Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Priest's Habits

What's your favorite priest's habit?

I love the habit that they need to "test" a bunch of wine to make sure it's ok for the parishoners.

by Anonymousreply 65June 27, 2021 5:23 PM

When they check my development.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2021 3:47 PM

I thought it was the nuns who wore habits, not the priests.

Remember, you can kiss a nun, but don't get in the habit.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2021 4:06 PM

I liked Father B's habit of gently stroking the front of my cassock until I just had to pull it up and unzip my trousers.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2021 4:11 PM

I like Priests habits of SUCKING COCK

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2021 4:18 PM

I like the Dominicans. In San Marco in Florence in every monk’s cell Fra Angelico painted a religious scene with a monk peeking out from somewhere. It’s like Where’s Waldo, but not hard. But they are always fun and reverential.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2021 4:30 PM

Nuns are the ones with habits.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2021 4:41 PM

^ Priests are the ones with the BAD habits

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2021 4:50 PM

Loved the movie--"Nasty Habits." Only nuns, though.

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote] I love the habit that they need to "test" a bunch of wine to make sure it's ok for the parishoners.

What does this even mean?

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2021 5:10 PM

R9 is a shoeless Baptist.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2021 5:15 PM

Any member of a religious order or congregation would have a habit: nuns, sisters, monks, brothers, priests.

Secular priests (in other words, diocesan priests) are not members of a religious order/congregation and therefore do not have a religious habit. They wear black clerical attire and are able to wear a cassock if they wish.

Nuns/Sisters/Monks/Brothers/and religious priests would have a habit proper to the order/congregation to which they belong. Some examples of "religious priests" would be: Holy Cross Fathers & Brothers; Jesuits; Dominicans; Benedictines; Augustinians; Paulist Fathers; Oblates of the Virgin Mary; etc.

Only religious (nuns/sisters/monks/brothers/religious priests) make vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Secular clergy (diocesan priests) do not make vows. Rather, they make a promise to remain celibate (unmarried) and they make a promise of obedience to their bishop and to his successors.

Therefore, one can imagine and support the idea of secular priests marrying. What sets these diocesan priests apart is not their manner of life, but rather that they are ordained to celebrate the sacraments. There is no reason they couldn't do what they do but with a spouse and children. The Episcopal Church's clergy manage this quite nicely.

Religious priests (as well as nuns/sisters/monks/brothers), however, are distinguished not by what they do (their work can be done by lay people just as well—teaching, nursing, work with the poor, etc), but rather by their unique manner of life (living in community, the vow of poverty which means that they cannot ever own anything like a car or property, and obedience to their superiors). Therefore, to say that "nuns should be allowed to get married" makes absolutely no sense. Why? Because community life is essential to members of a religious order/congregation. They live together, pray several times a day together, and share everything in common. This could not be done if one was married.

Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2021 5:24 PM

Jesuits in the US do not have habits, R11. Overall their history in regard to habits is complicated. Their founder wanted no specific habit for the order. Father Martin is a big advocate for LGBTQ Catholics.

The major habit of Jesuits is drinking whiskey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2021 5:35 PM

Yes, I have met Jim Martin, SJ a number of times and like him very much.

There is a so-called "Jesuit cassock" that it slightly different from the "Roman cassock" that is sometimes worn by secular clergy (diocesan priests). But, as Fr. Martin says, these are seldom worn anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2021 5:51 PM

R11 Thanks for this! I have an "ex" (I put ex in quotations because we technically were not dating but we totally were) from back when I was in college who is now a Franciscan Friar. They have a traditional habit but it's no longer enforced. Community members have the option of wearing the habit, secular clothes or (if they have been ordained) clerics clothes.

Speaking of Priests and marriage, I still think that the majority of priests (whether a secular priest or religious) do not wish to get married. There are number of reasons for this, but the priesthood has historically been a "sheltering place" for people with issues surrounding their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2021 6:36 PM

Favorite habit?

The way we "alter boys."

Hee.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2021 6:39 PM

R14, you are right. I know a good many gay priests and the celibate life protects their sexual orientation. If priests could all of a sudden marry, it would make it more obvious which priests were gay (because in the Catholic Church, they would not be permitted to marry — at least not presently).

That said, I still think that secular priests should be allowed to marry. The first thousand years in the history of the Church had a married clergy. The discipline of clerical celibacy came about as a way to avoid the scandal of divorce and it was also used as an effective way to protect church property (i.e., no wives, no loss of church property to inheritance laws). It also saves a lot of money in terms of benefits (no wives or children to support).

