Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which forum has the better level of discussion, reddit or datalounge?

Give your marks with regard to entertainment value, information, humor, gay life, gossip, politics, sex. No marks for bringing up bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 32May 13, 2021 11:09 PM

I've never taken the time to figure out how Reddit works.

It seem very confusing to me, while DL is more intuitive.

by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2021 5:54 PM

Datalounge.

Reddit is the pits these days, unless you like being up- and down-voted by extremely earnest 20-year-olds. Most DLers would have to bubble-wrap their tongue over there.

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2021 5:56 PM

I'm not a Reddit poster, but I have read some of the threads. Depends on the topic, I guess. The DL format is simpler (linear, instead of like a tree with branches). DL is probably funnier.

I'd like to post on Quora, but they require you to use your real name. Some long-winded posts on Quora as well.

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2021 5:59 PM

DataLounge. I post on both, and the gatekeepers here are good about keeping topics to single threads and not rehashing the same shit in different posts every single day (r/gaybros and r/askgaybros now exist solely to validate bottoms and small-dicked tops).

Also, the downvotes and ability to view past posts creates an echochamber. Here I say whatever I want, regardless of whether people disagree. I also don’t care if I’m ignored by people...whereas I hate getting downvoted on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2021 6:03 PM

This should’ve been a poll.

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2021 6:12 PM

I feel relieved to return to DL if I’ve been to Reddit, it’s like preferring your moms cooking. You can’t have another opinion over there or you’ll get downvoted and cyber flogged.

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2021 6:13 PM

DL. Reddit is too censored and too PC and is ruled by the mob mentality.

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2021 6:14 PM

[quote] This should’ve been a poll.

Yes! Two choices, maybe more! How hard would that have been?

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2021 6:20 PM

Datalounge has FAR better discussions for entertainment value, information, humor, gay life, gossip, politics, sex.

Reddit has a better format though and it is way easier to track your old activity on it, and I find it far easier to use.

Plus if you want information on a specific subject, reddit is probably better due to it being divided up into thousands of sub-forums

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2021 6:21 PM

Reddit can be difficult to use. For instance you can be reading a thread and then it has a link that says “continue reading thread”. You press it and it takes you to another page. But the thread you were reading initially is not right in front of you. You have to scroll upwards till you find it. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? It’s very frustrating! Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2021 7:14 PM

Reddit is great for consumer reviews and tips/tricks. For those who are a little intimidated to navigate the site, I typically just Google search what I want and preface the search with "reddit". So for example, I wanted a quick refresher on what tax software I should use, so I googled "reddit best tax software" and went from there.

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2021 8:27 PM

I do the same thing R11. There’s a lot of useful information on Reddit. You just need to sort through it.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2021 8:59 PM

Reddit is the same fucking jokes over and over again. At least on DL, the jokes have a new spin. Like the Patsy Ramsey jokes may get old, but at least they always have a new context. On reddit, it is literally the same joke again and again. And God forbid you quote a song, the next 20 post will be people posting the next line in the song, and the next one, ect.

Reddit is good for some nitch communities, like the Duggar Snark is really funny. But any mainstream sub is just horrible.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2021 9:17 PM

^On some subs, heaven forbid you try to discuss anything pre-2005. You'll get cross-eyed looks like you're discussing medieval antiquities.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2021 9:22 PM

Film discussions are better in Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2021 9:24 PM

reddit has semi-accountable accounts, so it will always have more Real News and quality discussion.

DL is all trolls, Fake News and sport hatred.

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2021 9:35 PM

Reddit is swamped with Chinese and Russian bots.

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2021 9:46 PM

Reddit is lame. Why are the first Five hundred comments in every news article always completely off topic? It's obnoxious. Their ESTs are mildly entertaining though,I will give them that.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2021 10:05 PM

DL is better.

by Anonymousreply 19May 13, 2021 4:14 AM

Discussion, an exchange of ideas, thoughts and observations, is obsolete. Berating, hectoring, shrieking, scolding, disparaging, denigrating and woeful ignorance are the only games on the forum elementary school playground.

by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2021 4:26 AM

I don’t use Reddit for gay content because it skews towards twinks. I don’t use Datalounge for Cats Are Assholes just because.

by Anonymousreply 21May 13, 2021 4:35 AM

R1 Thank you. The layout on Reddit is a mess and looks like something from 2002

by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2021 4:41 AM

[quote] only games on the forum elementary school playground.

You're not kidding about this part. One of my favorite [totally non-political] subs feels like a McDonalds playhouse now. I might as well be the recess aide there now.

by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2021 7:04 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't a big Reddit guy. I can't get into it's user experience. I can't find anything and then get lost down some rabbit hole. It's not terrible. But there's something nice and familiar about DL. It feels more prive.

by Anonymousreply 24May 13, 2021 7:23 AM

I like both but much prefer DL.

I prefer the format of DL (except that you cannot edit your posts). I find Reddit a bit difficult to use. I do like, though, that Reddit has a thread on just about everything.

But I like the humour here more. The "Dead to Me", the Darfur Orphan, the Liza translations, the "has Susan Dey commented?"

It really is like comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 25May 13, 2021 7:28 AM

Reddit is pedo tranny admin territory. DLer wouldn't manage to stay on there for more than a week if they spoke their mind even a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 26May 13, 2021 7:30 AM

[quote] nitch

scream

by Anonymousreply 27May 13, 2021 7:34 AM

R26 I agree. I like that I can say whatever the fuck I want on DL. So many people here are hilarious with rapier sharp wits. It's like how playing tennis with someone a bit better than you makes it more fun.

by Anonymousreply 28May 13, 2021 7:41 AM

Reddit is full of teenager. It's pointless getting into discussions there because arguing with 15 year old is futile. Pay sites do filter 90% of the riff raff and children.

by Anonymousreply 29May 13, 2021 7:47 AM

I miss google plus

by Anonymousreply 30May 13, 2021 7:52 AM

I look in on Data Lounge daily. I go to Reddit when I have a specific enquiry or interest - which rarely overlaps with anything gay or DL content. I've spent very little time in Reddit's gay zone. Typically I'm pleased to find a thread specific to an interest but the pleasure wears off quickly as I see that a seemingly long thread has two good posts and the rest far off topic or attempts to police the posters. Mostly though the navigation is a chore: you have to look for something very specific and the I never get pulled into the "I don't give a shit about this subject, but the OP is so insane I have to see what it's about." Reddit is much more anti-serendipitous.

by Anonymousreply 31May 13, 2021 8:40 AM

All those teens killed Reddit

by Anonymousreply 32May 13, 2021 11:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!