Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends Step Inside Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis's Sustainable L.A. Farmhouse

[quote] The superstar couple tapped Howard Backen and Vicky Charles to craft a soulful home at one with the land

[quote] There’s surely some Beverly Hillbillies quip that pertains to the home that actors Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis have built on a glorious hilltop site perched above the storied Los Angeles enclave. After all, the high-powered Hollywood transplants—he’s from Iowa; she was born in Ukraine—dug a well on the property to irrigate the land, planted (and harvested) a field of corn during the COVID lockdown, and dubbed the place KuKu Farms. But while Jed, Granny, and the rest of the Clampetts embraced a far more traditional take on Beverly Hills splendor—the sprawling French Neoclassical mansion pictured in the series credits was designed by architect Sumner Spaulding in the early 1930s and renovated by the legendary designer Henri Samuel in the 1980s—Kutcher and Kunis approached their passion project from a decidedly more modest perspective.

Gallery at bottom of article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 7, 2021 2:03 AM

Gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2021 4:28 AM

From the pics I really like it

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2021 4:32 AM

Dude, where’s your car (parked)?

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2021 5:02 AM

Does nothing for me. I dont want to live in a farmhouse, and definitely not a modern take on one either. Its not unpleasant but it doesnt have any wow factor for me either. Meh

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2021 6:57 AM

Pretentious but beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2021 7:23 AM

It seems over designed and so tasteful it’s kitsch

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2021 7:33 AM

Ugh. The 'living room' looks like a hipster wedding venue but with couches. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2021 7:36 AM

I call that look Gulag Chic

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2021 8:14 AM

It will age as well as 1970s wood panelling.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2021 8:30 AM

I don't understand the modern predilection for living in enormously overscaled rooms.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2021 8:49 AM

@r9, I agree, as much as I like it I think these "farmhouses" are going to be the "post modern" remnants of the coming decades

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2021 9:10 AM

Horrid.

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2021 9:19 AM

That thatch of tall prairie grass length weeds and wildflowers and what have you — for the bees! — re crawling with ticks.

The mantra of eco-this and sustainability-that and their good intentions is the worst from the dimwitted Hollywood rich. "We restored two twice-already restored colossal, glass-walled airplane hangars and planted fields of wild flowers — for the bees!" It' enough to make me warm, a fraction of a degree to the blatantly money-grabbing sorts who profess to do no good and to set no examples, the Kochs of the world who set down a whisky to rip the lawn man to shreds, "I've got 600 acres of grass around this house and goddamnit when I'm back in town next month I want to the 600 acres of perfectly manicured lawn that you could bounce a quarter on. Got it?"

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2021 9:23 AM

R13 maybe it's a generational thing. Maybe it's Disney's fault (with the feel good animal stuff,) -- but I'm guilty of the same thing. I have 10 acres and though it comes with a bugs to keep some wild stuff overgrown, there's rewards. We get at least 100 monarchs because we keep the millweed (they are running out because they're cut down), we get several hummingbirds, and fawns born in the feilds (not many walled off from trees like it is here), we get bunnies everywhere, and the yard sounds like an Amazon from the 100s of birds.

See it's an oasis in between developments and farms, a lot of these animals no longer have. I put up with the bugs and spray myself religiously. I do let the farmer hay though to keep it from craziness but it's around the animals schedule.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2021 9:46 AM

R13 oh and you're right on about ticks. Found a bunch last year so I attracted some possum friends to the yard and they had babies -- they eat something like 5000 ticks a per one in a summer. You definitely need to know about how to balance nature though.

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2021 9:51 AM

[quote]KuKu Farms

Christ.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2021 10:08 AM

Oversized rooms need mountains of solar panels and double glazing everywhere. Hope some of those window 'walls' open in summer for a cross breeze?

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2021 10:16 AM

Super stupid.

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2021 10:25 AM

Wow! It's stunning. The right balance of design intricacy, warmth and white space. I love it.

Obviously it's had the shit designed out of it and you could only afford something like that if you were very wealthy but I love it.

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2021 10:37 AM

[Quote]We spent months looking at materials and colors to find the right visual language.