These are not good enough reasons to maintain the discipline of priestly celibacy. It also has resulted in a priesthood with an unusually high percentage of gay priests. Sometimes a man who is straight enters a seminary and doesn't know why he doesn't feel as though he "fits in" and can assume that he does not have a vocation to the priesthood. The reality is, he doesn't feel like he fits in because he is straight and is living with a large number of gay men.

I am not at all suggesting that gay men should not be ordained. Thank God for so many gay priests. But, there is an imbalance presently and the situation also results in many men in the priesthood leading double lives and having to hide who they are. Of course, this is a different conversation (the Church allowing all gay people to marry—which would include gay members of the clergy).

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2021 6:52 PM

Daniel Cronin, S.J. in R13 is hawt. Langcake was known behind his back as Father Neckbeard.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2021 8:00 PM

Mine squeezed the altar boys’ balls, mine included, to see “how we were developing into men.”

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2021 8:16 PM

The ICKSP look fabulous in their choir dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2021 9:23 PM

As a non-religious person with non-religious parents, I have to say I found my niece's Catholic wedding quite funny. It was a "Full Mass" and we had to stand up and sit down over and over again. My legs were actually sore the next day. And the priest had a little helper guy who ran all over the stage, sitting down, standing up, rearranging things, it was quite the choreographed production. I couldn't believe that people take this all seriously.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2021 10:19 PM

R20, I can’t believe your legs were sore from having to sit down and stand up a few times. You must be in terrible shape.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote] I couldn't believe that people take this all seriously.

They don’t, for the most part…it’s theater. I’m a member of Grace Cathedral in SF and our bursar once said that mass was “the best show in The City for a buck” , which is what most non-members throw in the plate. It’s about the smells snd bells and costumes.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote] The ICKSP look fabulous in their choir dress.

Yes, they certainly do. That congregation is right wing to the extreme. But they look great, there's no question about that.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2021 12:15 AM

[quote] It was a "Full Mass" and we had to stand up and sit down over and over again. My legs were actually sore the next day. And the priest had a little helper guy who ran all over the stage, sitting down, standing up, rearranging things, it was quite the choreographed production. I couldn't believe that people take this all seriously.

First of all, I love when people say "full Mass" — there is no such thing as a partial Mass. It's either Mass or it's not Mass. In the case of a wedding, some people, particularly Catholics entering into a "mixed marriage" with a non-Catholic, may have a wedding ceremony which is not Mass at all.

Secondly, you had to stand up and sit down over and over again. That's quite an exaggeration. You probably stand up and sit down over and over again much more at a concert or sporting event. If your legs were "actually sore the next day" then you should see a doctor. Don't you stand up and sit down multiple times every day? You sound like a piece of work.

Thirdly, it's not a "stage" but a "sanctuary" and the priest's "little helper" was an acolyte. The Mass is ritual. That is not unusual in religious ceremonies of all faith traditions. I guess you've never been to a synagogue. The fact that you "can't believe that people take this all seriously" says a lot about you. It's also offensive.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2021 1:35 AM

“Dominique, nique, nique s’habillait tout simplement...”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2021 2:15 AM

I would have said 'diddling altarboys' to be clever, but I dated a priest back in the day who left me for a former altarboy.

I was not amused.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2021 7:54 AM

R25 there’s a bakery full of cookies being smelled in that photo!

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2021 8:25 AM

R22 Grace Cathedral is Episcopal not Catholic. Episcopalians say that because (I'll let you in on a not very well kept secret) they believe in nothing. Most Catholics aren't like that.

That's why in a hundred years from now there will still be a Catholic Church and the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States will only be something in the history books.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2021 12:39 PM

Seminarians at the Pontifical Scots College, Rome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2021 7:24 PM

R21, R24, it wasn't a "few times", more like 30 or 40 times. Up, down, up, down - a total work out.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2021 8:49 PM

[quote] it wasn't a "few times", more like 30 or 40 times. Up, down, up, down - a total work out.

I am more than a little familiar with the Roman Catholic Mass and also the Nuptial Mass and there is no way you were up and down 30 or 40 times.

You'd start out standing for the Entrance Rite and would then sit for the Liturgy of the Word (scripture readings).

You would have stood for the Gosepl Acclamation (Alleluia) followed by the proclamation of the Gospel. Once the Gospel was oner you would have sat down for the homily.

You would have stood for the Statement of Intentions and the Exchange of Consent. You would continue standing for the Blessing and Giving of Rings. You would remain standing for the Prayer of the Faithful.

