Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Duran Duran drops a new single: "Invisible"

It's pretty good, not super-fantastic or anything, but definitely "Duran Duran" sounding. New album drops towards the end of October (why so long after the single??) The album was originally ready to go last year but was delayed due to Covid. I love that they're still putting out new music. Their last album, Paper Gods, was over five years ago, but it was awesome. I hope this one is as good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2021 5:23 AM

That 'screen door slam' percussion is straight out of 1988, and his vocals seem uninspired and monotonous.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2021 3:02 PM

Alison Moyet did the best “Invisible.”

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2021 6:38 PM

God that was awful

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2021 9:57 PM

That video is nauseating and corny. They're pulling the old horror movie cliched trope that's been used for the past 10+ years now with the blacked out eyes?

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2021 10:28 PM

I'm surprised nobody from Duran Duran ever came out of the closet

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2021 10:29 PM

The song really grew on me. I've listened to it half a dozen times a day.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2021 4:10 AM

The song is okay, but I did like the video.

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2021 4:17 AM

R5, I thought it's been known for decades now that Simon Le Bon is openly Bi.

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2021 9:25 AM

Does not have a nice tone. Unpleasant to the ear.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2021 9:42 AM

I want to like this because I really like Duran Duran, but this is pretty bland.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2021 9:43 AM

There aren't many 1980 new-wave/new-romantic bands still putting out albums, still sounding relevant and fresh. Especially not with most of the original lineup (only Andy Taylor, the guitarist, is missing).

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2021 1:12 PM

fresh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2021 5:53 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2021 8:33 PM

Invisible began with a Le Bon lyric, “a personal thing about a relationship where one person is not listening, and the other person starts to think: maybe I’m just not here”. Soon it grew into something broader, “about being human, and realising there’s a lot of us and we don’t all get heard”. It is a year since it was recorded, but Taylor notes that in that time, as the world has weathered isolation, upheaval and political protest, the song has acquired new layers of meaning. “It’s become enormously resonant,” he says. “And I’m glad that we are not coming back with a party song. That would feel tone deaf.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2021 1:52 PM

"When Duran Duran jumped onto the global music stage in the early 1980s, critics dismissed them as just another teen boy group, albeit with good musical chops, who were most likely the flavor of the moment. But the band continued pounding out albums and scoring hits, and this Sunday’s live performance at the Billboard Music Awards with Blur’s Graham Coxon proves just how wrong the naysayers were."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2021 3:38 AM

How Duran Duran's Billboard Music Awards performance was their most contemporary creative effort

Starting with their 1986 hit 'Notorious', Duran Duran went on to perform 'Invisible' from their upcoming album before ending with one of their most famous songs 'Hungry Like the Wolf'. Sandwiched between two classic hits, Duran Duran unveiled their most contemporary creative effort in a rather strategic manner; old timers lapped up the new song willingly as the classics played to their nostalgia, whereas the young audiences of today got to see how some of the sounds that they’re accustomed to, are actually from a bygone era.

If their performance at the BBMAs is anything to go by, Duran Duran's return is happening at a time when the retro 80s sound has permeated through modern music today. From The Weeknd ('Save Your Tears' remix) to Dua Lipa ('Levitating'), BTS ('Butter') and Carly Rae Jepsen, artists of today are incorporating the 80s sound through instrumentation and songwriting, and even resorting to retro remixes. Beyond just lifting the synth sound of the 80s, these trailblazing artists today are also looking at the overall vibe of the time and attempting to recreate it for an audience that has no idea what that decade sounded like. Music trends, like fashion, is cyclical and the pop culture of today is harking to a time when Duran Duran was most relevant and certainly most successful.

Against this backdrop, Billboard’s decision to have Duran Duran play that 3-song medley is their way of saying "Let's show the kids how this is done". Thankfully, Duran Duran didn't come undone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2021 1:54 PM

This is a lackluster re-entry by Duran Duran.

I compare it to a new song produced by another 80s band, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark/OMD. In 2019, they released this new song (Don't Go), which is very reminiscent of their sound yet still new material.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2021 3:10 PM

Psychedelic Furs also released a new album a year or so ago... only for them, it's the first new album in 29 years, not just five...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2021 7:32 PM

A new single: "More Joy!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2021 12:55 AM

Isn't John Taylor married to the women who owns Juicy Couture? She's probably worth more than he is!

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2021 12:59 AM

I thought Simon was married to a model?

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2021 1:33 AM

Please stop dropping singles. I just vacuumed.

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2021 1:45 AM

Ugh, John Taylor is so fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2021 2:03 AM

I didn’t like the new single. It was depressing, frankly.

Hearing them say something upbeat would sound wrong, I kind of see their point.

Still, something to cheer us up from this hellish year-and-a-half would have been nice. The video was disturbing and awful. Didn’t some artificial intelligence or computer program create it? Hated it.

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2021 2:12 AM

R24, did you listen to the single at R19?

I liked "Invisible", personally. Hated the video, but who cares about that.

I imagine they're saving the 'big' single for the album release in October.

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2021 4:25 AM

The second single ("More Joy") is rather forgettable. A nice song I guess, and would enjoy it as part of listening to the whole album or any sort of duran playlist, but ten minutes after it's over, I can't remember a thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2021 2:28 PM

I don't envy these bands.

If they put out similar music to what they're known for then people complain that it's derivative. If they try something new people whine that it's not enough like the old stuff.

I think Tracey Thorn and Ben Watt of Everything But the Girl had the right idea - to go off and do their own things and never make music under the EBTG name again, to squash expectations.

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2021 2:31 PM

I dunno. I've loved every single Duran Duran album. I have them all, and find the recent ones every bit as good as the early ones.

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2021 2:34 PM

[quote]I thought Simon was married to a model?

Yes, Simon married the British model Yasmin Parvaneh, they've been married since 1985. Yasmin's mom was British, her father, Iranian. Yasmin was born in Oxford.

Here are the Le Bons with two of their three daughters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2021 2:15 AM

I can't stop listening to Anniversary. Best track of the year so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2021 10:57 PM

Yasmin Parvaneh is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 31October 31, 2021 11:45 PM

They're still alive?

by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2021 12:12 AM

Loved Invisible after a few listens. The video is AI. Its not an actual music video. Just AI tripping out.

The great thing is that there have been all sorts of tricks to make shitty singers sound passable. They can now use those to give an assist to older singers who have aged out of their old range. Seems like a better use of audio manipulation. LeBon sounds great here.

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2021 1:07 AM

I love "Tonight United"... the whole album is great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 2, 2021 5:03 AM

Seriously loving their new album. Every track is great. Can't stop listening to it on repeat. Couldn't pick a favorite track if I tried.

by Anonymousreply 35November 11, 2021 5:06 AM

It's their best album in the last five years!

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2021 4:47 AM

Do they still get radio play? I think it's a shame that, because a band or singer passes a certain age, their music no longer gets played on the radio. It's like, "Oh, sorry, even though your new record sounds amazing, you're not 25 anymore, so fuck off."

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2021 5:10 AM

I've heard their single "Anniversary" a few times on the radio...

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2021 5:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!