They've spent months looking at colors and all they could come up with was dark brown everywhere?

That place is horrible. I could never live at a place that is so dark.

by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2021 10:44 AM

What are you talking about R20? I can see oranges, greens, yellows, maroon, blues, beiges, grays, pinks, cream, whites and many different colors of wood.

Are you Helen Keller?

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2021 10:55 AM

Oh no, is this an Architectural Digest Impending Divorce House Tour™️?

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2021 10:59 AM

Too Fussy to really be rustic or casual. Given that LA is basically a desert, I wonder how much water was wasted on their corn field.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2021 11:05 AM

It's both gorgeous and slightly excessive; just a bit too stylized.

Also, I never liked "open" combining of spaces. I'm a fan of walls in an interior. They serve a purpose.

My ex built a beautiful home from scratch in a gorgeous patch of woods. He chose an open concept of kitchen and living room and now regrets it. If he could do it over, he'd have put in walls.

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2021 11:06 AM

The article reads like it was written by Meghan Markle. So very, very L.A. pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2021 11:19 AM

It's a great house. Great big. And wooden. Built in a perpetual fire zone. Besides anything else it might be, and I'll leave that to you opinionated bitches, it's also an enormous pile of tinder.

When the fire comes, and it will, KuKu Farms will be no more.

All that money and the guests get bunk beds? Los dos Kukus should have thrown their interior designed out on his ass the moment that idea was proferred to them.

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2021 11:22 AM

Della R24 I'm with you -- So over 'open concept'. Give me a kitchen with walls around it, so the entire living room doesn't smell like food and I can close the door on those dishes when I have visitors.

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2021 11:37 AM

[Quote]What are you talking about [R20]? I can see oranges, greens, yellows, maroon, blues, beiges, grays, pinks, cream, whites and many different colors of wood.

Yes dumbass, what a colorful place. I mean those pink roses in this dark brown, grayish hell really stand out and make all the difference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2021 12:03 PM

I don’t like them.

by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2021 12:04 PM

r27, your observation only a bit varies from ex's remark when he admitted he wished he hadn't chosen open concept: "I don't like it that can see my kitchen sink, across my living room, as I enter from the front door."

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2021 12:09 PM

How do they afford such expensive properties? They've had several. Is he still doing well with all those tech start-ups he invested in?

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2021 12:11 PM

Here you go R28! This should be much more up your alley cunt face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2021 12:14 PM

That's my guess, r31.

The poor have to work for money. The wealthy - money works for you.

Off-topic, but I felt sorry for Demi Moore when Ashton (and an Astronaut Then in Orbit could see it coming) dumped her. It always was to be. I remember when she flew too close to the Sun by that movie premier Red-Carpet photo- op when she arrived with Kutcher, Bruce Willis and their children ,all together.

I must be psychotic, er, I mean psychic, but "This will end in tears - hers", was my first thought when I saw those pix, and so it came to be.

by Anonymousreply 33May 19, 2021 12:20 PM

R30 Della, who got stuck with the house? You or the ex?

And I too hate open floor plans.

by Anonymousreply 34May 19, 2021 12:22 PM

Fuck these cheating breeders. Hey Mila - how you get them is how you lose them.

by Anonymousreply 35May 19, 2021 12:22 PM

He kept it, r34. We mistook a series of drunken one night stands for marriage material. We're on good terms and still talk. I live in a much more modest home ,but love it more.

by Anonymousreply 36May 19, 2021 12:26 PM

This house appears to be an homage to Ashton’s Iowa roots, with the corn field and because it looks like it was designed by Ashton’s mentally challenged brother.

by Anonymousreply 37May 19, 2021 12:26 PM

R36 Glad you didn’t get stuck with his choice in floor plan!

by Anonymousreply 38May 19, 2021 12:29 PM

Although I find it interesting, I think they’re going to have a hard time selling this if they ever do. People in LA seem to either want modern or traditional. A random barn in Beverly Hills or the Hollywood Hills or wherever they live is not going to be most buyers cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 39May 19, 2021 12:34 PM

I love wood and an earthy look, but this is de trop for me. Well done though.

by Anonymousreply 40May 19, 2021 12:37 PM

I just burned a pot of rice. I had to open windows and turn on extractors to get rid of the smell. My kitchen is “semi” open plan - the dining room and living room extend off it with a series of sliding doors.