Then you would sit for the Offertory Song and the Preparation of the Altar and the Gifts.

You would then stand for the beginning of the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

After the Sancus, you would have knelt.

At the Great Amen, you would have stood.

After singing the Lamb of God, you would have knelt and remained kneeling throughout the distribution of Holy Communion.

At the conclusion of Communion, you would have sat.

For the Prayer After Communion, Blessing, Dismissal, and Recessional, you would have stood.

By my count, that means that at a Catholic Nuptial Mass, you stand for a total of six times. This is a far cry from "30 or 40 times."

If you stood 30 times in the course of a Mass, that would mean you were up and down at least every two minutes.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2021 10:43 PM

Maybe they should have had a Byzantine Rite marriage where everyone stands forever. A Greek acquaintance posted a photo of his parents at the wedding service with the statement "Don't make fun of how my parents look, you have to realize that they have been standing in the same place for three hours. "

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2021 1:42 AM

I once went to a Divine Liturgy in the Melkite rite. The congregation sat down for the ten minute homily and that’s it. The other hour and forty five minutes we stood. Eastern churches are hardcore like that.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2021 3:31 AM

R11, you didn't mention that Franciscans wear habits. Is true that Franciscans are the gayest order?

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2021 3:37 AM

R28, As an Episcopalian, unlike Roman Catholics, we have but one sin "The Sin of Poor Taste."

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2021 3:43 AM

[quote] you didn't mention that Franciscans wear habits. Is true that Franciscans are the gayest order?

There are literally thousands of orders and congregations. I merely gave a few examples. Yes, of course the Franciscans wear habits.

Are they the "gayest order?" I have no idea. But I wouldn't think so. Why do you ask? Are you experiencing a calling?

by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2021 3:54 PM

[quote] As an Episcopalian, unlike Roman Catholics, we have but one sin "The Sin of Poor Taste."

Yes, I belong to the Church of the Tasteful Redeemer and we have the loveliest liturgies followed by sherry hour.

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2021 3:56 PM

R34 & R36 I don't know about the Franciscans being the "gayest" order, but at least in North America, they are fairly progressive on gay issues. There are several Fransicans active on social media who are very pro-LGBT (Fr. Dan Horan for example). The priesthood in general has an "over representation" of gay men compared to other professions and I suspect many friars/monks/priest who live in community are probably gay.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2021 2:56 AM

Priests have certain habits with altar boys.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2021 3:10 AM

I've never heard of a Catholic church that serves wine to the parishioners, only the bread. Only the priest drinks the wine. I don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2021 3:21 AM

The Christian Brothers tab collar is interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2021 3:30 AM

Since Vatican II the wine can be served to the parishioners. Some parishes do not, usually a sign of a conservative parish. During Covid crisis even with a return to in-person masses the chalice is being withheld from the people due to health concerns.

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2021 11:12 AM

[quote] I've never heard of a Catholic church that serves wine to the parishioners, only the bread. Only the priest drinks the wine. I don't know why.

Not true at all. Many parishes distribute the Precious Blood. In fact, the church I go to offers both consecrated wine and also consecrated non-alcoholic wine for those in recovery.

As R42 said, however, since the pandemic, parishes are not offering Communion under both species.

by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2021 12:32 PM

The habit of the Xaverian Brothers. Note the peek-a-boo Jesus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2021 1:03 PM

The priest who picks you up and asks you to come over to his house because he wants to ask you about being Gay…..because he’s writing a book on homosexuality……..you get to his house and it becomes clear that he has impure thoughts…..then tells you before he can accurately assess what it is like to be homosexual…he has to ‘feel’ what a homosexual feels….and it just goes to hell from there.

by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2021 3:01 PM

R45, did you report this?

by Anonymousreply 46June 22, 2021 3:14 PM

Cool story r45.

by Anonymousreply 47June 22, 2021 4:50 PM

[quote] Cool story

Are you serious? Sexual abuse of a minor is hardly what I'd call a "cool story."

by Anonymousreply 48June 22, 2021 4:54 PM

R46 R47 R48

No ,I did not report him to the Bishop….he became a good friend…..turned out to be one of the kindest men I ever met…self-loathing to some degree though …and I wasn’t a minor..met him through an ad he posted…responded out of curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 49June 22, 2021 4:59 PM

Ah, okay. A diocesan priest?

