didn't help him that season but for what it's worth, a friend and I met him after the show he did in follow-up to "Strange" a few years later (which was not nearly as good) and he was perfectly charming, so perhaps he had learned his lesson.

by Anonymousreply 103Last Friday at 1:51 PM

R98 I don't pay for cable premiums as they are a waste of money. I will only watch this for free. There is nothing authentic about it. You can keep it. LOL

by Anonymousreply 104Last Friday at 5:11 PM

You can watch everything for free online. I can't believe there are people in 2021 who still are clueless about this. It's fucking easy.

by Anonymousreply 105Last Friday at 5:28 PM

With the year already halfway over, it's the leading contender for Best Picture and Best Director. I think it has a very good shot at going all the way. Hollywood knows that the Oscars were a huge bust this year, full of pretentious nominees that no one saw or liked. The dismal ratings reflected that. If they don't change course next year, then the Oscars may be permanently done. That's why I expect a real crowd favorite and critical darling like In the Heights to do very well at the next Oscars.

Peter Travers:

Lin-Manuel Miranda's Tony-winning musical is a surefire Oscar contender that lights up the screen with the immigrant experience of the American Dream. The estupendo cast gives the summer's best party a heart that sings and a spirit that soars.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Friday at 5:48 PM

R105 enlighten us. How do you watch this movie for free online?

by Anonymousreply 107Yesterday at 10:59 AM

That's exciting news, R106!

by Anonymousreply 108Yesterday at 11:00 AM

ITH flopped pretty badly this weekend. This movie is going nowhere near the Oscars, which are stacked this year as it is.

by Anonymousreply 109Yesterday at 11:03 AM

[quote] This movie is going nowhere near the Oscars, which are stacked this year as it is

What other movies are contending for the Oscar, R109?

by Anonymousreply 110Yesterday at 11:05 AM

R109 I agree. ITH waited too late to become a movie. The hoopla around it has died down considerably from when it was on Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 111Yesterday at 11:08 AM

No way, R111.

The "hoopla" has not died down.

I'm seeing advertisements for this movie EVERYWHERE.

And the critics are absolutely raving about it.

In fact, the movie backers are posting the movie reviews, as much as they are showing the movie previews!

by Anonymousreply 112Yesterday at 11:13 AM

Ramos is fugly!

by Anonymousreply 113Yesterday at 11:13 AM

Box Office: "In the Heights" Battling "Quiet Place 2" for No. 1:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114Yesterday at 11:14 AM

R114 Those numbers aren't impressive. A Quiet Place II made $19million over last weekend which was its second week in release for a total of $88million. In the Heights should be retitled In the Red! Considering all the hype it will be a disappointment if not a flop.

by Anonymousreply 115Yesterday at 11:22 AM

ITH is being shown on HBO MAXX free to subscribers. Doesn’t that hurt the BO numbers?

by Anonymousreply 116Yesterday at 12:04 PM

R116, it certainly doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 117Yesterday at 12:07 PM

I was ambivalent about this movie until I discovered OPRAH is shilling it, now I'm against this movie. #CancelLMM

by Anonymousreply 118Yesterday at 12:07 PM

Close-up of Antonio Ramos's skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119Yesterday at 12:08 PM

R107, people have been circulating copies of the film for months.

by Anonymousreply 120Yesterday at 12:12 PM

r107 is 112 years old.

by Anonymousreply 121Yesterday at 12:15 PM

R116 Word of mouth is going to hurt more.

by Anonymousreply 122Yesterday at 2:06 PM

Hamilton 2.0.

Pass.

by Anonymousreply 123Yesterday at 3:48 PM

Anthony Ramos … oh dios mio papi!!!

by Anonymousreply 124a day ago

It was a fun and enchanting ride in the Barrio. It is perfectly casted and directed. Anthony Ramos is bae. A feast for the eyes and soul.

by Anonymousreply 125a day ago

Anthony Ramos can be the Jimmy Stewart of our time

by Anonymousreply 126a day ago

Are there any white people in it? Or is it akin to a movie version of National Geographic?

by Anonymousreply 127a day ago

Am I the only person who loved this? It felt like this generation’s Dirty Dancing.

by Anonymousreply 128a day ago

Forbes calls 'In the Heights' - Box Office Disappoints

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129a day ago

I just watched It for free on HBO, How could the box office not disappoint? I don’t get the way this was rolled out.

by Anonymousreply 130a day ago

It was soaring, highly enjoyable. I usually hate musicals, but this didn’t seem corny.

by Anonymousreply 131a day ago

Yeah, R130, it does seem like a dumb idea to release a film simultaneously to theaters and on streaming and then expect it to make much money at the box office. If given the choice -- especially for a film that's reportedly three hours in length like "In the Heights" -- most people will opt to watch it from the comfort of home.

by Anonymousreply 132a day ago

The box office is not fully back. Some are not entirely comfortable with being inside in close proximity with large crowds for prolonged periods. And sitting in recliners others have been lying on for hours

by Anonymousreply 133a day ago

Fast and Furious 9 will be the next test to reveal whether the box office is back

by Anonymousreply 134a day ago

The only movies that are going to be successful right now are surefire hits and known commodities, like A Quiet Place 2 and Fast and Furious 9.