If it were fully open plan, my entire house would stink.

by Anonymousreply 41May 19, 2021 12:48 PM

It looks like a wedding venue.

by Anonymousreply 42May 19, 2021 12:56 PM

You fucking Markle people are so goddamn annoying, R25. No better than the people who used to find it necessary to insert Trump into every thread.

by Anonymousreply 43May 19, 2021 1:06 PM

I sort of like it - it just seems really out of place in Beverly Hills? I guess at least it's not another white box.

The wood and dark colors turned me off, but then you have to realize how much sun houses get in SoCal. It always perplexed me why there was so much white and light colors in homes that were going to be filled with light 300+ days a year. You need to have some contrast and to soak up some of that, otherwise you need to walk around in sunglasses.

It reminds me of a deluxe, more expensive Joanna Gaines design. The whole farm house aesthetic is something that will never appeal to me.

Oh - and the decor looks like a mashup of CB2, West Elm and Crate and Barrel. These are all items that people can buy themselves - which is fine, but wouldn't you want a unique design?

by Anonymousreply 44May 19, 2021 1:11 PM

OP- It's not very tasteful for a HOMO like Ashton Kutcher to be married to a woman.

by Anonymousreply 45May 19, 2021 1:17 PM

I don’t hate it as a concept and it photographed well, but hell no! Would I want to live in it.

by Anonymousreply 46May 19, 2021 1:25 PM

Damn, that is so freakin nice and peaceful looking. I low key love them as a couple since they were both so pretty on That 70’s Show. But Ashton’s tech investments coupled with Mila’s never ending Family Guy checks are putting in the work.

by Anonymousreply 47May 19, 2021 1:26 PM

I love it. I agree, the dark colors balance out the constant sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 48May 19, 2021 1:31 PM

[quote]This house appears to be an homage to Ashton’s Iowa roots, with the corn field and because it looks like it was designed by Ashton’s mentally challenged brother.

Maybe, Mila also had a hand in designing it. Isn't she blind in one eye?

by Anonymousreply 49May 19, 2021 1:57 PM

[quote]It looks like a wedding venue.

OMG you’re right! Perfect description!

by Anonymousreply 50May 19, 2021 2:21 PM

Having millions of dollars makes a lot of things sustainable. And attainable.

by Anonymousreply 51May 19, 2021 2:32 PM

Sustainability Rating: 8/10

Orgy Suitability Rating: 1/10

by Anonymousreply 52May 19, 2021 2:58 PM

Della, was he at least a Packers’ fan?

by Anonymousreply 53May 19, 2021 3:15 PM

I actually prefer Diane Keaton’s Pinterest house

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2021 3:32 PM

Does anyone else miss color? It's pretty easy to arrange items that are grey, black or white with some greens and wood to soften it up.

I'd like to see more color design - more thought and more patterns. I like simplicity, but you can have simple without being basic.

I feel like everything is designed for "staging to sell" instead of living and enjoying.

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2021 3:38 PM

Hasn't it been all over the gossip rags that he cheated and they're divorcing?

by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2021 3:40 PM

I do love soaring steel windows.

by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2021 4:15 PM

R55 YES. My God, interiors are so fucking boring these days.

by Anonymousreply 58May 19, 2021 5:53 PM

r53, of course!

by Anonymousreply 59May 19, 2021 10:53 PM

There are some elements that I like but I can’t stand the Modern Farmhouse aesthetic. I don’t think it’s going to age well at all.

by Anonymousreply 60May 19, 2021 11:24 PM

I don’t care one way or the other about the house, but this reminded me what a piece of shit AD became about a decade ago. No relevance, at all.

by Anonymousreply 61May 20, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote]My God, interiors are so fucking boring these days.

Very true, R58. It's all variations is cost on the same bland products and finishes turned out by home design TV whether from the Property Brothers or Sarah Beeny, stuff that can be bought at Home Depot or B&Q or bought through a designer who will charge millions to give you the same look only more expensively done, as here at KuKu Farms.