by Anonymousreply 50June 22, 2021 5:00 PM

Yes…I was young and so very naive…but he took me under his wing so to speak……sort of fell in love with him …all closet though…I don’t think anyone suspected our relationship.

by Anonymousreply 51June 22, 2021 5:04 PM

Priest struggle deeply with being Gay…….kiddie fuckers are a different breed all together…hate those fuckers

by Anonymousreply 52June 22, 2021 5:08 PM

We ended up going separate ways primarily because I couldn’t do the ‘closet’ thing. And he had chosen a path of celibacy and I couldn’t be a part of him violating his vows. But I still have very fond memories of him…..long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 53June 22, 2021 5:12 PM

Secular priests do NOT make vows. Religious priests make vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Secular priests make a promise to remain celibate (unmarried) and they make a promise to be obedient to their bishop and his successors.

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2021 1:14 PM

Not all religious make vows either, r54. Those in societies of apostolic life make promises to their communities to live the evangelical counsels (poverty/gospel simplicity, chastity and obedience).

by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2021 2:21 PM

[quote] Not all religious make vows either, [R54]. Those in societies of apostolic life make promises to their communities to live the evangelical counsels (poverty/gospel simplicity, chastity and obedience).

Good point!

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2021 2:34 PM

[quote] Nuns are the ones with habits.

Stupid remark. All religious orders and congregations have a habit: Nuns/Sisters/Monks/Brothers/and religious priests. The habits that women religious wore up until the Second Vatican Council (1962 to 1965) were modified for the sake of simplicity and many Sisters in active congregations do not wear a habit at all. Cloistered nuns usually wear a habit. Monks usually wear habits. Brothers sometimes do.

This is only to say that religious habits are not unique to nuns.

by Anonymousreply 57June 25, 2021 12:02 AM

The very first time I went to a Catholic church service (a friend got me to go), afterwards the priest kept going on and on at me about how they needed money. I was immediately turned off. I got a rather creepy and bad vibe from him. So I'd say the habit of extorting money from parishioners especially when the Catholic church is supposed to be quite rich.

by Anonymousreply 58June 25, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote] What's your favorite priest's habit?

The secret flask of whiskey tucked in the inside seam of their cassock.

by Anonymousreply 59June 25, 2021 12:12 AM

R45 That sounds like a video on Yes, Father.

by Anonymousreply 60June 25, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote] So I'd say the habit of extorting money from parishioners especially when the Catholic church is supposed to be quite rich.

Silly thing to say. Parishes rely on support from parishioners because it's their parish. Contributing to one's church is not at all like contributing to your alma mater or to The United Way. The people need to support the life and ministry of the parish. Parishes do not get any money from their diocese or from Rome. In fact, the opposite is true—parishes get taxed from their diocese and have to pay annually to support the works of the diocese and the infrastructure of the diocese. Parishes also have an annual collection called 'Peter's Pence' that goes to the Vatican to support the charitable works of the Holy Father.

Harvard has a saying, "Every tub on its own bottom" and that means that each professional school (Business, Law, Divinity, Education, etc) has to float on it's own. The professional schools receive no money from "Harvard University." The same is true of the Catholic Church. Each parish has to support itself: pay its own bills, pay the salary and benefits of its staff, etc. If a parish cannot do that, they typically get suppressed (closed). There are occasionally a few particularly poor parishes in certain dioceses (inner city parishes) that simply cannot survive on their own and those parishes might be subsidized by their diocese and that money comes from the tax that every other parishes tax assessment. This is very rare, but it happens.

So when people say that their parish is begging or "extorting" money from its parishioners when the Church is wealthy, it's just not accurate.

It's not "Father's church" and the people are there to pay the bills—but rather, it is the people's church and they need to support it to keep the lights on, the staff paid, and the programs going.

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2021 12:45 AM

R61, sorry but I've been to the Vatican City and erm.. I never wanted to again after that one time. The Church is full of creeps.. my god, I've heard so many stories.

by Anonymousreply 62June 25, 2021 4:07 AM

You've been to Vatican City and you met a lot of creeps? That's really hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 63June 25, 2021 6:26 PM

Priests are often so full of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 64June 27, 2021 4:04 PM

I think priests get moved around a lot these days for that reason. If you always relatively new, you don’t achieve the unquestionable status that allowed pedophiles to operate with impunity. I think Pope Francis is trying to eliminate much of the bureaucratic rot in the upper echelons of the Vatican, Too many live like kings and have forgotten their duty is to the Church, not themselves.

by Anonymousreply 65June 27, 2021 5:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!