An unknown niche musical with no big stars, like In the Heights, did as well as it possibly could, but most people are going to watch it at home on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 135a day ago

It was too long and I preferred the Broadway version. I still enjoyed most of it.

by Anonymousreply 136a day ago

R118 = Kate Middleton

by Anonymousreply 137a day ago

[quote] The box office is not fully back. Some are not entirely comfortable with being inside in close proximity with large crowds for prolonged periods. And sitting in recliners others have been lying on for hours

Yeah, but they still could have waited a couple of weeks to release it on HBO.

Do it in a tiered way, so that theaters can at least try to recover some of their losses from last year.

by Anonymousreply 13821 hours ago

He wrote this in 1999 in his second year of college. You can see that it was first describes as a hip-hop "RENT" but now An entire generation has gone by.

IRL He's the Daniela character, "the one who got out" and went to college and found success but decided to stay in the heights. He still lives on the river in one of the apartments in the movie, he didn't move Tribeca or Brentwood.

ITH has no memorable tune or showstopper, it's the first musical I've seen that I can't recall a single tune. The dancing and music was fantastic and even my fairly humorless husband laughed quite a bit. The characters were very real. Ramos was amazing and loveable.

by Anonymousreply 13921 hours ago

I enjoyed it and the being in a theater again was ok. I mean periodically I had to be slapped when I started screaming "we're all going to die."

But overall it was all ok.

by Anonymousreply 14021 hours ago

Lol R140.

Are you nuts???

What did you mean by "We're all going to die?"

by Anonymousreply 14121 hours ago

R127 is a Meghan-hating KLAN GRANNY.

by Anonymousreply 14221 hours ago

Covid!!!!!! Remember? That's why we haven't been to the movies.

by Anonymousreply 14321 hours ago

I love threads so obviously started by publicists!!

by Anonymousreply 14421 hours ago

r144 In The Heights is the biggest musical to come along in years! It has Oscar written all over it. You should go see In The Heights, it is an experience you will never forget. And you'll definitely want to buy the soundtrack, too. Make sure to tell all your friends about In The Heights, which is now playing on HBO Max and in theaters nationwide.

by Anonymousreply 14521 hours ago

Flopped at Box office=no Oscar

by Anonymousreply 14621 hours ago

Rofl R145!!

by Anonymousreply 14721 hours ago

It's about poor people though isn't it? I don't see those types of films.

by Anonymousreply 14821 hours ago

Anthony Ramos comes across in interviews as rather too common and vaguely ethnic to be the future superstar of the all-time, as he is already being crowned by the media.

by Anonymousreply 14921 hours ago

R149 = Miss Tyler Perry, pissed that Anthony Ramos turned her old ass down!

by Anonymousreply 15021 hours ago

When did Anthony Ramos turn down Tyler Perry? I thought the only one who turned Tyler down - and treated him as if he was a stalker, actually - was Diana Ross?

by Anonymousreply 15120 hours ago

I tried steaming it on HBO Max through my PS4 but the picture quality kept vacillating. Odd because I stream Disney+ through the same device & those shows are always in HD, same with Netflix & Hulu through my TiVo. I’ll try again tomorrow, I saw about an hour & liked it but the low res killed me.

by Anonymousreply 15219 hours ago

HBO max has been very wonky tonight it’s not just you

by Anonymousreply 15319 hours ago

HBO Max has also been wonky for me over the past few days, on multiple devices.

by Anonymousreply 15418 hours ago

Glad it’s not just me, it did the same thing when I tried watching Conjuring 3 but was way blurrier. ITH would go from HD to almost HD then to low resolution, just not as bad.

by Anonymousreply 15518 hours ago

HBO's streaming problems started 2 Sundays ago, when Conjuring 3 was released.

by Anonymousreply 1569 hours ago

Do these people have jobs? Is it always summer and people twerking in the streets?

by Anonymousreply 1579 hours ago

[quote]Do these people have jobs?

I won't answer that for fear of sounding racist.

by Anonymousreply 1589 hours ago

Since the entire show is about their jobs, and we see several active workplaces, along with subplots of struggling in college and starting new careers, you wouldn’t sound racist so much as ignorant and stupid.

Which is frequently the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 1599 hours ago

r159 I'm sure you're very successful.

by Anonymousreply 1608 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!