It's like a pack of school girl frenemies who all dress and act and look alike in every possible way because that way they are safe from attention or critique or even praise. Everyone does the same thing for fear of doing something different, and when Pantone issues of "colors of the new year" edict, everything turns from one shade to another of the same thing.

There are good designers, doing interesting and wonderful things, but it takes a concerted effort to find them these days. Instagram has replaced glossy magazines, and it's brilliant if you groom your feed to catch things that there isn't room for in AD because Susanne Summers is selling her house, again.

AD and the few big design magazines left should be kicked in the teeth for following on the Paige Rense model of celebrity worship and helping boost the price of divorcing celebrities homes about to hit the market or giving some name recognition to some forgotten name about to launch some new and dubious project.

by Anonymousreply 62May 20, 2021 8:16 AM

“Farmhouse” chic makes me think of Pinterest and the obsession with “rustic” living and “chunky” decor. I shudder.

It’s not my style at all, but I don’t hate it. Obviously they paid someone well to make the interior look good.

by Anonymousreply 63May 20, 2021 8:25 AM

The neutral color palate in favor today - black, white, grey, beige, and greige - makes everything look like a farm house. Ashton Kutcher just has enough money to take it way over the top.

by Anonymousreply 64May 20, 2021 12:09 PM

People Are Very Confused by Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher's Huge Luxury Farmhouse

Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher recently gave fans a tour of their sustainable Los Angeles farmhouse, but the pictures have quickly caused a bit of confusion among fans who can't seem to decide whether they absolutely hate or love it.

Right now celebrities seem to love showing fans inside their huge mega mansions, with everyone from the Kardashians to Miley Cyrus appearing in Architectural Digest to show people around their impressive homes. Mila and Ashton were the latest celebrities to grace the magazine cover and welcome photographers into their sprawling LA farmhouse, which they've nicknamed 'KuKu Farms.'

The property, which the couple designed together by compiling their own Pinterest boards and then comparing, has taken five years to build from scratch and is, according to Mila and Ashton, entirely sustainable.

However, the grand barn-style project doesn't seem to be in everyone's taste, and it has fans confused, since most of them can't seem to decide whether they love it or hate it. On the one hand, some felt that the barn aesthetic made the home feel both cozy and stylish. But some fans weren't sure about a few of the design decisions, especially having a huge chandelier in a barn, or referring to the room as "the entertainment barn."

Mostly, the sentiment boiled down to complete uncertainty, summed up perfectly by one fan who commented, "God... I love but also kind of don't love it."

Meanwhile on Twitter, people were equally confused by the eccentric house—but wondering if maybe...it works?

So, do we love it or hate it? Let's head to our ~entertainment barns~ to ponder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 22, 2021 8:11 PM

[quote]...freestanding barbecue pavilion...

Well La-Di-DA!

It's very pretty, but oh, my! White people!

by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2021 8:38 PM

Dark. Depressing.

by Anonymousreply 67May 22, 2021 8:41 PM

Racist R66

by Anonymousreply 68May 22, 2021 8:41 PM

The enormously oversized rooms with giant window walls are good for a year-round hot climate, but totally impractical anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 69May 22, 2021 8:44 PM

It's soulless and hypocritical. Extremely luxurious "sustainability". I've heard her on talk shows recently. She's not very clever, like, average IQ and her mind is overtaken by lifestyle pseudo science and pseudo philosophy.

by Anonymousreply 70May 22, 2021 8:47 PM

Very cool.

by Anonymousreply 71May 22, 2021 8:50 PM

This looks like shit. How can you get comfortable in a house like that? It doesn’t look like a home. It doesn’t feel like a home. It probably doesn’t sound like a home when you’re inside of it. I’m shocked so many DLers like this place.

by Anonymousreply 72May 22, 2021 8:58 PM

Diane Keaton's "Pinterest house" looks like a clinic/hospital in an industrial building in a prison work camp.

by Anonymousreply 73May 22, 2021 9:05 PM

Hideous. Not one redeeming item in the design from what I can see. The interiors are horrific. It looks like a Goth halfway house deposited from Kentucky. The architect looks like he had a mental breakdown attempting to marry grandma's barn to those giant windows. Just a full-on fucking mess. Now in the top five of this series of insane design in the place where it should not belong. Does it have a white picket fence?

by Anonymousreply 74May 22, 2021 9:26 PM

[quote] Now in the top five of this series of insane design in the place where it should not belong.

