Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FX's six-part 'Pride' docuseries

The first three episodes are online on FX/Hulu.

Some great interviews, fascinating vintage footage, but it focuses a lot on...you guessed it: trans POC!

And of course the Stonewall discussion, while not falsely claiming Sylvia & Marsha "led" the riot, quotes them as representative, and omits any mention of the white gay men who were there, some of whom are still alive and would have been available for interviews. The segment even hones in on the few Black people in the historic post-Stonewall 'Village Voice' photos by Fred W. McDarrah.

The rest of it is better; good dramatized scenes, familiar names to those who've done their homework, and required viewing for the young ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2021 5:23 PM

OP thinks the only way to honor gay people is to attack trans people and black people

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2021 3:02 AM

Literal violence!

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2021 3:03 AM

R1 is an easily triggered frail idiot who thinks stating the factual details of a flawed documentary series is "literal violence."

R1 is a dupe who should watch the series for them/zir-selves.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2021 3:06 AM

How much of this will be dedicated to trans history?

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2021 5:49 AM

How are you still able to post? You were spamming us with poop threads a few weeks ago, I would have thought that would merit a perma ban.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2021 8:37 AM

R5, how are you still able to breathe without instructions, you clueless Nancy Drew failure? I've never posted about that fecal topic, and you're raging about someone else. I'd offer a quick lesson on how to track a person's posts, but it would make your pea brain explode.

Back to the FX series: great vintage film excerpts. The first episode is the best of the three now viewable.

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2021 7:26 PM

I tried, but I just couldn't with this shit. It was the usual "Trans and POC did EVERYTHING" horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2021 1:41 AM

This is what rewriting history looks like, folks. This is going to look so disingenuous in a generation or so.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2021 3:19 AM

Yeah, episodes 4-6 were an overload of "as a trans Black woman," "as a trans Black woman sex worker," trans men, trans Black men and Black queer men.

It really should have been titled "FX's Black Trans Pride."

ACT UP was reduced to one lesbian woman's life story, the predictably cast Ann Northrup; a great woman, but still. The great Vito Russo got a mere few seconds in the background.

The only white gay men included were Michaal Musto recalling ye olde East Village Days, with fascinating footage (mostly of nightlife queens) by a dead gay guy; oh, and an SF HIV+ male activist. The 'culture wars' segment was compelling, but homophobes got more archival footage time than gay people.

The only Asian representation was Margaret Cho.

There were no Asian or Latino men included at all.

Interviewees critique the "white gay male" majority, while deliberately omitting them from the episodes.

The marriage rights segment at least included a "cis" male Black/white couple, but focused on th Black partner, s if his husband, a cosigner in the lawsuit, was a sidebar.

Vice and FX accomplished their clearly intended goal of disproportionately focusing on anyone but gay men.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2021 3:51 AM

I was looking forward to the debauchery and disco decadence of the 70s but instead we got frumpy gender nonbinaries bitching about everything. I turned it off.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2021 4:36 AM

I can't speak for earlier generations, but when I was a young gay man going out and about to every gay bar and club in NYC in the 1990s, I seriously cannot recall any trans people. Like, none. In all of those places it was like 95% gay men and the rest were women, both straight and lesbian. That was it.

I can't remember any real trans presence in NYC in the 90s except the hookers over by the West Side Highway. To hear it now, they were out and about everywhere you went and that is simply not true.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2021 4:40 AM

Those hookers are your sheroes! You wouldn't have gay marriage without all their $20 sloppy blowjobs given to truckers in the meatpacking district!

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2021 5:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!