Should a window ought to be there?

by Anonymousreply 75May 22, 2021 9:32 PM

It would be like living in an airplane hangar. Houses like that just aren't my taste at all.

by Anonymousreply 76May 22, 2021 10:03 PM

Taking another look at the Kunis-Kutcher home, I started to wonder how well they are able to heat the place on those very cold Los Angeles nights where it goes down into the mid-to-low 30's. Heat rises to the top, and there is a lot of top going on. It must be blazin' hot way up at the very top of that barn. Good thing they have solar but still ...

Then I began thinking about those massive slider windows and all the bugs getting inside. Birds too. The thought of birds thrashing themselves into the windows trying to escape ... bird shit on the pretty, fluffy couches ... your head ... your guests heads, your children's heads!

How do Mila and Ashton retrieve wood from that soaring wood box next to the fireplace? If it is just for show then I'd steer clear of the area since it must be alive with wood pile spiders. Speaking of spiders, I wonder if the occasional tarantula wanders inside since all of those massive windows are open. Then there are the slithering snakes and other critters roaming about their 6 acres.

It's a strange house. If they love it then that is all that matters. I think it would eventually be a tough sell but buyers looking in that zip code and price range usually don't mind getting out the dozer and starting from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 77May 22, 2021 10:10 PM

I wonder how long their penal sentence is....

by Anonymousreply 78May 22, 2021 10:44 PM

[quote] White people!

She’s white?

by Anonymousreply 79May 22, 2021 10:45 PM

This house is probably very easy to heat and cool. It’s likely sealed up tighter than most DLers’ assholes. It’s a very high performance home with high-end incorporation of the latest building science, ventilation, IAQ measures, undoubtedly a sub-1 ACH50 score, etc, etc, etc, etc.

by Anonymousreply 80May 22, 2021 11:03 PM

The soaring rooms are in the "entertainment pavilion" you plebes. They don't live in those rooms, they ENTERTAIN there.

by Anonymousreply 81May 23, 2021 12:04 AM

R81 You can be "entertaining" and still need a fucking parka if it's too cold in the room.

by Anonymousreply 82May 23, 2021 3:18 AM

I'm obsessed with it. It's so dark and moody.

by Anonymousreply 83May 23, 2021 3:24 AM

[quote] She's not very clever, like, average IQ and her mind is overtaken by lifestyle pseudo science and pseudo philosophy.

Well, she's in Los Angeles, you big silly. That pretty well describes the whole place and most everyone in it.

by Anonymousreply 84May 23, 2021 12:21 PM

It’s a beautiful lot but I can’t stand the faux farmhouse look. It already feels dated and pretentious. I liked their last house better, it was refreshingly traditional; and isn’t it green to just live in a house that was already built?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 23, 2021 12:37 PM

Ugh. I’m nauseous after reading Mila and Ashton’s “commentary” for the AD article. They’re both so undeniably LA. Their whole “look at us and what we have done” approach is just embarrassing and smug. Why are these types of people the ones who keep living when good people die every day?

by Anonymousreply 86May 23, 2021 12:45 PM

That design firm saw these two uneducated yokels coming! They took Mila and Ashton for millions of dollars and left them with a concrete Alabama airport hangar with a chandelier and called it the “modern creation of the century.” What a pile of unlivable shit. I can’t blame the designer; he saw an opportunity and cashed in.

by Anonymousreply 87May 23, 2021 12:50 PM

R86 = Demi Moore

by Anonymousreply 88May 23, 2021 1:06 PM

It’s just that I get a LOUD PEOPLE vibe from both Ashton and Mila. Add children and dogs.

I’d have to go outside for quiet.

by Anonymousreply 89May 23, 2021 1:07 PM

The palce doesn't look very sustainable. LA is basically a desert. Everything should be low water and made out of fireproof material.

by Anonymousreply 90May 23, 2021 1:09 PM

LA (and California) deserves Mila and Ashton.

by Anonymousreply 91May 23, 2021 1:12 PM

Ashton Kutcher played Steve Jobs. While they never met, they lived in opposing tower penthouses at The San Remo.

I want to see this house's solar setup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 23, 2021 3:40 PM

I love their home. It’s beautiful. Simple, but beautiful

by Anonymousreply 93May 23, 2021 3:42 PM

Wonder if his buddy Danny will be coming over for a visit?

by Anonymousreply 94May 23, 2021 3:53 PM

[quote] It's very pretty, but oh, my! White people!

Very tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 95May 23, 2021 4:18 PM

Is Mila even legitimately white? Or “white” the way some people will claim Jay Hernandez is “white” even though he is mestizo?

by Anonymousreply 96May 23, 2021 4:24 PM

Is Jay Hernandez the murdering football player who killed himself in prison?

by Anonymousreply 97May 23, 2021 4:43 PM

R97 no, that’s Aaron. But he’s another example.

by Anonymousreply 98May 23, 2021 4:54 PM

R96 “legitimately white”????

You right wing trolls are so fucking tedious.

by Anonymousreply 99May 23, 2021 4:58 PM

After seeing this mess I can only recall the old saying “a Fool and his (her) money are easily parted.” It looks like a parking deck enclosed in windows.

by Anonymousreply 100May 23, 2021 5:00 PM

Yes, legitimately white. People label anyone not black white these days, as if the world is two races. It’s embarrassing to see how desperate it looks.

by Anonymousreply 101May 23, 2021 5:03 PM

R101 you’re embarrassing. And desperate. This is a thread about a house not weird concepts of racial qualifications gtfo.

This house is a very sound investment considering the architect. They’re very in-demand in california rn and will be for quite some time. The interiors are a mess. There’s no such thing as a sustainable single family house with a footprint and budget like this however - I wish this concept of ‘sustainability’ would disappear. You can’t put solar panels on the roof of a 25,000sq ft house and pretend you care about the environment sorry.

by Anonymousreply 102May 23, 2021 5:16 PM

True r102. And the huge rooms and huge ceilings aren't very eco-friendly.

by Anonymousreply 103May 23, 2021 5:46 PM

Banal and junky. Restoration Hardware and West elm styled.

by Anonymousreply 104May 23, 2021 6:24 PM

I'll never understand celebrities complain about their precious privacy being invaded whenever they do all kinds of things and yet live in basically glass houses where stalkers can watch their every move at home.

If I were a celebrity, I'd live in an underground lair that would make Bond villains jealous.

by Anonymousreply 105May 23, 2021 6:40 PM

I love this house- It’s the new fancy for the next generation. Gone are the marbles and gilt furniture.

by Anonymousreply 106May 23, 2021 6:49 PM

I like the huge chandelier to fill up the space, the gorgeous velvet sofa, the desk posed looking outdoors where one can catch a breeze while working, and the grounds. I want bugs, and birds and critters and the tousled look where I live.

by Anonymousreply 107May 23, 2021 7:01 PM

[quote]This house is a very sound investment considering the architect.

Homes with very specific design aesthetics are rarely good investments. It cuts the pool of potential buyers down significantly. The sellers usually have to reduce the sales price to the point where they end up losing money. Not a lot of people want to live in a rustic barn that costs millions of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 108May 23, 2021 7:01 PM

They will have no problem selling that.

by Anonymousreply 109May 23, 2021 7:04 PM

R108 this architect is a ‘get’, whether you like the taste or not, this is extremely saleable. In a sea of design/build spec houses this is a very safe and solid investment.

by Anonymousreply 110May 23, 2021 7:19 PM

Celebrities are always moving in and out of houses now. Back in the old days, many celebrities lived in the same house for decades.

by Anonymousreply 111May 23, 2021 7:21 PM

Their house in R85 was perfect, and much better than this Amazon warehouse. What’s wrong with these celebrities? Too much free time? They get bored and decide they want a new house?

by Anonymousreply 112May 23, 2021 7:22 PM

I hate houses that are like warehouses, I find them uncomfortable and there is nothing that feels like a "home" to me.

by Anonymousreply 113May 23, 2021 7:47 PM

R112 the house in R85 is not architecture, it’s an assemblage of cheap basic materials put together in a simple thoughtless way that creates habitable space. There’s no thought, nothing specific or particular about it. It’s like clothes versus fashion. The old house is a building, the new house is a piece of architecture. Again whether you like it or not is subjective, but the two are not comparable.

by Anonymousreply 114May 23, 2021 8:01 PM

Like it or not, it is now a house that is publicly associated with two well known celebrities. The resale value has been pumped up a considerable amount by this appearance in Architectural Digest. They will sell for more than they paid, provided they sell before a fire takes it all.

by Anonymousreply 115May 23, 2021 8:38 PM

r114 could you post links to houses you like? I'm not being snarky, I'm curious as to what you would consider a well-designed home.

by Anonymousreply 116May 23, 2021 8:39 PM

[QUOTE] The old house is a building, the new house is a piece of architecture.

Funny, I think the same about these homes—but in reverse.

by Anonymousreply 117May 23, 2021 8:40 PM

R117 funny, your opinion on objective realities doesn’t matter. This is one of those instances where the opinions of the non-qualified don’t really mean much. So you can have your opinion but it’s meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 118May 23, 2021 8:43 PM

R110: For how long? Already this seem slike a candidate for that website, McMansionHell, even if it's bigger and more pretensious than the usual houses on that site.

by Anonymousreply 119May 23, 2021 8:45 PM

[QUOTE] This is one of those instances where the opinions of the non-qualified don’t really mean much. So you can have your opinion but it’s meaningless.

Start a thread with a poll and I bet most DLers would choose to live in the R85 house.

by Anonymousreply 120May 23, 2021 8:51 PM

R120 exactly. This site has zero understanding of modern design. You couldn’t have phrased it better.

by Anonymousreply 121May 23, 2021 8:53 PM

Novelty isn't good design. This impractical "barn" will be plowed under while R85's place will still be around, as conventional as it might seem.

by Anonymousreply 122May 23, 2021 8:58 PM

R119 you should look at the architects website. If you don’t understand the terms of what you’re looking at though then I’m not sure what you’ll learn. And I don’t mean that to be judgmental, but architecture isn’t something that is understood by most. It’s years of training, your eye, your brain, to see things in a certain way and to understand things in certain terms - not everybody gets it.

Stylistically this is not for everyone - and I’m not saying it’s necessarily good, but to compare it to the old house is just comparing two things that aren’t the same, in the structure, materials, design parameters etc etc.

I agree it’s out of scale, but all of these types of residences are. Who really needs their own theater?

by Anonymousreply 123May 23, 2021 8:59 PM

R122 who’s to say which will last longer? You’re just being presumptuous. Which one adds more to the landscape of the built environment? This new one.

by Anonymousreply 124May 23, 2021 9:01 PM

You’re one to talk about presumption. Didn’t you just call the R85 house “an assemblage of cheap basic materials put together in a simple thoughtless way”? How the hell do you know that?

by Anonymousreply 125May 23, 2021 9:15 PM

I like their old traditional house as well. It reminds me of the house Christopher Meloni sold to come back to NYC, as I recall he lived in Ozzie and Harriet Nelson's home but with significant updating. It was a very pretty joint.

Here it is, I found it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 23, 2021 9:17 PM

R125 I’m an architect, I have eyes, and I work in this particular area and encounter these places every day. And by area I mean both high end residential design and this part of Los Angeles. So that’s how I know (not presume). Glad you asked.

by Anonymousreply 127May 23, 2021 9:21 PM

No wonder it looks like a Restoration Hardware store. The same architect firm actually designed them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 23, 2021 9:27 PM

There is a market for celebrity and novelty homes. And there are a lot of idiots who get rich through some lucky business idea or lottery win who have no taste and look for something to show off and a novelty or celebrity home is a perfect investment for that.

by Anonymousreply 129May 23, 2021 10:34 PM

So "farmhouse" in the ironic sense.

And "sustainable" because it uses solar energy. Not because they have composting toilets.

Check.

by Anonymousreply 130May 23, 2021 10:39 PM

R112 I think they wanted to replace the beautiful house at R85 because it was an extremely poor match for their hideous furniture. You can see looking at the interior pics that the new house is a much closer match to their tastes. I actually find that quite understandable to be honest, I wouldnt want the new house for much the same reason - it wouldnt match my furniture etc at all

R120 I would far prefer to live in the house at R85 by far. But that hideous Walmarty looking light fitting in the dining room would have to go! I'm sure somebody would take it away for ten bucks if it were put on Craigslist

by Anonymousreply 131May 23, 2021 11:10 PM

I don’t like the house at r85, very generic.

by Anonymousreply 132May 24, 2021 8:28 AM

R128, HAW HAW!

by Anonymousreply 133May 24, 2021 11:29 PM

“Ashton and Mila are concerned about the quality of the soil, the purity of the food they eat and the water they drink. The ideals of sustainability and regenerative farming aren’t just abstract concepts to them,”

Hypocritical cunts. They’re so into their credo that they whore themselves to do commercial for Cheetos/ Frito Lay

by Anonymousreply 134August 5, 2021 8:53 PM

It looks more like a warehouse than a home. I can't stand houses like that.

by Anonymousreply 135August 5, 2021 9:03 PM

All that dry-looking vegetation right near the house. Looks like the whole thing could burst into flames in a second.

by Anonymousreply 136August 5, 2021 9:07 PM

I can never keep up with who he's boning.

by Anonymousreply 137August 5, 2021 9:17 PM

I bet it smells like a barn. These two do not bathe regularly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 5, 2021 9:23 PM

Those high ceilings are to help aerate and hide their body stench.

by Anonymousreply 139August 5, 2021 9:24 PM

Pee Eww!!

by Anonymousreply 140August 5, 2021 9:37 PM

^They're not stinky. Dermatologists tell you not to have your skin in hot soapy water too much, it gets dried out and you develop rashes. As long as they mop down the smelly, naughty bits regularly, they're fine.

by Anonymousreply 141August 5, 2021 10:16 PM

R141, oh I luv ya....i'm off to get my face cloth to do a bit of wiping down!!

by Anonymousreply 142August 5, 2021 10:37 PM

They don't bathe, so the whole place smells like ass.

by Anonymousreply 143August 5, 2021 10:41 PM

r141 you smell like ass.

by Anonymousreply 144August 6, 2021 12:21 AM

R144 Better that than being a nattering little half-wit like you.

by Anonymousreply 145August 6, 2021 12:28 AM

r145 you need to take a shower, you stink. There's nothing wrong with soap and water. Get to know it.

by Anonymousreply 146August 6, 2021 12:30 AM

My pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 147August 6, 2021 12:32 AM

This is what I don’t understand about these types of houses.

Is that this would cost so much money and the design is very AG friendly but is furniture/design really worth the price. Everything looks like it costs an absolute fortune.

Now if they are able to get it free in exchange for the layout then that’s a different story.

Some of that furniture looks like it could be hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars, not to mention the custom work.

How practical is this for two actors? Income wise.

by Anonymousreply 148August 6, 2021 12:36 AM

R148 they don’t get furniture for free. Interior designers make most of their money on furniture specification, the design fee barely comes into it. Typically the interior designer buys from dealers or manufacturers they have a relationship with, they get a trade discount, they then sell to the client for a little under retail and keep the difference. It’s like a finders fee. A lot of the furniture manufacturers won’t sell directly to people off the street, it’s an industry mechanism. And custom stuff would always be done through your interior designer, so the designer makes a kind of facilitation fee. You’re paying for access. Of course for this the designer assumes a certain amount of risk, if there are any post install issues it’s the interior designers responsibility to control the management of making the problem right, so it’s not necessarily an unfair situation to the client at all. They also have to control shipping, storage, install, hiring installers, coordinating install etc. which is a lot more work than it sounds. Manufacturers don’t typically want to deal with the end user client, because the communication is nightmarish, so it works for everyone to manage it this way.

by Anonymousreply 149August 7, 2021 2:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!